PDA

View Full Version : What did you want to be when you grew up?

Apocalipstic
04-05-2010, 03:39 PM
When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I never imagined for a minute I would live to grow up, what with hellfire and brimstone and the pesky communist nuclear threat....detente...all that.

I do however, in keeping with my theme of not being alive at 46, remember really wanting to be a vampire.

Hack
04-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Taller.

Ok, ok....an archeologist.

Kenna
04-05-2010, 04:00 PM

I never imagined for a minute I would live to grow up, what with hellfire and brimstone and the pesky communist nuclear threat....detente...all that.

I do however, in keeping with my theme of not being alive at 46, remember really wanting to be a vampire.

Hmmmm :deepthoughts: :deepthoughts:
Have always wanted to be an Archeologist.
a geologist... marine biologist... cartgrapher/topographer...Air Force Jet Pilot...Dauphin Trainer/Rescuer...Biplane Pilot... veterinarian... and in my spare time on the weekends, an owner of a Hot Air Balloon Tours company...

Apocalipstic
04-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Taller.

Cool!

Hmmmm :deepthoughts: :deepthoughts:
Have always wanted to be an Archeologist.
a geologist... marine biologist... cartgrapher/topographer...Air Force Jet Pilot...Dauphin Trainer/Rescuer...Biplane Pilot... veterinarian... and in my spare time on the weekends, an owner of a Hot Air Balloon Tours company...

All at once?

Kenna
04-05-2010, 04:02 PM
How funny is that!!
Hack and I both post at 6pm and both say Archeologist!!

Kenna
04-05-2010, 04:03 PM
All at once?

Why not? Just call me a major multi-tasker! LOL

Apocalipstic
04-05-2010, 04:06 PM
I though archaeology stuff was cool too, I just never thought the world would last that long...that and, I do not like camping.

I wanted to read 24/7.

UofMfan
04-05-2010, 04:07 PM
A pilot :flying:

MsTinkerbelly
04-05-2010, 04:10 PM
I decided in the 7th grade I was going to take Chinese and live and work in China. I took Chinese in the 7th, 8th, and 9th grade, and remember very little of what I learned. I wish I had studied Spanish...at least I could have used Spanish.

Laidbackgrly
04-05-2010, 04:16 PM
:alieninjar:I wanted to be a astronaught:alieninjar:

Soft*Silver
04-05-2010, 04:24 PM
I wanted to raise horses. I got to do that. I bred some very fine haflingers.

My mother wanted me to be a beautician. I wanted to go to graphic art school. She won. I hated cosmotology school and even tho I got my license I hated it. And was really bad at it.

I wanted to be a writer too. mom put me thru my first year of college to help me realize this. Guess she came to understand not to get in the way..lol..

Now I want to be a therapist again, but I want to do animal assisted therapy with kids...using dogs and horses. I need to get specialized training for that. And now that my health is getting better, I can...

Soft*Silver
04-05-2010, 04:27 PM
when my daughter was very young, I took her to college. She was probably 4 or 5 years old. One of my friends in an english class bent down and asked her what she wanted to be when she grew up. Little Liz scrunched up her face at her, like she had just asked her some dumb question ...and then blurted out "why, I want to be ME, that what I want to be when I grow up"...lol

talk about a solid sense of identity and self worth...:huhlaugh:

Random
04-05-2010, 04:33 PM
I wanted to be Mr. Spock... except.. well.. a girl Mr. Spock...

afixer
04-05-2010, 04:41 PM
I wanted to be a police officer

Gemme
04-05-2010, 04:54 PM

As a child, I'd had a premonition that I would die a violent death by stabbing or with some sort of sharp blade. I had this fear until a couple of years ago. Who knows, maybe it was accurate and I did something that altered the route of things to come? *shrug*

So, like you, I really didn't expect to make it very far in life. However, in middle school I wanted to be a social worker so bad I could taste it. I did a ton of research and made lists of pros and cons and I was doing well with my planning until the adults in my life at that time interferred. Eventually, I listened to them and dropped it.

I've always regretted it.

Taller.

My bestie from middle and high school wanted to be an archeologist. She even conned me into taking an intro type course for it. It was rather interesting, but I don't do well with bugs. :blink:

JakeTulane
04-05-2010, 05:04 PM
I wanted to be a Forest Ranger. I am an Accountant with an English degree. I took a wrong turn somewhere.

socialjustice_fsu
04-05-2010, 05:06 PM
When I was about 6 or 7 all I could dream of was being a flight attendant on Eastern Airlines (shows my age). I had the little carry on bag and collected everything I could to do with that profession.

Oddly, I also used to line up all my stuffed animals and try and have group therapy. Mom and Dad thought it a bit strange. However, at about age 10 we traveled to S. Florida and had to travel through the grounds of the state mental hospital (no interstates - shows my age) and I looked out the car windows and stated, "I'm going to work there one day." My folks never forgot that and yes, I worked there all through graduate school as a social worker. Sometimes we just simply know what we want to do with our lives.

No regrets although I still envy the flight attendants everytime I fly.

bigbutchmistie
04-05-2010, 05:08 PM
I wanted to be a Federal Prosecutor... :)

Corkey
04-05-2010, 05:09 PM
I wanted to be an oceanographer, took scuba lessons at 12, got certified, and acquired a growth in my inner ear. So much for diving.... So I became an archeologist instead. Until I had to earn a living and pay my bills.

Life was so much easier weightless under the sea......

theoddz
04-05-2010, 05:26 PM
I wanted to become a career officer in the U.S. Navy, specifically, a naval aviator. :flying:

It was, to me, a cross between having a life both on board a ship and being able to fly. Both have always been dreams of mine. Well, those and a military life. :winky:

~Theo~ :bouquet:

moxie
04-05-2010, 05:34 PM
I wanted to be a snooty college professor. In Mathematics.
I don't have the patience to teach.

AtLast
04-05-2010, 06:16 PM
Pro tennis player... and then an opera singer... not as good as one needs to be for either, and a skiing accident hurt my back at age 16 along with a genetic spinal problem, so.... I ended up a shrink and professor.

Frankly, being a gardener would have been best... would have been much happier working outside and being able to see my efforts right off, but again, probably physical issues would have blown that...

Hooray for raised gaeren beds!!!

Boots13
04-05-2010, 07:00 PM
I wanted to please my family so I thought setting myself on the fastrack to become a Science teacher:glasses: and with an interest in Phys Ed Admin would be good...and then everything went sideways. ..thank gawd.

So then I thought being a smoke jumper :grindevil:would be a totally awesome and a really studly thing to do....never happened...thank gawd.

So then I figured a Forest Ranger would be cool, kinda hippyish, and a real granola thing to do (am I dating myself?) . I could sit in a fire lookout:ohm:, watch the smokejumpers and write really bad poetry:writer:
...never happened...yep, thank gawd !

Everything works out as its supposed to. I've been in my field for 26 years and couldnt imagine doing anything else ! :police:

Kimbo
04-05-2010, 10:11 PM
I always wanted to be a Veterinarian or Doctor. I became a nurse and realized that I loved being a nurse. Ironically, I am not in nursing and instead do IT. I still would like to be a Vet.

AshenLady
04-05-2010, 10:15 PM
:bandkiss:

Rock star

:aslpeacelove:

friskyfemme
04-05-2010, 10:28 PM
I wanted to become a career officer in the U.S. Navy, specifically, a naval aviator. :flying:

It was, to me, a cross between having a life both on board a ship and being able to fly. Both have always been dreams of mine. Well, those and a military life. :winky:

~Theo~ :bouquet:
I wanted to be an actress or comedian. I think because of my dysfunctional childhood I was very good at becoming someone else. I was quite good at entertaining my parents.
It helped to relieve the stress levels. I thought I would like to be recognized by lots of people. I love horses though I have never owned one. I wanted to have a huge horse ranch. I would like to be a writer if I can just dictate my words.

BoDy*ShOt
04-05-2010, 10:36 PM
I wanted to be an actress or comedian. I think because of my dysfunctional childhood I was very good at becoming someone else. I was quite good at entertaining my parents.
It helped to relieve the stress levels. I thought I would like to be recognized by lots of people. I love horses though I have never owned one. I wanted to have a huge horse ranch. I would like to be a writer if I can just dictate my words.

i wanted to be a stripper *honestly* or a truck driver!

WolfyOne
04-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Where to start, where to start, as a young child, I wanted to be a singer playing drums in a rock and roll band. Then I decided I wanted to be a gym teacher because it was the only class I really liked to show up for. Then at 17 I decided I was grown up enough and left my mom's house for marriage, my way out.....mistake. So, in reality, I never really knew what I wanted to do when I grew up. Not knowing or not having direction is not a good thing when entering adulthood. I suppose if I had more adult support as a kid, it may have been different.

Soft*Silver
04-05-2010, 10:45 PM
when I was in 7th grade I read the book The Happy Hooker and decided I wanted to be a prostitute. My mother, however, explained to me, the very cloistered farm girl, that that wasnt exactly a noble profession for a catholic girl...

AtLast
04-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Yikes, it just dawned on me what a weird image of my being an operatic Diva is!! OMG!! The costumes, pushed-up cleavage, make-up.... Isshhhh..Would have been much better to aspire to this in another century when female opera singers did trouser roles ...

amiyesiam
04-05-2010, 11:15 PM
when I was in 7th grade I read the book The Happy Hooker and decided I wanted to be a prostitute. My mother, however, explained to me, the very cloistered farm girl, that that wasnt exactly a noble profession for a catholic girl...

OMG I read that book in 7th grade too! But I doubt my parents knew I borrowed it, along with a few of their other "books".

I wanted to be God or the leader of an alien space force when I grew up

Venus007
04-05-2010, 11:31 PM
From the time I was able to be aware until I was around 10 I wanted to be a large animal vet alah James Harriott.
From my tender nerdy 4th grade self until I was in my freshman year of college I wanted to be a genetic engineer. Where I grew up there were fields with metal signs on them that had a last name and a number, they were fields named by the engineer of the crop. I wanted to name a species of corn or soybean or hay. I was especially desirous of creating a type of hay with enhanced nutritional value but reduced propensity to cause founder in horses.

For awhile (8-23) I thought I would end up training horses and or coaching riders as that was always my side job to make money. I did it long enough for somebody else to realize that there was no money in it, so now I am in education bwahahahahahahahaha

Odarlin
04-06-2010, 01:01 AM
trapeze artist

ButchBowWow
04-06-2010, 01:41 AM
According to my mother I used to tell people I was going to be a flowerchild when I grew up.

As I got older I wanted to be a vet.

AtLast
04-06-2010, 03:16 AM
According to my mother I used to tell people I was going to be a flowerchild when I grew up.

As I got older I wanted to be a vet.

KEWL.. a flowerchild! Those were the days!! ROTFL!!!

:smelling-flower:

tantalizingfemme
04-06-2010, 04:38 AM
I remember very young deciding that when I grew up, I was going to buy a farm and have all the stray cats and dogs come live with me.

Next, I wanted to be a stewardess. I had a Barbie with a stewardess outfit and accessories and it really was all about the little bag she carried and the hat she wore that sealed the deal. Then....

I was going to be a hand model. (I would practice all my hand "poses" for hours in the mirror)

But then, when I saw the movie Grease, I was going to be Sandy. (Really just the Sandy at the carnival...those hot pants, heels and hair....wow)

Only after I came to terms with the fact I can't sing and don't look like Olivia Newton John, I started thinking more along the lines of psychologist, lawyer, editor, FBI profiler...

Sybelle
04-06-2010, 05:47 AM
I'm quoted in the sixth grade as saying "A singer or a secretary." Heh. Oddly enough, today, I do both.

NJFemmie
04-06-2010, 07:45 AM
As a kid, I wanted to be an attorney or in the military (Coast Guard preferably). At one point in my life, I ended up working for a law firm that facilitated Coast Guard regulations and decided I was glad I didn't actually become a lawyer. (Let's not discuss ethics, m'kay?)

There are times I wish I went into the USCG though - I'd be retired by now :)

Duchess
04-06-2010, 08:46 AM
I wanted to be a classical pianist:grandpiano:, but after already having years of piano in my life I wasn't having much fun. So I decided I should be a painter:artist:because oils always made me a happy girl. As a Professional Makeup Artist I stuck with the plan, just chose a different canvas.

Duchess

Write14u
04-06-2010, 10:09 AM
I wanted to be a pilot and an astronaut and held on to those until my sophmore year of college when I decided that aerospace engineering really wasn't for me.
I got duped into taking a journalism weed-out course because I was sure I could then take a photography class next (hah!). The rest is history.

owen4u1904
04-08-2010, 01:03 PM
Ha ha...wow. This is a good one. :) For the longest time I wanted to be a backup dancer for Janet Jackson or Madonna then as I got a lil older I wanted to be a backup dancer for NSYNC or Britney. But through it all I wanted to be a choreographer too. :)

Kenna
04-08-2010, 01:11 PM
WOW
We have so many who want to be or wanted to be a pilot that it's too bad we can't have our very own BFP Air Show!!

http://www.youngeagles.org/photos/gallery/Biplanes/HatzBiplane.jpg

I can say being a pilot will always be my dream!! And I can't wait to make it happen!! Just need the extra $$$ for classes, etc.

ruthie14
04-08-2010, 01:12 PM
A mommy... but that never happened....sigh

Ms. Tabitha
04-08-2010, 02:22 PM
I always wanted to do what my Grandfather and Uncles did.......SO I did became:
A Medic/Firefighter, A Crital Care Trauma Tech in the ER, a flight medic and Air Medical Communications Medic and also a 911 Communications Officer and Training officer.

:fireman: :firetruck: :nurseshot: :ambulance: :police:

I always wanted to do what my Grandmother and my Aunts did... SO I became:
A Wife and Mother .. THAT is my most rewarding job of all!!!

:love1: :wateringgarden: :laundryday: :knitgirl: :baby:

always2late
04-08-2010, 02:32 PM
I wanted to be a Veterinarian. I used to collect all the stray and injured animals in my neighborhood....or I did until my mom threw a fit (she is severely allergic to cats...and my hiding stray cats in the basement did NOT go over well. lol)

BornBronson
04-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Married..I guess i'm not grown up enough yet.

Ahh,maybe someday.:scared:

WolfyOne
04-08-2010, 02:53 PM
Today I want to run through this thread shouting....

.....I don't want to grow up, I'm a Toys R Us kid

thank you, that is all

sorry for the derail, carry on

Ldyluck88
04-08-2010, 03:12 PM
An actress, but all I did was Act Up or Acted out growing up!! haha I was a rebel child, I think I may still be, hehehe ;)

Ms. Tabitha
04-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Today I want to run through this thread shouting....

.....I don't want to grow up, I'm a Toys R Us kid

thank you, that is all

sorry for the derail, carry on

I hear ya!!!

There is a part of me that will always be a kid at heart..

:dance1:

Rufusboi
04-08-2010, 05:02 PM
I always wanted to be a Cowboy!

Wryly
04-08-2010, 05:15 PM
I wanted to be a race car driver - but in one of those long rally type of races, not the NASCAR type.
I'm not too sure why.

I also wanted to be a teacher, nurse, writer, lawyer, editor (tv, film).

Not sure what I want to be now.

Jet
04-08-2010, 05:34 PM
an actor..................

hpychick
04-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Did you get to be a Cowboy??? I always wanted to be a Cowboy!

hpychick
04-08-2010, 05:48 PM
I wanted to be a veterinarian. I brought home all the injured animals and eggs that fell out of nests.

Then, I wanted to be an actress (which I was for a short time on the stage).

Then, I wanted to be a singer (and I was - sang in the Navy Choir).

Then, I wanted to a be writer (which I am, published even).

Then, I just wanted to be whatever made me happy. (I'm working on it.) :)

Nat
04-08-2010, 06:07 PM
First I wanted to be a mermaid. Then I wanted to basically be Jane Goodall and live in the Amazon and study apes. Then I wanted to be a poet. Now I'm grown up and I have no one main dream anymore.

Gemme
04-08-2010, 07:49 PM
First I wanted to be a mermaid. Then I wanted to basically be Jane Goodall and live in the Amazon and study apes. Then I wanted to be a poet. Now I'm grown up and I have no one main dream anymore.

I'm at the point where I have the beginnings of dreams and there are bits and pieces left over of dreams dashed but I haven't the foggiest idea where to start to begin to do anything with any of it.

weatherboi
04-08-2010, 08:11 PM
i wanted to be a chair umpire for professional tennis
then i wanted to be a chef

Strappie
04-08-2010, 08:14 PM
I really wished to have a "girlfriend" and I don't mean the friend kind. I had my sisters for that.

Leigh
04-08-2010, 08:32 PM
I wanted to be a nurse, or a truck driver like My grandfather :)

Kenna
04-08-2010, 09:06 PM
I forgot to add to my first list...
Owner of a large horse ranch where I get to rescue Mustangs and train large Belgian Shires to be gentle giants like my old Orion was.

adorable
04-08-2010, 09:57 PM
I wanted to be ***wait for it*** lol a fighter pilot!
I used to spend hours putting together model fighter jets. I was obsessed. My hearing though wasn't perfect and neither was my life so it never happened. I had it all planned out - right down to my plan to go to the Air Force Academy.

My back up plan was to be a stripper. Yeah, that didn't work out either....

sweetcali
04-08-2010, 10:21 PM
When I was a baby femme I wanted to be a Rockette that was my career goal until I quite growing at the age of 12. I was seriously depressed that I only grew to a height of 5'5"; because back then in order to be a Rockette you had to be at least 5'8".

Then I wanted to be a Go Go dancer and well that is another story all in itself as to why that never happened.

*sigh*

sweetcali

DapperButch
04-23-2010, 11:12 PM
In elementary school I wanted to be a auto mechanic and/or a race car driver.

I don't think I thought about it again until I went to college and HAD to think about it!

But, I would venture to say that I have thought the most about "what I want to be when I grow up" SINCE I have been working in my chosen field...

Apocalipstic
05-05-2010, 03:43 PM
So no one else wanted to be a vampire?

Gemme
05-05-2010, 03:45 PM

Eh, the powers were cool, but I hate the taste of blood (or maybe it's just the metallicy iron) and I love being warm and toasty, which is hard to do when you are effectively dead. :blink:

Apocalipstic
05-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Eh, the powers were cool, but I hate the taste of blood (or maybe it's just the metallicy iron) and I love being warm and toasty, which is hard to do when you are effectively dead. :blink:

Ohhh details details! grin!

Gemme
05-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Ohhh details details! grin!

I love the super fast "I'm here...no here...no HERE" thing and the climbing/flying up things is neat. Oh, and the super strength. Plus, how many unfit vampires do you see? I'd probably have a banging body if I were undead. :blink:

Apocalipstic
05-05-2010, 04:21 PM
I love the super fast "I'm here...no here...no HERE" thing and the climbing/flying up things is neat. Oh, and the super strength. Plus, how many unfit vampires do you see? I'd probably have a banging body if I were undead. :blink:

Seeee, there are good points!

There seems to be an endless supply of money too, and awesome clothes. Yes, I am a Winter, Laugh.

Blaze
05-05-2010, 04:34 PM
I wanted to be a Marine when I grew up ( check )
Then I wanted to be a heavy equipment operator ( check )
Then I wanted to be a Executive Chef (well I got to sou chef ) close enough
Now I just want to retire, ( ~sigh~ ) not yet, need to build a bigger nest
:whoop:

Queerasfck
05-05-2010, 04:38 PM
you've reached Jim Rockford leave your name and message and I'll get back to you.....

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/images/reviews/68/1202540424_1.jpg

http://www.tvshowsondvd.net/graphics/news3/RockfordFiles_S6_menu.jpg

Massive
05-05-2010, 04:41 PM
I spent years sitting out in the woods, so at first I wanted to be a naturalist, then I got into reading big time, so I wanted to be a writer (still do, I just don't really write stuff for other kids now ...) then when I got to school I got fascinated by engineering cos my grandfather was amongst many other things, a mechanic, then I failed maths and everything else I would've needed, then I got into archaeology, and actually worked on a dig on the end of Hadrians Wall, here. Yeah, up to my elbows in muddy cold water did nothing for my arthritis, so that ended, now I just want to at least attempt to concentrate on writing so I can at least try to get published.
Reading back ... I didn't have one clue wtf I wanted to be really!

MrSunshine
05-05-2010, 04:49 PM
Seriously, a gynecologist. I was all fascinated with it. So when the opportunity came up in the Army I took it. I ended up in hoochie triage. So not fun.

Diavolo
05-05-2010, 04:51 PM
A Kennedy.

Lillie
05-05-2010, 04:56 PM
wonder woman..ya I wanted to be her..I wanted to live on an Island of all woman!

:cracked::cracked::cracked:
"sigh"

Lillie

lyric
05-05-2010, 05:33 PM

I wanted to be the Vampire's girlfriend.

I also wanted to be a ballet dancer.

I never dreamed I'd be restraining people for a living!

Oiler41
05-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Well, let's see,,first memory of a "career choice" was, as someone else stated earlier, was to be like Jane Goodall and study apes in the wild.

By junior high, I was ready to be an oceanographer, and even joined a club that went to NOAA once a month,,sort of like junior NOAA people.

By high school, I decided I wanted to be a teacher, but my parents didn't agree with that one,,and as it turns out, they were right.

Somewhere along the line I wanted to be a writer, but alas, unless very, very lucky, that doesn't pay the bills but I did write for a few gay and lesbian publications along the way.

I wound up in the industrial safety, health and environmental field, which feeds the teaching thing, teaching adults instead of kids (the kids would drive me insane) and it is the perfect job.

I'm not chained to a desk all day (but I can be there when I want to be), I get to move around the plant (as I choose to), I get to teach (my curriculum, design and schedule) and I get to problem-solve. The best of many worlds and I love what I do!

Glynn

SassyLeo
05-05-2010, 05:59 PM
A Fashion Designer

I actually drew and colored designs...when I was like 10 or 12. And then wrote a book about it that I entered in a book fair contest.

I didn't win.

Julien
05-05-2010, 06:00 PM
I love film.:movieguy: I didn't want to be an actor I wanted to be the director. Now I have a degree in Film Studies and teach it, that is as close as I got. I get to teach others how to love film as much as I do.:glasses:

DamonK
05-05-2010, 06:03 PM
Teacher.
Doctor.
Lawyer.
Criminologist.
Forensic pathologist
Forensic accountant
Forensic psychologist.

Funny that.

I'm a cNA

Venus007
05-05-2010, 10:48 PM
A business woman, like that nice Ms Kitty on "Gunsmoke"

I still think I would be a good madam

vixenagogo
05-05-2010, 11:21 PM
http://www.dougquick.com/abc_thatgirl60s.jpg
http://gravybread.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/marlo-that-girl-color-crop.JPGhttp://www.misfittoys.net/tvtime/thatgirl/logoblue.jpghttp://2.bp.blogspot.com/_6FsAd_F4QcA/S0dxita-qXI/AAAAAAAAASg/Wy5jv4AUnHk/s320/That_Girl_Logo.jpghttp://images.allmoviephoto.com/1966_That_Girl:_Season_One_(TV_Series)/tn/1966_that_girl_005.jpg

apretty
05-06-2010, 12:06 AM
half the time i wanted to be a writer/foreign war correspondent (like christiane amanpour)

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/news/07/01/images/amanpour.jpg

otherwise, yacht club wife. (coronado, ca)

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2373/1848271399_301329d198.jpg

Epicpwn
05-06-2010, 12:52 AM
... I wanted to be Superman because I thought Lois Lane was sexy.

JustLovelyJenn
05-06-2010, 12:54 AM
Well, when I was a kid.... I wanted to be a famous singer. Then when I got to high school and really had to think about it.... I decided I wanted to teaching singing, be a high school choir teacher. Now... as much as I love singing, teaching, and all of that... I have decided I also love working with children with disabilities... Now, I want to be a high school special education teacher.

Apocalipstic
05-06-2010, 09:34 AM
These are great!

We had high hopes....

It sincerely never crossed my mind that the world would still be here in 2010.

katzietootle
05-06-2010, 10:24 AM
i vividly remembered that i want to be a clown and a part time astronaut so i can meet astroboy

cinderella
05-06-2010, 10:32 AM
I went thru many phases, but my earliest memory was wanting to be a prima ballarina, but my dreams were dashed when my mom took me to get enrolled in classes, and the instructor told her I was too chubby...*weeps*.

I also wanted to be an Egyptologist, an actress, and one dream when I was a little older - an architect. However, the math scared me away, so I settled for interior design...never did it professionally, but went to school for it, and practice it on friends and family. They trust my taste, and usually give me 'carte blanche'. It is one of my great passions in life. I also have a penchant for fine fabrics, and tend to hoard them - 'tend' being a severe understatement! lol

My latest dream is to be a guest programmer on TCM (Turner Classic Movies). :)

Jett
05-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Hmmm, comparatively seems I didn't dream as big as the rest of you peeps, when I was little always wanted to be a veterinarian.

Rockinonahigh
05-06-2010, 10:50 AM
I was a horse crazy kid with a desire to make horses my life's work,and I did,I went from the $80.00 cheep rent string reject to the best of the best in both the the AQHA and the APHA as well as Appaloosas.First it was barrel raceing to learn how then I joined the WPBRA where I had the time of my life going near every where I could get to.Then I got in to showing horses,it was a blast as well,ive qulified and rode in many world shows and placd in the top ten in all the breed shows I was in.Then I trashed my back ina fall so rideing went out the window so I did halter horses for years as well as had a string of broodmares that I sold the babies they had.Finaly as time went on I ended up out of the horse bizz cuse of not haveing a place to keep them without going into national dept,besides it was time for a change after near 40 years with them.After the horse I had always said I would go to culinary school and become a chef cause I always liked to cook so it was a natural move for me to make,I did that and am now a chef and been a banquett chef for a casino,a sous chef for a 5 star hotel.I reinjured my back in 2007 so the chefing is on hold till its fixed this year..fighting the inshurance company is near impossable when its workerscomp& docs are only looking at the money they acan make on high price surgery,wich the way he described it was not to my likeing,but now with the new ways they do things its going to get fixed cause im not done with being a chef..not by a long shot.

ravfem
05-06-2010, 01:35 PM
As a youngster, i wanted to be an office worker. i would set up my work desk with an old broken phone, blank forms that i bought (with my own allowance money) at the 5 & dime store, an adding machine (this was pre-pc, people), and old papers that mama gave me. i have no idea who i worked for, but i answered that phone and filled out forms for hours on end. my name was Laurie Mc-something or nother...the last name changed but the first was always Laurie.

Later, i wanted to be a teacher. i still do, kinda. But taking math in college killed me...twice i failed. i still cannot grasp the concept of a few 0s & 1s equaling something other than how many 1s were there. And of course i fell back on the old "i will NEVER need this in real life!" and just gave up eventually.

Really, when i grow up, i want to start my own school for physically challenged kids. i grew up at the end of the segregation of "normal" & disabled kids, so i didn't enter regular school until 3rd grade. i always missed the CP (cerebral palsy) school i attended before that.

Rook
05-06-2010, 01:46 PM
F-16 Pilot USAF
Egyptologist
Veterinarian
Actor
Choreographer
Librarian
Olympian

I think I had adhd....
:deepthoughts:

Andrew, Jr.
05-06-2010, 01:57 PM
I thought I would be a man. When I was little I thought I would turn into a man with a penis. No lie. I would get down on my hands and knees and pray to God to change me into a man as I lay sleeping. :moonstars:

Jobwise: I wanted to go to Annapolis, and be a Navy pilot. I wanted to fly F-16's/F-18's off carriers. And then go on to fly for NASA.

I always fantasized about being a male, and wearing speedo's. :seconddoh:

Rook
05-06-2010, 04:57 PM
I sooooooo Wanted to enroll in Annapolis..
It was that or Citadel
Unfortunately, at best, all I could do was Fantasize...and participate in JROTC while I was in high school..
I dropped out, got a G.E.D, on a lark I took the ASVAB...
My relatives had me pegged for Jarhead by then ...until I "came out"...

Heart
05-06-2010, 05:08 PM
When I was little I wanted to run an orphanage. All my dolls were orphans.

Apocalipstic
05-07-2010, 09:05 AM
When I was little I wanted to run an orphanage. All my dolls were orphans.

This is my favorite. :)

chefhottie25
05-14-2010, 10:44 PM
When I was a kid...I wanted to be a fire fighter. My dad was the fire chief in our town. Since I was daddy's little boi I got to hang out at the station, ride in the trucks, and wear fire helmets. One day it occured to me that I didn't want to have a dangerous career.

Passionaria
05-15-2010, 08:37 PM
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a42/tribaljowen/bellydancer.jpg

daisygrrl
05-15-2010, 08:40 PM
I wanted to be a part-time Everything

MsDemeanor
05-15-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.....

cane
05-16-2010, 12:09 AM
I wanted to become a librarian or a professor emeritus... Ok, I wasn't the most interesting child... Kind of boring actually

RNguy
05-16-2010, 01:56 AM
As a young one I wanted to be a dentist and a football player. I grew up and became a med lab tech in the microbiology department . After being all burned out from that I went back to school and now I'm the RN trauma guy. No more school for me

Kobi
05-16-2010, 07:29 PM
teacher
novelist
writer for Hallmark cards
stand up comedian
2nd baseperson for the Boston Red Sox
gas pumper - imagine my disappointment when self serve stations came along
Candance Bergens main squeeze

ruthie14
05-16-2010, 07:34 PM
Only ever wanted to be a mom... never happened.

Liam
05-16-2010, 07:37 PM
When I grow up, I want to be a Ranger for the National Park Service. I was doing some research last year, and discovered that they were not hiring people over 40 for this position. However recently I had the pleasure of chatting with a Ranger, and she informed me, that the age thing was for law enforcement Rangers, so I am back on my track with wanting to be a Ranger. Yay!!

hpychick
05-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Move to New Jersey. The general public is not allowed to pump their own gas. I wonder why.

teacher
novelist
writer for Hallmark cards
stand up comedian
2nd baseperson for the Boston Red Sox
gas pumper - imagine my disappointment when self serve stations came along
Candance Bergens main squeeze

shadows papa
05-16-2010, 07:39 PM
When I was a kid I wanted to be a veterinarian,but OOHWEE that was a lot of schooling! My folks wanted me to NOT be wrapped around a tree on my motorcycle! Shad :hanging:

WolfyOne
05-16-2010, 07:42 PM
I want to be a kid in a grown up body

That is all

SuperFemme
05-16-2010, 07:48 PM
i've already done all that i wanted to do as a grown up.
had a great career. raised four kids (well, working on that)
became a grandma.

now i am not that invested in being a grown up.

Tucker
05-16-2010, 08:35 PM
Well when I was really young I wanted to be a burglar when I was older.
No joke, I would take my fathers electrician tape and tape up my white dresses so they had little stripes. I would put my mothers hose over my head and pretend to break into my room. I quickly grew out of that stage.

Later on, I wanted to be a lion tamer.

bigbutchmistie
05-16-2010, 08:36 PM
A Toys R Us Kid

Pretty Woman
05-17-2010, 02:26 PM
The bass player in a lezzie rock band...sort of like L7 for those old enough to remember.

BestButchBoy
05-18-2010, 02:07 PM
Call in rich. I'm still hoping. ; )

Passionaria
05-18-2010, 02:25 PM
http://static-p4.fotolia.com/jpg/00/07/37/13/400_F_7371325_RlxrPCIO9GSYZKknon7HHU1Pf3Mt6dDO.jpg

Dance

:rose:

Mrs. Strutt
05-18-2010, 07:16 PM
I wanted to be a hairdresser all my life. It took me a 20-year detour through college, graduate school and corporate America, but I finally made it :)

Toughy
05-18-2010, 07:33 PM
laughin..............hell I'm still not grown up........

however

when I was about 8 yrs old I wanted to be a veterinarian. Then in junior high and high school I was going to follow in my Dad's footsteps.........be a teacher and a coach as well as raise horses with my cousin. Then life kept happening while I was making plans.

Here I am today.... working every day with dogs.......seems I am coming back in the direction of my 8 year old self.....

katsarecool
11-06-2010, 05:43 AM
I saw the Google Spider reading this thread and thought I would participate. LOL I wanted to join the Navy way back in the 1960s; but my step-father refused to sign saying only prostitutes and lesbians were in the Navy. I had no idea what he was talking about but the way he said it made me want to join all the more. Then I interviewed for a flight attendant for TWA; Paris New York route. Failed the eye test because I wore glasses. Now that would not be a problem on airlines. So I settled on marriage and children. I did want to be a mother when I was a kid. One child. No husband or father either. I was on the right track to being a lesbian even at the age of 10.:sunglass: How I ended up becoming an accountant/management (and now retired) I have no clue.

Miss Scarlett
11-06-2010, 07:19 AM
For a while I wanted to be Astrogirl - when she walked her feet made the coolest noise! I would walk around going "whoop, whoop" as I walked.

Then my brother got a GI Joe...I wanted to be a Marine! I would sneak off with his GI Joe footlocker and dress Barbie and Midge in the uniforms. I thought Barbie looked so cool in the camouflage fatigues. But with her dark hair, blue eye shadow, red lips and nails she was soooooooo sexy in the dress blues. And really smokin' when she wore them with her open toed heels! I was about to join in the mid-80s but my Mom talked me out of it.

My parents wanted me to be a Chemical Engineer - 2 years of studying that with a minor in nuclear physics was enough to convince me it was not for me. I loved the studies but didn't want the job.

Next they wanted me to become a paralegal. I didn't want to because it was their idea and not mine. Well, the joke was on me because I AM a paralegal and have been for over 20 years. Go figure!

asphaltcowboi
11-06-2010, 07:47 AM
first i wanted to be speed racer. then a veterinarian but in high school i took a job in an animal research lab an that dream ended. then i wanted to be a cop but my friend talked me out of it because i have very little patiance with people when they do mean stuff. then my dad got sick so i took over the family trucking bussness driving all over the US. then i had to start working on the trucks to keep them on the road so i worked as mechanic for a few years until dad passed then we desolved the trucking co. my whole life i had a love for and rode harleys so i became a harley mechanic. now im self employed working when i want on just about anything from construction to mechanics. now i just want to ride my harley around and drive an rv to diffrent places to be a camp host wearing funny shorts and pick up garbage with a stick that has a nail in the end of it

girl_dee
11-06-2010, 08:07 AM
a Domestic Diva... I had the apron and everything...

dale2555
11-06-2010, 08:33 AM
I don't remember having any thoughts of what I wanted to be... I was mostly in my day as a kid. Then came high school and while others were planning their futures, I was experimenting with drugs(early seventies).

A year after high school, I went to a community college where I earned an Associate Degree in Mental Health/Social Service; and never pursued the field further. Moved a lot after that, working all kinds of jobs; and although I always took courses at the nearest college, I never stayed anywhere long enough to obtain a degree. At the age of 25 I realized I needed a REAL job. I still didn't have any idea of what I wanted to be... I knew what I didn't want. I didn't want to be behind a desk all day and I didn't want to be in one place all the time. Back to school I went - became a Respiratory Therapist because the description in the college catalogue said I'd get to work with people and machines, and "moving around" was implied. It's now 30 years later and I consider myself very lucky... I still like what I do, am always learning something new, and if you need me, page me - I could be anywhere.

Jesse
11-12-2010, 02:46 PM
I wanted to be a surgeon, but all of my brothers, (Four) made fun and told me I could not be a surgeon because I was a girl; they said I had to be a nurse. I remember being angry and said fine, I would not be either one then. lol Think I was 8 or 9.

Then I decided I would be a Psychologist and help all of the kids who were being abused. I also desperately wanted to be a guy.

I succeeded at one of these dreams and still may make it to school to finish my psychology degree, of course I'd be 60 by then. :)

Scorp
11-12-2010, 02:52 PM
I wanted to be Rock Star and/or an Actor
:guitar: :hamactor:

AtLast
11-12-2010, 02:58 PM
For a long time, a garbage collector like my Dad! Then, an architect or a minister. Ended up not anything like either!

Julien
11-12-2010, 03:11 PM
Growing up I always wanted to be a man. Will dreams come true?:thumbsup:

LipstickLola
11-12-2010, 03:26 PM
a cowboy:fastdraq:

Blade
11-12-2010, 03:33 PM
When I grow up I want to be the man down the roads little boy, OMG you should see his tree house.

princessbelle
11-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Always wanted to be a nurse. Turned our house into a hospital many, many times with my baby dolls sick in all the bedrooms and i would go door to door and give them shots and make them better.....ahhhh if only it were that easy now.

scootebaby
11-12-2010, 03:48 PM
my 6th,7th, and 8th grade yr i wanted to be a famous baseball player,basketball player and archaelogist...although i was great at all of them i did not become any of them :)

WolfyOne
11-12-2010, 03:57 PM
I wanted to be an only child, but that would have meant getting rid of 5 brothers and a sister

As an adult, I don't have to deal with them or lose anything to them
Makes me feel like the only child I always wanted to be :)

Rockinonahigh
11-12-2010, 04:31 PM
I did what I wanted to do(see earler post) now im trying to figure out what to do with the rest of life???

Apocalipstic
11-12-2010, 04:36 PM
A lot of would be archeologists here!

:)

I still really am not grown up, maybe I never will be. :)

Words
11-12-2010, 04:58 PM
A mum.

I honestly can't remember ever wanting to be anything else.

Words

lipstixgal
11-12-2010, 04:58 PM
I always wanted to be a doctor and almost made it but Lyme's disease to kill that dream looking into becoming a nurse I'm an almost medical assistant...

Apocalipstic
11-12-2010, 05:09 PM
I always knew I would be a terrible parent. LOL.

Tommi
11-12-2010, 05:16 PM
When I was a little tyke/dyke I wanted to be THE General of the Army.

So, I joined the USAF, and well, generally, liked the blue uniforms...:mohawk:, and being near the big planes and the other's in uniform.http://www.rockntattoo.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/AIR-FORCE-SALUTE-PIC-225x300.jpg

JAGG
11-12-2010, 05:48 PM
When I was little I dreamed about being rich and famous didn't care how. Then when I got a little older I dreamed about playing pro basketball or pro softball, but in my teens I knew I wanted to be a Marine.

justkim
11-12-2010, 05:53 PM
A Hairstylist...
A mommy...

Check on both...
Once I became a mommy I couldn't wait to become a Nana...
Check...
Now I just strive to be a better person every day...
some days I stumble...

SimpleAlaskanBoy
11-12-2010, 06:46 PM
Lets see...I wanted to be a lawyer, politician...writer...paleontologist...after being told my whole life that I couldn't do those and should be a librarian..I went to college, got a two year degree in drug/alcohol counseling...realized that's not what I want to do, either...now I don't work at all.
~SAB

Ebon
11-12-2010, 07:20 PM
I wanted to be a minister now I'm just a sinner. lol

Jet
11-12-2010, 08:12 PM
an actor..................

Mtn
11-12-2010, 08:26 PM
A parent and a teacher....worked out so so, helped raise great kids though.

princessbelle
11-12-2010, 08:29 PM
oh and i did want to be a bagboy (person) at the grocery store once. I would stand there in awe as a little girl watching them take specific things and put them together into a bag. Knowing what went where and with what so fast!!!! I thought they were amazing....still do.

Blade
11-12-2010, 08:35 PM
oh and i did want to be a bagboy (person) at the grocery store once. I would stand there in awe as a little girl watching them take specific things and put them together into a bag. Knowing what went where and with what so fast!!!! I thought they were amazing....still do.

wish they still knew what went together and what to put in which bag. don't ya just love it when the cashier slings your chips around and then the bag boy stuffs it in a bag with a few boxes of cookies grrrrr

princessbelle
11-12-2010, 08:56 PM
wish they still knew what went together and what to put in which bag. don't ya just love it when the cashier slings your chips around and then the bag boy stuffs it in a bag with a few boxes of cookies grrrrr

Hey now don't be trashin on my bag boys...it's the cashier's fault for throwing things at them and then they have to hurry. They are the good guys.....and i'll stand by that till i don't.

Blade
11-12-2010, 09:00 PM
I wanted to be a bag boy so I could put peoples meat and fresh veggies in a paper poke together, so the bottom would fall out when they got home. LOL Yes I really did want to be a bag boy, strangely I never was.

Ben
11-13-2010, 09:05 AM
A pro bullrider

cuddlyfemme
11-13-2010, 09:13 AM
A Veternarian

Guy
11-13-2010, 09:22 AM
When I was very young I remember wanting to be a bus driver. I don't think the attraction was to actually drive the bus, it was more about getting to wear the money changer thingie, collect the money and give out change.

My mom did end up buying me the whole get up, so my wish did come true that halloween.

Andrew, Jr.
11-13-2010, 07:09 PM
A Navy Fighter Pilot or Astronaunt

Kobi
11-13-2010, 07:52 PM
I wanted to be a bag boy so I could put peoples meat and fresh veggies in a paper poke together, so the bottom would fall out when they got home. LOL Yes I really did want to be a bag boy, strangely I never was.

I was a supermarket bagger back in the days when it was an art form i.e. always square the bag with a combination of boxed stuff and cans, make sure weight is evenly distributed, put light, fragile items on top. Stacking things properly was the key. Done right, the bag was light but full and you were always 1 step ahead of the cashier :)

Today it is, here is a bag, throw a few things in, try not to squish anything but if you do...oh well. :seeingstars:

Softhearted
11-13-2010, 07:57 PM
The town's crazy cat lady with her 50 critters or so... lol

rlin
11-13-2010, 09:26 PM
when i was really little i was going to be a revolutionary developer (tho i had no idea that is what i was going to be called!) and make houses out of cardboard boxes so that everyone would have a place to live...
it would be cheap and affordable and lots easier to build than the ones my grandpa made out of wood and brick...

cowboy daddy
11-14-2010, 10:07 AM
I wanted to marry Dolly Parton..... and driver her bus..... A goal I still haven't given up on....

StillettoDoll
11-14-2010, 07:22 PM
First I wanted to be a stewardess, than a pilot, than I wanted to be a housewife. than I wanted to be a opera singer, (can't sing),Wanted to own my own business, Thought of working with dogs . I was deathly afraid of dogs as a child, we did not have pets growing up ...... I became a Dog groomer! And I love it.

Leigh
11-14-2010, 07:58 PM
A truck driver like My grandfather

DapperButch
11-14-2010, 08:06 PM
A car mechanic.

If you hear my best friend tell the story, she INSISTS that I said that I wanted to be "a mechanic who worked on JEEPs", when we were announcing our life's goals in the 4th grade, but I don't remember that part...and then I was much more into corvettes, so I know she's got it wrong!

weatherboi
11-14-2010, 08:07 PM
a swim coach

everybody should know how to swim!!!

BullDog
11-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Astronaut, cowboy, work at the ice cream parlor and make milk shakes like my cousin Steve, pro baseball player, writer.

La Perla
11-14-2010, 08:12 PM
A Painter, like my father. Everything he touched, became beautiful. It is a dream I am just getting the nerve to attempt, now.

La Perla

bigbutchmistie
11-14-2010, 08:14 PM
I wanted to be Partnered.... With the one who completes me. I used to dream about me being a tux and her being in a beautiful white gown with all my friends around... :) LOL I used to think I was weird growing up

FlowerFem
11-14-2010, 08:15 PM
I wanted to be an actress, or a singer, in a rock band or pop band. Then I wanted to be a Zoologist.

Blade
11-14-2010, 08:24 PM
Well my Dad wanted me to be Nancy Lopez......chuckling....I liked playing golf but ummm back then the professional women wore them skirt/shorts thingamabobs and Blade wasn't gonna be caught dead in one of those get ups.

alilhoneybee
12-09-2010, 07:34 AM
I always wanted to be a dancer. They were so graceful and beautiful.:blueheels:

Kätzchen
05-23-2011, 08:05 PM
A nurse but I'm glad I didn't become one (formally).

My mother has been a psy nurse for over 40 years and
she's faced death threats from co-workers, patients, doctors,
administrators... so I lost my romanticized feelings for that profession
long ago.

However, in real life, I'm a great fake nurse!
(minus giving shots, no can do that)

:cheesy:

Pixie
05-23-2011, 08:18 PM
A model
A dancer
An animal funeral director
A professional bowler
A pianist
A flautist
An artist
A mechanic
A professional special needs friend...have this written on a second grade assignment i still keep.

And now I want to be a Jill of all trades...occupational therapist, professional doodler, massage therapist, handygirl, poet, bowler, and mom! :D

Some day!

scootebaby
05-23-2011, 08:21 PM
i dunno if i posted in here before but if i had--oh well- i wanted to be an archaeologist for most of my junior high yrs...from grade school up till i dropped out of high school i wanted to be a baseball AND basketball star...then i just wanted it proved i was related to Donald and Keifer Sutherland :|

LaneyDoll
05-23-2011, 08:21 PM
I wanted to be a doctor. More specifically a surgeon. I did manage to end up in healthcare :)

Now, if I could go back and do anything, I would do make-up professionally. I love it all from glamour to special effects. Working in Hollywood etc would be a dream come true.

Softly
05-23-2011, 08:54 PM
mortician, teacher, nurse

:fastdraq: cowboy

deb_U_taunt
05-24-2011, 06:54 AM
Interior Designer
Writer - books and song
Artist
Antiques Dealer

Daktari
05-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Singer/musician and I got my wish for a while back in the day.

Now I want to be the curator of this place
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/BrightonPavilion600x419.jpg

girl_dee
05-24-2011, 03:38 PM
I do remember that I wanted to work with deaf children.

Martina
05-24-2011, 03:48 PM
a documentary filmmaker

suebee
05-24-2011, 03:51 PM
I wanted to be a vet. Then I went through a whole slew of human service/medical professions until I chose social work.

Now I wanna be a kept woman. ;)

PaPa
05-24-2011, 09:10 PM
Imagine this....

A Daddy!! *Smile.

Guess it shows that I follow through with my dreams. :cheesy:

Daywalker
05-24-2011, 09:16 PM
:aslpeacelove:

When I was a young'en, say 5 or so...it is said
that I would hold up all 10 fingers n say
"When I grow up, imunna marry dis many Hippies"
:peacelove:

Instead, I grew up to be one.
:weedsmoke:

Wee.
:flyingweed:

:daywalker:

Random
05-24-2011, 09:19 PM
Marine Biologist

But then there was this problems with me and boats..

*green face*

Kätzchen
07-25-2011, 11:08 PM
I have always wanted to be among published authors
(Fiction/non-fiction: philosophy, political satire, poetry, porn/erotica and a memoir)

sylvie
07-26-2011, 05:21 AM
i changed my mind a few times over the years, lol.
when i was in grade one, i printed a paragraph on wanting to be a policewoman - still have that piece of paper today, cute to read..

when i was a teenager, i wanted to be a marine biologist - i grew up near my father the outdoorsman and would have been a profession i might have loved, but.. life had other plans for me..

early adulthood, i knew i wanted to do something that helped people, but over the years i was a stay at home mom with my 2 children and fell in a rutt of sorts financially, which was hard to pull out of, but absolutely loved the time with my children as a single mother...

finally, got myself out of said rutt a few years ago, and now work at a nursing home which i love, so now, i want to be a nurse.. and am applying to college this week - and feeling SO good about doing so! :) who knew i would only know what i really wanted to be when i was 38 years old, lol! ♥

cinnamongrrl
04-10-2013, 02:37 PM
When I was younger, I wanted to be a veterinarian, OR a scientist...that was such a vague term...little did I know...lol I just knew that science fascinated me. Still does. If only math weren't so peskily interlaced with it all....
Now...I'm pondering an education in

Nursing

Geology

Anthropology....

More than likely I will do a combination of the 3....

TheMerryFairy
04-10-2013, 02:53 PM
I wanted to do everything! LOL But really I just wanted to spend as much time with my dad as possible and a lot of our "bonding time" was spent on weekends when I would go hang out with him at the barber shop - that is the path I chose for myself. I have a passion for my artistic trade.

Amante
04-10-2013, 02:54 PM
For years when I was very young I wanted to be an archaeologist (it still fascinates me). Then I wanted to be a musician (flautist) until I realized that you have to actually do things like practice a lot.

imperfect_cupcake
04-10-2013, 05:01 PM
when I was a girl, about 10, I saw the movie "Bliss" and when I saw Honey Barbara, that's who I wanted to be when I grew up.
I also wanted to be a photojournalist war correspondant (13)
or a jet pilot.

easygoingfemme
04-10-2013, 05:10 PM
I wanted to be Cyndi Lauper. Or be Cyndi Lauper's wife.

ValentineTomboy
04-10-2013, 05:16 PM
I wanted to be an Astronaut. I still do :) I would give anything to go up in space and if I ever won the lottery that would be the first thing I would do...

Cailin
04-10-2013, 06:24 PM
Yes, I'm being very serious: A porn star/ Nude model

SleepyButch
04-10-2013, 06:34 PM
A veterinarian... even started schooling but life changed and I went into nursing instead... a whole other breed of animals!

Jean_TX
04-10-2013, 08:30 PM
I wanted to be an astronomer - the vastness of space fascinated me. I abandoned that goal when I found out that it generally requires a couple PhD's, that you rarely get to look through powerful telescopes in practice, and that the pay wasn't stellar. (I couldn't help myself, I had to slip that pun in...) :blush:

DaddiBear
04-10-2013, 08:49 PM
I never could make up my mind...guess I still can't, although I have been working with horses off and on for 15 years now and I'm happy with what I do.

KCBUTCH
04-10-2013, 11:14 PM
Well at age 5 I picked up a piece of metal off the curb and said "someday I want to learn how to make things out of metal" I was a architectural Sheet Metal worker/foreman for 12 yrs.

at Age 8 I read the St. Francis Prayer and said " that's who I want to be when I grow up"...

at age 15 I said I wanted to be a motivational speaker after hearing Leo Buscaglia speak so I could help people on a huge scale

Now I am an adult student finishing my undergrad studies and I begin my Masters program in Marriage and Family Therapy in the Fall... so I am in process to making age 8 and 15 come to life, since age 5 dreams worked my joints out of commission

nhplowboi
04-11-2013, 12:13 AM
A cowboy :fastdraq: , when I was youngest....which is now satisfied by the horses that eat us out of house and home. Later on..... a secret agent which was satisfied by my :police: law enforcement career. Now I am the successful owner, :praying: thank you lord, of a small country/convenience store which may or may not have been influenced by my mom (now deceased) in her desire to run a little country store.

Heavenleahangel
04-11-2013, 06:22 AM
After watching the tv show "Emergency" with Gage, Roy, Chet, and nurse Dixie, I wanted to be a nurse and wear the cute little nurses outfit with the hat. On the other end of the spectrum, "BJ and the Bear" made me want to drive trucks which I did for several years! I started nursing school but life got in the way. Medicine is still a great love of mine.

DaddyNik12
04-11-2013, 08:00 AM
when I was younger I wanted to be a veterinarian, but I grew up and got involved with the wrong thing in life ... and now I wished I never grew up lolol

VeganDebbie
04-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Ince I've been in the hospital so much, I wanted to be a nurse. I still help whenever I can, just can't do the medical part.

starryeyes
04-11-2013, 09:12 AM
I wanted to be a veterinarian. My grandma told me it was too hard for me and I should shoot for something easier... I'll never forget that! :/

Little Fish
04-11-2013, 09:52 AM
The other night I was telling the story about the first meeting with my kindergarten teacher, Miss Edwards--circa September 1969. My mother took me to the Meet-and-Greet the day before so all the children could see the classroom, meet Miss Edwards, play with toys--you get the idea...

At one point, Mom calls me over and Miss Edwards engages me in conversation; she asks me what I want to be when I grow up...(I look up at her with my big blue eyes and blond hair) ---and very clearly state "I'm going to be a Black gospel singer."

It was as if time had stopped entirely.
I remember the stunned look on Miss Edwards face and the horrific one on my mother.

Also, I wasn't even raised as a Christian !!

Ascot
04-11-2013, 10:29 AM
I was determined to be the first lady Sheriff. I was going to ride the range with my metal star badge pinned proudly to my chest. I started riding when I was 5, I had a Jane West action doll...it wasn't a stretch. I was enamored of the old westerns, charmed by the idea of having dusty boots and eating chili off a metal plate prepared by some grizzled guy named Cookie.

DJ Bear
04-11-2013, 10:43 AM
When I was 5 or 6 I saw the movie Arabian Nights and just knew I wanted to be a warrior surrounded by a harem, just love those women.

Apocalipstic
05-30-2013, 10:51 AM
I love the thought of little us dreaming of the future.

Novelafemme
05-30-2013, 12:48 PM
When I was really little I wanted to raise cows (farmer?) and then when I was around 7-8 I wanted to be a truck driver (specifically a garbage truck driver ;) Then as a teen I thought nursing was for me, but that morphed into being a flight attendant so I could travel. :)

Bèsame*
05-30-2013, 01:00 PM
A mom.

Instead, I found my imagination and turned it into creativity. Studied to be an interior designer, which lead to design, display, marketing.....to da..retail!

chris1life
05-30-2013, 01:19 PM
Wanted to join the army

~baby~doll~
05-30-2013, 01:50 PM
i wanted to write.

Rockinonahigh
05-30-2013, 02:35 PM
I all ways had a fasination with horses and took it as a well loved carear for 40 years and boy was it a ride to deal with.Then I followed my other calling and became a chef..lots of fun but hard work.

Dude
05-30-2013, 04:47 PM
I wanted to be a good husband and good dad.
It messed with my head a lot :canoworms:

so then , I pictured myself doing archeology digs in the desert alone with a huge german shephard , living out of a big camper heh

then , I thought garbage truck driver

then it was play with fruit (produce guy)

after that , I thought vet. When I was 18, I spent two weeks shadowing a farm vet. I did not have the stomache or heart for it.

Glenn
05-30-2013, 05:26 PM
Powerful magician monks use to materialize, and take me to their mountain homes high above the clouds, and teach me magic. They are still there. I know it ;)

VintageFemme
05-30-2013, 06:22 PM
I wanted to be a housewife & a mommy.

deathbypoem
08-11-2013, 03:42 PM
I wanted to be a storm

Asari
08-11-2013, 04:03 PM
When I realized that Ninja Turtle wasn't an option I wanted to be a falconer. :cool:
I really ended up working in a zoo with a falconry as a holiday job for a while but it's not compatible with my view on ethical treatment of animals anymore.

...still adore birds of prey though. Those eyes!

Heavenleahangel
08-11-2013, 04:46 PM
I wanted to be "Dixie" ( a nurse) off the 70's show Emergency with Chet and Gage. Then I went on to wanting to be "BJ" (a truck driver) off "BJ and the Bear". I went on to do and loved both!

Chad
08-11-2013, 08:42 PM
Hi,

When I was a kid I wanted to be a veterinarian because I love animals so much but I soon found out that I am not so good with pain and suffering not to mention blood.

Fast forward to my graduate work and I met the professor that changed my life when she introduced me to the beauty of wetlands so I became a environmental scientist who's specialty is wetlands. :).

Chad

TenderDaddy
08-11-2013, 08:43 PM
A zoo keeper

alexri
08-11-2013, 09:27 PM
I never knew, and I still don't know.

Jet
01-25-2014, 06:00 PM
An actor. New York Academy of Dramatic Arts and then go on from there as an actor and screenwriter or playwright.

Jet
01-25-2014, 06:01 PM
An actor. New York Academy of Dramatic Arts and then go on from there as an actor and screenwriter or playwright.

mountainbikedyke
01-25-2014, 06:09 PM
A ballerina, but that didn't work out...:byebye:

C0LLETTE
01-25-2014, 06:15 PM
a mother of 6

tapu
01-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Really early on, it is on record that I wanted to be an Avon Lady. I think I must have had a crush on my mother's Avon Lady, whose name was Stacia, which, just hearing in my head, makes me envision pink cashmere sweaters and puffs of pink powder.

Later I wanted to be a writer or a psychologist. I became an editor, which is really kind of like being a writer and a psychologist.

Soon
01-25-2014, 07:32 PM
A ballerina, but that didn't work out...:byebye:

:blink: you just don't strike me as this type --> :ballerina:

mountainbikedyke
01-25-2014, 07:36 PM
:blink: you just don't strike me as this type --> :ballerina:

Just wait till you see my pirouette!

Soon
01-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Just wait till you see my pirouette!

Um, I'm really looking forward to that? :|

mountainbikedyke
01-25-2014, 07:44 PM
Um, I'm really looking forward to that? :|

:badscore:

Hahaha!

Rolo
01-25-2014, 07:46 PM
I wanted to be Tom Selleck in 'Three Men and a Baby' I would be a talented architect.

1TruFemme
01-25-2014, 08:34 PM
Wonderwoman...no joke. I actually answered the question of "what do you want to be when you grow up" with that exact answer when I was in kindergarten. But let me say now, it's not nearly as cool as I thought it would be. :moonstars: