PDA

View Full Version : California November 2010 Initiatives & Ballot Measures- Have your SAY!

AtLast
09-01-2010, 03:34 PM
Here is a list of what we in CA will be voting on (outside of candidates) to comment on.... FEEL FREE TO COMMENT!

http://www.californiapropositions.org/nov_2010

November 2010 Statewide Initiatives
November 2010 Statewide Ballot Measures:

Proposition 18--California Water Bond Proposition: (Delayed to 2012)

Safe, Clean, and Reliable Drinking Water Supply Act of 2010

Proposition 19--Marijuana Legalization Initiative:

Changes California Law to Legalize Marijuana and Allow It to Be Regulated and Taxed

Proposition 20--Congressional Redistricting Initiative:

Redistricting of Congressional Districts. Initiative Constitutional Amendment.

Proposition 21--Funding for State Parks Initiative:

Establishes $18 Annual Vehicle License Surcharge to Help Fund State Parks and Wildlife Programs and Grants Free Admission to All State Parks to Surcharged Vehicles. Initiative Statute.

Proposition 22--Local Taxpayer, Public Safety and Transportation Protection Act of 2010:

Prohibits the State from Taking Funds Used for Transportation or Local Government Projects and Services. Initiative Constitutional Amendment

Proposition 23--California Jobs Initiative: Suspension of AB 32:

Suspends Air Pollution Control Laws Requiring Major Polluters to Report and Reduce Greenhouse Gas Emissions That Cause Global Warming Until Unemployment Drops Below Specified Level for Full Year. Initiative Statute.

Proposition 24--Repeal Corporate Tax Loopholes Act:

Repeals Recent Legislation That Would Allow Businesses to Carry Back Losses, Share Tax Credits, and Use a Sales-Based Income Calculation to Lower Taxable Income. Initiative Statute.

Proposition 25--Passing the Budget On Time Act:

Changes Legislative Vote Requirement to Pass a Budget from Two-Thirds to a Simple Majority. Retains Two-Thirds Vote Requirement for Taxes. Initiative Constitutional Amendment.

Proposition 26--Stop Hidden Taxes Initiative:

Increases Legislative Vote Requirement to Two-Thirds for State Levies and Charges. Imposes Additional Requirement for Voters to Approve Local Levies and Charges with Limited Exceptions. Initiative Constitutional Amendment.

Proposition 27--Financial Accountability in Redistricting Act:

Eliminates State Commission on Redistricting. Consolidates Authority for Redistricting with Elected Representatives. Initiative Constitutional Amendment and Statute.

SEE WEBPAGE FOR DISCUSSIONS, BLOG LINKS.

http://www.californiapropositions.org/nov_2010

AtLast
09-01-2010, 04:25 PM
PROPOSITION 23

An Initiative to Suspend AB 32, the Global Warming Act of 2006 is on the November 2, 2010 ballot in California.[1]
If it passes, it will suspend AB 32, California's landmark clean air law. [2]

In their campaigns for and against Proposition 23, supporters and opponents have each adopted nicknames for the measure that clarify what they think of it. Supporters call Proposition 23 the California Jobs Initiative and opponents call it the Dirty Energy Proposition.[3]

The goal of the initiative is to freeze the provisions of AB 32 until California's unemployment rate drops to 5.5% or below for four consecutive quarters. However, California has only achieved this three times since 1980. [4] AB 32 requires that greenhouse gas emission levels in the state be cut to 1990 levels by 2020, in a gradual process of cutting that is slated to begin in 2012.[5]

Louise Bedsworth, a research fellow at the Public Policy Institute of California, predicted in April that total campaign spending on this proposition, if it succeeds in gaining a spot on the November ballot, could top the $154 million record set in 2006 by Proposition 87.[6]

Page of Google links for prop 23-
http://www.google.com/search?q=california+prop+23&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7DMUS_en

Toughy
09-01-2010, 06:13 PM
At first glance I see a whole bunch of NO votes. I need my voter book before I decide on any of them.

AtLast
09-01-2010, 11:30 PM
At first glance I see a whole bunch of NO votes. I need my voter book before I decide on any of them.

I hear you. The only yes will probably be the Marijuana initiative for me. And of course, the anti-side is building and getting $! As is true for 23, only that would be the "yes" people.

I hope posters working on any of these and have some good and informed info. will post as we draw closer to the election.

AtLast
09-07-2010, 01:32 PM
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2010/8/22/895135/-Prop-23:-Californias-Future-Fights-Back-Against-Oil-Money

Prop 23: California's Future Fights Back Against Oil Money
by RLMiller
Sun Aug 22, 2010 at 05:41:35 PM PDT
This fall, California voters will vote on Proposition 23, officially termed a "suspension" of California's global warming law (AB32) "until unemployment reaches 5.5%" and named by its supporters a "jobs initiative."

The battle should play out exactly as similar battles over federal climate policies: conservatives claim it'll destroy jobs, raise taxes, and increase family energy costs; environmentalists valiantly-yet-unsuccessfully try to set the record straight, only to be ignored by middle class voters worried about pocketbook issues.

But a funny thing is happening.

The narrative is shaping up to be quite different. The shadowy interests behind Prop 23 are being exposed to the light. And Prop 23 is being opposed by clean technology investors who see a stark choice: build the future or burn the planet.

Consider it evidence of hope.

RLMiller's diary :: ::
In 2006, California passed the California Global Warming Solutions Act, commonly known as AB32, which established the first-in-the-world comprehensive program of regulatory and market mechanisms to achieve real, quantifiable, cost-effective reductions of greenhouse gases. Conservatives have been whining about it ever since it passed; hence, Proposition 23. Officially, it's been placed on the ballot by Assemblymember Dan Logue, who calls it a "jobs initiative." But calling it a jobs initiative doesn't make it true, and calling it Logue's proposition only conceals the out of state dirty energy interests behind Proposition 23.

Behind Proposition 23: Out-of-State Oil and Coal
Who's really paying for Prop 23? Short answer: Valero Energy of Texas, Tesoro of Texas, and Koch Industries of oil/gas/coal/Americans for Prosperity fame.

Valero has given over $4 million of the nearly $6.2 million received by the Yes on 23 campaign, and Tesoro is in for $525,000. A shadowy Missouri conservative group with ties to coal whose spokesman criticizes "liberal politicians" in California with "crazy radical ideas" has donated $500,000, even though last December it only had $109 in its bank account. A ThinkProgress blog post links Koch Industries to the "yes on Prop 23" forces.

A Sunlight Foundation investigation of donations 1998-2008 found that Big Oil's money at the state level goes mostly to influence public, not politicians; money is spent on elections, not contributions. Prop 23 fits that mold.

Opposing Proposition 23: The Future
Of course, environmentalists are appalled by any effort to roll back AB32. However, serious money is coming from other sources. Venture capitalist John Doerr has given $500,000 to the "No" campaign; Farallon founder Tom Steyer has pledged $5 million. Silicon Valley venture capitalist Vinod Khosla states: "Proposition 23 will kill markets and the single largest source of job growth in California in the last two years. Not only that, it'll kill investment in the long term for creating the next 10 Googles." Small wonder that the cleantech industry opposes Prop 23.

In 2009, 40 percent of cleantech venture capital went to California, where some 12,000 companies are working on ways that could help businesses and consumers reduce energy consumption. More than 500,000 people work in the industry, including 93,000 in manufacturing and 68,000 in construction. Clean energy jobs are growing in California at 10 times the statewide average. For job-related reasons, the San Jose Mercury News editorial page urges a no vote.

Big Oil may be meeting its match in Google.

Perhaps sensing a loser, Meg Whitman is waffling on Prop 23.

The fall campaign season hasn't yet started, and optimism may be premature. However, a Proposition 23 defeat would be the first sign of optimism on the climate front I've seen since the climate bill died. The good clean energy jobs are already here in California. Investors know it. Our economy will not only survive regulation of greenhouse gases, it'll flourish. Let's hope the climate peacocks of the United States Senate listen. In the meantime, courtesy of Climate Progress, here's five actions to take:

1.Visit the "No on 23″ website, learn the facts & sign up: Stop Dirty Energy

2.Educate yourself on how California’s climate & energy laws have created companies & jobs: CABrightSpot

3.Tell your friends by email, on Facebook, at work, & everywhere else.

4.Participate in the debate. Write letters to the editor and post comments on blogs & websites.

5.Contribute here. The other side’s leader, right-wing California Assemblyman Dan Logue, has publicly said he expects the oil companies to spend $50 million.

AtLast
09-27-2010, 12:42 PM
UGH.... the anti-19 people are gaining.

There is one criticism they are throwing out there that I would like to know more about. Is there any truth at all to the possibility of the way this prop is written that it could hurt medical growers and dispensers? Anyone with links or articles that talk about this, please post them.

For the life of me, I don't have a clear picture about this and wonder if it isn't some kind of anti-19 ploy. But, I do know that sometimes these things are goofed up by how they are proposed. Thinking of the idiotic open primary legislation in CA now. Many people could have voted for it without understanding that it not a good way to set an open primary up.

I don't want more BS in the way of medical marijuana. [/COLOR][/B]

Anyone have info about things like this U-Tube video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac_F7cYfSUk&feature=player_embedded

AtLast
09-27-2010, 12:58 PM
Here is some info on growers joining forces with teamsters FOR 19-

http://workinprogress.firedoglake.com/tag/marijuana/

Again, please post what you know about this issue.

AtLast
10-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Prop 19 is losing ground. What is going on?