PDA

View Full Version : Diners, Drive-ins, & Dives

Dante
05-03-2010, 08:43 PM
I love to go out to eat. I consider Myself an amateur food critic.
In My town, we have the best steakhouse around.
Called The Northwood's Inn.
They have different cuts of steak, including porterhouse which is to die for. The dinners are served with 2 salads. A red cabbage with redwine vinegar and oil, and, a green salad with this incredible dressing! Then their garlic-cheese bread is outstanding. You also get a baked potato with their very own cheese butter. Can you tell us about your favorite "greasy spoon" type, place. The one where all the locals go in your town? Favorite barbecue, sushi, seafood etc.

Lynn
05-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Wow...that sounds incredible. I don't know if I can top it.

I love to eat out. Most recently, I took my daughter out for dinner at a pub nearby called Scarborough's. It has all kinds of sandwiches, pastas, appetizers...you know the type. I had the Shrimp Piccata. It was the best thing I've had in a long time. The shrimp were just huge--the biggest I've ever eaten. Lots of garlic, parmesan cheese, capers, lemon, and olive oil over linguini. It was amazing. Now I'm hungry. :whine:

Corkey
05-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Best food around here comes out of our kitchen...no joke.

Jet
05-03-2010, 09:52 PM
There is an out of the way place in the midwest in the country called the Pink Poodle. They were known for their huge cut of steak called a "Diamond Jim" cut. It is so big they don't serve anything with it except your drink.

One of the best holes in the wall in Omaha is Joe Tess' known for the best catfish ever; deep fried catfish ribs served on rye bread and hot sauce with a mound of jacket fries and slaw.
Chowed down with red beer. Everyone would order two dinners each because we couldn't get enough.

dixie
05-03-2010, 11:04 PM
Mmmm... This thread title made me think of one place right off the bat. We have a great bbq place in Asheville (NC) that was actually featured on the show with said title...lol It's called 12 Bones. Even President Obama ate there when he was vacationing in Asheville last weekend! lol Their pulled pork sandwich is absolutely to die for. The bbq just melts in your mouth...yummy... They usually only open for lunch, between 11a-2p and if you don't get there early you stand in line outside. (And yes, they even made our President stand in line. No special treatment even for him...lol) They now have two locations in the area, and are considering expanding their hours. If you enjoy bbq and you're ever in the area, I highly recommend it! :D

Cowboi
05-04-2010, 04:08 AM
My favorite place to eat is a place in Greenville Mississippi.
Doe's Eat Place! Its been there since 1940 I think. Best Steaks in the world, and damn good hot tamales too!!!

Pixie
05-04-2010, 06:00 AM
I love going to Mother's Cafe and Garden! They have the best vegetarian/vegan dishes. I always get their garden salsa and loaded black bean burrito...mmm

For sushi I go to Hayashi. They have this Austin roll that is to die for!!!!

And well since I grew up in a bowling alley and they still have the best food ever, Dart Bowl Cafe, greasy...yes....but cheap and scrumptous~

rockybcn
05-04-2010, 06:16 AM
Tonys I-75 truck stop restraunt 8781 Main Street Birch Run, MI 48415

Its a dive but if you are into huge portions of food...this is the place! 5 average size people could eat from one plate. For instance,if you were to order a BLT.....you would get at least 1.5 lbs of bacon. Everything on that menu is in massive quantity.

always2late
05-04-2010, 06:28 AM
For anyone who likes Vietnamese food...and is in NYC...there is this small place that you would probably miss or pass by unless you knew it. Its called Thai Son and its on Baxter Street. Their food is incredible!!

chefhottie25
05-04-2010, 11:45 AM
The restaurant that I work in is probably the best one here. Toledo isn't a good place for a foodie.

Gemme
05-04-2010, 12:03 PM
There used to be a place near me called Fat Rascal's. It was the closest thing to Southern food around these parts and they were even featured on Alton Brown's show once.

They are out of business now (thanks economy!), but had the most delish fried sweet potato balls. They took a marshmallow, covered it in sweet potato mash and deep fried it, then dusted it in confectioner's sugar and crushed nuts (if you asked for the nuts....it didn't come with it).

Super yummy!

fever
05-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Great idea for a thread, Dante. By the way, that TV show is one of my favourites!! lol I didn't even know what pulled pork was before watching Diners...

hmm, I think my favourite restaurant in this category would be Peggy Sue's, just out of Vegas. FR and I stopped there on our way to Vegas, mostly because I had to use a ladies' room. LO AND BEHOLD, I was back out to the truck dragging that poor butch into the restaurant when I saw the decor. OMG, it was a 50's diner right out of a James Dean movie!!

The food was fabulous, the waitress outfits were a hoot, and the souvenir store rawked!

Rockinonahigh
05-04-2010, 05:21 PM
For bbq we have a place called Cobbs bbq,been hear for about 50years but the same family going from genration to generation..lip smacking good it shure is.

Then there is a place on Coushatta Louisiana,they also have a bbq place and make there own bread and rolls.Dont know if its still there tho but the food was really good.Use to have a horse race track behind the place and everyone went there to eat.

If ya want just old home southern cooking the best place to go is a place called big mommas place.Dam the food is hot,fresh and will melt in your mouth.THe waitresses arent bad either..think Daisy Duke....OOOOO.

Cowboi
05-04-2010, 05:25 PM
Ok for the best seafood.....ummm Acme oyster house , and Mandina's Both in New Orleans. Acme most definately for raw , and chargrilled oysters. Mandina's for fried seafood, and the best bread pudding in the world!!!

Hack
05-04-2010, 06:14 PM
In Old Town in Lansing, Michigan, there is a little Mexican place called Pablo's, which is outstanding and authentic. I'm going there for lunch tomorrow with some friends, in fact.

Cowboi
05-04-2010, 06:16 PM
For baby back ribs.....theres the Country Tavern in Kilgore Texas.
UmmmmmmUmmmmm good.

Martina
05-04-2010, 06:18 PM
Angelo's in Ann Arbor, MI for breakfast. i used to live above that place. YUM. The raisin toast. OMG. Everything is good.

fever
05-04-2010, 06:19 PM
say, Cowboi, what is it that makes barbeque in Texas the best? Here in Canada, everything is chipolte this, and buffalo that, so hot and spicy that you can't enjoy the meat! Is Texas barbeque more of a sweet taste?

For baby back ribs.....theres the Country Tavern in Kilgore Texas.
UmmmmmmUmmmmm good.

Hack
05-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Angelo's in Ann Arbor, MI for breakfast. i used to live above that place. YUM. The raisin toast. OMG. Everything is good.

OMG...I haven't been to that place in a couple of years. I need a trip to A2 soon. Thanks for the reminder!

Cowboi
05-04-2010, 06:32 PM
say, Cowboi, what is it that makes barbeque in Texas the best? Here in Canada, everything is chipolte this, and buffalo that, so hot and spicy that you can't enjoy the meat! Is Texas barbeque more of a sweet taste?

The BBQ places I like in Texas isn't the sweet kind. I am sure one can find some, but I like the good ol hickory, or mesquite smoked meat!

Dante
05-04-2010, 08:03 PM
There used to be a place near me called Fat Rascal's. It was the closest thing to Southern food around these parts and they were even featured on Alton Brown's show once.

They are out of business now (thanks economy!), but had the most delish fried sweet potato balls. They took a marshmallow, covered it in sweet potato mash and deep fried it, then dusted it in confectioner's sugar and crushed nuts (if you asked for the nuts....it didn't come with it).

Super yummy!

sounds yummy !! I love Southern food!
Looking for Bo. Gemme's talking about "balls" again! :seeingstars:

Jet
05-04-2010, 08:21 PM
Back home in the midwest, there was a dive called Ritchie's.
Hashbrowns were homemade and they served breakfast homestyle. Big portions, homecooked and home made cakes and pies. My dad still eats there.

Cowboi
05-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Another favorite place of mine to eat is Big T's in Kilgore Texas.
Better get there at 5 pm sharp, you will be standing in line!!! Everything to eat there from Tbone steak(my fav) to nachos. You can sit with ppl you dont even know!!! When you leave...you smell just like Big T's!!!

Dante
05-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Another favorite place of mine to eat is Big T's in Kilgore Texas.
Better get there at 5 pm sharp, you will be standing in line!!! Everything to eat there from Tbone steak(my fav) to nachos. You can sit with ppl you dont even know!!! When you leave...you smell just like Big T's!!!

ty Cowboi, you can usually never go wrong when there is a line waiting to get in.

Dante
05-06-2010, 07:32 PM
Pink's hot dogs in Hollywood! There is always a line to get in and one might just spot a celebrity there for their famous hot dogs.

Cowboi
05-06-2010, 07:32 PM
ty Cowboi, you can usually never go wrong when there is a line waiting to get in.

Thats right!!! ^5's

Cowboi
05-06-2010, 07:33 PM
Pink's hot dogs in Hollywood! There is always a line to get in and one might just spot a celebrity there for their famous hot dogs.

I love hotdogs!!!

Gemme
05-06-2010, 07:36 PM
There's this place....it's not a drive in, diner and it's a little bit fancier than a dive, but if you like Chinese and Chinese fusion food it sure is good.

King Wok Buffet

All you can eat, drinks and dessert included, for about $11 per adult. They ALWAYS have steamed crab legs on one of their bars too and real ice cream with the little sugar cones. They have 5 long buffet bars and then the sushi, ice cream and drink stations and there is almost always a line for dinner.

Dante
05-06-2010, 07:39 PM
There's this place....it's not a drive in, diner and it's a little bit fancier than a dive, but if you like Chinese and Chinese fusion food it sure is good.

King Wok Buffet

All you can eat, drinks and dessert included, for about $11 per adult. They ALWAYS have steamed crab legs on one of their bars too and real ice cream with the little sugar cones. They have 5 long buffet bars and then the sushi, ice cream and drink stations and there is almost always a line for dinner.

but but, where? up there? I wanna go.

Gemme
05-06-2010, 07:40 PM
but but, where? up there? I wanna go.

If you come up, I'll take you there.

Cowboi
05-06-2010, 07:42 PM
Best wheat pancakes with real maple syrup, and Migas....Magnolia Cafe in Austin.
Even better when Bella joins ya!

Dante
05-06-2010, 07:42 PM
If you come up, I'll take you there.

:flyingweed::party::party::party::party:

Gemme
05-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Best wheat pancakes with real maple syrup, and Migas....Magnolia Cafe in Austin.
Even better when Bella joins ya!

Hey! I've been driven by that place a...few...times.

*looks at Arwen*

*grin*

Cowboi
05-06-2010, 07:46 PM
Hey! I've been driven by that place a...few...times.

*looks at Arwen*

*grin*

You gotta go there!!!! I wanna go!!!!!

Gemme
05-06-2010, 07:49 PM
You gotta go there!!!! I wanna go!!!!!

Okay, I'll get Arwen to drive by it again and YOU get her to stop. :blink:

:thumbsup:

:clap:

Cowboi
05-06-2010, 07:50 PM
Okay, I'll get Arwen to drive by it again and YOU get her to stop. :blink:

:thumbsup:

:clap:

Ohhhhh Bella!!!!!!!!!!!

fever
05-07-2010, 11:26 AM
oh, me too. But, that doesn't answer what makes Texas barbeque the best, unless it is the 1.5 lb servings maybe? Is it true everything is bigger in Texas??? *smiling and hungry*

The BBQ places I like in Texas isn't the sweet kind. I am sure one can find some, but I like the good ol hickory, or mesquite smoked meat!

fever
05-07-2010, 11:27 AM
I will be in Seattle this weekend and will look this up. What part of Seattle is it in please Gemme?

Thanks

King Wok Buffet

Cowboi
05-07-2010, 04:09 PM
oh, me too. But, that doesn't answer what makes Texas barbeque the best, unless it is the 1.5 lb servings maybe? Is it true everything is bigger in Texas??? *smiling and hungry*

LoL!!! I just know to me, it is the BEST!

Gemme
05-08-2010, 01:36 PM
I will be in Seattle this weekend and will look this up. What part of Seattle is it in please Gemme?

Thanks

Repped it to you!

LoL!!! I just know to me, it is the BEST!

That's what counts. :thumbsup:

fever
05-25-2010, 01:16 AM
Gemme, thanks for the information and next time I get to Seattle I will use it for sure. We discovered Dave's Diner, near the airport, and ate quite a few meals there! It was close to the hotel, and we ended up staying longer in Seattle than we thought. Sooo, why wreck a sure thing? The waitress' there are very friendly, the food was fantastic, and Dutch got a great shot in front of Dave's fancy at the the entrance. hmmm, I am wondering if Dutch liked the food, or that car? Don't forget to find that Iowa licence plate and send to them, Mister Dutch.

Repped it to you!

That's what counts. :thumbsup:

Mrs. Strutt
05-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Kissin' Cuzzins in St. Petersburg, FL...hands down, the best freaking breakfast in the Tampa Bay area. Their Eggs Benedict is to die for. Mr. Strutt loves the two-egg combo with bacon and the crispiest hash browns ever, plus buttermilk pancakes that melt in your mouth.

They have great lunch food too...and the family that owns them also owns their own commercial fishing boat, so the fish--especially the amberjack--is always fresh off the docks.

If you are in the area, I can't recommend them enough. They are not open for dinner, incidentally...they close at 2:00 through the week and 3:00 on the weekends.

http://www.theexpressionist.com/2009/08/28/kissin-cuzzins-cookin-with-love/

Rook
05-25-2010, 10:28 AM
It's not easy to find Diverse food establishments in my town, which sucks considering the huge international presence of students...
But they're around...
My Faves are

Salaam - It's middle eastern Fusion, I loved their swordfish kebabs, but they took it off the menu, so I stick with their Lamb, and Samosas, I luv their homemade breads with an olive oil/sundried tomato Dip while u wait for your food, I usually order their mezze platter{variety} while we wait, their soups are addictive, and if you're a Locavore/Vegan, u struck Gold...They usually have Live entertainment on weekends, Saturdays "bellydancers", Sundays "Jazz"...I like this place mostly cuz of the decor & ambiance...

China Panda - This place is awesome where Chinese/Japanese cuisine is concerned...half the menu is chinese food + Chef specialty, flip it over and u get the other half which is Japanese + Sushi menu...Their Sushi bar is obviously visible, and if you'd rather sit there, u should let the Hostess know, but, I'd only sit there for sushi/sashimi, since their foods are brought in BIG plates, and there's not much room at the Bar{in addition to sushi bar etiquette}
My fave is the Mandarin Duck, Occasionally I'll get their sizzling rice platter with shrimp, their Crispy eggplant with Pork/Tofu is addictive...
My brother often orders General Tso w/ Lo Mein, mum gets Cilantro chicken{u have to be a serious Cilantro fan for this plate}
Special occasions i'll go for a sushi/sashimi plate{birthday}, sometimes a bento..
They're a non-alc. restaurant though...Which isn't so bad, considering their Tea is delicious, and cheap..

Casa Lopez - Very authentic Latino/Mexican food, my only complaint is they don't serve Horchata, or Alcohol-based drinks...Very family oriented, I almost always ask for Queso Fundido{melted cheese with chorizo} to go with their homemade tortilla chips, I'm not fond of the tomatillo dip, but thats just me..
for the most part, if I can't decide, I stick to the seafood chimichanga{it's a big chimi with drizzled cheese on top}, occasionally i'll pick seafood fajita, mostly cuz I like the way it smells and looks when they bring it, smokin hot, sizzling still on an ironcast pan...
Their desserts are yummy too they range from Flan, Sopapilla, Churros with fried ice cream...
Everyone else in my family generally stick to Carnitas or Rib-eye, which to me is a waste, if I want rib eye I'll visit Ponderosa....
That, and the Staff {for the most part} speak fluent Spanish and it's nice to have a conversation in spanish..
Granted, u can tell where they're from based on specific words they use in spanish...I tried ordering churros w/o ice cream, the guy had this..unique expression of "huh?"..I kept saying "Manteca'o"{puertorican slang}, when he said "no entiendo" I had this lil light go on inside and i hesitantly said "Helado?"...he explained that he thought i was asking for churros w/o fat...

There's another place, "Gran Ranchero", it's not bad, they use real Crab in their seafood, but their staff mistakenly assumed they were the only spanish speakers in the place, and I did eavesdrop, every other word was not decent for that setting, that and they Do serve alc. beverages....
Casa Lopez for a brief time were worried of competition, and we told the manager "you're fine, trust me"

There is a Soul Food place in Athens, but for the life of me, I can't find it....
Ever since I went to Memphis Tenn., and a friend took me to a Soul Food/Chinese buffet, I was hooked

CrankyOldGuy
06-06-2010, 07:52 AM
Rutt's Hut (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rutt's_Hut) in NJ

weatherboi
06-06-2010, 08:09 AM
Beach Road Chicken Dinners
Jacksonville Florida
Fried chicken served family style since 1939.

http://photos.metrojacksonville.com/photos/814699136_hhEiG-M.jpg

oneye
07-17-2010, 09:42 PM
The restaurant that I work in is probably the best one here. Toledo isn't a good place for a foodie.

chef...what restaurant? i live near toledo and am there often. am wondering if i've darkened the door of your establishment (hahahaha!!!) or if i will plan to if i haven't already.

oneye :hangloose: