PDA

View Full Version : Le Tour de France

DapperButch
07-11-2010, 09:26 PM
Who is watching?

Who is disappointed that Lance has run into such bad luck this tour with several crashes during quite strategic moments, that he is no longer a contender?

Knowing this is his last tour (well, yeah, I know he has said this before, but I think he really means it this time!), it is just sad.

He has always been a bit of a cocky as*, but you have to respect his talent... many say he is the best that has ever been.

Sucks.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-tour-de-france-20100712,0,3180126.story

Diva
07-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Bein' a hometown boy, it made me sad to see him fall.

I don't know if he really means it when he says this is his last.....but we'll see, I guess.

DapperButch
07-11-2010, 09:37 PM
Bein' a hometown boy, it made me sad to see him fall.

I don't know if he really means it when he says this is his last.....but we'll see, I guess.

That's right! He is a hometown boy for many of you on this site!

My condolences. :vigil:

He is old for biking though, Diva...and add another year... it really would be tough for him to come back and be a real contender. :(

Diva
07-11-2010, 09:44 PM
That's right! He is a hometown boy for many of you on this site!

My condolences. :vigil:

He is old for biking though, Diva...and add another year... it really would be tough for him to come back and be a real contender. :(

Yeah.....he's still a hero here, no matter what. It was very difficult to see him crash....over and over....

But I tell Ya....if anyone could do it, Lance could. :)

DapperButch
07-11-2010, 09:47 PM
Yeah.....he's still a hero here, no matter what. It was very difficult to see him crash....over and over....

But I tell Ya....if anyone could do it, Lance could. :)

You are right about that one! :D

Gemme
07-11-2010, 09:47 PM
My housemate follows him as she is prepping for a triathalon in August (and follows all things biking, running, and swimming). She told me about his crashes and I felt so bad for him. I've always found him likeable despite the cockiness.

SnackTime
07-12-2010, 05:25 AM
Who is watching?

Who is disappointed that Lance has run into such bad luck this tour with several crashes during quite strategic moments, that he is no longer a contender?

Knowing this is his last tour (well, yeah, I know he has said this before, but I think he really means it this time!), it is just sad.

He has always been a bit of a cocky as*, but you have to respect his talent... many say he is the best that has ever been.

Sucks.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-tour-de-france-20100712,0,3180126.story

I have been watching the tour and yes I am disappointed that Lance is no longer a contender. I cannot believe all the bad luck he had in the stage yesterday. You can bet that he will be riding for Levi since he was able to ride up into the top 10 yesterday.

I personally have not found him to be a bit cocky.

I believe he will retire (hate to see it) like he stated BEFORE this season. However, I believe he will still play be a vital part of the team in one way or another.

shadows papa
07-12-2010, 06:34 AM
This house is Tour de France and bike racing central during the season as both me and my bro Snack are terminal cycling crackheads.It was hard to watch Lance go down yesterday,but no matter what his role is on the team after today's rest day I know he will do it to the best of his still considerable ability. The word was that the team will take today's rest day to decide if a shift is in order since Levi Leipheimer,Andreas Kloden,and Chris Horner all have a shot at the podium,with Levi being the highest placed RadioShack rider at this time. My prediction is that Lance will give it a go in the first stage back tomorrow and if he isn't strong enough to pull back up in the standings after that mountain stage,Levi will become the primary rider and Lance and the rest of the team will turn themselves inside out to see him wearing yellow into Paris. Both Lance and the director sportif, Johan Bruyneel,are brilliant strategists. As far as Lance being cocky, you have to have a certain amount of swagger to be as driven to excel as he is. I find him to be very direct and dedicated to his foundation. He promised his children that this was his last year away from them,so I don't see him returning as a rider next year.He is the owner of the domestic Trek Livestrong U23 Team so hopefully that will help to grow the sport in the USA. He has stated that he will do rides,both mountain and road,triathlons and running events in support of the Lance Armstrong Foundation.I also think that if you asked Lance or any other professional cyclist who the greatest rider of all time is,the consensus would be Eddy Mercxx "The Cannibal" and 5 time winner of the Tour. Just my .50 as bikes and all things cycling are one of my main passions!! Shad

Daktari
07-12-2010, 07:22 AM
Another Tour nut here. Lance really should have stayed away, he's too old and he's not going to get a podium finish, I think he should have just left us all with the memory of a fantastic 7 tour wins. I personally don't want to see him be a shadow of his former riding self. What news of the Floyd Landis allegations?

I'm rooting for the new Sky team with the fantastic Bradley Wiggins at the helm. Of course I'm keeping an eye on Mark Cavendish too, who hopefully will continue to take stage wins.

Merckx was the rider of legend in my childhood, along with Hinault who is not that far behind Merckx in number of stage wins over a career. I also loved watching Big Mig in the early 90's as he rode into that rather rarified group of 5 times winners of the Tour.

I'm so glad that y'all are interested in the Tour.

DapperButch
07-13-2010, 05:46 AM
Yes, my guess is that Levi will become the primary rider for RadioShack. Today will be interesting for sure!

And yes, in terms of Eddie Merckx historically having been heralded as the best. The last couple of years I have heard/read the same said of Lance...that is all I was saying.

Daktari
07-13-2010, 02:33 PM
To be fair Lance has won 7 Tours, Merckx only 5...although his 5 Giro's and 1 Vuelta as well as wins in the Classic day races probably do put him ahead of Lance. Although one has to herald the achievement of Mr.Armstrong, 7 Tour wins is monumentally awesome. He's in a class of one.

Poor Bradley is struggling a little bit right now and not looking like beating or even equaling his last years position of fourth.

DapperButch
01-27-2011, 01:33 AM
http://www.fanhouse.com/2011/01/26/report-alberto-contador-stripped-of-2010-tour-de-france-title/?icid=main%7Chtmlws-main-n%7Cdl12%7Csec3_lnk2%7C197548

Daktari
01-27-2011, 05:11 AM
Oh Alberto, you twit!!

SnackTime
01-27-2011, 10:02 AM
I heard the news about the ban yesterday on ESPN. I am not a fan of Contador, especially since the 2009 Tour. Contador proved that he was not a team player.

I believe he should be banned for two years.

DapperButch
01-27-2011, 01:06 PM
I heard the news about the ban yesterday on ESPN. I am not a fan of Contador, especially since the 2009 Tour. Contador proved that he was not a team player.

I believe he should be banned for two years.

Agreed, on both points.

I am quite pleased with this turn of events.

Daktari
01-27-2011, 01:14 PM
I believe it calls his other victories into question. I'm rather hard-line about drug cheats in any sport and believe that they should receive life-time bans from competition.

SnackTime
01-27-2011, 08:59 PM
I believe it calls his other victories into question. I'm rather hard-line about drug cheats in any sport and believe that they should receive life-time bans from competition.

I TOTALLY agree with you!

I cannot believe that Contador is blaming this on a bad steak!

DapperButch
07-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Who's watching this year????

Daktari
07-07-2011, 04:03 AM
Me!

Wooohoooo Cav won the sprint finish yesterday.

DapperButch
07-07-2011, 05:34 AM
Me!

Wooohoooo Cav won the sprint finish yesterday.

Yes, I read this morning that this moves him into the top 10 on the all time list of stage wins.

SnackTime
07-07-2011, 06:34 AM
I am watching it too!

I am a bit bummed because Jani from Team RadioShack is out of the tour. There have been so many wrecks.

Daktari
07-07-2011, 10:30 AM
Yes, I read this morning that this moves him into the top 10 on the all time list of stage wins.

Which considering he's only been riding Le Tour since 2007 is no mean feat. He's a rocket, with talents that were honed on the track. I'm a huge Wiggins fan too who has dropped many kilos this year and is looking lean and mean and although keeping a relatively lowish profile race wise is still up there in the top 10. There are several Brits in the top 10 with David Millar being the top placed thus far. I can guarantee that they won't all be there on the Champs Elysee. Or, if they are I will eat my cycling hat.

Did you see yesterday's crash laden stage? It was horrible. Poor Tom Boonen looked to have broken his collar bone. Thankfully he hadn't and managed to make it to the finish within the allotted time.

I was pleased to hear the the commissaires stripped Rojas and Boonen of their intermediate sprint points yesterday for riding into Cav's racing line. At least they showed some consistency after disqualifying Cav the day before from the intermediate sprint for allegedly blocking.

I can't wait until we get into the mountains. The Pyrenees and Alpine stages are always great to watch. I wonder if Contador will show his intentions during the climbs.

I wonder what's going to happen with Contador. To be honest I don't think he should be riding with an unresolved doping case hanging over his head. What if he wins this Tour and the appeal to the Court of Arbitration for sport upholds the doping allegations in August? I don't think Millar and a number of others who've be caught doping should be allowed to ride in the sports most prestigious race either - or the Vuelta/Giro/Paris-Roubaix et al.

DapperButch
07-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Which considering he's only been riding Le Tour since 2007 is no mean feat.

Absolutely!

He's a rocket, with talents that were honed on the track. I'm a huge Wiggins fan too who has dropped many kilos this year and is looking lean and mean and although keeping a relatively lowish profile race wise is still up there in the top 10. There are several Brits in the top 10 with David Millar being the top placed thus far.

I can guarantee that they won't all be there on the Champs Elysee. Or, if they are I will eat my cycling hat.

:D

Did you see yesterday's crash laden stage? It was horrible. Poor Tom Boonen looked to have broken his collar bone. Thankfully he hadn't and managed to make it to the finish within the allotted time.

Yes! It was tough to watch.

I was pleased to hear the the commissaires stripped Rojas and Boonen of their intermediate sprint points yesterday for riding into Cav's racing line. At least they showed some consistency after disqualifying Cav the day before from the intermediate sprint for allegedly blocking.

I agree with you.

I can't wait until we get into the mountains. The Pyrenees and Alpine stages are always great to watch. I wonder if Contador will show his intentions during the climbs.

I wonder what's going to happen with Contador. To be honest I don't think he should be riding with an unresolved doping case hanging over his head.

I freakin' hate Contador.

What if he wins this Tour and the appeal to the Court of Arbitration for sport upholds the doping allegations in August? I don't think Millar and a number of others who've be caught doping should be allowed to ride in the sports most prestigious race either - or the Vuelta/Giro/Paris-Roubaix et al.

----------------------

DapperButch
07-07-2011, 08:53 PM
So bummed Levi fell and dropped to 31st.

Daktari
07-08-2011, 01:19 PM
Cav did it again today and on the stage where he won his first stage win ever...the Missile is a truly awesome sprinter and is young so could be around for some years yet. There's a bit of Mario Cipollini about him - well apart from Super Mario's leopard print shorts :cheesy:

Sadly poor Bradley Wiggins crashed and broke his collar bone today so he's out of the race. He really stood a chance of topping the GC on the Champs Elysee this year. I'm sure he'll be back and even stronger next year.

DapperButch
07-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Cav did it again today and on the stage where he won his first stage win ever...the Missile is a truly awesome sprinter and is young so could be around for some years yet. There's a bit of Mario Cipollini about him - well apart from Super Mario's leopard print shorts :cheesy:

Sadly poor Bradley Wiggins crashed and broke his collar bone today so he's out of the race. He really stood a chance of topping the GC on the Champs Elysee this year. I'm sure he'll be back and even stronger next year.

Ok...now to reply. I made the mistake of reading the first line of your post PRIOR to watching today's stage (I watch the repeat each evening). I won't make the mistake again of reading this thread prior to watching! ha!

Anyway, I can't believe poor Chris Horner.

Sorry about Wiggins, I know you were pulling for him!

And good for Cavendish! His team is a well oiled machine.

I hope things kick in for Andy Schleck when they hit the mountains.

TickledPink
07-08-2011, 09:14 PM
Le Tour de France in le Chateau!

Daktari
07-09-2011, 09:01 AM
Ok...now to reply. I made the mistake of reading the first line of your post PRIOR to watching today's stage (I watch the repeat each evening). I won't make the mistake again of reading this thread prior to watching! ha!

Anyway, I can't believe poor Chris Horner.

Sorry about Wiggins, I know you were pulling for him!

And good for Cavendish! His team is a well oiled machine.

I hope things kick in for Andy Schleck when they hit the mountains.

Oooops! :o I never thought about that I might be posting 'spoilers' for the race. What time do you get to see the stage? I have it on live here and it's 4pm BST (GMT +1...coverage finishes at 4.30). I'll probably watch highlights tonight too as I've actually missed most of the live coverage today. I also emailed the show last night to ask their opinions on Contador riding when it's entirely possible he could be banned in August. I hope they answer on the highlights show.

DapperButch
07-09-2011, 09:09 AM
Costa! I am happy for him!

DapperButch
07-09-2011, 09:11 AM
Oooops! :o I never thought about that I might be posting 'spoilers' for the race. What time do you get to see the stage? I have it on live here and it's 4pm BST (GMT +1...coverage finishes at 4.30). I'll probably watch highlights tonight too as I've actually missed most of the live coverage today. I also emailed the show last night to ask their opinions on Contador riding when it's entirely possible he could be banned in August. I hope they answer on the highlights show.

Hey, no problem AT ALL. Please don't even consider it...write when you wanna. I will just stay away from thread until I see the race. I watch the repeat at 8pm EST after work. Except on Saturday/Sunday of course! Must set the alarm so I can watch it live!

Daktari
07-09-2011, 09:36 AM
Hey, no problem AT ALL. Please don't even consider it...write when you wanna. I will just stay away from thread until I see the race. I watch the repeat at 8pm EST after work. Except on Saturday/Sunday of course! Must set the alarm so I can watch it live!

Enjoy the weekend live broadcasts. Who does the commentary over there or do you get the same coverage we do with Paul Sherwin, Phil Ligget and Chris Boardman?

It's been an uphill stage today which has stretched the peleton out a bit. The highlights will be good. I look forward to seeing them in a couple of hours.

DapperButch
07-09-2011, 12:30 PM
Enjoy the weekend live broadcasts. Who does the commentary over there or do you get the same coverage we do with Paul Sherwin, Phil Ligget and Chris Boardman?

It's been an uphill stage today which has stretched the peleton out a bit. The highlights will be good. I look forward to seeing them in a couple of hours.

Yes, Paul, et al. I think that Phil is an excellent commentator.

Daktari
07-09-2011, 02:20 PM
Yes, Paul, et al. I think that Phil is an excellent commentator.

I like the team too...they've been doing it for donkey's years. The same team has moved channels several times too over the years. Phil is ace, very knowledgeable, as are they all really.

I missed the hightlights tonight because I'm at a friends place but I'll catch the repeat tomorrow afternoon before the live coverage starts.

Daktari
07-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Oh dear. Yet more riders leave the Tour injured in crashes. Poor Vinokourov, they're talking about career ending injury. I hope for him that it's not.

There's already been one of the tour motorcyclists in trouble now there's a car driver. I was staring in disbelief as the driver clipped the rider closest to him. I suspect that driver will lose his job.

I'm pleased to see that Thor has had to cede the maillot jaune to Voeckler who rode really well, it was a shame that he ended up taking second place for the stage.

jelli
07-12-2011, 07:25 PM
*watching from sc*

Daktari
07-12-2011, 08:15 PM
I missed today's stage because......I was out riding.

I should get to see some of the repeated highlights show tomorrow lunch-time.

DapperButch
07-19-2011, 08:59 PM
Man, I'm BUMMED about Andy Schleck in today's stage....:(

Time to start rooting for Cadel Evans, I think...

Anyone but Contador...PLEASE! :overreaction:

Daktari
07-20-2011, 04:47 AM
Man, I'm BUMMED about Andy Schleck in today's stage....:(

Time to start rooting for Cadel Evans, I think...

Anyone but Contador...PLEASE! :overreaction:

Cadel is my second pick for a top finish since Brad broke his collarbone.

Sadly I've missed a handful of stages now that I'm at the Burrow and am rehearsing most of the day everyday. By the time I get back to the Burrow (after rehearsals) I just want to chill out with Madame Cholet and not watch any sort of tv.

DapperButch
07-20-2011, 05:08 AM
Cadel is my second pick for a top finish since Brad broke his collarbone.

Sadly I've missed a handful of stages now that I'm at the Burrow and am rehearsing most of the day everyday. By the time I get back to the Burrow (after rehearsals) I just want to chill out with Madame Cholet and not watch any sort of tv.

Cadel has a good team that can get him there, so perhaps we will see him at the finish!

Hope the rehearsing, etc., is going well.

SnackTime
07-20-2011, 05:53 AM
I am not sure who I am actually rooting for right now. I like Cadel and Thor. I am for anyone other than Contador

DapperButch
07-21-2011, 05:25 AM
GREAT stage yesterday. Perhaps Andy will pull through?

We should really see a lot of attacking on today's stage. I am really looking forward to it.

DapperButch
07-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Now THAT was a stage!

I admit to tears in my eyes when I saw Voeckler's pained yet grateful face, crossing that line and holding onto yellow. He also

I am BEYOND thrilled for Andy. "No guts, no glory".

I really respect how hard Cadel pushed himself.

And Contador? Eh...just can't say I am feeling all that bad for him.

DapperButch
07-22-2011, 08:47 PM
More fantastic racing today!

Where the hell is Incubus? I am talking to myself here! :hammer:

Can't wait until tomorrow morning!

Daktari
07-23-2011, 04:40 AM
Hey there Dapper, I'm here. I really need to catch up with this weeks stages. Our gig is tomorrow so come Monday I'll be doing a big catch up.

Looks like the Schlecks have it sewn up though, unless Cadel puts in a supreme effort today and tomorrow and makes up the 57" he's behind but it's a bit of a tall order considering how in form both the Schlecks are.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Cav le Whingièr (he's young and should learn to keep his gob shut!) keeping hold of the green jersey comp. Thankfully Rojas was in the same group as Cav that came in over time yesterday.

DapperButch
07-23-2011, 06:45 AM
Hey there Dapper, I'm here. I really need to catch up with this weeks stages. Our gig is tomorrow so come Monday I'll be doing a big catch up.

Looks like the Schlecks have it sewn up though, unless Cadel puts in a supreme effort today and tomorrow and makes up the 57" he's behind but it's a bit of a tall order considering how in form both the Schlecks are.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Cav le Whingièr (he's young and should learn to keep his gob shut!) keeping hold of the green jersey comp. Thankfully Rojas was in the same group as Cav that came in over time yesterday.

Hey, Incubus!

I was seriously just teasing you. You have just been the only one who has really had an interest in engaging about the details of the race, so that is why I was busting on you!

Watching right now. Catador made me a bit nervous yesterday even though I knew it would be very, very hard for him to make up the time.

From moment one I have been rooting for Andy, but Cadel has always been there in the back of my mind. He is a good rider, has never had a great team to support him (until this year..they are much better), and has such a history of choking that he kind of feels like an underdog to me. Being a great time trialest and being only 57 seconds behind Andy, there is a small chance he could make up the time. Andy though, has done better with his time trials the last couple of years, though.

I Big BIG good luck with your gig tomorrow!

Ok, commercial break over!

DapperButch
07-23-2011, 09:40 AM
I have to admit to being a bit shocked, and a bit numb. And a bit bummed.

I never figured Andy would lose like that. :confused:

I suppose the last two days of hard riding was just too much for him.

Congrats to Cadel. He did work hard for it. It was nice to see the first Australian in history to win the Tour.

DapperButch
07-24-2011, 10:14 AM
I loved seeing the Schleck brothers ride with their arms around Cadel.

Seeing Andy grab a photographer's camera to fool around with it, indicates to me that he is really at peace with all of it.

Congrats to all Australians! First win ever in the the history of the tour (108 years!)!

:wine:

See this thread next year! :hangloose:

Daktari
07-25-2011, 05:36 AM
Hey hey Dapper, I knew you were teasing and I wish I'd taken a leaf out of your book and not looked at this thread until I'd caught up with the final stages.

Anyhoo...it's now Monday, the gig has been and gone (ta ever so much for the luck) and thankfully was a success. I've slept deliciously late and am now installed on the sofa with a vat of tea to catch up on the last stages despite knowing who's won.

WooHooo for Cadel, I was really surprised when I read that Cadel had made up the time on Andy. I'm looking forward to watching the TT action unfold.

Go Cav!!! Le Maillot Vert is a fantastic achievement.

Now we have to wait a week or so for Contador's hearing at the Court of Arbitration. I'm so glad he didn't get a podium finish or jersey win.

DapperButch
06-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Le Tour de France 2012

Here you go folks. The thread is set to discuss the 99th tour. It begins next Saturday (June 30) and ends Sunday, July 22.

Below is info. on the route from the main site.

http://www.letour.fr/2012/TDF/COURSE/us/le_parcours.html

So, who will be watching this year?

tantalizingfemme
06-23-2012, 10:07 AM
oh boy.... a Tour widow again....

SnackTime
06-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Can I ALWAYS count me in!

tantalizing, I am sure Jo will be saying the same thing...lol

Daktari
06-23-2012, 10:26 AM
I'll be watching of course. It's the highlight of my sporting year :cheesy: Although we have the 'Lympics here this year so that's a bit of a highlight too.

DapperButch
06-23-2012, 11:38 AM
oh boy.... a Tour widow again....

hee hee :cheesy:

Can I ALWAYS count me in!

tantalizing, I am sure Jo will be saying the same thing...lol

Poor Jo has no idea what is coming. :seeingstars: ha ha

Tell her it is only 4 hours every morning or 3 hours each evening, depending upon when you watch. That is not TOO much time, is it? :)

I'll be watching of course. It's the highlight of my sporting year :cheesy: Although we have the 'Lympics here this year so that's a bit of a highlight too.

I figured I could count on you and Snack to join me!

SF_Boi
07-08-2012, 10:14 PM
It was great to the French win this stage. It's been awhile since they've had a win like this. Viva France!

Daktari
07-09-2012, 04:25 AM
Sod the French winning a stage ;) What about Wiggins in the maillot jeune. Wooohoooo Bradders!

Brilliant racing between Brad and Cadel yesterday...and the previous day.

Go Team Sky!

JustJo
07-09-2012, 09:14 AM
hee hee :cheesy:

Poor Jo has no idea what is coming. :seeingstars: ha ha

Tell her it is only 4 hours every morning or 3 hours each evening, depending upon when you watch. That is not TOO much time, is it? :)

I figured I could count on you and Snack to join me!

Oddly....I'm loving this (totally unexpected). :cheesy:

I'm as glued to the tv as Snack is!

Daktari
07-09-2012, 02:00 PM
Dying to see the highlights of today's TT on interwebz catch-up when settle down in bed tonight.
:bicycle: (shame we don't have a positive image of a cyclist smiley)

Daktari
07-10-2012, 06:58 AM
Oh My Giddy Aunt!!

The first ever Brit one, two in tour history.

What an awesome ride by Wiggo and Frome in the TT. To be fair Evans rode brilliantly too, just not quite well enough.

GO TEAM SKY!

DapperButch
07-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Oddly....I'm loving this (totally unexpected). :cheesy:

I'm as glued to the tv as Snack is!

It's quite addictive, isn't it? It is exciting to turn it on each day. I look forward to it all day.

Dying to see the highlights of today's TT on interwebz catch-up when settle down in bed tonight.
:bicycle: (shame we don't have a positive image of a cyclist smiley)

Hey there! I haven't been around on this thread because I think of it when I get home from work, prior to watching the primetime version. I often don't turn on the TV until 10 minutes after the show has started. That way, I don't know who won the stage that day and can be surprised. Subsequently, I stay away from the thread, just in case someone has talked about a stage! I always mean to check the thread in the morning, but always forget.

Oh My Giddy Aunt!!

The first ever Brit one, two in tour history.

What an awesome ride by Wiggo and Frome in the TT. To be fair Evans rode brilliantly too, just not quite well enough.

GO TEAM SKY!

I knew you would be excited about Brad this year, Incubus! Congrats to your country!

SnackTime
07-12-2012, 04:37 PM
I was impressed with Jens Voigt yesterday, he did a hell of a job riding across the gap.

Not bad for being the oldest rider in the tour!

DapperButch
07-12-2012, 04:46 PM
I was impressed with Jens Voigt yesterday, he did a hell of a job riding across the gap.

Not bad for being the oldest rider in the tour!

I agree! He takes risks many riders don't. 40 is certainly not young for the Tour!

SnackTime
07-12-2012, 04:49 PM
I agree! He takes risks many riders don't. 40 is certainly not young for the Tour!

Exactly! In fact, he will be 41 in September.

RadioShack/Nissan has been impressive thus far considering Andy Schleck is not racing!!

DapperButch
07-12-2012, 09:05 PM
...what a Stage today! It is a shame about Cadel.

Exactly! In fact, he will be 41 in September.

RadioShack/Nissan has been impressive thus far considering Andy Schleck is not racing!!

Yes, I hope that RadioShack/Nissan will make it to the prodium as a team.

If Andy were around, he is who I would be supporting.

mplsgrrl
07-12-2012, 09:54 PM
I always look forward to the Tour! I hate to admit I'm not as knowledgeable as I'd like to be about it. I'll blame that on a short attention span. Someone had mentioned in a previous post about waiting until 10 minutes into prime time coverage to avoid stage results until their own viewing. I do the same! Though I'm kind of sad each day to not have been able to watch it LIVE.

I will say also that I miss Versus' coverage. I liked to watch for the word of the day or whatever they called the contest and also the trivia. I'm not one for contests, but I found that fun. *dork* I thought they had better video summaries of the stages - though don't count on my memory for that one. I catch up on bicycling.com. But they usually have just interviews and not much race video.

Anyway - I don't participate much in forums. I just wanted to let y'all know there's another Tour fan out there! :)

amiyesiam
07-12-2012, 10:49 PM
I would like to share: Spinners (as in spindles/spinning wheels) around the world hold the Tour De Fleece during the Tour De France!

DapperButch
07-13-2012, 05:36 AM
I always look forward to the Tour! I hate to admit I'm not as knowledgeable as I'd like to be about it. I'll blame that on a short attention span. Someone had mentioned in a previous post about waiting until 10 minutes into prime time coverage to avoid stage results until their own viewing. I do the same! Though I'm kind of sad each day to not have been able to watch it LIVE.

I will say also that I miss Versus' coverage. I liked to watch for the word of the day or whatever they called the contest and also the trivia. I'm not one for contests, but I found that fun. *dork* I thought they had better video summaries of the stages - though don't count on my memory for that one. I catch up on bicycling.com. But they usually have just interviews and not much race video.

Anyway - I don't participate much in forums. I just wanted to let y'all know there's another Tour fan out there! :)

Wecome to the thread!

I agree with you about the change (re: Versus). I noticed that the coverage seemed less cohesive...something just seems "sloppy" or doesn't transition well, and also the lack of contests, but didn't put it together.

(oh, and I am the person who delays turning on the TV set!)

Daktari
07-13-2012, 08:51 AM
Aye shame about Cadel but waaaayheeeey for Wiggo! Aren't Team Sky riding well. It's a joy to watch them work so hard to keep Brad in the maillot jeune. Very reminiscent, I must say, of Armstrong and his team

I'm lucky in that if I so choose to stay in for the afternoon I can watch live tour coverage, as I am doing today (it's rainy and I had a smashing big geared ride last night). I won't watch the conclusion though and will catch that later tonight when I settle down in bed and watch the highlights..........ooops! Just made a liar of myself and have seen who has taken today's stage. I won't post any spoilers for y'all though :cheesy:

ETA: Oh aye...forgot...welcome to Jo and mpslgrrl :chaplin:

JustJo
07-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Anyone else impressed with Chris Froome (hope I'm spelling that right) yesterday? I thought he had worn himself out, but clearly not. I like the team players who do all they can for their teammates.....but part of me would have liked to see what he could have done if he hadn't gone back for Wiggins near the end!

DapperButch
07-14-2012, 08:03 AM
First off, I was very glad to see David Millar win the stage. Garmin has had a rough road of it and David hasn't wone a stage in years (10?). I am also glad just because he has always been a rider I have favored.

Aye shame about Cadel but waaaayheeeey for Wiggo! Aren't Team Sky riding well. It's a joy to watch them work so hard to keep Brad in the maillot jeune. Very reminiscent, I must say, of Armstrong and his team

I'm lucky in that if I so choose to stay in for the afternoon I can watch live tour coverage, as I am doing today (it's rainy and I had a smashing big geared ride last night). I won't watch the conclusion though and will catch that later tonight when I settle down in bed and watch the highlights..........ooops! Just made a liar of myself and have seen who has taken today's stage. I won't post any spoilers for y'all though :cheesy:

ETA: Oh aye...forgot...welcome to Jo and mpslgrrl :chaplin:

I know you love your Wiggo, Incubus, but I have just never taken to him for some reason (prior to this Tour).

What do you think about the talk of him having these moments of disrespect toward other riders and also his refusal to speak in French to the French press?

I know what you are saying that it reminds you of the Tours with Lance. I thought the same thing. (of course, the feeling attached to that thought was sadness that Lance is no longer riding).

Anyone else impressed with Chris Froome (hope I'm spelling that right) yesterday? I thought he had worn himself out, but clearly not. I like the team players who do all they can for their teammates.....but part of me would have liked to see what he could have done if he hadn't gone back for Wiggins near the end!

I know what you are saying about wanting to see what Froome can do. Especially when I first starting watching the Tour I would have the same thoughts when I saw riders who appeared stronger than their leader. Froome will have his day, though. Some team, or Sky will at some point pick him up to take on that role.

No doubt, we will see the same happen to Tejay. He is young so I am hopeful that he might be our new Lance! (ok, one can dream, right?) He does well on both the flats and the mountains, so he really may be a Tour contender some day.

Ok, I will stop rambling...stage 13 is on!

Daktari
07-14-2012, 05:25 PM
First off, I was very glad to see David Millar win the stage. Garmin has had a rough road of it and David hasn't wone a stage in years (10?). I am also glad just because he has always been a rider I have favored.

I was pleased to see Millar win a stage; it's been quite some time since he did. Infact I think he was still doping when he last did. What I like about him is that he is now an anti-drug activist after coming back from his drug ban. However I have a little problem with the Brit Olympic folks making an exception for him (and Dwayne Chambers I think) in their policy of proven drug cheats never being allowed to compete for Team GB in any Olympics.

I know you love your Wiggo, Incubus, but I have just never taken to him for some reason (prior to this Tour).

What do you think about the talk of him having these moments of disrespect toward other riders and also his refusal to speak in French to the French press?

Bradley comes across as a really nice chap when in conversation and has been a fabulous ambassador for the sport here. As regard to his refusal to speak French - I remember when Lance Armstrong did the same despite being able to speak French - but I think it's no big deal really, except to those who think 'tradition' means never changing anything..anyhoo, not so sure the peleton all speak Italian for the Giro or Castillian for the Vuelta.

As regards 'disrespect'; egos clash, petty squabbles break out, personalities get in the way...such is life when you spend 24/7 with the same people for weeks on end :cheesy:

I know what you are saying that it reminds you of the Tours with Lance. I thought the same thing. (of course, the feeling attached to that thought was sadness that Lance is no longer riding).

I understand you lot miss Lance, he was talented but didn't ride in or win any of the other major races sadly, so isn't in my personal top 5 riders. I miss Big Mig. Wiggo has the potential one of the great riders but we shall see if he can handle the potential and deliver.

I know what you are saying about wanting to see what Froome can do. Especially when I first starting watching the Tour I would have the same thoughts when I saw riders who appeared stronger than their leader. Froome will have his day, though. Some team, or Sky will at some point pick him up to take on that role.

No doubt, we will see the same happen to Tejay. He is young so I am hopeful that he might be our new Lance! (ok, one can dream, right?) He does well on both the flats and the mountains, so he really may be a Tour contender some day.

Ok, I will stop rambling...stage 13 is on!

Froome, van Garderen and Sagan are all young guys to watch in the years to come. I can't wait to see their stories unfold.

Time for me to settle down to today's stage which I haven't heard even a glimmer about so it'll all be a surprise. It's a cracking tour this year. I'm glad y'all are enjoying it too. cheesy:

SnackTime
07-14-2012, 06:24 PM
...what a Stage today! It is a shame about Cadel.

Yes, I hope that RadioShack/Nissan will make it to the prodium as a team.

If Andy were around, he is who I would be supporting.

I believe Andy would be in contention if he was riding in this tour. I would support him because he rides for one of my favorite teams.

mplsgrrl
07-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Okay... so I know The Tour showcases cycling as mostly a team sport. I appreciate that aspect and the skills and strategy involved. I find myself waiting for someone (Froome, etc) to really bust it out on their own. They all have their jobs to do in the team - to protect and bring forward their captain. As we've seen, the others may actually be stronger than their captains. Eh... it would just be fun to watch.

Also... I imagine many of you have wondered over the years about female professional cyclists participating and/or having an equivalent tour. Alas, we know how that goes...

JustJo
07-15-2012, 01:29 PM
Okay... so I know The Tour showcases cycling as mostly a team sport. I appreciate that aspect and the skills and strategy involved. I find myself waiting for someone (Froome, etc) to really bust it out on their own. They all have their jobs to do in the team - to protect and bring forward their captain. As we've seen, the others may actually be stronger than their captains. Eh... it would just be fun to watch.

Also... I imagine many of you have wondered over the years about female professional cyclists participating and/or having an equivalent tour. Alas, we know how that goes...

I just found this (http://theactivetimes.com/six-women-aim-crash-tour-de-france#pagebreak) interesting article, about the 6 women cyclists that are currently riding the entire Tour course, ahead of the men. They are working cooperatively rather than racing...which naturally changes things. However, it shows that women can ride this course...and I love that they're doing it.

The goal is to raise awareness about women's cycling...and the need for sponsorship equivalent to the men's in order to help young cyclists develop and grow.

DapperButch
07-16-2012, 04:39 AM

http://reve.cc/blog/archives/351

Another article. I saw advertised during the tour the site through Cannondale, but didn't find it when I went on the site and don't have time this morning to search.

mplsgrrl
07-16-2012, 08:03 PM
for more info on the Reve Women's team. Thanks much to Dapper and JustJo for links to those articles. While watching The Tour a couple days ago, I saw a commercial for the team of 6 women. I enjoyed Heidi Swift's interview in the article JustJo posted. She seems so down-to-earth and makes me really excited for their adventure and what a real possibility women's cycling could hold in the future. Kudos to them!

I haven't had a lot of time on the internet today, so I haven't been able to talk about the Reve Women's team blogs that have been mentioned...

48 cycle tire punctures yesterday! Plus 3 of the 5 media motorcycles and some portion of police motorcycles. Terrible.

I've got the prime time version of today's stage on right now. ;-)

I hope y'all are having fun today!

Daktari
07-22-2012, 05:49 PM
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/road/article/roa20120722-road-Bradley-Wiggins-makes-history-as-first-British-Tour-de-France-winner-0

Well Lordy! The boys did it :cheesy:

Team Sky were disciplined and rode so damned well. Every man played the part he'd been given and the executed the job perfectly.

I can only applaud their collective achievement. Bradley has already spoken of riding in a team supporting Froome. Watch this space. There's more to come from this bunch.

Loads of guys rode well. It's been a cracking Tour all round.

SF_Boi
08-13-2012, 07:01 PM
I full filled one of my "bucket list's" by being physically present for the last stage of the tour. It was everything I dreamed it would be. It was great to be around so many cycling enthusiasts, the energy, the floats, the different teams, it was great. I'm thinking of returning in two years and catching the last four stages.

DapperButch
08-13-2012, 07:57 PM
I full filled one of my "bucket list's" by being physically present for the last stage of the tour. It was everything I dreamed it would be. It was great to be around so many cycling enthusiasts, the energy, the floats, the different teams, it was great. I'm thinking of returning in two years and catching the last four stages.

Holy crap, no way! I am so glad you got to experience that. That is on my bucket list, as well!

Daktari
08-16-2012, 06:20 PM

Holy crap, no way! I am so glad you got to experience that. That is on my bucket list, as well!

Ditto.

You're so very lucky SF_Boi, I'm glad it was all you hoped is would be.

Did everyone lose interest the Tour?

Go the Team GB cyclists this year huh? ...I think they did quite well in the Olympics :cheesy:

Who's going to be following the rather imminent Vuelta?

DapperButch
08-24-2012, 05:45 AM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2012-08-23/lance-armstrong-ending-fight-vs-anti-doping-agency-could-lose-tour-de-france-tit?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk1%26pLid%3D196452

I don't even know what to think. I know one thing, it makes me sad. If it is true, it makes me sad. If it is not true and he lost his titles for no reason, it makes me sad.

Nothing good here....

*Anya*
08-24-2012, 05:50 AM
http://aol.sportingnews.com/sport/story/2012-08-23/lance-armstrong-ending-fight-vs-anti-doping-agency-could-lose-tour-de-france-tit?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk1%26pLid%3D196452

I don't even know what to think. I know one thing, it makes me sad. If it is true, it makes me sad. If it is not true and he lost his titles for no reason, it makes me sad.

Nothing good here....

I don't understand this. If he passed all of his drug tests, how can they do this?

I must read more about it as it makes no sense.

Heartbreaking, truly.

Live Strong Lance.

Daktari
09-14-2012, 06:41 AM
Anyone watch the Vuelta? Currently watching the Tour of Britain?

Daktari
10-24-2012, 05:33 AM
The route for the 2013 Centenary tour has been revealed. It's going to be brutal.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/oct/24/tour-de-france-centenary-route?intcmp=239

I'm really sad that you lot don't seem to follow any of the other classic races. Is it because there's no significant/winning American presence? :|

easygoingfemme
10-24-2012, 06:55 AM
I was just looking at Tour of Britain. Day one at 123 miles and under 5 hour completion. Dang.

Daktari
10-24-2012, 07:22 AM
I was just looking at Tour of Britain. Day one at 123 miles and under 5 hour completion. Dang.

Ooooh I hope you follow it to the end, if it's all still available to watch online. You get to see much of our countryside.

I was at the finish in Blackpool for one of the latter stages. :cheesy:

easygoingfemme
10-24-2012, 08:54 AM
I think that the only thing left available to watch are some clips... which are great to watch too. Would have loved to see some of the live coverage!

Daktari
10-24-2012, 03:24 PM
I think that the only thing left available to watch are some clips... which are great to watch too. Would have loved to see some of the live coverage!

I loved the daily live coverage. It was awesome to see Wiggins and Cav ride, amongst others. :cheesy:

easygoingfemme
10-24-2012, 06:30 PM
I tend to miss the live coverage. One time I was on a bike trip during TDF and kept stopping at local pubs/sports bars for meals because I knew they'd have the race on and I could catch snippets.
It's cyclocross season though so I need to get to some of that for live action!

DapperButch
01-17-2013, 09:56 PM
Anybody watch Lance on Oprah tonight?

Even though I felt pretty confident that it was true when I heard that Floyd spoke on it, I didn't listen to the interview because I really didn't want to believe it.

After he lost his titles I knew I couldn't deny it.

But, watching him "yes", to Oprah over and over again...man, weird, but it brought tears to my eyes. And I think that it is not even all about Lance, but is about the fact that this incredible story of one man winning 7 tours, simply isn't true. That is a bummer. But, if everyone was clean would Lance have won 7 times? Maybe. Sucks we will never know.

macele
01-17-2013, 10:15 PM
i'm not taking up for lance, ... he cheated. and lied time after time. and it's about more than just lance. what i keep thinking about is how so many times the folks that are supposed to be checking the steroid use, ... looked the other way. paid off or whatever. lance isn't the only one guilty. pro cycling from top to bottom is guilty. has to be. they knew what he was doing. greed.

alexri
01-17-2013, 10:19 PM
I feel for all the people he harassed, bullied, and went after to keep his cheating a secret. I imagine it's a bittersweet vindication for the reporters and writers who were threatened or intimidated by him.

I also feel for all the athletes that didn't cheat who didn't have a fair chance.

I have absolutely no sympathy for Armstrong and no respect for him. He shows no remorse. I feel like he's only confessing because he wants to race again and participate in triathlons, or because there are financial concerns. I know the statute of limitations for perjury charges expired so he can't be charged.

I am also bothered by the number of people who think he should get a free pass because he set up Livestrong, or because "everyone does it."

Bèsame*
01-17-2013, 10:44 PM
Unbelievable how "big" it was. A doping mafia? Unreal...

macele
01-18-2013, 12:26 AM
in the oprah interview, all i got was he is so full of himself. now i don't know his heart. i'm not judging. but he has lied so much that he doesn't know what truth is. i think there's a good kind of intimidation. (but his) i could feel the "superstar" intimidation. his kind was unsettling. wow. and on the news, it's just about money. that's what its always been about.

Daktari
01-18-2013, 07:21 AM
I still wanna know what the big sums of cash Armstrong 'donated' to cycling's governing body were all about. No-one will say anything about those...odd that!

I'm so sorry that his fans now have to face what many in cycling have known for some time.

Oh how the mighty fall huh?

Not seen the interview yet. What a travesty getting a light entertainment 'personality' to do the interview. If he was serious about 'telling the truth' and 'coming clean' (oh what irony) then the interview would have been with a real journalist who would have 'grilled' him properly.

macele
01-18-2013, 07:57 AM
oprah did a good job, in my opinion. she didn't pet him. now the part 2 show, ... poor poor pitiful me might be engaged. it's entertainment no matter who does the interview. again, greed plays a part.

Daktari
01-18-2013, 08:51 AM
oprah did a good job, in my opinion. she didn't pet him. now the part 2 show, ... poor poor pitiful me might be engaged. it's entertainment no matter who does the interview. again, greed plays a part.

Well, yassee, in my book cheating in a world sport is not entertainment, it's newsworthy and therefore warrants a proper journalistic interview by someone whose stock in trade is journalism, preferably cycling journalism like William Fotheringham, and not interviewing celebs about their latest rehab/breakdown or what book to read next.

ETA. Just read this on the Guardian cycling blog.
"Armstrong was on a mission to fix his public image, but the whole exercise was weakened by his need to apologise. In another world, where his accusers had not been so tenacious and he had not set himself up as both a victim and a hero, Armstrong believes he could have avoided this whole charade. Speaking about his return to the sport in 2009, he said: "We wouldn't be sitting here if I didn't come back", seemingly admitting that he was apologising because he had been caught."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/poll/2013/jan/18/lance-armstrong-interview-oprah-winfrey-poll

curlyredhead
01-18-2013, 09:30 AM
I don't understand this. If he passed all of his drug tests, how can they do this?

I must read more about it as it makes no sense.

Heartbreaking, truly.

Live Strong Lance.

I understand why you are confused Anya, this is what he was explaining last night on the interview. At the time they couldn't detect what he was doing the tests weren't that advanced. This is what blows my mind too because really if they couldn't detect it then, he was then cleared. So how can they come back and say he cheated when really at the time it wasn't visible by the lab. Of course he admitted to doping last night but like he said 95% of the tour is doped. I think it says a lot about what kind of pressure these guys are put in to win at All Costs. He said that coming back out of retirement screwed him. It essentially showed he had doped in the past. He regrets it now. I am looking forward to the rest of the interview. I feel bad for his mom and his kids, especially his son, since there was a clip about his son being his biggest supporter and how he lied to them all.

Daktari
01-18-2013, 09:50 AM
Others did it so he did. He only got caught because testing had improved when he came back. Seems a little naive to think that because he didn't get caught first time that he wouldn't the second time. He deserves excoriating just for the arrogance of that.

Wonder where the proof that 95% of the tour was/is 'doped'. Many were, but not all. Many have been caught too. But what about the honest sportsmen who got beaten time and again but remained clean because their personal morality and trust in their own ability and training didn't allow them to cheat? Not everyone is prepared to win at all costs and bully a whole load of folks to achieve it. Armstrong deserves to lose all his Tour wins because of even just one clean cyclist who competed in any of those tours.

Course he regrets it now, he got caught. Methinks that any regret is entirely as a result of getting caught and strongly suspect that he would have been happy to continue making millions for himself in retirement if he hadn't been caught.

As you say curlyredhead, our thoughts should be with his family and children.

DapperButch
07-01-2013, 06:57 PM
2013 Le Tour de France!!

6/29/13-7/21/13

100th Anniversary!!!

Who else is watching? My cable was out and got it fixed today, only to find out that the channel the tour is on this year is not in my current plan. Grrr...so I just upgraded in order to be able to watch. It gets activated tomorrow. Until then, I will be watching clips.

Who are everyone's favorites this year?

Daktari
07-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Yup...I'm watching again of course - although not every day thus far.
Each days stage is shown in it's entirety and then an hour summary each evening on the terrestrial channel I watch. (ITV4).

I was pleased to see the team TT back this year.

Sagan is my pick for the green jersey and a top 2 in the GC. He's a sprinter that can climb a bit, unlike our own Cav. I do hope Cav adds to his brilliant stage wins thus far.

I do hope Contador doesn't win...he may have served his drug ban, but in my book he should have been banned from all international events for life for being a proven cheat.

Who's your pick Dapper?

Daktari
07-06-2013, 01:01 PM
What an awesome job Team Sky did today. One and two in the GC is a fab achievement. I hope Froome manages to live up to the hype and pull off the top spot this year.

DapperButch
07-08-2013, 08:38 AM
What an awesome job Team Sky did today. One and two in the GC is a fab achievement. I hope Froome manages to live up to the hype and pull off the top spot this year.

I haven't been able to watch the Tour because I have been away at the beach where I have no cable. Yes, I am hoping for Froome as well. Honestly though, I have no real emotional investment in any rider winning.

Contador...yep, can't stand the guy.

Daktari
07-08-2013, 03:20 PM
I haven't been able to watch the Tour because I have been away at the beach where I have no cable. Yes, I am hoping for Froome as well. Honestly though, I have no real emotional investment in any rider winning.

Contador...yep, can't stand the guy.

I hope you're having fun at the beach. :hangloose:

It's fantastic to have Brits doing so well in the Tour in recent years. It accompanies star performers in the velodrome and road TTing. People such as Sir Chris Hoy, Brad Wiggins and Victoria Pendleton have inspired so many more folks to cycle after seeing them triumph at major sporting events in the last decade, especially the last two Olympics.

It's sure adding flavour to my Tour interest after 15/20yrs of watching on tv and a 45yr passion for cycling. My mate Andy and I are talking about a trip to watch the 2014 Grand Depart (or at least one of the two stages) over the Pennines, to the east, in the major towns of Yorkshire.

It does make a whole load of difference if ya have a particular interest in one or more of the riders.

Yet to see or hear about today's stage so I don't know if Froome has defended the yellow jersey again.

DapperButch
07-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Today's a rest day.

I was able to see a bit of yesterday's stage (9) and I will admit I have a bit of Froome fever. Yes, it is much more fun if you have a favorite!

Daktari
07-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Today's a rest day.

I was able to see a bit of yesterday's stage (9) and I will admit I have a bit of Froome fever. Yes, it is much more fun if you have a favorite!

Show's ya how distracted I've been today, I forgot it was a rest day. :blush:

He's quite something our Mr.F ain't he :cheesy:

DapperButch
07-08-2013, 06:33 PM
Show's ya how distracted I've been today, I forgot it was a rest day. :blush:

He's quite something our Mr.F ain't he :cheesy:

Oh, no worries, I am WAY out of the loop this year...just found out today is a rest day. I woke up hoping to watch as I came home late last night.

Finally, I will be able to sit and watch a stage tomorrow (well the 3 hour recap in the evening).

DapperButch
07-10-2013, 08:47 PM
So, glad Martin got the stage today (just watched it). It would have been so sad if the poor chap waited 4 hours only to lose!

I am happy to see Froome continuing to do well!

Daktari
07-11-2013, 03:07 AM
So, glad Martin got the stage today (just watched it). It would have been so sad if the poor chap waited 4 hours only to lose!

I am happy to see Froome continuing to do well!

The TT was awesome wasn't it. Martin did an amazing job...the waiting must have been torturous. So pleased that Froome is living up to his potential for the time being. Over 3 minutes is a pretty hefty lead but one bad day in the mountains could shatter that of course.

Today there's a big sprint finish. It's always good to watch the powerhouse guys sprint it out.

DapperButch
07-11-2013, 08:46 PM
I have to admit I am really liking Kittel!

I have never been much of a Cav fan, but I remember you are, Daktari, so you are probably disappointed that he lost the sprint today.

Daktari
07-12-2013, 05:36 AM
I have to admit I am really liking Kittel!

I have never been much of a Cav fan, but I remember you are, Daktari, so you are probably disappointed that he lost the sprint today.

Disappointed for Cav (arrogant barsteward but so very talented) yes but hey, Kittel was truly awesome! It's the first time I recall seeing Cav beaten from behind in that manner for a very, very long time. All power to young Mr.K.

It's such a shame that Edvald Boasson Hagen is out with a badly busted up shoulder...broken humerus and scapula (classic cycling injuries). He's been one of the rocks that Team Sky has been built on that allows the likes of Wiggo and Froomey to shine so brightly. His loss, along with Kanstantin Siutsou earlier in the race means Froome is down to a support team of six. :|

It's another sprint today...Go Cav!! :cheesy:

DapperButch
07-12-2013, 08:55 PM
I have a new respect for Cavendish and I am glad that he won today.

I was very impressed that prior to today's race, he acknowledged his loss yesterday was about Kittle having a better day (rather than making excuses for losing). More than that, he was open enough to admit that perhaps he is being replaced as the best sprinter, in the same way that he replaced whoever was best when he came on the scene.

Yep, I got some new respect for Cav, who like you said has always been a cocky man.

It made me smile to see him win today. He was so happy, like a little boy getting a new bicycle! ha! Good to see him get that record of winning the most stages of anyone (25).

The Contador activity/Froome added to it being an interesting stage today. I hope you got to see some of it, Daktari.

Wryly
07-12-2013, 11:11 PM
Today was the first time in years that i've been able to actually been able to watch the Tour. My brother and I had an enjoyable morning watching the race and trying to figure out what was going on.

ahk
07-12-2013, 11:41 PM
I thought todays leg was pretty intense.

Daktari
07-13-2013, 02:30 AM
I have a new respect for Cavendish and I am glad that he won today.

I was very impressed that prior to today's race, he acknowledged his loss yesterday was about Kittle having a better day (rather than making excuses for losing). More than that, he was open enough to admit that perhaps he is being replaced as the best sprinter, in the same way that he replaced whoever was best when he came on the scene.

Yep, I got some new respect for Cav, who like you said has always been a cocky man.

It made me smile to see him win today. He was so happy, like a little boy getting a new bicycle! ha! Good to see him get that record of winning the most stages of anyone (25).

The Contador activity/Froome added to it being an interesting stage today. I hope you got to see some of it, Daktari.

Aye, I got to see the highlights last night. I've not been watching the the stages in their entirety. It's on in the afternoon and it's far too sunny to stay in watching cycling on tv when I can be out on my bike actually doing it. :cheesy:
I was so pleased for Cav getting the stage yesterday and a little taken aback by his gracious interview about 'best sprinters' and getting beaten by Kittel. Young Cav is growing up...awwwww!

This last week of the tour is gonna be B.R.U.T.A.L

Check this Fotheringham article out...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/12/tour-de-france-2013-pain

Hope you worked it out easily enough Wryly

ahk cyclists have legs, Le Tour has stages :raspberry:

DapperButch
07-13-2013, 07:59 AM
Aye, I got to see the highlights last night. I've not been watching the the stages in their entirety. It's on in the afternoon and it's far too sunny to stay in watching cycling on tv when I can be out on my bike actually doing it. :cheesy:
I was so pleased for Cav getting the stage yesterday and a little taken aback by his gracious interview about 'best sprinters' and getting beaten by Kittel. Young Cav is growing up...awwwww!

This last week of the tour is gonna be B.R.U.T.A.L

Check this Fotheringham article out...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/jul/12/tour-de-france-2013-pain

Hope you worked it out easily enough Wryly

ahk cyclists have legs, Le Tour has stages :raspberry:

The tour is on in the mornings here, when I am at work. I see 3 hours of "Primetime" coverage in the evenings. 3 hours really is a large block of time to give up, to be honest, so I will be on the computer catching up on email/work while it is on, as well. I have to tell you that I go through this sense of "loss" at the end of each tour every year. It get woven into the fabric of your evenings that then is all of a sudden gone!

Thanks for the article. Yes, it is certainly going to be tough for the "boys" this week.

Daktari
07-15-2013, 04:28 AM
Oh my! Oh my! Oh my giddy aunt!

Froome on Ventoux what a heroic ride.

Mont Ventoux is legendary in the Tour...Froome's win is very special because it's the 100th Tour and it was Bastille Day and it's where Brit Tom Simpson died in the '67 Tour and it's the first time a Brit has won on the Ventoux and because he crossed the finish, with Quintana, in a two man breakaway on the longest day in the saddle, on one of the most brutal mountain stages ever, gaining him time on all his rivals. Awesome! I would venture to say that it could possibly have won him the whole Tour.

Sadly Tom Simpson was found to have taken a cocktail of alcohol, amphetamine and diruetics; Despite this, Simpson is well regarded by many. A memorial to Tom is at the place he collapsed, just 1km from the summit of Ventoux. The memorial was festooned with tributes this weekend.

I was so pleased to see Contador dropped on what should have been his natural terrain. Young Quintana is one to watch for the future.

I can't wait for D'Huez on Thursday. The peloton breaches the summit twice of this behemoth of the high Alps.

DapperButch
07-15-2013, 08:26 PM
Oh my! Oh my! Oh my giddy aunt!

Froome on Ventoux what a heroic ride.

Mont Ventoux is legendary in the Tour...Froome's win is very special because it's the 100th Tour and it was Bastille Day and it's where Brit Tom Simpson died in the '67 Tour and it's the first time a Brit has won on the Ventoux and because he crossed the finish, with Quintana, in a two man breakaway on the longest day in the saddle, on one of the most brutal mountain stages ever, gaining him time on all his rivals. Awesome! I would venture to say that it could possibly have won him the whole Tour.

Sadly Tom Simpson was found to have taken a cocktail of alcohol, amphetamine and diruetics; Despite this, Simpson is well regarded by many. A memorial to Tom is at the place he collapsed, just 1km from the summit of Ventoux. The memorial was festooned with tributes this weekend.

I was so pleased to see Contador dropped on what should have been his natural terrain. Young Quintana is one to watch for the future.

I can't wait for D'Huez on Thursday. The peloton breaches the summit twice of this behemoth of the high Alps.

Finally I can make comment on the 15th stage! I saw the highlights (about 30 minutes worth), and yes, it was great to watch!

Contador....grrr...I really hate that guy. Is it me, or is he always selfish and never takes his turn? Something I noticed many a time....

Congrats Daktari for another win for the Brits!

Daktari
07-16-2013, 02:55 AM
Finally I can make comment on the 15th stage! I saw the highlights (about 30 minutes worth), and yes, it was great to watch!

Contador....grrr...I really hate that guy. Is it me, or is he always selfish and never takes his turn? Something I noticed many a time....

Congrats Daktari for another win for the Brits!

I agree with ya about Contador, he never takes his turn in the pacemaking and never did. Selfish cheat!
Sadly, I was so tired last night I fell asleep not long after I'd put the highlights on itvplayer so I'm not sure what happened...I'll catch up later when I've done the bike workshop thang today.

Go Froomey!!

UofMfan
07-20-2013, 10:05 AM
What a way to celebrate Colombia's Independence Day! (http://www.bicycling.com/tour-de-france/tour-features/quintanas-big-move)

Nairo Quintana is making us proud :)

"Riding his debut Tour, Quintana’s maiden stage victory also secured the 23-year-old Colombian the polka dot jersey as the race’s climber and the white jersey as the best young rider, not to forget the second rung on the podium in Paris."

http://www3.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Quintana+Rojas+Le+Tour+de+France+2013+Stage+pnUyIP okJcQl.jpg

Daktari
07-20-2013, 01:15 PM
Damn! Now I know who won today's stage before seeing the hightlights!

Wish I hadn't looked at this thread now. :|

Daktari
07-20-2013, 02:23 PM
I apologise to all who read the thread for being grumpy about seeing the today's result. :fastdraq:

DapperButch
07-21-2013, 02:21 PM
CHRIS FROOME IS THE 2013 WINNER OF THE TOUR DE FRANCE!!!!!

SnackTime
07-28-2013, 07:27 AM
GREAT TDF this year!

I watched all of it (mostly on primetime). It was AWESOME to see Contador dropped on the mountain stages.

I am happy for Chris Froome! He deserved the win. I really like the Columbian rider too, he is someone to watch in the future!

The tour is not going to be the same with Jens Voigt (the oldest rider in the tour this year) retiring.

DapperButch
07-06-2014, 08:19 AM
Welcome to the
2014 Le Tour De France!

thread

7/5/14- 7/27/14

The tour began yesterday. Who are your favorites? Who do you want to win? Any thoughts on the route this year? Tell us here!

DapperButch
07-07-2014, 09:04 PM
I just watched the Prime Time show. I am happy for Kittel

I am curious to hear from Daktari this year. The riders and commentators are talking about the surge of spectators in England this year. They alluded to thr fact that England has recently taken an interest in cycling. Dak, can you speak to this? Is their an increase in both watching cycling as well as recreational and/or as a means of transportation?

However, I believe the most interesting thing to watch on the Tour each year is how Bobke is looking! Has anyone else noticed the obvious pattern of him being in fantastic cycling shape one year and then out of shape the next? This is an "in shape " year. LOVE THE BOBKE!!!

DapperButch
07-10-2014, 05:38 AM
Poor Chris Froome. :(

Is anybody else watching? A couple of riders said they thought the cobblestones were unfair to have in the race as all they do is knock out good riders, who should still be here, such as Froome. One alluded to the idea that it is to make the race more "exciting" to spectators. Bob Roll pointed out that most of the crashes were not on the cobblestones, but on the regular blacktop, referencing the rain. He said using cobblestones is another way of getting the best overall rider" to come to the rise to the top, who is the person that should win the Tour de France.

What do others think?

DapperButch
07-24-2014, 08:36 PM
Wow what a great stage today!!!

<---- well aware he is talking to himself

DapperButch
07-27-2014, 06:03 PM
CONGRATULATIONS TO
VINCENZO NIBALI, THE WINNER OF THE 2014 TOUR DE FRANCE !!!

http://www.foxsports.com/cycling/story/italian-vincenzo-nibali-wins-the-tour-de-france-072714?cmpid=msn%3Afoxsports%3Aansfox11&gt1=msnans

What an interesting tour this year. I admit I have never been one for Cavendish or Contador, so I was not upset when they had to retire from the Tour. I was bummed to see Fromme go. I have lots to say about the Tour, but no one is here to discuss it with.

See you all next year!!!

Bèsame*
07-27-2014, 09:35 PM
ok, so I'm not big on the bike thing, but it has peaked my interest. I did watch the rainy cobblestone day. Which I found to be exciting! I have learned about the different shirts. Oh, and the cool down, when the lactose leaves your muscles...

I'll pay more attention next year :) Poor Chris Froome. :(

Is anybody else watching? A couple of riders said they thought the cobblestones were unfair to have in the race as all they do is knock out good riders, who should still be here, such as Froome. One alluded to the idea that it is to make the race more "exciting" to spectators. Bob Roll pointed out that most of the crashes were not on the cobblestones, but on the regular blacktop, referencing the rain. He said using cobblestones is another way of getting the best overall rider" to come to the rise to the top, who is the person that should win the Tour de France.

What do others think?

SnackTime
07-28-2014, 05:04 AM
I just watched the Prime Time show. I am happy for Kittel

I am curious to hear from Daktari this year. The riders and commentators are talking about the surge of spectators in England this year. They alluded to thr fact that England has recently taken an interest in cycling. Dak, can you speak to this? Is their an increase in both watching cycling as well as recreational and/or as a means of transportation?

However, I believe the most interesting thing to watch on the Tour each year is how Bobke is looking! Has anyone else noticed the obvious pattern of him being in fantastic cycling shape one year and then out of shape the next? This is an "in shape " year. LOVE THE BOBKE!!!

Hey Dapper, if I remember correctly Bobke has been looking good the last few years.

SnackTime
07-28-2014, 05:08 AM
I was bummed when Froome, Cancellera, and Schleck got hurt and had to leave the race. I was hoping Richie Porte would to step up and be numero uno for Sky, unfortunately that did not happen. I cannot say the same about Contador. Oh and how about Cavendish? He wrecked and was out the first day. This year's race lost quite a few big names.

Congratulations to Voigt for finishing his final tour. I have always liked him! I was hoping he could pull off the stage win earlier in race, oh well, he gave it a hell of a try. I also liked how he had a brief breakaway in Paris yesterday. I will miss his humor during interviews.

Congratulations to Nibali! He had an amazing tour this year!

Daktari
07-28-2014, 05:10 AM
What a dramatic Tour it was this year.

So sad to see Contador and Froome hit the broom wagon. Although I really didn't want to see the robot that is Froome compete.

There was an amazing turn out here for the couple of days the Tour was in UK.
I didn't get to go as I was busy doing fellowship service but I saw it all on the telly. It was awesome to watch them cycle some of the roads I've cycled...particularly around Hebden Bridge.

Dapper, there's been a huge cycling resurgence during recent years. The great successes of Team GB track cycling team and successes on the road over the last decade has done much to add many more two wheeled road users [well, those who abide by the Highway Code actually do ride on the road]. There's loads more fully lycra clad blokes with fancy, over £1000 bikes...the all-the-gear-and-no-idea crew I call 'em...as well a burgeoning group of non-sporting, leisure cyclists. There's more and more folks like me who use the velo as their primary transport, especially in larger conurbations.

Glad you've enjoyed watching this year Dapper. I've loved watching it all, especially the cobble of the Roubaix.

Looking forward the Vuelta, last of the annual grand tours next month.

MsTinkerbelly
07-28-2014, 09:39 AM
I've watched in the past, but this years view came from our friends Viv and Pete who live in Lincoln and attended the race.

They uploaded video of the race coming by them, and for the first time i could see just how fast they really are as they flew by, and how much excitement there was in the air!

Hmmmm free plane tickets, stay with V and P, we might have to think about next year!

Daktari
07-28-2014, 02:43 PM
I've watched in the past, but this years view came from our friends Viv and Pete who live in Lincoln and attended the race.

They uploaded video of the race coming by them, and for the first time i could see just how fast they really are as they flew by, and how much excitement there was in the air!

Hmmmm free plane tickets, stay with V and P, we might have to think about next year!

It's not coming to the UK next year sadly. Maybe in 2 or 3 yrs time it'll come back.
Next year's Grand Depart is in Utrecht, Netherlands. It's only an hour by air to Amsterdam from here. From Lincoln it's a short hop from Humberside or Robin Hood airports.

:chaplin:

DapperButch
07-03-2015, 08:15 PM
Stage 1 starts tomorrow at 7:00AM EST on NBCSN, people!

Here we go.....:fastcycling:

Kelt
07-03-2015, 10:09 PM

Any over-the-air or streaming options? :praying:

Wondering exactly how hypocritical I'd feel going to the gym and sitting on a recumbent bike to watch it. Hmm...

DapperButch
07-04-2015, 06:24 AM

I wanted to take a moment to say RIP to Daktari who loved to ride and loved the Tour. I looked forward to talking with him about it every year. I was also jealous that he could ride a unicycle! RIP, my friend.

:candle:

DapperButch
07-04-2015, 06:39 AM
Any over-the-air or streaming options? :praying:

Wondering exactly how hypocritical I'd feel going to the gym and sitting on a recumbent bike to watch it. Hmm...

You have no doubt found this by now.

Main site. http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2015/us/

You can find links and stuff in some places.

https://www.procyclinglive.com/livestream/

http://www.cyclingfans.com/

You can google around to try to find things.

http://www.bicycling.com/racing/2015-tour-de-france/how-watch-tour-de-france

Otherwise, if you want it all, you can pay $29.99 for live streaming/recorded for the whole tour, or less for get an app for live streaming only. You can also buy by the day.

http://tourdefrance.nbcsports.com/

So, really, not good options besides paying.

Good to have you this year!

Kelt
07-04-2015, 06:42 AM
Sweet!

I had not done the leg work yet, so thanks. I'll check the schedule and see what I can work-around.

Thanks for the links. :cheesy:

DapperButch
07-04-2015, 07:17 AM
Surprisingly, there are actually some decent t-shirts this year. First year I have ever seen that. I looked a month or so ago and they didn't have anything good. Now there is a bunch of new stuff.

If you want anything from the store, today would be the day to buy. The stuff sells out quickly and it seems they never restock.

You have to pay for shipping though. Standard delivery is 3-7 days, too.

Kelt, if you have an interest in learning more, you might want to order one of these programs:

http://boutique.letour.fr/stores/letour/products/product_details.aspx?pid=167778

DapperButch
07-05-2015, 08:43 PM
I'm not surprised at Cavendish not giving a shit about Tony Martin. He has always only been for himself. To stop peddling? Ass.

DapperButch
07-07-2015, 08:47 PM
Great stage!

Rock on, Tony Martin. F*ck you, Cavendish! Jerk.

DapperButch
07-22-2015, 08:26 PM
Tejay is out. :(

I can't help but smile knowing that Daktari would be so pleased to see Fromme winning. :)

DapperButch
07-26-2015, 08:52 PM
CONGRATULATIONS TO CHRIS FROOME
WINNER OF THE 2015 TOUR DE FRANCE!!!

Daktari would be proud. (f)

:|
:|

See you next year!

DapperButch
07-09-2016, 09:43 AM
Today's news....

"The defending champion is back on top", Phill Ligget.

Stage 8 just finished, with Chris Froome snagging the yellow jersey!

Sorry, I am so late to post this year. I was away for a bit and haven't been watching.

Is anyone else pissed as shit that there is no longer a "Primetime Show" each evening seemingly due to their coverage of the Olympic trials? It's bullshit. I have to buy the freaking $29.99 package from NBC Sports gold membership in order to see the stages, unless I want to miss the first half of my workday every day to watch it in the morning. At least that it what it seems to me. Am I missing something? Is there an evening show on another channel? It's the flippin' Tour de France!

Sooo, for those who are watching, who are you for? I'm for Froome, so I am quite pleased.

For those who did see the stage, did you see Froome punch the fan in the yellow bird suit in the face? It was awesome. It is so inappropriate/unsafe to get that close to the riders. No doubt you will be able to google this scene within an hour or so.

RIP Daktari :fastcycling:

*Anya*
07-09-2016, 11:12 AM
RIP Daktari :fastcycling:

I was just thinking about Dak the other day. I think March 30th it had been a year since he passed.

I still miss him around here.

I hope you don't mind the slight derail Dapper but he loved the Tour.