PDA

View Full Version : Dykes And Lesbians To Watch Out For

BullDog
05-26-2010, 12:37 PM
OK if you get the reference you're in. ;) Here is a space to talk about being a dyke and/or lesbian or just show your support. Allies are most welcome. :)

JustBeingMe
05-26-2010, 12:40 PM
Hey there Bulldog, thanks for starting this thread. I am a Lesbian, always have been, I am also Butch. I support all those who are.

Jett
05-26-2010, 12:48 PM
I peeked in because I thought I'd find myself on a Top Ten Most Wanted list.
:harley:

Metro
;)

foxyshaman
05-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Ohhh...:sunglass: I love being a Dyke. Love it. I love the strength of the word and the sound of the word as it leaves my lips.

My GF does not like the word and does not refer to herself as such. It has been used as a derogatory term towards her (from others). But she is getting used to it :) and will even playfully use it when we tease each other.

TenderKnight
05-26-2010, 01:00 PM
OK, I'll bite.. who should I be looking out for, and is she in my closet now??

lol.. I am here to show support..

I admit that I am one of those guys that makes clear online that "im not a lesbian".. Although, the lesbian community was where I came out and started the process of finding out who I am. I don't identify with being a lesbian now, but I *try* not to diss lesbians either.. (has been guilty of making generalizations about lesbians).

I admire those that stand up and are counted.. I get to melt into the hetro crowd sometimes, most (most being a genralization, but again, let's run with it..), most lesbians can't vanish, they are in the fore front when they are out and about.. Two lesbians holding hands is pretty odvious.. Not to mention Butch lesbians.. Can't mistake a big ole dagger :D

I guess my point is that I once ID'd as lesbian, and even if it isn't who I am now, I will try to remember that being a lesbian is part of my story too..

-Tony

JustBeingMe
05-26-2010, 01:01 PM
On the term Dyke, I actually don't care for it because in my many years of being Lesbian, it was always used as a derogatory term(meaning they said I wanted to be a Man, when I didn't and don't) by others towards me; so I don't use that terminology in reference to others or myself. I strongly will use the term Lesbian in reference to myself, it just has more meaning for me than Dyke does. Over the years, I have learned to tolerate the term Dyke, as it comes up in discussions. I just let it go. No harm, no foul, ya know.
I sure hope this thread takes off, I wanna see where it ends up heading.

Emmy
05-26-2010, 01:02 PM
Well, I love Alison Bechdel, that's for sure! She's so nerdy and smart and adorable. When I was first realizing I wasn't straight, I would sit at the library for hours on end reading her Dykes to Watch out For series. It made me feel a bit more connected, less lonely.

I suppose I'm not, myself, a lesbian -when I'm honest with myself, I know I could have feelings for someone of any sex or gender- but I have much appreciation, respect and gratitude for everything my lesbian sisters have done and continue to do on behalf of the whole community. <3

NJFemmie
05-26-2010, 01:09 PM
<--- Lesbian and proud of it.

Yeah, I'm not crazy about the word dyke either but I'm learning to tolerate it.

:)

Jett
05-26-2010, 01:25 PM
I like being a dyke... a Big Ol' Damn Dyke.

Lesbian yep... but I'd be more likely to relate with and say "I'm a dyke". Mostly because where I come from it's used to describe "tough-ish" or more "aggressive" leather or jean and boot style lesbians and butches. I don't want to put my foot in my mouth so I totally acknowledge some don't use or see it that way at all.

I understand some's discomfort with the word too. One of my best friends is a couple generations ahead of me and she doesn't like "queer", because she was of time before it was re-claimed.

Heart
05-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Lesbian, dyke, and feminist to boot.
Or as Hothead would say: Feh! Muh! Nist!

BullDog
05-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Thanks everyone for posting. Hopefully those that don't care for the word dyke are not put off by it being here. Personally I like both dyke and lesbian. Dyke does have a certain defiance and toughness to it that I like. It's also been a term that has been shouted at me in a very derogatory and sometimes threatening way, so I definitely get both points of view.

Emmy, yeah I love the cartoon too, plus I was in search of a catchy title. ;)

Metro, maybe we can start our own Most Wanted Loud Mouth Dykes And Lesbians To Watch Out For On BPF list! Ha!

Tony, thanks so much for stopping in. I know everyone feels differently, but it does mean a lot to me when trans guys who have been a part of lesbian/queer communities honor that as part of their past and present where it is applicable. The other day one of my trans guy friends on Facebook was reminiscing about good ole fashioned feminist dyke music from 30 years ago. It made me smile big.

Thanks everyone. Keep the great thoughts coming.

PinkieLee
05-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Yep, Yep... a femme lesbian here :)

christie
05-26-2010, 01:55 PM
I like being a dyke... a Big Ol' Damn Dyke.

*raising hand* My name is Christie and I am a Big Ol' Damn Dyke too. My exmotherinlaw once referred to me as a GD dyke. I smiled and said thank you.

Dyke, Lesbian. Both fit me rather well and I take immense pride in both along with woman, female, girl.

Glad to see the thread!

MrSunshine
05-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Shit! Dykes and Lesbians to watch out for? I thought maybe they were running out into the streets or someone was throwing out in traffic. It's all good :)

NJFemmie
05-26-2010, 02:05 PM
The word itself doesn't bother me - it does when non-homosexuals use it though. On a personal level, I'm trying to learn to embrace the word. Where and when I grew up, using it was not a positive thing - however, every now and then you may catch me using it as a descriptor.

Dyke *cringe*
Dyke *cringe*

*sigh*

DYKE *cringe not so much*

See? I'm getting better at it. :)

Kobi
05-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Bulldog, Im proud of you. I'd kiss you but that would be weird....lol.

Omg I cannot believe how I felt my soul soar when I saw how many proud women.lesbians.dykes there are here proudly proclaiming themselves.

NJFemmie
05-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Kiss her! Kiss her!

(Cause I'm freaky like that)

:|

Chancie
05-26-2010, 02:12 PM
My Pete looks a little like Mo. :stillheart:

http://quizilla.teennick.com/user_images/A/akakasey/1103363871_cast_mo_small.jpg

Kobi
05-26-2010, 02:15 PM
Kiss her! Kiss her!

(Cause I'm freaky like that)

LOL. You weirdo.

Jett
05-26-2010, 02:19 PM
The word itself doesn't bother me - it does when non-homosexuals use it though. On a personal level, I'm trying to learn to embrace the word. Where and when I grew up, using it was not a positive thing - however, every now and then you may catch me using it as a descriptor.

Dyke *cringe*
Dyke *cringe*

*sigh*

DYKE *cringe not so much*

See? I'm getting better at it. :)

You work on that and then after a while I'll... um, Bulldog will call you a dyke and see how you react....

Metro
;):devil:

NJFemmie
05-26-2010, 02:23 PM
LMAO, deal. And if I start getting a little defensive toward yo.... um, Bulldog, don't take it personal. I need time to desensitize.

Beau
05-26-2010, 02:23 PM
Skipping gaily through this thread to say unequivocally, I'm a lesbian, dyke, gay, bulldagger. Some people call this form of queer "butch". :eek:

NJFemmie
05-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Skipping gaily through this thread to say unequivocally, I'm a lesbian, dyke, gay, bulldagger. Some people call this form of queer "butch". :eek:

Kindly post youtube of said "skipping".

(Cause you know I's freaky like that too....)

Jett
05-26-2010, 02:31 PM

Show off...:whoop:

;)

SuperFemme
05-26-2010, 02:34 PM
so where is this list?

Jett
05-26-2010, 02:37 PM
so where is this list?

Hey SF..

What list?

JustBeingMe
05-26-2010, 02:47 PM
Said List...begins with I, ME, MY, and on and on an on.
I know I am on that damn list somewhere. LOL
Ps. Bully, no worries, dyke is just another word to me nowdays. And it ain't just the Dyke's that like to wear boots and be tough, I have known some femme lesbians that scared me !! LOL

SuperFemme
05-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Hey SF..

What list?

Of Dykes/Lesbians to watch out for.

BullDog
05-26-2010, 02:48 PM
Maybe SF means the Most Wanted List, heh heh. We are makin it right here! You are ALL on the list. :D

JustBeingMe
05-26-2010, 02:50 PM
And I just love them femme lesbians too. Yippie!!

BullDog
05-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Shit! Dykes and Lesbians to watch out for? I thought maybe they were running out into the streets or someone was throwing out in traffic. It's all good :)

Don't rest so easy. The lesbians have landed. :D

:party:

SuperFemme
05-26-2010, 02:52 PM
nobody better even think about saying they are checking it twice to find out who is naughty and who is nice.

JustBeingMe
05-26-2010, 02:56 PM
How's this old song grab ya?
Here come the Lesbians......The Leaping Lesbians.......
hmmmm?
Oh damn, I think I outted my age range. LOL

NJFemmie
05-26-2010, 02:57 PM
hmmmm?

What did one lesbian frog say to the other lesbian frog?

http://static.dailystrength.org/userfiles/0/6/6/0/340660/pg_1198347349.jpg

Jett
05-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Of Dykes/Lesbians to watch out for.

Apparently Bulldog has the list... but be careful I think she's trying to make the #1 spot... she stole my cupcake over at Junes...

The_Lady_Snow
05-26-2010, 03:01 PM
When I go home to Alabama...

Sometimes I hear

DYKE!!! coming from some guys truck window

I *princess wave* and say

Your momma liked it!!:giggle:

Jett
05-26-2010, 03:17 PM

Sometimes I hear

One of my favs is to hold your hand to your ear and stare off with a mystical look and say in the style of The Sixth Sense... "I hear stupid people..."

foxyshaman
05-26-2010, 03:25 PM
"DDDYYYKKKEEE".... sounded in my ear as a car drove past... I looked around scared and said

"OH MY GOD WHERE"... then laughed and laughed...

Ahhhh the joys of being a dangerously dorky dyke.... <insert dorky grin>

BullDog
05-26-2010, 03:26 PM
Apparently Bulldog has the list... but be careful I think she's trying to make the #1 spot... she stole my cupcake over at Junes...

I guess my drag king disguise didn't work!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/2uBDw3vsc-M/0.jpg

Jett
05-26-2010, 03:36 PM
I guess my drag king disguise didn't work!

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/2uBDw3vsc-M/0.jpg
LMAO... yeah like that, real inconspicuous...

2myladyblue
05-26-2010, 03:37 PM
OK if you get the reference you're in. ;) Here is a space to talk about being a dyke and/or lesbian or just show your support. Allies are most welcome. :)

What if I didn't get the reference until after I read Emmy's post?
I can't believe I'm 20+ years behind on this!!! Thank goodness for the internet...when I realized I was outta the loop, I immediately went to www.dykestowatchoutfor.com & started catchin' up! Thanks BullDog!

Well, I love Alison Bechdel, that's for sure! She's so nerdy and smart and adorable. When I was first realizing I wasn't straight, I would sit at the library for hours on end reading her Dykes to Watch out For series. It made me feel a bit more connected, less lonely.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Emmy...what a great comic strip!

And as for sounding off....I believe my profile synopsis says it all...lesbian, dyke....I don't care what you call me, just don't call me late for dinner! ~Blue

BullDog
05-26-2010, 03:40 PM
"DDDYYYKKKEEE".... sounded in my ear as a car drove past... I looked around scared and said

"OH MY GOD WHERE"... then laughed and laughed...

Ahhhh the joys of being a dangerously dorky dyke.... <insert dorky grin>

Yeah, the first dyke you gotta watch out for is yourself! :superfunny:

Kobi
05-26-2010, 03:40 PM
The leaping lesbian song! And Ode to A Gym Teacher. I'd dig the old albums out of the attic but I have nothing to play them on. Whatever happened to Meg Christian? Robin Tyler? Tret Frue(?) Lucy Blue Trembley? Cris Williamson?

I like many terms that describe lesbians especially dyke! If someone calls me a dyke, I always thank them for noticing.

I dont care for queer...its too non descriptive. Or bull (fill in word of choice) ....its an animal rights thing.

Pretty Woman
05-26-2010, 03:44 PM
I actually prefer to use the term dyke as part of my description (as opposed to lesbian I mean). It's more in folks' faces out and about in the world and, as a 'passing femme [dyke]' it jolts some of the homophobia in the world at large right up to the surface for everyone to see.
I would never let straight folks co-opt our word and use it against us. I've reclaimed it and love it and that's who I am.
As to lesbian, well the word kind of lost its power for me when lesbian began to mean only those folks who actually look straight (I'm talking now from a mainstream media POV). Never been one to light a candle and sing, 'We are gentle loving people..' as my response to how I am treated in the world. Guess I'm just a little more in folks' faces than that.

Bohemian Rhapsody
05-26-2010, 03:51 PM
Dyke, no...why? hell if I know, I just feel femme and consider the word Dyke as describing someone "Butch". Most straight folk I know call me dyke in a derogatory sense, they use my appearance as a compass ( heavily tatted and pierced) so... I'll just wear my t-shirt that says '" I'm not a Dyke but my girlfriend is". For what ever reason, I dont find the word offensive if a LGBT uses it.:4femme:

princessbelle
05-26-2010, 04:25 PM
I honestly try not to use either.

I agree with the ones that say the "straight" world seems to refer to us all (our community) as lesbians or dykes. I however, do not feel i am either.

I identify as a gay femme. That is what I prefer. So many labels ...so little time....

Random
05-26-2010, 04:33 PM
While the word lesbian doesn't fit resound with me..

I am a big old queer femme dyke..

WILDCAT
05-26-2010, 04:45 PM
hmmmm?

Meg Christian, right? I saw/heard her sing that at the OLD Michigan stomping grounds. You think we're outdating/outdated? I LOVE IT!

Proud Lesbian here! DID I SAY LESBIAN here!!!?? :cheer:

Also, happy as hell with my ol' butch bad assed self!!! Love those femme lesbians and dykes too!!

AND LOVE BEING A DYKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (AND OF COURSE, "queer-er than a seven dollar bill"!!)

:awww:

Thanks for the "D.A.L.T.W.O.F." fun memories of days gone by recall here Bully. I still have copies of The LC with that "strip" in them. It was wonderful and FUN to reclaim those bad nasty horrible words that the world tried to crucify us with. Sad to see similar uprising within the community though, shown at times... against ones own choice(s) of words/ID's that they go by. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Live and let live I say!!

*I'm just proud, proud, proud - well, and then a little bummed when I read or hear any "anti" anything sentiments. Everyone should be proud of who they are, IMHO. (Respect is paramount!)

Peace ALL...

WILDCAT - who is just sick about the BP oil crap right now.

CherylNYC
05-26-2010, 05:05 PM
Count me in! If I don't make it onto The List I'm gonna kick somebody's ass!

I will answer to lesbian, dyke, gay, and/or queer. I usually end up using whichever word seems right in the moment, but 'lesbian' and 'dyke' are my clear faves.

When I'm speaking to queer people who think that 'lesbian' is somehow pejorative, (usually the younger, genderqueer crowd), I make a point of calling myself a LESBIAN FEMINIST. Then I wait for one of them to say something, anything, stupid. I admit to puerile joy watching them squirm in the aftermath.

When I'm speaking to people who ID as stonebutch or stonefemme who think that their stone ID means that they could not possible be lesbians, I make sure to call myself a stonefemme lesbian.

When I'm speaking to lesbians who would prefer me to assimilate I call myself a dyke. Relentlessly.

BUT, if I ever find myself using the word 'dyke' in a work environment, or anywhere else where straight people might hear me, I make a point of telling them that they are NOT allowed to use that word.

Jett
05-26-2010, 07:37 PM
The leaping lesbian song! And Ode to A Gym Teacher. I'd dig the old albums out of the attic but I have nothing to play them on. Whatever happened to Meg Christian? Robin Tyler? Tret Frue(?) Lucy Blue Trembley? Cris Williamson?

I like many terms that describe lesbians especially dyke! If someone calls me a dyke, I always thank them for noticing.

I dont care for queer...its too non descriptive. Or bull (fill in word of choice) ....its an animal rights thing.

Hmmm... I must be a bad dyke, I've never heard of any of these people. Heh, actually I got razzed because I didn't know who the Indigo Girls were until last year.

But Linda Perry... 4nonBlondes and after.... that's another story altogether, yowza... :guitar:

Does that count?
;)

*more rock & roll*
Metro

Stoney
05-26-2010, 08:07 PM
Meg Christian, right? I saw/heard her sing that at the OLD Michigan stomping grounds. You think we're outdating/outdated? I LOVE IT!

Proud Lesbian here! DID I SAY LESBIAN here!!!?? :cheer:

Also, happy as hell with my ol' butch bad assed self!!! Love those femme lesbians and dykes too!!

AND LOVE BEING A DYKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (AND OF COURSE, "queer-er than a seven dollar bill"!!)

:awww:

Thanks for the "D.A.L.T.W.O.F." fun memories of days gone by recall here Bully. I still have copies of The LC with that "strip" in them. It was wonderful and FUN to reclaim those bad nasty horrible words that the world tried to crucify us with. Sad to see similar uprising within the community though, shown at times... against ones own choice(s) of words/ID's that they go by. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Live and let live I say!!

*I'm just proud, proud, proud - well, and then a little bummed when I read or hear any "anti" anything sentiments. Everyone should be proud of who they are, IMHO. (Respect is paramount!)

Peace ALL...

WILDCAT - who is just sick about the BP oil crap right now.

Soooo..
Wildcat.... michigan huh?

So we are old... lol but remember?

alix dobkin......yahoo australia
Lesbian code...

two nice girls.. birth control and beer

chris williamson ( heard she is going this year, rumor of holly near)

Toshi Regan

and Im thinkin I might just go this year for fun... not work...

:happyjump:

Oh yeah.. I like being called a dyke the best... or a lesbian. it used to be an insult but I use it to my advantage and have embraced the term. I have never liked the word queer for some reason .

I would be cool to run into you at fest, WILDCAT!

we could sit around the fire singing old feminist protest songs and womyns folk music and burn other peoples bras,:cigar: for old times sake....
You know You wanna!

Kobi
05-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Maybe its a generation gap thing. I never heard of Linda Perry or 4 nonblondes and after. lol.

Hmmm... I must be a bad dyke, I've never heard of any of these people. Heh, actually I got razzed because I didn't know who the Indigo Girls were until last year.

But Linda Perry... 4nonBlondes and after.... that's another story altogether, yowza... :guitar:

Does that count?
;)

*more rock & roll*
Metro

Jett
05-26-2010, 08:50 PM
I was invited by some old friends to the Michigan fest a few years back, but I won't go there because they don't allow some women in, namely those of a trans experience.

(I probably wouldn't go anyway, not my thing so much, but that pretty much clinches it)

*seriously not a stick in the mud just sayin'*
Metro

Kobi
05-26-2010, 09:00 PM
I've never been to a Michigan Festival but have heard some wonderful and not so wonderful stories from others.

I live a half hour from Ptown, so I usually catch my entertainment there....ahhh the old days when Lea Delaria and The Dyketones ruled, The Pied Piper didnt have mens afternoon tea dances, and I was a hell of a lot younger. Everywhere I look now are little baby dykes.......as seen thru my AARP eyes.

Have to say, it is nice to see all the new names I havent seen before and feel the lightness of the energy here. It feels good. :)

WILDCAT
05-26-2010, 09:01 PM
Soooo..
Wildcat.... michigan huh?

So we are old... lol but remember?

alix dobkin......yahoo australia
Lesbian code...

two nice girls.. birth control and beer

chris williamson ( heard she is going this year, rumor of holly near)

Toshi Regan

and Im thinkin I might just go this year for fun... not work...

:happyjump:

Oh yeah.. I like being called a dyke the best... or a lesbian. it used to be an insult but I use it to my advantage and have embraced the term. I have never liked the word queer for some reason .

I would be cool to run into you at fest, WILDCAT!

we could sit around the fire singing old feminist protest songs and womyns folk music and burn other peoples bras,:cigar: for old times sake....
You know You wanna!

Why Stoney, I figured YOU would respond to my post here, really!

Yes, the original Michigan grounds and at that "Leaping Lesbian" song time, Margie Adams (?) sang that beautiful "UNICORN" song then. Aweeeeeeeee...

ALIX was OUR BOB DYLAN, OUR SISTER leader politcally then. Yes, and she with two other beautuiful, brave and daring women at that time, made the first EVER OUT "lesbian" album. (Lavender Jane Loves Women)

And, Cris Williamson performed during that time. Those were our early performers. Brave that they came out under Olivia records. (WAIT, it was "LADYSLIPPER" FIRST, right and then came Olivia Records!) The first "women for women" music made. Did you get the Ladyslipper catalogue? We could ONLY order our queer music through mail. AND, I had a bumper sticker that said, "TIRED OF TOP 40 MUSIC, TRY WOMYN'S MUSIC", and moved to fucking TEXAS with that bumper sticker on!! LOL

It was a beautiful time. (Thanks AGAIN BULLY for this thread, it feels like "healing" to me at this time here!!) And folks were REAL butchy or femme, it did NOT matter. Many will say that they/we were all adrogynous then - well, that is not exactly correct... HOWEVER, it did "mean" something politically special at the time which ALSO was important and needed to be done and respected. (Needs to be respected today too IMHO.) Like the bra burnings of women, in general - but, today if you wear one you are NOT treated like crap like the women of the feminist movement were - STRAIGHT OR GAY!

No, I don't subcribe to any "fanaticism"... so the current stuff that folks bitch about, does not apply anymore - especially the "horrible lesbians" from the 70's. I was one of them, and I NEVER FELT that way against masculinity in women, etc... And "OUR" loves STILL loved us. To each their own - and all. And we all evolve through time and changes anyway. WHY THE FUCK these discriminations STILL get brought up today, is SO lost and beyond me (well, on a site like this, all inclusive - if it was/is a separatist site, that is different - but, this ISN'T). It's hurtful folks. And if you weren't there during this time... why "judge"? And especially, WHY on earth be negative about "US"?

And if you are separative, you wouldn't be here - I wouldn't imagine. Plus, again, the times have changed. And if you are anti-woman in any way, why be here? This is COMMUNITY, yes?!
___

Anyway, I digress!!! I went to the 30th Ann. of Mich. Fest, Stoney and got to see the changes, the new - and the "FOUNDERS" for us. All were equally respected. Ferron was there. And when one singer came out (Cris Williamson I'm almost certain) from the old days, I went up to a couple from my age group in the back row, and held them both and we sang this old beautiful song of hers, and actually wept. It was a very special time indeed.

And at this 30th, there were trandsgenered folks there, lots of beards, etc... NO ONE FUCKING CARED THAT I noticed... (?) If they "did", that was their issues or whatever... I never heard it brought up!

I don't care where anyone is today. Just hope it's for the right reasons and that folks can find the peace and happiness within theirselves to BE WHO THEY REALLY ARE. But, I will be respected for "what was" and who I am right now. Yes, I've morphed myself, (many times actually), and/but will always stay true to "MY ROOTS"... as many of you do, no matter how you ID today. Thank you for that! Really.

To the trans folks who come from our same backgrounds and lives lived, I LOVE you guys who are still "supportive" and understand. I am competely and totally supportive with YOU as well! Plus, I admire your courage!!

And again, I recognize my own changes with "gender theory" within myself. But, I am going to honor who and what I am, and would appreciate folks respecting who and what I am - AND, folks respecting ALL folks in our community for who and what THEY ARE. (I don't mean "what" as an object here, please do not take me out of context OR be offended - I am a "what" too, in this regards - actually, in MANY REGARDS. SMILE. I am MANY THINGS as a human/spiritual being. I am an emotional human being too! NOT embarrassed to say that!!)
__

So, Stoney, where ya live? We would have fun!!! How's that pacemaker? I SWEAR to goddess, (my butch witch friend) that medical photo of you, post "insert"... why, you look TWENTY years younger!!!!!!!!! I'm thinking I should go and stick a screwdriver in a socket here maybe?????????

Peace and LOVE buddy!!!!

J.

*Oh, did you think I was going to tell you my age here? :hamactor:

**Plus, "OH". Toshi was a little half pint running around at Mich. Fest when her mother was SWEET HONEY AND THE ROCK, rock-ing us (in their loving arms!). "LOVE YOUR MOTHER EARTH, LOVE EACH OTHER, ETC..." And yes, she (Toshi) performed then at the 30th. That was a bit surreal for me. But, Sweet Honey were our MAMA'S there! Behave, get along - or we will knock your sweet and loving heads together ya'll!! SMILE

:unicorn:

Martina
05-26-2010, 10:39 PM
I was invited by some old friends to the Michigan fest a few years back, but I won't go there because they don't allow some women in, namely those of a trans experience.

(I probably wouldn't go anyway, not my thing so much, but that pretty much clinches it)

*seriously not a stick in the mud just sayin'*
Metro

i couldn't cope with Michigan because of the horrible music and worse food. i always loved the lurid political infighting that one could read afterward in the Lesbian Connection. Remember when so many women got shigella? And all the infighting about the leather tent. God. When i moved, i found ancient copies of Sinister Wisdom, Off Our Backs, etc. i threw most of it away. i did save a few things including my Hothead Paison book and a copy of the magazine Taste of Latex.

i am a dyke and a lesbian. They both roll off my tongue easily. i did NOT major in Women's Studies although many of my friends back in the day did. i hated women's music except for a few performers. i liked Ferron. Remember "It won't take long" -- about the coming revolution. :)

i am a bit of a culture snob, and my Marxist feminism stresses the Marxism over the feminism. But i am a dyke. i own the culture, and it owns me. i am a dyke BEFORE i am a femme because i WAS a dyke before i was a femme.

i have certainly had my differences with the mainstream lesbian community. Back in the day -- a huge one was my kink. But i am and will always be a lesbian.

BullDog
05-26-2010, 11:42 PM
Count me in! If I don't make it onto The List I'm gonna kick somebody's ass!

I will answer to lesbian, dyke, gay, and/or queer. I usually end up using whichever word seems right in the moment, but 'lesbian' and 'dyke' are my clear faves.

When I'm speaking to queer people who think that 'lesbian' is somehow pejorative, (usually the younger, genderqueer crowd), I make a point of calling myself a LESBIAN FEMINIST. Then I wait for one of them to say something, anything, stupid. I admit to puerile joy watching them squirm in the aftermath.

When I'm speaking to people who ID as stonebutch or stonefemme who think that their stone ID means that they could not possible be lesbians, I make sure to call myself a stonefemme lesbian.

When I'm speaking to lesbians who would prefer me to assimilate I call myself a dyke. Relentlessly.

BUT, if I ever find myself using the word 'dyke' in a work environment, or anywhere else where straight people might hear me, I make a point of telling them that they are NOT allowed to use that word.

With a kick ass attitude and post like this you are definitely on THE LIST! Love it. :thumbsup:

ravfem
05-27-2010, 12:09 AM
i love love LOVE the word Dyke. If i call you a Dyke, it's a HUGE compliment!

To me, the word embodies a bold, sexy, brash butch. yuuuuuuu ummm! :drool:

i LOVE that Massi considers Hymself a Dyke, cause i know i do!!

Dykes are just plain HOT in my book!! :cheer:

:byebye:

Massive
05-27-2010, 12:14 AM
:cheesy:
Dyke and Proud!

Thanks babygirl, now, go sleep!

:stillheart:
:bunchflowers:
:love1:

Jess
05-27-2010, 05:36 AM
YO! DYKE!

HOLLAH!!!!!!!

Heart
05-27-2010, 05:49 AM
As a femme, I do not consider the word dyke to be exclusively butch. I am also a dyke. The brashness, toughness, in-your-faceness, whateverness of dyke is as much femme as it is butch.

Also want to say that dyke/lesbian are not outdated terms IMO, and do not only have to be associated with the 1970s.

Heart

Lynn
05-27-2010, 06:02 AM
As a femme, I do not consider the word dyke to be exclusively butch. I am also a dyke. The brashness, toughness, in-your-faceness, whateverness of dyke is as much femme as it is butch.

Also want to say that dyke/lesbian are not outdated terms IMO, and do not only have to be associated with the 1970s.

Heart

The wrapping is feminine lesbian, the creamy middle is dyke. Love women--period, but especially those butch women. But, they're all beautiful to me.

In my first lesbian incarnation, I came out to Cris, Holly, Ferron, Meg, Alix.... After 20 years of marriage to a man, I came out again. It was like being Rip Van Winkle. Women's Music had such a role in defining who I was, I was disappointed (if amazed) that I couldn't find a distinct women's music community that wasn't mainstream.

I love being a lesbian and I love being a dyke. I consider my best qualities to come from these identities.

Kobi
05-27-2010, 06:29 AM
The wrapping is feminine lesbian, the creamy middle is dyke.

That certainly perked up my mornin cup of coffee.

;)

ravfem
05-27-2010, 06:45 AM

Heart

Hi Heart :)

i completely understand and applaud that you consider yourself a Dyke! :cheer:

Coming on to bf websites has shown me that many non-butch people also claim that label, and i think that's amazing!

i was stating what the word Dyke brings to mind for me, and i love reading what different people conjure from it too.

:byebye:

Heart
05-27-2010, 06:56 AM
The wrapping is feminine lesbian, the creamy middle is dyke. Love women--period, but especially those butch women. But, they're all beautiful to me.

In my first lesbian incarnation, I came out to Cris, Holly, Ferron, Meg, Alix.... After 20 years of marriage to a man, I came out again. It was like being Rip Van Winkle. Women's Music had such a role in defining who I was, I was disappointed (if amazed) that I couldn't find a distinct women's music community that wasn't mainstream.

I love being a lesbian and I love being a dyke. I consider my best qualities to come from these identities.

So cool Lyn! I too first came out in my 20s, was married to a man in my 30s, and came out again in my 40s. Now I'm in my 50s, and rooted in my queer lesbian femme dyke identity. :LGBTQFlag:

BullDog
05-27-2010, 08:31 AM
Good morning dykes, lesbians and friends! I am lovin this space and reading everyone's words.

cinderella
05-27-2010, 09:41 AM
So, just out of curiosity...would you call someone a dyke if she were a girly-girl, 'high-femme'?

I'm from the old school, and in my day the word 'dyke' was used for women who, from their attire and aggressive demeanor usually attributed to males, were thought of as 'butch', but more commonly called 'dyke'. The word, usually uttered by straights, was meant to be derisive and offensive - that is why I don't like the word. However, these days I'm seeing that the 'd' word is being applied to all or most lesbians no matter how they i.d.

Comments anyone?

BullDog
05-27-2010, 09:49 AM
So, just out of curiosity...would you call someone a dyke if she were a girly-girl, 'high-femme'?

I'm from the old school, and in my day the word 'dyke' was used for women who, from their attire and aggressive demeanor usually attributed to males, were thought of as 'butch', but more commonly called 'dyke'. The word, usually uttered by straights, was meant to be derisive and offensive - that is why I don't like the word. However, these days I'm seeing that the 'd' word is being applied to all or most lesbians no matter how they i.d.

Comments anyone?

What you say is interesting Cinderella. It does seem when it is used derisively it's almost like "wanna-be man get out."

To me Dyke- in the reclaimed sense of the word- is about attitude and not appearance. Femmes certainly can have that strut too. I know of all types of women both on the more feminine and masculine side of the spectrum and in between who claim dyke.

The_Lady_Snow
05-27-2010, 09:54 AM

Comments anyone?

I use dyke and have used dyke and have no shame using dyke.. I am pretty girly, not over the top but I have my good days. I am proud leather dyke for many a year matter of fact I was Sir's baby dyke for a good 4 of those years aggresiveness and all :)

cinderella
05-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Hmmmm, that's interesting as well, Bulldog. And certainly, folks can call themselves whatever they like...I just don't like the word, and never will - I'm set in my ways like that - and, lordy, I sure hope no one calls me 'dyke', lol.

*snip*
I know of all types of women both on the more feminine and masculine side of the spectrum and in between who claim dyke.

BullDog
05-27-2010, 10:06 AM
Hmmmm, that's interesting as well, Bulldog. And certainly, folks can call themselves whatever they like...I just don't like the word, and never will - I'm set in my ways like that - and, lordy, I sure hope no one calls me 'dyke', lol.

LOL, no worries Cinderella, we won't. :) Welcome to the thread!

cinderella
05-27-2010, 10:36 AM
Thank you ever so... :)

LOL, no worries Cinderella, we won't. :) Welcome to the thread!

JustBeingMe
05-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Awe shucks, anyone old enough to remember the womyn's movement on Washington, and the Lesbians/Dykes using the Lavender Bandanas to seperate themselves outward? Hee hee hee, I flagged them when I came out with a HUGE BANG!! I"d still hang one in my back pocket!!

Lynn
05-27-2010, 01:09 PM

Comments anyone?

To me, "dyke" connotes an attitude and way of being, not a particular look. I am really girly. It's just me, not something I cultivate. My partner insists I am "a femme," and she can think what she likes. ;) That's not really how I see myself. I'm told that I would look girly in a burlap sack, so it can't be the way I look that makes me a dyke.

Heart
05-27-2010, 01:43 PM
See, I don't necessarily equate femme/feminine with girly-girl, ergo no problem using the word dyke for those who are femme/feminine. But I do get the way "dyke" was used against more visible lesbians, namely butches. One reason I like the term dyke is it makes me more visible. And I like being visible.

Kobi
05-27-2010, 02:11 PM

Comments anyone?

Welcome cinderella!

I am old school as well and remember the term dyke as being an insult from straight people as well.

These days, for me, using the term dyke to describe myself is a pride thing - an acknowledgment of the struggles of the past, a celebration of our history, and a reminder of how much we have overcome. A solidarity thing perhaps.

I try not to use terms for anyone these days...partly cuz I dont know what the terms even are anymore. Since Toyota recalled my gaydar, I cant even distinguish the lesbians from the non lesbians....tho Im pretty sure if I think someone is, they arent.

Anyway welcome and I promise not to call you by the d word. :)

Kobi
05-27-2010, 02:21 PM
Awe shucks, anyone old enough to remember the womyn's movement on Washington, and the Lesbians/Dykes using the Lavender Bandanas to seperate themselves outward? Hee hee hee, I flagged them when I came out with a HUGE BANG!! I"d still hang one in my back pocket!!

I am old enough to remember this but I truly dont. That was a good idea idea tho, subdued visability.

I dont think I ever did anything like that to show my true colors....so to speak. LOL. I did go thru a purple shoelace stage tho....

Kobi
05-27-2010, 02:41 PM
I am going to throw this out there cuz it has been on my mind lately.

I came out in the rights movement age and when lesbian rights/visibility was a monumental thing. Having been out of the loop for a while.....I still see gay pride marches going on, and I see the political organizations for rights i.e. for the entire alternative lifestyle umbrella community.

Is there anything specific going on, or organizations for, or groups geared just to lesbians? Or has this become an outdated concept?

BullDog
05-28-2010, 02:33 PM
TGIF is the understatement of the week! Have a great weekend all.

Kobi
05-28-2010, 04:08 PM
In case ya'll didnt notice there is now a Lesbian Zone. I presume Linus can move this over if we like. Or change the name. Or whatever is anyones preferences.

Lotsa people traveling this weekend. Be safe out there.

Linus
05-28-2010, 04:09 PM
**quick in**

I've redirected it from the original source to the LESBIAN ZONE. This is to make it easier for those that knew where it was before to find it and for those looking to find it. :)

**quick out**

JustJo
05-28-2010, 04:12 PM
**quick in**

I've redirected it from the original source to the LESBIAN ZONE. This is to make it easier for those that knew where it was before to find it and for those looking to find it. :)

**quick out**

Linus...this may sound silly or petty or whatever but....
I wanted to say thank you for setting this up, and also for noticing and changing the fact that it wasn't originally in all caps like the butch and femme zone names were. A small thing maybe, but...thanks :rrose:

BullDog
05-28-2010, 04:16 PM
Linus, thanks for setting up the new Lesbian Zone. When I set it up the thread I was trying to figure out where to put it. I put it in Gender, Identity which was ok, but this will make it easier to find I think, especially for people new to the website.

TenderKnight
05-28-2010, 04:21 PM
**quick in**

**quick out**

Linus, I think I love you.. well.. maybe. I donno.. I do now, anyway..

lol

Great idea for the Lesbian Zone.. I think that everyone should have a place to start and post threads about what they want and need to talk about, without being attacked or dismissed. Thank you.

-Tony, who will now exit quietly from women's space.

BullDog
05-28-2010, 04:25 PM
The thread is for friends and allies too.

JustJo
05-28-2010, 04:31 PM
Hi everyone :rrose:

I hesitated to come in, but then saw the warm welcome my friend Cinderella got and thought I'd pop in.

Dyke doesn't resonate or feel right to me at all. I guess in my mind that feels more butch (for lack of a better word) than I can relate to.

In many ways I'm that "stealth lesbian"...even though I'm out to all of my family and friends. People look at me and assume "soccer mom" before anything else. Not trying to be invisible...just seems to work that way when I'm being who I really am.

Of course, it probably looks very different when I'm walking along with Scoote and holding her hand....or stopping to kiss on the beach. :lips:

So...dyke? No thank you.
Lesbian? Yep.

TenderKnight
05-28-2010, 04:48 PM
The thread is for friends and allies too.

Bulldog, Thank you very much for this. By my statement of "quietly leaving women's space" i didn't intend to be snarky at all.. In hind sight, I feel that it could be seen as such. My intention was simply to be respectful of the sharing that is going on in here. I am on a path that is diffrent from being a women.. I actually started a thread in regards to it.

I have posted my support here and I will repeat it again and again.. But I don't think I am needed to do that. You are all very strong people.. But please know that I support this space and shall always strive to be respectful of it and the people that dwell within it.

In Light,
Tony

BullDog
05-28-2010, 04:50 PM
Bulldog, Thank you very much for this. By my statement of "quietly leaving women's space" i didn't intend to be snarky at all.. In hind sight, I feel that it could be seen as such. My intention was simply to be respectful of the sharing that is going on in here. I am on a path that is diffrent from being a women.. I actually started a thread in regards to it.

I have posted my support here and I will repeat it again and again.. But I don't think I am needed to do that. You are all very strong people.. But please know that I support this space and shall always strive to be respectful of it and the people that dwell within it.

In Light,
Tony

No, I was just clarifying. Thank you.

betenoire
05-29-2010, 11:40 AM
Is there anything specific going on, or organizations for, or groups geared just to lesbians? Or has this become an outdated concept?

I don't know about most cities, but I know that in Toronto during the Pride Week festivities/tomfoolery the LGBTIQ parade is on Sunday, while Saturday is "Dyke Day" (yeah, we actually call it that) and women get their own parade on that day as well. Also, during the entire festival there is a beer garden for women only (and it's the nicest one, cuz it's got a wading pool).

I'm sure some other larger cities do the same?

In Toronto the Dyke March is waaaaay different from the big Pride Parade on Sunday. The Pride Parade is.....awful. Lots of corporate sponsors. Loud obnoxious floats. Too long and too crowded. (I hate the parade, I generally don't show up until afterward).

The Dyke March is smaller and more personal. People tend to just jump in and join the March, where with the Pride Parade there are rails up to keep us all out. It's wicked fun.

I'd actually suggest checking out Toronto for Pride Week sometime if you've got the funds/time. I've only ever been to Toronto, Vancouver, and NYC Pride - so I don't have a huge frame of reference. But Toronto blew Vancouver and NYC especially out of the water. (The NYC parade was a huge freaking let-down. I mean, it's New York for crissakes! I expected so much more.)

Anyway, bowing out of this thread since it's not meant for me. But I really wanted to answer your question.

Y'all have fun!

(p/s - Nice thread title. I used to have a cat who I had named after Mo.)

BullDog
05-29-2010, 11:49 AM
Betenoire, we have our Pride Parade and the Dyke March. The Dyke March is the night before but is separate from the "official" Pride celebration. The Dyke March is where you find all the renegades (with lots of hot kick ass femmes in the mix ::tease:). It's kind of a protest in a way to the official Pride but part of Pride weekend also.

One year a bunch of us Portlanders were at Hobos (local gay establishment) having drinks before the Dyke March. We were having so much fun we almost missed the march. Fortunately Lips noticed we are almost late and led the charge. We ended up running through the march instead of watching it.

My cell phone went off and I thought it might be some of the contingent, so I answered. It was my mother. She was calling to tell me what a good time she had with my brother in Washington, D.C. So I spent the last part of the march nodding and saying "yes Mom sounds great" as I kept running through downtown Portland in the march and trying to keep up with my friends and the dykes.

Kobi
05-30-2010, 01:04 AM
Wanted to share an interesting article on Alapine, a lesbian community in Alabama.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/01/fashion/01womyn.html?pagewanted=all

AtLast
05-30-2010, 04:56 AM
I am going to throw this out there cuz it has been on my mind lately.

I came out in the rights movement age and when lesbian rights/visibility was a monumental thing. Having been out of the loop for a while.....I still see gay pride marches going on, and I see the political organizations for rights i.e. for the entire alternative lifestyle umbrella community.

In SF, there are 3 parades!!! A Dyke parade (with a whole lot of B-F folks), a Trans parade and the general Gay parade.

In some ways, I wish we would just all march together to show solidarity.

AtLast
05-30-2010, 05:01 AM
Yup, I'm a dyke, a butch, a feminist and a queer! It all fits together for me. I claim lesbian as well along with dyke.

Kobi
05-30-2010, 06:53 AM
http://www.alapine.com/

Stoney
05-30-2010, 07:41 AM
this may be just what this site needed.

As long as we can remain respectful to each others space the better we will understand it.

I have read many threads on topics and lifestyles different from my own, but thats what I do read them. I try not to comment or poke my face and interject my opinion on things that arent my cup of tea. Sure sometimes I dont agree with some of the things I read , but I simply read something else.

I think a lesbian space can and should be included here. as well as a Trans zone,
I read posts in femme threads ,I may thank a post but I rarely comment because I dont feel it is my place to tell a femme my opinion on being a femme cause Im not. If we are talking about being female in general than , yes, I can relate and may comment.
I do not lurk other threads too often, but it is nice sometimes to get a better understanding of my B-F brothers and sisters, ALL OF US individually and in relation to the community. I honestly have educated my self a great deal on this site about transgender issues but rarely comment unless someone is, well for lack of a better way to say it , stirrin' up shit in an area I feel they have no business to really form an opinion, . Okay(I said lack of better words) I don't mean physically or on the site , every one has a right to be here but sometimes I feel people purposely jump in on threads to argue and such. likeif I went to a Male ID thread and started on about being a lesbian and how I think men are this or that....that crap is so unnecessary.
to each his/her own, Live and let live. I bet if we met each other face to face we would probably all like the hell out of each other and kiss and make up ya know?

we have a camaraderie and we have differences, differences that make us unique and individual, differences and similarities that bring us together.

I have scrapped off a little bit of my radical feminist persona , tried to change my wording when it comes to men in general but ....it doesnt change the way I feel a whole lot now I think I am comfortable with the views I hold with regard to feminism, men in general, women, lesbians,misogyny as well as how it relates to me and the men and womyn in "my" life

I think this " lesbian Zone" should be a safe open space where lesbians can speak freely about being a lesbian with out being challenged . For me there is no reason and never has been , to go to a Trans-space or a femme space for that matter, and start a debate with the people about how they feel about themselves.

Thank you bulldog, or Linus who ever it was that got this thread going.,

I think this may be the separation that helps to bring us all together.

It gives us the opportunity to demonstrate respect and acceptance, as well as support. I for one, will continue to keep my nose and opinion out of male - Id'ed threads.
There is a place to meet in the middle here,

I Think of the tall magnificent oak tree, it can stand all alone in the middle of the field, radiant and strong, or it can stand next to a towering green pine, red leaf maple, or a beautiful white birch.
Does this take away from its magnificence? is it no longer an oak tree? of course not!
It only makes it a important and necessary part needed to make up a colorful mighty and beautiful forest.

Namaste' all......
Peace and Love,
Stoney

Kobi
05-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Stoney,

I agree. It is nice to have a lesbian space to celebrate who we are along with the other zones. We have commonalities, we have differences. To have our own respective places gives us the ability to deal with, talk about things that are unique to our own affliations, while giving us the freedom to come together in commonality.

Like you, I do peruse other zones and areas. As a dinosaur with a lot to catch up on, I find everything provides the opportunity to learn something new.

Like you, I try and respect others spaces and not post in their spaces. It just seems to be common courtesy to me.

Anyway, am looking forward to the development of this zone and all it could become.

BullDog
05-30-2010, 09:16 AM
I started the thread before there was a Lesbian Zone. It was a thread created by a Dyke/Lesbian (me) for other dykes and lesbians, as well as our friends and allies.

I am happy the Lesbian Zone was set up by the Administration and Tech because I think it does create space that is needed and gives visibility, which is especially important to people new to the site. That said, obviously lesbians are going to be participating in lots of other areas of the site, depending on their areas of interest.

christie
06-01-2010, 08:58 AM
http://www.alapine.com/

Thanks, Kobi! This looks like a really cool place!

We might have to change our vacation plans.

Kobi
06-01-2010, 09:03 AM
Yes, it does look like a cool concept to live in a community of just women/lesbians. I have been trying to contact them, without success so far, r.e. setting up a tour. Thanks, Kobi! This looks like a really cool place!

We might have to change our vacation plans.

Jess
06-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Yes, it does look like a cool concept to live in a community of just women/lesbians. I have been trying to contact them, without success so far, r.e. setting up a tour.

I recall some controversy about one particular womens owned land in which someone got shot or there was some sort of violence. I can't however recall if it was ALA or GA. I do remember a huge nationwide concern in lesbians communities after it happened. It wasn't by chance this place was it?

Kobi
06-01-2010, 10:29 AM
Jess,

They didnt mention anything of that nature for this particular community in this location.

I recall some controversy about one particular womens owned land in which someone got shot or there was some sort of violence. I can't however recall if it was ALA or GA. I do remember a huge nationwide concern in lesbians communities after it happened. It wasn't by chance this place was it?

Sam
06-01-2010, 02:52 PM
I honestly try not to use either.

I agree with the ones that say the "straight" world seems to refer to us all (our community) as lesbians or dykes. I however, do not feel i am either.

I identify as a gay femme. That is what I prefer. So many labels ...so little time....

femme

:bunchflowers:

JustBeingMe
06-01-2010, 03:33 PM
This is a lesbian owned bed and breakfast located off the San Marcos River, just outside of Austin. www.riverbarnsuites.com. The owner has kayaks for use and takes you on kayak rides down the river if the river is up enough. IT's a really nice place.

JustJo
06-01-2010, 03:38 PM
This is a lesbian owned bed and breakfast located off the San Marcos River, just outside of Austin. www.riverbarnsuites.com. The owner has kayaks for use and takes you on kayak rides down the river if the river is up enough. IT's a really nice place.

I love that everyone is posting these things.....maybe we need a Lesbian vacations thread???

BullDog
06-01-2010, 03:39 PM
I love that everyone is posting these things.....maybe we need a Lesbian vacations thread???

Well I definitely know there are lots of us lesbians who need a vacation! :D

JustJo
06-01-2010, 03:44 PM
Well I definitely know there are lots of us lesbians who need a vacation! :D

* raising hand *

I do! I do!

purepisces
06-02-2010, 07:57 PM
Oh, I can't believe that I am so late to the thread. Yes, I'm another proud lesbian/dyke!

I love, love, love this thread!!!

Kobi
06-02-2010, 08:02 PM
Welcome purepisces. We left the light on for ya :)

christie
06-03-2010, 06:12 AM
Jess and I have been looking at lesbianesque vacations. I think we have decided to attend Women's Week in Ptown. I must admit, I have never been to Ptown - ya'll don't go revoking my dyke card now, yahear?

In looking for accomodations, we found http://womeninnkeepers.com/, all lesbian/dyke owned B&Bs.

We also found http://pearlsrainbow.com/ in Key West. I'm not up for driving that far and flying these days, well, I have privacy issues with the TSA and their practices and have made the decision I will only fly in a have-to situation.

We have a mini vacation coming up in a couple of weeks with a trip back to Nashville to see my folks - I don't really think of it as a vacation when you have to endure the whole famn damily. LOL

NJFemmie
06-03-2010, 06:13 AM
Don't feel bad, the first time I've been to Ptown was a couple of years ago. Mare and I decided on a whim to take a road trip and that's where we ended up.

JustBeingMe
06-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Hell I need an EXTENDED STAY on Vacation. I am so burnt out it's not even August yet. LOL

rawk
06-09-2010, 07:13 PM
new here, but love seeing this thread! I've been a proud dyke for most of my adult/out life. I refer to myself that way even. I feel like it empowers me to show that a nice woman, who looks like society's stereotype of "trouble" in my leather jacket, wallet chain, baby-face with short hair, and tatts doesn't give a rip when someone calls me a dyke. I usually just say, "It's Mr. Dyke. Get it right." and keep walking.

Or I just look at them and say, "Boo!"

Viva la Dyke:)

Kobi
06-09-2010, 07:57 PM
Welcome rawk! Always nice to see a new face. Hope you enjoy your stay with us. new here, but love seeing this thread! I've been a proud dyke for most of my adult/out life. I refer to myself that way even. I feel like it empowers me to show that a nice woman, who looks like society's stereotype of "trouble" in my leather jacket, wallet chain, baby-face with short hair, and tatts doesn't give a rip when someone calls me a dyke. I usually just say, "It's Mr. Dyke. Get it right." and keep walking.

Or I just look at them and say, "Boo!"

Viva la Dyke:)

lipstixgal
06-10-2010, 08:54 AM
Gay femme here or lesbian whatever you call it these days. However I prefer lesbian(f)

Luckydwg07
06-10-2010, 11:39 AM
I too have had run ins with people calling me dyke in a derogatory way. I also believe demographics can play a roll in the use of the term.
dyke where I live also denoted ignorrance...e.g. "stupid dyke" and it usually came from a (drunkin')male person. it is /was a put down. now a days when I hear dyke its can be a negative term from a homosexual. dykes are considered by some of my friends as "mean, snotty,big mouths,(sometimes softball types)types" that harass the rest of the homosexuals in the bar, club
Don't put what I say as being my gospel PLEASE!! don't do that. I have yet to define myself in any such definite term and I admire the people who know themselves as well as they do (I'll wish to have that same type of confidence about myself one day) I'm sticking with butch for now because I certainly am not feminine. Terminology to me evolves along with the human condition after all we invented the terms and can reinvent them as well
Metro, bulldog and the rest..... I always enjoy the thoughts you put out there
Thanks for the thread

naturlover_52
07-01-2010, 09:29 PM
I am really glad that this page got started. How do identify....as a lesbian and a soft butch one. I have a hard time w/ the terms Dyke and w/ Queer. Mainly because that is not how I see myself. I think w/ the term Dyke, because it has been used for many years as a way of putting us down. As for Queer I know that it is has several connotations, but for me I feel that I don't fit the dictionary definition.

I don't care for labels...I am just me. I am a 41 soft butch lesbian who loves other soft butch women.

NOW I just need to find one near me.

AtLast
07-01-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm good with dyke, queer, butch.... Yet, there are times on the site (and the old one) that I too, just get tired of our preoccupation with labels overall. I want to know about the person, not a label.

It is really interesting to see how different age groups, locations, gender identifications and just personal history differ with these terms. But, this is exactly why looking at the individual and what they have experienced is much more valuable than the labels attached to them.

I am mainly a lesbian when I do look at my core.

Daktari
07-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Oh my giddy aunt! I love you lot, and this site, you challenge me to think and question all sorts about myself and learn about how other folks experience the world too.

I've always considered myself a third gender; I happily id'd as Dyke and Queer for donkeys years; much later in life I found that Genderqueer was an empowering label for me; I prefer masculine pronouns for myself; I'm very happy to be a Genderqueer Dyke.

Whenever I've been called "dyke" as an epithet (it's a very rare occurrence for those that call other folks names generally assume I'm a fella until I open my mouth and speak) I usually commend them on their accurate powers of observation - one just has to encourage the less fortunate when they get something right! :winky:

My girl is a Queer Femme but also happy to id as a Dyke.

I have many friends who refuse to claim the label Dyke or Queer, they're Lesbian or Gay.

I struggle with 'gay' I'm definitely not 'gay', I'm far too grumpy to ever be described thus :cheesy:

BullDog
07-16-2010, 09:55 AM
Happy Friday Dykes, Lesbians and Friends. It's been a little quiet in the Lesbian Zone lately. Hopefully that's because everyone is enjoying their summer! ;) Welcome to rawk, naturlover_52, Incubus and anyone else new to the thread that I missed.

The_Lady_Snow
07-16-2010, 09:57 AM
http://www.submitshare.com/img/tgif.png

!!!

Apocalipstic
07-16-2010, 03:18 PM
TGIF indeed!

I have never been in here because I thought it was about the cartoon, and I have not read it in so long, I was not sure what I would say....

But since it is not just about the cartoon.....here goes....

I ID as Dyke first and have since back in 1983. One day I was walking down my hall in my college dorm and someone called me a "Fag" behind my back. I spun around and before I could even think...my mouth said "if you are going to call me names, then get your terms right, I am a Dyke, D-Y-K-E!" spun back around and marched off down the hall of my East Tennessee Southern Baptist college with a sneer on my face and my head held high!

I have never had any desire to attend a women's music festival...when I first came out I was given so much crap for being girly that the last place I wanted to be was women's land.....plus I think it might at the very least involve sharing a bathroom....eeek.

I've never really listened to Lesbian music much (meaning at all) unless whomever I was dating at the time made me.

I was thrilled in the 90's to find the B-F community, I had no idea that there were Dykes out there who like Dykes like me. Yeay!

Great thread BullDog!

lipstixgal
07-16-2010, 03:26 PM
I id as a lesbian femme woman but have used the term dyke but really don't like it much. I guess it depends on the person but I would rather someone call me a lesbian!!

BullDog
07-16-2010, 03:48 PM
Ha ha Apocalipstic, it's about time you found us. The thread title is a play on words with the cartoon- I do love it. And anyway the watch out part sounds so sinister- heh, heh.

Lipstixgal, I am happy to call you a lesbian! :D

Some people use lesbian, some dyke, some both. I am happy everyone is accepting of both in this thread. I thought it would be inclusive to use both and also helped with my thread title ;) I do understand that dyke is used as a slur but it has also been reclaimed by some of us. Thanks for the great convo on this everyone.

Apocalipstic
07-16-2010, 03:56 PM
Ha ha Apocalipstic, it's about time you found us. The thread title is a play on words with the cartoon- I do love it. And anyway the watch out part sounds so sinister- heh, heh.

Lipstixgal, I am happy to call you a lesbian! :D

Some people use lesbian, some dyke, some both. I am happy everyone is accepting of both in this thread. I thought it would be inclusive to use both and also helped with my thread title ;) I do understand that dyke is used as a slur but it has also been reclaimed by some of us. Thanks for the great convo on this everyone.

I sooo want to be thought of as a sinister Dyke! I want to be given the Dyke nod and feared.

Alas, I look like a fluffy Sunday School teacher. But there is no compliment I perk up for more than Dyke :)

Lesbian is ok. I use it when I have to tell people I am one....as in "pass the salsa I'm a lesbian". Or on medical documents.

Gay....ehhhhh....whatev.

Queer kind of makes me happy too, but not as much as Dyke.

Maybe the more transgressive it sounds the happier it makes me? Even though somehow, I have ended up being pretty settled and behaved in my middle age. :glasses:

I wish I could be a BullDyke, but in men's clothes I look like Truman Capote. :|

AtLast
07-16-2010, 04:57 PM
The admin recently added lesbian-phobia/phobic to the TOS in the list of isms/language, etc. to be moderated on the Planet!! KEWL!! Way kewl!! Way aware!!

5. No Intolerant Behavior! - Racially offensive, Sizist, Sexist, Transphobic, Classist, Elitist, Misogynist, Homophobic, Lesbian-phobic or otherwise hateful speech is NOT acceptable here. If you make an asshattish or hateful comment, you can expect your fellow community members to want to engage with you about it. Also, making a comment that is racist, ageist, sexist, sizist, Lesbian-phobic or generally offensive and then adding "It's just my opinion" or "It's my First Amendment Right!" does NOT negate your personal accountability for what you just said.

BarbaraRyan
07-18-2010, 07:39 AM
Adding my two cents as a newbie:

When I think of the word Dyke, I think "earthy" or "practical". Both awesome things.

But I have a particular love for the word Lesbian. To me there is something poetic about it. It evokes romantic images of chocolate and wine. (A little cheesy, I know).

imperfect_cupcake
07-18-2010, 09:49 AM
Lesbian took me a little while to come to. I vociferously refused to ID as lesbian (though dyke was ever so slightly less offensive) when I came out. Mainly because the vast majority of lesbians I knew were very much anti... me. The *dykes* I knew were more butch-butch leather in seattle; the *lesbians* I knew were... fairly narrow minded, not very well travelled, not exposed to much, didn't like the way I looked (politically and publicialy. they didn't mind trapping me in a dark corner at a party though) and didn't understand my particular tastes, sexually.

So I refused to identify with them if they refused to accept me.

Then I met all of the kick-ass lesbians when I started to travel as a queer - ones who had done all this serious work to be recognised as a lesbian. I met lesbians from all kinds of political/sexual "wars" between groups of feminists.

And I was asked "do you recognise that they are lesbian?" Yes. "do you recognise the work they did for that?" yes. "but you are willing to sit on your ass and sulk about not being accepted by people? do you do that with the rest of your life as well?"

No. I don't. So I reclaimed lesbian, for me. I didn't start at lesbian first. I was queer for a few years while I refused to be associated with "those" lesbians.

I learned I didn't have to be. I don't have to be associated with *ANYONE* just because they have the same sexuality (even if it's expressed differently), or back ground or whatever. People are not the same wherever you go. Lesbian is *NOT* the same where ever you go. Niether is butch or femme.

I learned that the short sighted with little wordly experienced lesbians I come out to were not what all lesbians everywhere were like. And to say they were would be bigoted and short sighted of me to not recognise that humans differ vastly.

When I got to Toronto, I met tons of lesbians who didn't give a shit that a presented very feminine. I found I could be friends with many non-butch, non-femme lesbians - unlike the idiots I had previously known. when I came to London... my world exploded. I walked into my first lesbian bar (Mineries. LMAO. far from classy but I love that place every once in a rare while) and no one asked me if I was straight or bi or a poodle. No one fuckin *cared*.

I walked into the bathroom and it was thronging with girls in feminine little hip dresses, toussled hair, re-applying masses of make up and clicking about in heels.

I remember thinking "oh thank fuck."

I have met the biggest diversity of lesbians ever imaginable in london. Some unimaginable. There are fewer rules and no one gives a shit. It's allowed me to pick exactly what I want to be, how I want to be.

Now I mainly hang in gender-queer clubs with a dyke backbone to it. That's really my favourite comfort zone.

I'm a queer dyke lesbian femme. Or just barb, most of the time.

JustBeingMe
11-24-2010, 03:26 PM
I peeked in because I thought I'd find myself on a Top Ten Most Wanted list.
:harley:

Metro
;)

OH don't you know but YOU ARE and the Leader of the Pack too.....LMAO.:hangloose:

BullDog
11-24-2010, 03:29 PM
Lesbians, Dykes & Friends- you are all on the most wanted list. Happy Holidays!

Starbuck
11-29-2010, 05:24 AM

Sometimes I hear

I couldn't help but laugh at that one! That was funny, I don't care who ya are!

1PlayfulFemme
11-29-2010, 01:41 PM
How is it possible I am JUST NOW stumbling upon this thread? ;)

I, too, loved the strip (mmhmm THE strip...as in comic...we'll not discuss the action of stripping...not yet anyway) a million and one years ago! (Which is EXACTLY how long ago I came out, btw!)

And with all that being said...I id as a femme lesbian...but, I have always loved the shock effect of the word dyke...especially coming out of my pretty little lips. I love the butches who have told me that it's far too crass of a word to come out of said lips. I love the look on their faces when I tell them that I don't accept misogyny. Regardless of what you think of my lips, the words that come out of them are entirely up to me.

I found great power in the word 'dyke' in my tiny lil sleepy southern hometown. A million years ago (just a year after I came out, remember) a very uptight woman at the mall glanced at my girlfriend and I as we passed her in the mall (we were, indeed holding hands). Her eyes were glued to us! Finally, after she passed, she muttered, "Lesbians. Disgusting." I turned (In my youthful wisdom) and said, "Dykes, thank you..and if it was so disgusting, why couldn't you take your eyes off it, Sweetheart?" And we walked away.

Truth be told, I would probaly do the same thing today ;)

So, I will wrap myself up in the word dyke, fully happy with the id lesbian, and coming to love queer as a description for myself..cuz I find that when you are happy with yourself and you accept yourself for exactly who you are, you take the hurting power out of the words that the world hurls at you like stones...

NJFemmie
11-30-2010, 05:08 PM
I'm still practicing...

dyke

dyke

dyke

*sigh*

It gets better.

dykeumentary
12-04-2010, 09:21 PM
I LOVE being a dyke!

And I love "dykes to watch out for" too.

proximitywithoutintimacy
02-14-2011, 01:09 PM
I've never liked the "f" word, and y'all know which one I mean... haha... the other one I like very much - FML for example ;) But, ah, it just bothers me... a lot.

However, anything else goes. I've called myself a homo, gay, lesbian, dyke, etc. I guess it just depends on whatever comes out of my mouth at the time.

girl_dee
02-14-2011, 02:49 PM
growing up the word *dyke* was meant for motorcycle riding, wallet chain, mullet sporting lesbians.. (ok yum minus the mullet)... femmes were not dykes. Dykes were dykes.

So of course being a femme and a rebel.. and all growed up now.. I love being a DYKE!!!

I have never used the word lesbian.. yup dyke fits me... :):girlonatv:

Lillie
02-15-2011, 07:47 PM
I never minded being called a dyke..or a lesbo..I always knew who I was and a label need not be applied for me to know it..I id as a femme lesbian..and I love butch woman..always have always will..but I love all woman..I see their beauty whether they are butch, femme, trans or what have you..woman are b e a u t i f u l ....

but thats just me :)..a big ole lesbian...and proud of it...

JoSchmooze
02-15-2011, 08:31 PM
I like this thread! Nice thoughts, very thought provoking...

When I am intro'd to a straight person by another straight....I tell the new person...
"don't be scared of me, I'm just a dumpy dyke....the "token" dyke here at the club".

But when I am feeling good about myself...I just say..."watch out, hide all the women!"
ROFLMAO......

:cigar2: :cigar2: :cigar2:

PumaJ
02-25-2011, 02:26 AM
Reading the many fabulous posts in this thread caused me to remember a very sweet "statement button" given to me many, many years ago by my very Butch partner at that time. The button read: Dyke Princess, printed in purple on a pink background.

I'm going to have to look around and see if I still have that button:-)

Sachita
02-25-2011, 05:22 AM
No sure who I am other then me. If I started breaking it down into little pieces it would take all day. BUT I do like butches- lesbian identified masculine butch women. Took me a bit to figure that out, among other things in my life but I finally did!

free-to-be
04-30-2011, 09:51 AM
I, too, prefer lesbian over dyke. Dyke is such a harsh-sounding word and is often used harshly. Sapphic, now that's another word I like!

Happy Saturday everyone!

BullDog
04-30-2011, 09:59 AM
Free-to-be, welcome to BFP and this thread. Yes, there are some lesbians who don't like the word dyke. I personally like both. It has been used as a slur against me, but I have reclaimed it. I kinda like that it sounds harsh, heh heh.

morningstar55
04-30-2011, 10:08 AM
interesting thread............. :)
i find that no matter how we all identify ...... to the general public be it str8 or gay .... we are al consider'd lesbians...
only thing is ........ in cringe when someone refer's to my dates as ..... a girl.
like as in ...... how are you ladies doing tonight??
or.... how was your date with your gf ???
i really cant seem to think of my stone butch/ or tg dates as ahhhh girl..
i tend to correct the statment when said. heh........

Captain Franki
04-30-2011, 05:54 PM

I suppose I'm not, myself, a lesbian -when I'm honest with myself, I know I could have feelings for someone of any sex or gender- but I have much appreciation, respect and gratitude for everything my lesbian sisters have done and continue to do on behalf of the whole community. <3

just want to concur with all of this!

i'm queer and trans but don't feel ive ever been a lesbian... after all i was effectively a 'straight girl' for most of my life, then circling around 'bi curious but only in theory' , later gaining the title of 'straight/bi faghag with lots of gay friends' before going directly to 'trans and also gay no wait bi no wait queer'. i sort of had a bi 'intermediate' but I never have had that lesbian first stage that seems massively prevalent, assumed even.

but i definitely feel a solid part of the liberal broadly queer lesbian id community. i love snuggling in its cosy not always metaphorical bosom. hit and miss with others. i love close male friendship and hanging out in male company but i find there is a cumulative toxic buildup of machismo if i spend too long with too many guys.

BullDog
08-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Happy August and Monday to all the Lesbians, Dykes, Friends and/or Allies (cuz most of us can't just choose one).

For this Butch Dyke today is a sunshiney, laundry, bill paying kind of day, interspersed with much laughter, smiles and general all-around gaiety.

Feel free to stop and say hi or chat anytime. Everyone is of course welcome and all convos... anything goes from fluff to hard core... as long as you like Lesbians, Dykes and of course Alison Bechdel. :D

:LGBTQFlag:

luv2luvgirls
08-01-2011, 01:06 PM
cool thread! im tired of people labling me then when I dont fit in thier nice box of perception...wanna say im not what I know I am...ME :)

Flying my Freak Flag high and proud!!

Martina
08-01-2011, 01:30 PM
http://www.outhistory.org/wiki/images/4/40/Svc_dtwof.jpg

The_Lady_Snow
08-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Hi everyone!!!!!

Martina
08-01-2011, 02:12 PM
http://www.anthonynotes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/easter_beagle.jpg

princessbelle
08-01-2011, 02:28 PM
Weeeeeeeeee what a great thread!!!!!

Howdy all!!!!

I love the words/IDs/all of the above of Lesbian and Dykes.

All are hawt!!!!

girl_dee
08-01-2011, 03:12 PM
I resonate with the word Dyke, FemmeDyke to be specific. I've been gay my whole life and never been a lesbian.

oblivia
08-01-2011, 04:04 PM
eel free to stop and say hi or chat anytime. Everyone is of course welcome and all convos... anything goes from fluff to hard core... as long as you like Lesbians, Dykes and of course Alison Bechdel. :D

Ummmm who's Alison Bechdel?

JustJo
08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Good evening all :)

http://www.pinestreetartworks.com/images/614053_d11e19200b_m_d_1.jpg

The_Lady_Snow
08-01-2011, 05:56 PM
Good Evening!!!!!

princessbelle
08-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Ummmm who's Alison Bechdel?

http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/niki_belle75/abechdel.jpg

Alison Bechdel began keeping a journal at the age of ten, and has been assiduously archiving her own life and times with words and pictures ever since. For twenty-five years she wrote and drew the comic strip Dykes to Watch Out For, a generational chronicle considered “one of the preeminent oeuvres in the comics genre, period.” (Ms.)

She is also the author of the best-selling Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic, which won an Eisner Award and was a National Book Critics Circle Award Finalist. Time Magazine named Fun Home the number one Best Book of 2006, calling the memoir about her father, “A masterpiece about two people who live in the same house but different worlds, and their mysterious debts to each other.”

Fun Home and Dykes to Watch Out For have been translated into many languages. Bechdel has drawn comics for Slate, McSweeney’s, Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times Book Review, and Granta, among other places.

Bechdel lives near Burlington, Vermont.http://dykestowatchoutfor.com/

Had to look it up. Didn't know either. Very interesting though. I think i'll look into getting one of her books.

oblivia
08-01-2011, 08:05 PM
http://i619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/niki_belle75/abechdel.jpg

Alison Bechdel began keeping a journal at the age of ten, and has been assiduously archiving her own life and times with words and pictures ever since. For twenty-five years she wrote and drew the comic strip Dykes to Watch Out For, a generational chronicle considered “one of the preeminent oeuvres in the comics genre, period.” (Ms.)

She is also the author of the best-selling Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic, which won an Eisner Award and was a National Book Critics Circle Award Finalist. Time Magazine named Fun Home the number one Best Book of 2006, calling the memoir about her father, “A masterpiece about two people who live in the same house but different worlds, and their mysterious debts to each other.”

Fun Home and Dykes to Watch Out For have been translated into many languages. Bechdel has drawn comics for Slate, McSweeney’s, Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times Book Review, and Granta, among other places.

Bechdel lives near Burlington, Vermont.http://dykestowatchoutfor.com/

Had to look it up. Didn't know either. Very interesting though. I think i'll look into getting one of her books.

Wow!!!

I had no idea. Shows how little exposure I have had to so many parts of the lesbian community.

I came out as a lesbian when I was 19 years old. But I never really spent much time in the lesbian community, because I didn't feel like I belonged, which may be more a reflection of the particular bits of lesbian community I was exposed to at such a vulnerable point in my coming out process than on the lesbian community at large.

So, I'm sorta dipping my toe in... I've been calling myself a Queer Femme and not claiming the word lesbian since I found out that Femme was what I was. But I think I missed out on some stuff too.... so I'm going to peek in on y'all now and then... learn.... that sort of thing. :)

princessbelle
08-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Wow!!!

I had no idea. Shows how little exposure I have had to so many parts of the lesbian community.

I came out as a lesbian when I was 19 years old. But I never really spent much time in the lesbian community, because I didn't feel like I belonged, which may be more a reflection of the particular bits of lesbian community I was exposed to at such a vulnerable point in my coming out process than on the lesbian community at large.

So, I'm sorta dipping my toe in... I've been calling myself a Queer Femme and not claiming the word lesbian since I found out that Femme was what I was. But I think I missed out on some stuff too.... so I'm going to peek in on y'all now and then... learn.... that sort of thing. :)

Girl!!!!! I feel the same way!!!! I claimed "lesbian" when i came out to myself at least, oh so many years ago. I was so young and alone and didn't understand anything really.

What pushed me away from the word is the fact that, at least for me, TV, movies, etc, seem to portray lesbians as two apparent femmes. I thought, omg that is so not me, i'm attracted to butches, therefore i am not a lesbian. And then, like you, i found these sites and realized immediately that femme was something i could claim and become part of the butch femme scene.

The information of late that is being talked about here regarding the BV stuff has got me thinking more about it lately. I don't know anything about what is going on but it has opened a door, at least for me, to do some exploring. I left that word because of what...tv?

I am sticking my toe back in as well. I certainly think we both, and more maybe, could be missing a lot.

*hugs

BullDog
08-01-2011, 11:39 PM
Thank you Princessbelle for the info on Alison Bechdel. Yes she is the cartoonist for the classic lesbian comic strip "Dykes To Watch Out For." I looked it up and it ran from 1983-2008, so I basically grew up on it because yes I remember reading it in the 1980s when I was in college in Santa Cruz, CA. I am an old dyke who forgets not everyone has been immersed in lesbian culture like I have or is as old as me, lol.

"Leaping Lesbians" refers to a classic song by Meg Christian from the 1970s with Olivia Records, who also did other classics like "Ode to a Gym Teacher." This proves that Liam is an old fogey like me. :D

JustJo
08-02-2011, 06:52 AM
Thank you Princessbelle for the info on Alison Bechdel. Yes she is the cartoonist for the classic lesbian comic strip "Dykes To Watch Out For." I looked it up and it ran from 1983-2008, so I basically grew up on it because yes I remember reading it in the 1980s when I was in college in Santa Cruz, CA. I am an old dyke who forgets not everyone has been immersed in lesbian culture like I have or is as old as me, lol.

"Leaping Lesbians" refers to a classic song by Meg Christian from the 1970s with Olivia Records, who also did other classics like "Ode to a Gym Teacher." This proves that Liam is an old fogey like me. :D

Do I qualify as an old fogey? I had to order a new copy of Changer and The Changed a couple years ago because the old one was played to death. :)

BTW....if anyone wants any of her music, her own website is here (http://www.criswilliamson.com/about/music/the_changer.html)...support the woman!

oblivia
08-02-2011, 01:14 PM
Girl!!!!! I feel the same way!!!! I claimed "lesbian" when i came out to myself at least, oh so many years ago. I was so young and alone and didn't understand anything really.

What pushed me away from the word is the fact that, at least for me, TV, movies, etc, seem to portray lesbians as two apparent femmes. I thought, omg that is so not me, i'm attracted to butches, therefore i am not a lesbian. And then, like you, i found these sites and realized immediately that femme was something i could claim and become part of the butch femme scene.

The information of late that is being talked about here regarding the BV stuff has got me thinking more about it lately. I don't know anything about what is going on but it has opened a door, at least for me, to do some exploring. I left that word because of what...tv?

I am sticking my toe back in as well. I certainly think we both, and more maybe, could be missing a lot.

*hugs

Exactly!!!! It's the BV stuff that has me thinking about the word "lesbian" all over again with a totally different perspective.

Daywalker
08-02-2011, 01:30 PM
8UK2kTSC7Iw

Jovi Radtke

A local Sacramento Spoken Word Artist
I went to Mondo Bizarro to promote BV

I also secured Jovi a spot in the
BV National Conference for this month.

I look forward to more from Jovi, and sharing
the stage with so many other Talented Butches.
:wine:

:daywalker:

LipstickLola
08-02-2011, 01:49 PM
Hey y'all :)

Imma lesbian, and the princess (old fogey too) LOL
:princess:

OS Butch
08-03-2011, 06:19 AM
I will cross post this to a couple other threads.

Lesbian Connection, aka LC, is a magazine I have superscribed to for years.
It arrives quarterly in my mailbox in an indiscreet manila envelope!
It is a quick read with only 50 pages. They are reprinting the series "Dykes to Watch out For"
The subscription fee is sliding scale free to anyone world wide and $42 for those that can afford it. Donations and gift subscriptions are appreciated!
I am not on the staff, I am just worried that without support, this little rag will vanish as has the woman's bookstores that use to be.

Elsie Publishing
EPI
PO Box 811
East
Lansing, Mi 48826
(517)371-5257 (M-F) noon- 6pm ET
elsiepub@aol.com

www.LConline.org

The_Lady_Snow
08-03-2011, 09:13 AM
Western press largely overlooks heroism of lesbian couple in Norway massacre
By Laura Rozen | The Envoy - 22 hrs ago

As Norway continues to grapple with the attacks by a home-grown extremist that killed 77 people last month, one couple, who moved to help young people fleeing from gunman Anders Breivik, is getting a bit of belated recognition.

Hege Dalen and her wife, Toril Hansen, were eating dinner on July 22nd on the other shore from Utoya island when they heard screaming, the Finnish newspaper Helsingin Sannomat reported.<<disallowed word>> After bombing government buildings in Oslo, Breivik had come to the island dressed as a policeman and went on to shoot more than 100 young people attending a Labour party camp there.

"We were eating," Dalen told the newspaper. "Then shooting and then the awful screaming. We saw how the young people ran in panic into the lake."

The couple took off in their boat for the island, picking up shocked victims from the water and transporting them to the mainland. They made four runs in all, helping rescue some 40 of Breivik's victims, the paper reported.

"Between runs they saw that the bullets had hit the right side of the boat," the paper wrote.

Some lesbian-gay news sites and blogs have picked up the account in recent days, noting the same-sex married heroes of the story haven't gotten much attention in the Western press.

BullDog
08-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Good morning Dykes, Lesbians and Friends!

Thank you OS Butch and Snow for keeping us informed.

I am happy the Lesbian Zone is more active these days and we are all sharing our thoughts, frustrations, culture and news. :)

I hope everyone's summer day is splendid.

The_Lady_Snow
08-03-2011, 09:29 AM
Good Mid Morning!!!!

Toughy
08-03-2011, 11:05 AM
I will cross post this to a couple other threads.

Lesbian Connection, aka LC, is a magazine I have superscribed to for years.
It is a quick read with only 50 pages. They are reprinting the series "Dykes to Watch out For"
The subscription fee is sliding scale free to anyone world wide and $42 for those that can afford it. Donations and gift subscriptions are appreciated!
I am not on the staff, I am just worried that without support, this little rag will vanish as has the woman's bookstores that use to be.

Elsie Publishing
EPI
PO Box 811
East
Lansing, Mi 48826
elsiepub@aol.com

www.LConline.org

hey OS..........I need to ask if you would please make your font larger. I have to go find my reading glasses to read any of your posts. I've been meaning to ask this for a long time now

thanks

OS Butch
08-03-2011, 12:09 PM
hey OS..........I need to ask if you would please make your font larger. I have to go find my reading glasses to read any of your posts. I've been meaning to ask this for a long time now

thanks

You are not the 1st person to ask me this. My screen is showing the font huge....I must be my computer. This is 3, I have always used 1. What font size do you use?

Toughy
08-03-2011, 01:03 PM
You are not the 1st person to ask me this. My screen is showing the font huge....I must be my computer. This is 3, I have always used 1. What font size do you use?

laughin...........I have no idea what font size I use........probably the default.....

however whatever size you used for the above post is great.........I don't have to find my reading glasses or squint and create more forehead wrinkles.......laughin....

princessbelle
08-03-2011, 01:24 PM
I use font size 3. I think it also depends on what font you use as in comic sans, etc.

I am so glad you changed your size OS, as i told you in a rep, I don't think i've read anything you've typed really. I try, but i'm at the age that glasses are necessary sometimes but have not broken down yet to get them.

Anyway....hi, good to see you.

OS Butch
08-03-2011, 02:20 PM
laughin...........I have no idea what font size I use........probably the default.....

however whatever size you used for the above post is great.........I don't have to find my reading glasses or squint and create more forehead wrinkles.......laughin....

Ok, I will use this. But the funny thing is your font looks smaller than what I normally use, so I thought The 1 was a good size. I will try to use remember #3 from now on! Thanks for pointing it out.....along with everyone else!

OS Butch
08-03-2011, 02:22 PM
I use font size 3. I think it also depends on what font you use as in comic sans, etc.

I am so glad you changed your size OS, as i told you in a rep, I don't think i've read anything you've typed really. I try, but i'm at the age that glasses are necessary sometimes but have not broken down yet to get them.

Anyway....hi, good to see you.

:glasses:Okie dokie, LOL! I guess size does matter . But this font looks even bigger than your font.

CherylNYC
08-03-2011, 03:26 PM
:glasses:Okie dokie, LOL! I guess size does matter . But this font looks even bigger than your font.

Yup, size matters. And your's is bigger.

princessbelle
08-03-2011, 03:29 PM

Show off.

I think my font is bigger than your font.

Wanna draw a line in the sand? LOL

OS Butch
08-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Show off.

I think my font is bigger than your font.

Wanna draw a line in the sand? LOL

Ummmmm....that would not be my first choice :)

lettertodaddy
08-24-2011, 11:49 PM
Digging up an old thread just to say that I've always thought of myself as a dyke, regardless of who I'm with. It's an attitude, a way of looking at the world, and it's a badge of honour for me regardless of who I'm having sex with at the moment.

But mostly I like the word because it flips a finger at normalcy.

BullDog
08-25-2011, 09:08 AM
LettertoDaddy, welcome to the thread! I agree with you- to me Dyke is definitely all about attitude and a badge of honor and flippin the bird to normalcy. Very well said!

Good morning Dykes, Lesbians and Friends!

The_Lady_Snow
08-25-2011, 09:11 AM
Good Morning!!!!!

foxyshaman
08-25-2011, 09:19 AM
I love calling myself a Dyke. I like being a Dyke. I love the sound of the word as it rolls off my tongue.

And when I am feeling particularly spunky, a Dangerously Dorky Dyke... <the TRIPLE D THREAT!!>:cheesy:

Daywalker
08-25-2011, 09:24 AM
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQcnoVNYfj-o_77AquXCi24ND-TFgSpf7wRyJq7voSZ96EU9KiT3A

Patricia Manuel

Patricia "Cacahuate (Peanut)" Manuel is a featherweight professional boxer fighting out of the famed Commerce Boxing Club. The Commerce Boxing Club has produced numerous national amateur champions including two Olympic boxers. Manuel herself boasts four national titles consisting of two National Golden Gloves Champion, Ringside World Champion, and National PAL Champion.

On June 12th, Patricia Manuel won the 2009 National USA Championships

and became a member of the USA Boxing Team along with gaining

the number 1 ranking in the nation

Home: Commerce, CA

Birthday: July 22, 1985
Weight Class: Light Welterweight/132 lb/60 kg
Height: 5-6
Coach's Name: Roberto Luna
Club Name: Commerce Boxing Club
Began Boxing: 2003
Career Highlight: Winning National Golden Gloves
Who has been your biggest influence and why: My trainer. He motivates me to improve myself, both inside & outside of the ring.
How did you get involved in boxing: I was overweight and was looking for a way to get into shape.
What is your greatest strength in the ring: Work ethic and metnal fortitude.
Did you ever play any other sports: Softball
What do you love most about boxing: The discipline that is involved and the one-on-one competition.
What are your goals in and out of the ring: To represent the USA in the Olympics
What is your favorite TV show: Misadventures of Flapjack
What are your hobbies outside of boxing: Movies, surfing, music, reading
What is something interesting about you that most people don't know: I have a weakness for pork products.
:kungfu:

Peanut graced our Presence at the BV Conference.

It was a pleasure to shake her hand!
:aslIloveyou:
Watch for her in the 2012 Olympics where
Women's Boxing will finally become and Event!

:peacelove:

:daywalker:

lettertodaddy
08-26-2011, 09:27 AM
I love the sight of biceps in the morning. :D

Thanks for posting this Daywalker!

*Anya*
08-26-2011, 09:53 AM
I not only love biceps but abs and that "V" that most of us never get.

That V-shape on the lower abdomen that very lean body mass folks get that points down to the golden triangle of love...

Pink had it for a while before she had her baby.

lusciouskiwi
07-28-2012, 08:06 AM
I'm a dyke. Here's two other dykes:

LJcFbhTLBKY

bcelly1894
09-17-2012, 01:54 PM
the word dyke to me is just empowering and sexy at the same time.

DanieClarke
10-07-2012, 10:22 AM
I am a leaky Dyke .. well when i dream that is :)

lusciouskiwi
10-07-2012, 03:58 PM
I am a leaky Dyke .. well when i dream that is :)

Some of us leak when we're not dreaming :eyebat:

Bella~Vita
11-02-2012, 01:07 AM
I claim lesbian been one all my life. Most of my life I been attracted to stone butches,butches, i even had mad crushes on femmes when I was younger. I'm just me. As I get older I appreciate all people. But I would have to say proudly Iam a LESBIAN. :koolaid:

*Anya*
11-02-2012, 06:20 AM
I love this thread.

It was over a year ago that I posted in here and not many have posted since.

Thanks Kat for reviving it. Have a great day:)

For me:

I am a Lesbian.

I am not stone.

:cheerleader:

The_Lady_Snow
11-02-2012, 06:53 AM
HOLLA!!!!

8j19AWY78bM

OS Butch
11-02-2012, 07:16 AM
Bringing this back up with a bigger font:glasses:

Btw, Elsie Publishing Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.

Currently, Ambitious Amazons is updating their Contact Dyke listing. If you want to be added to their list, do it before November 30. I am on their CD List:)

Lesbian Connection, aka LC, is a magazine I have subscribed to for years.
The subscription fee is sliding scale free to anyone world wide and $42 suggested donation.
Donations and gift subscriptions are appreciated!

Elsie Publishing
EPI
PO Box 811
East
Lansing, Mi 48826
elsiepub@aol.com

www.LConline.org (http://www.LConline.org)

*Anya*
11-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Bringing this back up with a bigger font:glasses:

Btw, Elsie Publishing Institute is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.

Currently, Ambitious Amazons is updating their Contact Dyke listing. If you want to be added to their list, do it before November 30. I am on their CD List:)

Lesbian Connection, aka LC, is a magazine I have subscribed to for years.
The subscription fee is sliding scale free to anyone world wide and $42 suggested donation.
Donations and gift subscriptions are appreciated!

Elsie Publishing
EPI
PO Box 811
East
Lansing, Mi 48826
elsiepub@aol.com

www.LConline.org (http://www.LConline.org)

Thanks OS,

I remember how many publications there were when I first came out that are now defunct. Lesbian Tide, Lesbian News, On Our Backs (one of my personal favorites, ahem...)

I made a contribution to the Connection.

Thanks for the reminder.

OS Butch
11-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Thanks OS,

I remember how many publications there were when I first came out that are now defunct. Lesbian Tide, Lesbian News, On Our Backs (one of my personal favorites, ahem...)

Thanks for the reminder.

Great! I just visited the website for the 1st time. I see they take Paypal! I always look for the plain envelope. I don't know how they have made it, I am glad they have and that they still will send it free to anyone unable to afford the donation....Anywhere in the world, I think. Now that is a community service.

Parker
11-02-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks OS,

Thanks for the reminder.

On Our Backs was one of my faves as well - was so sorry to see that one go! :(

I remember being a baby dyke in the US Navy, living & stationed in San Diego, sitting in Club Bombay (which is gone now too, sadly), the local lesbian bar and reading the latest issue of that mag .... Sigh.

OS Butch
11-02-2012, 09:02 AM
On Our Backs was one of my faves as well - was so sorry to see that one go! :(

I remember being a baby dyke in the US Navy, living & stationed in San Diego, sitting in Club Bombay (which is gone now too, sadly), the local lesbian bar and reading the latest issue of that mag .... Sigh.

Yep, same here....though not in the military. I would head to the Phase on Friday night, the nation's oldest continuous lesbian bar, to pick up the Washington Blade....and play some pool:)

Parker
11-02-2012, 09:14 AM
Man, the memories that just produced ..... the DJ knew me and whenever I went to the bar, as soon as I walked in, she would play Melissa Etheridge's Like The Way I Do because it was my favorite; and my friends and I would sing that song at the top of our baby dyke lungs while the older dykes watched us with those knowing smiles on their faces ...

Now I *am* one of those older dykes who smiles at the younger generation when I see them out and about .... lol, a complete circle. :winky:

macele
11-02-2012, 09:43 AM
parker mentions melissa etheridge. what a trail she has left, and still kickin' it. we are fortunate to have her.

i don't know what it is with me, but so many times i've not liked people in my life when first meeting or seeing. and wouldn't like them for a long time after lol. but then somewhere down the line i fall for them. they become a major influence. i've done this with quite a few folks, ... etheridge is one. a butch friend had a huge admiration for her and i followed.

i remember as a teenager searching for songs with she and her, pronouns. or no pronouns. etheridge gave that to me. the lesbian community owes a lot to her. she will influence for years to come. think of all those that will search for someone like me and find etheridge.

*Anya*
11-02-2012, 09:50 AM
Man, the memories that just produced ..... the DJ knew me and whenever I went to the bar, as soon as I walked in, she would play Melissa Etheridge's Like The Way I Do because it was my favorite; and my friends and I would sing that song at the top of our baby dyke lungs while the older dykes watched us with those knowing smiles on their faces ...

Now I *am* one of those older dykes who smiles at the younger generation when I see them out and about .... lol, a complete circle. :winky:

This post made me teary!

I too, remember those days- not the baby dyke days, well, other than making my heart beat faster, looking at the baby and older dykes; but the days when it was all so new and exciting.

Those were really the best days of first coming out. Finding that missing piece of me, that I could finally feel like there was a place for me and that I was not strange or weird.

Being held in another woman's arms and feeling not only the heat that I had never felt with bio men but the true joy that bubbled up inside myself.

The clubs were where I really felt, for the first time, that I was home.

My people. My tribe. My women.

lusciouskiwi
11-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Reminds me of when I first started going to the monthly dances in Wellington - DOODs dykes out of debt. There was a committee and they would decide who to allocate funds to. I don't think it's going anymore :bigcry:

I remember, maybe the first one I attended, standing there looking around me and thinking, "wow, this is like being in a lolly shop, only it's lesbians, not lollies".

Martina
11-02-2012, 10:38 AM
This is part of my lesbian history. Mostly guys, but we went there too.

http://jim.rees.org/p/p01/pcd10/6650.jpg

dykeumentary
11-02-2012, 10:43 AM
I am glad I was a baby dyke long before the internet.
It felt like I'd joined a secret adventure club! Decoding the bar names, learning which softball leagues to play in, rugby tournaments, the earring placement and language games and nicknames....It seemed more exciting than "googling in isolation" will ever be. I'm glad it's less difficult now.

Odd how being an "out" lesbian-identified-lesbian has become subversive again. I loved Off (and On) Our Backs.

Martina
11-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Yeah, and Sinister Wisdom. Remember that? Taught me a lot.

Parker
11-02-2012, 10:58 AM
It felt like I'd joined a secret adventure club! Decoding the bar names, learning which softball leagues to play in, rugby tournaments, the earring placement and language games and nicknames....It seemed more exciting than "googling in isolation" will ever be. I'm glad it's less difficult now.

Yeah - having those conversations when you thought you just might be talking to family but you werent sure so you would say things that only family would understand or catch and then watch their reactions .... lol, good times.

I remember my first gf was in the Navy too and we met while a bunch of us were washing a helicopter - we were both trying to be all nonchalant by saying certain things, mentioning certain bars, etc, both trying to figure out if we were right and the other one was gay while also trying not to tip off anyone who might be listening.

lol, I forgot all about that. :sunglass:

starryeyes
11-02-2012, 02:46 PM
<----- Dyke and proud. Yeah, I am not the typical "Dyke" in the mainstream perspective, but it makes it that much more empowering. I am dyke, hear me roar! :-D

Martina
11-02-2012, 03:34 PM
I loved those conversations.

I had one with a trans guy not too long ago. A gay male trans guy, even. lol. He had had a long history as a lesbian, and we talked about the awful women's music we had been subjected to over the years. It was fun.

I miss lesbian culture, but I sure don't miss the music.

macele
11-02-2012, 04:03 PM
the first time i said to someone else, out loud, hearing my voice say, "i am a lesbian." a burden of sorts had been lifted. felt good. the first time saying, "my girlfriend." the first time i held her hand in public, ... walked, kissed her kiss. whether it happens at 15 or 55, makes you feel like shouting from the rooftops, ... even though you might not need that. these are things that stir emotions, ... thinking back/about. makes me cry even now. big time moments in a lesbians life. least for me they were.

OS Butch
11-02-2012, 05:31 PM
Oh the memories of what I did so many years ago. Did any of you master the art of speaking without using male or female pronouns? That way it was for the other person to assume the other part of "we" was a guy, boyfriend or husband.

Years after I came out, my company made us all take a diversity training class. One of the exercises was to talk without using male /female pronouns.
When It was my turn I told the group that I had done this very thing for way too many years so I would rather not endure it again. You could see the light bulbs turn on! LOL!

Parker
11-02-2012, 05:39 PM
My first year or so in the Navy, I straight up lied and said "he" - but I tripped over it every single time, so I dont know how I was fooling anyone. lol

I was so paranoid about being found out and dishonorably discharged, that when the lesbian bar I worked at (Partners in SD - I think it lasted all of a year - I was a barback) was up for a few awards at some city-wide gay awards thing (stuff like best bartender, best restaurant, etc) that the mayor was supposed to show up at to do a presentation, I literally hid in the back of the room because I was worried that I would end up on some news clip or part of a sound bite and then everyone would know.

While I was hiding, I saw some gay women and men not just there, but in uniform and right out in the open. It was that night that I felt so pissed off about hiding that I said fuck it, if they find out and kick me out, sobeit and I stopped using gender neutral or male pronouns to hide the fact that my significant other was a woman.

A dude tried to get me kicked out a few years later for supposedly violating DADT, but that's a whole other story. lol

*Anya*
11-02-2012, 07:15 PM
I did this for so many years and I did not even risk getting thrown out of the service.

I really hated myself every time that I did it.

As a femme, everyone already assumed that I was straight and I had a ton of excuses as to why I let them believe that.

Underneath it all was probably just as simple as fear of rejection by telling the truth.

I recently posted in the Listening to each other thread that I had another opportunity for a moment of truth and this time, I just told it like it really was/is.

The VP that hired me at my new job asked me during a lunch with the two of us, about dating men. I hesitated just a beat and said, fuck it (to myself): "I don't date men, I date women".

I can't even begin to write how freeing that felt and how glad I am that I did that.

I will never use unambiguous words to describe my sexual orientation or who I date or who I love; ever again.

macele
11-02-2012, 08:43 PM
anya, good for you. makes me proud that you are proud lol.

lusciouskiwi
12-02-2012, 09:05 PM
One of my uncles (whom I do not like) called me a "fucking dyke" to which I said "thanks, it's the nicest thing you've said to me all day"

I'll think of some more positive stories and share later :)

CherylNYC
12-02-2012, 10:17 PM
One of my uncles (whom I do not like) called me a "fucking dyke" to which I said "thanks, it's the nicest thing you've said to me all day"

I'll think of some more positive stories and share later :)

Good one. My closest friend, (who has never been my gf), and I were walking somewhere in NYC when a horrible dooood found himself somehow inconvenienced by our presence. He called us "fucking dykes", too. Since we're both femmes, I suspect he meant it to be an insult, but hadn't thought the implications of what he was really saying all the way through.

We immediately put our arms around each other and my friend said, "You noticed!" with exaggerated appreciation. Then I said, "He's not as stupid as he looks. I guess that extra chromosome hasn't hurt his eyesight."

We would have continued the verbal beat-down, but the dude actually smiled, albeit a little ruefully. New Yorkers like a snappy comeback.

Scottish MacDaddy
12-03-2012, 08:24 AM
I, myself, have embraced the label of dyke as if it were my very own. I feel like I've earned it.

I've had it hurled at me as an invective from straights and I've had it shouted out at me in unity of who we are.

I've heard it come in low whispers, with a question mark on the end, when I've entered a room of mixed company.

I've heard that particular word used so many times to describe me that yes, I have made it mine. From Baby dyke to Big Daddy dyke. It is mine to wear and display as I feel, when I feel and where I feel.

I am proud of the DYKE I am!!!

Phyl
03-01-2013, 10:49 AM
I have been call everything. but one thing I know for sure I am Uniquely Artistic. as Im sure all of you are too.
We are helping the world change one name at a time!

~baby~doll~
04-26-2013, 04:30 AM
Die hard dyke. Love it. I love being just that a dyke. Butch works too. Whatever Queer or Sir just don't call me a lady. I have no idea who would do that.

*Anya*
07-07-2013, 07:47 AM
*bumping this thread*

:stillheart:

Soon
07-22-2013, 07:05 PM
SHANNON + SEEMA | INDIAN LESBIAN WEDDING | LOS ANGELES, CA. (http://www.stephgrantphotography.com/blog/shannon-seema-indian-lesbian-wedding-los-angeles-ca/)

I have been anticipating this wedding for years now! Shannon and Seema are special to me and I am honored that they chose me to be their wedding photographer. I flew into Los Angeles a few hours before the wedding festivities began. I was greeted by a house full of friends, family and a lot of laughter. It was going to be an exciting day. Beautiful Indian culture, stunning brides & style for miles! Couldn’t ask for more. I have photographed Indian weddings before and I have photographed gay and lesbian weddings before, but never have I ever shot an Indian lesbian wedding. WOW. My heart! There was so much love that consumed the SmogShoppe that evening. Friends and family came pouring in with smiles, hugs and tears… these two are clearly loved and in love. I am writing this blog a month after the wedding and I am proud to say that so much progress has been made in our country with the Supreme Court striking down DOMA (Defense of Marriage Act) and Prop 8 in California! Love wins. ALWAYS. Congrats Shannon & Seema. Love you guys!

http://18d3cd1c7688f716aeab-cb8207b6de423a11fe833cb87bfdedc2.r6.cf2.rackcdn.co m/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/711.jpg

Licious
07-31-2013, 11:37 PM
Enjoying the thread, subscribing.

LeftWriteFemme
08-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Big Boo Wasn't Originally Supposed To Be A Part Of 'Orange Is The New Black' (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/16/big-boo-orange-is-the-new-black_n_3768682.html?ir=Gay%20Voices

dykeumentary
05-20-2015, 02:15 AM
In case you're wondering if any dykes are having fun making silly videos, yes indeed I certainly am. I resist being "market" and prefer to be considered a threat to the status quo.
Here are some links to projects I'm currently working on (all still rough drafts).

Trailer for a video about moving to Provincetown in 1987 as a baby butch.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmMXUynKLoQ&feature=youtu.be

A Retelling of the genesis story, but with a butch and femme as first humans.
http://youtu.be/EX4rafGWn74

Please support non-mainstream artists!

dykeumentary
05-20-2015, 07:52 PM
Also- please attend a LGBTQ+ film festival or two this summer.
Hollywood doesn't have good roles for women and queers generally becuase they say there "isn't a market." Let's show them there is!

dykeumentary
06-07-2015, 08:01 PM
I'm cheering for "Fun Home" tonight to win some Tony awards!

dykeumentary
06-07-2015, 09:08 PM
Fun Hooooooooooome!
Fun Home wins!
Glorious for femmes (Lisa Kron) and butches (Alison Bechdel) everywhere!
Woohoo!!!

BullDog
06-08-2015, 01:36 PM
Congrats to everyone involved with Fun Home!

And look at how studly our very own Alison Bechdel (creator of Dykes To Watch Out For and the graphic novel Fun Home that the play was based on) looks there in the front middle of the pic!

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc284/bulldog62/Bechdel.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2015/06/08/tony-awards-alison-bechdel-revels-in-fun-homes-hard-won-rise-to-stage-greatness/

BullDog
11-23-2016, 03:15 PM
Just when we need her the most, Alison Bechdel returns with post-Trumpian cartoon strips:

http://dykestowatchoutfor.com/blog

http://dykestowatchoutfor.com/same-as-it-ever-was-only-much-worse

http://dykestowatchoutfor.com/happy-thanksgiving

*Anya*
11-23-2016, 04:49 PM
Just when we need her the most, Alison Bechdel returns with post-Trumpian cartoon strips:

Oh this is so good!

Thank you for posting them.

I particularly liked the Thanksgiving scene where the little girl was complaining about the cranberry sauce and the dad said, "...sorry, I made it a couple of days ago when I was sobbing uncontrollably".

Boy I can relate to this.

I just can't get this pit out of my stomach. I still truly can't believe he is going to be president.

:watereyes:

easygoingfemme
11-23-2016, 04:53 PM

Thank you for bringing this to the table.

I've been talking with a group of women who I was very politically active with in the 90s, Lesbian Avengers and such and we've been like... wow... we need to dig out the old tool kits. The re-surfacing of that energy- timelined with DTWOF and Hothead Paisan. Digging into the fuel. I think a lot of things are going to be resurfacing. https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CdD2Lt0XEAA0y5T.jpg

BullDog
11-23-2016, 09:54 PM
Anya and easygoingfemme, thank you so much for posting!

Anya I can totally relate to the salty tears and easygoingfemme we definitely need some lesbian avengers and other activists out there! I have just had my head in the sand but hope to come out of it.

I am pretty sure Alison has moved onto other things. It would be awesome to have more, but it was great for her to give us a Thanksgiving treat!

cathexis
11-23-2016, 11:48 PM
Howdy y'all!

Am an old leatherdyke. Marched with the Leather Contigent at the 1987 March on Washington for gay rights.

I use the term "dyke" as a reclaimed reference to being a lesbian like POC reclaim derogatory terms within their individual groups.

Thanks for posting the links, but couldn't get on them. Something about exceeded bandwith. Will try again later.

Need a good laugh.

BullDog
11-24-2016, 01:23 PM
Hey cathexis, as I am writing this the site is back up! I hope it is when you try it. Just goes to show there are a lot of damn dykes to watch out for! We go around crashing websites, lol.

cathexis
11-25-2016, 02:01 AM
Thanks, we dykes must be watched lest we corrupt and/or destroy the whole world. lol

Great site. Hope she will draw even more.

We all need a bit of cheer after that election, Anya. He has caused much fear and dread without even taking office yet.

Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving. I had a good one except that the Colts lost horribly! Partner is a Steelers fan so a little good hearted tension at first. Not a peep about politics at family meal, had a great time chatting about else for distraction.