PDA

View Full Version : what do u like about oregon?

FR
09-15-2010, 12:31 AM
--thinking of relocating and oregon-specifically portland area is one of the places on my list. tell me those who live up there-what is it you like about living there? what areas are friendly? non-friendly? i'd appreciate any ideas.

blackboot
09-15-2010, 03:50 AM
I heard that there are poodle-lovers :junesmiley: and a lot of these egg laying friends :farmchicken: and groovy people :mohawk:

Gemme
09-15-2010, 09:31 AM
There's a resort in OR that only has treehouses. I think that's awesome. Also, they have ziplining.

Oh, and OR has SassyLeo and June and Kat, who are pretty damn awesome too.

dreadgeek
09-15-2010, 09:50 AM
--thinking of relocating and oregon-specifically portland area is one of the places on my list. tell me those who live up there-what is it you like about living there? what areas are friendly? non-friendly? i'd appreciate any ideas.

FR:

I've lived in Portland for a decade now (as of last Friday). It is a GREAT place.

As far as specific areas of Portland, Southeast and Northeast Portland are probably the friendliest and most affordable areas that are actually *in* the city of Portland (as opposed to some of the outlying areas). Pretty much anything you want to do you can find it here. There are--and I say this without any hyperbole--some of the finest queer people it has ever been my pleasure or privilege to know (June, Kat, Jenny, Joe, Belinda, et. al. you all know who I'm talking about).

Then there's Powell's books which is, for bibliophiles, a truly religious experience.

Cheers
Aj

BullDog
09-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Awesome bookstores (esp.. Powells), microbrews, coffee shops, rivers, mountains and ocean all very close, queer friendly, friendly people, city size without being overwhelming for a small town kid like me. Lots to do, lots to see, lots of great people- both queer and not.

It's beautiful here.

p.s. it does rain a fair amount. I just wear a hoodie most of the time.

Greyson
09-15-2010, 09:59 AM
When I do get a chance to visit friends in Portland, I am usually rejuvenated from the time spent with friends, my dog and the City of Portland itself. I'm biased. I love the PNW. from Portland to B.C.

Diva
09-15-2010, 10:19 AM
When I came out, it was brutal. I needed to get away to meditate and gain some remnant of peace.

Not sure why I chose it, but I went to the coast of Oregon and stayed in a beachside hotel called Otter's Point (?) or something like that.....it was one of my calmest moments in the coming out process.....

And when I think of a favorite place to 'retire', I think of a small cottage on a cliff, overlooking the ocean in Oregon......

True story.

BullDog
09-15-2010, 10:23 AM
Portland is definitely not as racially diverse as other places I have lived. Also the economy is quite bad here right now. I know of a number of people who have been laid off for over a year and can't find work and others who are still being laid off. Also prospective employers seem to work at a snail's pace compared to other places I have lived. So you do need to prepare for a long wait. If you get a job right away that's a bonus.

I find the cost of living to not be too bad, but I lived in Santa Cruz, CA (not as bad as Bay Area proper but still quite high) and Southern California. If you do have a half way decent income I think your dollars will go far here. I am just a simple butch and don't care about a lot of material things, but I definitely think you can enjoy Portland without having much money at all- as long as you can pay your living expenses.

I love Portland!

SassyLeo
09-15-2010, 10:35 AM
I moved to Portland about 3.5 years ago... thanks to June & Kat :stillheart:, well and I fell in love on first visit :)

As June mentioned, we are very queer/trans/fat/liberal/funky...

There is something queer to do on any given day/night of the week in addition to the many non-queer things to do, which often still involve lots of queer folks.

We have an amazing transportation system (TriMet)!

We are super bike friendly, very caffeinated, very microbrewed, very politically active...

The mountains and beach are close. Lots of hiking, mountain biking. Many dog parks.

We have amazing food here! Lots of foodies. I think we have at least 3 Portland magazines dedicated to food & wine! A fair amount of variety in terms of restaurants (save Chinese, which is awful here).

Also, I am a big lover of fresh produce. I've been doing some research for a work project so I can tell you that, in the state of Oregon, we have: 126 farmers markets and in the Portland metro area, there are 38. We also rank FIFTH in the US for number of registered organic farms. My partner and I often go fruit picking as we have many pick-your-own farms. It is very inexpensive and a fun outdoor activity.

The challenge that most people talk about and that we have been "known" for is the unemployment rate. June/Kat/AJ might have more history on that than I, but I have read and been told that the economy here, in terms of jobs, has been traditionally unstable. Jobs don't pay as much as other places, but the cost of living is relatively low in comparison. I make less money than I did in the bay area, and have learned to be much more frugal, but it is much easier to do because it is cheaper to live here.

I grew up in the bay area, so I am used to sunny and 75 about 70% of the year. I also do love the rain, however this past year, we had close to 6 weeks of constant rain and it was really tough. I have been told this is not normal. But it does rain about 60% of the year.

I love it here and I have no plans to live anywhere else anytime soon (if ever!)

Gemme
09-15-2010, 10:45 AM
For good Chinese, go to WA. :blink:

Kätzchen
09-15-2010, 10:56 AM
I've lived in the greater Portland area (and in S. Oregon, Ashland, for 5 years) for longer than 20 years now and I have totally enjoyed living in Oregon- for various reasons:

-it's gorgeous here!
-the mountains, rivers, lakes and the ocean!
-Portland (Multnomah county) is my kind of political climate
-love, love, love Powell's Books (ditto what Aj said)

But I would say that the number one reason I moved here years ago was to disappear into the landscape and heal from past traumas in life... I like all the amenities that are available to those who live in the Portland area and the aesthetic beauty of the state and the many, many things to go see and do.

IrishGrrl
09-15-2010, 01:47 PM
I went to Roseburg Oregon for a week hiking. I went to Eugene (omg I loved it there) also to the coast. I climbed a mountain and visted twin lakes. Not a soul in sight. It was the most restorative time I've ever had. I want to go back really soon. I need some restoring..When I retire I think Oregon is my place...

girl_dee
09-15-2010, 08:37 PM
I live in Southern Oregon on a beautiful mountain with my awesome butch..

If thats not enough to love Oregon I am not sure what is!

PS Powell's ROCKS!

dark_crystal
09-15-2010, 08:49 PM
I've lived in the greater Portland area (and in S. Oregon, Ashland, for 5 years) for longer than 20 years now and I have totally enjoyed living in Oregon- for various reasons:

-it's gorgeous here!
-the mountains, rivers, lakes and the ocean!
-Portland (Multnomah county) is my kind of political climate
-love, love, love Powell's Books (ditto what Aj said)

But I would say that the number one reason I moved here years ago was to disappear into the landscape and heal from past traumas in life... I like all the amenities that are available to those who live in the Portland area and the aesthetic beauty of the state and the many, many things to go see and do.

i have been in Portland for almost ten hours! i like the train and the weather (i am told i brought the rain tho) and....the Doubletree Hotel. Cuz that is all i have seen so far.

The coffee was good!

The city is cute! i think i could build one with legos. It's the trees.

dark_crystal
09-15-2010, 08:53 PM
I have lived here for most of my adult life, which is a long, long time. We have a really great BF community as well as others. Portland is very crip/fat/Trans friendly. What we are not is very racially diverse.

My google-fu is failing me right now because the last statistics I was able to find are from 2000, which indicates a caucasian population of about 75%. I doubt it's too much lower, but it can be kind of shocking to move here if you are used to a more diverse population.

I have lived in all areas of Portland, N, NW, SE, SW, NE, and have found things to love about all areas. N, NE and SE are definitely less expensive.

Yeah, it rains here, but not as much as in Seattle. We have fewer overcast days than the Bay area and we enjoy moderate temperatures most of the year in that it's unusual for us to have extended days below 30 or over 90. Our humidity is low. Portland is one hour-ish from the mountains or coast and we have two large rivers nearby as well as several smaller ones if you're into rafting, fishing, etc.

We have, as others have mentioned, Powells City of Books, as well as In Other Words, one of the oldest and last Independent Feminist book stores left. Oh, and we have Dirty Queer, a once a month event where people can share their writing and performance stuff.

I have traveled all over the country and abroad, and save for Paris, this is the only city I want to live in.

:hamactor:

how very cool/weird that i am in Portland this week and Paris next week. I am getting a two-week tour of the best of all possible June-worlds!

SimpleAlaskanBoy
09-15-2010, 09:37 PM
Coos Bay is gorgeous
and they make Tillamook cheese and ice cream in Oregon. :)
~SAB

girl_dee
09-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Bandon, Face Rock, Cape Blanco..

Gorgeous..

There are pics on my site link below if anyone wants to peek.

FR
09-17-2010, 08:16 PM
thanks for ther replies folks i will think on them and as always more are welcomed!

TrackerGirl1969
09-25-2010, 10:19 AM
I moved to the outerlying area of Portland about 6 years ago. Moved here from Delaware for a woman. A year and a half later she decided I "wasn't the one" and left me here knowing no one except my kids and a co-worker or two. I've been told many times that I should move back to Delaware, but I won't because I really do love it here. I love the mountains and the coast. I had never seen scenery like this anywhere before. And when I get in a funk, a day at the coast will always recharge my spirit. The city is also nice and I've never felt uncomfortable about being a lesbian here. I have two kids, one who is in college and one who is still in elementary school, and the schools are pretty good in my area also.
To wrap it up, there's a ton of stuff to do, the people are really great, and the scenery can't be beat. :)

weatherboi
09-25-2010, 10:48 AM
June lives there!!!!

atomiczombie
09-25-2010, 11:16 AM
I don't live there, but I like Crater lake, Ashland Shakespeare festival, historic Jacksonville, the Klamath river, and the fact that they pump your gas for you. :D

homoe
04-27-2020, 09:35 AM
Coos Bay is gorgeous
and they make Tillamook cheese and ice cream in Oregon. :)
~SAB

Did someone say ice cream.......:awww:

cathexis
05-02-2020, 01:25 AM
The Fall is cool and pleasant, but Winter in the Willamette Valley made me depressed with all the drizzle that never seemed to stop. Was on a 1 yr student exchange, but was back in Chicago before X-Mas.

What is Spring like?

homoe
05-02-2020, 06:04 AM
The Fall is cool and pleasant, but Winter in the Willamette Valley made me depressed with all the drizzle that never seemed to stop. Was on a 1 yr student exchange, but was back in Chicago before X-Mas.

What is Spring like?

The one and only time I was in Oregon was in fall as well, but from what I saw, I really liked it.
Tho I can totally understand why you'd of headed back to the Windy City....:hangloose:

A. Spectre
05-02-2020, 07:20 AM
So enjoyed the tall grasses lining so much of their beaches, with serpentine paths to and from your destination.

Sat down in a quaint bar and grill in Coos Bay, and much to my surprise, looked up to see the comedian Rosie O'Donnell woman- handling a fish sandwich!

Landing in S.F. and taking US Route 101 (1) all the way to the Oregon border is breathtaking! I recommend it to everyone.

Baby_Yoda
05-02-2020, 10:21 AM
I have several favorites in Oregon from OMSI in Portland to the Ripleys museum in Newport (If memory serves). Central Oregon skiing Mt Bachelor as well as the High Desert Museum. But none of those attractions beats the beauty of nature. A hike to the top of the Multnomah Falls is a must for those able to manage it. For those not able to manage the hike, the view from the bottom is still extraordinary in and of itself.

kittygrrl
05-02-2020, 01:48 PM
I have several favorites in Oregon from OMSI in Portland to the Ripleys museum in Newport (If memory serves). Central Oregon skiing Mt Bachelor as well as the High Desert Museum. But none of those attractions beats the beauty of nature. A hike to the top of the Multnomah Falls is a must for those able to manage it. For those not able to manage the hike, the view from the bottom is still extraordinary in and of itself...

i've never been..i'll have to check it out sometime..Snoqualmie Falls is very beautiful..breathtaking..i love being close enough to feel the spray off the waterfall..

Kätzchen
05-02-2020, 02:55 PM
So enjoyed the tall grasses lining so much of their beaches, with serpentine paths to and from your destination.

Sat down in a quaint bar and grill in Coos Bay, and much to my surprise, looked up to see the comedian Rosie O'Donnell woman- handling a fish sandwich!

Landing in S.F. and taking US Route 101 (1) all the way to the Oregon border is breathtaking! I recommend it to everyone.

That's awesome, Ace. :)

Some favorite destinations in my home state is over on the eastern side of the state: The Blue Mountains, Wallowa Lake, The Painted Hills, and down in southern Oregon -- Ashland, The Siskiyou Range, and in south east sector, it's the Owyhee mountains (Diamond Back Country and fabulous rock hunting).

Baby_Yoda
05-02-2020, 04:27 PM

i've never been..i'll have to check it out sometime..Snoqualmie Falls is very beautiful..breathtaking..i love being close enough to feel the spray off the waterfall..

Being able to feel the spray from a waterfall is great on a warm day... I find it a little odd to bring up a destination in Washington, though, in an Oregon forum.