PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else in school???

Legendryder
11-10-2009, 12:38 PM
I didn't know where else to put this, although being back in college after over twenty years is funny enough I suppose. My health has put me out of work since July, so I decided to go ahead and go back online because I was pretty stir crazy. I can say it has been interesting. I had no idea what kind of stupid was out there. I find it hard to believe these folks even have high school diplomas, but I know they must to be going to college.

Anyone else out there going back? Got anything to share?

Selenay
11-10-2009, 01:40 PM
I'm in college!

Not everyone has to have a high school degree to enroll in college, actually, some universities will accept students on an academic probation who have never completed high school/gotten their GED.

Legendryder
11-10-2009, 02:33 PM
I'm in college!

Not everyone has to have a high school degree to enroll in college, actually, some universities will accept students on an academic probation who have never completed high school/gotten their GED.

Wow, I did not know that. So what are ya taking? I am in a Business program.

Selenay
11-10-2009, 02:37 PM
Wow, I did not know that. So what are ya taking? I am in a Business program.

I'm a Sociology major with a concentration in Education and Society.

Legendryder
11-10-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm a Sociology major with a concentration in Education and Society.

Very cool. Sounds like a lot of work though. Not that I would mind that, but whew.

pajama
11-10-2009, 11:50 PM
After trying to get through A&P II twice, so that I could get into nursing school....I decided to just go back and finish my Masters in Accounting.

So I'm an "adult learner" back in school too. Will be done this time Spring 2011.

A

SnackTime
11-11-2009, 07:23 AM
I started my adventure of going back to school in 2006. I should have finished last year, but I ended up taking some time off. I am a senior at the University of Phoenix. I should have my Bachelor of Science in Information Technology sometime next year. My classes have predominantly been on a flex-net program (on campus the first and last day of class) with the majority of work being done online.

D-Money
11-11-2009, 07:36 AM
another "alternative student" here ...

education major at Wichita State University :)

i'm loving college! being a freshman at 44 is challenging some days, but i am having a ball!

this semester:

Men & Masculinities (sociology)
Basics of Philosophy
English comp 101 (gotta get those gen eds out of the way)
History of Musical Theatre (my fine arts req)

GO SHOCKS!

http://www.wichita.edu/thisis/

Legendryder
11-11-2009, 07:38 AM
Wow. There are quite a few of us it looks like. I just started in July, but I really love it. Wish I had done this years ago.

shadows papa
11-11-2009, 10:50 AM
I started back to school in August 2007 and after taking one semester off between now and then,I am finishing up what core courses I can at the community college here before transferring to the college where the PTA program is actually done. This semester is algebra and physics and I am very happy I only had to take these two courses because I suck at both of them and they occupy a LOT of my time!:eek:

Darth Denkay
11-12-2009, 10:56 PM
I'm 36. Since I started pre-school at the age of 3, the only time I have not been enrolled in school is for two years right after I earned my bachelor's degree. I hope to graduate in the Spring, assuming I finish my dissertation. And as much as part of me would like to say I'll never go back, I think it's likely I'll still take classes here and there - don't know if I'll try to get another formal degree though...

lillith
11-22-2009, 02:30 PM
I am 35 and a junior at Cal State Long Beach. I am a English major with an option in rhetoric and composition, and minor in religious studies. I should be graduating in spring of 2011 with a BA.

I dropped out of high school two weeks into my 9th grade year. Due to some circumstances, I was forced to get my GED when I was 18. Over the course of several years, I tried to go back to school and was unsuccessful.

After my son was born, I decided to go back and get my high school diploma. I do not my son to ever think that because I didn't do it, he didn't have to either. A few years later, I decided to go to school for massage. I graduated that with a 3.98 gpa and am a certified massage therapist. I did massage for a few years, had some really crappy things go down and quit doing that. After roaming around from job to job, I decided that I needed an education from higher institutions. I started two and half years ago at a community college and have not stopped since. It is so important to me that last spring I worked two jobs, squeezed in 20 units/credits while raising my son.

I want to continue my education as far as it will go. I want to be a professor eventually. I am a firm believer in it is never too late to go back.

Penelope
11-24-2009, 09:16 AM
I'll be going back to school this winter and it should be interesting. :reader: I already have a B.A. but I'm finding it's not enough to get me out of my current career "track". I've never worked full-time and gone to school so I am concerned about juggling it all. :confused:

kassykit
11-24-2009, 02:26 PM
YAY for us students!!

ohh did you know you can get discounts at the movies!!

:pcthink:

Penelope
11-24-2009, 02:53 PM
Discounts for computers, too! I ordered an HP laptop online and they offered an education discount (had to provide student ID number only). DELL and Apple do this as well. :clap:

YAY for us students!!

ohh did you know you can get discounts at the movies!!

:pcthink:

lillith
11-24-2009, 05:32 PM
I'll be going back to school this winter and it should be interesting. :reader: I already have a B.A. but I'm finding it's not enough to get me out of my current career "track". I've never worked full-time and gone to school so I am concerned about juggling it all. :confused:

Penelope, I am sure you will do very well. It takes a couple of weeks to get the hang of it, but you will slide right into a routine. Next thing you know, a semester is over and you are that much closer to your goal. It won't be nearly as hard as you think. And, if you need to vent, I can totally sympathize. Don't worry honey, you will be great!

lillith:thumbsup:

Semantics
01-19-2010, 09:59 AM
Hello fellow students. :)

My semester starts tomorrow, I have an assignment due on the first day of my Abnormal Psych course, and I haven't even purchased my books yet. :blah:

I'm also taking Urban Anthropology and a Computer Applications elective.

Is anyone else taking classes this semester? I hope you're off to a better start than I am. Good luck everyone. :)

lillith
01-19-2010, 10:15 AM

My semester starts tomorrow, I have an assignment due on the first day of my Abnormal Psych course, and I haven't even purchased my books yet. :blah:

Is anyone else taking classes this semester? I hope you're off to a better start than I am. Good luck everyone. :)

I am taking three english classes and a religious studies class. My semester starts next monday, and I am waiting for my financial aid to come thorugh. Grrrr...

Anyway, I hope that everyone that is in school is having a great semester.

Lillith

always2late
01-19-2010, 10:19 AM

I am taking classes this semester...my first starts tomorrow. Sometimes it seems like I will never NOT be taking classes! lol

Thankfully, I am beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel....of course after I am done with this degree, I intend to pursue the next one. Sigh...can anyone say masochist?

always2late
01-19-2010, 10:22 AM

Penelope, all I can say is, it gets easier. I work full-time, go to school, and am a single mom. When I first started back to school, the first two weeks or so I thought I would pull my hair out! But, I survived and I am here to say that it DOES get easier. You just have to find your groove :)

always2late
01-21-2010, 06:41 AM
Semester has started.....how many days til May??

RNguy
01-21-2010, 07:09 AM
My first degree I got was an MLT degree ( microbiology )
My second degree I got was the RN degree
Now my third one is going to be in psychology.
I should have went to med school with all these years I put in geez.
anyways I dread going back in a way and am getting burned out

-RNguy

Penelope
01-21-2010, 08:42 AM
Thanks, always2late, I'd love to think it gets easier! :praying: LOL

I never take for granted the time I had to devote to studies when I got my BA as that was my full time job. :)

I'm trying an online course as work is busy this time of year and I can't be sure I could get to a class. Unfortunately it seems that the online courses are condensed - only half a semester - so they move at a pretty quick pace. I'm glad I only took 1 course at a time. :tiredcomputer:

This is my first foray in to IT with an Intro to Programming Logic course the first half of the semester, and if I don't drop it for lack of time, the second class is Intro to Web Design.

Penelope, all I can say is, it gets easier. I work full-time, go to school, and am a single mom. When I first started back to school, the first two weeks or so I thought I would pull my hair out! But, I survived and I am here to say that it DOES get easier. You just have to find your groove :)

Legendryder
01-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Wow, I stepped away for a while, and pow, the thread took off. rofl

I have been busier than a one-legged man at an ass kicking contest. I had two finals due, and was worried sick about them. Turns out, I was worried for nothing. I aced both of them. Silly me.

So, I am now into my next block. This time I have a business class and another essay class. Sheesh. Anyhow, I had a paper due today, about the differnent orgainzations of business. And, me being the goofball, and given it could be a fictional scenario, I wrote about Bob. Thought you all would get a kick out of it, so here it is:

Since we are allowed to use a fictional scenario and I am totally obsessed with my chihuahua Bob, I have decided to make him into my business leader of tomorrow.

Joint-stock company: Bob decided he was very interested in starting a company, but his stash of bones (capital) was pretty meager. So, one day at the dog park, Bob talked up his business plan, and offered shares of bone stocks. His presentation was so compelling, two standard poodles, a beagle mix, a Maltese and a well kept Georgia black dog all agreed to invest their bones, and traded their capital for Bob's shares. Bob, being the shrewd business dog, only sold 49 percent of the total companies' worth, so he would continue to be the primary share holder.

Limited liability company: Bob's company was doing well, but once again, being the shrewd business dog, he noticed fluctuations in the bone market. Therefore, to protect his assets, Bob transformed the company to a limited liability. And sure enough, the bone market took a nose-dive. Thank goodness Bob's personal cache of bones were protected by this law. That was a close one, but the poodles, the beagle mix, the Maltese and Georgia black dog all lost their invested bones.

Partnership: Having the crushing blow of having to file for bone-rupsy due to the failure of his company but still having dodged the bullet of totally being bone poor, Bob contacted his friend, Jackson. Jackson the schnauzer had an excess of bones, and being Bob's good friend, decided to take an amount equal to Bob's, and start another company. Both of them, working together, had wonderful luck. These two dogs, sharing the responsibility equally, revolutionized the bone market, bringing it into the 21st century.

Sole proprietorship: Some days, it is a dog's life. On a whim, Jackson played the bone lottery. Low and behold, he won. Taking his winnings, Jackson purchased a Tudor-styled dog house, hired a butler, and moved to the country. Jackson sold his half of the business to Bob, no longer needing to be bothered with the trivial day to day operation of the bone company. Bob, now is the sole owner of the largest bone empire in the world.

always2late
01-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Legendryder, Congratulations on acing your exams!! (and congratulations to Bob for cornering the bone market...Oliver (my chihuahua) will be sending in Bob his resume)

Penelope..sending you "don't-worry-it-will-be-ok" vibes :)

I had my first psych class today....and it still floors me when I walk into a classroom and the professor is at least 10 years younger than me. LOL

Seems like a good prof, and I've spoken to people who have taken classes with him before and they say his is fair, but DANG doesn't he just LOVE the sound of his own voice!

Legendryder
01-22-2010, 06:57 PM
I have a powerpoint presentation due on Sunday about the history of business. I was actually thinking about photoshopping Bob's head into pictures of Kings, peasents, merchants and such. Just a thought.

Darth Denkay
01-23-2010, 02:49 PM
Hey RNguy!

My current degree is psychology - what are you thinking of doing with it??? I'm going to be a psychologist and ideally work with the LGBT community.

My first degree I got was an MLT degree ( microbiology )
My second degree I got was the RN degree
Now my third one is going to be in psychology.
I should have went to med school with all these years I put in geez.
anyways I dread going back in a way and am getting burned out

-RNguy

Legendryder
01-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Well, I got my grade back from my Bob paper. Got a perfect score!!!! Go Bob!!

afrcnqueen
11-23-2015, 11:19 AM
When I was younger, school was about socializing and hanging with friends. Learning was something I had to do while there..lol

Looking forward to it now that i'm going back.

homoe
11-25-2015, 08:32 PM
When I was younger, school was about socializing and hanging with friends. Learning was something I had to do while there..lol

Looking forward to it now that i'm going back.

I went back to school at age 50ish! I LOVED it and learned so much more than I thought I ever would! Granted it did take me a bit longer to get the degree, but at my age where else was I going in a rush!