PDA

View Full Version : Natural Healing for Pets

Sachita
06-27-2010, 11:39 AM
I just posted something for ticks and fleas that works on my blog:
http://farmgoddess.com/?p=164

It's pretty funny because I wasn't sure it worked because I use so many things to naturally combat pest, including my hens. After a trip down to the creek I checked my dogs for ticks and they didnt have even one. I, however had FIVE. So now I'm taking what my dogs are taking.

Anyhow I thought it would be great to talk about natural healing as well as the emotional well being of your pets. I take care of other people's dogs and it hurts my heart when I'm instructed to give them medications I know have harmful side effects. Thousands of dollars later they are often in worse shape then when they started.

It pisses me off when i read controversy over natural home remedies. The pharmaceutical companies know how precious our pets are to us. It also pisses me off that pet food isn't regulated better and that 1000's of pets can die because of it. I am at the point where I might start making my pets food again because everytime you turn around you hear about another recall.

I feed my dogs, chickens, pigs and cats all kinds of foods and herbs that help them. Yogurt, sweet potatoes, even fresh herbs I grow in summer. I buy apples for them, nuts, whatever I can get on sale and hopefully organic or at least natural.

My poor pig is allergic to hay and most bedding. Every winter she gets sores all over her scratches them and they break open. Not long ago I had a bad cold, sinus infection, in my chest and it seemed to linger on. Desperate I bought Grapefruit Seed Extract. I was amazed how quickly it knocked it out. I decided to give some to Lilly and sure enough they are going away and she's looking great.

So I'd love to hear from you. Ideas, tips, comments.

Thanks,
Tamara

Soft*Silver
06-27-2010, 11:55 AM
omg..you had FIVE ticks on you??? Girl....makes me want to cringe!

I like your natural tick and flea repellant. I have heard people using that on horses too, fyi....

Sachita
06-27-2010, 12:14 PM
omg..you had FIVE ticks on you??? Girl....makes me want to cringe!

I like your natural tick and flea repellant. I have heard people using that on horses too, fyi....

yep FIVE and two them attached. Someone just sent me a message from my blog saying they gave it horses for flies as well. I'm buying a gallon and giving to my pig. They just love her.

ButchEire
06-27-2010, 12:14 PM
I have given my cats and dogs supplements with brewer's yeast in them for years and have NEVER had a flea or tick on any of them. Great thread!

Sachita
06-27-2010, 01:07 PM
I have given my cats and dogs supplements with brewer's yeast in them for years and have NEVER had a flea or tick on any of them. Great thread!

Is that just from the yeast or other supplements? Please share

ButchEire
06-27-2010, 02:18 PM
From what I read years ago, it's the yeast. I add a powdered comprehensive supplement from only natural pet.

Is that just from the yeast or other supplements? Please share

Andrew, Jr.
06-27-2010, 03:13 PM
One thing I do is give my cats and Dino garlic. They all love garlic. I grow garlic chives and the cats eat that. Dino eats garlic on his dry and wet food. Just a dash of it. I think some of the pet meds that are for fleas, ticks, and heartworm just are a gimmick. I love animals of all kinds. I too hate to see any animal suffer.

Sachita
06-27-2010, 04:59 PM
From what I read years ago, it's the yeast. I add a powdered comprehensive supplement from only natural pet.

Yes you could be right but I think the vinegar and garlic create a scent that keeps them from even jumping on. I'm telling you, I had FIVE ticks and not even ONE jumped on my dogs

ButchEire
06-27-2010, 05:02 PM
Thats great! Hate using any chemicals for anything and I try to at least use pet-safe products, even for everyday cleaning.

Yes you could be right but I think the vinegar and garlic create a scent that keeps them from even jumping on. I'm telling you, I had FIVE ticks and not even ONE jumped on my dogs

Sachita
06-27-2010, 05:25 PM
One thing I do is give my cats and Dino garlic. They all love garlic. I grow garlic chives and the cats eat that. Dino eats garlic on his dry and wet food. Just a dash of it. I think some of the pet meds that are for fleas, ticks, and heartworm just are a gimmick. I love animals of all kinds. I too hate to see any animal suffer.

I remember being put off by the whole garlic idea because of media. It didnt make sense and lets face it, when it comes to our babies we take no chances. But when i apply the same mindset to my pets as i do with my own personal health then why not?

We;ve seen far more controversy over so-called "commercial" treatments and with such serious side effects. Does anyone remember the propaganda when holistic's started to take hold and people started paying attention? Even today they send out releases about the negative effectives of organics. It make you really scratch your head and say WTF?

Sachita
06-30-2010, 05:59 PM
New post on my blog about dog food

http://farmgoddess.com/?p=166

Let's talk about it and alternatives.

WolfyOne
06-30-2010, 06:25 PM
When I had my dog, I had a friend that worked for a vet and she bottled up some brewers yeast tablets for me with instructions for the weight of my dog. My dog loved the tablets and would gobble them up. Fast forward to my cats and it's not happening unless I hold their mouths shut like when giving them a pill. So, I will not subject my cats to that and wished they'd like it as well as my dog once did. Oh and putting it in their food doesn't work either. Finicky little things have us trained so damn well, lol.

ButchEire
06-30-2010, 06:43 PM
What about using brewer's yeast powder and adding just a bit in their wet food?

When I had my dog, I had a friend that worked for a vet and she bottled up some brewers yeast tablets for me with instructions for the weight of my dog. My dog loved the tablets and would gobble them up. Fast forward to my cats and it's not happening unless I hold their mouths shut like when giving them a pill. So, I will not subject my cats to that and wished they'd like it as well as my dog once did. Oh and putting it in their food doesn't work either. Finicky little things have us trained so damn well, lol.

Andrew, Jr.
06-30-2010, 06:47 PM
Tonight I am sitting on the deck, smoking a really good cigar, and all the furkids are outside with me. The next thing I know, Sophie, my elderly cat of 18+ years, decides to jump up to the hand railing. Instead of reaching the railing she missing and falls over the deck, hits her head on my neighbor's fence, and falls on the concrete patio below. O M G! I am frantic because he isn't home. And we both lock our gates. So, I pull out a shovel, put out the cigar. And I dig a hole inbetween the fences. I call her name for a good 10 - 15 minutes and finally she comes to me. And I pull her thru. No bleeding, no nothing visable on the outside. I know she is bruised. Now she is inside and eating some treats. It is tough being a Dad. I hate to see any furkid hurt or crying. Oh, this just took my breath away.

Sachita
06-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Tonight I am sitting on the deck, smoking a really good cigar, and all the furkids are outside with me. The next thing I know, Sophie, my elderly cat of 18+ years, decides to jump up to the hand railing. Instead of reaching the railing she missing and falls over the deck, hits her head on my neighbor's fence, and falls on the concrete patio below. O M G! I am frantic because he isn't home. And we both lock our gates. So, I pull out a shovel, put out the cigar. And I dig a hole inbetween the fences. I call her name for a good 10 - 15 minutes and finally she comes to me. And I pull her thru. No bleeding, no nothing visable on the outside. I know she is bruised. Now she is inside and eating some treats. It is tough being a Dad. I hate to see any furkid hurt or crying. Oh, this just took my breath away.

I'm sure she'll be ok.She's probably also scared. Just keep an eye on her. make sure she rest and doesn't jump around.

Sachita
06-30-2010, 07:23 PM
What about using brewer's yeast powder and adding just a bit in their wet food?

I would still use the vinegar and see how that goes. The vinegar is also good for digestion system and much more. Everyone has mixed feelings on garlic. I use it on my animals no problem. I even give it to my pig. Since I gave her vinegar and garlic I notice less flies on her.

Sachita
06-30-2010, 07:25 PM
FYI I'm doing long term boarding and swamped. I have a Shepard mix and retriever. They are taking Sentinel and both had ticks after a long walk. My dogs had none.

Andrew, Jr.
07-01-2010, 11:53 AM
I just watched a wonderful movie called "Hachi - A dog's Tale" with Richard Gere. It's rated G, and a sweet, calm movie. I loved it. My last dog was identical to Hachi but in color. I hope you all find this movie just as I did - wonderful.

Sachita
07-01-2010, 12:45 PM
I just watched a wonderful movie called "Hachi - A dog's Tale" with Richard Gere. It's rated G, and a sweet, calm movie. I loved it. My last dog was identical to Hachi but in color. I hope you all find this movie just as I did - wonderful.

omg I cried watching that movie

Sachita
07-03-2010, 01:52 PM
I watched another on netflix called Shiloh. really sad, cute

Sachita
07-10-2010, 07:44 AM
Here are the most recent pet food recalls:

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/pawprintpost/post/2010/07/pet-food-recalls-check-your-supplies/1

Not just foods but supplements and treats. Because dogs are my business I
constantly check recalls and write articles on natural dog health. Every time
you turn around "someone" is being recalled and the truth is that many use the same ingredient suppliers. Many of these ingredients including fish and beef are brought in from overseas and other then cargo inspection they are not tested for bacteria or mold etc.

I feed my dogs Taste of The Wild a 5 star premium food and even they had a
recall earlier this on their Salmon product. The dogs I take care of I pay a lot
for those chicken jerky treats rather then Puparoni and the processed crap they
sell as treats. One day every one has the runs and puking. It was awful. I start
checking and see that it was the chicken jerky.

That pretty much did it for me. I use to make my dogs food and treats but I got busy and so many wonderful grain free foods were coming out. But it doesnt matter because the bottom line is none of these can be consumed by humans. That alone should tell you something.

I have large dogs and take care of large dogs long term. Preparing food means having another refrigerator. If you have small dogs it's simple.

If anyone is interested in my dog food recipes and ideas let me know and I'll
post here. Otherwise i won't bore you. lol The main thing is that they get the
proper nutrients and this can easily and affordably be accomplished.

additionally my farm goddess log is below and there is a subscription area on the right that will auto update you on pet health gardening etc.

MaggieBluIze
07-10-2010, 07:49 AM
I would like to know Sachita, yes.

I have a Boston Terrier that is just so very under weight. I can't get her to eat anything, unless I put some grated cheese in it. The only way. I sure hope this isn't bad for her, but you get to the point where you will do anything, just to get them to eat. Funny thing is, she will eat around the food, literally spit the food out and end up mostly eating only the cheese. But it's something.

Look forward to the food ideas. Thanks so much.

suebee
07-10-2010, 08:05 AM
I would like to know Sachita, yes.

I have a Boston Terrier that is just so very under weight. I can't get her to eat anything, unless I put some grated cheese in it. The only way. I sure hope this isn't bad for her, but you get to the point where you will do anything, just to get them to eat. Funny thing is, she will eat around the food, literally spit the food out and end up mostly eating only the cheese. But it's something.

Look forward to the food ideas. Thanks so much.

Maggie, You didn't say if you feed her dry or wet food, but I wonder if you heated it up in the microwave just a little if she would be tempted by the smell?
Sue

Sachita
07-10-2010, 08:24 AM
Let's try a few simple recipes for a picky eater ok? I'll come back later to post more and if anyone else has some please post.

Have you tried chicken and rice? I'm not sure what else you've tried so I would be typing a long list but these are natural healthy flavors to add weight. Keep in mind that I don't agree with some of the research out there from companies that support pharmaceuticals and pet food companies.

Whenever possible buy organic. Your pet is as sensitive to chemicals as you are

1) raw organic farm fresh eggs- if you have a farm close see if you can get a dozen that are fresh and have not yet been chilled. Otherwise buy free range organic eggs and check the date for freshness. This will make her coat soft and add calories. You can separate and just give yolk IF you want.

2) peanut butter - again organic - you can warm and mix with little water or just blend with food.

3) Greek Yogurt - There are very few dogs I know that don't like yogurt. Just make sure its the cultured yogurt and that the fruit flavors if you use them are natural and sugar isnt added. Otherwise use plain.

4) Flax Seed or Hemp Oil

Start with a starch- rice oatmeal or sweet potato. Take this and add her cheese and see if she will eat just that. Next add Boil chicken or turkey. If you can afford organic buy it. Mix in raw eggs yolks a little at a time playing around with combination. Put peanut butter on food or your finger and let her lick it off. Add oil to food. Try yogurt. I give my dogs yogurt 1-2 times a week.

I have a toy poodle that hates veggies and is picky. I buy Green Viberance - a green super food filled with veggies fruits vitamins and probiotics. I make myself a shake everyday with organic whey protein and raw egg. I make a concentrated mini dose like a paste for her pull into a large syringe and pop it in her her mouth twice a day. I just started doing this a week ago and I'll be damn if her appetite isn't increasing. Sometimes proper nutrients will stimulate this.

I have a dog here i am watching for 4 months. When he came he was severely underweight. For one thing he had worms and no one knew this. When I saw him and touched him I knew he did. I didn't put him with other dogs until I could see what was going on. The food they dropped off with him was crap. People think that just because it says DOG FOOD or believe commercials that its ok. It was full of grain and carbs which only kept feeding the parasites he already had (converting to sugar). I treated him for worms using a chemical they use for horses only because he was so long without treatment otherwise I would use food grade Diatomaceous Earth.

I then switched his food to a non-grain food but I added my own brown rice, 2 raw egg yolks a day, tsp vinegar, 1 garlic clove or pill, tbsp of peanut butter and some yogurt. Additionally to help fight whatever he had I added B complex and Vitamin C.

Within two weeks there was a huge improvement and today he not only looks awesome but even his attitude has changed. His owner is overjoyed and sorry she didnt know. Two doggie day cares before me didn't spot worms in his poop. I would have fired my staff over that. We have a rule here- I hate picking up poop but whoever picks up poop is given a poop inspection lesson. If that poop looks even a little funny I'm to be called to see. I also walk around the yards looking at fresh poop after meals. Looking at your dogs poop is disgusting but very important.

Sachita
07-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Ok I'm full force on the homemade dog food plan. I've done a lot of research and calculations. I do have a toy poodle that is not digging the mix but the others seem just fine with it. So I'm probably going to do a supplement mix for her, grind up vitamins, hemp seed oil, etc make in liquid and shoot it into her mouth. It doesnt taste bad. The brewers yeast taste really good and she likes it just not on her chicken. She loves sweet potatoes BUT not mixed with her chicken.

I bought large packs of chicken thighs on sale. I'm not happy about using them but figured it was better then dog food. My next step is finding someone local to process and grind chicken with some bone. The bone is very important for calcium. I will raise the hens or my buddy will and if its free range my dogs and cats will eat it raw.

Mixed small amount of brown rice.
finely chopped raw carrots
romaine lettuce smashed in Vitamixer
added hemp seed oil
fresh hulled hemp seed (I buy in bulk keep frozen)
brewers yeast
raw egg
egg shell dried and powdered in magic bullet
garlic
apple cider vinegar
B Complex supplement
Vitamin C powder
food grade Diatomaceous Earth

It seems like a lot but I'm mixing it up, storing a few days. will go a little longer even freeze some once I get my quantities down. Some things go on when it's served.

Once I start feeding free range I'll have the processor save chicken necks and they will get one of these raw in the morning. The bones are soft when raw.

Keep in mind that I have large dogs and a few I foster. It just wasn't affordable for me to buy free range or buy pre-made dog food, however if you have a small dog or just one dog it might be something you'd consider.

I choose not to go all meat and raw. I will give them raw meat with bones but they will also get the other stuff including sometimes yogurt, homemade keffir, cottage cheese and organic fruit when I can get it here at the farm. I can sometimes buy organic applesauce cheap. Fruits are by far the worse when it comes to spraying pesticides.

rockybcn
07-16-2010, 09:48 AM
I have always had large dogs and ever since they were pups I would give them wholesome treats. The treats consisted of a whole apple, carrots, raw broccoli,etc. I didnt feed them anything with wheat ,corn or sugar. I always had the mindset that if a dog were on its own forging for food....would it go to a wheatfield, a cornfield? NO they will go for the meat and the vegetables. Add some fresh spinach to their food. You will be amazed at how much your dog will enjoy these foods...and better to serve the veggies raw rather than cooked...it loses its minerals and vitamins.
There are times your dog will eat grass. Many folks believe its only to help them purge something unsettling....but often enough its because they are lacking the greens in their diet. Bone Appetit ! (couldnt help myself)

Sachita
07-16-2010, 10:34 AM
I have always had large dogs and ever since they were pups I would give them wholesome treats. The treats consisted of a whole apple, carrots, raw broccoli,etc. I didnt feed them anything with wheat ,corn or sugar. I always had the mindset that if a dog were on its own forging for food....would it go to a wheatfield, a cornfield? NO they will go for the meat and the vegetables. Add some fresh spinach to their food. You will be amazed at how much your dog will enjoy these foods...and better to serve the veggies raw rather than cooked...it loses its minerals and vitamins.
There are times your dog will eat grass. Many folks believe its only to help them purge something unsettling....but often enough its because they are lacking the greens in their diet. Bone Appetit ! (couldnt help myself)

I don't really like grains but I am using some brown rice. Maybe 20%. I also buy bulk foods and bought a mixed bean mix and will give them beans twice a week for dinner with some rice and veggies. They will still get a small piece of raw chicken in the AM.

I wish I could do rabbit but the whole bunny thing sticks in my head. For some reason I can do chicken but not bunny or goat. I use to think after so many years living in the country I would get over this but I don't seem to.

rockybcn
07-16-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't really like grains but I am using some brown rice. Maybe 20%. I also buy bulk foods and bought a mixed bean mix and will give them beans twice a week for dinner with some rice and veggies. They will still get a small piece of raw chicken in the AM.

I wish I could do rabbit but the whole bunny thing sticks in my head. For some reason I can do chicken but not bunny or goat. I use to think after so many years living in the country I would get over this but I don't seem to.

Brown rice is fine...and if its undercooked its even better. The rice will help to keep the anal glands expressed naturally.

Sachita
08-27-2010, 11:02 AM
Brown rice is fine...and if its undercooked its even better. The rice will help to keep the anal glands expressed naturally.

I was reading that if you soak rice overnight then cook its even more healthy.
I have my dogs on an organic food now combined with veggies, yogurt, some fruit. I do also give some raw meat but was having a hard time getting good meat affordable. If I'm giving them raw from the store no telling whats in it and its not being cooked? I wont eat that shit.

Ideally I would love to get to the point of raising the meat and making the food but the truth is I'm busy and this is why I decided to buy the organic kibble and combine. The organic food has brown rice and I also sometimes cook it for them. They love it as a snack with a little hemp seed or sunflower seeds.

Sachita
08-27-2010, 11:10 AM
I got one of these

Amazon.com: HydroSurge RapidBath Dog Bathing System: Kitchen &…

only because the reviews were good and monthly I probably wash at least 15 dogs. I hate it because most of them hate it and make my life hell.

with this thing I washed 6 dogs in about 30-40 min. Quick easy and it worked. I didnt have to scrub them or anything. I love it.

rockybcn
08-27-2010, 12:53 PM
I was wondering if you knew of anyone that hunts deer. I know I couldnt kill but I knew avid hunters that went every deer season. Many times I would pay them to take it str8 to the butcher who prepared the meat. I would then get it neatly packaged and put in my freezer.To be honest...it wasnt a big expense. At the time I had three large dogs so this meat was for them and it lasted the year. They loved venison and many times a vet will recommend it in a dogs diet when they have allergies. Its just something to consider!

Sachita
08-27-2010, 01:49 PM
I have talked to people but nothing really panned out.

Sachita
09-23-2010, 05:31 PM
Today is a sad day. My old rottie was diagnosed with progressive bone cancer. It kept it at bay, slowed down, but now it won't be long. My heart is breaking. We had a wonderful life together. Now I'll spend whatever time I have with him making him comfortable and happy.

rockybcn
09-23-2010, 10:17 PM
My heart goes out to you!It never gets easy letting go. Give yourself and your "baby" a hug from me.

ravfem
09-23-2010, 10:41 PM
Sachita, i am so sorry you're facing a hard time. :candle:

i have a bullie who has a very sensitive stomach and will throw up if he eats the slightest bit of anything other than Natural Balance potato & duck. The past several days, he has been eating less and has thrown it up a time or 2 (at least he always goes to the same spot to throw up).

Any suggestions on another sensitive tummy dog food i could try now that it seems like he's developing issues with his regular food?

Sachita
09-24-2010, 07:40 AM
Sachita, i am so sorry you're facing a hard time. :candle:

i have a bullie who has a very sensitive stomach and will throw up if he eats the slightest bit of anything other than Natural Balance potato & duck. The past several days, he has been eating less and has thrown it up a time or 2 (at least he always goes to the same spot to throw up).

Any suggestions on another sensitive tummy dog food i could try now that it seems like he's developing issues with his regular food?

thank you all. yes its really hard. I trying praying it away. He is so stoic and such a good dog.

My boxer has an ultra sensitive digestive system. I can't give him anything with grain. I wanted to switch him to organic because boxers are prone to cancer and in the past year I've seen at least 4 boxers I know of that developed cancer, I have him on Taste of the Wild. It's a good non-grain food.

I also suggest you feed him small amounts at a time. If you're feeding him twice a day a small amount, then wait 20 min and feed some more. If that works see how it goes. If you can get home to eat a tablespoon of organic non-filtered apple cider vinegar in his food once a day this will take time but help.

christie
09-24-2010, 08:09 AM
Today is a sad day. My old rottie was diagnosed with progressive bone cancer. It kept it at bay, slowed down, but now it won't be long. My heart is breaking. We had a wonderful life together. Now I'll spend whatever time I have with him making him comfortable and happy.

Sending big hugs your way! If I didn't have a full day of things that can't be pushed aside, and if my symptoms and malaise would subside for 12 minutes, I would be in the car headed to your place with a care package!

I know how much you love that pup and I am glad that you have had him in your life. You've suffered so much fur-baby loss already this year of your own and boarders.

Be gentle with yourself.

PS - I never saw your bluetoofie thing on Labor Day weekend. At least you didn't bring it into the house. The yard guys were here just last week but I will check again out near the parking area. It may in tee-tiny pieces!

Sachita
09-24-2010, 02:31 PM
Sending big hugs your way! If I didn't have a full day of things that can't be pushed aside, and if my symptoms and malaise would subside for 12 minutes, I would be in the car headed to your place with a care package!

I know how much you love that pup and I am glad that you have had him in your life. You've suffered so much fur-baby loss already this year of your own and boarders.

Be gentle with yourself.

PS - I never saw your bluetoofie thing on Labor Day weekend. At least you didn't bring it into the house. The yard guys were here just last week but I will check again out near the parking area. It may in tee-tiny pieces!

I am sure its somewhere.

thanks- I'm having a really hard time with this. I'm sure I'll be ok but right now its pretty tough.

lipstixgal
09-24-2010, 04:05 PM

MY heart goes out to you my scotty who died a year and half ago had bladder cancer but bone cancer must hurt give him a big hug for me!!

Leader
09-26-2010, 01:31 PM
Sachita, so sorry to hear. Have you tried acupuncture? Years ago I had a cat (Emma) who had bone cancer in her hips, and was so painful, that if you touched the area, she would go into an epileptic spasm. I was advised to take her to a local vet that specialized in animal acupuncture and the results were amazing. It gave her an additional year of a good life and no more seizures.

It made a believer out of me about acupuncture.

Best wishes with your Rottie...