PDA

View Full Version : The Aging of Lesbian Nation

Kobi
05-30-2010, 07:56 AM
Lesbian nation always felt so empowering to me so I am going to use it to start a thread about people thoughts for things we might need as a group in the coming future.

Some of the things we needed early in our journey arent necessary anymore, some have become more diversified just for economical survival, some have become almost extinct as the mainstream economic world realized our buying power and expanded their product lines.

But, some of us are baby boomers reaching a new dimension in our journeys. We have, once again, the challenge of charting new waters as we age in an era of greater freedom, visibility, opportunities, potentialities,
needs, and hopefully some financial security.

The Alapine link I posted is an example of some creative planning done by some women, with certain preferences, across the later spectrum of life stages.

So, it had me thinking.... what might we all need, want, like to see, fantasize about as we reach or even just contemplate our maturity.

I have heard of some folks planning for alternative lifestyle retirement communities with independent living apartments, assisted living, and nursing home care. Of course these were complete with the recreational facilities as well. Mighty costly endeavors to build, maintain, and live in. Concept is nice tho.

When I was working, we had a program for adult foster care that was wonderful. As an expansion, during the early parts of the AIDS epidemic, someone thought to offer the program to gay couples - as care providers had to be non-relatives this worked well. In addition to income, the couple received nursing and social work intervention as well. It worked wonderfully!

Here on the Cape, we still have those old, rambling Captains houses which I would love to own and develop into an adult lesbian co-op. Reminds me, I need to go get lottery tickets.

Does anyone else have thoughts on what they might like to do or see or be a part of?

Heart
05-30-2010, 08:47 AM
Here's a cool link:

http://www.soundsandfuries.com/BOLD.html

Stoney
05-30-2010, 08:56 AM
Oh oh!!! I like this ... I like it alot......

But to busy right now to write , but Ill definatly be back on this thread very soon!!!!
Kobi...

I am really enjoying getting to know you too!

all you lezzies are givin me that warm fuzzy feeling.....

its my favorite!

much peace,

Stoney

Kobi
05-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Thanks Heart....this is something I like with names I actually recognize...Teresa Trull, Barbara Higbie, Col. Cammermeyer! Wonder if I can get a passport on time.

Sorry I was having a Back To The Future Lesbian moment.

Here's a cool link:

Lynn
05-30-2010, 09:36 AM
I love it--looks like it would be a blast!

Kobi--thinking about your questions. The future is really unclear to me. I feel fortunate to be located in the Northeast US. Being out is a relatively comfortable experience, and that is one thing that I would seek out no matter what life stage. Life is difficult enough, I really don't want to have to fight a daily battle of trying to be accepted for who I am. Don't get me wrong--there are challenges, but it has been much worse.

I love the idea of a communal living situation with other like-minded lesbians. Financially, I think it would be beneficial, too. My partner isn't as keen on sharing our lives and space with others. I don't see the likelihood of being able to stop working, or even slowing down, if I don't come up with a creative solution. I make enough to live decently, but I don't have much put away for the future.

In the meantime, I haven't found a community niche that fits for me. It's not about butch-femme, because our local community seems to be quite diverse and accepting. Maybe I'm too busy with work and my kids, and the stuff that presently holds my interest.

Sachita
01-30-2011, 11:05 AM
This is a great thread.

I have always dreamed of living with others in a special space. In fact this was clearly my vision when I bought the farm and 30 acres. My views change and I often think about how I'd like it to be. I own 25 acres free and clear and would love to see a collection of open-minded lesbians. The times I looked into communities, prior to buying my land, I didnt find fit. Some are very rigid and lots of rules. I can't live like that. At the same time I think its important to have like mind and common goals. I would like to grow my own food. Not just part, as i do now but everything I consume.

I'm enjoy my approach to the golden years. For the first time I love myself, my body, mind and I'm even thinking about letting my hair just go gray. Its not that i don't care any more... not at all, I do, I'm just comfortable and feel connected. I'd love to be around others that felt like this. Sometimes living rural, as pretty as it is, can be very isolating.

DapperButch
01-30-2011, 12:00 PM
This is a great thread.

I have always dreamed of living with others in a special space. In fact this was clearly my vision when I bought the farm and 30 acres. My views change and I often think about how I'd like it to be. I own 25 acres free and clear and would love to see a collection of open-minded lesbians. The times I looked into communities, prior to buying my land, I didnt find fit. Some are very rigid and lots of rules. I can't live like that. At the same time I think its important to have like mind and common goals. I would like to grow my own food. Not just part, as i do now but everything I consume.

I'm enjoy my approach to the golden years. For the first time I love myself, my body, mind and I'm even thinking about letting my hair just go gray. Its not that i don't care any more... not at all, I do, I'm just comfortable and feel connected. I'd love to be around others that felt like this. Sometimes living rural, as pretty as it is, can be very isolating.

But, since you are the creator of the space, why couldn't it be set up to your way of thinking? Are you saying you don't think that you could find others with the same vision?

Sachita
01-30-2011, 01:07 PM
But, since you are the creator of the space, why couldn't it be set up to your way of thinking? Are you saying you don't think that you could find others with the same vision?

The truth is I vacillated for a few years. I was just out of a relationship, healing and rediscovering myself. I will most likely lease the land to women that want to build or live out here. Or when I can afford it sub-divide and lease to own or sell. I think it would be nice to have a small collective of women yet spread out enough to have our own space. I've lived rural and by myself a while now and really enjoy my space. I had a few different people live out here in RV's and they drove me crazy nuts. Sometimes I just prefer really quiet space and I don't want to always feel like I'm entertaining. I would need to find other women like this.

The land is there and its for lease or sale to spiritually conscious lesbians. There's a creek, a big ass greenhouse I'm happy to share and I have many skills growing and sustainable living.

Sachita
01-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Here's a cool link:

This looks like a lot of fun. Are you going?

Sachita
01-30-2011, 01:27 PM
I love it--looks like it would be a blast!

Kobi--thinking about your questions. The future is really unclear to me. I feel fortunate to be located in the Northeast US. Being out is a relatively comfortable experience, and that is one thing that I would seek out no matter what life stage. Life is difficult enough, I really don't want to have to fight a daily battle of trying to be accepted for who I am. Don't get me wrong--there are challenges, but it has been much worse.

I love the idea of a communal living situation with other like-minded lesbians. Financially, I think it would be beneficial, too. My partner isn't as keen on sharing our lives and space with others. I don't see the likelihood of being able to stop working, or even slowing down, if I don't come up with a creative solution. I make enough to live decently, but I don't have much put away for the future.

In the meantime, I haven't found a community niche that fits for me. It's not about butch-femme, because our local community seems to be quite diverse and accepting. Maybe I'm too busy with work and my kids, and the stuff that presently holds my interest.

I was with someone that did not support my desire to share space and build a community. To each their own. I think it makes a lot of sense to share resources especially as we get older.

DapperButch
01-30-2011, 01:48 PM
The truth is I vacillated for a few years. I was just out of a relationship, healing and rediscovering myself. I will most likely lease the land to women that want to build or live out here. Or when I can afford it sub-divide and lease to own or sell. I think it would be nice to have a small collective of women yet spread out enough to have our own space. I've lived rural and by myself a while now and really enjoy my space. I had a few different people live out here in RV's and they drove me crazy nuts. Sometimes I just prefer really quiet space and I don't want to always feel like I'm entertaining. I would need to find other women like this.

The land is there and its for lease or sale to spiritually conscious lesbians. There's a creek, a big ass greenhouse I'm happy to share and I have many skills growing and sustainable living.

I think the idea of any of those things is really neat. I hope it works out.

Kobi
01-30-2011, 02:35 PM
I wonder, sometimes, if my wish for a lesbian space to
live is more of a fantasy than a reality.

I like the idea of separate space with the potential for community.
Yet, I also know when you begin adding people and their ways of
being to the mix, it changes the dynamics from an individual
concept to a meshing of the minds concept.

This is not necessarily a bad thing but it is something that
changes the complexion of what was intended.

Finding the right mix of like minded, similarly behaving people can be a daunting task I think.

Sachita
01-30-2011, 03:03 PM
exactly Kobi. But I do think it will happen for me. I hope so.

dykeumentary
01-30-2011, 06:54 PM
My girlfriend and I are setting up our farm and off-the-grid cabin now. We grow food, keep bees and chickens, and plan not only for our aging, but for our parents' elder care. It's a lot. I'm glad you are making it happen.