PDA

View Full Version : What are you reading?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

daisygrrl
12-04-2009, 11:14 AM
Us bibliophiles want to know: what are you reading, plan to read, or didn't enjoy reading?

Here's a place to gab about literature (all kinds), share reading lists, and reviews.
:glasses:

Looking forward to your posts!

Apocalipstic
12-04-2009, 11:22 AM
I just finished Profiles in Folly, History's Worst Decisions and Why They Went Wrong by Alan Axelrod

I love history, so I enjoyed it. A light look at a bunch of big messes.

I am off to the library this weekend to find something new.

violaine
12-04-2009, 11:26 AM
how did i get here - chapter 1

".. i'm sure i was sociable. days were nearly always spent kicking balls, exploring the woods, digging in soil, and sometimes eating it, roaming the hills and in each other's houses..." - keith

i am reading asperger syndrome- a love story, written by sarah hendricks and keith newton. the couple explain who they are as individuals, chronicle their meeting and first ill-fated relationship, followed by a painful but vital period of separation and learning to the final destination of a new, different, more satisfactory relationship together. personal accounts - embracing [humourously a lot of the time] neurodiversity!

:dog:

i'm also still reading jayber crow, a novel by wendell berry. [his work with farm alliance is amazing, by the way]. this book is poetic, philosophical, and the community members/town is imagined- richly so!

:writer:

i hope you are doing well, daisy - whatcha readin' ? :eyebat:

belle
ox

foxyshaman
12-04-2009, 11:34 AM
Currently I am reading:

Alchemical Psychology, Old recipes for living in a new world by Thom Cavalli;

The Fisher king and the Handless Maiden; understanding The wounded feeling Function in the Masculine and Feminine in Psychology; by Robert Johnson

And I am currently researching Nyx, The Goddess Night. I am preparing to tell a story to my drumming circle. We are honoring the darkness and I thought what a great way to share what the darkness has 'birthed' for us through mythology. She is an amalgamation of other creation myths so old that the only places she is still present is in the oldest of the old written myths.

:thumbsup: Flying my geek colors....

Selenay
12-04-2009, 11:41 AM
Aloud
Voices From the Nuyorican Poets Cafe

Excerpt:

IN RESPONSE TO A BROTHER’S QUESTION ABOUT WHAT HE SHOULD DO WHEN HIS BEST FRIEND BEATS UP A WOMAN

. . . and push out the violence be unafraid to be a man who confronts men
about women be unafraid to be a man
who confronts men
big mean ass nasty men
be unafraid to be a man
who confronts
himself.

-Asha Bandele

daisygrrl
12-04-2009, 11:49 AM
I just finished Profiles in Folly, History's Worst Decisions and Why They Went Wrong by Alan Axelrod

I love history, so I enjoyed it. A light look at a bunch of big messes.

I am off to the library this weekend to find something new.

That sounds like a really cool history-related book that I could 'get into'!

I love libraries--just wandering down the aisles is fun for me :reader:

how did i get here - chapter 1

".. i'm sure i was sociable. days were nearly always spent kicking balls, exploring the woods, digging in soil, and sometimes eating it, roaming the hills and in each other's houses..." - keith

i am reading asperger syndrome- a love story, written by sarah hendricks and keith newton. the couple explain who they are as individuals, chronicle their meeting and first ill-fated relationship, followed by a painful but vital period of separation and learning to the final destination of a new, different, more satisfactory relationship together. personal accounts - embracing [humourously a lot of the time] neurodiversity!

:dog:

i'm also still reading jayber crow, a novel by wendell berry. [his work with farm alliance is amazing, by the way]. this book is poetic, philosophical, and the community members/town is imagined- richly so!

:writer:

i hope you are doing well, daisy - whatcha readin' ? :eyebat:

belle
ox

The love story sounds really interesting to me--I'm gonna have to put that on my reading list!

Hugs to you, Ms. Belle! I'm reading...well...pieces of my dissertation for editing at the moment--but I can't wait until I have leisure time to read for fun!

Currently I am reading:

Alchemical Psychology, Old recipes for living in a new world by Thom Cavalli;

The Fisher king and the Handless Maiden; understanding The wounded feeling Function in the Masculine and Feminine in Psychology; by Robert Johnson

And I am currently researching Nyx, The Goddess Night. I am preparing to tell a story to my drumming circle. We are honoring the darkness and I thought what a great way to share what the darkness has 'birthed' for us through mythology. She is an amalgamation of other creation myths so old that the only places she is still present is in the oldest of the old written myths.

:thumbsup: Flying my geek colors....

I love love love mythology--your drumming circle is sure to be inspiring!

Geek colors--cool beans! We should have T-shirts--and our own flag!

Thanks everyone, for sharing your love for books (f)

daisygrrl
12-04-2009, 11:50 AM
Aloud
Voices From the Nuyorican Poets Cafe

Excerpt:

IN RESPONSE TO A BROTHER’S QUESTION ABOUT WHAT HE SHOULD DO WHEN HIS BEST FRIEND BEATS UP A WOMAN

. . . and push out the violence be unafraid to be a man who confronts men
about women be unafraid to be a man
who confronts men
big mean ass nasty men
be unafraid to be a man
who confronts
himself.

-Asha Bandele

That sounds like a really powerful collection, Selly!

Linus
12-04-2009, 11:51 AM
Let's see.. I have a few books on the go:

Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (planning on learning this so I can make some gifts next year rather than buy -- including, perhaps, a his and hers Fisherman's Sweaters)

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (a lot of it seems interestingly and odd Buddhist)

Blown for Good: Behind the Iron Curtain of Scientology (interesting book by one of the former Sea Org members about what Scientology was really like and how he escaped it after a lifetime in it --- over 15 years IIRC).

Windows 7: The Definitive Guide (gotta get brushed up on that because it's related to a course I teach)

daisygrrl
12-04-2009, 11:57 AM

Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (planning on learning this so I can make some gifts next year rather than buy -- including, perhaps, a his and hers Fisherman's Sweaters)

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (a lot of it seems interestingly and odd Buddhist)

Blown for Good: Behind the Iron Curtain of Scientology (interesting book by one of the former Sea Org members about what Scientology was really like and how he escaped it after a lifetime in it --- over 15 years IIRC).

Windows 7: The Definitive Guide (gotta get brushed up on that because it's related to a course I teach)

I gotta say that I love the title for that first book!

The book from the former Scientology member sounds intriguing. I've heard Kate Bornstein (:heartbeat:) talk about her experiences in the group--but those are really the only first-hand accounts that I've encountered.

kassykit
12-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Lets see for school i'm reading

Builidng Java Programs a back to basics approach by Stuart Reges and Marty Stepp

Visual C# 2008 hot to program by Deitel and Deitel

Oracle 10g SQL - Joan Casteel

Also my stats book which i cant recall the name of right at the momment, it's a online book through Aplia.

For fun it varies by day, but almost anything mercedes Lackey, or elizabeth moon will get me going :)

Dean Thoreau
12-04-2009, 03:12 PM
for light reading this week I read...............
Sari Shop Window..by Bantwal great read, good novel....
The Eliminationists by David Neiwert....(quasi political)
The Dangerous World of Butterlies ***** i recommend
The End of Overeating by David Kessler..excellent
Super Freakonomics....fun
Cheap by Ellen rupel Shell.... not bad but she is really out of touch with the world.

not sure what i will read tonigh

dean :flyaway:

Apocalipstic
12-04-2009, 03:35 PM
for light reading this week I read...............
Sari Shop Window..by Bantwal great read, good novel....
The Eliminationists by David Neiwert....(quasi political)
The Dangerous World of Butterlies ***** i recommend
The End of Overeating by David Kessler..excellent
Super Freakonomics....fun
Cheap by Ellen rupel Shell.... not bad but she is really out of touch with the world.

not sure what i will read tonigh

dean :flyaway:

I really enjoy the Freakonomics books, fun indeed!

Rufusboi
12-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Original Sin by PD James.

Inuus
12-04-2009, 05:57 PM
Soul Of A Dog by Jon Katz
Most recent book in a series about his life in upstate NY on his farm. Ive read a few in the series and really like them. Quick read, great stories and antics about his animals. Light reading would recommend it

daisygrrl
12-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Soul Of A Dog by Jon Katz
Most recent book in a series about his life in upstate NY on his farm. Ive read a few in the series and really like them. Quick read, great stories and antics about his animals. Light reading would recommend it

That sounds like a great book! You may also enjoy When Elephants Weep: The Emotional Lives of Animals by Jeffrey Moussaieff Masson and Susan McCarthy :elefant:

Kassy, Dean, & Rufus--those are great lists! I looked at reviews on them and put several on my reading list! :reader:

Dean Thoreau
12-04-2009, 06:22 PM
I really enjoy the Freakonomics books, fun indeed!

it is also one of the few economic books my kids will read and enjoy as well...
i have a tendency to quote form them frequently when talking with my elementary students they make economic principles and concepts easy to understand....
tho my favorite book to quote from at school is "Lies my teacher taught me"

hottprof
12-04-2009, 07:19 PM
The Dark Tower Series : Drawing of Three (ie book 2). Stephen King

On the Edge: The United States in the Twentieth Century - Horowitz and Carroll (for the class I am teaching this spring)

The Lyrics to "We didn't Start the Fire" BIlly Joel (also a teaching tool)

Smiles :frog:

daisygrrl
12-04-2009, 07:35 PM
On the Edge: The United States in the Twentieth Century - Horowitz and Carroll (for the class I am teaching this spring)

The Lyrics to "We didn't Start the Fire" BIlly Joel (also a teaching tool)

Smiles :frog:

Dear prof--I wish that I was in that class (how cool!) :hangloose:

MsDemeanor
12-04-2009, 07:47 PM
Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell

Plum Spooky by Janet Evanovich

The Family by Jeff Sharlet

And a bunch of silversmithing and jewelry making books and magazines

Inuus
12-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Animal Magnetism by Rita Mae Brown

I just started it today and its really good for those that love animals. Its basically about all the animals she has had or been involved with over her lifetime with cute stories about each. She is involved in fox hunting as a sport(they dont kill the fox) so alot of stories about horses and dogs...light reading would recommend it

TheSqueeze
12-07-2009, 08:17 PM
The Girl Who Played with Fire by Steig Larson

daisygrrl
12-08-2009, 07:40 AM

I'd never heard of this series--it looks really cool (I added it to my amazon wish list :cheer:). Thank you for sharing!

turasultana
12-08-2009, 08:12 AM
In the last 5 weeks or so I blew through the 9 books of the Sookie Stackhouse series (southern vampire). yes, that's how much I miss True Blood. dammit. No 10th book till May 2010, no 3rd season until June 2010.

Someone is trying to make me read twilight, but i just can't do it. Vampires don't sparkle! ugh. (and I'm not 14 :>).

daisygrrl
12-08-2009, 03:08 PM
In the last 5 weeks or so I blew through the 9 books of the Sookie Stackhouse series (southern vampire). yes, that's how much I miss True Blood. dammit. No 10th book till May 2010, no 3rd season until June 2010.

Someone is trying to make me read twilight, but i just can't do it. Vampires don't sparkle! ugh. (and I'm not 14 :>).

OOooh, I haven't heard of these Stackhouse books, either... And, I must admit that I really like Vamps (and southern vamps= :drool:).

I did enjoy reading Twilight (and have seen the film a few times :cool:); however, I can't seem to 'get-into' the 2nd book... The vampires sparkling...yeah, that is kinda funny--maybe it's a subconscious marketing ploy for glitter :giggle:

christie
12-08-2009, 04:04 PM
The Scarpetta Factor - Patricia Cornwell

My Life in France - Julia Child

Little Big Life - Dean Koontz

I just finished Santa Olivia by Jacqueline Carey and am heading to BAM to see if they have the rest of the Kushiel series I haven't yet read.:awww:

Apocalipstic
12-08-2009, 04:13 PM

I love love love the Stackhouse books and also blew through them all recently :)

I did read Twilight, but was bored....I like my Vampires wayyy trashier!

turasultana
12-08-2009, 06:36 PM
I love love love the Stackhouse books and also blew through them all recently :)

I did read Twilight, but was bored....I like my Vampires wayyy trashier!

Exactly smart ass sassy vampires. Pam and Eric are awesome. AND actual sex for gods sake!

Darth Denkay
12-12-2009, 01:05 PM
The Scarpetta Factor - Patricia Cornwell

Hey Christie, let me know what you think. I've read all of her stuff, the last books seem to have been going steadily downward until Scarpetta - I really enjoyed that one. Haven't read Scarpetta Factor - would love your opinion.

I did enjoy reading Twilight (and have seen the film a few times :cool:); however, I can't seem to 'get-into' the 2nd book... The vampires sparkling...yeah, that is kinda funny--maybe it's a subconscious marketing ploy for glitter :giggle:

I've read the Twilight series and enjoyed it. The second book was my least favorite. The whole purpose of it is essentially to set up a bunch of stuff for the last 2 books. So if you can get through it I think you'll find the last 2 books really good. Same with the movies for me. I liked Twilight but was fairly bored during New Moon. At least I had Alice to drool over...

daisygrrl
12-12-2009, 06:37 PM
I've read the Twilight series and enjoyed it. The second book was my least favorite. The whole purpose of it is essentially to set up a bunch of stuff for the last 2 books. So if you can get through it I think you'll find the last 2 books really good. Same with the movies for me. I liked Twilight but was fairly bored during New Moon. At least I had Alice to drool over...

Thank you, Wicket, for your input!--I'm glad it wasn't just me (thinking that the 2nd book is a bit difficult to get through). That's a bummer about the film; I was hoping it might motivate me to read the book...

Yes, Alice... :awww:

Yours in fabulosity,
daisy

Mitmo01
12-12-2009, 07:21 PM
Dune

and i have a shitton of books that i need to plow through....im so stuck on the Dune series after i read the 3 prequels that were written by Frank Herberts son...im a non fiction reader but now im on a kick where im enjoying some fiction again

next on the nightstand is a book called....

The Eagle and The Raven by Pauline Gedge

its about Boudicca and the Romans

Rufusboi
12-12-2009, 07:34 PM
Just started some new mind candy.....Deaver's The Twelfth Card...A Lincoln Rhymes novel. If you remember the Bone Collector film, its the same author and character. I've never tried his books before.

Rufus

Linus
12-17-2009, 12:21 AM

I'm still working on the other books but recently finished Blown for Good. Very interesting look into Scientology. I'm not sure how accurate it is but I have this unnerving feeling that it's fairly accurate. And if so, the main organization is a more of a concentration camp -- the image really isn't that far-fetched. For an organization (it's not really a religion in the more common sense) that is about positive thought, it's filled with so much negativity and demeaning behaviour it's unreal how long it's continued without being closed down by the government.

I'd still call it a cult given the behaviour of closing individuals off from families. I went to the site that the author created and checked out a few links. It was interesting that they called it a "cousin of Buddhism". If it is, I'd consider it a distant cousin a few times removed. No Buddhist school of thought I know of tells you to stop associating with others nor tells you that non-believers are "suppressives".

Anyways, if you find it, I'd recommend it as a quick and intense read.

I've started reading Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe so I can be somewhat up-to-speed for the FreeThinkers' thread.

cara
12-17-2009, 12:27 AM
I have been reading the same book for the past five months: The Mists of Avalon. I'm on chapter 3 or 4. It's a *great* book I just don't seem to find the time to read like I did when I was younger.

~cara

Waldo
12-17-2009, 12:28 AM

I'm reading his Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and quite enjoying it.

Darth Denkay
12-17-2009, 02:21 PM
I totally get this - seems to be the case for me as well. I also think that I read slower than I used to. For so many years I've been in school where I intentionally read things slowly to let it all sink in that now I read slower in general. A bit frustrating but what are you going to do?

I have been reading the same book for the past five months: The Mists of Avalon. I'm on chapter 3 or 4. It's a *great* book I just don't seem to find the time to read like I did when I was younger.

~cara

hippieflowergirl
12-17-2009, 05:39 PM
I've got two books going right now.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies and Beyond Religion

weatherboi
12-18-2009, 12:46 PM
Alice in Quantumland
Started it yesterday...pretty good so far.

JakeTulane
01-01-2010, 11:13 AM
I just finished "The Art of Racing in the Rain" by Garth Stein. Absolutely recommend it. I have now ordered his other novel "How Evan Broke His Head and other Secrets.".... The author also has another novel coming out in March of 2010 which I will surely purchase as well.

I have now vowed to get through the Lord of the Rings books and all of the Harry Potter's. I have seen all the films and loved them. So now I am starting The Hobbit and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

WILDCAT
01-01-2010, 01:31 PM
A trivia sort of question:

My mother reads about ten books a week and has for as long as I can remember. She recently gave me this book to look up "who they meant"... as the author - and I did try "search", but I could not get the answer she was looking for. They did mention that this author is the pseudonym of a bestselling novelist, but not who it was/IS.

(And NO... obviously it's not Patrick Buchanan the politically extreme talking show guy who has written books. Patrick Buchanan is the "fake name" here. That came up on search all over the place, why I mention it! LOL.)

OK, book here - which to me has little significance to my mother personally, except she was curious then... A Murder of Crows. (It's old from the 70's I think - like just came up as part of a book-swap for the girls at the bridge club there in town.)

Inside of jacket, here is the "note on the author":

PATRICK BUCHANAN is the pseudonym of a bestselling novelist and prize-winning movie-maker whose books have been read by hundreds of thousands in America and translated into many languages around the world. His face is as familiar to TV viewers as this real name is to readers. He unwinds by collaborating with a globe-trotting friend on suspense and mystery (here's my mother's JONES in reading!) fiction set in unusual locales. A Murder of Crows will soon be followed by an equally exciting sequel.
___

Now, if ANYONE knows who this is - so that I can call my Mom and let her know it would made her "New Year's Day". Trust me. She forgot that she asked me about this over a month ago - and my father was sick yesterday and I need to call back there again to see how he is doing now. (And he keeps getting better, please do not worry...)

So, let me know, if anyone is up to the challenge, or just knows this period - who IS this well known person using this other name in writing here? (Remember, this book is from ... l970 copyright, and then 1972 Pyramid publishing.)

Thank YOU!!! Appreciate any help...

*Happy New Year all!!!

WILDCAT

Linus
01-01-2010, 02:20 PM
A trivia sort of question:

My mother reads about ten books a week and has for as long as I can remember. She recently gave me this book to look up "who they meant"... as the author - and I did try "search", but I could not get the answer she was looking for. They did mention that this author is the pseudonym of a bestselling novelist, but not who it was/IS.

(And NO... obviously it's not Patrick Buchanan the politically extreme talking show guy who has written books. Patrick Buchanan is the "fake name" here. That came up on search all over the place, why I mention it! LOL.)

OK, book here - which to me has little significance to my mother personally, except she was curious then... A Murder of Crows. (It's old from the 70's I think - like just came up as part of a book-swap for the girls at the bridge club there in town.)

Inside of jacket, here is the "note on the author":

PATRICK BUCHANAN is the pseudonym of a bestselling novelist and prize-winning movie-maker whose books have been read by hundreds of thousands in America and translated into many languages around the world. His face is as familiar to TV viewers as this real name is to readers. He unwinds by collaborating with a globe-trotting friend on suspense and mystery (here's my mother's JONES in reading!) fiction set in unusual locales. A Murder of Crows will soon be followed by an equally exciting sequel.
___

Now, if ANYONE knows who this is - so that I can call my Mom and let her know it would made her "New Year's Day". Trust me. She forgot that she asked me about this over a month ago - and my father was sick yesterday and I need to call back there again to see how he is doing now. (And he keeps getting better, please do not worry...)

So, let me know, if anyone is up to the challenge, or just knows this period - who IS this well known person using this other name in writing here? (Remember, this book is from ... l970 copyright, and then 1972 Pyramid publishing.)

Thank YOU!!! Appreciate any help...

*Happy New Year all!!!

WILDCAT

http://edwincorley.com/

WILDCAT
01-01-2010, 04:12 PM
http://edwincorley.com/

GET OUT!! (Nice push here like Elaine from Seinfeld!!)

So, I do not KNOW this guy, but he died SO far back, ('84 did it say)? OK, calling my Mother right now Linus! Thank you so much!!

Maybe she will remember him in something, from way back. It doesn't look like he was a "main character" in movies though - even then, anything outstanding and/or memorable...(?) But, IF he was in ANY "murder mystery" BEV will most certainly know/remember him!

WILDCAT

:danceparty:

Bob
01-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Mastering the Art of French Cooking, v.1, Julia Child, et al. (So bummed blogging this has already been done.)

Blood's A Rover, James Ellroy. Hardcore staccato conspiracy-noir from the master.

Elder Scrolls: The Infernal City, Greg Keyes. You'll probably only enjoy this if you're familiar with the video games Morrowind and Oblivion.

Queerasfck
01-01-2010, 05:22 PM
The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett

Spade and Archer by Joe Gores

Gemme
01-02-2010, 12:53 AM
Besides reading posts here, I was reading the obits.

Don't ask. :blink:

suebee
01-02-2010, 08:42 AM
I'm still reading the instructions to the MP3 player I got for Christmas 08. Does anybody have a 12 -year-old I can borrow who can show me how to use the damned thing? :playingchess: (my new smilie policy: use one from the window to the right whether it fits or not) :)

amiyesiam
01-02-2010, 11:46 AM
the same two books I was reading last week. I need to finish them.
I did read Return to Isis by Jean Stewart last week. There are 4 more books in the series. I have them and now need to read them.
:sumo:

daisygrrl
01-02-2010, 12:02 PM
I'm still reading the instructions to the MP3 player I got for Christmas 08. Does anybody have a 12 -year-old I can borrow who can show me how to use the damned thing? :playingchess: (my new smilie policy: use one from the window to the right whether it fits or not) :)

I know exactly how you feel about the electronics! When I get a new cell phone, I always bring it to class so my students can show me how to use all the nifty features :koolaid:

p.s. I like your smilie policy ;)

Gemme
01-02-2010, 09:22 PM

In regards to your smiley policy, I've been doing that since they got the rotating smiley thing up and running. I've even adjusted my posts, on occasion, to fit the smilies. lol

This one's new to me....:givingarose:

Dean Thoreau
01-03-2010, 09:23 AM
today i just finished reading One year of living biblically...
i would not recommend it..wasnt even silly enuf to be funny, just trite....anyone wants the book let me know...i will send it ot u...if not its going in the goodwill bin :rabbi:

Rufusboi
01-04-2010, 10:18 AM
Currently reading Greg Iles "True Evil." A real page turner!

Rufus

daisygrrl
01-04-2010, 10:25 AM
Currently skimming Kate Bornstein's Gender Outlaw: On Men, Women, & the Rest of Us for quotes. If you haven't read it, it's worth the time!

Here's an excerpt...

I write when nothing else will bring me peace, when I burn, when I find myself asking and answering the same questions over and over…I write in bottom space. I open up to you, I cut myself, I show you my fantasies, I get a kick out of that—oh, yeah. I perform in top space. I cover myself with my character and take you where you never dreamed you could go. Yes. My ancestors did this. My instrument is not my pen or my typewriter, not my lover’s Macintosh, not my cast of characters, not my body on stage. No, my instrument is my audience and oh how I love to play you.

Damn, she's brilliant--and that red hair when I saw her perform....:awww:

Dean Thoreau
01-04-2010, 03:42 PM
For those that may or may not know aobut it..

Here is a great way to share and save $$ on books to say nothing of saving the lives of trees everywhere!

www.bookmooch.com

feel free to look for me Dean Thoreau

any books that within 24 hours of my offering here.....i will be posting on Book Mooch...the ones no one wants from book mooch...will go to goodwill...

I just cant stand hoarding the books any longer.

Dean

turasultana
01-04-2010, 03:50 PM
Just took Margaret Atwood's "The year of the flood" out of the library.

any book described as "dystopian" makes me swoon. :)

hpychick
01-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Over the holidays, because I was absolutely bored out of my gourd - and yes, I do have a gourd, thank you very much - I went to Barnes & Noble and bought two new books. One - the one I'm really enjoying right now is historical fiction, titled Mary. It's [loosely] based on the [supposed] letters that Mary Todd Lincoln wrote whilst she was in the asylum.

The second book is something by David Sedaris. I thought I might need something comical get me out of any funk Mary might put me in. Well, I have not picked up the David Sedaris book, and honestly, I'm thrilled.

Mary is an easy read and the author does a good job of speaking in the first person and almost making me feel as though I'm walking around in her apron pocket listening and watching her every move.

Dean Thoreau
01-05-2010, 06:57 PM
So umm hpychik u gonna lend me mary when you are done????

:givingarose:

smoooooooooooooooooooch

daisygrrl
01-05-2010, 07:18 PM
Over the holidays, because I was absolutely bored out of my gourd - and yes, I do have a gourd, thank you very much - I went to Barnes & Noble and bought two new books. One - the one I'm really enjoying right now is historical fiction, titled Mary. It's [loosely] based on the [supposed] letters that Mary Todd Lincoln wrote whilst she was in the asylum.

The second book is something by David Sedaris. I thought I might need something comical get me out of any funk Mary might put me in. Well, I have not picked up the David Sedaris book, and honestly, I'm thrilled.

Mary is an easy read and the author does a good job of speaking in the first person and almost making me feel as though I'm walking around in her apron pocket listening and watching her every move.

Mary sounds really cool--I've put it on my reading list!

A bit ago, I finished (well, I'm not quite "finished') reading Asylum: Inside the Closed World of State Mental Hospitals by Christopher Payne. It's an amazing collection of photographs of abandoned, vast mental asylums.

I also just picked up David Sedaris' When You are Engulfed in Flames... I'm a bit behind, but I'm looking forward to in the near future.

Happy Readin', Ya'll!

Dean Thoreau
01-05-2010, 08:06 PM
Engulfed in flames is good daisy...unfortunately with all the publiccity and build up you may be a bit disappointed....It was good but not deserving of so much acclaim.
Just read the book Powerpoint 7...........dry very dry..it will be a great door stop!
I am out of books and need to refill before i start wandering the grocery store reading all the labels..... its a pain when u run out of things to read...anyone who does not know about it..... the guttenberg project.org u can download tons of classics for free onto your computer..kindle, e reader, ipod, mp3, etc etc....for a little fun reading try Elinor Glyn ..very racy writing back when she wrote it in the 1800's Alexander Dumas of course is always a joy an if you are up to a challenge read some joyce....(I suggest medicinal pot prior to injecting joyce into ones brain) :hrmph:

Rufusboi
01-05-2010, 09:35 PM
I just ordered four ELizabeth Gaskell novels (mostly because I just saw the third part of Cranford on Masterpiece classics last night). I've read Gaskell's Bio of Charlotte Bronte but didn't think to read her novels. Now I'm about to start up my old obsession with very long Victorian novels. I'll probably emerge again sometime in 2011. See you then.

Rufus

weatherboi
01-05-2010, 10:50 PM
Fever : how rock 'n' roll transformed gender in America / Tim Riley.
Yayyyyyy I have been waiting for 5 months for our local library to get this book in!!!! I placed it on hold and will pick it up tomorrow.

Diva
01-05-2010, 10:56 PM
I just ordered four ELizabeth Gaskell novels (mostly because I just saw the third part of Cranford on Masterpiece classics last night). I've read Gaskell's Bio of Charlotte Bronte but didn't think to read her novels. Now I'm about to start up my old obsession with very long Victorian novels. I'll probably emerge again sometime in 2011. See you then.

Rufus

Rufus,

May I suggest "Jane Eyre" for a Bronte work? It's amazing.....and the first Victorian work I ever read...and have read it 4 or 5 times. Deep and rich and colorful.

Medusa
01-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Im reading "The Places That Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times"

daisygrrl
01-06-2010, 05:29 AM
Engulfed in flames is good daisy...unfortunately with all the publiccity and build up you may be a bit disappointed....It was good but not deserving of so much acclaim.

My best guy friend told me the same thing, so that's why I had put-off reading it. :huhlaugh:

Rufus

Good for you, Rufus--it's always fun to rediscover your love for literature! I've read Glaskell's North & South--it's definitely worth the read. I also like Mary Elizabeth Braddon's Lady Audley's Secret and Olive Schreiner's Story of an African Farm.

Rufus,

May I suggest "Jane Eyre" for a Bronte work? It's amazing.....and the first Victorian work I ever read...and have read it 4 or 5 times. Deep and rich and colorful.

Ooh, I love Jane Eyre. I must say, too, that I had quite the fantasy of being her--and especially after I saw the BBC version with Timothy Dalton :awww:

Im reading "The Places That Scare You: A Guide to Fearlessness in Difficult Times"

I want to read this, too, now! It's an oldie but a goodie if you're looking for something similar: Feel the Fear . . . and Do It Anyway by Susan Jeffers

Fever : how rock 'n' roll transformed gender in America / Tim Riley.
Yayyyyyy I have been waiting for 5 months for our local library to get this book in!!!! I placed it on hold and will pick it up tomorrow.

This sounds really cool--you'll have to let us know how you liked it!

canmarielan
01-06-2010, 05:49 AM
I'm reading the final book of house of night series.

Sort of immature...silly...fun to read though.

http://www.houseofnightseries.com/

BBMD
01-06-2010, 06:27 AM
The back of the shampoo bottle...

:tanning:

always2late
01-06-2010, 06:46 AM
"South of Broad" by Pat Conroy

Softly
01-06-2010, 07:35 AM

I like sorta immature and silly ;)
How are they?

:tanning: LOL :simplelaugh:

I just finished The Giver for the 235534345th time. I first read this book in 6th grade and I adore it so bad.

I think I am going to try to read The Stand again...but Stephen King kind of bores me sometimes.

:flasher:

Semantics
01-06-2010, 08:18 AM
Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton- I had this one read aloud to me in the few days following New Years. It's a little disturbing but so well written.

I just finished John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany. It was one of those books that I had to read with a pen and paper beside me so that I could copy down quotes and page numbers that I want to revisit.

Last night I started Alter of Eden by James Rollins. I've loved all of his books even though they're the kind of books I usually hate. There's something about the way he writes and his plots and characters that I really like.

daisygrrl
01-06-2010, 04:59 PM

I'm with Softly--I adore cheesy (and YA novels, too)! Oh, and if you're "into" vampire reads, a couple of people have posted their fave series in the first pages of this thread :mountie:

Hey, I do that, too--when there ain't nothin' in the bathroom! :tease:

Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton- I had this one read aloud to me in the few days following New Years. It's a little disturbing but so well written.

I adore Ethan Frome--I read it (first) when I was in high school. It really disturbed (bordering on depressed) me; I can still remember having conversations with my teacher about it.

Oh, and there was a film adaptation (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106833/) (1993)--with Liam Neeson--but I can't remember if I've seen it or not...

Softly
01-06-2010, 11:39 PM
I'm with Softly--I adore cheesy (and YA novels, too)! Oh, and if you're "into" vampire reads, a couple of people have posted their fave series in the first pages of this thread :mountie:

great thank you daisy!!! :D :D

daisygrrl
01-07-2010, 06:33 AM
great thank you daisy!!! :D :D

It's always my pleasure to agree with such a fabulous gal! :flowers: :cheer:

Hope ya'll have a lovely day!

weatherboi
01-07-2010, 02:11 PM
:veggie:

I just finished my latest book.

WASTE
Uncovering the Global Food Scandal
Tristram Stuart

This was not an easy read. I have been reading and rereading for about 3 months now and still need to go back for reference. The book appealed to me because of my desire to live a more environmentally friendly/less impactful lifestyle. It captured me because he delivered his point without any feel of sensationalism and I couldn't discount one fact. I will not be circulating this book, and it will stay in my briefcase for quick reference. If you are a lover of feeding 1 billion hungry people, improving the quality of animals rights, a greener environment, then I reccommend this one!!

Dean Thoreau
01-07-2010, 05:29 PM
waste.....oh that sounds good..i shall definitely look for it.....

Edith Wharton........I adore have read all her books.....

also cant think of the author....she wrote Girl of the Limberlost..but if you have not read "The Harvester" omg do,,its a beautiful love story as well as giving you quite an education on herbal remedies and harvesting.. you can download the book for free on the guttenberg project. About the size of War and Peace but you wont mind a bit....I have read and re-read a few times over the past 15 years....

weatherboi
01-14-2010, 05:41 AM
Fever-how rock 'n' roll transformed gender in america
Written by Tim Riley

This was an enjoyable read for me. Lots of facts about people, not just musicians, but people behind the scenes of music and their influence. I learned alot about female studio musicians that helped create sounds for early "girl bands".

This book ignited my hibernating love of Tina Turner. The reason for this is her true impact on feminism and the feminist movement in this country. For half a decade this most awesome woman has gifted us with a variety of female dynamics that helped pave the way for other women to come in and express themselves more freely. She had to be in the trenches and fought soo hard to be Tina Turner amongst misogynists and an abuser.

This is from 2008 peeps!!! 2008 and she still rocks!!!
YouTube- Tina Turner Proud Mary Live 2008

T4Texas
01-14-2010, 06:18 AM
I'm currently reading a couple of things. One is Texas Counter Culture which is about small town diners all across Texas.
The other is The Leisure Architect:Wayne McAllister. McAllister was an achitect who designed hotels, restaurants, casinos and other public spaces. Some of his projects were the original Big Boy restaurants, The Sands Hotel in Las Vegas and popular dinner houses in Hollywood. His first big job was the Agua Caliente racetrack, hotel and casino in Tijuana, Mexico. A good book with tons of pictures.

Cassy
01-14-2010, 06:26 AM
I'm currently reading four paws, five directions. It's about traditional chinese medicine for dogs and cats.

weatherboi
01-14-2010, 06:31 AM
I'm currently reading a couple of things. One is Texas Counter Culture which is about small town diners all across Texas.
The other is The Leisure Architect:Wayne McAllister. McAllister was an achitect who designed hotels, restaurants, casinos and other public spaces. Some of his projects were the original Big Boy restaurants, The Sands Hotel in Las Vegas and popular dinner houses in Hollywood. His first big job was the Agua Caliente racetrack, hotel and casino in Tijuana, Mexico. A good book with tons of pictures.

The Leisure Architect is an awesome book. I have referenced it when developing restaurant ideas.

I am putting the Texas Counter Culture on my list because that just looks like a fun read!! I love food/restaurant history.

robbrt
01-14-2010, 08:45 AM
A Raisin In The Sun

and about 6 textbooks from my spring courses :|

Pixie
01-14-2010, 09:31 AM
The Eyes of Crow by Jen Smith-Ready

http://www.jerismithready.com/books/eyes-of-crow/

Darth Denkay
01-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Currently reading "The nearest exit may be behind you: essays by S. Bear Bergman. Only a couple chapters in but really good so far (as I expected it would be)...

SuperFemme
01-17-2010, 06:32 PM
Currently reading "The nearest exit may be behind you: essays by S. Bear Bergman. Only a couple chapters in but really good so far (as I expected it would be)...

I have a soft spot in my heart for Bear's journey. This book rocks!

Cowboi
01-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Just finished Code Blue, A Katrina Physicians Memoir
By Richard E Deichman MD

Rufusboi
01-17-2010, 09:24 PM
A Raisin In The Sun

and about 6 textbooks from my spring courses :|

Love that play but always wish more had been done with Berneatha. I wonder if she made it to med school.

Rufusboi
01-17-2010, 09:25 PM
Reading Heart of Darkness. I haven't read it in 20 years so its like reading it for the first time again. Not as interesting as I thought I remembered though.

Rufus

Isadora
01-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler

Irreverent
Silly
Dirty
and completely non essential....
sometimes you need a good trashy fun airport novel...

Rook
01-17-2010, 11:14 PM
Stephen King's Desperation & Under the Dome
:tiredcomputer:

Bob
01-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Coroner's Reports: 1896-1935, Monroe County, Indiana

http://www.monroe.lib.in.us/indiana_room/coroner.pdf

So many sparse stark stories:

08/15/1932 COX, Willis H. 83, 5'11"/200 Suicide by drinking carboric acid. He became furious with his daughter-in-law Arizona Cox, and they had a quarrel. After the quarrel, he went to his room and swallowed the poison.// Nothing of value

Semantics
01-19-2010, 10:10 AM

08/15/1932 COX, Willis H. 83, 5'11"/200 Suicide by drinking carboric acid. He became furious with his daughter-in-law Arizona Cox, and they had a quarrel. After the quarrel, he went to his room and swallowed the poison.// Nothing of value

There I was wasting away at PerezHilton when I could have been reading coroner's reports.

05/29/1906 BUTCHER, John O 24 5'8"/150 Was examining stone for dogs when the stone came together catching his head and
accidentally fracturing base of skull; death resulting immediately.//Nothing of any value

I wonder what that means? :confused:

Softly
01-19-2010, 10:55 AM
Stephen King's Desperation & Under the Dome
:tiredcomputer:

Desperation is one of my favorite SK books
:popcorn:

Sachita
01-19-2010, 11:32 AM
I wanted a Kindle sooooo bad. :( I didn't get one but I have a mini laptop and downloaded Kindle for PC. I LOVE it because I can get books instantly and adjust the font size HUGE making it so much easier for me to read. I still want a Kindle.

so I'm reading a lot these days.

I am now reading Debbie Fords "21 Day Conscious Cleanse" excellent book. I've been having a really tough time the past few months and this is really helping me a lot.

another I'm also reading now is Living in Costa Rica. I want to figure out a way to live part of the year here and part there. I dream about Costa Rica all the time. It keeps calling me.

Ryobi
01-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Reading Heart of Darkness. I haven't read it in 20 years so its like reading it for the first time again. Not as interesting as I thought I remembered though.

Rufus

I have that book. I've read it a couple times, and I feel the same way. It was different at 17 than it is at 37.

Have you seen the movie? "Apocalypse Now". I think it's the movie that has changed the book for me.

And now 'The End' by The Doors is stuck in my head! LOL.

I'm reading over my instructors manual for, Adult, child, and infant first aid, CPR and AED, for a class I have to teach in a couple weeks. Helps to brush up and keep my times in check.

Rufusboi
01-19-2010, 01:29 PM
I have that book. I've read it a couple times, and I feel the same way. It was different at 17 than it is at 37.

Have you seen the movie? "Apocalypse Now". I think it's the movie that has changed the book for me.

I'm reading over my instructors manual for, Adult, child, and infant first aid, CPR and AED, for a class I have to teach in a couple weeks. Helps to brush up and keep my times in check.

I haven't seen that film, but need to/want to. I forgot how heavy handed the symbolism is in Heart of Darkness. A very dark book but very true. I realized that it still remains popular because we can apply this book and its themes to a lot of what happens today.

I've got the two women knitting with black wool stuck in my head and keep thinking about hounds of hell and gatekeepers of hell. This image is getting mixed up with images from Paradise Lost and the woman/dog hounds of hell stuff that Milton used. Urgh no wonder I didn't sleep well last night. I've got Kurtz, hounds of hell and black wool running round in my head. So remind me what's so uplifting about reading again :)

Rufus

daisygrrl
01-19-2010, 03:27 PM

I haven't seen that film, but need to/want to. I forgot how heavy handed the symbolism is in Heart of Darkness. A very dark book but very true. I realized that it still remains popular because we can apply this book and its themes to a lot of what happens today.

I feel the same as Ryobi--Apocalypse Now helped change how I viewed Heart of Darkness. Conrad's novella is, like Rufus says, pretty heavy handed with the symbolism; the film helped me put all that abstractness into more "real" terms ("The Horror!").

And, if you ever get the chance to see it, I encourage you to watch the mini-documentary by Francis Ford Coppola (and his Ex-wife Eleanor) that they made during the turbulent filming. Between mortgaging everything they owned to make the film, numerous health crises (Sheen almost had a heart attack), a typhoon, and difficulties with Brando, doubled filming time (and six hours of tape to edit)--the film truly was a labor of love.

The new editions of the film probably (and if it doesn't, it should) include the documentary :)

SassyLeo
01-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Crooked Little Heart by Anne Lamott

I love Anne's books.

This one is taking some time to get into...and I'm not sure if it is the story or my mood :)

I also LOVE Operating Instructions, Traveling Mercies and Blue Shoe (the latter 2 rival for #1 :))

I've got Joe Jones next.

daisygrrl
01-25-2010, 05:54 AM
selections from Lucy Grealy's Autobiography of a Face--an excellent read & really wonderful to discuss with others

Alice Walker's “Beauty: When the Other Dancer is the Self”--a lovely short piece where Walker discusses her childhood trauma and how it shaped her identity

Random
01-25-2010, 10:43 AM
I am franticly re-reading The Data Valentine stories..

I'm on the last book... To Hell and Back..

Inuus
01-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Homer's Odyssey By Gwen Cooper

Very good book about a woman who rescued a blind kitten and her life with him. I was totally moved by this book..truly heartwarming story

More info here
Amazon.com: Homer's Odyssey (9780385343855): Gwen Cooper: Books

Well worth reading for cat and animal lovers

Random
01-25-2010, 07:38 PM
I am franticly re-reading The Data Valentine stories..

I'm on the last book... To Hell and Back..

Let's make that the Dante Valentine..

BestButchBoy
01-30-2010, 05:35 AM
The Franchise Babe-Dan Jenkins

Dean Thoreau
01-30-2010, 12:46 PM
My book club decided they finally wanted to read "The help" so I am re-reading...which i don't mind a bit since it is a wonderful book...and well worth several re-reads.

The sisterhood of Blackberry Corner by Andrea Smith is wonderful ...light reading, pleasurable,,make you smile,,make u giggle, make you get a tissue....

Farewell to Alms by Gregory Clark, nonfiction, Wonderful easy to read economic history of the world...not dry but not another "Freakanomics" It is better and gives you a comfortable understanding why things that r happening are happening.

Re-Reading Idiot America - How stupidity became a Virtue in the land of the free by Charles Pierce... with all the hate mongering and ignorance being spewed these days it is worth re-reading.....i wold recommend to anyone trying to understand all the current churning of the hate in america directed at everyone and everything that is not just what conservative elitists desire.

So that is it for the weekend, my book budget is expired until monday....so i shall probably find 3 or 4 other things on the gutenberg project to download and read....free books there!

WolfyOne
01-30-2010, 01:25 PM
I just finished Sue Grafton's ..... U is for Undertow and have started Lisa Gardner's new one, The Neighbor.

Legendryder
01-30-2010, 01:27 PM
The only things I have been able to read really in the past 6 months is text books for school. But, man, you never know how much you really don't know until you are back in school. It is making me feel like an idiot, really. rofl

Spa
02-05-2010, 05:20 PM

Such a romantic.

daisygrrl
02-07-2010, 09:26 AM
I'm re-reading a few right now, including:

*Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen. The memoir is different from the film, which are brilliant in their own rights. This book also makes a great gift.

*Gracefully Insane: Life and Death Inside America's Premier Mental Hospital by Alex Beam is a wonderful investigation into McLean, the mental institution where notables--such as Sylvia Plath, James Taylor, & Susanna Kaysen--visited for treatment. The discussion on (and interviews concerning) 1960s youth culture at McLean is particularly insightful.

BornBronson
02-07-2010, 03:50 PM
The Last Train from Hiroshima-Charles Pellegrino

Darth Denkay
04-15-2010, 08:45 PM
"When you are engulfed in flames" by David Sedaris. He's a wonderful essayist, writes about, well, life. With his dry sense of humor he breaks apart the irony in our every day lives, making us laugh at ourselves because that's all there is left to do.

Soon
04-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Against Nature (http://yesmeansyesblog.wordpress.com/2010/04/15/against-nature/)

Lady Pamela
04-15-2010, 09:42 PM
I am reading
"A Bridge Acrossed Forever"
By Richard Bach

And my book as I write...lol

Ghost Huntin' Daddy
04-16-2010, 12:48 AM
The Everything Ghost Hunting Book by Melissa Martin Ellis....I know, big shock....lol

daisygrrl
04-16-2010, 05:01 AM
"When you are engulfed in flames" by David Sedaris. He's a wonderful essayist, writes about, well, life. With his dry sense of humor he breaks apart the irony in our every day lives, making us laugh at ourselves because that's all there is left to do.

I adore Sedaris--and I'm encouraged to hear that you enjoyed Engulfed in Flames because several die-hard Sedaris fans have been less than thrilled. Even though I planned to read it months ago, I'm hoping for the summer now--when school's "out" (lol).

Against Nature (http://yesmeansyesblog.wordpress.com/2010/04/15/against-nature/)

This is going on my reading list!

And my book as I write...lol

How awesome! Writing is work.

The Everything Ghost Hunting Book by Melissa Martin Ellis....I know, big shock....lol

It's very cool that the amount of paranormal books these days are rising (since it used to be very difficult to find a decent and well researched book years ago).

What I'm reading:
*student papers
*my writing
*(for class, re-read) Shirley Jackson's short story "The Lottery" (freaky!)
*job announcements

pajama
04-16-2010, 05:14 AM
IFRS (International Financial Reporting Standards) for school. I'll be glad when May 5th is here and I can go back to reading fun stuff for the summer.

Mitmo01
04-16-2010, 05:25 AM
Chapterhouse..the last book by Frank Herbert in the Dune series...its a barn burner and i dont want it to end so im savoring the last 100 pages lol

afixer
04-16-2010, 08:59 AM
I'm Down

I really liked this book, a very interesting topic plus a quick and easy read.
I laughed so hard at times one of my co-workers felt compelled to check on me.

Queerasfck
04-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Cacophony by Kevin Smith. Yes, that Kevin Smith.

PinkieLee
04-16-2010, 09:11 AM
Tipping the Velvet by Sarah Waters...

christie
04-16-2010, 03:27 PM
I just finished Dead and Gone - the latest in the Sookie Stackhouse series. I must say, I like Eric better in the books than in the show, TrueBlood.

I also just finished a lovely read called Shanghai Girls by Lisa See. It is a lovely look at the 1930's and a beautiful story of the bond of two sisters.

I just started Namah's Kiss by Jacqueline Carey. For those who aren't familiar, her Kushiel series is probably in the top 2 of my all time favs. Doesn't hurt that the heroine in the Kushiel's is an anguisette (pain bearer = masochist) and that Carey creates a very tangible world. Its not often I can get absolutely absorbed in a book, and I literally could not put the first six down.

I am also reading Angel Time by Anne Rice. If I am not mistaken, its her first novel since her husband's death and I'm not quite sure it has the same "voice" as all her previous works.

julieisafemme
04-16-2010, 03:36 PM
Lit by mary Karr. I love her. The Liar's Club is one of my all time favorite books.

Fancy
04-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Ayn Rand ~ Atlas Shrugged

&

Sara Barron ~ People are Unappealing: Even Me
(this book cracks me up!)

Julien
04-17-2010, 05:27 PM
The Black Dagger Brotherhood series by J.R.Ward:2nddaywalker:

Hack
04-17-2010, 06:57 PM
Currently reading Money to Burn by James Grippando.

Up next is Faceless Killers by Henning Mankell, a Scandinavian crime writer.

Sachita
04-17-2010, 06:58 PM
Women Food and God an awesome book! anyone with weight issues or addictions should read this book.

daisygrrl
04-20-2010, 06:46 AM
Alice Walker's "Everyday Use (http://summerintheville.vox.com/library/post/everyday-use-by-alice-walker.html)"--published before The Color Purple, this short story shows Walker's growing brilliance (in my opinion). The portrayals of "education," literacy, and self-awareness are really poignant.

Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery (http://www.americanliterature.com/Jackson/SS/TheLottery.html)"--I'm always impressed with the fact that, no matter how many times I read this piece, it still disturbs me. Did you know they keep this text in the YA section? Interesting. If anyone enjoys this story, I highly recommend her novel Haunting on Hill House!

Jamaica Kincaid's "Girl (http://bcs.bedfordstmartins.com/virtualit/fiction/Girl/story.asp)"--I love this story (it's a short monologue, really), very powerful and fun to discuss. In some ways, I think it's closer to poetry than prose...

Happy Reading, ya'll!

Rufusboi
04-20-2010, 06:52 AM
Almost finished with Val McDermid's The Grave Tattoo. A mystery that involves Fletcher Christian, William Wordsworth and a long lost manuscript. Definitely up an English major's street.

Rufus

daisygrrl
04-23-2010, 03:21 PM
I just finished reading Sapphire's Push, which is the inspiration for the acclaimed film Precious. I watched the film (a present from Daddy) the first day that it was released (and we both liked it); I'll give my complete review on one of the film threads later.

Like I mentioned, I watched the film before the novel--and that, in no way, altered my ability to enjoy or appreciate the novel. It's really powerful. For fans of Alice Walker's The Color Purple (which is one of my favorite novels), I highly recommend this book--the connections will amaze you! The narrative voice, the story...all the great elements are there! And, it also does something akin to awakening the reader's soul and bringing an acute awareness of the importance of witnessing. The couple of hours spent reading this novel are certainly not wasted!

Mitmo01
04-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Hunters of Dune

Im so glad my buddy at work turned me on to the Dune world

very interesting fiction

scootebaby
04-25-2010, 01:02 PM
"Kiss Me,Kill Me" by Ann Rule--love her work

Lady Pamela
04-25-2010, 01:04 PM
My Callendar For Procrastinators!

Todays Passage Says:

DUE TO UNFORSEEN DELASY:
MOST EVENT COORDINATION AND CONCEPTUALIZATION
FOR PREOCRASTINATION WEEK
HAS BEEN RESCHEDULED FOR TODAY.

SOMEONE NEEDS TO CALL THE BALLOON-ANIMAL GUY!

http://www.randompokes.com/powerpoint_photos/humor_powerpoint_slides/samples/procrastinator_170.jpg

Rufusboi
04-25-2010, 01:39 PM
Just started Cold Moon by Deaver. A Lincoln Rhyme novel. Great page-turning mind candy. Love it.

Rufus

diamondrose
04-25-2010, 01:41 PM
my textbook for class :glasses:

Massive
04-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Jeff Lindsay - Dexter Omnibus, finally managed to get my hands on a copy, refuse to read anything else at the same time, for once!!
:sock:
:thinking:
:D

Soon
05-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Lit--by Mary Karr

I am curious about her other books now--The Liars' Club and Cherry

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_vKjY228LAFc/Styj9ghULtI/AAAAAAAACjg/ThaOlwYrS4k/s320/LitMaryKarr.jpg

Here's a Review. (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/06/books/06book.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1)

redrose
05-02-2010, 10:09 PM
her ,,, i mean her book ,,, "My Soulmate" (f)

Fancy
05-02-2010, 10:16 PM
The Omnivore's Dilemma for Kids: The Secrets Behind What You Eat
by Michael Pollan

So far we're really enjoying this book. As part of taking on 40 days of doing good deeds for the Earth in honor of Earth Day turning 40, this book is helping us be more mindful of how we treat the Earth with our eating habits. It's managed to keep us in tune and connected.

Oiler41
05-09-2010, 07:55 AM
Groomology - Getting Involved, Helping Her Plan, Respecting Tradition, Keeping Everyone Happy, Handling the Big (and Small) Stuff, and Everything that Really Matters Before You Walk Down the Aisle.

It is actually pretty informative. She has certainly been doing the lion's share of planning, with a little help from me, but she knows that I stand ready to help anytime she might need it! It is actually a pretty informative book!

Glynn

redrose
05-09-2010, 08:00 AM
all those comments hy made on my posts (f)
:computer:

UofMfan
05-09-2010, 09:13 AM
Someone suggested I read The War of Don Emmanuel's Nether Parts, and I just placed an order for it at my local bookstore.

I am looking forward to reading it and the other two in the trilogy :)

Fancy
05-13-2010, 07:51 PM
back to the funny stuff...

People are Unappealing: Even Me

by Sara Barron

nycfem
05-13-2010, 07:55 PM
I got this one on CD and just could not get into it and stopped. Maybe I should have tried it out for longer.

Lit--by Mary Karr

I am curious about her other books now--The Liars' Club and Cherry

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_vKjY228LAFc/Styj9ghULtI/AAAAAAAACjg/ThaOlwYrS4k/s320/LitMaryKarr.jpg

Here's a Review. (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/06/books/06book.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1)

nycfem
05-13-2010, 07:56 PM
Ann Rule is a favorite of mine. Such good quality true crime!

"Kiss Me,Kill Me" by Ann Rule--love her work

suebee
05-13-2010, 07:57 PM
A book of short stories by Mark Twain. The man was a genius!

nycfem
05-13-2010, 07:59 PM
I've always loved Shirley Jackson's the lottery! In high school I even got a group of peers together to act it out. It's such a classic, haunting story!

Alice Walker's "Everyday Use (http://summerintheville.vox.com/library/post/everyday-use-by-alice-walker.html)"--published before The Color Purple, this short story shows Walker's growing brilliance (in my opinion). The portrayals of "education," literacy, and self-awareness are really poignant.

Shirley Jackson's "The Lottery (http://www.americanliterature.com/Jackson/SS/TheLottery.html)"--I'm always impressed with the fact that, no matter how many times I read this piece, it still disturbs me. Did you know they keep this text in the YA section? Interesting. If anyone enjoys this story, I highly recommend her novel Haunting on Hill House!

Jamaica Kincaid's "Girl (http://bcs.bedfordstmartins.com/virtualit/fiction/Girl/story.asp)"--I love this story (it's a short monologue, really), very powerful and fun to discuss. In some ways, I think it's closer to poetry than prose...

Happy Reading, ya'll!

Spirit Dancer
05-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Fever Dream
by Douglas Preston

nycfem
05-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Can you tell I'm doing some catching up on this thread which took me awhile to find? :)

I don't know if I've mentioned to you before but I also love Susanna Kaysen's memoir as an adult: "The Camera My Mother Gave Me." Excellent!!!

I'm re-reading a few right now, including:

*Girl, Interrupted (http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Interrupted-Susanna-Kaysen/dp/0679746048/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265555785&sr=8-1) by Susanna Kaysen. The memoir is different from the film, which are brilliant in their own rights. This book also makes a great gift.

*Gracefully Insane: Life and Death Inside America's Premier Mental Hospital (http://www.amazon.com/Gracefully-Insane-Americas-Premier-Hospital/dp/1586481614/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265555823&sr=1-1-spell) by Alex Beam is a wonderful investigation into McLean, the mental institution where notables--such as Sylvia Plath, James Taylor, & Susanna Kaysen--visited for treatment. The discussion on (and interviews concerning) 1960s youth culture at McLean is particularly insightful.

nycfem
05-13-2010, 08:12 PM
I loved Lucy Grealy's book and also truly adored the non-fiction book that Lucy's best friend, Ann Patchett, wrote about their relationship: "Truth and Beauty: A Friendship." Unexpectedly wonderful!

selections from Lucy Grealy's Autobiography of a Face--an excellent read & really wonderful to discuss with others

Alice Walker's “Beauty: When the Other Dancer is the Self”--a lovely short piece where Walker discusses her childhood trauma and how it shaped her identity

MissItalianDiva
05-13-2010, 08:16 PM
Texts from a handsome sarcastic ass....

Gemme
05-13-2010, 08:18 PM
A bunch of books on altered art.
:artist:

nycfem
05-13-2010, 08:26 PM
I felt the same way about Gender Outlaw and also love her book: "Hello, Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks & Other Outlaws"

Currently skimming Kate Bornstein's Gender Outlaw: On Men, Women, & the Rest of Us for quotes. If you haven't read it, it's worth the time!

Here's an excerpt...

I write when nothing else will bring me peace, when I burn, when I find myself asking and answering the same questions over and over…I write in bottom space. I open up to you, I cut myself, I show you my fantasies, I get a kick out of that—oh, yeah. I perform in top space. I cover myself with my character and take you where you never dreamed you could go. Yes. My ancestors did this. My instrument is not my pen or my typewriter, not my lover’s Macintosh, not my cast of characters, not my body on stage. No, my instrument is my audience and oh how I love to play you.

Damn, she's brilliant--and that red hair when I saw her perform....:awww:

imadiva
05-13-2010, 08:38 PM
The Hour I First Believed by Walley Lamb

Miss Scarlett
05-14-2010, 04:46 AM
"The Royals" by Kitty Kelley

daisygrrl
05-14-2010, 04:52 AM
Can you tell I'm doing some catching up on this thread which took me awhile to find? :)

I don't know if I've mentioned to you before but I also love Susanna Kaysen's memoir as an adult: "The Camera My Mother Gave Me." Excellent!!!

I haven't read that yet, but I'm glad to hear that it's a worthwhile read (I've heard little, but negative about it--but figured the topic, not the text, was the reason).

Did you know that the title came from a a Buñuel movie, Viridiana; however, Kaysen remembered the quote wrong (it was the camera my father gave me). The scene is quite interesting--a parody of the Last Supper, some argue: at a drunken family reunion, a girl lifts her dress and to "take the picture."

Source 1 (http://www.exploringwomanhood.com/interviews/kaysen.htm); source 2 (http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Issue/story?oid=oid%3A83325)

I loved Lucy Grealy's book and also truly adored the non-fiction book that Lucy's best friend, Ann Patchett, wrote about their relationship: "Truth and Beauty: A Friendship." Unexpectedly wonderful!

Ya know, I had mixed feelings about that one; but, generally, it was difficult for me to read. I felt, at some points, Patchet was exploiting Grealy or exaggerating...or something . I've been in a couple of academic programs for creative writing, and I gotta tell anyone who hasn't that it's an odd environment. Suddenly, you have people who are in their twenties, thirties, forties, and up acting like they are jaded adolescents; for some reason, the drama is sky-high, jealousy is rampant, and there's even crying in workshop (not writing-related reasons)! So, I kinda wonder what Patchet's motives in writing were...(just sayin'). Luckily, I was able to meet Grealy during a writing workshop; gosh, she was gone way too soon.

I felt the same way about Gender Outlaw and also love her book: "Hello, Cruel World: 101 Alternatives to Suicide for Teens, Freaks & Other Outlaws"

Ooh, I love that one too! I think it's an awesome book to gift to others, as well :)

The Hour I First Believed by Walley Lamb

I enjoy Lamb's writing style, but I haven't read that one. I really love [I]Couldn't Keep It to Myself: Wally Lamb and the Women of York Correctional Institution (Testimonies from our Imprisoned Sisters).

Happy Readin', Ya'll!

Sachita
05-14-2010, 05:40 AM
I probably posted this but I just finished it. "Women Food & God" by Geneen Roth. It doesn't normally take me so long to finish a book. I'm busy, its true but I found myself going back, reading, putting down and reflecting. This book brought tears to my eyes and it very well may change my life.

I don't diet any more. I am learning to listen to my body and understand why I want things. Learning to be kind to my body and heal.

Great book I will read again and again

Rufusboi
05-14-2010, 09:17 AM
I'm currently reading Keep the Grave Green by Deborah Crombie. The story and characters feel like an Elizabeth George knock off. George writes the Inspector Lynley mysteries. So far a good story but Elizabeth George is much better and more entertaining. Rufus

Semantics
05-17-2010, 03:32 PM
I just finished Under Saturn's Shadow: The Wounding and Healing of Men by James Hollis.

Just started The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larrson. :) I was ready for some fiction.

Softly
05-17-2010, 04:34 PM
The Dharma Bums by Jack Kerouac

then I plan on reading The Host by Stephine Meyer. :thinking:

Kobi
05-17-2010, 04:59 PM
Innocent by Scot Turow....sequel to Presumed Innocent.

cara
05-17-2010, 10:31 PM
I'm in the middle of The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo.

Good book. Took a few chapters to get into it, but it's an easy book to pick up on my bus ride to/from work.

:stillheart:

cane
05-17-2010, 10:43 PM

Good book. Took a few chapters to get into it, but it's an easy book to pick up on my bus ride to/from work.

It's an ok book...the film was ok too, Don't know if you have the film in the US, or if they are making a new version for you guys...

cane
05-17-2010, 11:27 PM
BTW, I'm reading 'Pride and Prejudice' by the ever so awsome Jane Austen...simply love her, and love the language...

Kate09
05-18-2010, 12:27 AM
I have a habit of reading certain books over and over. I love the familiarity i find in them. I learn the stories so well...but i never fail to see a new angle.
some of those faves are..

While Oleander; Janet Fitch
"Loneliness is the human condition. Cultivate it.The way it tunnels into you allows your soul room to grow. Never expect to outgrow loneliness. Never hope to find people who will understand you, someone to fill that space...If you expect to find people who will understand you, you will grow murderous with disappointment. The best you'll ever do is to understand yourself, know what it is that you want, and not let the cattle stand in your way"

She's come undone; Wally Lamb

Eat, Pray, Love; Elizabeth Gilbert

Memoirs of a Geisha; Arthur Golden

Wicked; Gregory Macguire

I am reading one of these books at all times, as well as whatever newbies I have in my little hands. I love books. They've never truly let me down.

Martina
05-18-2010, 04:16 AM
Just finished Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson. About building schools in Pakistan. Amazing story. Both hopeful and sad.

torchiegirl
05-18-2010, 06:02 AM
Cold Mountain by Charles Frazier
Lincoln's Ladies by H. Donald Winkler and Frank J. Williams
The Private Papers of Eastern Jewel: A Novel by Maureen Lindley

Rook
05-18-2010, 08:14 AM
The Remains of the Day - Kazuo Ishiguro

&

La ciudad de las bestias {The City of Beasts} - Isabel Allende {the First book of a Trilogy}

:knit::violin:

apretty
05-19-2010, 09:55 AM
simone de beauvoir's 'the second sex'. (2010)

the new english translation and unabridged!

but first i'm just finishing irene vilar's 'impossible motherhood: testimony of an abortion addict' (2009)

Random
05-19-2010, 10:35 AM
I just finished Under Saturn's Shadow: The Wounding and Healing of Men (http://www.amazon.com/Under-Saturns-Shadow-Wounding-Psychology/dp/0919123643) by James Hollis.

Just started The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (http://www.amazon.com/Girl-Dragon-Tattoo-Stieg-Larsson/dp/1847242537) by Stieg Larrson. :) I was ready for some fiction.

Ohhh I just finished The Girl who played with Fire... I love, love, love the way Stieg writes.. I ate the book in one day...

Random
05-19-2010, 10:38 AM
It's an ok book...the film was ok too, Don't know if you have the film in the US, or if they are making a new version for you guys...

The film is/was on limited release and they are making an 'merican version..

Brad Pitt is rumored to play Blomkvist..

afixer
05-26-2010, 12:20 PM
this...

Amazon.com: Playing for Pizza (9780440244714): John Grisham: Books

and this...

Amazon.com: Genesis 6 Giants Master Builders of Prehistoric and Ancient Civilizations (9780972134705): Stephen Quayle:…

hpychick
05-26-2010, 06:16 PM
The Spontaneous Fulfillment of Desire by Deepak Chopra.

Excellent reading....and great for my soul at this point in my life.

daisygrrl
05-31-2010, 02:22 PM
I just finished reading Leslie Feinberg's Drag King Dreams, which had been on my shelf for a while. At first, I was reluctant--because, having just read Stone Butch Blues (yes, I was "behind" in my reading), I wasn't sure if my expectations were realistic. Anyhow, my first reaction was, "wow, this is poetic." But, really, I grew to love the characters--and the message; I sincerely recommend this book. (f)

daisygrrl
05-31-2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks to Ms. Jen, I also read Bob Flanagan's The Pain Journal. And, I watched the documentary, Sick, based on the latter years of his life as a masochist. Both were truly eye-opening. I must say that I'm still (a few months later) awed at how much he challenges assumptions about pain--and, for me (specifically) the engagement (word choice?) between masochism and topping. Yes, I'm still mulling over this one :) Thanks, Jen!

nycfem
05-31-2010, 03:51 PM
Is it a novel?

I just finished reading Leslie Feinberg's Drag King Dreams, which had been on my shelf for a while. At first, I was reluctant--because, having just read Stone Butch Blues (yes, I was "behind" in my reading), I wasn't sure if my expectations were realistic. Anyhow, my first reaction was, "wow, this is poetic." But, really, I grew to love the characters--and the message; I sincerely recommend this book. (f)

daisygrrl
05-31-2010, 03:52 PM
Is it a novel?

Yup, it's a novel...but, in my opinion, very poetic--both in content and language. And, that's a characteristic that struck me from the beginning.

*hugs*

nycfem
06-01-2010, 06:44 AM
So glad to hear this! His work has been so influential to me.

Another good book by Bob Flanagan is Super Masochist.

Thanks to Ms. Jen, I also read Bob Flanagan's The Pain Journal. And, I watched the documentary, Sick, based on the latter years of his life as a masochist. Both were truly eye-opening. I must say that I'm still (a few months later) awed at how much he challenges assumptions about pain--and, for me (specifically) the engagement (word choice?) between masochism and topping. Yes, I'm still mulling over this one :) Thanks, Jen!

nycfem
06-01-2010, 06:46 AM
I've read mixed reviews of Impossible Motherhood. What did you think?

simone de beauvoir's 'the second sex'. (2010)

the new english translation and unabridged!

but first i'm just finishing irene vilar's 'impossible motherhood: testimony of an abortion addict' (2009)

AtLast
06-01-2010, 06:59 AM
Infidel, Ayaan Hirsi Ali

Will certainly read her latest- Nomad: From Islam to America: A Personal Journey Through the Clash of Civilizations as well.

cane
06-01-2010, 10:16 AM
The film is/was on limited release and they are making an 'merican version..

Brad Pitt is rumored to play Blomkvist..

Any rumors as who is to portrait Lisbeth Salander?

Always interesting to compare the swedish (or european) version of a film with the american. I wonder though does americans ever see the original versions of the remakes?

apretty
06-01-2010, 10:33 AM
I've read mixed reviews of Impossible Motherhood. What did you think?

difficult read (i'm having baby thoughts these days) but overall sad and incredibly worthwhile.

-

i didn't finish the beauvior and it's due back today--it would have made a great door stop or weapon. (it's only available for 2 weeks' check out)

now i'm into this: the fortress of solitude (jonathan lethem)

link: Amazon.com: The Fortress of Solitude: A Novel (9780385500692):…

Spirit Dancer
06-01-2010, 10:50 AM
I've started two
Little Bees by: Chris Cleave

And

Healing Sands By: by Nancy N. Rue; Stephen Arterburn

Semantics
06-01-2010, 02:32 PM

I just read that one along with the other two in the trilogy. I wasn't really blown away until the last book when the whole thing comes together. In the end it's a pretty amazing story.

It's sad that Stieg Larsson died before the books were published and such a huge success. Supposedly there's a fourth book nearly completed on his computer (that his heirs are fighting over) and outlines for the sixth and seventh. He had planned ten in all. I selfishly feel disappointed that we won't find out what he intended for Salanger.

theoddz
06-01-2010, 02:35 PM
I recently bought an Amazon Kindle electronic reader and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. One of the features I love the most about it is the fact that I can enlarge the print and not have to don my reading glasses. :nerd:

Most recently, I am re-reading Frank McCourt's memoir of "Angela's Ashes" and it's just as good a read now as it was 10 years ago when it was on the best seller list. :winky:

~Theo~ :bouquet:....addicted to his Kindle. :)

Passionaria
06-01-2010, 10:29 PM
I am reading The Emergent Self
An Existential-Gestalt Approach by: Peter Philippson
For a Gestalt Therapy reading group I am part of.

And Traditional Chinese Medicine Formulas and Statagies by: Bensky

No light reading over here for awhile......

:cat: Pashi

2myladyblue
06-01-2010, 10:38 PM
The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb
:blueheels:
~LadyBlue

Enigma
06-01-2010, 11:04 PM
D. H. Lawrence and the Body Mystical
by Frederick Carter

at this moment... this passage:

"...mysticism is the means through which man seeks within himself the secret springs of life that are common to all things alive, existing in the greatest as in the least. It seeks, too, the very extent of life, finding a kinship and the stirrings of a mutual state of being in unsuspected places. Contemplative, the mind withdraws from too close contact, the better to envisage the rushing stream of existence..."

Venus007
06-01-2010, 11:29 PM
The Children of Hurin
By JRR Tolkien as compiled and edited by Christopher Tolkien

Martina
06-02-2010, 12:36 AM
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. i think she lives in Ann Arbor. Pretty engrossing. Vampires and research in old archives.

Lady_Wu
06-13-2010, 09:25 AM
For study, I'm reading Taoist yoga: Alchemy and Immortality by Lu K'uan Yu and Holding Yin, Embracing Yang trans. by Eva Wong. For fun, I'm listening to Off Season by Ann Rivers Siddon and reading Digging to America by Anne Tyler. All highly recommended!

Linus
06-13-2010, 09:33 AM
I'm still slogging through The Elegant Universe. I want to get through that before I start others. I am also going through some manuals/PDFs for work as well in preparation for a new course.

No fiction or other books for the time being.

Semantics
06-13-2010, 09:45 AM
I'm reading Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions.

It's about a two dimensional world inhabited by sentient geometric shapes. One of the main characters, a square, discovers another dimension and sends everything into an uproar.

It was written 125 years ago and while it's a book about science/ math/ physics it also touches on a lot of the sociological issues of that time.

Kätzchen
06-13-2010, 12:58 PM
Bernard, Ted. (2010). Hope and Hard Times: Communities, Collaboration and Sustainability. Gabriola Island, BC, Canada: New Society Publishers.

rawk
06-13-2010, 01:03 PM
Severed book about the Black Dahlia murder.

Kätzchen
06-14-2010, 07:25 AM
I'm reading Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions.

It's about a two dimensional world inhabited by sentient geometric shapes. One of the main characters, a square, discovers another dimension and sends everything into an uproar.

It was written 125 years ago and while it's a book about science/ math/ physics it also touches on a lot of the sociological issues of that time.

I bet I would like this book (story) a lot!

waxnrope
06-14-2010, 07:31 AM
I'm reading Faith and Feminism: A Holy Alliance by Helen LaKelly Hunt.
There's a reason that I read this, that is not a topic for this thread. However, there is an introduction by Gloria Steinem. The usual proclamations of universality, which caused grief for second wave feminist, such as Steinem, continues in bits of this book ~ and that creates some angst for me. Otherwise, it is early on so far in the reading, it is informative and challenging at times.

Lady_Wu
06-14-2010, 05:09 PM
Flatland has a sequel, though I cannot remember the name of it. I don't believe that the sequel was written by the same author, since it was written many years after Flatland. I'll try to find out the name of it. I have my very own personal librarian:detective:at the Library of Congress in Charleston.:)
I have added a book to my studies: Holding Yin, Embracing Yang trans. Eva Wong. This is really helping me understand the Taoist Yoga trans. Lu K'uam Yu.

My thanks to everyone who responds to this thread. As a longtime addict to bookdust, I'm always curious to know what others are reading.

I am writing again these days. You can find my poems in the POETRY section of the forums. I am writing a book by way of a blog called THE NAMELESS GATE. This is a series of reflections started by words of different authors. You can find it at URL:
http:/thenamelessgate-returntothewuchi.blogspot.com
Comments, both on the poems and the blog entries, will be much appreciated!
Namaste!
Lady_Wu

Lady_Wu
06-14-2010, 05:17 PM
I'd already said I was reading Holding Yin, Embracing Yang! My apologies for the repetition.:| I blame on my poor short-term memory!
Lady_Wu

Fancy
06-14-2010, 06:23 PM
Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life
by: Barbara Kingsolver

So far, not just a journal-esque style account of one family's change, but stuffed full of interesting facts about resources on Earth. I'm loving it, because it's easier to digest and more down-to-Earth than The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals.

Bon Appétit

JakeTulane
06-14-2010, 06:58 PM
Right now I have a few books going (which is the norm.. I read whichever one jumps out at Me at any given time)

My niece and nephew talked Me into going through the Harry Potter series. I liked all of the movies and did think I would like the books. I was wrong. I am just now finishing the 3rd. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.

I am also reading Awearness by Kenneth Cole. A wonderful book on famous and not famous people who do all sorts of volunteer work and giving back to the World and Earth. Very Inspiring. I highly recommend it.

Also, Gore Vidal: A Biography by Fred Kaplan.

Finally - The Code: 10 Intentions for a Better World (Use the Laws of Manifestation to Achieve Your Highest Good) by Tony Burroughs. I highly, highly recommend this book... this is the second perusal I have done with it.

In this book the 10 Intentions for a Better World are:

1. Support Life

2. Seek Truth

3. Set Your Course

4. Simplify

5. Stay Positive

6. Synchronize

7. Serve Others

8. Shine Your Light

9. Share Your Vision

10. Synergize

A great read. nods. .

UofMfan
06-14-2010, 07:51 PM
Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance. ~ Noam Chomsky

For the second time, as I wait for my new books to arrive.

always2late
06-14-2010, 08:01 PM
Perfection by Julie Metz and Too Much Happiness by Alice Munro

cane
06-14-2010, 10:40 PM
I'm reading The Saga of Gösta Berling - Selma Lagerlöf (Nobelprice 1909), must have read it a hundred times, simply love it...

afixer
06-15-2010, 07:38 PM
The Te of Piglet (http://www.amazon.com/Te-Piglet-Benjamin-Hoff/dp/0140230165/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1276652166&sr=1-4)

Semantics
06-15-2010, 07:50 PM
I just finished a book today called In the Woods by Tana French.

It was awful. I trudged my way through it to try and find out the answer to the mystery and, well, I'm just going to stop there because I don't want to ruin it for anyone.

My advice? Don't bother. :lol2:

JakeTulane
06-17-2010, 07:46 AM
Well, I am now 6 chapters into the 4th Harry Potter book - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I am still truly amazed at how much I am enjoying the read of this series. I had serious doubts.

Oh, and My list is still the same as the earlier post. Just the Harry Potter change-up.

:tea:

Passionaria
06-18-2010, 12:31 AM
I just started The claiming of Sleeping Beauty by Anne Rice

It's Squirmy good..........

Kätzchen
06-18-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm reading from four texts and various scholarly literature available for collaboration studies.

Bernard, T. (2010). Hope and Hard Times: Communities, Collaboration & Sustainability. Canada: New Society Publishers.

Cox, R. (2010). Environmental Communication and the Public Sphere. Los Angeles, CA: Sage Publications.

Brick, P., Snow, P., Van de Wettering, S. (Eds.). (2001). Across the Great Divide: Explorations in Collaborative Conservation and the American West. Washington, DC: Island Press Publishers.

Gray, B. (1989). Collaborating: Finding Common Ground for Multiparty Problems. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass Publishers.

And 9 sources of scholarly literature to include authors: Deetz (2008), Fischer, Ury & Patton (1991), Heath & Frey (2004), Heath (2010, in press), Levinas & Buber (2004), Lukensmeyer & Brigham (2005), Spano (2001), Barge (2002), Kennedy (2006, Congressional Testimony doc).

daisygrrl
06-19-2010, 09:31 PM
I just finished reading Martha O’Conner’s Bitch Posse. Yes, it unequivocally challenges what “chic lit” is—by its preface and conclusion, and it’s “content.” It’s been about three hours since I completed the novel, but I’m still impassioned. And maybe not in the best of ways. Yes, I adored the characters, the plot (or, rather, the supposed, dramatic “pinnacle”)— I predicted. But, I felt depressed and angered during the entire ordeal [and I choose the word “ordeal”] of reading the novel—and maybe that was the point. The novel, to me, feels like a compilation of Duncan Lois (Killing Mr. Griffin and Daughters of Eve, in particular) and any one of Carol Oates’ pieces [I’m thinking of her short story, “Where are you going, Where have you been?”—one of my favorites, in particular]. I’m aggravated, I think (in particular), because I expected to feel empowered by reading this text; instead, I feel like I’ve listened to an entire oeuvre of a music artist and still none-the-wiser—about the artist or myself. Maybe I expect too much from fiction, but I am totally dismayed.

Aggravated bibliophile (or am i just all punk?!),
D---

Gemme
06-19-2010, 09:43 PM
My housemate brought me a book from the library called Signspotting, because I like stuff like this. Basically, it's what it sounds like....spotting odd/weird/unusual/funny/etc signs.

Some of my faves thus far:

Promised Land: CLOSED
Evacuation Route--Not a Through Street
Forest Closes at 11:00PM
Caution: Please Be Aware that the Balcony is not on Ground Level
To Feed Fish Please Lay Down and Reach for the Water
Dead Peoples Things for Sale
Barf Bed & Breakfast
Toilet ----> Stay in Your Car

:blink:

The last book she brought home for me? I Haz a Hotdog, the canine version of Lolcatz. :dog:

Enchantress
06-19-2010, 11:21 PM
Eat Pray Love (again)

Elizabeth Gilbert (author)

chefhottie25
06-19-2010, 11:31 PM
the yellow heart a collection of poems by pablo neruda...in spanish

Lady_Wu
06-21-2010, 12:52 PM
I like giving and reading book reviews in this cozy little book club of our on the Planet. My thanks to you who give book reviews! I finally finished Anne River Siddons Off Season and found it to be better than good! I always like her books. They are what I call "women's books": not chicklit, not romances (in the Harlequin sense) but well-written books for women who have lived a bit. They always make me think, and the ending on this one will have me considering its ramifications for a while. Then I moved on to listening to Life Laid Bare:The Survivors in Rwanda Speak. This book presents 14 Tutsi survivors accounts of the 1994 Hutu genocide of the Tutsis in Rwanda. This will be a book that I will have to listen to in small amounts. Aside from being extremely graphic, it presents the survivors thoughts on WHY the genocide happened, how it changed forever their views of life and death, and how they live now. Most so far seem to have found no reason for why it happened and speak disparaging of the views put forth by sociologists. It happened; that is all one can say. I'd love to discuss this book with someone else. May I put it forth as as the first book for our emerging Book Club? Then I found EXACTLY the right book for my life now: Rightsizing Your Life by Cigi Ware. This book is giving me hope that I CAN change my life! That, nomatter that I am ill, I do have resources upon which and whom I can draw! Thank you, Ms. Ware! Happy reading, all!!!
Namaste,
LadyWu

Melissa
06-21-2010, 01:03 PM
Just started Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.

Miss Scarlett
07-04-2010, 12:28 PM
Elie Wiesel's "And the Sea is Never Full, Memoirs, 1969 - " the follow up to the first volume of his memoirs "All Rivers Run to the Sea."

How I would love to spend a few hours talking with this amazing man.

Kätzchen
07-04-2010, 12:50 PM
That Old Ace in the Hole
by Annie Proulx

Sachita
07-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Mahabharata by Krishna Dharma

leatherfaery
07-04-2010, 01:40 PM
My Dark Places by James Ellroy

Random
07-04-2010, 01:42 PM
Chapter House Dune

Get Thin from the inside Out

How to outwit a cat

Dummies guild to Mentalpos..

Abigail Crabby
07-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Blockade Billy -

By Stephen King:glasses:

rockybcn
07-04-2010, 03:18 PM
The Book Thief...... a novel by Markus Zusak. Set in Nazi Germany, it describes a young girl's relationships with her foster parents, the other residents of their neighborhood, and a Jewish fist-fighter who hides in her home during the escalation of World War II. The story is told from the point of view of Death.

Miss Scarlett
07-04-2010, 03:55 PM
My Dark Places by James Ellroy

I haven't read this one but I have read his first novel "The Black Dahlia". These two works are somewhat related in that the murder of his mother led to his interest in the Elizabeth Short murder. Have you read "The Black Dahlia"? I'd be interested in your comments on the relationship between the two books/murders.

Semantics
07-05-2010, 05:23 PM
The Passage by Justin Cronin

It's so deliciously disturbing.

oblivia
07-05-2010, 11:33 PM
the Sookie Stackhouse books (the series that the show Tru Blood is based on).

Miss Scarlett
07-06-2010, 04:31 AM
:glasses:Yesterday I picked up a copy of "When You Eat at the Refrigerator, Pull Up a Chair: 50 Ways to Feel Thin, Gorgeous, and Happy (When You Feel Anything But)" by Geneen Roth. Recommended by the ladies at one of my favorite local women's stores, The Bag Lady, who tell me they cannot keep it in stock.

This is going to be my "purse book" today...Yes, I am such a nerd that I always have a book in my purse for reading at lunch, sitting at traffic lights or any other waiting.

Fancy
07-06-2010, 02:40 PM
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. i think she lives in Ann Arbor. Pretty engrossing. Vampires and research in old archives.

It took me awhile and a few attempts to get started with this book (it seemed overly descriptive, long, and rambling). However, once I did get deeper into the book it was well worth it. Enjoy!

Fancy
07-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Bernard, Ted. (2010). Hope and Hard Times: Communities, Collaboration and Sustainability. Gabriola Island, BC, Canada: New Society Publishers.

I've read the reviews and this looks like a great read. What do you think so far?

dreadgeek
07-06-2010, 02:56 PM
I usually have a few physical (well now Kindle) books and a couple of audio books going at any given time. This is what I currently have going:

Moving to Higher Ground: How Jazz Can Change Your Life (Wynton Marsalis)

Justice: What's the Right Thing to Do (Michael J. Sandel)

The Theory of the Leisure Class (Thornstein Veblen)

The Heart of Valor (Tanya Huff)

Currently listening to:

The Closing of the American Mind (Alan Bloom)

The Trouble with Physics: The Rise of String Theory, the Fall of a Science and What Comes Next (Lee Smolin)

The Diamond Age (Neal Stephenson)

Next on my reading list are:

Freefall: America, Free Markets and the Sinking of the World Economy (Joseph Stiglitz)

Anna Karenina - Leo Tolstoy

Liars for Jesus: The Religious Right's Alternate Version of American History Vol. 1 (Chris Rodda)

I just finished up:

The Science of Liberty: Democracy, Reason and the Laws of Nature (Timothy Ferris)

God is Not One: The Eight Rival Religions that Run the World and Why Their Differences Matter (Stephen Prothero)

Cheers
Aj

afixer
07-06-2010, 05:41 PM
The Help - Kathryn Stockett

Pretty Woman
07-06-2010, 06:48 PM
I read The Help a few months ago. Pleasantly surprised that it wasn't so predictable. Would be interested in your take, afixer.

Now I'm reading My Antonia by Willa Cather and Dark Places by Gillian Flynn

cane
07-06-2010, 11:02 PM
Currently reading:

-Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh
-Poetry 1945-2002 by Wislawa Szymborska
-Les Liaisons Dangereuses by Pierre-Ambroise-Francois Choderlos de Laclos

afixer
07-08-2010, 07:32 AM
I read The Help a few months ago. Pleasantly surprised that it wasn't so predictable. Would be interested in your take, afixer.

just finished it up last night at work and I enjoyed it.
interesting story lines and a good first novel for southern writer Stockett.
I don't do much fiction really but when I do I tend to lean towards a southern writer and theme.

Semantics
07-08-2010, 07:36 AM
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.

Think Running Man for teenagers.

afixer
07-08-2010, 07:36 AM
a couple dozen old Look Magazines a friend picked up for me months ago.

GoofyLuvr
07-08-2010, 11:03 AM
"The Well of Ascension" by Brandon Sanderson

Darth Denkay
07-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Water for elephants, by Sara Gruen

My girlfriend loved it! I haven't gotten terribly far into it but so far it's good. Takes place in a traveling circus and seems to revolve around an ill-fated love affair and the human-animal bond (just to clarify, the ill-fated love affair was NOT between a human and an animal :|

dark_crystal
07-08-2010, 07:45 PM
i just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and now i am reading...whatever the latest House of Night book is

Duchess
07-08-2010, 07:49 PM
Spontaneous Healing by Dr. Andrew Weil

leatherfaery
07-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I haven't read this one but I have read his first novel "The Black Dahlia". These two works are somewhat related in that the murder of his mother led to his interest in the Elizabeth Short murder. Have you read "The Black Dahlia"? I'd be interested in your comments on the relationship between the two books/murders.

I have not read "The Black Dahlia" by him but I am sure that I will want to after I finish reading My Dark Places. It has a lot of significance in this book. I am now curious about what perspective he writes from regarding that case.

Kätzchen
07-11-2010, 10:12 PM
I've read the reviews and this looks like a great read. What do you think so far?

Hi there! I just saw this tonight!

Well, the book itself showcases a series of miniature environmental case studies from different regions in the US.

The Bernard (2010) text supplemented the core reading list for my CST 591 Environmental Communication Studies class. At the end of our course, our professor sought out class opinion about whether to keep this book as part of the readings list. I feel that this text is a great resouce; other students felt it should be dropped. It's written from a sociological perspective and not too many understand that type of applied lens. We had students from various disciplines in our class - so this might be a reason why some students felt the way they did.

Bernard's (2010) compilation of various community issues is a snap-shot approach. He gives as much background as possible to each case presented. For example, the case offering on the Wisconsin tribe of the Menominee was useful because here in Oregon we have a similar situation: land issue disputes between two confederated tribes (The Confederated Tribes of the Grand Ronde and the Confederated Tribes of the Warm Springs) and how policy -in the past and present- drawn around gaming, landuse, or other problematic economic issues they face as stakeholders, in a ten-year long dispute process that is very complicated.

I learned a lot about how people come together to solve situations/dilemmas that affect communities and felt this book was indispensible in my learning process!

Thanks for asking me about the book!
Have you read it as well, daisy???

Jesse
08-08-2010, 09:39 PM
The Complete C.S. Lewis Signature Classics - Working on The ScrewTape Letters for now.

I received this book as a Christmas present and am just now getting around to really reading it. :sunglass:

Soft*Silver
08-08-2010, 11:01 PM
I am about to read The Story of B. Its by the author of Ishmeal. Has anyone read either book? I read Ishmael and enjoyed it. It was a life changing book for my daughter, much like Johnathon Livingston Seagull was for me when i was her age.

Soft*Silver
08-08-2010, 11:03 PM
OH! I have been wanting to read that book! I am going to see if I cant get it at the library when I go to the hospital for my surgery. I want to bring a few books so I can read and not just watch TV all day.

The Complete C.S. Lewis Signature Classics - Working on The ScrewTape Letters for now.

I received this book as a Christmas present and am just now getting around to really reading it. :sunglass:

Soft*Silver
08-08-2010, 11:04 PM
I liked the last book....but I think they best lay it down and start a new project.

i just finished The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and now i am reading...whatever the latest House of Night book is

cane
08-08-2010, 11:06 PM
Jane Eyre - Charlotte Brontë

(What can I say, I'm just a sucker for the old classics)

DamonK
08-08-2010, 11:17 PM
The Boys by Martin Gilbert

Documents the lives of 732 boys and girls during the Holocaust, their lives before the camps, the camps, and after the camps.

Jesse
08-08-2010, 11:21 PM
I am enjoying it greatly :) Hope you can find it.

OH! I have been wanting to read that book! I am going to see if I cant get it at the library when I go to the hospital for my surgery. I want to bring a few books so I can read and not just watch TV all day.

christie
08-09-2010, 06:57 AM
I just finished Archeron by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Out of all the Dark Hunter series I have read (to date), its my fav by a landslide!

I have the latest Jacqueline Carey, Naamah's Curse waiting in the wings. I may have to go back and read Naamah's Kiss again to remind myself of the storyline. I HATE books in a series with such a length of time between releases!

BBinNYC
08-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Joining thread...

I usually read a fair amount, though because I read The New Yorker every week, it cuts into my book time. About a month ago, I started reading with a Kindle DX and since then I have been reading non-stop. I have a wish list on the Kindle and every time I finish one book, I just download another. It's something I didn't think I'd enjoy as much as I do, but it really changes a lot about reading.

Here's what I've read on the Kindle:

Insignificant Others - Stephen Macauley - a book about a gay man in middle age and about relationship choices. Set in Boston, where I lived for many years, I enjoyed reading a story taking place in a city that I know and love.

Girl in Translation - Jean Kwok - about the Chinese immigrant experience in NYC. Very well written and moving.

The Frozen Rabbi - Steve Stern - the second book of his I've read. It's a magical realism with a twist of Hasidism about a family that has kept a celebrated rabbi frozen for generations until he thaws out in a power outage. A wonderful book.

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - also magical realism about a girl who tastes the emotions of the people who have cooked the food she eats. Really well done and recommended.

I also read The Help (pre-Kindle) and like it tremendously. I can see why it's been on the best seller list forever.

Looking forward to hearing more about what all of you are reading.

BBinNYC

Abigail Crabby
08-09-2010, 08:39 AM
I'm currently reading Stephen Kings, Under the Dome.

Being a mega King fan, I'm thrilled to find new material by him.

Lady_Wu
08-09-2010, 09:38 AM
For my studies I am reading Taoist Yoga: Alchemy and Immortality; Holding Yin, Embracing Yang, and Nourishing the Essence of the Body, and The Essential Tao. For my Buddhist studies, I am reading Hinayana; The Heart Sutra; The Lotus Sutra; and The Path. For fun I am reading Honesty and Death and listening to Books: A Memoir.
Think that's enough?
Lady_Wu:glasses:

leatherfaery
08-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Finishing Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs then going to start reading Ordinary Men by Christopher R Browning

Laerkin
08-09-2010, 05:50 PM
Just loaded my new eReader up with "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" and got almost halfway through it today. Then I start "Bullet" by Laurell Hamilton. And "Before Roe v. Wade: Voices that Shaped the Abortion Debate" for my book club.

Ryobi
08-09-2010, 06:08 PM
"Aristotle and an Aardvark go to Washington." Understanding political doublespeak through philosophy and jokes. by, Thomas Cathcart and Daniel Klien

It has both cracked me up and made me mad at times. sometimes at the same time.

Next I want to read by them, "Plato and a Platypus walk into a bar"

afixer
08-10-2010, 07:57 AM
The Frozen Rabbi - Steve Stern - the second book of his I've read. It's a magical realism with a twist of Hasidism about a family that has kept a celebrated rabbi frozen for generations until he thaws out in a power outage. A wonderful book.

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake - also magical realism about a girl who tastes the emotions of the people who have cooked the food she eats.

so I read this post last night and went to Barnes an Noble this morning.

The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake looks fascinating. I have thoughts about the food I eat and who's preparing it...weird I know.

Darth Denkay
08-15-2010, 05:32 PM
I've read both Ishmael books. I think they should be required reading for everyone on the planet. Haven't read Story of B - what did you think?

I am about to read The Story of B. Its by the author of Ishmeal. Has anyone read either book? I read Ishmael and enjoyed it. It was a life changing book for my daughter, much like Johnathon Livingston Seagull was for me when i was her age.