PDA

View Full Version : The Real L Word

Rufusboi
06-03-2010, 02:22 PM
Has anyone heard about this new reality show Showtime is doing called "The Real L Word"?

http://www.sho.com/site/reallword/home.do

From the ads I have seen on Showtime (lots of sexual situations) it is my opinion the show is geared toward heterosexual males.

Just curious what everyone else thought?

Rufus

Linus
06-03-2010, 02:45 PM
I would classify this amongst other reality shows that I'm admittedly cynical about. They do not show all aspects of life but rather just the most controversial and "sexiest" Hollywood-like lives. Shows like Real Housewives of... ; etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the largest audience ends up being men because of who they picked to be their real lesbians (not saying they aren't but life isn't all about the Hollywood version of beauty, IMO).

Ebon
06-08-2010, 11:50 AM
Yeah this is ridiculous. Once again they are lacking some representation in the lesbian community. But what can we expect it's television.

Random
06-08-2010, 11:59 AM
Nods..

I keep thinking... I don't know any gay women like that...

Another show that doesn't represent any part of my life..

I would much rather watch US of Tara and Nurse Jackie..

Crazy, I can relate too...

betenoire
06-08-2010, 12:02 PM
OH GOODIE! Because exactly what our community needs is for some of us to behave like raging asshats on television so that people who don't know any better will think we're ALL like that! *clappy*

I would much rather watch US of Tara and Nurse Jackie..

Fuck yeah! Did you watch the season finales last night?

Random
06-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Fuck yeah! Did you watch the season finales last night?

Oh yell yes... Was it just me or did they last like 12 mins?

I was like.. what... no... wait... come back...

Damn It!!!

I did love jackie at the end... you think.. hmmm maybe they are going to change her.. and then.. nope.. fuck you....

betenoire
06-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Oh yell yes... Was it just me or did they last like 12 mins?

I was like.. what... no... wait... come back...

Damn It!!!

I did love jackie at the end... you think.. hmmm maybe they are going to change her.. and then.. nope.. fuck you....

My favourite is how she just said BLOW ME.

Oh, and Neil is baaa-aaack! I love that guy! (now talking about USofT, of course)

Random
06-08-2010, 04:30 PM
My favourite is how she just said BLOW ME.

Oh, and Neil is baaa-aaack! I love that guy! (now talking about USofT, of course)

I knew who you were talking about..

I heart neil as well.. much better fit than mr. perfect..

(and you know that mr. perfect would have always held it over her head that he took on another mans child... Gag!!!)

SFFemmePrincess
06-13-2010, 02:22 AM
So yeah, I just saw the teasers and "meet the cast" promos on On Demand for this show. I'm kinda sick to my stomach. I mean, I'll admit it, I watched and enjoyed The L Word, up until the last season, and I'll probably watch this show out of morbid curiosity, but it still makes me want to throw up a little in my mouth. For me the worst part about it is the cast. They put together a group of lesbians who are not representative of the community at large. And while I expected that, in their interviews it almost seems as though they are denouncing the community at large. It's like they are saying being gay is no big deal and we are just like everyone else. In fact, I think one of them said exactly that. It bugs me because we are not like everyone else. We are a unique, diverse, and beautiful community, and it makes me angry that these people are trying to represent us. I would have been fine if even one of them said, you know we are not the voice of the entire queer community, and we aren't going to try to be, we are just going to be ourselves and party in front of the cameras because we are getting paid to. They all kept saying "its a real as it can get" but it isn't. And it bugs the shit out of me!!! And again there are no butches or trans folk anywhere to be found, and that makes me angrier! GRR...

Thats my rant of the day...

MsDemeanor
06-13-2010, 02:49 AM
Has anyone heard about this new reality show Showtime is doing called "The Real L Word"?

http://www.sho.com/site/reallword/home.do

From the ads I have seen on Showtime (lots of sexual situations) it is my opinion the show is geared toward heterosexual males.

Just curious what everyone else thought?

Rufus
I didn't even need to see the ads to know that it would be geared toward heterosexual males.

Reality shows suck, but they are cheap to make and people watch them. I really have no need to watch people yell at each other and fuck each other over, and that seems to be what reality shows are all about - at least that's what they feature as their big attraction on their commercials. And TV shows don't show "real" people, they show "beautiful" people and they show stereotypes of people and they show whatever will attract their target audience or their advertisers' target audience. Why would this show be different?

Miss Scarlett
06-13-2010, 08:07 AM
I saw this on my On Demand/Showtime menu and rolled my eyes - I hated, absolutely hated the original L Word (Shelia loves it and I indulge her as she indulges me when it comes to LOST). I don't much care for reality TV but now I'll have to check this out...

Manul
06-25-2010, 10:03 PM
I just watched an episode. That's an hour of my life wasted I can't get back.