PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Reasons Why I like / love Austin

durrrrrrrr
09-17-2010, 03:32 PM
Howdy Everyone

I was wondering if anyone / everyone could tell me why you like / love living or visiting Austin Texas

Thanks

scootebaby
09-17-2010, 04:06 PM
i lived there for about a yr...one of my most favorite places ever....clean,beautiful,people were friendly,very diverse,good schools,great history......really really just a beautiful town all around

Gemme
09-17-2010, 04:49 PM
I'm still getting to know Austin (and won't formulate a permanent judgement for a while) but Austin has my two best friends and my butch, which makes me happy. Gas is cheaper here than up North. It's sunny, except for today. I get to wear flip flops every day, if I want to, even if it does rain. The botantical gardens are cool.

Ummmm....bbq is its own food group here?

:blink:

I do wish there was more recycling here though.

Rockinonahigh
09-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Being as I havent had the prilege of visiting Austin I have met Arwen and spoken to Diva as well as reading so many post about the great city.It has plenty of history and some really beautiful ppl liveing there,u folks are very lucky to have such a place to b.

Canela
09-17-2010, 05:23 PM
From the age of 15-19 I spent each summer in the Montopolis neighborhood on Bluebell Circle. My aunt and uncle and their 8 kids adopted me every summer...it was sooo cool to be a part of such a big family and to live in a new place. Back then it was a new subdivision. A great mix of African American and Mexican American families working, growing, interacting. I'd hang out with my cousins at the "resource center". I never knew such a place even existed...like a boy's and girl's club before they were official.

It was the place where I first kissed a boy, yes a boy, learned to play basketball, and rode a bus (public transportation) without an adult accompanying me. Later, each summer I'd have a job, the Marrimont Cafeteria on Guadalupe, Tom Gro groceries on Montopolis Drive and the freedom that my aunt and having a job gave me.

We'd go to Highland Mall and buy cute clothes, my cousin worked at Lilli Rubin's which of course, I had NO knowledge of...we'd go in the dressing rooms and drink wine and act all grown up and sofisticated. Kinda like playing dress up only with wine...lol

I bought my first punk record, Wendy and the Plasmatics, at a funky cool store across from the UT campus...and a long cigarette holder that was to die for to me back then...

You have to understand, I couldn't do anything at all in my little town in South Texas so going to Austin was a VERY BIG DEAL. When I'd get home after every summer I was a big shot for a minute...lol...

Top 10 reasons I Love Austin?

10. I enjoy the "hills" throughout...

9. The way the capitol building sits in the downtown area, landscaping throughout so green and beautiful...Lake Travis and Zilker Park...Hippy Hollow in my younger days...

8. The way UT sits somewhere downtown also...

7. They have a school for the blind there that my son in law will be attending shortly.

6. My daughter will be relocating with him. She will transfer to UT (sniff sniff) and of course, I will follow...(Little Shug<<co-dependent...)

5. I love the bands, 6th street, street music, festivals, MakMan Records and the OPERA!

4. My cousins! and their very large brood! (So much family and love there!)

3. The Austin crowd lives there! (More family and love!)

Just a recap--It's the capitol city of Texas!

2. San Antonio, New braunfels and San Marcos (read outlets) are just an hour or so away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. My baby is a Sr. this year and she wants to go to school there, too.

Keep your fingers crossed y'all!

I have more reasons to love Austin but these are the ones that come to mind at this time...

Diva
12-10-2010, 10:11 AM
Great topic for the city I adore!

My top 10 reasons..............

1. Austin is a rather large city without that large~city feel.

2. It's my hometown!

3. Austin City Limits

4. Willie!

5. Salt Lick BBQ

6. The gorgeous Lady Bird Lake (Colorado River) that runs through the middle of the city.

7. Barton Springs

8. The rugged beauty of our mighty oak trees

9. My tiny neighborhood and my great home for gatherings

10. Austin is the Live Music Capital of the World!!!!

WolfyOne
12-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Austin has some of my favorite friends living in it
And up the highway in San Marcos, it has the biggest Wine Outlet I've ever been in :blink:
Oh, should also mention IKEA

Bèsame*
02-22-2013, 12:01 AM
New reason for loving Austin...

Sam Moon, just opened up there. A girls dream store :)

Lady Pamela
02-22-2013, 12:41 AM
The NO KILL CITY..is awesome!

http://www.austintexas.gov/news/austin-remains-track-no-kill-city

Gemme
02-26-2013, 12:25 AM
New reason for loving Austin...

Sam Moon, just opened up there. A girls dream store :)

Actually, Sam Moon's been here for quite some time.

It is truly a fun place to shop! :)