PDA

View Full Version : Pets - General

DapperButch
05-15-2010, 05:54 AM
Ok, so I didn't see a general pets thread, and don't think this is deserving of its own thread, but thought people may be interested. I think it sucks!

http://www.pawnation.com/2010/05/14/78-year-old-arkansas-man-fights-to-keep-beloved-pet-pig/?icid=main|htmlws-main-w|dl3|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pawnation.com%2F2010% 2F05%2F14%2F78-year-old-arkansas-man-fights-to-keep-beloved-pet-pig%2F

Anyway, I figure this thread could be used for any general pet questions, comments, funny stories, etc. Anything that you don't think should have a whole thread in itself.

Blade
05-15-2010, 07:07 AM
"In this part of the country, hog and pig are basically the same thing," he told Paw Nation. "We have to act accordingly through points of law, and it's prohibited by city ordinance."

I'll bet in that part of the country the law a cat and a bobcat, mountain lion etc aren't basically the same thing. I'll bet dog and fox, wolf etc aren't the same thing.

I've had pot bellied pigs and they are very smart and very clean animals, and yes I raised my 2 in the house. You can teach them tricks and litter train them. I enjoyed mine and hope he gets to keep Joker.

On another note:
A mother's request for a zoning change for 3 pet hens prompts concerns of feathered influx in town.
By Marty Minchin
Special Correspondent
Posted: Sunday, May. 17, 2009

The three Walker boys and their chickens: (from left), Anthony, 6; Isaac, 10; and Alec, 9. Mother Neva Walker says she next will apply for a zoning variance to allow the chickens to stay. COURTESY OF NEVA WALKER

STALLINGS Three pet chickens may have to find a new place to roost after the Stallings Town Council affirmed last week that fowl can't live in neighborhoods.
In November, Isaac, Alec and Anthony Walker – ages 10, 9 and 6 – petitioned the town to allow them to keep the pet chickens they received at Easter 2008. Neva Walker, their mother, had learned that keeping chickens violated a town ordinance and told them they had to either give up the birds or ask the Town Council to change the rules.
The council took up the issue last Monday.
Current town rules require residents to live on lots two acres or larger to keep farm animals. Town planners offered an amended ordinance that would allow chickens on lots about a half-acre or larger. But the town staff did not support the change.
A small group of residents, most from Curry Place near the Walker home, attended the meeting to protest urban chickens. They said they were worried that an ordinance change would allow chickens in their neighborhood.
“This is a health hazard,” Joyce Hartis, who lives on Curry Way, told the Town Council. “Chickens are disease-carrying animals. If they're in a coop, the smell will be terrible.”
She presented the council with a petition of almost 60 signatures from neighbors opposed to urban chickens. She also said that Stallings has had cockfighting problems in the past and that people could get mites from chickens.
Most towns have rules governing pets and livestock. Nearby Indian Trail, for example, doesn't allow livestock in most residential areas, limiting it to the “rural, single-family residential district” that includes areas with large lots, limited public services or utilities and agricultural activities.
Council members briefly discussed the issue before voting 5-1 to keep the town's current restrictions. Council member Renee Hartis was the lone dissenting vote.
“I was very sympathetic to this child having chickens, but I had not thought over all these other aspects,” said council member Barbara Anne Price. “We would be removing protections (town residents) were expecting.”
Neva Walker aid she and her sons did not know the issue would be discussed Monday and thus did not attend the town meeting. She said Wednesday that her sons still have their four hens and have grown quite attached to them.
She said she spoke with Stallings officials on Wednesday, and she plans to apply for a variance that would allow her sons to keep the chickens.
“If we have to, we'll fight again,” Walker said. She asks anyone who would like to support the quest to keep the chickens to e-mail the family at saveourhens@yahoo.com.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/bre...ry/726943.html

Sachita
05-16-2010, 06:39 AM
If I lived in the suburbs I wouldn't want farm animals next door. It's unfair to the animals. I do think they need to change the laws for pot bellies since they are considered a socialize pet.

Some areas they limit the number of dogs you can have and they make these laws to protect everyone. Some people just take advantage. If you're in a sub-division you know you're going to have rules. Thats why I live in the country.

Now I need to figure out how to get a 250 pound pig out. She got stuck in the mud somehow and it rained all night. This should be fun.

Sachita
05-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Thank you all for your ideas. It took a few of us to get mulch and blankets under her feet then use boards on her back and lifted her out. This mud is awful. She got herself stuck then it rained all night. She hates rains so she keep trashing and worked herself deeper and deeper.

she's out now, tired, thirsty and hungry.

Soft*Silver
05-16-2010, 09:12 AM
poor pig!

I want a duck. My daughter loves ducks and has had them as pets. One of my neighbors down the road of the trailer park I lived in, kept a pet duck in her house. (a very nice house, too!)

Sachita
05-16-2010, 09:20 AM
I'm a little burnt out taking care of animals. I've been doing it for 10 years now, all kinds and as much as I love ducks I'd rather go visit them.

You should have seen the mud on me. I looked at my friend who was also covered in mud and said "People pay big money for this."

Blade
05-16-2010, 09:22 AM
as I always say and most folks don't understand. That's life on the farm.

I'm a little burnt out taking care of animals. I've been doing it for 10 years now, all kinds and as much as I love ducks I'd rather go visit them.

You should have seen the mud on me. I looked at my friend who was also covered in mud and said "People pay big money for this."

Rockinonahigh
05-16-2010, 09:45 AM
Yes she is,big time.When I frst got Diva she had been a stray running the roads that ended up on a friend of mines porch near starved to death.They brought her to me cause there big dogs didnt get along with her at all.I have had her for three years noow and she is a typical chubby pug tho she still has some probs with her nerves and suden loud noises and near has panic attacks when t-storns are hear.I just wish she would get ovr her hideing food in he bed as well as other places in the house.I know this is a cary ovr from her being near starved but its been thre years and she has never had any shortage of food and has a food bown with food in it all the time.At first I ketp the hordes picksed up but then have allowd her to keep some as long as it dosent become a mess..it keeps her happyer to know its where she wants it..but I never have had any pup do this beond a fur dog bisquits or treats hear and there.

Boots13
05-16-2010, 09:48 AM

LOL...at least the pig didn't win

I love animals, but work prohibits really devoting the time necessary to them.

My crazy mother, on the other hand, had a black duck(Merlin), goats(Ben and Jerry), chickens(all girly names:Catherine, Margaret, etc ???), had a pigeon(Pidgy), horses(Gamitez and Zorro), bunnies(Bun-Buns)

All named and loved pets.

While not domesticated, she named the coyotes in the back forty Gladys and the Pips because they could really belt out a song or two...

Gemme
05-16-2010, 10:15 AM
Ok, so I didn't see a general pets thread, and don't think this is deserving of its own thread, but thought people may be interested. I think it sucks!

http://www.pawnation.com/2010/05/14/78-year-old-arkansas-man-fights-to-keep-beloved-pet-pig/?icid=main|htmlws-main-w|dl3|link3|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pawnation.com%2F2010% 2F05%2F14%2F78-year-old-arkansas-man-fights-to-keep-beloved-pet-pig%2F

Anyway, I figure this thread could be used for any general pet questions, comments, funny stories, etc. Anything that you don't think should have a whole thread in itself.

That is heartbreaking. There is a blatant difference between raising pigs and hogs for profit or food and having a potbellied pig as a pet. Gone are the days when people didn't know that pigs are quite clean and very smart and, for those that enjoy party tricks, are very capable of being taught tricks and routines, right?

Right? :blink:

Guess not.

Soft*Silver
06-03-2010, 05:48 AM
I spent the night with my new dog leashed to my ankle...he is a 220 lb black newfoundland male named Dawson, aka Dawk. He has not been a house dog. He is 10 years old. He has lived in a kennel all this life...his hair is all over my green carpet and my vaccuum cleaner decided to break today. He drools alot. Its on the glass of my front door. Amongst other places yet to be discovered. Outside he has decided he likes to pee on my peas. This will not do.

My old girl Story is fine with him. She knows her place by me is promised to her. She knows him too..they came from the same kennel. She is 4 years older than him. Two big dogs in one house..

oh wait..I am adding a third today...yes, really.

His name is Old Max. He is 11 and his owners dropped him off right before the holiday weekend, at the pound. His day to be put down was yesterday...but the pound said they would hold him for me...I am on my way now to go get him. He is a newfoundland too...a big black drooling mess of a dog...

I couldnt be happier...

Blade
06-03-2010, 06:31 AM
Ms. T is the funniest little dog. She is not a puppy but does such puppy stuff sometimes it tickles me. I'm sitting here this morning putting on my boots and I get one sock half on and she comes bouncing in the room running from Skippy sees my sock dangling grabs it and tries to run off with my sock. IT'S halfway on my foot LOL. Yeah I got a big laugh out of that one. She's really come out of her shell in just a few weeks. I'm happy about that.

NJFemmie
06-03-2010, 06:37 AM
I'm waiting to call the shelter (might be too early) to find out when we can pick up the newest addition to our family - a tiny silver/grey tabby kitten.

I'm excited. He's adorable. He has a tiny black nose. OMG. I want to eat him up already, and I don't even have him yet.

Sachita
06-03-2010, 06:42 AM
I spent the night with my new dog leashed to my ankle...he is a 220 lb black newfoundland male named Dawson, aka Dawk. He has not been a house dog. He is 10 years old. He has lived in a kennel all this life...his hair is all over my green carpet and my vaccuum cleaner decided to break today. He drools alot. Its on the glass of my front door. Amongst other places yet to be discovered. Outside he has decided he likes to pee on my peas. This will not do.

My old girl Story is fine with him. She knows her place by me is promised to her. She knows him too..they came from the same kennel. She is 4 years older than him. Two big dogs in one house..

oh wait..I am adding a third today...yes, really.

His name is Old Max. He is 11 and his owners dropped him off right before the holiday weekend, at the pound. His day to be put down was yesterday...but the pound said they would hold him for me...I am on my way now to go get him. He is a newfoundland too...a big black drooling mess of a dog...

I couldnt be happier...

sometimes people suck. Luckily you don't. I can't imagine a 200 pound dog. I took care if one close. I'm taking care of a skinny lab now thats 3 with no manners. I got him one of those face halters to start training him. The kid that works for me ask me if i got paid extra to train him. I said no. I do it for the dog. The better they enjoy him the more time they will spend with him. I know she wants him or she wouldnt board him and go through the steps. She just doesnt teach him and he runs all over her.

christie
06-03-2010, 06:44 AM
We are SO excited - many of you know we are a schnauzer family.

Mini Max who is 23 this year - yep, 23 - and still plays like a puppy. Scooter, a Katrina rescue is also a mini and just a huge lovebug.

Samson is a Giant and weighs in at about 117lbs. He is a big ole baby and will be 4 this year.

Today, we add Jen-ny (think Forest Gump). She is another Giant and the reason I can barely contain myself LOL. We have bandied the idea of a Giant girl for some time, and since we lost our precious Shelby at age 21 last October (she was a black lab, but tolerated the schnauzer parade) we have really missed the female energy in our pack.

Jen-ny was taken from a horrible situation in King George where the owner had over 50 dogs, most dead or dying and is one of the 13 survivors. Her foster mom says she has made huge strides not just in her health (she weighed 26lbs- the size of our minis- when she came into rescue) but also in her trust of people. I posted a pic of her in the galleries.

I just can't WAIT to go pick her up - I will be clock watching all day!

Blade
06-03-2010, 06:49 AM
26 pounds WOW! I'd love to be locked in a room for about 30 minutes with people who treat animals like this. They'd tremble at the thought of anyone bringing another animal on their property

Mini Max who is 23 this year - yep, 23 - and still plays like a puppy. Scooter, a Katrina rescue is also a mini and just a huge lovebug.

Samson is a Giant and weighs in at about 117lbs. He is a big ole baby and will be 4 this year.

Today, we add Jen-ny (think Forest Gump). She is another Giant and the reason I can barely contain myself LOL. We have bandied the idea of a Giant girl for some time, and since we lost our precious Shelby at age 21 last October (she was a black lab, but tolerated the schnauzer parade) we have really missed the female energy in our pack.

Jen-ny was taken from a horrible situation in King George where the owner had over 50 dogs, most dead or dying and is one of the 13 survivors. Her foster mom says she has made huge strides not just in her health (she weighed 26lbs- the size of our minis- when she came into rescue) but also in her trust of people. I posted a pic of her in the galleries.

I just can't WAIT to go pick her up - I will be clock watching all day!

NJFemmie
06-03-2010, 07:40 AM
Little dude is in surgery right now....

http://i50.tinypic.com/hvc4dj.jpg

We can pick him up as early as tomorrow, YIPPEE! lol

Bit
06-03-2010, 03:26 PM
We interrupt this thread to bring you a rope.

Again.

Again.

Again.

Again..... lol, so THIS is what they mean by "retriever"?

Again.

Again.

Again....

:cheesy:

Linus
06-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Ok. So I have a question. This summer, when I finally head out to L.A., I'm gonna take Bobcat (16 yr old who has FeLV and hates being in the carrier but will be quiet once in motion) with me on the plane into the cabin. I'm curious if anyone else has taken a cat with them on a plane (or small dog).

Oh, wait. Second question: did you have to take the animal out of the carrier when going through TSA? (I'm talking about domestic flights, not cross border).

Bit
06-03-2010, 04:12 PM
I was never able to fly with Lady; they have height restrictions which probably most cats will meet but she was an inch too tall. I'd be really interested in the info you find, Linus.

Gemme
06-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Ok. So I have a question. This summer, when I finally head out to L.A., I'm gonna take Bobcat (16 yr old who has FeLV and hates being in the carrier but will be quiet once in motion) with me on the plane into the cabin. I'm curious if anyone else has taken a cat with them on a plane (or small dog).

Oh, wait. Second question: did you have to take the animal out of the carrier when going through TSA? (I'm talking about domestic flights, not cross border).

I haven't traveled by air with an animal, but I've seen one lady bring her Chihuahua on a flight once. I don't know if it was well traveled, drugged, too old to care or just lazy, but the pup slept the entire 5, almost 6 hour flight. She put the pup under a seat (had a tiny carrier), but I didn't think to ask how she got the pup through security. I can imagine the Xray should take care of it though.

Soft*Silver
06-03-2010, 06:35 PM
the old pound dog is resting in isolation. How pitiful he is. So emaciated. He came to the pound because his mistress died and her out of state daughter didnt want to be bothered by him. He is so tired and weary. I am amazed at how easy he is to deal with..so compliant. No fight in him, or left in him. He goes to the vet, and then to the groomer.

The new newf from the breeder is a different story. He is a BEAUTIFUL sweet loving dog, but he was used as breeding dog and thus has alot of marking issues. I am trying my best to break him of it but am told because he is 10, this is now learned behavior and might not work. I am talking with the breeder and some other newf people...cross your fingers!

Soft*Silver
06-04-2010, 12:45 PM
I had to make a difficult decision. With his marking as bad as it is, and being told even if we neutered him, it might not stop, I have decided to return Dawson back to his breeder. She had said she would neuter him before I got him but she did not. Even after neutering it takes 30 to 90 days for the hormones to level off. I dont have 90 days of scrubbing and mopping in me. So, he is going back.

The Old Man Max is doing wonderful. He is chipper today, bouncing around when I came downstairs to get him this morning. He is completely housebroken much to my suprise. He is a different dog than the one I picked up from the pound yesterday...

and Old Story, my 14 year old newfie girl is doing great. I have made sure she is getting all the attention she needs from me...

Bit
06-04-2010, 01:04 PM
softness, I confess that when I read last night about the marking my heart just quailed inside my chest... I could never deal with that!! The second day we were babysitting Deagan, Trooper marked the bag of dogfood and I about came unglued! Thanks be the dogfood bag is plasticized because I couldn't have afforded to replace it that week if the urine had soaked through.

Anyhow, I'm sorry you couldn't keep Dawson.

How cool that your Old Man Max has settled in so quickly! There goes your house, working its magic on him. Yaaay! :cheesy:

Soft*Silver
06-04-2010, 04:59 PM
Bit...I have had a heavy heart ever since I made this decision but I know its the right one. I cannot tolerate this marking. I have been running from room to room with upholstry cleaner, rug cleaner, vinegar and special pet enzyme shampoo. I just cant keep doing this! He is such a sweet boy...and I wish I could keep him but lets face it...there are limits to my tolerance of any dog. I was told he would be neutered and he wasnt. Now I am dealing with a stud dog who doesnt know he needs to stop the stud business.

Old Max, on the other hand, is doing just wonderful! He is, we found out, completely housebroken, knows how to shake hands and lay down, and is an excellent watch dog. He has eaten a whole can of wet food...he cant eat the dry stuff..it falls out of his mouth. My guess is he has dental problems and thats why he is so thin. He loves being outside, loves taking walks (short ones, as he is VERY arthritic) and loves being hugged. My daughter has fallen in love with him and vice versa. I am so glad we rescued him! He is the best little suprise!

Liam
06-04-2010, 05:48 PM

Max, my min poodle has traveled by plane several times, however it was all pre-911. At that time, I had to purchase a ticket for him, just like I would if he were a human being. He had to remain in his carrier, which was placed under the seat in front of me, during the flight. In order to board the plane, a certificate of health was required—the vet basically gave him a check-up and certified that he was free of disease or pests. Your airline's web site should have all of the specific requirements about traveling with a pet. Best of luck to both of you!

christie
06-05-2010, 06:37 AM
Jen-ny is home and I must admit that its been a trying couple of days. She is SO very timid and afraid. I know that part of it is just adjustment and that I can't humanize her and project that "oh poor pitiful you baby" energy on her. I have never had a dog, even with all ours being rescues, that just shut down and I am trying to not let my frustration/ignorance of dealing with this type of behavior get the best of me.

Caesar and his books and shows have been very helpful and I know that I need to be reconditioned as much as she.

She is showing great improvement and I am trying to be everso patient. That is so hard for me - I have the patience of a gnat!

Jess just loves her and she is becoming more comfortable with our boys. We are quickly becoming the schnauzer walking parade in our lil town - most folks here have never seen Giants and are always stopping us with the "Whut kinda dog is THAT?" LOL

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend with their babies!

Toughy
06-05-2010, 11:51 AM
A public service announcement:

Please spay or neuter your pets, no matter their age. There is no reason for not doing this.......none.

DapperButch
06-05-2010, 12:38 PM
A public service announcement:

Please spay or neuter your pets, no matter their age. There is no reason for not doing this.......none.

"Because my dog would make such cute puppies" <----hate that one!

Linus
06-05-2010, 12:54 PM
Max, my min poodle has traveled by plane several times, however it was all pre-911. At that time, I had to purchase a ticket for him, just like I would if he were a human being. He had to remain in his carrier, which was placed under the seat in front of me, during the flight. In order to board the plane, a certificate of health was required—the vet basically gave him a check-up and certified that he was free of disease or pests. Your airline's web site should have all of the specific requirements about traveling with a pet. Best of luck to both of you!

How did he handle the flight?

And I've been to the airline's site but they do not mention what TSA does. Maybe their site will have something.

Liam
06-05-2010, 12:59 PM
How did he handle the flight?

And I've been to the airline's site but they do not mention what TSA does. Maybe their site will have something.

Max handled it quite well, no "accidents," in the kennel; he would have preferred to be seated on my lap, but he survived.

This link might help you, apparently Bob has been moonlighting as a model!

http://www.bringfido.com/travel/us_regulations/

Even though it says Fido, it is about pets....

http://www.catchannel.com/care/travel/article_5364.aspx

Bit
06-05-2010, 08:30 PM
Jen-ny is home and I must admit that its been a trying couple of days. She is SO very timid and afraid. I know that part of it is just adjustment and that I can't humanize her and project that "oh poor pitiful you baby" energy on her.

I made that mistake with Trooper and my friend made that mistake with Deagan. BELIEVE me, they both took full advantage of us too! I caught on pretty quick with Troop because he got cocky, obnoxious, and willful, but it was a lot harder to figure it out with Deagan because he milked that "poor pitiful frightened abused baby" thing for all he was worth.

His soulful puppy eyes are killer, just killer; it's very nearly impossible to avoid giving him whatever he's angling for when he pulls them on you... and of course what he wants is to be the adored center of attention. He may not be left out of ANYTHING... which really limited her on things like going to the grocery store. :blink: I think she got it dealt with, but it would have been better if she could have avoided spoiling him to begin with.

Which is the very long way round to saying, stay strong and don't give in! You're doing the right thing.

christie
06-06-2010, 06:12 AM
I made that mistake with Trooper and my friend made that mistake with Deagan. BELIEVE me, they both took full advantage of us too! I caught on pretty quick with Troop because he got cocky, obnoxious, and willful, but it was a lot harder to figure it out with Deagan because he milked that "poor pitiful frightened abused baby" thing for all he was worth.

His soulful puppy eyes are killer, just killer; it's very nearly impossible to avoid giving him whatever he's angling for when he pulls them on you... and of course what he wants is to be the adored center of attention. He may not be left out of ANYTHING... which really limited her on things like going to the grocery store. :blink: I think she got it dealt with, but it would have been better if she could have avoided spoiling him to begin with.

Which is the very long way round to saying, stay strong and don't give in! You're doing the right thing.

Thanks, Bit, for the encouragement. I *know* that I am doing the right thing even though it really breaks my heart every time I have to drag her part way through the house to go potty.

It has gotten better each time - first time, I literally had to drag her all the way to the door, out it and part way into the yard. Last night, the drag was only a couple of feet.

The funniest thing is watching Max, the old lil guy, think that she is Samson. He and Samson had some dominance issues, even though they know who is really running the show, that we have had to work through. Max won't even LOOK at Jenny! And even though all the experts seem to say that dogs dont have the feelings and emotions we do, I don't buy it when Max refuses to even look at us when he is mad about another dog in the house. He is so haughty and its quite funny.

Billy
06-06-2010, 06:26 AM
When I woke up , I couldn't find baby maddy (kitten) I was calling all over the house . Then I heard this very faint meow , it sounded like it was coming from behind the fridge ....So I started to pull the fridge out and I pulled the door open , she wasn't behind the fridge , she was in it !!!!!!!:blink::blink:

christie
06-06-2010, 06:29 AM
When I woke up , I couldn't find baby maddy (kitten) I was calling all over the house . Then I heard this very faint meow , it sounded like it was coming from behind the fridge ....So I started to pull the fridge out and I pulled the door open , she wasn't behind the fridge , she was in it !!!!!!!:blink::blink:

I know this isnt funny - but it kinda is!

We had two rescue kitties for almost a year. Eddie was SO helpful in everything we did - laundry? He was in the dryer. Fridge? He was right up in it. Oven? He wanted to peek and wound up with singed whiskers!

Glad you found your baby and she wasn't a kitty-scicle!

NJFemmie
06-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Mare brought home little Maxwell Smartypants Friday night, and he adjusted to his new home almost immediately. Since Friday night, he's been working on establishing a relationship with his big brother Ember, who is "trying" to tolerate having a kitten in the house. It's been a bit rocky, but we've seen some improvements.

We're both very pleased with his personality - he's very friendly, social, receptive and extremely laid back and mellow. He likes to be around us. The people at the animal shelter described him as the opposite, but then again, I really don't think they know what they're talking about. (They originally presented us a little black kitten who they claimed was sweet and gentle, but was actually a little meanie monster, lol) He is a little stubborn though, he wants what he wants when he wants it, and well, that's exactly how Mare is, lol. (This is going to be fun.)

We decided to call him Maxwell (Smartypants) since that's the name he seemed to have answered to when we were throwing out a plethora of possible names. It suits him since he's a very smart and clever kitten, but tends to hit his head a lot, lol. (He's still at that baby kitty-clumsy stage - his stealth abilities are flawless, but we're discussing on how to refine his finesse. ;) ) He's been killing us with cuteness since he arrived. He's quite the character.

:) :)

NJFemmie
06-06-2010, 06:45 AM

Ember tries to jump in the fridge every time we open it. With the old fridge, you could close the door with him in it, but with this new one, there's no way to accidentally shut him in.

My Shaolyn used to like to climb into open drawers when you weren't looking. One night, she crawled into a large drawer (one of the big ones found under a platform bed) - and her little meows alerted me to her whereabouts, lol. You would think that after being stuck in a drawer for God knows how long would have stopped her - but no. I'd have to do a drawer check before I closed it. She was a slippery little puss.

Sachita
06-06-2010, 09:34 AM
I haven't traveled by air with an animal, but I've seen one lady bring her Chihuahua on a flight once. I don't know if it was well traveled, drugged, too old to care or just lazy, but the pup slept the entire 5, almost 6 hour flight. She put the pup under a seat (had a tiny carrier), but I didn't think to ask how she got the pup through security. I can imagine the Xray should take care of it though.

I take my toy poodle on flights and under the seat. Most small dogs that go with owners all the time are use to being crated or contained. Mine sleeps too.

If I needed to bring my larger dogs I would just drive. I couldnt put them in freight.

Soft*Silver
06-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Dawson, the big newf, was thrilled to be home with his buddies again. He couldnt wait to get in the door. So much for my ego! I was all sad and feeling guilty for returning him and he wasnt even looking back! Chuckling... the kennel owner was grateful I came to a quick conclusion and said it showed I had his best interest at heart. She told me she would adopt another dog out to me anyday. Of course, I have adopted two other of her dogs over the years, so I have a good history with her

Old Max is basking in the sun right now. He is eating well, loves to do a tiny bit of play (again, he is still weak and his back legs are really bad) and would sit for hours to be petter. Once he gets the vet ok, and shows he can be around Story without problem, he can come out of quaranteene and join us in the house.

it is so hard to foster a dog, especially one with so much unknown about him. I dont know if Max has had any shots, ever! Did he have a rabies shot? Was he on heartworm meds? My guess is probably not, as his missus was a poor woman and her house was likened to a hoarder's house. One small path to walk thru horrible messes and boxes and filth and junk. Her heart might have been true to the dog but I doubt he was vetted...

christie
06-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Dawson, the big newf, was thrilled to be home with his buddies again. He couldnt wait to get in the door. So much for my ego! I was all sad and feeling guilty for returning him and he wasnt even looking back! Chuckling... the kennel owner was grateful I came to a quick conclusion and said it showed I had his best interest at heart. She told me she would adopt another dog out to me anyday. Of course, I have adopted two other of her dogs over the years, so I have a good history with her

Old Max is basking in the sun right now. He is eating well, loves to do a tiny bit of play (again, he is still weak and his back legs are really bad) and would sit for hours to be petter. Once he gets the vet ok, and shows he can be around Story without problem, he can come out of quaranteene and join us in the house.

it is so hard to foster a dog, especially one with so much unknown about him. I dont know if Max has had any shots, ever! Did he have a rabies shot? Was he on heartworm meds? My guess is probably not, as his missus was a poor woman and her house was likened to a hoarder's house. One small path to walk thru horrible messes and boxes and filth and junk. Her heart might have been true to the dog but I doubt he was vetted...

I know what you mean about the unknown vetting. Even with Sookie (the re-named Jenny) having been in rescue/foster, she hasn't had nearly all the shots she should have and I know that her first visit with our vet will include bordatella, canine influenza, distemper, parvo, blah blah blah. Because we board our dogs when we travel, our vet requires boosters even on the "puppy" shots. A $120 grooming will be at least $300 by the time she has all the vaccines. :blink::blink:

On the brighter side of things, she is doing SO much better. This morning, there was no drag thru the house to walk and while I was getting ready, she alternated between Jess and I for love - without us proding her! I am so hopeful that she will be the big ole social girl very soon.

I haven't heard her make a noise yet - and schnauzers are famous for their "rooooo-roooooing" - chatty critters that they are. I am sure that it will be like when my son was a baby - couldn't wait for his first words and now I have visions of ball gags and duct tape LOL.

Bit
06-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I experimented with giving Troop the run of the house after we started moving furniture and stuff yesterday.... but I can't do it, I just cannot do it. *sheepish look* He's bored and he's curious... such a lethal combination in a half-grown puppy! I finally decided to just put the babygate in the doorway of the computer room and keep him in here with me. When I go back out into the dining room (we use it as our living room), I'll put it back in the other bedroom doorway like we had it before.

Sachita
06-13-2010, 03:46 PM
Yesterday, or was it the day before, my mind is still crazy... I had to put down one of my dogs that I had for 14 years. The whole week was like a haze and depressing because knew i had to do it but couldnt. I probably hung on too long but you know how that is.

I paced, I cried,I tossed and turned in my sleep. I adopted him when he was two, a rescue that had been dropped off in a remote area, the Adirondacks, to fend for himself. In a few weeks he learned to kill and hunt. He was a large akita named Bud. The vet call me begging me to take him. They had him a few months and needed to find a home or put him down. I said no. I then tossed and turned all night and finally they got me to come see him. I didnt think it would work with the dogs i already had, he was aggressive, but I also couldnt see him put down. I took him home kept him my garage and slowly brought him into my home.

I will never forget the time he tried to bite me and I threw myself on him, pinning him down. He was strong as hell and angry. I laid on top of him for 30 minutes until the fight was gone. He never did that again. Instead he became a loyal companion and we had an incredible journey together. He became a loved member of my family.

With him I had two other dogs that passed on due to health reasons. He hung in there and for the next 14 years he remained a faithful companion by my side. He was a cat killer and small animals but I knew this was something he learned to do living in the wild. Loving him along with so many other animals was a challenge but somehow it was worth it.

This past year he became frail and was hard to get up. We went for walks and I would look in his eyes and knew the time was near. I will never forget a night I went into his room, away from every other animals except his faithful, also rescued Wonder Dog... he laid his head in my lap, moaned and then gave me a serious look. Wonder Dog began to cry and whimper.

This past week I paced, He couldnt get up, pooped on his bed and i knew the day was getting close. Wonder Dog also paced and cried. One morning I wake up out of a dead sleep, it was 4 am and I found him stiff, unable to get up under a pile of poo. I crawled down onto the floor and held him. I looked in his eyes and although blind in one the other penetrated me and I knew it was time.

It has got to be the hardest thing in the world. that final journey. When you know you must say goodbye but you're just not ready... you're never ready. Part of you wants to step away and not see what will happen but another part of you knows that you MUST be there, say goodbye and hold him as he leaves this life. My nephew loaded him into the van. I cried the whole way there. I wrapped him in my comforter I had for 10 years, my scent. He laid there confused but knowing.

I held him in my arms as the vet came out to the van and gave him the injection. He looked at me. He starred and them his stare went blank. Some strange peace came over me. I couldnt even believe I did that but I did and then we wrapped him up in that green comforter and I brought him back to the farm where my nephew had a place for him.

Sometimes I go to feed him and remember he's gone. Sometimes I walk to the window and see the mound. I think about what flowers I'll plant there or how I can honor this big wonderful dog that brought so much love into my life. No matter how many animals I have or will ever have, there is a void, a sadness that is unparalleled to anything. No matter your beliefs of reincarnation and death, your hearts feels empty and the pain penetrates you. But then you have moments when you feel this great light flood over you and you realize that love, that unconditional love was worth every drop of pain.

My sweet handsome boy. I love you, miss you and know in my heart that one day I shall see you again.

Leigh
06-13-2010, 04:15 PM
Yesterday, or was it the day before, my mind is still crazy... I had to put down one of my dogs that I had for 14 years. The whole week was like a haze and depressing because knew i had to do it but couldnt. I probably hung on too long but you know how that is.

My sweet handsome boy. I love you, miss you and know in my heart that one day I shall see you again.

(((((((((((Sachita))))))))))) I'm very sorry to hear this hun, it had to have been so hard to put him down but I'm sure he is in a better place now (f)

Sachita
06-13-2010, 04:24 PM
(((((((((((Sachita))))))))))) I'm very sorry to hear this hun, it had to have been so hard to put him down but I'm sure he is in a better place now (f)

thank you so very much

TheBellyBionic
06-13-2010, 06:26 PM

Sounds like you should be calling the folks at Guinness:
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/homegarden/2008881827_zhom18oldestdog.html

Bit
06-14-2010, 08:36 PM
{{{{{{{{{{{{Sachita}}}}}}}}}}}}}} I am so sorry, honey. May you find peace.

christie
06-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Awwww, Sachita. I am SO sorry about your boy. I know when we spoke last week, you knew the time was near, but I wish you woulda called us so that you didnt have to do this alone.

I know you miss him and that your heart aches. Only time will ease.

Much love,
C

Sachita
06-21-2010, 05:45 PM
Awwww, Sachita. I am SO sorry about your boy. I know when we spoke last week, you knew the time was near, but I wish you woulda called us so that you didnt have to do this alone.

I know you miss him and that your heart aches. Only time will ease.

Much love,
C

Thank you. I know you guys would have come but I just needed a few days a lone to process. The weeks/months leading up to it was hard. I tried to ignore it and in the final few weeks it was impossible. I will miss him and talk to him each day but I'm also happy for our journey together.

Mitmo01
06-21-2010, 06:01 PM
Thank you. I know you guys would have come but I just needed a few days a lone to process. The weeks/months leading up to it was hard. I tried to ignore it and in the final few weeks it was impossible. I will miss him and talk to him each day but I'm also happy for our journey together.

Im so sorry for your loss, I know jsut how bad it hurts to lose a loved one like this....Hope you are doing well

kannon
05-25-2011, 04:24 PM
Thoughts on Big Dogs. I'm trying to decide on a large breed dog. I have 3 doxies and I need him or her to get along well with these little guys and gals. I thought about a mastiff but they slobber too much. Plus, a lot of people are intimidated by them. I've always liked chocolate labs. They are beautiful and so smart plus they get along well with others. I'm leaning in that direction. Any thoughts or suggestions regarding large breed dogs?

Gemme
05-25-2011, 09:35 PM
Standard poodles are super smart and can play with all sizes. I like Rottis and Dobies, but not everyone does and some places won't let you have them as are often on "vicious breed" lists. If you don't like drooling, stay away from all bully types. Irish setters are lovely as are wolfhounds. Great Danes are awesome too.

suebee
05-25-2011, 09:48 PM
Thoughts on Big Dogs. I'm trying to decide on a large breed dog. I have 3 doxies and I need him or her to get along well with these little guys and gals. I thought about a mastiff but they slobber too much. Plus, a lot of people are intimidated by them. I've always liked chocolate labs. They are beautiful and so smart plus they get along well with others. I'm leaning in that direction. Any thoughts or suggestions regarding large breed dogs?

I have Golden Retrievers and Australian Shepherds. Both very intelligent dogs. Both need to be occupied - because they're intelligent. :) Both are long-haired and require a certain amount of grooming. Love Labs, but like Goldens ("they're basically the same dog with different hair cuts" said a woman I know who bred them for forty years) they're really high energy, especially as pups. Count on a good two years of keeping up. Of course, there are LOADS of these dogs needing rescue - already beyond the puppy stage. www.petfinder.com You can search by breed or location. If you're interested in Goldens or Aussies, PM me. I'm crazy about both breeds!

kannon
05-25-2011, 10:37 PM
Standard poodles are super smart and can play with all sizes. I like Rottis and Dobies, but not everyone does and some places won't let you have them as are often on "vicious breed" lists. If you don't like drooling, stay away from all bully types. Irish setters are lovely as are wolfhounds. Great Danes are awesome too.

I forgot about the wolfhounds. Love them.

kannon
05-25-2011, 10:56 PM
I have Golden Retrievers and Australian Shepherds. Both very intelligent dogs. Both need to be occupied - because they're intelligent. :) Both are long-haired and require a certain amount of grooming. Love Labs, but like Goldens ("they're basically the same dog with different hair cuts" said a woman I know who bred them for forty years) they're really high energy, especially as pups. Count on a good two years of keeping up. Of course, there are LOADS of these dogs needing rescue - already beyond the puppy stage. www.petfinder.com You can search by breed or location. If you're interested in Goldens or Aussies, PM me. I'm crazy about both breeds!

If I decide on a Lab, I'm going to rescue him or her.

I love the Goldens and Aussies. However, the breeds with longer hair take some time and effort to groom. That could be a problem for me cause I don't even like grooming my own hair, hence the buzz cut. :mohawk:

DapperButch
05-26-2011, 05:12 PM
I think that Labs are sweet and so are Goldens. I don't know how Labs do with small dogs, but my 12lb Jack Russell was the boss of my g.f.'s 85 lb Golden. He was immediately submissive to my guy. They played great together, even if it looked a little weird!

You may want to PM, Toughy. She works at a doggie daycare, so I am sure she has all sorts of information about breeds being with other breeds. I bet she could help you out a great deal. She was very helpful to me in the past.

AtLast
05-26-2011, 05:49 PM
http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=969171733982&id=4199641c6f8f1016cc38cc442aea5702&url=http%3a%2f%2froyalpetclub.files.wordpress.com% 2f2010%2f04%2fmartha_stewart_french_bulldog1.jpg

My favorite breed.... and well, I have always had a thing for Martha!!!

And French Bulldog Rescue organizations exist.

kannon
05-26-2011, 06:03 PM
I like french bulldogs. Very cute.

DoReMiFemme
05-26-2011, 08:08 PM
Okay. This is totally off topic, but my dog has been in the vet since early Wednesday morning. They are getting ready to do exploratory surgery for a blockage in her intestines.

I am beside myself with worry.

'Anyone else had an experience like this? What were the results/findings?

On a side note, in relation to the previous posts in this thread, I would totally recommend rescuing a Yorkie from the pound or your local rescue. Not that I'm biased or anything. :)

Lynn
05-26-2011, 08:42 PM
I hope your dog does well with the surgery, and that the news is good. I haven't had that experience, but I just wanted to offer some support!

DoReMiFemme
05-26-2011, 08:44 PM
I hope your dog does well with the surgery, and that the news is good. I haven't had that experience, but I just wanted to offer some support!

Thank you so much!!!

lipstixgal
05-26-2011, 09:02 PM

I paced, I cried,I tossed and turned in my sleep. I adopted him when he was two, a rescue that had been dropped off in a remote area, the Adirondacks, to fend for himself. In a few weeks he learned to kill and hunt. He was a large akita named Bud. The vet call me begging me to take him. They had him a few months and needed to find a home or put him down. I said no. I then tossed and turned all night and finally they got me to come see him. I didnt think it would work with the dogs i already had, he was aggressive, but I also couldnt see him put down. I took him home kept him my garage and slowly brought him into my home.

I will never forget the time he tried to bite me and I threw myself on him, pinning him down. He was strong as hell and angry. I laid on top of him for 30 minutes until the fight was gone. He never did that again. Instead he became a loyal companion and we had an incredible journey together. He became a loved member of my family.

With him I had two other dogs that passed on due to health reasons. He hung in there and for the next 14 years he remained a faithful companion by my side. He was a cat killer and small animals but I knew this was something he learned to do living in the wild. Loving him along with so many other animals was a challenge but somehow it was worth it.

This past year he became frail and was hard to get up. We went for walks and I would look in his eyes and knew the time was near. I will never forget a night I went into his room, away from every other animals except his faithful, also rescued Wonder Dog... he laid his head in my lap, moaned and then gave me a serious look. Wonder Dog began to cry and whimper.

This past week I paced, He couldnt get up, pooped on his bed and i knew the day was getting close. Wonder Dog also paced and cried. One morning I wake up out of a dead sleep, it was 4 am and I found him stiff, unable to get up under a pile of poo. I crawled down onto the floor and held him. I looked in his eyes and although blind in one the other penetrated me and I knew it was time.

It has got to be the hardest thing in the world. that final journey. When you know you must say goodbye but you're just not ready... you're never ready. Part of you wants to step away and not see what will happen but another part of you knows that you MUST be there, say goodbye and hold him as he leaves this life. My nephew loaded him into the van. I cried the whole way there. I wrapped him in my comforter I had for 10 years, my scent. He laid there confused but knowing.

I held him in my arms as the vet came out to the van and gave him the injection. He looked at me. He starred and them his stare went blank. Some strange peace came over me. I couldnt even believe I did that but I did and then we wrapped him up in that green comforter and I brought him back to the farm where my nephew had a place for him.

Sometimes I go to feed him and remember he's gone. Sometimes I walk to the window and see the mound. I think about what flowers I'll plant there or how I can honor this big wonderful dog that brought so much love into my life. No matter how many animals I have or will ever have, there is a void, a sadness that is unparalleled to anything. No matter your beliefs of reincarnation and death, your hearts feels empty and the pain penetrates you. But then you have moments when you feel this great light flood over you and you realize that love, that unconditional love was worth every drop of pain.

Sorry for your lost I know its hard to lose an animal like that!! WE lost two cats last week one day apart from each other..

Mister Bent
05-26-2011, 09:08 PM

True story: My first dog-of-my-own (as in not a family dog) was a Standard Poodle. Sophie was my constant companion for 14 years, she finished grad school with me, moved across country a time or two, and ran alongside my horse everywhere. They're very athletic, extremely smart, and often quite goofy. The hair is decidedly a bit of work, but I was really glad to have a dog that didn't shed, and did her grooming myself (no pom poms).

After she died, I fostered a Bull Terrier for a while, and was involved with rescue, but I just couldn't bring myself to get another dog. Until James. (Insert shameless plug for my awesome mutt here).

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a293/mrbent/sundog.jpg

Toughy
05-26-2011, 09:13 PM
I think that Labs are sweet and so are Goldens. I don't know how Labs do with small dogs, but my 12lb Jack Russell was the boss of my g.f.'s 85 lb Golden. He was immediately submissive to my guy. They played great together, even if it looked a little weird!

You may want to PM, Toughy. She works at a doggie daycare, so I am sure she has all sorts of information about breeds being with other breeds. I bet she could help you out a great deal. She was very helpful to me in the past.

laughin...........yeah I can be helpful sometimes.....

First.............I highly highly recommend you get the dog from a shelter or a rescue group. The all american mutt is a great dog and you probably will be saving the dog's life if you get it from a shelter. I'm a big fan of shelter dogs.

You want to pick a dog that is compatible with your lifestyle. Any of the herding dogs are wicked smart and need LOTS of exercise. Since you have doxies, you may not want to get a puppy. And older dog might work better for you. It will be easier on the doxies and you......puppies are rambuctious and have to be potty trained.........and damn that is a pain in the butt ....laughin....

Talk to the folks at your local SPCA/Shelter. They can be very helpful about the temperament of the dogs in the shelter. Don't pick a dog just cuz you think it's cute.......

it's way fun picking a new member of your house.........do your homework. Pure breed larger dogs will many times have problems with hip dysplasia.

if you need more info you can ask here or as Dapper said..........PM me and we can talk further.........

Chancie
05-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Pete is in love with a little cat named Fiona.

Fiona roams the neighborhood, stopping to rub on ankles when it suits her.

She often trots behind her humans and her two fluffy dogs when they take their evening stroll. :sushi:

kannon
05-26-2011, 09:58 PM
Okay. This is totally off topic, but my dog has been in the vet since early Wednesday morning. They are getting ready to do exploratory surgery for a blockage in her intestines.

I am beside myself with worry.

'Anyone else had an experience like this? What were the results/findings?

On a side note, in relation to the previous posts in this thread, I would totally recommend rescuing a Yorkie from the pound or your local rescue. Not that I'm biased or anything. :)

Let us know how it goes with your little one. I'm sending some good energy her/his way.

kannon
05-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks Toughy. I looked on petfinder.com for some rescued choc. labs. I found one that really caught my attention. She's about a year old. They said she's great with other dogs and humans. I know she's crate trained. I have a doggie door and hardwood floors (easy cleanup) and a very large backyard. Anyway, I called and left a message.

I just wonder how all of these dogs would do on a camping excursion? My doxies want to hunt. I have to watch them like a hawk. They pick up a scent and their gone.

girl_dee
05-27-2011, 04:27 AM
Thanks Toughy. I looked on petfinder.com for some rescued choc. labs. I found one that really caught my attention. She's about a year old. They said she's great with other dogs and humans. I know she's crate trained. I have a doggie door and hardwood floors (easy cleanup) and a very large backyard. Anyway, I called and left a message.

I just wonder how all of these dogs would do on a camping excursion? My doxies want to hunt. I have to watch them like a hawk. They pick up a scent and their gone.

Camping by yourself or within a campground filled with others dogs? Thats could make a big difference.

Where I used to work dogs that came into the campground (which was filled with other people with dogs) made the dogs very confused and freaked out many times.

DapperButch
05-27-2011, 05:15 AM

My guy is like that. He is psycho. There are lots of rabbits in my neighborhood and he cries and pulls every time I take him out/take him for a walk wanting to chase the rabbits. The way he cries is like he is in emotional pain that I am not letting him run after them.

I really should have considered putting him in those Jack Russell races, he is so fast! He is almost 6 now though, so I am guessing there are Jacks a lot quicker than him!

P.S. I am so glad you are getting a rescue!

Nurse Darlin
05-27-2011, 06:55 AM
I love my Great Pyrenees. Goliath is 17 months old and is my big baby. BIG baby!! Lol. He is crate trained...we call it his "home". I say "Goliath, go home", and he goes to his crate. When the lights start to go off at night, I don't even have to say it anymore. He gets in his crate and waits for me to close it.

When I am home, he sits at my feel or lays beside my bed (after forcing his fuzzy head under my hand several times so I will pet him!) If he is not in his crate and I walk through the door after a long day at work, he meets me at the door and forces his head under my hand for a quick petting. The instant I sit, his head is on my lap for more petting (and his entire body if I would give him the chance!!)

I wouldn't trade my boy for anything! He is no different than one of my children!!!

femmedyke
05-27-2011, 07:37 AM
Sachita I'm thinking about you during this very difficult time. I know folks sometimes say how lucky our beloved pets are to have us, but really, we're so very lucky to have them in our lives.

When Piscean and I merged our little lives together we came out with some kind of Brady Bunch. I had three cats, she had three cats and a pup and as luck or fate or I don't know bleeding hearts would have it, together we rescued four more pets. Three more cats and another dog.

Our pups are both rescued wheaten mixes, Fossil (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thedivinemissm/5358119680/in/set-72157624204646880) came with Piscean and is a darling and stubborn Wheaten Lhasa mix. Atticus (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thedivinemissm/5349203048/in/set-72157624204646880/) is a wheaten poodle mix who is c-r-a-z-y but so very loving and sweet.

Our cats are all amazing, you would never even imagine how well (and clean) our household runs with eight cats. It is formerly nine, we just lost our beautiful 15 year old Petunia (http://thedivinemiss.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/toll-the-bells/) from cancer. We miss her very much; our sweet little tomboy girl, with her big red bell.

Caring for our brood is a part-time job but I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. We're also lucky that we both work for specialty and referral hospitals so we get a very large break on vet bills, medications, care.. etc. I think, of course this is the only way we could have this many pets. Five years ago I am not sure I would have considered chemotherapy for any of our pets, but with the access to the medical care chemotherapy gave Piscean and I two more beautiful, good months with Petunia. I'd do it in a heartbeat again.

Last night in the ER at work we had our very first 'overheated' dog. The owners have been leaving their 14 year old lab outside because she had been urinating in the house. Well, yesterday it was 96 degrees out and Brandy literally fried. She presented with a 105 temp (likely had been 107 before she came) and had to be euthanized. It was hard to feel sorry for the owners (the adults) but very, very sad for the 10 year old young man who kind of understood what had happened and was losing his best friend.

...So a very random and all over the place (typical for me) post, but thought I would share.

kannon
05-27-2011, 08:25 PM
Sachita I'm thinking about you during this very difficult time. I know folks sometimes say how lucky our beloved pets are to have us, but really, we're so very lucky to have them in our lives.

When Piscean and I merged our little lives together we came out with some kind of Brady Bunch. I had three cats, she had three cats and a pup and as luck or fate or I don't know bleeding hearts would have it, together we rescued four more pets. Three more cats and another dog.

Our pups are both rescued wheaten mixes, Fossil (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thedivinemissm/5358119680/in/set-72157624204646880) came with Piscean and is a darling and stubborn Wheaten Lhasa mix. Atticus (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thedivinemissm/5349203048/in/set-72157624204646880/) is a wheaten poodle mix who is c-r-a-z-y but so very loving and sweet.

Our cats are all amazing, you would never even imagine how well (and clean) our household runs with eight cats. It is formerly nine, we just lost our beautiful 15 year old Petunia (http://thedivinemiss.wordpress.com/2011/05/12/toll-the-bells/) from cancer. We miss her very much; our sweet little tomboy girl, with her big red bell.

Caring for our brood is a part-time job but I love it and wouldn't have it any other way. We're also lucky that we both work for specialty and referral hospitals so we get a very large break on vet bills, medications, care.. etc. I think, of course this is the only way we could have this many pets. Five years ago I am not sure I would have considered chemotherapy for any of our pets, but with the access to the medical care chemotherapy gave Piscean and I two more beautiful, good months with Petunia. I'd do it in a heartbeat again.

Last night in the ER at work we had our very first 'overheated' dog. The owners have been leaving their 14 year old lab outside because she had been urinating in the house. Well, yesterday it was 96 degrees out and Brandy literally fried. She presented with a 105 temp (likely had been 107 before she came) and had to be euthanized. It was hard to feel sorry for the owners (the adults) but very, very sad for the 10 year old young man who kind of understood what had happened and was losing his best friend.

...So a very random and all over the place (typical for me) post, but thought I would share.

I'm blessed cause all 3 of my dogs have good health. Maggie is 11, Miguel is 6 and Tyler is 3. Still, it cost a pretty penny for routine health care. Worth every penny though.

Maggie goes outside whenever she wants. I have a doggie door. She gets overheated when she stays out too long hunting. It was 105 today. She doesn't know when give it up. I've had to spray her with water a couple of times to get her temp down. I worry about her when I'm at work.

AtLast
05-27-2011, 09:22 PM
My French Bulldog has a floating patella on his right rear leg that has been acting up for about a month now. It takes forever to get this to calm down and "float" back to where it belongs. Of course, his wanting to jump off the sofa, tear around the dog park, and going up and down stairs does not help! He is on some medication, and it helps, but this is one of time taking things that is so hard with an active pooch. Who said Frenchies are couch potatos!! I now have ramps up for him in 2 places and he has to deal with just leash walks. He is not a happy little boy. I'm not so happy, either... I hope this is all that is going with him.

Sachita
05-28-2011, 06:03 AM

I have dogs I take care of (dog boarding) that I can let outside fencing off leash and they will stay right with me around the farm. I have others that I know will take off in a heartbeat. You can get a good sense when they are on a leash. Dogs that are very alert to their surroundings and excited over other animals will explore. Dogs that don't care about anything won't.

I could take my poodle and boxer camping anywhere. The only problem is Roscoe, the boxer is too friendly and very social. He doesnt know when to leave you a lone. His whole butt moves when he wags his tail. He has a severe underbite with teeth and tongue sticking out. Its hard for people to let him go.

kannon
05-28-2011, 09:19 AM
I have dogs I take care of (dog boarding) that I can let outside fencing off leash and they will stay right with me around the farm. I have others that I know will take off in a heartbeat. You can get a good sense when they are on a leash. Dogs that are very alert to their surroundings and excited over other animals will explore. Dogs that don't care about anything won't.

I could take my poodle and boxer camping anywhere. The only problem is Roscoe, the boxer is too friendly and very social. He doesnt know when to leave you a lone. His whole butt moves when he wags his tail. He has a severe underbite with teeth and tongue sticking out. Its hard for people to let him go.

Yeah, dogs have their own unique personalities. I know my oldest doxie is a true adventurer. She's brave. Fierce! I worry about taking her camping because she's only 11 lbs. We have lots of Bobcats here. A bobcat could seriously injure her. And, we have other dangerous predators. I'm torn because I know how much she loves to explore. I want to take her camping/hiking but.... I wouldn't worry so much with a larger dog that can defend him or herself.

PS. I saw a pic of Roscoe and he is quite the handsome dude.

AtLast
05-28-2011, 09:47 AM
I'm blessed cause all 3 of my dogs have good health. Maggie is 11, Miguel is 6 and Tyler is 3. Still, it cost a pretty penny for routine health care. Worth every penny though.

Maggie goes outside whenever she wants. I have a doggie door. She gets overheated when she stays out too long hunting. It was 105 today. She doesn't know when give it up. I've had to spray her with water a couple of times to get her temp down. I worry about her when I'm at work.

Routine health care and good food! There are some good studies showing that nutrition does prolong lifespan for our fur-kids.

yes, I understand over heating- I have had short-nosed dogs for years (Boxers & now my Frenchie) and even in a more mild climate, hot days can be very bad. Glad i don't live in some of the areas I did for years- all were very hot in summer. Big time air conditioning costs.

Toughy
05-28-2011, 11:30 AM
Things you can do when camping with doggies.........

run a line between 2 trees (bushs, staked to the ground, etc) that are close together (make sure you don't damage the tree bark), attach a 10-20 foot lead to the line and the doggie.....make sure you have fresh water in a bowl that the puppy can easily reach....they can get tangled up so keep an eye on them...

get a couple (or 3 or 4...however big you want it) of xpens attached to each other and make a dog enclosure....they come in various heights....remember to stablizethe pens in a couple of places so it doesn't fall down if they bump it and again lots of fresh water inside the pen.....

also if you live in poison oak or poison ivy country, you can get pet wipes for their coats that will remove the poison stuff.....ask at your local pet store (go to a locally owned one...only go to the pet express, petco if that's all that is available to you)

betenoire
05-28-2011, 11:42 AM
I have a question about cats who groom themselves bald.

When I brought Elphaba home she had lots of bald patches. Now, she was a rescue kitty and I know where she came from and it was a really bad neglect situation - so I attributed the bald patches to that. I figured they'd grow back in.

They didn't, and they got worse. Her entire belly is entirely bald (well, there's peach-fuzz/new growth hair but no real fur coat) as are the insides of her front legs. I've taken her to the vet and ruled out the regular stuff (no UTI, she's totally healthy, no fleas) and she isn't a stress bucket (she's actually the friendliest and most snuggly cat I've ever met) but for some reason she continues to lick herself bald. Her skin is fine and intact (no scabs or scars) so I'm not SUPER worried - but I do wish she'd stop because I always think she's going to get cold (drama).

I've seen her doing it several times, and it's just -really- hard grooming, no pulling or biting of the hair. When I've seen her doing it I've tried distracting her with love - but the truth is that I see her doing it very rarely. I think this is probably something that she does when I'm out of the apartment.

I figure it's an abandonment issue thing, because the person she was with before me would leave her locked out on the balcony and go away for weeks at a time (no food, no water, dirty litterbox, no love, nobody popping in to check on her) so she probably gets upset when I go to work. I've tried the feliway plug-in diffuser which is supposed to make cats feel calm and comfy...but it didn't help at all.

Is it -really- not a big deal (the vet says it's not, but I don't believe him)? Is there something else I can/should try?

Sachita
05-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Yeah, dogs have their own unique personalities. I know my oldest doxie is a true adventurer. She's brave. Fierce! I worry about taking her camping because she's only 11 lbs. We have lots of Bobcats here. A bobcat could seriously injure her. And, we have other dangerous predators. I'm torn because I know how much she loves to explore. I want to take her camping/hiking but.... I wouldn't worry so much with a larger dog that can defend him or herself.

PS. I saw a pic of Roscoe and he is quite the handsome dude.

Roscoe is the best dog in the world. Not too bright but I love him with all my heart. I found him at the dump several years ago. Someone dropped him off and drove away. I brought him back to the farm to find a home for him. He came into my laugh during a really tough time and made me laugh so hard I peed my pants. Needless to say, I found a home for him. lol

BIG ALERT - READ

I spray the grounds here with natural stuff and started long before tick season. I was down by the greenhouse and I somehow got a few ticks on me. One bite me on my base of my spine. A few days later I started to get sick, sore muscles, headache, sick sick. Today I'm sick and feel like crap. I have a faint rash but no doubt I have Rocky Mountain Spotted fever.

This year will be the worse for fleas and ticks. Even if you like in suburbs you should check for ticks. It's important to spray your yard. Check my blog for natural control www.farmgoddess.com - Remember tho... you can't spray one time and be done with it. You must spray every few weeks if you're using natural and more often if it's raining a lot. The products I suggest are not cheap BUT if you comb through the spray good and then spritz a little before they go outside the ticks and fleas won't even bother jumping on them. I do not use Frontline or the like on my dogs but I also work very hard to keep them flea and tick free.

You can also buy large bottle of essential oils like peppermint, lemongrass, rosemary, mix strong with a carrier oil. Rub it into their coats.

If you can get sick like this from a flea bite imagine how sick your fur baby can get.

Martina
05-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Given the things you have ruled out, it is most likely to be a grain allergy. Buy grain free food. i would bet money that within a week, you'll notice less grooming and in a few weeks the hair will be noticably thicker in those areas.

I have a question about cats who groom themselves bald.

When I brought Elphaba home she had lots of bald patches. Now, she was a rescue kitty and I know where she came from and it was a really bad neglect situation - so I attributed the bald patches to that. I figured they'd grow back in.

They didn't, and they got worse. Her entire belly is entirely bald (well, there's peach-fuzz/new growth hair but no real fur coat) as are the insides of her front legs. I've taken her to the vet and ruled out the regular stuff (no UTI, she's totally healthy, no fleas) and she isn't a stress bucket (she's actually the friendliest and most snuggly cat I've ever met) but for some reason she continues to lick herself bald. Her skin is fine and intact (no scabs or scars) so I'm not SUPER worried - but I do wish she'd stop because I always think she's going to get cold (drama).

I've seen her doing it several times, and it's just -really- hard grooming, no pulling or biting of the hair. When I've seen her doing it I've tried distracting her with love - but the truth is that I see her doing it very rarely. I think this is probably something that she does when I'm out of the apartment.

I figure it's an abandonment issue thing, because the person she was with before me would leave her locked out on the balcony and go away for weeks at a time (no food, no water, dirty litterbox, no love, nobody popping in to check on her) so she probably gets upset when I go to work. I've tried the feliway plug-in diffuser which is supposed to make cats feel calm and comfy...but it didn't help at all.

Is it -really- not a big deal (the vet says it's not, but I don't believe him)? Is there something else I can/should try?

betenoire
05-29-2011, 12:26 PM
Given the things you have ruled out, it is most likely to be a grain allergy. Buy grain free food. i would bet money that within a week, you'll notice less grooming and in a few weeks the hair will be noticably thicker in those areas.

Thanks, I'll give that a try. :)

Rockinonahigh
05-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Incase anyone may be intrested I have a friend who is giveing away two Jack Russel females,both are liver and white,had all theire shots,kennel broke,fat and great around people,both have been in the house but do better whan they can get out enough.The girls are about four years old and been togther since they were born.They are full blooded but she dosent have the papers but if new owner wants then she can get them.Both are liver and white in color,would split the pair but would rather not..must go to good loveing home.
Folks my friend is moveing but dosent have a fenced yard at the new place and with the work scedual both her and her hubby have there is no telling when they will have time to put up the fence.Anyone intrested give me a pm or post hear and I will check back.

AtLast
05-29-2011, 11:50 PM
The latest treatment options are just not working with my old cat, Luciano. I'm having a hard time with this even though I knew that his kidney failure would eventually bring me to this place. He has just really decline in the last couple of weeks and although still eating, losing weight. I'm going to switch to another brand of Rx kidney cat food- but I just don't feel good about him.

Brining him in for another check with the vet on Tuesday. I hate it that finances do have an impact on what I can and cannot do for him. I have to consider the well being of 2 other pets, one of which is having some problems, too.

Glenn
09-27-2011, 05:01 PM
Is there a furkid lawyer here on the planet, or someone who knows about setting up trust funds for furbabies?

apretty
09-27-2011, 05:28 PM
I know what I want for my birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://babyanimalz.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/Panda+Twins+Born+Protection+Research+Centre+getty. jpg

Inuus
09-27-2011, 06:08 PM
You better have a lot of land and live in a climate that is friendly to bamboo ;)

DapperButch
10-02-2011, 03:00 PM
Incase anyone may be intrested I have a friend who is giveing away two Jack Russel females,both are liver and white,had all theire shots,kennel broke,fat and great around people,both have been in the house but do better whan they can get out enough.The girls are about four years old and been togther since they were born.They are full blooded but she dosent have the papers but if new owner wants then she can get them.Both are liver and white in color,would split the pair but would rather not..must go to good loveing home.
Folks my friend is moveing but dosent have a fenced yard at the new place and with the work scedual both her and her hubby have there is no telling when they will have time to put up the fence.Anyone intrested give me a pm or post hear and I will check back.

Rockin- I didn't see this post before. What ever happened to these dogs?

Sachita
10-02-2011, 03:21 PM
I have an awesome full blooded bloodhound named Bridget. 5 years old, very smart, affectionate, fixed and potty trained. We are fostering her. The owners want to surrender her to the pound.

In live in southern va.

inbox me or email tamara@farmgoddess.com

Rockinonahigh
10-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Rockin- I didn't see this post before. What ever happened to these dogs?

My friend couldnt part with them,than last week one of them was found dead in the yard,the vet said it may have had a heart attack.She stil has all the rest of her fur kids tho.I will be glad when they finaly fence the yard in so the outside dogs can really play insted of being in a kennel dureing the day.

DapperButch
10-02-2011, 08:38 PM
My friend couldnt part with them,than last week one of them was found dead in the yard,the vet said it may have had a heart attack.She stil has all the rest of her fur kids tho.I will be glad when they finaly fence the yard in so the outside dogs can really play insted of being in a kennel dureing the day.

Heart attack? Crap.

Not to sound too blunt, but you said the dogs were overweight. Perhaps your friend should consider cutting back on the snacks and reduce their food intake.

People don't realize that obesity in a dog is just as dangerous as it is in humans. Jack Russells typically live 13-15 years and you said your friend's dog was only about 4 years old.

I actually considered writing a post today about the dangers of overweight pets, but I worried about people being offended by it. We love them, but we shouldn't love them with food. Also, dogs must be walked for health. Having a large yard is no different from us just walking around during the day. Dogs need regular, focused exercise, just like we do. Our dogs rely on us to keep them healthy because they cannot make that choice for themselves.

I am very sorry for your friend, his/her heart must be breaking. :( I am sure it is hard for that dog's sibling too.

Thanks for the update. I am a Jack Russell person, so I was curious.

DapperButch
10-29-2011, 06:05 PM
I hate puppy mills. So, it always pleases me to see another go out of business. This particular woman was arrested in 2004, but charges were dropped when her husband was convicted. I suppose they saw her as being a victim herself of a husband who kept dogs in horrible conditions. :seeingstars:

118 dogs total were taken from the woman's land. All small breeds, of course. Smaller dogs take up less real estate. More producing dogs = more cash, don't cha know. Assholes. Like I said, I hate puppy mills.

If you MUST have a puppy (instead of an adult dog rescue), visit the breeder. Lots of pretty sites on the internet are actually puppy mills. Know your breeder.

http://www.aspca.org/news/kentucky-woman-charged-in-puppy-mill-case-neglected-dogs-receiving-care

Kentucky Woman Charged in Puppy Mill Case; Neglected Dogs Receiving Care

The ASPCA is committed to puppy mill victims like this one, rescued in Holly Springs, MS, in 2010.

Earlier this month, News Alert reported that the ASPCA Field Investigations and Response Team was on the ground in Rowan County, Kentucky, caring for more than 100 dogs rescued from a puppy mill. Soon after, the owner of those dogs, Patricia Blevins, was arrested. She now faces a whopping 46 counts of animal cruelty.

Blevins, 58, was arrested on October 19 and spent a night in jail before being released on bail. She is charged with 46 counts of misdemeanor animal cruelty and one count of kennel mismanagement related to keeping more than 100 dogs in overcrowded conditions outside her mobile home in Morehead.

"The ASPCA commends the Rowan County Attorney's Office for taking swift action in pursuing this case," says Kyle Held, ASPCA Midwest Director of Field Investigations and Response. "We're pleased that they're treating the issue of puppy mills with the seriousness it deserves."

This isn’t Blevins’ first time in court for animal cruelty; she was reportedly charged with the crime in 2004, but the charges against her were dropped when her husband was convicted.

Says Held: “We hope that justice is served so the dogs can move on toward a better life soon."

Because the dogs are part of an ongoing criminal investigation, they are not yet available for adoption, but they are already worlds away from the unsanitary and claustrophobic conditions they lived in before their rescue. Today, they are being cared for by ASPCA responders and volunteers from Red Rover and other organizations, receiving veterinary care, treats, toys and loads of human kindness.

Last week, to help make room for the puppy mill victims, the ASPCA transported 27 dogs from the Rowan County Humane Society to Capital Area Humane Society in Columbus, Ohio, and St. Hubert’s Animal Welfare Center in Madison, New Jersey.

Stay tuned to ASPCA.org for more on this developing case. To find out how you can fight puppy mills, please visit www.nopetstorepuppies.com.

Rockinonahigh
11-04-2011, 03:04 PM
As some of u may have read my pug went into cluster epileptic sesures wensday,I ended up keeping her at the vets till this after noon as she had gone 24 hours with out an sesure.So now begains the time its going to take to help her heal the rest of he way.I do hope I have the grit to deal with this,when I went to see her at the vets today she hadnt eaten much but when I got there she ate a good bit of food plus drank some water.SHe may have had astroke with all that she went thrue,she has probs with her right back leg but dose getup and walk around,dose eat and drink.Since she has been home she has been up a lot walking at will ,we went out in the yard where she was very active.Floks im scared shitless,right now im dead tired I aslo forgot to eat so my sugar went a bit wacky till I ate a pnb sandwich,for the moment all is holding.If there is any advice out there please let me know,im trying not to stress but I think its gonna happen sooner or later preferably not at all.

DapperButch
11-04-2011, 03:31 PM
As some of u may have read my pug went into cluster epileptic sesures wensday,I ended up keeping her at the vets till this after noon as she had gone 24 hours with out an sesure.So now begains the time its going to take to help her heal the rest of he way.I do hope I have the grit to deal with this,when I went to see her at the vets today she hadnt eaten much but when I got there she ate a good bit of food plus drank some water.SHe may have had astroke with all that she went thrue,she has probs with her right back leg but dose getup and walk around,dose eat and drink.Since she has been home she has been up a lot walking at will ,we went out in the yard where she was very active.Floks im scared shitless,right now im dead tired I aslo forgot to eat so my sugar went a bit wacky till I ate a pnb sandwich,for the moment all is holding.If there is any advice out there please let me know,im trying not to stress but I think its gonna happen sooner or later preferably not at all.

Hi, Rockin'. I am so sorry this happened to your Pug. I'm sorry I don't have any advice beyond just asking your Vet what they reccomend if it happens again. Did they send you home with any medication or give you any information?

Hang in there. I would be stressed out too.

Rockinonahigh
11-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Hi, Rockin'. I am so sorry this happened to your Pug. I'm sorry I don't have any advice beyond just asking your Vet what they reccomend if it happens again. Did they send you home with any medication or give you any information?

Hang in there. I would be stressed out too.

Yes,the vet sent her home with antisesure meds to take twice a day,The vet and I spoke at length about her ablity to recover he said as long as she eats,drinks and stays active she should contenue to get better,now much better I have no idea.What worries me is her sight cause I know she can see but how well I dont know,her hearing is still good.Im just takeing it one day at the time plus takeing care of my own health issues stress dosent help.

DapperButch
11-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Yes,the vet sent her home with antisesure meds to take twice a day,The vet and I spoke at length about her ablity to recover he said as long as she eats,drinks and stays active she should contenue to get better,now much better I have no idea.What worries me is her sight cause I know she can see but how well I dont know,her hearing is still good.Im just takeing it one day at the time plus takeing care of my own health issues stress dosent help.

All you can do is hope, pray (if you pray), take care of her and take care of you. Take her on daily walks for activity. Hopefully, as each day passes and she does ok you will be able to relax and worry less.

lipstixgal
11-04-2011, 04:37 PM
We have three dogs, two JaCK rUSSels and one Jackchi!!

Rockinonahigh
11-04-2011, 05:30 PM
All you can do is hope, pray (if you pray), take care of her and take care of you. Take her on daily walks for activity. Hopefully, as each day passes and she does ok you will be able to relax and worry less.

Hi Dapper,yeah she was pretty active when she got home,then she pooped out and is now sleeping.After I had supper I scooped up three full table spoons of ground beef pedigree dog food for her ,some she ate on her own some she ate cause I put it in her mouth and said ..swallow,then I got 15cc's of water down her buy gently squirting some in her mouth then she licked the rest up.Not eating isnt an option at the moment,tomorrow im going to se if any liquid vitimins will help.

SF_Boi
11-07-2011, 05:30 PM
OMG! I just finished four days of bunny chasing with the Bassett Hound club. Happy, tired, no ribbons, but happy! My little girl was so pre-occupied with other things, but the most importantly she had so much fun. Don't worry, we only follow the scent of the rabbits because Bassett's are scent hounds not sight hounds. Would want to ruffle anyone's feathers.

Can't wait till the next field trails!

Rockinonahigh
11-07-2011, 06:53 PM
Looks like I may need to get another furkid sooner or later,my other furkid is jack russel/poodle cross,since my pug passed she is sort of lost wich is normal so im giveing her a chanch to ajust.But only time will tell.

DapperButch
11-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Looks like I may need to get another furkid sooner or later,my other furkid is jack russel/poodle cross,since my pug passed she is sort of lost wich is normal so im giveing her a chanch to ajust.But only time will tell.

I was sorry to read this in the other thread, Rockin. I know it must be very painful. I am very sorry for your loss.

A side thought, what about taking your friend's other jack russell? Both have lost a buddy. Maybe it would be a good for them both.

Inuus
11-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Just in case anyone is interested

Tune into the first annual American Humane Association Hero Dog Awards™ presented by cesar® canine cuisine broadcast this Friday, November 11 at 8pm/ 7 central on Hallmark Channel!

Don’t miss this star-studded event, honoring the eight finalist dogs from each category- Law Enforcement/Arson, Service, Therapy, Military, Guides, Search and Rescue, Hearing, and Emerging Hero Dogs – and watch as American Humane Association proudly announces the top American Hero Dog for 2011!

http://www.herodogawards.org/

Rockinonahigh
11-10-2011, 11:45 PM
I was sorry to read this in the other thread, Rockin. I know it must be very painful. I am very sorry for your loss.

A side thought, what about taking your friend's other jack russell? Both have lost a buddy. Maybe it would be a good for them both.

Hi Dapper
I thought about takeing the other russel but they said she has a cough wich may be heart worms..may be what happened to the other pup.But I have friend who has a 13 pound mixed breed terrier that is healthy,house broken,cute ,frendly ect that I hope will work out.Its a female so I will need to get her spayed wich isnt a prob.I ask why she want to get ride of her.Caroylin said she had 5 dogs in the house, besides she knows I will take care of her other wise she would keep her.Next week she is going to bring her by to meet Rowdy and hopefuly they will be ok.She would do it sooner but she is going on a short trip.
Rockin

DapperButch
12-26-2011, 05:57 PM
Hi Dapper
I thought about takeing the other russel but they said she has a cough wich may be heart worms..may be what happened to the other pup.But I have friend who has a 13 pound mixed breed terrier that is healthy,house broken,cute ,frendly ect that I hope will work out.Its a female so I will need to get her spayed wich isnt a prob.I ask why she want to get ride of her.Caroylin said she had 5 dogs in the house, besides she knows I will take care of her other wise she would keep her.Next week she is going to bring her by to meet Rowdy and hopefuly they will be ok.She would do it sooner but she is going on a short trip.
Rockin

Hi, Rockin. I'm sorry, I didn't see this until now. Did you get the dog your friend was bringing by?

DapperButch
12-26-2011, 05:59 PM
What a sick creep.

Click on the link for the Sacramento Bee for a more thorough story (be aware more thorough means more information on the specific abuse).

I am so glad the jerk got 10 years! If I can get the judge's contact information I am going to write him to thank him!

http://www.newser.com/story/136162/s...-10-years.html

(Newser) – A wheelchair-bound California parolee has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for sexually assaulting an eight-month-old Chihuahua. He must also register as a sex offender in what could be the first such requirement in an animal abuse case. Robert Edward De Shields was renting space in a Sacramento house when the homeowners returned to find him with their Chihuahua, Shadow, "in pain and shock," reports the Los Angeles Times. A veterinarian examined the Chihuahua, and discovered the dog had suffered severe damage to its internal organs.

Shadow survived following surgery, according to the Sacramento Bee. The dog is currently being cared for in a foster home. "Shadow is a victim in every sense of the word," the new owner told the judge. The dog is extraordinarily fearful of men, "like many victims of sexual assault," she said, and may never fully recover from its physical wounds.

Glenn
12-26-2011, 06:39 PM
%/#&!%*! I wish I could punch him in the face and keep punching until I can feel his brains squishing through my fingers%/#&!%!*

starryeyes
12-26-2011, 07:13 PM
O.M.F.G :furious:

AtLast
12-26-2011, 07:49 PM
I don't even have the words..

lettertodaddy
12-27-2011, 12:15 AM
This is Ella.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6109/6418029317_bc01e7f45e.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cecily/6418029317/)
Ella (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cecily/6418029317/) by cecily (http://www.flickr.com/people/cecily/), on Flickr

She was being taken care of by a family who took her in after her original owners moved and left her behind. The family -- especially the father -- really wanted to keep her, but she just didn't get along with the other cats in the household as she was used to being the dominant cat.

I found her on Craigslist of all places, spotted her only 30 minutes after the owner placed the adoption ad. I saw her profile on a Friday, and took her home on a Sunday. She's been living with me a month now. It was rough going at first - we both had to go through an adjustment period - but now I'm so happy I have her in my life. :)

Here's another photo of her, giving what I call her Popeye face:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7143/6536159715_4d11f07fcf.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cecily/6536159715/)
i think i should change her name to popeye (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cecily/6536159715/) by cecily (http://www.flickr.com/people/cecily/), on Flickr

mustangjeano
12-27-2011, 12:30 AM
This is Ella.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6109/6418029317_bc01e7f45e.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cecily/6418029317/)
Ella (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cecily/6418029317/) by cecily (http://www.flickr.com/people/cecily/), on Flickr

She was being taken care of by a family who took her in after her original owners moved and left her behind. The family -- especially the father -- really wanted to keep her, but she just didn't get along with the other cats in the household as she was used to being the dominant cat.

I found her on Craigslist of all places, spotted her only 30 minutes after the owner placed the adoption ad. I saw her profile on a Friday, and took her home on a Sunday. She's been living with me a month now. It was rough going at first - we both had to go through an adjustment period - but now I'm so happy I have her in my life. :)

Here's another photo of her, giving what I call her Popeye face:

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7143/6536159715_4d11f07fcf.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cecily/6536159715/)
i think i should change her name to popeye (http://www.flickr.com/photos/cecily/6536159715/) by cecily (http://www.flickr.com/people/cecily/), on Flickr

She is very pretty and one lucky kitty. So glad you are giving her a second chance in life.

DapperButch
01-01-2012, 09:00 PM
There is some lighting in my neighborhood, but generally, it is pretty dark at night.

When I take my dog for a walk, I often put a blinking light on him as we have some people who drive pretty quickly around the corners.

I do feel bad for the poor guy when we come upon another dog, though. My dog looks back at me like, Dad, quit making me look like a wuss with this light on! Does that dog have a light on? NO, he doesn't! :huhlaugh:

Rockinonahigh
01-01-2012, 10:47 PM
I've been looking for a new fur kid for my family,since my pug passed a couple of months ago my other fur kid has been lonely.But dayum its hard to find anything thats not a humongous fur child not to mention the adoption prices on some pups and others is almost as high as me just outright buying a regesterd pup,tomorrow im going to the local city shelter and see whats there.

Electrocell
01-02-2012, 12:25 AM
What a sick creep.

Click on the link for the Sacramento Bee for a more thorough story (be aware more thorough means more information on the specific abuse).

I am so glad the jerk got 10 years! If I can get the judge's contact information I am going to write him to thank him!

http://www.newser.com/story/136162/s...-10-years.html

(Newser) – A wheelchair-bound California parolee has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for sexually assaulting an eight-month-old Chihuahua. He must also register as a sex offender in what could be the first such requirement in an animal abuse case. Robert Edward De Shields was renting space in a Sacramento house when the homeowners returned to find him with their Chihuahua, Shadow, "in pain and shock," reports the Los Angeles Times. A veterinarian examined the Chihuahua, and discovered the dog had suffered severe damage to its internal organs.

Shadow survived following surgery, according to the Sacramento Bee. The dog is currently being cared for in a foster home. "Shadow is a victim in every sense of the word," the new owner told the judge. The dog is extraordinarily fearful of men, "like many victims of sexual assault," she said, and may never fully recover from its physical wounds.

That's just sick. I hope he get's what he did to that poor puppy done to him in prison.

SmoothButch
01-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Just read this today and wanted to share...

It was on Fox news earlier (01/16/12) that 70 dogs have died as a result of eating chicken jerky treats made from chicken that has come from China. "Kingdom Pets" brand from Costco is one of them. Also certain "Blue Buffalo" brand pet foods have a recall for the same thing.

Please re-post and make sure all your doggie friends are aware of this.

SoNotHer
01-21-2012, 12:15 PM
My ex found this story today and donated to the shelter taking care of this pit bull used as a "baiter" dog, as my Cordelia was. The picture is graphic, and the story is very disturbing. But if you can spare some money for Ava, you'd be doing something special for a little girl who's been to hell and back -

http://www.noahs-arks.net/RESCUE/AVA.html

starryeyes
01-21-2012, 12:26 PM
So, yesterday I stepped on my ferret. He was hiding under a blanket... And wham. I heard a cracking sound and freaked out. I lifted up the blanket and saw his legs and tail but he wasn't moving. I ran into my backyard terrified and freaked out and called P. She told me to go inside and check under the blanket and bring him to the vet. I was SO traumatized, but I walked into my room expecting the worse.. And he was walking around my room, fine. I picked him up, held him, cried and felt every inch of his body. I KNOW I heard a crack... But he is fine. He was playing with his toys, eating and drinking. This morning, I checked him again and felt his body. Totally normal. So weird!!!!!!!! I am so glad he is ok, I really thought I killed him. One of the most awful moment of my life. I am keeping my floors CLEAR from now on.... Little buggar!!!

Greyson
01-21-2012, 12:52 PM
I am just becoming more aware of the other little creatures like ferrets, rats, mice, gerbels because now I am the co-parent of two rats. When I am at home and the ratties are having their play time outside of their cage, I am usually looking at the floor before I take a step. I was fortunate, the rat was okay after I stepped on her tail.

Glad to hear both you and your ferret are okay.

Daktari
01-21-2012, 01:03 PM
There is some lighting in my neighborhood, but generally, it is pretty dark at night.

When I take my dog for a walk, I often put a blinking light on him as we have some people who drive pretty quickly around the corners.

I do feel bad for the poor guy when we come upon another dog, though. My dog looks back at me like, Dad, quit making me look like a wuss with this light on! Does that dog have a light on? NO, he doesn't! :huhlaugh:

As a cyclist who rides on some poorly lit roads and shared ped/cycle paths, I appreciate the responsible owners who put lights on their dogs when it's dark, particularly on these very long winter evenings. They're usually the owners who make sure their dogs are safely out of the way as I barrel past. The other owners seem to expect me to be responsible for the safety of their animals by having them unlit and off the lead.

On a lighter note...look what I have to put up with!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/th_IMG_1002.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/?action=view&current=IMG_1002.jpg)

Deborah
01-21-2012, 01:50 PM
My ex found this story today and donated to the shelter taking care of this pit bull used as a "baiter" dog, as my Cordelia was. The picture is graphic, and the story is very disturbing. But if you can spare some money for Ava, you'd be doing something special for a little girl who's been to hell and back -

http://www.noahs-arks.net/RESCUE/AVA.html

This makes me hate people. I'm sorry.

DapperButch
01-21-2012, 02:19 PM
As a cyclist who rides on some poorly lit roads and shared ped/cycle paths, I appreciate the responsible owners who put lights on their dogs when it's dark, particularly on these very long winter evenings. They're usually the owners who make sure their dogs are safely out of the way as I barrel past. The other owners seem to expect me to be responsible for the safety of their animals by having them unlit and off the lead.

On a lighter note...look what I have to put up with!

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/th_IMG_1002.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/?action=view&current=IMG_1002.jpg)

Oh, yeah. He is a small guy, so if on a path (even in daylight), I pick him up and step off the trail. Then again, as you know, I am a cyclist! :D

Vlasta
01-21-2012, 02:41 PM
This makes me hate people. I'm sorry.

Deb ,

I so agree with you and I am not sorry . In the state of GA they busted so many people thanks to a tip line and a new law . I posted somewhere that people that moved next door to me have a pit bull in the cage and on chain in cage . Poor dog he/she was so vicious when I stepped outside of my house, hence I felt so sorry for him/her . It was obvious that these people trained him/her to be vicious for they benefit .
It's so common here in the south to dog fighting . Michael Vicks had house in my subdivision , what else is there to say .

My friend brother of so many years , was second behind M Vick and I had no clue since he had many acres in Charleston , SC and in his house you wouldn't know . He finally got busted and was in a prison for six years . what is six years for torturing animals ? equals not a thing . Originally he was sentenced to 40 yrs which to me was right , but since they have a lot of money and governor of SC made sure he was out .
It's sickening what money can do and this guy it's back to normal life driving Corvette and living high since he must stash money somewhere . I cut ties with a whole family , because it's sickening to me . You can look at up on Internet his name it's David Tant since this it's true story .

I myself can't stand mean and greedy people using animals to acquire wealth . I want to give to people in need when I can . Don't be sorry , it's right thing to do .

Vlasta
01-21-2012, 02:47 PM
That's just sick. I hope he get's what he did to that poor puppy done to him in prison.

I don't even know what to say . Sick !!!!!

Logicaly
01-22-2012, 02:11 AM
Just jumping in here, I have 3 amazing fur babies, all cats, two females, and a male. Nyx, Hemera, and Tigger. Tigger is the baby of Nyx and Hemera because Nyx was supposed to be a female originally, but instead knocked up Hemera right before he was neutered. In the house though, we also have a boa which belongs to my girl, hes 5 feet long and his name is Kitten.

We are looking to add a pit to the mix, but due to my male cat being an extreme alpha male and very territorial when it comes to animals larger than him (around dogs his size, he has no issues, its dogs bigger than him he will attack), we have to get a female, and it has to be a puppy as young as possible in order to hopefully get him to adapt to it as it grows.

SoNotHer
01-25-2012, 12:47 AM
http://www.change.org/petitions/justice-for-the-cats-of-whiskerville-animal-sanctuary

Do not allow Wydell Dixon to own/operate an animal rescue again and revoke her permits.

Greetings,

I just signed the following petition addressed to: City of Texas City

----------------
Do not allow Wydell Dixon to own/operate an animal rescue again and revoke her permits.

Having run this rescue for 12 years, Dixon had the knowledge that it was impossible for one employee to care for 200 cats on a daily basis. It takes a dedicated team to run the daily operations of a rescue. Furthermore, it takes the support of the community to donate, volunteer, & adopt. Dixon did not have enough support from the community before this tragedy and will now have even less, which is key in being successful.

She has demonstrated to our community that she can not properly, safely, & successfully run an animal rescue. There is no excuse for this senseless tragedy that could have been prevented. These cats were in the care of Dixon and ultimately her responsibility. Not only should her permits be revoked, she should also be charged with animal cruelty.

I am asking that you do not allow Wydell Dixon to own/operate an animal rescue again and to revoke her permits.
----------------

Sincerely,

[Your name]

Why This Is Important

*UPDATE* As of 1/18/2012 Wydell Dixon and her employee have been charged with animal cruelty. On 1/17/2012 Judge Sonny James ruled that the state would keep custody of the cats. Dixon and her lawyer are appealing.

Wydell Dixon had the doors to her animal rescue, Whiskerville Animal Sanctuary in Texas City, TX. forced open on 1/3/2012, after animal control officers received complaints of neglect. The officers discovered 27 dead cats that had starved to death and 168 live cats that survived this horrible case of neglect.

*Update* As of 1/13/2012 there have been 18 more cats found alive since the initial raid on 1/3/2012. Total number of rescued cats is now 186.

These articles go into further detail.

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/283486

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/283858

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/283994

http://galvestondailynews.com/story/284582

Here is a link to the Whiskerville Animal Sanctuary Raid Texas City. Please like the page and share. Thanx!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Whiskerville-Animal-Sanctuary-Raid-Texas-City/28684625802972

http://www.change.org/petitions/justice-for-the-cats-of-whiskerville-animal-sanctuary

DapperButch
01-25-2012, 06:26 AM
Thank you for posting this, SoNotHer!

Electrocell
01-26-2012, 11:40 PM
I feel guilty of leaving my 6 kitties and my dog while I'm on the road . I know they miss me cause they won't leave me alone once I'm home lol. At least I have a good friend that I pay to care for them while I'm gone . She's a real animal lover too.

Novelafemme
02-06-2012, 11:07 AM
I have a cat question for my fellow kitty lovers out there!

So, when my ex-husband and I split up six + years ago, I moved out with my dog and he kept our cats...there were five of them at the time. Then his now wife moved in with her two dogs who HATED cats and two of the kitties left home. They were two brothers who I adopted as adults from the Humane Society and they were just incredible. Roofus was skinny and mouthy and Aiken was fat and sweet. Anyway, so it's been 6+ years since I've seen them and Saturday when I dropped my girls off at their dad's house I happened to look up at the roof of the daycare across the street and there was Aiken, laying on the roof in the sun! I quickly pulled into the parking lot and went around to the front of the daycare and called his name. He looked at me for a few minutes and then started to make his way toward me. I was so happy and completely shocked that he remembered me! He ended up practically jumping into my arms, rolling around in my lap, and purring like a mad man! I tried to pick him up in order to get him into the car but he got scared and ran away. I coaxed him back by sitting on the ground and talking softly to him.

So here's my question...other than being dirty he looks to be in really good shape *except* for a horrible case of ear mites. So bad in fact that his right ear has a large hematoma on it, probably from him scratching at the mites. I can't bring him to my house for a couple of reasons...the primary one being that Katy is allergic to cats. If we kept him as an outdoor kitty I'm afraid he would be lunch for one of the numerous bobcats and/or coyotes that live around us. So, my thinking is to do one of two things: 1. somehow catch and crate him and get him to a vet, then either let him go again at the daycare or turn him over to a no-kill shelter, or 2. try to treat his ears homeopathically when I visit him at the daycare and just leave him be.

He has managed for nearly seven years on his own and I would hate to see him in a dinky cage for the rest of his life. He's already 9 years old and with all the cute kittens being born right now I'm not sure he'd have a good shot at being adopted.

Thoughts, advice? Please, no judgement. I am a HUGE animal lover and do the very best I can for not just my own pets but animals everywhere. Thanks in advance.

Glenn
02-06-2012, 05:23 PM
If Aiken was my furbaby and acted like that after six years, I would do this:

1. Talk to my ex and ask if he's seen him.
2. I would not take him to a shelter. Our furkids are pretty smart at finding a shelter on their own. I would definitely feed him there regularly.
3. I do not know what kind of house you live in, but if it's an apartment forget taking him home with you. If you live in a house, maybe you can isolate him away from Katy in the night time and leave him out in the day where he can see the coyotes better? The coyotes around here only bother the kittens they never bother my older cats because I feed the coyotes too lol! They even eat together.
4. I'm not sure, but I think there are cat allergy meds out there.
5. If all of the above won't work for you, take him to a vet so they can treat the ear and give him a shot,then take him back to the daycare and hide some food for him nearby. I would visit my poor furbaby there and feed him as regularly as I could.

Novelafemme
02-07-2012, 08:06 AM
If Aiken was my furbaby and acted like that after six years, I would do this:

1. Talk to my ex and ask if he's seen him.
2. I would not take him to a shelter. Our furkids are pretty smart at finding a shelter on their own. I would definitely feed him there regularly.
3. I do not know what kind of house you live in, but if it's an apartment forget taking him home with you. If you live in a house, maybe you can isolate him away from Katy in the night time and leave him out in the day where he can see the coyotes better? The coyotes around here only bother the kittens they never bother my older cats because I feed the coyotes too lol! They even eat together.
5. If all of the above won't work for you, take him to a vet so they can treat the ear and give him a shot,then take him back to the daycare and hide some food for him nearby. I would visit my poor furbaby there and feed him as regularly as I could.

Hi Glenn.

I've been tossing around all of your suggestions, as well as many from other friends. I really appreciate the advice!

I have talked to my ex many, many times regarding the kitties. He leaves food out for the one remaining cat and so we are assuming that is where Aiken gets the bulk of his food from. When I was at Trader Joe's on Sunday I bought several cans of wet cat food and some nutritional supplements for him and then stopped by the day care and left the food with some powdered vitamins mixed in on the walk way for him. He didn't come around when I called for him, though.

I put our pet carrier in the back of my car so in the event I am able to catch him I can transport him to the vet safely. I called three vet offices yesterday and none of them will take him without an appointment already in place so I will have to bring him home to my house during the interim.

I'm working on finding him a home and hopefully that will come together quickly. It's not so much the coyotes here as it is the bobcats. I watched one make a meal for herself and two kitts out of a big fluffy white kitty and it wasn't pretty. At least down by my ex's house there aren't any bobcats.

I live in a big house but having Aiken here is not doable. It was an agreement I made with my partner when we moved in together and I need to honor her request to not have cats. We also have two dogs, a ferret, three rats, and four birds.

Sachita
02-07-2012, 08:43 AM
Cats are very smart and survivors. Once a cat adapts to the wild its very hard to take them out of that environment. Although I am allergic to cats I have a few rescues that were once feral kittens. If kittens are found and the mother missing we will bring them in, however an adult cat is captured for spay or neutering then released back to the area they were captured. People do feed them but there is also a big rat/mouse/rabbit population here. It's far healthier for them to eat rodents then most of the cat foods available. Pet foods will harm animals quicker then anything else and in the shelters they feed really cheap food because its what they can afford.

The mites are a problem. He could have health issues which would make mites worse.

I wish I could be more helpful but the truth is he is probably better off where he is, just check on him and if possible take him to the vet or at the very least treat the mites. I would see if someone in the neighborhood would also help feed and check on him. There are lots of great herbs cats will eat that you can put in food to help build immunity.

DapperButch
02-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Cats are very smart and survivors. Once a cat adapts to the wild its very hard to take them out of that environment. Although I am allergic to cats I have a few rescues that were once feral kittens. If kittens are found and the mother missing we will bring them in, however an adult cat is captured for spay or neutering then released back to the area they were captured.

I knew a young couple whose cat somehow got out of their apartment. They went crazy looking for her, you have no idea the lengths they went to. Anyway, the girl finally came upon the cat about 3 weeks after the cat had left, in this field/wooded kind of area behind the couple's apartment complex. The cat came up to the girl, but wouldn't get too close. She then ran off. The next day the same thing happened. Day three, the cat got close enough that the girl was able to pick her up. The cat freaked out trying to get away from the girl. However, there was no way in hell the girl was going to let her cat go after losing her for 3 weeks, even though the cat started scratching the hell out of her. The boyfriend actually heard the girlfriend screaming for him and by the time he got to her, the girlfriend actually had to go to the hospital for stitches b/c the cat tore her up so bad.

The point is, the cat became feral within 3 weeks. She eventually got back to normal after they brought her back into the apartment, but hell. 3 weeks and this happens? Amazing.

DapperButch
02-13-2012, 08:34 PM
I posted this in the petition thread:

Double decker horse transport was to be banned (horses cannot stand straight up in these, subsequently, they trip, fall and injure themselves), as part of the American Energy and Infrastructure Jobs Act, but there is a last minute amendment put on the table to remove this part from the bill (a Republican, of course). Please act quickly.

http://capwiz.com/aspca/issues/alert/?alertid=60942061

Martina
02-13-2012, 08:47 PM
i spend Monday through Thursday away from home and really miss my cats. They are clingy by the time i get home, but seem OK. This is not how i want to live, but it will only be for a few more months. Still, . . sniffle. i miss Zuzu catapulting off my bladder at the most inconvenient moments.

Martina
02-15-2012, 03:41 AM
Whether you believe in dog breeding and/or dog shows or not, you gotta admit that this is one cute little dog. He got Best in Show at Westminster.

http://nbcsportsmedia3.msnbc.com/j/MSNBC/Components/Photo/_new/spt-dogs-pekingese-120214.nbcsports-story-612.jpg

cuddlyfemme
02-15-2012, 09:59 AM
My kitty Goldie has what seems like a kitty cold but I'm taking her to the vet to make sure and probably get her on some antibiotics. When it comes to getting a cat in a cat carrier, I'm terrible....any tips or suggestions????

Liam
02-15-2012, 10:10 AM
My kitty Goldie has what seems like a kitty cold but I'm taking her to the vet to make sure and probably get her on some antibiotics. When it comes to getting a cat in a cat carrier, I'm terrible....any tips or suggestions????

Years ago, we used to put my partner's cats in pillow cases; they just turned into big noodles, allowing us to place them in a carrier with ease. Best of luck. I hope Goldie feels better soon.

Daktari
02-15-2012, 10:28 AM
If your cat is anything like mine she sleeps a lot. I grab the Wuppster when she's snoozing and put her in the carrier. Failing that a towel helps to gather her up in.

LaneyDoll
02-15-2012, 10:30 AM

To point number 3, isolation may not work. My son is horribly allergic to cats and if he touches what they have touched, then touches his face, he begins to react immediately.

To point number 4, yes there are allergy meds out there. But some allergy shots must be given 2-3 times weekly. If the patient cannot give themselves the shot, a doctor/nurse must. In time, this could be a huge commitment in time & money. And not all insurance plans cover these shots-especially if they view the situation as "elective."

:sparklyheart:

Glenn
02-15-2012, 10:59 AM

Lol! I built my own custom trap with plywood. I put tuna inside, plus, it has a section inside that keeps a live mouse. I hear there are nets out there with long poles, or you can make one yourself. I use to cover them with something thick like a small quilt, or double some thick towels, and wait until they were deeply sleeping, wear thick gloves and shirt sleeves, get behind them, then as fast as I could, covered them, got a good, tight, grip, and put my furbaby in. The bigger the carrier the easier this is.

Glenn
02-15-2012, 11:39 AM
If your cat is anything like mine she sleeps a lot. I grab the Wuppster when she's snoozing and put her in the carrier. Failing that a towel helps to gather her up in.

What is a wuppster?

Electrocell
02-15-2012, 12:23 PM

Awwwwwwwww poor kitty . I've always just opened the door on the carrier eventually the right one will check it out lol then just close the door . Or you can grab her by the nape of her neck like a mother cat would do and put her in back feet 1st with the carrier door up. Then when you get her in just put the carrier back down like it's suppose to be. If this makes any sense lol. If not call me will be able to explain better.

cuddlyfemme
02-15-2012, 12:23 PM
What is a wuppster?

that was my next question too

cuddlyfemme
02-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Awwwwwwwww poor kitty . I've always just opened the door on the carrier eventually the right one will check it out lol then just close the door . Or you can grab her by the nape of her neck like a mother cat would do and put her in back feet 1st with the carrier door up. Then when you get her in just put the carrier back down like it's suppose to be. If this makes any sense lol. If not call me will be able to explain better.

The right one comes to the carrier...not here. They see a carrier and run like the wind lol Although Goldie is a big girl so I'm not sure how much running she can do, she mainly sleeps. Will be calling you

Electrocell
02-15-2012, 12:28 PM
The right one comes to the carrier...not here. They see a carrier and run like the wind lol Although Goldie is a big girl so I'm not sure how much running she can do, she mainly sleeps. Will be calling you

Ok lol just leave it sitting for awhile with door open their curiousity will get the best of them lol.

cuddlyfemme
02-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Lol! I built my own custom trap with plywood. I put tuna inside, plus, it has a section inside that keeps a live mouse. I hear there are nets out there with long poles, or you can make one yourself. I use to cover them with something thick like a small quilt, or double some thick towels, and wait until they were deeply sleeping, wear thick gloves and shirt sleeves, get behind them, then as fast as I could, covered them, got a good, tight, grip, and put my furbaby in. The bigger the carrier the easier this is.
That sounds complicated......I have a Sherpa carrier for them. I don't have thick gloves, would my snow gloves work? I'm hoping the vet doesn't try to pet Goldie (new vet). Goldie will let anyone put out their hand so she can sniff them but nobody can pet her but me...fiesty kitty

cuddlyfemme
02-15-2012, 12:29 PM
Ok lol just leave it sitting for awhile with door open their curiousity will get the best of them lol.
I'll put a few out so they can have their choice lol

Electrocell
02-15-2012, 12:32 PM
I'll put a few out so they can have their choice lol

Lmao there you go.

starryeyes
02-15-2012, 12:43 PM
I came home last night to a hurt doggie. She is my chihauhua Romee. She keeps crying everytime I touch her. She slept fine all night, ate breakast and went potty fine. I am going to check her out when I get home and then take her to the vet. I am thinking she jumped off my bed wrong (I hope). I'm just stumped. Poor thing.

cuddlyfemme
02-15-2012, 12:46 PM
Lmao there you go.
I just have to find the ones that Goldie will actually fit in lol

Electrocell
02-15-2012, 12:55 PM
I just have to find the ones that Goldie will actually fit in lol

Oh she's a big kitty then lol.

Electrocell
02-15-2012, 12:56 PM
I came home last night to a hurt doggie. She is my chihauhua Romee. She keeps crying everytime I touch her. She slept fine all night, ate breakast and went potty fine. I am going to check her out when I get home and then take her to the vet. I am thinking she jumped off my bed wrong (I hope). I'm just stumped. Poor thing.

Poor baby is she limping ?

cuddlyfemme
02-15-2012, 12:58 PM
Poor sweet baby....give her a head rub from me

cuddlyfemme
02-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Oh she's a big kitty then lol.
She's long hair so she's really fluffy and hasn't met a food bowl she didn't like lol

Electrocell
02-15-2012, 01:06 PM
She's long hair so she's really fluffy and hasn't met a food bowl she didn't like lol

LMAO well a girl has got to eat.

cuddlyfemme
02-15-2012, 01:08 PM
LMAO well a girl has got to eat.

and eat and eat and eat and eat more lol

Electrocell
02-15-2012, 01:13 PM
and eat and eat and eat and eat more lol

Has the Vet ever told you to put her on a diet --if not let her eat lol.

cuddlyfemme
02-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Has the Vet ever told you to put her on a diet --if not let her eat lol.
Nope never told me to put her on a diet but then again we're going to a new vet so we'll see but it would be hard to put her on a diet and let the other 3 eat regular food

Electrocell
02-15-2012, 01:18 PM
Nope never told me to put her on a diet but then again we're going to a new vet so we'll see but it would be hard to put her on a diet and let the other 3 eat regular food

True that wouldn't be fair.

cuddlyfemme
02-15-2012, 01:37 PM
True that wouldn't be fair.

I had a diabetic kitty that had to be on special food (it was high cal. because she hated to eat) and everyone got the same food

DapperButch
02-15-2012, 07:11 PM

Wait isn't this the dog where the neighbor kid hit her when you were away for the weekend? Could it be a reinjury? (or am I confusing you with someone else? sorry, if i am)

Please make sure to update us.

Daktari
02-16-2012, 09:46 AM
What is a wuppster?

that was my next question too

The Wuppster, Wuppert, Wuppertypuppert, Woody, Spuddy, Spudwood Woodward, Pups, Pupwad, Puppert, Puppertino, Teeny Toes, Furry chuff, Woolly and more are all names for Her Royal Greyness the Woodipotimus (her kitten name was Pudding)

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/2131250898_804302c922.jpg

Where does a cat sleep? Anywhere it damn well pleases!
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/2398535171_43c419a48c.jpg

starryeyes
02-20-2012, 01:48 PM
Wait isn't this the dog where the neighbor kid hit her when you were away for the weekend? Could it be a reinjury? (or am I confusing you with someone else? sorry, if i am)

Please make sure to update us.

Yep, same dog. She is totally healed from that incident. I am not sure what this was. She was fine the next night, and now is totally back to normal. I just took her on a trip with me to make sure she was ok (I won't leave her home anymore... at all) and she was good. Who knows!? Im just glad she is OK

DapperButch
02-20-2012, 05:16 PM
Yep, same dog. She is totally healed from that incident. I am not sure what this was. She was fine the next night, and now is totally back to normal. I just took her on a trip with me to make sure she was ok (I won't leave her home anymore... at all) and she was good. Who knows!? Im just glad she is OK

Glad she is ok. One more incident and BFP will be sending a party to remove your dog from your home. :readfineprint: I will be leading the troop, so be on guard! :fencing:

Martina
02-20-2012, 07:55 PM
i was making chili this afternoon and re-experienced how annoying it is not to be able to open ANY kind of can without tuna expectations resulting.

i try to explain that it is a can of kidney beans, not tuna. Surely, i reason, they can smell the difference. But no, they are under foot until tuna manifests itself.

Fortunately there was one can of tuna in the house. It is probably a good thing that i rarely cook.

Electrocell
02-20-2012, 09:08 PM
i was making chili this afternoon and re-experienced how annoying it is not to be able to open ANY kind of can without tuna expectations resulting.

i try to explain that it is a can of kidney beans, not tuna. Surely, i reason, they can smell the difference. But no, they are under foot until tuna manifests itself.

Fortunately there was one can of tuna in the house. It is probably a good thing that i rarely cook.

Lol they have us trained well don't they? lol

cuddlyfemme
02-21-2012, 07:07 AM

For some really strange reason, my cats don't like Tuna

always2late
03-31-2012, 03:00 PM
Just throwing this out there, hoping someone has a suggestion. One of my dogs is a barker...and I mean for EVERYTHING! If a leaf blows by, he is barking! The other dogs are not generally barkers, but when he starts them off, they ALL join in. We have 5 dogs of varying sizes and the noise can be really nerve rattling after a while. He is not bored or neglected...he gets regular exercise and play-time daily. I am at a loss here....so...does anyone have any ideas about how to curb this? (except a shock collar...I will never use one on my dogs) Any other sanity-saving advice would be welcome and greatly appreciated!

Princess
03-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Just throwing this out there, hoping someone has a suggestion. One of my dogs is a barker...and I mean for EVERYTHING! If a leaf blows by, he is barking! The other dogs are not generally barkers, but when he starts them off, they ALL join in. We have 5 dogs of varying sizes and the noise can be really nerve rattling after a while. He is not bored or neglected...he gets regular exercise and play-time daily. I am at a loss here....so...does anyone have any ideas about how to curb this? (except a shock collar...I will never use one on my dogs) Any other sanity-saving advice would be welcome and greatly appreciated!

I had a barker for awhile, Millie. She's part beagle/cocker spaniel. a Speagle as they call her lol! Anyway, I found this site really helpful and maybe you will too. http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/how_to_stop_barking.html

DapperButch
03-31-2012, 03:25 PM

I would google "barking" along with the name of the breed.

Rockinonahigh
03-31-2012, 04:11 PM
I use to have a barker years ago,it really got bad,so I got a kids water gun and everytime she went to barking just to bark and make noise I squirted her in the chest or face.It didnt take long for her to be quite when I said "hush".

DapperButch
03-31-2012, 04:22 PM
I use to have a barker years ago,it really got bad,so I got a kids water gun and everytime she went to barking just to bark and make noise I squirted her in the chest or face.It didnt take long for her to be quite when I said "hush".

Same here. Tantalizing taught my dog with two squirts of a spray bottle with water in it. Now all I say is, "no bark", and he stops.

Martina
03-31-2012, 09:58 PM
My Sir's cat is bullying my cats. THey've moved into his territory, so i get it, but it's getting old. They need to have their time outside, and he just loves to chase them back inside. So frustrating. i had really hoped they would get along. He's been lonely since his buddy cat disappeared a year or more ago.

Toughy
03-31-2012, 11:13 PM
Water bottles are great to use with barking dogs............just don't squirt them in the face because you could accidently hit them in the eye and do damage. Spray their chest or feet....dogs hate their feet sprayed for some reason. And spray with the command 'no bark' or 'hush' or '_______' (whatever you want to use) at the same time.

Martina I got no help for you with cats. There is a new show with a guy who is a cat whisperer....for real....but I can't remember the channel (maybe animal planet) or the name of the show. The guy is big and has tats everywhere and a big ass earrings and a shaved head and beard..

DapperButch
04-01-2012, 07:43 AM
Water bottles are great to use with barking dogs............just don't squirt them in the face because you could accidently hit them in the eye and do damage. Spray their chest or feet....dogs hate their feet sprayed for some reason. And spray with the command 'no bark' or 'hush' or '_______' (whatever you want to use) at the same time.

Hey, Toughy. No, it was his side that we sprayed actually, never the face (while saying, "no bark"!). One spray each time, happening twice over the course of one hour and that was it! He responds to "no bark" like a charm, now.

Ginger
04-04-2012, 06:53 PM
I had a barker for awhile, Millie. She's part beagle/cocker spaniel. a Speagle as they call her lol! Anyway, I found this site really helpful and maybe you will too. http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/dogs/tips/how_to_stop_barking.html

I read the Humane Society's advice you linked to, and thought it seemed really useful.

Consistency, repetition and patience are key, plus quickly rewarding the positive behavior, which requires vigilance because at first the dog exhibits the "good" behavior accidentally, like in silence between barking jags—and you have to be there and catch it and reward it quickly, over and over till the dog "gets" the cause-and-effect thing happening and begins to consciously elicit the reward by generating "good" behavior.

I am not an animal behaviorist, so take my opinions from this point on with a grain of salt and for being what they are; the rantings of a layperson who happens to be fascinated by animal behavior.

The advice on what to do with a dog that barks too much is great, and they do address why they bark too much in the first place—being left alone too much, or not getting exercise.

I also think dogs bark too much because they are trying to enact their role in the pack. They think it's their job to bark, or they feel anxious because they don't know what their role is, and so they are overcompensating with all the barking.

I stayed with my sister for two weeks this winter, and was alone in the house with her two dogs, one of whom is a 130-pound German shepherd. True to breed, he believes the family is his flock, and his job on earth is to protect us (except for my sister's husband, whom he accepts as his alpha and worships).

If a UPS guy or some other unsuspecting person came to the front door, Thor would go nuts. His teeth-barred barking is loud, deep, and confident. The fur on his back stands up and he stands with his front paws on the front door, which makes him like ten feet tall.

I would just sit on the nearby stairway, watching, and the corgi would come up and sit behind me, which was funny because in their usual dynamic, he totally dominates the shepherd (it is so not about size with them).

Anyway, one day, as soon as Thor started barking, I didn't yell and instead, thanked him loudly and warmly for protecting me, and he turned around confused, then came running over to me, tail down, head down, fur on his back down, and pushed against me like he does when he wants his head rubbed, and I rubbed his head and continued praising him, saying, Good boy! Thanks Thor, I'll take it from here. Good job!

I did it several times and it always worked, and my sister tried it, and it worked for her too. Instead of yelling, which I just read in the Humane Society site, makes them think you're barking with them, I'm thanking him for doing his shepherd protective thing, and as soon as he realizes that, he thinks, Great, my job is done. I can quit now, and it alleviates his anxiety about doing his job well, which is shepherd's reason for living.

girl_dee
04-04-2012, 07:12 PM

did you try the water bottle technique?

The puppy class trainer suggests a can of with coins in it, shake it when they do the barking frenzy, they hate it and she said she had to do it twice. Also when they STOP barking, reward them BIG time.

AtLast
04-17-2012, 04:34 PM
Nocchi the Frog Dog is recovering well from surgery for gastric mucosa hyperplasia or an acquired pyloric stinosis. He is a 6 year old French Bulldog and the love of my life! He could not empty food from his stomach into his intestinal tract due to a thickening in his stomach. For months, he chronically vomited which I thought was due to either food allergies or rich treats given to him- WRONG, then - BAM!! It was life threatening, yet treatable. He was a good candidate for surgery and now recovering (doing quite well).

The last 2 weeks dealing with this has been awful. He was very, very, sick. But, with support from some awesome people and a veterinary team that was so damn good at what they do- i did lose him. And it looked like that was a possibility.

DapperButch
04-23-2012, 06:55 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/23/blind-woman-dog-police-attack_n_1445461.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl6%7Csec3_lnk2%26pLid%3D154404

Tommi
06-27-2013, 10:34 PM
mRmvJ9ISEJQ

Consumers should be cautious when buying pet drugs online and should not let Internet pharmacies evaluate their pets.

buy from Vet-Vipps approved sites only
www.vipps.info

Veterinary Verified Internet Practice Site.

PoeticSilence
09-26-2013, 01:57 AM
I found this site and LOVE it. It's not JUST for pets mind you, there's a few human things, but either way, I wanted to share.

http://islandtopdesigns.com

Blade
05-27-2015, 07:37 AM
I didn't want to start a thread on this issue just a quick post.

Summer time is here. though it isn't really that hot yet, a pet can still suffer from heat stroke.

My niece text me back Friday telling me how her dog was acting. I really didn't have an answer for her and the options were wide open considering the 5 month old puppy pit mix hadn't had any shots. All the questions I ask her, her answers weren't consistent with anything I could diagnose over the phone.

Being a holiday weekend she couldn't afford to vet her until yesterday. As it turned out the pup had suffered a heat stroke and the vet said he didn't know why she was still alive. She had told me the pup was in the yard with my nephew for maybe an hour and came inside and just laid around then went under the bed and wouldn't come out or eat or drink. I had told her what to do about that and I guess that is what kept her alive til Tuesday.

If you keep a dog outside, keep it in a shaded well ventilated area. Out of the sun and with plenty of fresh water. This goes for all outside animals. They can live for days without food but won't last long without water. THEY HAVE TO HAVE WATER!

I've had 2 dogs in my life to have heat stroke, Skippy being one of them. He was in the shade with water but there was woods behind him and a building beside him so I guess he wasn't ventilated well enough in this stagnant southern environment of summer. That was several years ago, now when I leave if it is going to be 85 degrees I leave him in the house with the AC on.

ONCE A DOG HAS SUFFERED A HEAT STROKE HE IS MORE SUSCEPTIBLE TO HAVE ANOTHER ONE So keep em cool.