PDA

View Full Version : Movies anyone?

Pages : [1] 2

Mitmo01
11-07-2009, 07:02 AM
What movies are you interested in seeing or have you seen one lately, share with us your critiques, or whatever youd like regarding cinema...

Mitmo01
11-07-2009, 07:04 AM
I want to see Precious, I remember having to read the book for a class in college and being utterly blown away by Sapphires story. If this movie is halfway as good as the book it will be powerful

Wickedsuzi
11-07-2009, 07:12 AM
I'd like to see Precious also.... but the movie I'm DYING to see is..... get ready........ NEW MOON!!! {hearing the sound of collective groans} YES I'm an unapologetic Twilighter!! I'm really considering doing my final paper in psych on it... and have already done the requisite poll. It's truly interesting to hear the differences in opinions expressed. 13 More DAYZ!!!!:D

Leigh
11-07-2009, 10:01 AM
I have a few movies that I wanna see:

1) New Moon (yes I love the Twilight series too)
2) 2012
3) A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey
4) Astro Boy - I remember watching this as a kid and it was one of My favorite shows
5) The Vampire's Assistant
6) Paranormal Activity
7) The Fourth Kind

Lately the movies I've seen and love are Cloudy with A Chance of Meatballs and Couples Retreat ........ both hilarious movies that I really enjoyed seeing :)

dixie
11-07-2009, 10:07 AM
-New Moon (which I already have tickets for the midnight opening show ..lol)
-Paranormal Activity
-Fourth Kind
-Stepfather

Andrew, Jr.
11-07-2009, 01:45 PM
Movies I want to see:

Paranormal Activity
Fourth Kind (a true story)
Precious

Jet
11-07-2009, 02:07 PM
Amelia
The Box

Mitmo01
11-07-2009, 07:57 PM
I saw the trailer for the new twilight movie and im really interested in the baddies---the volturis-- i think i wanna see it for them and the lycans

i also just watched a teaser trailer for Angelina Jolies new movie coming out next summer called "Salt" she plays a CIA interrogator who might be a russian assassian, it looks awesome i dont want to wait for next summer to see it lol
the role was originally for tom cruise but he backed out and they re-wrote the script specifically for her i love politcal thrillers

another movie im interested in is a remake of an israeli movie called "The Debt" starring Helen Mirren--she plays a mossad agent in it and learned hebrew for the role--cant wait to see that one as well

Abigail Crabby
11-07-2009, 08:20 PM
New Moon
Fourth Kind
The Vampires Assistant
A Christmas Carol with Jim Carrey

Diva
11-07-2009, 09:41 PM
I want to see 2012, but someone needs to go with me in the daytime so I can rip their arm off and I won't have nightmares.

I also want to see Precious and the new Sandra Bullock movie.....the name I cannot recall.

~Diva

Scorp
11-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Same here Diva, I definitely want to see 2012.

I want to see 2012, but someone needs to go with me in the daytime so I can rip their arm off and I won't have nightmares.

I also want to see Precious and the new Sandra Bullock movie.....the name I cannot recall.

~Diva

Diva
11-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Same here Diva, I definitely want to see 2012.

The special effects on the trailer look absolutely amazing! Even on my teeny~tiny tv!!! I can't imagine what they'll be like on the big screen!!!

Diva
11-07-2009, 09:59 PM
The Blind Side is the name of the new Sandra Bullock movie....I just saw the trailer/commercial! Yea!

~Diva

Mitmo01
11-08-2009, 10:58 PM
http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi1217987865/

this is what i want to see

pajama
11-08-2009, 11:47 PM
I saw the trailer for the new twilight movie and im really interested in the baddies---the volturis-- i think i wanna see it for them and the lycans

I remember reading the book, and that scene when they heard the people in for 'dinner'. I remember thinking, "well thank gods, there are actually some real vampires in this book" uggh. That's the last one in the series I read.

I'm looking forward to Boondock Saints II, All Saint's Day, although I really feel that Boondock Saints is a one shot deal. Curious to see how it goes.

And definitely YES to The Blind Side, looked amazing. When she threatens those thugs for messing with her family...totally Awesome!

A

Eddie
11-08-2009, 11:58 PM
Paranormal Activity and Fourth Kind so far.

Fourth Kind is not a true story. They are setting it up the way Blair Witch was set up to make the public believe it was a true story. :D

Softly
11-09-2009, 03:18 AM
new moon!
still need to see the new SAW.

We watched this movie called Antichrist last night and I was bored to tears BUT it was VERY interesting. not sure how it could be so good and so bad at the same time. It's a fucked up movie.

Antichrist
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0870984/

Waldo
11-10-2009, 05:46 PM
Saw The Men Who Stare At Goats last night and thought it was brilliant. Truly hilarious. George Clooney was magic.

Jett
11-16-2009, 10:43 AM
Saw "Fourth Kind" last week... I'd give it 3 1/2 outta five stars.

...today I have a date to see the one I've been waiting for...

YouTube- Adam Lambert - 2012 - Time for Miracles FULL VERSION

Gemme
11-16-2009, 11:28 PM
I haven't been to a movie theatre in months! I prefer to go out to movies with someone and I just haven't been able to meet up with anyone to see the ones I'd like to.

I'm all in for The Blind Side and, yes, even New Moon although I am NOT a Twilighter. I just like hot teenage violence, apparently. :bow:

2012 looks interesting. I might see it eventually.

Arwen
11-16-2009, 11:47 PM
Oh I am such a geek...I'm totally excited that Star Trek ( the new old one) releases on DVD tomorrow.

In the theaters?

The Blind Side (read the story on CNN and it was amazing)
New Moon
The Vampire's Assistant
Red Cliffs

2012 sounds good but I'm going to wait for the DVD most likely. Sounds too scary to me to go see it. It would give me nightmares. The evening news can give me nightmares. LOL

redrose
12-14-2009, 07:15 AM
Rome and Juliet ...

Mitmo01
12-14-2009, 09:19 AM
I want to see the new Sherlock Holmes movie I love Guy Ritchies movies--RocknRolla kicked ass--not as much ass as Lock, Stock, and Two smoking barrels but it was good

The Lovely Bones--Im not much of a fiction reader but this book was on a coworkers desk a few years ago and we were slow at work, I read the entire thing at work and i was mesmerized

and I think im on the Avatar bandwagon----at the Imax i believe

daisygrrl
12-14-2009, 09:52 AM
The Lovely Bones--Im not much of a fiction reader but this book was on a coworkers desk a few years ago and we were slow at work, I read the entire thing at work and i was mesmerized

I was so taken with the non-fiction version (by the same author about her experiences) entitled Lucky that I couldn't read Lovely Bones. But, I'm very anxious to see the film.

Also, for those Kristen Stewart fans: she was also in a sort of B-movie entitled Speak, which is pretty good and based on Young Adult book with the same title. I recommend both the book & film--the ways it portrays with the trauma experienced after rape is exceptional, in my opinion.

Robert Pattinson (better known as "Edward") also starred in Little Ashes (2008), which is about the romance between Salvador Dali (surrealist artist) & Federico García Lorca (political poet). I think it's a wonderful film to view on the screen with a glass of wine; the historical stuff is great but some of the cinematography effects were a bit over-the-top for me.

This is a fabulous thread!

Mitmo01
12-14-2009, 10:18 AM
ah I forgot to mention that we saw the move "precious" based on Sapphires book " Push" which was a phenomenal read

the movie was true to the book and its adaptation did the book semi-justice for such a heartwrenching story.....amazing that we humans still have the capacity for resilience after what you can be put through as a child...im sure some oscar nominations will be handed out to this cast---Mo'nique should get a nod just for her portrayal of the mother and how she captures the sinister nature of absolute selfishness.....she was amazing and evil all at the same time

Jet
12-18-2009, 08:33 PM
precious was one of the worst movies I've ever seen and should have stayed a book. I don't like the surreal transitions and the vignette style of composition.

WILDCAT
12-19-2009, 07:29 AM
I LOVE critiquing movies!!! (Especially afterwards, discussing with it a love or a close friend! )

Any Quentin Tarantino fans here? Blaze of Glory is now coming out, or just did - on DVD and I want to see it. It is in good Quentin form? (Worth purchasing?)

I LOVED going to movies in the Big Apple, but here at the cabin, well... I just don't get to the "BIG SCREEN" too often here - if you know what I mean!

WILD

*Oh, is the "Netflix?" a paid for internet site for newer movie watching? How does that work? Anyone here belong, or subscribe? It might be good for me being tucked away a bit and loving movies so much. Is there a limit? A minimun? Or you must pay a set fee amount no matter what - and by the movie too, or... only by each movie? Or both? Never mind, duh! I'll look it up! Any opinion by anyone would be appreciated though! Thanks.

Arwen
12-20-2009, 11:18 AM
Wildcat, I used to belong to Netflix but switched to the Blockbuster version because I had a store close by. That way I could take the movies mailed to me and return them at the store for MORE movies. Loved it.

I watched a ton of movies when I did that.

Just saw Sunshine Cleaning with Amy Adams, Alan Arkin and Emily Blunt. Would never have heard of it if not for my friend, OrganicButch. Hy heard about it from another friend.

Whoa. A really intriguing little film that made me stop and think. The premise is that an ex-cheerleader (head cheerleader even) [Amy Adams] who dated the captain of the football team is now cleaning houses trying to make ends meet. She's also a single mom of a very precocious, intelligent little boy. I think he's around 8 or 9 in the movie. Her sister[Emily Blunt] is pretty much useless and a royal screw-up who just can't do anything right.

Alan Arkin is the dad who is constantly onto his next big money-maker. He constantly promises but rarely delivers. He raised the two girls after their mother's death when they were young. When Rose translates her cleaning skills into a bio-hazard cleaning company, his response is so subtle. You don't really know why until a bit later in the movie but I don't want to give that away.

The movie explored some really emotional themes for me including the loss of a parent and how death affects us in such different ways. There is a really small side lesbian part. It was interesting but not really that important to the movie in my opinion.

The Amy Adams character (Rose) has the bulk of the character arc but her dad (Arkin) and sister (Blunt) both do show growth and development. I found this movie to have emotional chops as well as some really funny comedic moments. And when they blended them together is when this movie really (sun)shined for me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862846/ is the IMDB page.

Mitmo01
12-20-2009, 11:33 AM
Netflix is awesome and very very valuble if you like movies

you can instantly stream movies to your computer or your bluray player as part of the subscription and its worth its weight in gold

Quentin Tarentino is one of my fav directors---i love the dialogue in his movies, I love how he captures the inane way people talk and also the way that his characters are insane but sane at the same time---like real life

Im going to watch a great movie with Viggo Mortensen and Naomi Watts, directed by David Cronenberg called "Eastern Promises" if you havent seen it you should check it out

Random
12-20-2009, 12:10 PM
precious was one of the worst movies I've ever seen and should have stayed a book. I don't like the surreal transitions and the vignette style of composition.

While I didn't think it was one of the worst movies.. I do have to agree that I didn't really enjoy the daydream sequence.. I also didn't like that they left her poetry out of the movie...

I do think that other than those points, they did a fantastic joy if translating the book into film.... It was probably one of the most honest translations that I have ever seen.

I don't ever want to the movie again..

Queerasfck
12-20-2009, 01:21 PM
While I didn't think it was one of the worst movies.. I do have to agree that I didn't really enjoy the daydream sequence.. I also didn't like that they left her poetry out of the movie...

I do think that other than those points, they did a fantastic joy if translating the book into film.... It was probably one of the most honest translations that I have ever seen.

I don't ever want to the movie again..

Ms Cyn, I agree. I thought they did a really good job translating the book into a film. But it's not a movie I'll want to watch again. I knew about the book and had read some reviews of the film. I had a pretty good idea about what I would be watching. I wouldn't say it was a pleasurable movie experience, in fact while watching the film I got very uncomfortable at times. Sort of like how I felt while watching Schindler's List. Very moving, very well acted but incredibly sad.

NotAnAverageGuy
12-20-2009, 05:43 PM
The Blind Side was awesome

hippieflowergirl
12-20-2009, 06:24 PM
just watched The Rape of Europa for a 2d time. super good. moving on to Food, Inc. now.

weatherboi
12-20-2009, 06:28 PM
just watched The Rape of Europa for a 2d time. super good. moving on to Food, Inc. now.

Food Inc is awesome...Enjoy!!

hippieflowergirl
12-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Food Inc is awesome...Enjoy!!

yaaaaaaaaaaay!

Gemme
12-21-2009, 07:15 PM
*Oh, is the "Netflix?" a paid for internet site for newer movie watching? How does that work? Anyone here belong, or subscribe? It might be good for me being tucked away a bit and loving movies so much. Is there a limit? A minimun? Or you must pay a set fee amount no matter what - and by the movie too, or... only by each movie? Or both? Never mind, duh! I'll look it up! Any opinion by anyone would be appreciated though! Thanks.

Netflix is awesome. You sign up, pick movies and they are sent to your house within one business day. You watch the movies, send them back and get more picks at your house. Rinse, lather and repeat. I think the price being promoted now is $9/month.

Wildcat, I used to belong to Netflix but switched to the Blockbuster version because I had a store close by. That way I could take the movies mailed to me and return them at the store for MORE movies. Loved it.

I watched a ton of movies when I did that.

Just saw Sunshine Cleaning with Amy Adams, Alan Arkin and Emily Blunt. Would never have heard of it if not for my friend, OrganicButch. Hy heard about it from another friend.

Whoa. A really intriguing little film that made me stop and think. The premise is that an ex-cheerleader (head cheerleader even) [Amy Adams] who dated the captain of the football team is now cleaning houses trying to make ends meet. She's also a single mom of a very precocious, intelligent little boy. I think he's around 8 or 9 in the movie. Her sister[Emily Blunt] is pretty much useless and a royal screw-up who just can't do anything right.

Alan Arkin is the dad who is constantly onto his next big money-maker. He constantly promises but rarely delivers. He raised the two girls after their mother's death when they were young. When Rose translates her cleaning skills into a bio-hazard cleaning company, his response is so subtle. You don't really know why until a bit later in the movie but I don't want to give that away.

The movie explored some really emotional themes for me including the loss of a parent and how death affects us in such different ways. There is a really small side lesbian part. It was interesting but not really that important to the movie in my opinion.

The Amy Adams character (Rose) has the bulk of the character arc but her dad (Arkin) and sister (Blunt) both do show growth and development. I found this movie to have emotional chops as well as some really funny comedic moments. And when they blended them together is when this movie really (sun)shined for me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0862846/ is the IMDB page.

I absolutely loved this movie even if the part with the mattress totally squicked me out.

daisygrrl
12-22-2009, 09:45 AM
I'm a bit behind in the recommendations that my friends have given me, but I just finished Transamerica (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0407265/) (2005).

I was pleased to see that the main protagonist, a transititioning Male-to-Female, was portrayed by a female actress (instead of a male actor). I don't watch Desperate Housewives (or anything, really, with any regularity), but I thought that Felicity Huffman did well in the role.

WILDCAT
12-22-2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks for the feedback Arwen. I did the "thanks" button, but it is not registering. Perhaps you still got the rep though, or it will eventually show here.

Gemme, thank you too. I was thinking it was more along the lines of what Mitmo was stating - like you could download movies through the internet (?) I don't know anything about Blue-Ray yet... how that would apply through my PC.

But, to "send the DVD's back", you mean they must be mailed then, within a certain time frame? I get snowed in sometimes here. So, can you "just do" either Netflix or Blockbuster ONLY via the computer/internet?
__

So, Mitmo, have you seen Blades of Glory then yet? I LOVE his movies!! Heroes REALLY stunned me!! (I think I have that title correct with regards to him). And, I could watch the Kill Bill movies over and over. I have quite a library here, and I occasionally can buy new releases at our one grocery store. (Yep, it's totally a "one horse town".)
__

Transamerica. I have wanted to see that movie since I first heard about it and - still have yet to! I am so far behind in my movie watching. The closest town with a movie theater can't always stay open (for lack of business), and keeps changing hands. Renting would be a drive either way I go, and to return timely without late fees feels like pressure. Joykill for movie watching then here. And I dumped my Dish Network after years of being with them, as they were screwing us folks with the older Dish. (Charging us for newer channels that we could not pick up.) And my cable here is just terrible.

I'm not complaining, it's just the way it is.

SO, it's down to my computer. I was only able to get high speed this past year. But, at least I have it now!!

So, suggestions on what would be best choice for internet only, nothing requiring mailing? Anything? Nine bucks a month is a very good deal!! If I can do that just downloading here!

Thanks,
WILDCAT

always2late
12-22-2009, 06:42 PM
Has anyone seen the trailer for "Legion"? Looks like it could go one of two ways...really awesome, or totally sucky.

Gemme
12-22-2009, 07:40 PM
Gemme, thank you too. I was thinking it was more along the lines of what Mitmo was stating - like you could download movies through the internet (?) I don't know anything about Blue-Ray yet... how that would apply through my PC.

But, to "send the DVD's back", you mean they must be mailed then, within a certain time frame? I get snowed in sometimes here. So, can you "just do" either Netflix or Blockbuster ONLY via the computer/internet?

So, suggestions on what would be best choice for internet only, nothing requiring mailing? Anything? Nine bucks a month is a very good deal!! If I can do that just downloading here!

Thanks,
WILDCAT

No worries. You can do it all with Netflix. There's no time frame. That's one of the things that makes it so awesome. You keep the movies as long as you want and when they get those back from you, they send out others on your list. When you sign up, you make a list and, from what I'm told, you can add to the list at any time. So, you know what you are getting but some of them come sooner than others so it's still a bit of a surprise.

If you pay for the service, you can watch some of the movies off of the Netflix site. No downloading, though, I don't believe.

Blockbuster took what Netflix does and came up with something between what they had and what Netflix has. So it's similar in process.

daisygrrl
12-23-2009, 06:59 AM
Transamerica. I have wanted to see that movie since I first heard about it and - still have yet to!

It's definitely worth your time (and even the few bucks to buy a gently used copy) :)

Also, I just watched (yes, I know--I'm really behind) Victor Victoria (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084865/) with Julie Andrews--and I love it :cheer:

I enjoyed Hedwig and the Angry Inch (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0248845/), too; but, it's one of those thought-provoking movies that is best (IMO) when watched and discussed with friends. (BTW: Jordy Jones' "Gender Without Genitals" in The Transgender Studies Reader is a pretty insightful critique of how Hedwig is actually a more conservative film that uses transsexualism as a metaphor for a gay male coming-of-out story.)

Oh, and Wildcat: I have never used it, but I think Amazon offers a digital download/video-on-demand of many films on its site...

Jet
12-23-2009, 06:25 PM
I LOVE critiquing movies!!! (Especially afterwards, discussing with it a love or a close friend! )

Any Quentin Tarantino fans here? Blaze of Glory is now coming out, or just did - on DVD and I want to see it. It is in good Quentin form? (Worth purchasing?)

I LOVED going to movies in the Big Apple, but here at the cabin, well... I just don't get to the "BIG SCREEN" too often here - if you know what I mean!

WILD

I subscribe, it's good and convenient

Jet
12-24-2009, 03:43 PM
2012 had spectacular effects. long movie.

Queerasfck
12-27-2009, 09:24 AM
We recently saw "Up in the Air". It was very good, two thumbs up. Enjoyed the dialogue.

Oiler41
12-27-2009, 09:40 AM
The Blind Side is a fantastic movie! I expected it to be sad, but it is really more of a feel good movie.

What appears to be a bit of a sleeper is Pirate Radio. If you have any love at all of classic rock music, it is a must see! It is one that I will definately buy when it comes out on Blu Ray!

Happy Movie Watching!

Glynn

Arwen
12-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Has anyone seen "Nine" with Penelope Cruz etc?

And is it just me or did 2009 and feature a LOT of "9" movies? I can think of three offhand.

blush
12-27-2009, 09:46 AM
I'm really curious about the Lovely Bones. I hope they do a good job with it.

Arwen
12-27-2009, 09:51 AM
I'm really curious about the Lovely Bones. I hope they do a good job with it.

The only King book I've ever read is "Bag Of Bones." Do you know off-hand if this is related to that?

I loved that book. I also really loved "The Green Mile" once a certain sneezy redhead convinced me to watch it. I just hate horror so much that I think ALL of King's stuff is horror.

If this movie is based on "Bag Of Bones", I will go see it.

SNORT. I just researched it. Not the book or the author I'm thinking of. Oh well. sad face.

Tommi
12-27-2009, 11:36 AM
Sherrie and I loved our Date night move "The Blind Side"..I love football, and...she loves me..so it was all good.

Also enjoyed the true story ~Julie & Julia with Meryl Streep as the legendary Julia Child. Julie struggling to make the over 500 recipes's, working full time and blogging daily was fun.. Streep, as always was excellent.

RNguy
12-27-2009, 01:12 PM
My favorite all time movie has to be RUDY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm a DIE HARD Notre Dame fan though ( gosh I hope their program gets turned around soon )
I'm not sure if the femme girls would like the movie or not, but it really is a great motivational movie.

-RNguy

apretty
12-27-2009, 01:27 PM
we saw 'up in the air' on xmas, with EZ's mom. it's one of the better movies i've seen in awhile...we all liked it and it has a good soundtrack. (also, we've finally recovered from seeing 'precious' about a month ago)

Jet
01-10-2010, 02:30 PM
My only comment about 2012 is that it had stunning effects.

Arwen
01-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Just saw Avatar (3D at the Imax) for the second time. I can't say enough good things about this movie! Who else has seen it?

Mitmo01
01-19-2010, 12:40 PM
Deathproof was so fucking awesome i have to watch it again

the ending was totally unexpected and had me actually cheering

now i wish i wouldve seen it on the big screen when it came out

and the soundtrack was phenomenal but of course his movies always have great music but this one was exceptionally swell lol

He is a master of dialogue---people in real life talk like his characters do.....they talk about bullshit and inane drivel and its fucking hilarious lol

I just love his movies beyond belief even the movies that he wrote and did not direct like Natural Born Killers and True Romance are awesome!!

daisygrrl
01-19-2010, 03:38 PM
The last couple of weeks, I've been watching a couple of wonderful classics (for the first time).

The 1954 version of A Star is Born with Judy Garland--wow. This film is both emotionally stirring--and brilliantly made. Dorothy Parker, the poet, helped to write this screenplay (I just found out this bit of trivia!).

The Heiress (1949) with Olivia de Havilland and a very young Montgomery Clift. Love, riches, and a woman with gumption--this is a "must-see"!

Happy viewing, ya'll!

DapperButch
03-13-2010, 06:26 PM
I just got back from seeing the Green Zone. :army:

I give it a thumbs up. A 7 or 8. Worth it to go to the theater.

Jet
03-13-2010, 07:03 PM
I began to watch The Gray Man. Disgusting true story.. i will never see the reason for film makers to glorify serial child killers who their eat their victims, thereby by making a movie about them and their crimes. TV is disgusting. It's neither entertaining nor does it contribute to mental and emotional welfare on any level. It saturates the brain and being of filth, violence and unconscionable suffering. I'd like my soul to inhale something healthy, so...I turned this in the first half hour.

Soon
03-14-2010, 09:18 PM
500 Days of Summer

Soon
03-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Capitalism: A Love Story

(but I think I need BP meds now)

UofMfan
03-15-2010, 08:34 PM
500 Days of Summer

How was it? I heard it was good.

Soon
03-15-2010, 08:43 PM
How was it? I heard it was good.

We really enjoyed it! Kinda quirky offbeat story about the highs and lows of love. I recommend it!

UofMfan
03-15-2010, 08:56 PM
We really enjoyed it! Kinda quirky offbeat story about the highs and lows of love. I recommend it!

Then I shall get it.

Mitmo01
04-25-2010, 01:04 PM
We jsut watched a movie called "Fish Tank"

it won the best pic award at the BAFTAS this year and it was awesome

its set in a council estate in Essex UK and its the tale of this teenage girls rough life....

very realistic

the lead actress in it was discovered by the casting director having a loud arguement with her boyfriend at a train station in Essex...

very poignant portrayal and story of poor kids growing up in the hood in the uk

scootebaby
04-25-2010, 01:30 PM
another Twilighter here...waiting for Eclipse to come out.

saw Paranormal Activity...slow but ending was soooooooo worth it..love that stuff

movie i saw a few yrs ago--still to this day,every now and then i find myself thinking bout it "The Girl Next Door" based loosely on true events set back in 60s i think
The Virgin Suicides..also based on true events

diamondrose
04-25-2010, 01:55 PM
I just finished watching Somethings gotta give. Oh my.. it was sooo funny and so romantic!! Tear

daisygrrl
04-25-2010, 03:01 PM
A month or so ago, I saw the award-winning Precious (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0929632/)--a movie, in my opinion, that lives up to its "hype." The acting is really on-target--and with so many difficult emotional scenes, the lack of artifice is really phenomenal. I also believe that the director Lee Daniels (producer of Monsters Ball) and screenwriter Geoffrey Fletcher did an amazing job in staying true to Sapphire's splendid novel Push--and that is truly an accomplishment!

Jet
05-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Watching Godfather I &II tonight.
it's still great.

KayCee
05-11-2010, 08:48 AM
...2012 and Avatar I bought on DVD are next

Arwen
05-11-2010, 06:51 PM
The movies I've seen recently are:

The Blind Side

Um...Sandra Bullock really was THAT good in her performance but over all I found the movie to be a bit weak.

Clash Of The Titans

Really enjoyed it. I want to rewatch the old one again then see the new one immediately after to compare. I thought they did a great job with the story line.

Jess
05-11-2010, 09:20 PM
:knighthorse::fencing: Can't wait for Robin Hood!

Soon
05-11-2010, 09:23 PM
An Education

Softly
05-11-2010, 09:35 PM
just recently watched The Box, it was so horrible.

Jet
05-26-2010, 06:26 PM
I'm watching Death Sentence with Kevin Bacon and Kelly Preston
for about the 30th time.

Good revenge movie though.

Manul
06-19-2010, 09:35 PM
<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LjMkNrX60mA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LjMkNrX60mA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Fabulous movie. :movieguy:

Queerasfck
06-19-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm making apretty watch "A History of Violence" with Viggo. She's not loving it.

Jet
07-09-2010, 10:37 PM
I watched The Prestige with Michael Cain, Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman for the second time last night. I still don't get the ending or who's in the water tank. Anybody?

Jet
07-16-2010, 07:42 PM
I N C E P T I O N

xitHF0IPJSQ

Jess
07-16-2010, 08:23 PM
One review.. I've heard nothing but good stuff about this film..

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0842926/

Queerasfck
07-26-2010, 03:58 PM
We've seen a few movies lately.

Cyrus. Loved it. Thought it was funny and the performances were all great. Jonah Hill and John C Reilly were both fantastic.

The Kids Are Alright. Very good. Thought it started to veer off course but I ended up being pleasantly surprised. I thought it was really written very well and the performances were all excellent. Especially Annette Bening. I can't say enough positive things about her performance. Oscar worthy.

Inception. Read all the hype and saw all 'wow' ads. We saw this just the other night. It was pretty good but I'm not in love with it. Not like anything I've ever seen in a movie before so it was very unique. A little too long though. Like I said, I didn't LOVE it.

Apocalipstic
07-26-2010, 04:28 PM
I watched The Runaways this weekend, I thought it was good.

I liked the Twilight chick much better playing Joan Jet! Grin!

They made Lita Ford look like a biachhh though. She is an amazing guitarist, though I have no idea how she is to deal with...or was at 15.

waxnrope
07-26-2010, 04:44 PM
We've seen a few movies lately.

Cyrus. Loved it. Thought it was funny and the performances were all great. Jonah Hill and John C Reilly were both fantastic.

The Kids Are Alright. Very good. Thought it started to veer off course but I ended up being pleasantly surprised. I thought it was really written very well and the performances were all excellent. Especially Annette Bening. I can't say enough positive things about her performance. Oscar worthy.

Inception. Read all the hype and saw all 'wow' ads. We saw this just the other night. It was pretty good but I'm not in love with it. Not like anything I've ever seen in a movie before so it was very unique. A little too long though. Like I said, I didn't LOVE it.

Gads! I cannot get this up via search engine on my smart(dumb)phone. Anyway, I wanted to post about The Kids are Alright and Inception. Ezee pretty much says what I felt about the two films. Although, I am going to see Inception again on video when it comes out ... there was a LOT going on in that film, it was long, and my 4 friends that I saw it with left feeling confused by it.

Cowboi
07-26-2010, 05:14 PM
[QUOTE=Jet;154559]I N C E P T I O N

xitHF0IPJSQ[/QUOTE

I liked it!!!

Arwen
07-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Thumbs up for the Sorcerer's Apprentice. Just a fun movie with a silly plot. Meant to be summer entertainment and does the job. :)

Gemme
07-26-2010, 07:54 PM
Anyone see Salt yet? I think it looks good.

Emmy
07-30-2010, 12:37 AM
I also liked Inception very much! The dream landscapes were great; it was so much fun to watch them grow, change, dissolve.

RadiantYearning
07-30-2010, 12:56 AM
Anyone see Salt yet? I think it looks good.

I'm going to see Salt tomorrow night, I'll report back with details. I've wanted to see it since I saw the trailer months ago during another movie's previews.

RadiantYearning
07-30-2010, 05:36 PM
Gemme ...

Salt was incredible! I really enjoyed it and highly recommend that anyone who likes Angelina Jolie or even just action movies go see it. The movie grabs your attention from the opening scenes and it never lets go. The action and fighting sequences are great, Angelina is hot and the plot is even decent.

Good, fun movie!!

Jet
07-30-2010, 06:31 PM
I've watched The Stepfather, a give or take movie, a few times because it's on my computer. Sela Ward is great in it, there's a lot more to her as an actor than what you see on television.

jenny
07-30-2010, 06:44 PM
The last two movies I saw were Shrek and The Kids are All Right. Loved 'em both!

Now there's a whole bunch of movies coming out that I want to see -- I just have to find the time to do it!

Leigh
07-30-2010, 07:11 PM
I went with a friend to the cheap theatre last night and saw Marmaduke ~ cool movie, loved it :clap:

Gemme
07-30-2010, 11:18 PM
Gemme ...

Salt was incredible! I really enjoyed it and highly recommend that anyone who likes Angelina Jolie or even just action movies go see it. The movie grabs your attention from the opening scenes and it never lets go. The action and fighting sequences are great, Angelina is hot and the plot is even decent.

Good, fun movie!!

Thanks!

I went to the base and saw Grownups tonight. I was pleasantly surprised that the best bits weren't used up in the trailers. It's a good family movie with a lot of laughter. :)

Jet
07-30-2010, 11:41 PM
I'm watching Cujo for the first time since it came out years ago. The lady and her little boy are stuck in the same piece of shit Pinto like my mom used to drive.

dixie
07-31-2010, 12:08 AM
I loved the original Pirahna. I want to see this new version. :)

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mW5_4gZ0Jn4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mW5_4gZ0Jn4&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

foxyshaman
08-03-2010, 11:33 AM
I saw The Last Airbender and absolutely loved it. When I went to Rotten Tomatoes and saw that the critics gave it 6% I knew I would love it. I love myths and elemental stories.

Saw Inception, enjoyed it, but would like to see it again. I thought the ending snuck through enough to give you an idea of the last result. A bit long for me too.

Iron Man 2 - Fun Fun Fun Robert Downey Jr. can read box labels and I would still love him. He was fabu in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang...

Shutter Island - loved it. Loved the ending. Kept me interested the whole time.

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.... EXCELLENT. I love a good foreign film.

Gemme
08-03-2010, 09:42 PM
Our Family Wedding-played out formula but with actors like America Ferrera, Forest Whitaker, Carlos Mencia and Regina King....it's highly entertaining.

wKfmsOfYNh8

Mister Bent
08-03-2010, 09:50 PM
We rented The Happening.

It was entertaining, but typical M. Night Shyamalan.
Creepy and lame at the end.

Cyclopea
08-05-2010, 04:59 PM
I reaaaaally want to see this but unless I decide to drive to Philly this Saturday it looks like I will have to wait to rent it on DVD.

JQYSRXT3CiU

For anyone in the following places you can check it out on the following dates:

Philly Aug 7
Springfield,MO Aug 6-8
Tucson Aug 20-21
Rochester Sept 11-12
:goodluck:

scootebaby
08-05-2010, 05:40 PM
My son and I just saw Grown Ups..the comedy with Adam Sandler....extremely funny right up to the end...to us anyway,and we are hard to entertain!

Jett
08-05-2010, 06:36 PM
Stoked for seeing Inception this weekend...

Also sort of looking forward to "Devil" though like Bent said M. Night Shyamalan has a history of let downs, still it looks like a good premise so I'm totally willing to chance it.

*not above seeing a bad movie*
Metro

Gemme
08-06-2010, 02:38 AM
Drew Barrymore has a new movie coming out about long distance relationships. It looks funny and sweet.

Trailer (http://going-the-distance.warnerbros.com/)

scootebaby
08-07-2010, 10:36 AM
watched Mirrors(with Keifer Sutherland) last night...not too new a movie,but totally loved the effects! and was interesting all way up to the end

Saw Inception a couple weeks ago....think i liked it...still not sure...but very cool effects as well

MysticOceansFL
08-07-2010, 11:05 AM
Iron Man 2 was really good

Jett
08-09-2010, 05:03 PM
Saw "Inception" yesterday, pretty damn good movie... longer than I expected but I have a short attention span when it comes to movies so that probably wouldn't bother most folks. One thing though... with this movie I think the most important thing to know is this site:

www.runpee.com (http://www.runpee.com/)
(linky)

....because you really wouldn't want to get popcorn or run and pee without it or you're not going to know what the hell's going on when you get back.

3.5 out of 5 stars on the Metro meter ;)

Metropolis
(and serious that site is great if you drink big soda's at the flicks)

dark_crystal
09-04-2010, 10:03 AM
Drew Barrymore has a new movie coming out about long distance relationships. It looks funny and sweet.

Trailer (http://going-the-distance.warnerbros.com/)

i saw it last night and my date laughed her heinie off even after grumbling about me making her see a "girl" movie

although i had to have a long talk with myself about why i wanted to see it in the first place, which was something about how in the butch-femme community you might need to be prepared for the fact that LDR's might be inevitable and why, self, do you think seeing a Drew Barrymore movie about LDR's is going to help with that?

lipstixgal
09-04-2010, 10:13 AM
i saw it last night and my date laughed her heinie off even after grumbling about me making her see a "girl" movie

although i had to have a long talk with myself about why i wanted to see it in the first place, which was something about how in the butch-femme community you might need to be prepared for the fact that LDR's might be inevitable and why, self, do you think seeing a Drew Barrymore movie about LDR's is going to help with that?

I think seeing a LDr movie is a great thing because it could give you some points on what to do in that case.

I saw Quarantine on Thursday on Starz was kinda stupid I thought!!

dark_crystal
09-04-2010, 10:23 AM
with this movie I think the most important thing to know is this site:

www.runpee.com (http://www.runpee.com/)
(linky)

(and serious that site is great if you drink big soda's at the flicks)

that link may have just changed my (cultural) life

Hack
09-04-2010, 10:39 AM
I watched "A Single Man" last night on DVD. Colin Firth was nominated for an Oscar this past year for his performance in it. It's a great movie. Very poignant. The opening monologue is one of the most brilliantly worded passages about grief that I have ever heard.

Jet
09-15-2010, 03:17 PM
The trailer for The Tourist with Johnny Depp and Angelina Jolie:

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-jolie-and-depp-get-close-in-the-trailer-for-the-tourist.html

Jet
09-17-2010, 05:13 AM
The Town

http://thetownmovie.warnerbros.com/#/home

dark_crystal
09-26-2010, 02:23 PM
yesterday i Netflixed Bright Star (Jane Campion, 2009)

The drama based on the three-year romance between 19th century poet John Keats and Fanny Brawne, which was cut short by Keats' untimely death at age 25.

it was amazing.

waxnrope
09-26-2010, 02:31 PM
The Town

http://thetownmovie.warnerbros.com/#/home

Yes, this is a must see. I think it will be in the running for an Academy Award. I give it 4 1/2 beak (I've got parrots, what do ya want? Lol) out of 5.

Gemme
09-26-2010, 07:00 PM
I saw Salt, G-Force, and All About Steve recently and I actually dug all of them. :thumbsup:

Mitmo01
09-27-2010, 08:08 PM
I thought Salt was pretty interesting and it had some nice suspenseful moments...

recent movies that I saw that I will mention...

Hard Candy

a documentary called Life off the grid--mesa colony? it was fascinating

another documentary called "Prodigal Sons" very good...

EnderD_503
09-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Just recently saw Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and liked it. For some reason it reminded me of a lot of the 80's/early to mid-90's adventure/fantasy movies I used to watch when I was younger, so I'd recommend it if you're a fan. Or if you're a fan of the games, of course.

Saw Abandoned over the weekend as well. It was alright. Had some decent twists.

Jet
09-27-2010, 10:48 PM
i watched The Wrestler tonight. I think Mickey Rourk is really good. But its not a movie I'd watch again.

Gemme
09-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Mickey Rourke was the perfect choice for the antagonist in Iron Man II but Don Cheadle (as much as I like him) was unnconvincing as a military man.

Kobi
10-01-2010, 12:39 AM
The Ghost Writer - Roman Polanski film....Pierce Brosnan, Kim Cattrall, Ewan McGregor.....excellent thriller, lots of twists and turns, might touch a wee bit close to reality hence explaining the justice departments obsession with getting Polanski back on USA soil around the time this film was released.

Nawen
10-01-2010, 02:29 AM
After seeing Chocolate (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1183252/), I was in mood for more girl action films, so I watched Fighter (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0995029/), too.

Aicha, a high-school student, is a passionate kung fu fighter. Her Turkish parents expect her to get good grades so she can get into medical school, like her brother Ali. But school doesn't inspire her. Defying her family, Aicha starts secretly training at a professional, co-ed kung fu club.

I recommend both - the first more for the choreography, the second more for the emo part.

EnderD_503
10-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Last night I watched The Countess, which was a German/French film on the life of the infamous Erzsebet Bathory. I personally quite liked it. If anything, the film felt a little rushed. The beginning in particular felt like the movie was on fastforward, but once it reached beyond the death of her husband it slowed down. They seemed to take some liberties with the history, though. They gave her three daughters in the film and forgot her sons entirely and the whole movie seemed to be based on various theories about her life, trials etc. Still a good film, though.

SmoothButch
10-01-2010, 09:09 PM
We just saw the Town.

Ben Afleck was great! I love a good bank robber movie.

LipstickLola
10-02-2010, 12:05 AM
I just saw Wall Street, rather slow moving and predictable, IMO.

skip it til rental time. :blink:

Laerkin
10-10-2010, 07:13 AM
We saw the Waiting for Superman documentary last night.

Wow. Compelling, convincing, heartbreaking, staggering, and left me saddened.

I would HIGHLY encourage folks to see it. You'll leave thinking "wow", too.

ZKTfaro96dg

Jet
10-10-2010, 09:51 AM
Secretariat
The Town
and maybe Chain Letter
are on my list

Semantics
10-10-2010, 10:09 AM
I just ordered The Experiment with Adrien Brody and Forest Whitaker.

It's a remake of Das Experiment which was based on the Stanford Prison Experiment.

Miss Scarlett
10-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Recent movies watched:

The Blind Side - very good but I get the feeling a lot of license was probably taken by the director & writer. I thought "SJ" stole the show.

Seven Years in Tibet - not a big Brad Pitt fan but I liked the movie, the culture clashes were interesting. (Bit of trivia - the Dalai Lama's sister played his mother in this fiim.)

Twilight - I love the scenery. My boss says I am probably one of the only people on the planet who would watch this folm fr the scenery.

O Brother Where Art Thou - love, love, love this! "Do not seek the treasure...", "We thought you was a toad..." "...R-U-N-N-O-F-T..." and the line Shelia hates to hear me quote "I've spoken my piece and counted to three."

Gemme
10-10-2010, 07:56 PM
The Losers~predictable in the beginning but a good action flick plus Zoe Saldana is a hot badass.

Just Wright~Queen Latifah. 'nuff said. :thumbsup:

Kick Ass~I knew it was darker than the trailers let on, but it was MUCH darker than I expected. We liked it though.

Dance Flick~it was alright. Some parts were awesome and we totally cracked up and the rest was like 'eh'. We both love the Wayans family though.

Jet
10-10-2010, 08:09 PM
One of the best movies I've seen recently is State of Play with Ben Affleck and Russel Crowe

Shades of All the President's Men. If you like suspense, crime dramas or the political genre I highly recommend it!

Rook
10-10-2010, 08:37 PM
I saw

The Karate Kid {Jaden Smith / Jackie Chan}, Some parts gave a "nod" to the original, but it was very well-done..some parts kinda stretched credibility, but then, thats the beauty of Films...Although, the main difference between the 2 movies is "Dre" isn't learning karate but rather Wushu/Gungfu

My Name is Khan
, A Muslim Indian with Asperger Syndrome deals with Life, Love and 9/11 in his own way....

Sybil {Sally Field}..Very in-depth about a woman coping with child abuse by "splintering" into many personalities...

I also indulged in 2 other films since I feel the need to pamper Myself, besides chicken soup....

Belle Epoque {penelope Cruz}, a Wandering Agnostic guy meets with a devil-may-care old guy, and falls for each of his daughters, each one proving to be a handful in their own way....
{one of the daughters was raised as a Son}

Tortilla Soup {Hector Elizondo, Elizabeth Peña, Raquel Welch}.. a Mexican-American version of the Chinese "Eat Drink Man Woman"..a Gentleman wants the best for his 3 "modern" daughters, and they want him to be happy as well in his hectic restaurateur world...A few funny misunderstandings occur, but in the end things work out....

[While I loved 7 years in Tibet, I prefer "Kundun"]

EnderD_503
10-10-2010, 08:56 PM
Tonight I watched Sophie Scholl. Very good Bavarian/German film on Sophie and her brother Hans' last days before their execution. I highly recommend it.

Rook
10-10-2010, 09:33 PM
btw...
I forgot to add this little part...
My favorite moment in "Karate Kid" was when Jackie Chan kills the fly....not quite like Pat Morita..And yes, Jaden's character was right ..."Ok ..that's just...Gross"
I had a flashback to "The Golden Child" when Eddie Murphy gripes about the lil ole chinese guy pickin his nose

Gemme
10-10-2010, 09:56 PM
I saw

The Karate Kid {Jaden Smith / Jackie Chan}, Some parts gave a "nod" to the original, but it was very well-done..some parts kinda stretched credibility, but then, thats the beauty of Films...Although, the main difference between the 2 movies is "Dre" isn't learning karate but rather Wushu/Gungfu

btw...
I forgot to add this little part...
My favorite moment in "Karate Kid" was when Jackie Chan kills the fly....not quite like Pat Morita..And yes, Jaden's character was right ..."Ok ..that's just...Gross"
I had a flashback to "The Golden Child" when Eddie Murphy gripes about the lil ole chinese guy pickin his nose

I forgot to mention I saw this too. I also enjoyed the fly scene and appreciated the attempts to modernize the movie. I was stuck on one thing though. They never said WHY they moved to China. That bugged me a bit, cuz I like as much back story as possible.

Semantics
10-10-2010, 10:01 PM
The Social Network.

I liked it. Jesse Eisenberg was excellent in this movie.

Rook
10-10-2010, 10:39 PM
I agree..
My guess is the Mother is fresh Divorced *or Widow*, has a Job opportunity in her Field, in China {which is credible, considering how nowadays, despite China's politics, business savvy people tend to migrate there, including americans}, based on the fact she's a single parent & she tells Dre "We have nothing over there, this is Home".
In the original, it was kind of the same...
But, yeah, back story is preferable for me...
I dont like "assuming", thats not my job..My contribution is paying to enjoy the Film..

Currently Watching "Down in The Delta" {Alfre Woodard, Wesley Snipes}
Elderly Matriarch takes her grandkids and alcoholic/drug addicted Daughter back to the Family home in the Delta, as a last resort to save her daughter, and teach the grandkids Value of Family while learning about their Ancestral history...

Gemme
10-10-2010, 11:17 PM
I knew she was a widow, since the doorway where Dre was measured had an entry "Dad died". I figured something along the lines of a job opportunity too, but I like to hear it from the makers of the movie. :)

Greyson
10-15-2010, 03:37 PM
I found this to be interesting. I have never worked in nor studied Film. If I knew what I know now, I may have chosen a career in Film behind the camera. USC was the Film School to attend when I was growing up.
__________________________________________________ _______________

Tarantino's Gal

An appreciation of film editor Sally Menke

By Sasha Watson

Posted Wednesday, Oct. 13, 2010, at 10:24 AM ET

In a scene from Inglourious Basterds that vibrates with tension, Col. Hans Landa, the Nazi played by Oscar winner Christoph Waltz, toys with Mélanie Laurent's Shosanna Dreyfus. He's forcing her to eat apple strudel with him in a Paris restaurant, suggesting but never saying outright that he knows who she is: the Jewish girl who escaped his massacre of her family at a dairy farm. It's a key moment in the film, and it signals the beginning of the girl's plot to kill Hitler.

The scene works because of the tight focus on seemingly mundane details—the way a cigarette is offered, an eyebrow raised, a dollop of cream served. Film editor Sally Menke, who died earlier this month, discusses her work on the film in Invisible Art/Visible Artists, a documentary made annually by Allan Holzman to celebrate Oscar-nominated editors: "Does he know that it's Shosanna?" asks Menke. "Does he offer her the drink of milk, does he control the cream knowing that she was the last person at the dairy farm? It's an unanswered question and we wanted to leave it unanswered, and so hence the close-ups and hence the controlling of the cigarettes." The scene ends just after Landa has kissed Shosanna's hand and walked away, leaving her gasping at the table. "She goes into just a huge well of tears at the end of the scene," says Menke, "and we cut it short because we only wanted her to just release the breath because she had to remain a fountain of strength because she was going to plan the death of Hitler."

Watching her speak, it's clear that Menke was easily as invested as Tarantino in the Oscar-nominated film and that her contribution was essential to the film's success. For many of us, used to thinking of a film as the creation of an auteur-director, it comes as a surprise to learn just how much creative control editors have. They're often the only ones to see every minute of footage shot for a film. Out of that mass of footage, they pick shots, lines of dialogue, and character-revealing expressions, telling the story visually by sequencing the events of the film. As Holzman says, "The director shoots and then the editor makes a movie out of it." Tarantino has repeatedly said as much, calling the woman who edited every one of his films his "No. 1 collaborator." After all, when Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction first came out, a huge part of their appeal was the thrilling way they jumped between characters and times. And yet, until her death, Menke's name was little-known outside of industry circles.

The long-term partnership between a director and an editor can resemble a traditional marriage, with the director the public face of the couple and the editor acting as the classic woman-behind-the-man, honing the vision and crafting the persona that he presents to the world. And in fact, more women tend to work as editors than in other Hollywood fields. And many of the qualities associated with a good editor could be construed as traditionally female—at least for females of a certain age. Like some marriages, the relationships seem anachronistic, or maybe just harmonious, depending who you ask.

"That's my gal," someone who worked with Tarantino recalls him saying about Menke. In a 2004 documentary, The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing, Tarantino says that he was specifically looking for a female editor, one who would "nurture" him through his movies. Menke embraced the role, and its lack of wider recognition, too. In The Guardian last year, she wrote, "Editors are the quiet heroes of movies, and I like it that way."

Some editors do seem frustrated by the extent to which their work goes unrecognized by viewers, but they usually accept it as an occupational hazard. "It's hard to tell what's well-edited," says Lillian Benson, a documentary editor who serves on the board of American Cinema Editors, or ACE, "because the job is not to call attention to yourself." Holzman, meanwhile, wryly says that "editors are meant to be heard but not seen." The public face of a film, after all, is the director's, and directors are often given—and take—credit for work that's done in the editing room. Tarantino's frequent and enthusiastic tributes to Menke's editing have always been the exception to the rule.

Hollywood is still largely dominated by men, as was endlessly pointed out when Kathryn Bigelow was the first woman to win the Oscar for best director last spring, but according to the Celluloid Ceiling, an annual study that crunches the numbers of female vs. male representation in the 250 top-grossing films of the year, 17 percent of editors in 2009 were women. That's in contrast to 7 percent of directors and just 2 percent of cinematographers, numbers that don't go up or down very much over time.

When editors, female or male, talk about what they do, they inevitably say that they need to be good listeners, to be sensitive to other people's needs, to bring out the best in others, and to find workable compromises. In her recent article "The End of Men," Double X editor Hanna Rosin points to "social intelligence, open communication, the ability to sit still and focus" as qualities traditionally associated with women. And maybe this answers the puzzle of why there are so many more female editors in Hollywood than there are directors, cinematographers, or screenwriters.

The under-sung history of editing is filled with women's names, unlike that of directing and cinematography. "Women were thought to be good editors because they had small hands, and it was also thought that editing was a little bit like sewing," says Martha Lauzen, who runs the Center for the Study of Women in Film and Television at San Diego State University, where the Celluloid Ceiling study is done. "It was considered something women could do because you were stitching pieces together," adds Anita Brandt Burgoyne, who edited Legally Blonde and Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen, among many other films. "It was a little like housework."

The idea of editing as a menial task changed over the years, but women remained in its top ranks. Dede Allen, who died last year at the age of 86, revolutionized editing in 1967 with Bonnie and Clyde. She and director Arthur Penn introduced the fast cuts that freed editing from the literal expression of time and space, and that have come to dominate movies, commercials, and music videos. Thelma Schoonmaker, meanwhile, has edited most of Martin Scorsese's films*; and George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, and Peter Bogdanovich all worked with the late Verna Fields, their "mother cutter," who in 1975 received both an Oscar and an ACE Eddie award for her work on Jaws. McCormick says that the membership of ACE, an honorary society, tends to be about one-third female.

According to Debra Neil-Fisher, who won the Eddie Award for best edited comedy or musical feature film for The Hangover last year, there's no mystery as to why lots of women are editors: "I'd say that the role of the editor is good for females because we have the ability to give creatively without too much ego attached." Dede Allen said pretty much the same thing in an interview back in the early '90s: "Women of my generation are more used to serving someone else creatively, and not feeling maligned by it as much. It must be very hard for certain men in terms of an ego or a macho thing, when they are constantly having to redo something they feel very strongly about."

It's dicey to criticize a relationship that both parties agree works for them—however unbalanced it may look from the outside—but, really, shouldn't editors be getting a lot more credit here? Maybe they choose their careers, in part, because they'd rather labor alone in a cutting room than act as the public face of a film, and maybe the role of silent hero simply suits many of them, but Tarantino has been right to point out and celebrate Menke's work over the years. After all, without her sharp eye in the editing room, Tarantino's movies, and even his career, would have looked very different than they do today.

Correction, Oct. 14, 2010: This article mistakenly claimed that Thelma Schoonmaker has edited all of Martin Scorsese's films. In fact, she has not edited all of his films. (Return to the corrected sentence.)

Sasha Watson has written about books, art, and travel for the Los Angeles Times, ARTnews, and the Daily Beast. She is the author of the young adult novel Vidalia in Paris.

Article URL: http://www.slate.com/id/2270808/

Gemme
10-15-2010, 05:54 PM
I saw How to Train Your Dragon and both Organic and I loved it. Very sweet movie. :thumbsup:

Jet
10-18-2010, 04:45 PM
I'm watching Salt tonight..I'll let you know what I think.
Saw half of Invictus last night. Really boring so I wont return.

Oiler41
10-18-2010, 06:39 PM
We had a date night Saturday and went to see The Social Network. I don't know exactly how accurate it was, but overall it was a pretty good movie. And of course, with it being date night, it could have been a bad movie seen with the best of company! ;)

Glynn

Gemme
10-18-2010, 08:11 PM
We saw Spread tonight with Ashton Kutcher. Eh, I'm not in love with it but I liked the player getting played thing going on in it.

Jet
10-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Been catching directors who are Masters of Horror. Some of those flicks I can't watch. The first time I saw Chainsaw Massacre in high school, I left the theatre after about 20 minutes and sat in the lobby. Scared the hell out of me. What I think is interesting is the scope of Wes Craven who's right up there with Tobe Hooper with a long list of hor-n-gore classics. Talented guy. A Master of Horror but had the talent to completely flip genres to direct something like Music of The Heart with Meryl Streep. Warm movie about a violin teacher who teaches inner city kids.

Gemme
10-21-2010, 07:12 PM
We saw Jonah Hex (I think that's what it's called...maybe just Hex) and were not impressed. I liked the idea of the storyline but the movie felt slow and Megan Fox didn't fit her character as a Western prostitute.

Gemme
10-31-2010, 04:38 PM
Red was AWESOME!!!!!!!!

You can't go wrong with Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, Morgan Freeman, Richard Dreyfuss, Mary Louise Parker and John Malkovich.

Oh, and Ernest Borgnine!

rMCh4etBbkU

Jet
10-31-2010, 04:44 PM
Its been a week of old horror movies. Peter Cushing, Vincent Price...
Last night, i watched the 1958 version of The Fly

Arwen
10-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Red was AWESOME!!!!!!!!

You can't go wrong with Bruce Willis, Helen Mirren, Morgan Freeman, Richard Dreyfuss, Mary Louise Parker and John Malkovich.

Oh, and Ernest Borgnine!

rMCh4etBbkU

Oh yeah! I'd do this one again. And you and OrganicButch. :|

Gemme
10-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Oh yeah! I'd do this one again. And you and OrganicButch. :|

Yaaaaaaaaaay!

Wait.

What?

:|

Jess
11-01-2010, 09:22 AM
Watched a very interesting film called Winter's Bones. Painful yet gripping slice of life movie, well worth the watch. It was a low budget film that used a lot of local actors and won 2010 Sundance Grand Jury award.

Definitely one of those you feel the need to watch again.

YouTube - WINTER'S BONE - Official US Theatrical Trailer in HD

Kenna
11-01-2010, 10:59 AM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_pHwy5WAlxi4/SpuR4RM1wGI/AAAAAAAAFbM/ooEOXRHHwLU/s400/The+Legend+of+1900+(1999).jpg

I HIGHLY recommend this movie!! This has got to be my most favorite.... a very fascinating, intriguing, interesting, MUST WATCH AGAIN story line. Our whole family, each with very different tastes in movies, were very enthralled through the entire showing with "Max" (Pruitt Taylor Vince) as the story teller and awesome, creative Jazz music.

Jess
11-01-2010, 11:43 AM
My perfection picked up Sex in the City 2 this weekend, as I was remiss in catching its release date ( I'll have you know I was at the video store waiting in the parking lot when the first one came out, just for her!! )...

She watched it, but will watch it again with me so I can see it too. I won't watch it until she comes home. She loves those girls and i love watching her love them :cheer: Plus, Kim Catrell is smokin!

Anyone else "Sex" fans? heh...

LipstickLola
11-05-2010, 11:14 PM
I just saw the movie, Red, with Helen Miren, Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, Mary-Louise Parker and Richard Dreyfuss. It was somewhat entertaining, predictable (I'm difficult to entertain?), the usual Bruce Willis shoot-em up, murder/mayhem type plot. I use the term "plot" loosely. :o
I'd give it a C -, LOL

Gemme
11-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Toy Story 3, fresh out on video/rental/etc, met our expectations. Great voices and the characters didn't lose their charm.

Jet
11-06-2010, 07:35 PM
Unstoppable
Denzel's latest out Nov. 12

Inspired by actual events, "Unstoppable" is an adrenaline rush fueled by director Tony Scott's signature mark of propulsive action rooted in the reality of ordinary people placed in extraordinary circumstances.

A veteran train engineer (Denzel Washington) and a young conductor (Chris Pine) race the clock to stop an unmanned runaway train – effectively a missile the size of a skyscraper -- and prevent disaster in a heavily populated area.

JM-0Ywc7wNY

I think Denzel is stuck on trains these days. Second train movie after the remake of The Taking of Pelham 123. Pretty good movie by the way aside from filthy language. Travolta is a No.1 maniac prick.

Jet
11-06-2010, 07:44 PM
Friday, November 5
Due Date Robert Downey, Jr. / Zach Galifianakis
Megamind Will Ferrell / Tina Fey
For Colored Girls Janet Jackson / Loretta Devine
Fair Game (2010) Naomi Watts / Sean Penn
Red Hill Ryan Kwanten / Steve Bisley
127 Hours James Franco / Amber Tamblyn

Wednesday, November 10
Morning Glory (2010) Harrison Ford / Rachel McAdams

Friday, November 12
Unstoppable (2010) Denzel Washington / Chris Pine (see post above)
Skyline (2010) Eric Balfour / David Zayas

Friday, November 19
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I Daniel Radcliffe / Rupert Grint
The Next Three Days Russell Crowe / Elizabeth Banks

Wednesday, November 24
Tangled (2010) Mandy Moore / Zachary Levi
Burlesque (2010) Christina Aguilera / Cher
Love and Other Drugs Anne Hathaway / Jake Gyllenhaal
Faster (2010) Dwayne Johnson / Billy Bob Thornton

Friday, November 26
Red Dawn (2010) Chris Hemsworth / Josh Peck
The King's Speech Colin Firth / Geoffrey Rush

Jet
11-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Daniel Day-Lewis Will Be Steven Spielberg's Abraham Lincoln

Tim Grierson, Yahoo Movies

For what seems like forever, director Steven Spielberg has talked about wanting to do a biopic on Abraham Lincoln from a script by "Angels in America" playwright Tony Kushner. But for the past decade, Spielberg has instead focused on other projects while Liam Neeson remained committed to playing our 16th president. When Neeson announced this summer that he was finally leaving the project, that seemed to be the end of it ever happening, but now the film is very much back on track: Daniel Day-Lewis is going to play Lincoln.

While Neeson would have a made a great Lincoln, we think Day-Lewis is just about a perfect choice: He has just the right amount of humanity, gravitas and charisma to play the most admired and worshipped (and therefore scrutinized) of all presidents. It's a major role in a major film by a major filmmaker, which means that audience expectations will be set ridiculously high, so you want someone who's got the chops to pull it off. He proved himself in Oscar-winning roles in "My Left Foot" and "There Will Be Blood," picking up additional Oscar nominations for his work in films including "In the Name of the Father" and "Gangs of New York." And after the debacle of "Nine," Day-Lewis needs to return to the type of full-bodied character portrayals he's known for, like "There Will Be Blood." This Lincoln project should do just that for the notoriously reclusive actor who has been known to go into seclusion for years following a film (he took off four full years after "My Left Foot").

The film, based on Doris Kearns Goodwin's "Team of Rivals" biography about Lincoln's battles with his White House Cabinet during the Civil War between 1861-1865, profiles the clashes brought about by the nation's turmoil. The Wrap reports that Spielberg will be shooting the film in the fall of next year. In other words, Spielberg will start the Lincoln project just before his next two movies will be coming out: the World War I drama "War Horse" and "The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the Unicorn."

There had been some thought his next assignment after those two would be the apocalyptic sci-fi film "Robopocalypse", but it appears Spielberg will now be focusing on 19th century history before he turns his attention to the dystopian future. And now he's got arguably the best actor on the planet by his side to make this long-awaited film finally happen.

scootebaby
11-20-2010, 02:07 PM
recently saw SAW the final chapter and Due Date....both were ok..*warning perhaps a spoiler* Due Dates had its funny moments,but 99% of those are seen in the trailer...Saw was ok was to the point,no build up as b4-or as much--but definitely gory-more so than the others---which suits me fine!

want to see Unstoppable,Harry Potter,Skyline,and there are a couple i saw trailers for but cant remember the names

Zimmeh
11-20-2010, 02:13 PM
I took my oldest niece and nephew and my four year old niece to see the new Karate Kid movie over the summer and truly enjoyed it.

The one movie that I would like to see is the new Harry Potter movie. I am also looking forward to the new season of Law & Order SVU coming out on NetFlix.

AtLast
11-20-2010, 02:23 PM
I don't see many main-stream movies any more, like independent/foreign films. And love old movies. But, I have found this thread to be a really good place to find out about ones I should take a look at. Always interested in "sleepers." I do want to see "Fair Game" when it gets to my local theater. Look forward to what you all have to say about it.

I will probably skip the US made "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo." Just can't wrap my head around a US re-make of this being very good. Who knows.

Thanks!

EnderD_503
11-25-2010, 08:02 AM
I finally got my hands on the movie Soldier's Girl, have to say that I'm really glad I did. I think it's probably the best transgender movie I've seen, particularly one based on a true story. While it dealt with the discrimination Calpernia and Barry faced leading up to Barry's death, the film's creators themselves didn't negatively portray either character (while also showing the problems and insecurities of the aggressors as well). On top of that I couldn't see any attempt to strip Calpernia's identity as an MtF away from her/put her womanhood into question in the end, which is definitely a great change. That's one of the things that really irked me about the way Boys Don't Cry was written.

If you haven't seen it, I definitely recommend it.

Jet
12-02-2010, 09:29 PM
December 2010 Releases

Friday, December 3

Night Catches Us Anthony Mackie / Kerry Washington
Black Swan (2010) Natalie Portman / Mila Kunis
I Love You Phillip Morris Jim Carrey / Ewan McGregor
The Warrior's Way (2010) Jang Dong-gun / Geoffrey Rush

Friday, December 10

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader Ben Barnes / Georgie Henley
The Fighter (2010) Mark Wahlberg / Christian Bale
The Tourist (2010) Angelina Jolie / Johnny Depp
The Tempest (2010) Helen Mirren / Djimon Hounsou

Friday, December 17

TRON: Legacy Garrett Hedlund / Jeff Bridges
Yogi Bear (2010) Anna Faris / Dan Aykroyd
How Do You Know Reese Witherspoon / Owen Wilson

Wednesday, December 22

Little Fockers Robert De Niro / Ben Stiller
Somewhere (2010) Stephen Dorff / Elle Fanning
Gulliver's Travels (2010) Jack Black / Emily Blunt
Country Strong Gwyneth Paltrow / Tim McGraw

Saturday, December 25

The Illusionist (2010)

Wednesday, December 29

Another Year David Bradley / Jim Broadbent

Friday, December 31

Blue Valentine Ryan Gosling / Michelle Williams

Friday, March 25

Miral (2010) Willem Dafoe / Freida Pinto

Jet
12-02-2010, 09:31 PM
December 2010 Releases

Friday, December 3

Night Catches Us Anthony Mackie / Kerry Washington
Black Swan (2010) Natalie Portman / Mila Kunis
I Love You Phillip Morris Jim Carrey / Ewan McGregor
The Warrior's Way (2010) Jang Dong-gun / Geoffrey Rush

Friday, December 10

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader Ben Barnes / Georgie Henley
The Fighter (2010) Mark Wahlberg / Christian Bale
The Tourist (2010) Angelina Jolie / Johnny Depp
The Tempest (2010) Helen Mirren / Djimon Hounsou

Friday, December 17

TRON: Legacy Garrett Hedlund / Jeff Bridges
Yogi Bear (2010) Anna Faris / Dan Aykroyd
How Do You Know Reese Witherspoon / Owen Wilson

Wednesday, December 22

Little Fockers Robert De Niro / Ben Stiller
Somewhere (2010) Stephen Dorff / Elle Fanning
Gulliver's Travels (2010) Jack Black / Emily Blunt
Country Strong Gwyneth Paltrow / Tim McGraw

Saturday, December 25

The Illusionist (2010)

Wednesday, December 29

Another Year David Bradley / Jim Broadbent

Friday, December 31

Blue Valentine Ryan Gosling / Michelle Williams

Gemme
12-02-2010, 09:35 PM
I finally got Organic to watch The Last Airbender with me. Fantastic! We're going to the theatre to see the sequel(s)!

StillettoDoll
12-12-2010, 08:32 PM
Went to see Black Swan, not sure if I liked it or not.:blink:

torchiegirl
12-12-2010, 08:40 PM
THOR

*squeal*

this could have possibly been posted in the guilty pleasures thread *b

Gemme
12-13-2010, 01:10 AM
We saw When in Rome, The Expendables, and Tangled and we have Shrek 4 lined up and ready to go probably tomorrow. Tangled was excellent, if not a bit predictable, When in Rome was sweet, and The Expendables was like a dirty, gritty, low(er) budget Reds (not bad, just darker).

daisygrrl
12-14-2010, 05:33 PM
So, about five years after reading Steve Martin's Shopgirl, I got around to the film version (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338427/).

I really enjoyed the novella--what's not to love about Martin, anyhow? But, I was scared, especially when I read several negative reviews, that the film would disappoint me. My verdict: yes, the novella is better, but the film does capture the overall sense of the literary piece. I think the novella wins because of its density--the source being the narrator's voice, which only seldom surfaces in the film. (Oh yeah, one of the criticisms was that Martin's narrative voice compromised his character's portrayal. I disagree; in fact more of those interjections--in a play, perhaps--would be advantageous).

Gemme
12-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Shrek 4 was adorable, as expected!

Gemme
12-25-2010, 12:42 AM
We watched Easy A tonight. Fantastic! I loved nearly everything about this movie and thought some of the themes were very relevant to today's issues. It reminded me a tad of 10 Things I Hate About You, which I also loved.

pajama
12-25-2010, 12:48 AM
We watched The Other Guys and Scott Pilgrim vs The World.

The Other Guys was okay. There were some really funny lines, but overall only mediocre.

Scott Pilgrim, however, ROCKED. We loved it. (We being me and a 15 y/o boy, so take that for what it's worth.) It was cool the way it would cut back and forth between people and video gaming. I also love the guy that was Scott Pilgrim, he was the guy in Juno. And then his roommate was McCauley Caulkins little brother. So handsome, not at all like his brother.

Oh and I saw The Tourist the other day. It was really good too. And Angelina Jolie looked better than I've seen her look since Tomb Raider.

A

Gemme
12-25-2010, 01:08 AM
We watched The Other Guys and Scott Pilgrim vs The World.

The Other Guys was okay. There were some really funny lines, but overall only mediocre.

Scott Pilgrim, however, ROCKED. We loved it. (We being me and a 15 y/o boy, so take that for what it's worth.) It was cool the way it would cut back and forth between people and video gaming. I also love the guy that was Scott Pilgrim, he was the guy in Juno. And then his roommate was McCauley Caulkins little brother. So handsome, not at all like his brother.

Oh and I saw The Tourist the other day. It was really good too. And Angelina Jolie looked better than I've seen her look since Tomb Raider.

A

Did you see Salt? Jolie looked good there, I thought. Organic had not seen Gone in 60 Seconds, so we watched that last night. I enjoyed her in that role, though it was smaller.

We LOVED Scott Pilgrim vs. The World!!!! We saw it a while back and both of us enjoyed it quite a bit. I loved the graphic comic book styling and pretty much everything else too. *grin*

StillettoDoll
12-26-2010, 06:11 PM
Went to see the new Harry Potter movie :popcorn:

Invictus
12-26-2010, 06:57 PM
The King's Speech

waxnrope
12-26-2010, 07:22 PM
Went to see Black Swan, not sure if I liked it or not.:blink:

Yes. It was an excellent film, but strange. The Black Swan has stayed with me since I saw it opening nite. Seeing hallucinations through another's eyes. Experiencing them as if they were one's own. Superb acting.

StillettoDoll
12-26-2010, 07:46 PM
The King's Speech
Yes going to see this next week.

Gemme
12-26-2010, 09:09 PM
An oldie but goodie and mandatory for our Christmas night viewing:

p1P_giB0TKg

Mitmo01
12-27-2010, 04:15 PM
R5BsYRmMfus
pTrz8cKBP6M
I can't wait to see this movie...jackie weaver looks poised to get an oscar nomination for role...plus the movie looks hella interesting....

Soft*Silver
12-27-2010, 04:42 PM
my daughter and sister are taking me to see Black Swan tomorrow. I cant wait! So its one of "those" movies that leave you stunned afterwards? GREAT!

MysticOceansFL
12-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Would like to go see Tron and True Grit!

Wryly
12-27-2010, 05:05 PM
I want to see True Grit and The King's Speech.

waxnrope
12-27-2010, 05:09 PM
I want to see True Grit and The King's Speech.

These are on my list. I'll see The King's Speech on Wednesday.
This is the best time for movies. Late in the year, most of the Academy Award hopeful are released.:trampoline:

MysticOceansFL
12-27-2010, 05:15 PM
I've heard that the King's Speech was a great movie!

Jess
12-27-2010, 05:15 PM
We watched SALT and The Town last night. Both quite good and I was impressed with Affleck as a director.

Two on the upcoming must see list True Grit and Hereafter!

Leigh
12-27-2010, 06:26 PM
I really wanna see Yogi Bear, The Tourist, Tangled

Mister Bent
01-01-2011, 02:27 PM
Going to see True Grit today. The original is one of my favorite movies, I even tried calling my mare Little Blackie. She ignored me.

waxnrope
01-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Going to try again to see The King's Speech today. It was sold out Wednesday. Running off to get tix ahead of time.
Tomorrow, I'm hoping to see True Grit.

Kobi
01-01-2011, 04:55 PM
I loved the new Shrek simply for the Fiona as an Amazon warrior woman. It held my interest.

I also loved Collapse....a documentary on the teachings of Michael Ruppert who's view of the future of human civilization parallels my thinking.

Enchantress
01-01-2011, 05:58 PM
I recently watched "Happy Accidents" on Netflix.

A sweet and somewhat touching movie,
starring Marisa Tomei and Vincent D'Onofrio.

A definite recommend!

Gemme
01-01-2011, 10:51 PM
Christmas with the Cranks with Tim Allen and Jamie Lee Curtis. Well, we love both of them and JLC's character was spastically amusing, but I didn't love the movie. It was okay.

I'mOneToo
01-03-2011, 01:34 AM
saw "The Fighter" and expected it to be ... hm, not sure, but it exceeded those non expectations. I love Mark Wahlberg in just about any movie (except maybe The Perfect Storm cuz I can only watch Clooney for about five minutes). But Christian Bale really stole the show, so did Melissa Leo playing their mom. They both out-starred Mark.

waxnrope
01-03-2011, 10:41 AM
OMG! The King's Speech ... best film I've seen in a couple of years and I've seen quite a number. I can see nominations for best actor, supporting actor and actress, script, direction ... superb! Two thumbs and two big toes up!

True Grit was really good. Another possible best actor contender.

Thanks Mr. Bent for reminding me ... otherwise, I'd be accused of a drive by post from my earlier comment :rofl:

Arwen
01-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Thanks to waxnrope I want to see The King's Speech ASAP. Saw the new Narnia yesterday with Eshe. It didn't let me down. Ending was beautifully done. SOB

suebee
01-03-2011, 10:52 AM
Saw "Inception" lately. Loved it! Now I need to rent it again so I can catch all the parts I missed the first time!

Gemme
01-03-2011, 03:10 PM
Saw "Inception" lately. Loved it! Now I need to rent it again so I can catch all the parts I missed the first time!

I love/hate that they left it open to interpretation at the end. I prefer my endings more finite, but it was very well done, I must admit.

Thanks to waxnrope I want to see The King's Speech ASAP. Saw the new Narnia yesterday with Ebon. It didn't let me down. Ending was beautifully done. SOB

You buggers!!! That's okay. I'm going to make Ebon go with me to see Narnia soon. That'll teach him to see stuff I told him I wanted to see too.

:weightlifter:

lipstixgal
01-03-2011, 03:38 PM
I want to see the Little Flockers with Ben Stiller he's hilarious..

Blade
01-08-2011, 08:31 PM
just watched "Second Hand Lions" good wholesome movie

Gemme
01-08-2011, 08:39 PM
just watched "Second Hand Lions" good wholesome movie

I saw that a few years ago! Good movie.

StillettoDoll
01-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Today we saw The Kings Speech it was quite lovely.
I think this movie will be getting lots of awards.
:king:

Laerkin
01-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Blue Valentine.

A tiny independent film with painfully raw performances by both lead actors. Gritty, real, charming.

Arwen
01-09-2011, 08:40 PM
Today we saw The Kings Speech it was quite lovely.
I think this movie will be getting lots of awards.
:king:

Waxnrope told me about that one! On my list.

Kobi
01-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Triage with Colin Farrell. I don't usually like war/post traumatic stress movies but this one will tug at you.

Joan Rivers - A Piece of Work - very interesting look at the person behind the persona.

foxyshaman
01-10-2011, 01:10 PM
The Black Swan - LOVED IT. It was a great psycho drama. The Descent into Madness could be a secondary title.

Kobi
01-15-2011, 03:06 AM
"Inception" - I didnt care for it. Long, drawn out, convoluted.

"Mother and Child" - Annette Benning - beautiful story, very touching.

EnderD_503
01-16-2011, 08:03 PM
The Tourist Really liked it and recommend it. Both funny and exciting for those who like action movies, though not all that tough to figure out.

Red Riding - 1974 I want those 2 hours of my life back...horrible, horrible movie, not at all what I expected and definitely don't recommend it. On top of that the audio was shit and didn't even catch the three word explanation at the end on why the young schoolgirls were murdered anyway.

Case 39 Pretty decent. Not amazing or anything, and definitely not a unique idea, but still a fun watch. The thing with horror flicks and me is that I find when they're supernatural in nature they kind of lose their effect. A similar concept in a movie like The Orphan with a slightly more realistic plot makes the film a bit more suspenseful, imo. The movie started off pretty promising, but the whole possessed little kid thing is overdone (not a spoiler since you find out pretty fast).

Hack
01-16-2011, 08:33 PM
I'm so behind in movies, and just watch them on DVD or Blu-Ray these days. Here's some I have seen lately:

1. Inception. One word: amazing.
2. The Town. Great take on the usual action-y film. Loved that the FBI guy actually was a bad ass too.
3. Wall Street - Money Never Sleeps. Blah.
4. Prodigal Sons This is on Netflix, and it's a great documentary.
5. The Kids Are Alright. Both Julianne Moore and Annette Bening are amazing.
6. Howl. A strange little study on censorship and Allen Ginsburg.
7. Salt. Great concept poorly executed.
8. The American. Ok, in the minority on this one, but I actually liked this movie and the themes of redemption. It is an American film that looks and feels like a European one. The director is a photographer, and his shot choices show it.

StillettoDoll
01-16-2011, 08:45 PM
Went to see The Fighter, this is a great movie. Lot of memorable lines.
Loved it.
Hope it wins lots of awards.

Laerkin
01-16-2011, 08:47 PM
This weekend I saw:

The King's Speech - easily one of the best films I've ever seen
I Am Love (Italian) - stunning and rare
Rabbit Hole - raw, powerful, understated, beautiful
True Grit - funny, smart, Jeff Bridges is amazing

kannon
01-16-2011, 09:00 PM
This weekend I saw:

The King's Speech - easily one of the best films I've ever seen
I Am Love (Italian) - stunning and rare
Rabbit Hole - raw, powerful, understated, beautiful
True Grit - funny, smart, Jeff Bridges is amazing

Jeff Bridges was a captivating Rooster Cogburn.

EnderD_503
02-06-2011, 07:45 PM
Recently saw:

Good German/Hungarian/British collaboration starring Viggo Mortensen where he plays a professor in literature shortly after Hitler came to power. The movie revolves around John Halder (the lit. prof and main character) and his Jewish friend Maurice, the progression of National Socialist Germany and each man's fate as a result.

The Secret In Their Eyes (El secreto de sus ojos) - an Argentine film about an agent named Benjamin Esposito. The movie revolves around the rape and murder of a young woman in the early days of Esposito's career. Once retired he decides to write a novel about the case which leads to some shocking revelations.

Overall both were extremely powerful films and I would highly recommend them.

daisygrrl
03-16-2011, 05:09 PM
FYI: for those who love films and are Amazon Prime Members, the site recently introduced a way to watch approximately 5000 films--for free. The link appears on the front page of the site, on the left column. Maybe this is ole news, but it's new to me :jester:

I just finished watching Show Me Love (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0150662/), which was quite wonderful (overall). The first twenty minutes were a bit dull, but the last hour and some odd minutes were lovely. I think it captured the essence of teenage life (in both dialogue and cinematography) of two lesbian girls. One other note: the film is Swedish, but English subtitles are provided. All-in-all, this film is a worthwhile investment of time :)

Jess
03-16-2011, 05:12 PM
Odd question maybe, but anyone have a clue as to where I can find Track 29? An older film with Gary Oldman ( it may have been his first) and I belive Debra Winger. Have wanted to see it again and can't find it anywhere.

Thanks!

daisygrrl
03-16-2011, 05:19 PM
Odd question maybe, but anyone have a clue as to where I can find Track 29? An older film with Gary Oldman ( it may have been his first) and I belive Debra Winger. Have wanted to see it again and can't find it anywhere.

Thanks!

Well, there are a few VHS versions available via Amazon here. To be honest, if you want a DVD version, converters are fairly reasonable now--which is why bootleggers are generally selling both DVD and VHS. Otherwise, it's a waiting game to see if the production companies think it's a worthy investment to put it out on dvd...

BTW: I love Old Gary Oldman films--like Sid and Nancy ;)

pajama
03-16-2011, 05:51 PM

Thanks!

I love Gary Oldman so I had to go look this up. Holy WOW! I don't think I would have recognized him that young. Thanks for letting me know about it, will see where I can find it to watch it. Looks interesting.

EnderD_503
03-16-2011, 06:25 PM
Recently saw:

The Next Three Days with Russel Crowe. Pretty decent film, but some problems with it.

I found the beginning was kind of abrupt. I found it odd that it didn't show a trial at all following his wife's arrest, which is too bad because her conviction seemed far fetched. In a way it followed a Prison Break kind of idea, but didn't quite pull it off as well as the show did. The end was as abrupt and questionable as the beginning. Kind of pulled off the whole thing to smoothly. Decent action film, but hard to believe...and not the in the awesome Jason Bourne/James Bond kinda way lol

The Fighter - Another decent film, but nothing spectacular. The theme's been overdone in general since Rocky, even if this one (and some others preceding it) was semi-biographical. They also portrayed Micky's career kind of weird, imo, like they were really trying to turn it into a Rocky Balboa motif which didn't actually fit Micky's career/the fights they showed in the film.

In some ways it also reminds me of The Wrestler a few years ago (even though that one wasn't semi-biographical) in the way it played, the themes and even in it's reception. Don't know why either one got so much attention. Give me something like Ong-Bak or Rocky instead, anyday :D

StillettoDoll
05-30-2011, 04:22 PM
This weekend we went to see two movies , Bridesmaids and Thor

http://images-partners-tbn.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT7a3BIEGs4XJ2M2gNr1gUif1_7QlkUc BYBjfqSl0h9wq3Q0W_jwb8sBb8:4.bp.blogspot.com/_z25QU9ET_Rg/TUdcjRixyDI/AAAAAAAAABA/hWWqkQgjAPI/s1600/bridesmaids%252Bposter.jpg (http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetails?s_it=imageDetails&q=bridesmaid+movie&img=http%3A%2F%2F4.bp.blogspot.com%2F_z25QU9ET_Rg% 2FTUdcjRixyDI%2FAAAAAAAAABA%2FhWWqkQgjAPI%2Fs1600% 2Fbridesmaids%252Bposter.jpg&v_t=keyword_rollover&host=http%3A%2F%2Fbridesmaids.the-movie-trailer.com%2F&width=96&height=142&thumbUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fimages-partners-tbn.google.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcT7a3BIEG s4XJ2M2gNr1gUif1_7QlkUcBYBjfqSl0h9wq3Q0W_jwb8sBb8% 3A4.bp.blogspot.com%2F_z25QU9ET_Rg%2FTUdcjRixyDI%2 FAAAAAAAAABA%2FhWWqkQgjAPI%2Fs1600%2Fbridesmaids%2 5252Bposter.jpg&b=image%3Fs_it%3Dtopsearchbox.image%26v_t%3Dkeywor d_rollover%26imgsz%3D%26imgtype%3D%26imgc%3D%26q%3 Dbridesmaid%2Bmovie%26oreq%3D33a72e62e435435094122 6a971c4172e&imgHeight=755&imgWidth=509&imgTitle=Posted+by+Bridesmaids+Movie+at&imgSize=91147&hostName=bridesmaids.the-movie-trailer.com)http://images-partners-tbn.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRotm76pGkY63Se1J7pONnad3IjQMPZ7 y-SgxFrB5yoepkQT7eZd1ZXBs2v:www.shockya.com/news/wp-content/uploads/thor_courage_is_immortal_poster.jpg (http://search.aol.com/aol/imageDetails?s_it=imageDetails&q=thor+the+movie&img=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shockya.com%2Fnews%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fthor_courage_is_immortal_poste r.jpg&v_t=keyword_rollover&host=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.shockya.com%2Fnews%2F2011%2F 03%2F28%2Fthis-thor-movie-poster-has-courage%2F&width=93&height=133&thumbUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fimages-partners-tbn.google.com%2Fimages%3Fq%3Dtbn%3AANd9GcRotm76pG kY63Se1J7pONnad3IjQMPZ7y-SgxFrB5yoepkQT7eZd1ZXBs2v%3Awww.shockya.com%2Fnews %2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2Fthor_courage_is_immortal_poste r.jpg&b=image%3Fimgc%3D%26page%3D3%26v_t%3Dkeyword_rollo ver%26q%3Dthor%2Bthe%2Bmovie%26count_override%3D18 %26s_it%3Dtopsearchbox.image%26imgtype%3D%26oreq%3 De8d4699244df40d1bcf4844101266d87%26imgsz%3D%26ore q%3Ddf337507c4664b199bb0f0a2547a7ef8&imgHeight=559&imgWidth=391&imgTitle=Thor+Courage+Movie+Poster&imgSize=61402&hostName=www.shockya.com)
They both were pretty good .

gotoseagrl
12-26-2012, 01:31 PM
http://strmusic.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Take-This-Waltz-.jpg

very good. refreshing. and just when i had no idea Michelle Williams could get any more cute than she already was.

alexri
12-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Park me on the couch with some classic comedies or dramas with friends, food and I'm a happy boy.

I'm a sucker for classic 80's slapstick comedy, like Spaceballs, The Naked Gun, Clue, Airplane!, etc.

homoe
12-26-2012, 03:44 PM
I'm a huge cinema fan and have a wide variety of tastes in movies, but I'm a sucker for most "chick flicks", I admit it..:nerd:

homoe
01-04-2013, 11:43 AM
I am not usually fond of remakes but for some reason I just love the remake of Gloria with Sharon Stone.

No doubt the director must of let her do abit of ad libing..lol

cinnamongrrl
01-14-2013, 11:42 PM
I saw a trailer for a new movie, Mama today...I told Teddy we had to go see it. It's just the right blend of suspense for me. Outright gore and horror don't appeal to me...

I'm determined to get Teddy to watch Traffic with me over our weekend. A truly excellent film. I can't believe he's never seen it.

And

My client purchased Das Boot, an old submarine flick, for me to see. I happen to be a fan of submarine movies, can't explain the inclination. I think it's the suspense of being in a confined space with numerous variables and the problem solving that ensues to keep the ship safe. (Think Hunt for the Red October)

StillettoDoll
05-27-2013, 05:00 PM
Wow I cant believe it summer time already, Me and Blaze did a little catching up on some movies that are out right now ... We did a big movie marathon weekend for Memorial Day.
We went to see Star trek on Saturday, I liked Spock in this movie thought he was great , I like the movie over all , Blaze thought is was ok .
On Sunday we went to see Iron Man ... I like it so did Blaze
Today we went to see MUD .... We both loved it. Thumbs Up!:popcorn:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTRaGsKzKy4d6yIJqyIxjHU5Rk5Is7hi EGr4liEVBnhvE7E8Jef:images2.fanpop.com/images/photos/6100000/Spock-star-trek-2009-6140175-1024-768.jpghttp://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTU2MzcyODgyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNTc4MDYwOQ@@._ V1_SX214_.jpghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/-b68zirtWnwA/UXympc4dBmI/AAAAAAAAAbM/aNWURbC1JSc/s400/ironman3.jpg

Gemme
05-28-2013, 04:01 AM
Saw Epic (non 3D version) this weekend.

Very good!

Kätzchen
09-18-2017, 05:00 PM
I love a wide variety of movies....ranging from comedy, dark humor, romance, crime thrillers, sci-fi, and documentaries. I like movies from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. It's hard to nail down absolute favorites because each movie I've ever seen has its own cultural appeal....even Pixar and Disney movies. I'm not too fond of horror movies, as a specific genre because there's a certain level of "horror" in crime thrillers. I recently watched Wind River at the theater and even watched an HBO series called Ozark....which these types of films or film products had their own brand of 'horror'.

I once took a graduate level course on Film, Social Media and Culture....which was very enlightening and helped me to have a deeper appreciation of the art of film.

homoe
09-18-2017, 06:03 PM
I also took a film class but this class taught about movie directors and their styles......

Akira Kurosawa, Ingmar Bergman, Billy Wilder, Jean-Luc Godard, Fritz Lang,
Federico Fellini, and modern day ones such as Spike Lee, Woody Allen, Ang Lee. I'm sure I'm forgetting some others.

So many movies, so little time.,:popcorn:

Sweet Bliss
09-18-2017, 07:17 PM
I have been watching "Cloud Atlas" over and over on Netflix, gonna have to buy the book now. lol

My minor was Film...

VintageFemme
09-18-2017, 07:35 PM
This might very well be the sweetest hour I've spent in ever and ever and ever. #RelationshipGoals

Edie & Thea: A Very Long Engagement http://www.here.tv/movie/edie-thea-a-very-long-engagement/505888

homoe
09-18-2017, 07:42 PM
This might very well be the sweetest hour I've spent in ever and ever and ever. #RelationshipGoals

Edie & Thea: A Very Long Engagement http://www.here.tv/movie/edie-thea-a-very-long-engagement/505888

Yes, this is excellent! I had recently posted this in another movie thread.:movieguy:

This about Edith Windsor, who just recently died, and her partner.

homoe
09-27-2017, 10:53 AM
I can't say for sure but without Edith's actions we may of not had gay marriage equality until much later!

homoe
10-10-2017, 05:20 AM
Signature Move (2017)

Zaynab, a thirty-something Pakistani, Muslim, lesbian in Chicago takes care of her sweet and TV-obsessed mother. As Zaynab falls for Alma, a bold and very bright Mexican woman, she searches for her identity in life, love and wrestling.

Wrang1er
10-10-2017, 09:58 AM
I'd like to see The Mountain Between Us and Victoria and Abdul. I also would like to see The Stray.

homoe
12-30-2017, 05:25 PM
I'd like to see The Mountain Between Us and Victoria and Abdul. I also would like to see The Stray.

I think most of these are out on DVD now............:popcorn:

homoe
12-31-2017, 08:03 AM
Flawless 2007 stars Demi Moore, Michael Caine

Set in 1960 London, where a soon to retire caretaker convinces a glass-ceiling constrained American executive to help him steal a handful of diamonds from their employer, the London Diamond Corporation.

This movie was very good but I've had a hard time trying to track it down again to re-watch.

Don't get confused as there is also another movie with the same exact title (1999) that stars Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Robert De Niro.

homoe
12-31-2017, 09:11 AM
3 Generations Naomi Watts, Elle Fanning, Susan Sarandon

This movie is so much more than just about transitioning! Secrets kept from the past surface, and hits the viewer when they least expect it.

homoe
01-13-2018, 11:41 AM
The Other Sister Juliette Lewis, Diane Keaton, Giovanni Ribisi

A mentally challenged young woman seeks independence by obtaining her own apartment and attending college while her family plans her sister's wedding.

If you've not seen this older movie check it out......:popcorn:

homoe
01-13-2018, 11:47 AM
Enough Said 2013 Julia Louis-Dreyfus, James Gandolfini, Catherine Keener

A divorced woman who decides to pursue the man she's interested in learns he's her new friend's ex-husband.

homoe
01-13-2018, 11:49 AM
Far From Heaven 2002 Julianne Moore and Dennis Quaid

In 1950s Connecticut, a housewife faces a marital crisis and mounting racial tensions in the outside world.

homoe
01-13-2018, 11:53 AM
Devil in a Blue Dress 1995 Denzel Washington and Don Cheadle

An African-American man is hired to find a woman, and gets mixed up in a murderous political scandal.

Kätzchen
01-13-2018, 12:46 PM
The Other Sister Juliette Lewis, Diane Keaton, Giovanni Ribisi

A mentally challenged young woman seeks independence by obtaining her own apartment and attending college while her family plans her sister's wedding.

If you've not seen this older movie check it out......:popcorn:

Enough Said 2013 Julia Louis-Dreyfus, James Gandolfini, Catherine Keener

A divorced woman who decides to pursue the man she's interested in learns he's her new friend's ex-husband.

Far From Heaven 2002 Julianne Moore and Dennis Quaid

In 1950s Connecticut, a housewife faces a marital crisis and mounting racial tensions in the outside world.

Devil in a Blue Dress 1995 Denzel Washington and Don Cheadle

An African-American man is hired to find a woman, and gets mixed up in a murderous political scandal.

oohhhhh, these look like really GQQD movies, homoe, I'll see if I can fund them.and watch them today! :bow:

theoddz
01-13-2018, 12:51 PM
I strongly advocate for "The Shape of Water" for anyone wanting to see a good movie. It's written and directed by Guillermo del Toro, who also wrote and directed "Pan's Labyrinth".

~Theo~ :bouquet:

Gemme
01-13-2018, 07:52 PM
I strongly advocate for "The Shape of Water" for anyone wanting to see a good movie. It's written and directed by Guillermo del Toro, who also wrote and directed "Pan's Labyrinth".

~Theo~ :bouquet:

I got to go to premier for this movie and really enjoyed it. DC was less enthusiastic but He doesn't love the weird and unusual like I do.

The cinematography was gorgeous and the costume...amazing. Absolutely stunning to watch.

homoe
01-24-2018, 07:15 AM
A Good Woman 2004 Helen Hunt, Scarlett Johansson, Tom Wilkinson

While retaining her secret identity, the illustrious Mrs. Erlynne (Hunt) saves Lady Windemere (Johansson) from making a grand social faux-pas with the scoundrelly Lord Darlington (Moore).

homoe
02-23-2018, 04:19 PM
Professor Marston and the Wonder Women (2017)

It's NOT just about the creator of Wonder Woman!

Signmypapyrus
03-27-2018, 07:53 PM
Ah yeah, movies! I love everything from Agnes Varda and Chantal Akerman to Christopher Guest to Stepbrothers. I've seen some really weird movies (Begotten) and some really terrible movies (oh, I mean, lots of things). I have a soft spot for the French New Wave and French cinema (Chris Marker's Sans Soleil is peak Sci Fi) and I think that the Lego Movie is one of the greatest movies ever made.

I also think Napoleon Dynamite should have won the Palme d'Or at Cannes. Please don't judge me.

Wrang1er
03-27-2018, 10:34 PM
I want to watch Get Out. I don't usually like that genre but I saw Oprah talking about it and thought it looked interesting.

homoe
03-28-2018, 02:45 AM
I liked LadyBird but I fail to understand all the hype about it.........:movieguy:

homoe
03-31-2018, 07:41 PM
I can't wait to see the documentary on Ruth Bader Ginsburg

homoe
04-05-2018, 07:57 AM
Al Pacino portrays beloved and disgraced Penn State football coach Joe Paterno in new HBO film....:movieguy:

This will air April 7th check your local listing for times

homoe
04-05-2018, 08:39 AM
Tell It to the Bees........... Anna Paquin

I may of posted this already in one of the other movie threads so forgive me!
And yes, this is based on the wonderful novel of the same name!

homoe
04-07-2018, 10:21 PM
Al Pacino portrays beloved and disgraced Penn State football coach Joe Paterno in new HBO film....:movieguy:

I forgot to set my DVR for this.....So glad we have On Demand and HBO

homoe
04-13-2018, 07:56 PM

It wasn't what I was expecting and I have to say I very disappointed really didn't care for it all that much.

homoe
04-28-2018, 07:34 AM
stars: Claire Danes Meryl Streep Glenn Close Mamie Gummer

Drifting in and out of consciousness, Ann Grant Lord (Vanessa Redgrave) calls forth memories of her one true love. As a young woman, she met Harris at her best friend's wedding and had a brief affair. As Ann recalls the bittersweet time in her life, her daughters (Toni Collette, Natasha Richardson) try to come to terms with her imminent death.

I had never seen this movie before and even tho most of it is told in flashbacks I rather enjoyed it.........:movieguy:

Wrang1er
04-28-2018, 08:54 AM
I'm planning on going to the drive-in tonight. This is opening weekend. Avengers Infinity War and Black Panther are playing. It's cold though so that may be a determining factor.

homoe
05-24-2018, 03:05 PM
I can't wait to see the documentary on Ruth Bader Ginsburg

This was very good....:hangloose: