PDA

View Full Version : The weirdest thing I've ever eaten is....

Lady_Wu
05-07-2010, 08:16 PM
a stale Classic Yellow PEEP dipped in a glass of sparkling red wine at a staff party at a library where I used to work. We were playing, "torture the PEEPs". yes, librarians get VERY strange after hours! all that book dust, you know...other weird things that I have eaten: fried crickets w/dipping sauces; chocolate-covered ants; barbequed worms w & w/o sauce....crawfish "eat d'tail, suck d'head", which some CALL mudbugs (do not taste like chicken), gator in all sorts of ways (does not taste like chicken)....
zaihui (goodbye)
Lady_Wu, :rubberducky: torturer, hehehe...

Mister Bent
05-07-2010, 08:35 PM
I don't think it's polite to name names.

Heart
05-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Boiled tongue with mustard - ate it almost weekly as a kid. I don't think it's weird but everyone else does.

torchiegirl
05-07-2010, 08:45 PM
a banana sandwich

Lillie
05-07-2010, 08:46 PM
I don't think it's polite to name names.

LMAO!
:shocking::lol2::shocking::lol2:

Gemme
05-08-2010, 12:10 AM
I do my best not to eat weird things. :blink:

apretty
05-08-2010, 12:55 AM
brown rice and vegetables.

chefhottie25
05-14-2010, 10:38 PM
I once ate kangaroo meat at a food show. It was actually pretty good. It tasted like gamey beef

Abigail Crabby
05-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Pickled herring - :furious:

nycfem
05-14-2010, 11:30 PM
As a child in Ohio, I cooked green grass from the backyard in the oven and ate it. I also fried grapes and "cooked" hot dogs by holding them up to a heater vent. Suddenly I feel inspired to cook something weird!

apretty
05-15-2010, 01:36 AM
i love lamb--but i don't think it's weird.

quail? (again, not that weird)

Sachita
05-15-2010, 03:58 AM
rattle snake
snails
iguana tail
alligator tail
frog legs
other various wild animals you probably havent heard of from other countries. I use to travel a lot and always tried local cuisine at least once.

I don't know which one is weirdest.

AtLast
05-15-2010, 04:04 AM
Rocky Mountain Oysters..... on a dare as a teenager. It was cuttin' time on the ranch. Yikes!

Blade
05-15-2010, 05:20 AM
opossum
turtle/cooter
bear
about any wild critter found in the south

afixer
05-26-2010, 12:24 PM
fried turtle

Passionaria
05-26-2010, 12:37 PM
I have experienced many interesting things in Chinese Herbal Formulas:
Centipedes
Earth worms
Scorpions
Turtle Shell
Abalone shells
All kinds of tree bark
Gekos
Deer Antler
Jelly fish
gemstones
pearls.........

I can see you are all anxious to try this type of medicine, right???? Actually most of you would never be given these things.........just happy plant material.

:cat: Pashi

waxnrope
05-26-2010, 04:24 PM
I have experienced many interesting things in Chinese Herbal Formulas:
Centipedes
Earth worms
Scorpions
Turtle Shell
Abalone shells
All kinds of tree bark
Gekos
Deer Antler
Jelly fish
gemstones
pearls.........

I can see you are all anxious to try this type of medicine, right???? Actually most of you would never be given these things.........just happy plant material.

:cat: Pashi

I could not find a puke smilie - this will have to do :runforhills: :rofl:

theoddz
05-26-2010, 05:22 PM
I love Chinese vegetable fungus in black bean sauce with tofu and Chinese broccoli. :eating:

Oh, and I also love chicken feet and beef tendon soup with noodles. :winky:

Most of the "weird" things I eat are traditional Cantonese Chinese dishes. :)

~Theo~ :bouquet:

TenderKnight
05-26-2010, 05:30 PM
curried beef lung.. mmm.. spicy spongy..

firie
05-26-2010, 05:50 PM
opossum
turtle/cooter
bear
about any wild critter found in the south

um, I really start showing my roots when I go to dipping my mac and cheese in ketchup.

I've had some really funky juices when on a raw food diet, all sorts of things thrown in--like mix of spinach, onion, beet, broccoli, celery, and avacado all diced up together with garlic in the form of a thick green like juice (or shake even). Really hard to swallow, and tasted like dirt.

Working at a Thai food restaurant the chefs would cook from time to time things more Thai than what was Americanized on the restaurant's menu. I don't think galangal root is weird, but some people do.

Alligator tail in Louisiana when I was a wee child, or so I was told, as maybe it could have been something else?

2myladyblue
05-26-2010, 06:34 PM
People have always told me how weird my food is, but after reading this thread, I'm not so sure....
I used to love molasses & cheese or peanut butter & banana sandwiches.
More recently....all things tofu or less common vegetables (gai lan, eggplant, spaghetti squash, chard or kale) usually get looks of warriness or outright disgust <shrug>.
I think I may have eaten headcheese once, but I don't think I ever shared the family favourites: chicken necks & pigs feet.
:linecook:
~Blue

TickledPink
05-26-2010, 06:35 PM
:seesaw:

Still debating on this. Lots weird. But, weird can be tasty! ;)

Bad_boi
05-27-2010, 04:46 AM
These were all on dares mind you:
Lettuce dipped in pancake syrup
Fried chicken dipped in Jelly
A cookie with spicy mustard
A sour gummy worm with wasabi <-- I think that one just might win lol

afrcnqueen
03-28-2015, 03:21 PM
frog legs...very chewy and tastes like chicken LOL
Also ate Ostrich jerky...not my cup of tea.

QueenofSmirks
03-28-2015, 03:28 PM
These were all on dares mind you:
Lettuce dipped in pancake syrup
Fried chicken dipped in Jelly
A cookie with spicy mustard
A sour gummy worm with wasabi <-- I think that one just might win lol

Fried chicken dipped in jelly sounds delicious! I love sweet and savory. I once put grape jelly on my nachos. LOL

QueenofSmirks
03-28-2015, 03:29 PM
The weirdest thing I ever ate was chocolate covered ants when I was a kid. My parents took us along on a trip through "wine country" and that was one of the "delicacies" being served. It was innovative for its time.... sometime in the mid 70's.