PDA

View Full Version : NHL Hockey

EnderD_503
10-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Are there any hockey fans around here?

Leafs season starts tonight against the Habs. We'll see if they roll over and die early on again or if they actually manage to do something this year :p

Cowboi
10-07-2010, 03:07 PM
I do like hockey. Nearest team is the Dallas Stars. My BFF took me to a game last year.
We used to have a hockey team here, The Monroe Mocasins (not NHL), but was a blast to go to! it only lasted about 5 years. I was sad.

wolfbittenpoet
10-07-2010, 03:11 PM
Go Lightning! I am fan go when I can. Desperately wanted to play until I realized I had the coordination of a drunken goose on ice.

MaggieBluIze
10-07-2010, 03:19 PM
I :heartbeat: Hockey!!!!!! :)

Linus
10-07-2010, 03:57 PM
I'm a diehard Habs fan. I grew up in Ottawa long before the Senators appeared (but well after the original Ottawa Senators ;) ).

I don't envision that Montreal will get far (they try but rarely get beyond the 1st playoff round).

Kobi
10-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Diehard Bruins fan here. I have hope this year....kinda......sorta......

EnderD_503
10-08-2010, 08:17 PM
Good to see other fans around!

The Leafs beat the Habs 3-2 last night. Off to a good start, so hopefully they can keep it up.

Goofy
10-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I grew up in Detroit, so I'm all about the Red Wings!

torchiegirl
10-08-2010, 09:52 PM
...............go wings!

chefhottie25
10-08-2010, 09:56 PM
after many years in chicago...i am a blackhawks fan. however only being 45 minutes away from detroit, i like to see the red wings do well. i actually go to a few of their games a year.

Softhearted
10-08-2010, 09:56 PM
Go HABS Go!!!! (mautadine!)

Hack
10-11-2010, 03:53 PM
...............go wings!

Yeah, what Torchie said!

Greyson
10-11-2010, 04:51 PM
Go Vancouver Canucks! (Happy Thanksgiving Day to all the Canadians here at BFP.)

EnderD_503
10-12-2010, 07:21 AM
The Leafs gave the Sens a beating on Saturday. A promising start so far, though I'm careful not to get my hopes up. The Leafs of the late 90's are gone, but the last few games suggest another great era might begin. As per usual, if the Leafs, Habs or Sens win the Cup, I'll be more than happy :D They play the Penguins on Wednesday...I'll keep my fingers crossed :p

Goofy
10-12-2010, 12:39 PM
after many years in chicago...i am a blackhawks fan. however only being 45 minutes away from detroit, i like to see the red wings do well. i actually go to a few of their games a year.

yeah, you might have some issues if you run around Detroit in Blackhawks gear :|

Leigh
10-12-2010, 12:48 PM
I love Me some Canucks and My Phoenix Coyotes (who used to be the Winnipeg Jets)

EnderD_503
10-14-2010, 05:41 PM
Can't believe how the beginning of the season is turning out for the Leafs. Three games and three wins, last one against the Penguins. It's been a while since I've seen the Leafs in a top spot in the league. Last time I've seen them like this was in the late 90's, cusp of '00. Hopefully they'll be allowed to develop as a team and they won't start breaking up the team/making crazy trades like Pat Quinn did after the Leafs were close to a cup back then.

wolfbittenpoet
10-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Sorry Habs I know was your homeopener but the Lightning just rock that much.

EnderD_503
10-16-2010, 07:16 PM
So fourth straight win last night for the Leafs this year and they're first in the league right now. I think it may be safe to shout Go Leafs Go with some confidence as I cross my fingers :p

cags
10-16-2010, 07:19 PM
GO CANUCKS!!!!!! :hangloose:

sylvie
10-16-2010, 07:47 PM
HABS fan here! :thumbsup:
most laugh at me when i say that, but s'okay!
i love 'em anyway!

ya know, back when Roy was goalie, i got to meet him, he was pretty cool - went to a HABS game as well, was a pretty awesome time..

anyway, back on track, go HABS go!

bigbutchmistie
10-16-2010, 08:05 PM
Been a Stars fan for years.. With the recent Detroit Signing of my fave player Mike Modano, Im a lil torn now... :) Love the game, and if Mike can win a cup before he retires well tha would be awesome!

Now to go and buy my new #90 Detroit Red Wings Jersey :)

Linus
10-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Interesting to see how things change. Now the Habs are #1 for the League while the Leafs have dropped to #10. Still a lot of games to play before we get to the playoffs..

EnderD_503
11-11-2010, 04:57 PM
And now the Leafs have dropped even lower...weird, weird season:blink:

Linus
11-11-2010, 05:17 PM
And now the Leafs have dropped even lower...weird, weird season:blink:

Weird? I thought it was business as usual. :cheesy:

EnderD_503
11-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Hardy har har :p Well, in their defense they haven't opened a season so...erm..."well" since like 2000... So I guess the winning part was the weird part :p Yeah, yeah, I know I should have known better than to get my hopes up lol

Weird? I thought it was business as usual. :cheesy:

betenoire
11-12-2010, 09:28 PM
uZWxErEbQkY

Go Leafs Go! It's all about the hometown team, kids - win or lose.

Kobi
05-28-2011, 09:13 AM
Boston Bruins advance to the Stanley Cup Finals

Dare to Believe

Can we beat the Canucks?

:|

EnderD_503
05-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Can we beat the Canucks?

:|

Simple answer? Nope, you cannot :D With the entire nation behind them and naming them Canada's team, the Canucks cannot lose now. This country will probably explode if the Canucks win. And they definitely have the skill to do it. They just need to be sure not to choke like they did in the first series against the Black Hawks. But it is comforting to know that even then they beat last years champs, despite two disaster games.

GO CANUCKS GO!

Kobi
05-28-2011, 10:21 AM
Simple answer? Nope, you cannot :D With the entire nation behind them and naming them Canada's team, the Canucks cannot lose now. This country will probably explode if the Canucks win. And they definitely have the skill to do it. They just need to be sure not to choke like they did in the first series against the Black Hawks. But it is comforting to know that even then they beat last years champs, despite two disaster games.

GO CANUCKS GO!

We have a tradition here in the states where the governors of states where teams are fighting for a champoinship bet their team will win and offer something representative of their state as the prize for the winner.

Feel up for the challenge?

Of course I did my homework before extending the challenge LOL.

BOSTON BRUINS VS. VANCOUVER CANUCKS LIFETIME STATS AND FACTS

108 total meetings between Boston and Vancouver with the Bruins boasting a 68-24-15-1 winning record

The Bruins have outscored the Canucks 437-299

Boston posts an all-time 29-17-8-0 record on the road in Vancouver with a 215-172 scoring edge

The B’s are 3-0-1 in their last four meetings with the ‘Nucks

The Canucks have shutout the Bruins just once in their lifetime series — 6-0 on Jan. 15, 1996 in Boston

Two of the last three Bruins wins against Vancouver were shutouts, via Tim Thomas: 1-0 in Vancouver on Oct. 28, 2008, and a 2-0 win on Dec. 21, 2006 in Boston

Thomas is 3-0-0 lifetime against the Canucks, has stopped 97-of-98 shots-against (27-of-28 this past regular season; 31 saves in ’08; and 39 stops in ’06 for his second NHL career shutout) for a grand total of .990 save-percentage (SV%) and 0.33 goals-against average (GAA)

Their last meeting, a 3-1 win in Vancouver, Milan Lucic posted 1-2-3 totals, a team-high plus-3, and 3 shots on goal…
Nathan Horton and Patrice Bergeron also had goals…Tomas Kaberle, David Krejci, and Dennis Seidenberg all posted one assist each
Mark Recchi: 15-11-26 in 32 career games against the Canucks
Milan Lucic: 1-2-3 and 12 shots on net in three games
Nathan Horton: 2-1-3, plus-4 in four games
Michael Ryder: 4-3-7 totals, 22 shots on goal in seven career games
Shawn Thornton: 0-2-2 and 23 PIM in 8 contests versus Vancouver

Linus
05-28-2011, 11:48 AM
Of course, none of those stats mean anything when they still kick your ass! :p

Kobi
05-28-2011, 12:07 PM

LMAO. So true.

I am a die hard, used to disappointment Boston sports fan. We talk big,
sometimes, with our fingers crossed behind our backs cuz we remember things like the ball going thru Buckners legs to cost us a World Series.

So maybe it would be wiser to just hope for a well played series between 2 evenly matched teams who both fought hard to get to the finals?

Linus
05-28-2011, 12:23 PM
That I will agree with. I'm really hoping for a seven game series as that's more enjoyable and suspenseful.

EnderD_503
05-28-2011, 12:59 PM
We have a tradition here in the states where the governors of states where teams are fighting for a champoinship bet their team will win and offer something representative of their state as the prize for the winner.

Feel up for the challenge?

Well, I suppose I could offer up one of those fancy Canadian hockey team quarters :p

:lol2:

That I will agree with. I'm really hoping for a seven game series as that's more enjoyable and suspenseful.

Are you trying to induce heart attacks nation-wide? :|

Kobi
05-28-2011, 06:49 PM
Well, I suppose I could offer up one of those fancy Canadian hockey team quarters :p

I had to look those up....just to make sure you weren't pulling my leg.
Those are kind of cool. Never saw one before.

I can offer you nothing that cool that I can think of. How does salt water taffy grab you? Or a tee shirt? Or a hat?

Linus
05-28-2011, 07:00 PM
I had to look those up....just to make sure you weren't pulling my leg.
Those are kind of cool. Never saw one before.

I can offer you nothing that cool that I can think of. How does salt water taffy grab you? Or a tee shirt? Or a hat?

We can get Salt Water Taffy from New Brunswick. Has to be something unique to Boston. Do they have any of the old time Boston Bruin hockey hats?

Kobi
05-28-2011, 07:23 PM
We can get Salt Water Taffy from New Brunswick. Has to be something unique to Boston. Do they have any of the old time Boston Bruin hockey hats?

Old time Bruin hockey hats....as in baseball caps or Banff knit winter caps?

Linus
05-28-2011, 07:26 PM
Old time Bruin hockey hats....as in baseball caps or Banff knit winter caps?

I was thinking ones with the original logo or something. :)

Kobi
05-28-2011, 07:29 PM
I was thinking ones with the original logo or something. :)

Let me see what I can find and you can decide LOL. You are still in California right?

Linus
05-28-2011, 07:33 PM
Let me see what I can find and you can decide LOL. You are still in California right?

Yup. :) But I can always find something unique from Vancouver to send you via the internet. ;) Maybe something from the Olympics? (hat, mitts or something)

Kobi
05-31-2011, 05:59 AM
Yup. :) But I can always find something unique from Vancouver to send you via the internet. ;) Maybe something from the Olympics? (hat, mitts or something)

Linus,

I have spent 3 days looking at hats.....who knew how many designs and color schemes there were to choose from LOL. I found one I liked....minus the yellow and black look like a bumblebee color scheme.

I'm thinking it will be easier for you to find what you like than for me to create a web page with all the choices available. So let me know.

Is kind of funny in an odd way. Boston is a sports town but hockey doesnt have the same fanaticism as other sports. The main Bruins story heading into Vancouver is how Cory Schneider is from Mass and went to my alma mater. You would think with the Stanley Cup as a prize, they would have a more intense kind of coverage. :|

Here's to a good series :wine:

Linus
05-31-2011, 08:59 AM
Linus,

I have spent 3 days looking at hats.....who knew how many designs and color schemes there were to choose from LOL. I found one I liked....minus the yellow and black look like a bumblebee color scheme.

I'm thinking it will be easier for you to find what you like than for me to create a web page with all the choices available. So let me know.

Is kind of funny in an odd way. Boston is a sports town but hockey doesnt have the same fanaticism as other sports. The main Bruins story heading into Vancouver is how Cory Schneider is from Mass and went to my alma mater. You would think with the Stanley Cup as a prize, they would have a more intense kind of coverage. :|

Here's to a good series :wine:

Oh I expect it will pick up as time goes on. ;)

And definitely hoping it's a great series! :)

musicman
05-31-2011, 09:06 AM
Looks like Winnipeg is going to finally get an NHL team once more :)

Finals start tomorrow. Go Canucks :)

Scorp
05-31-2011, 07:03 PM
http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/upload/yuiupload/1770352317.jpg

Softhearted
05-31-2011, 07:28 PM
Boooooooooo to the big bad Bruins....

Go CANUCKS Go!!!!!!! All the way to the Cup!!!!!!!

CANUCKS CANUCKS CANUCKS CANUCKS!!!!!!!

Kobi
05-31-2011, 07:57 PM
I just found out tonight that Vancouver has never won the cup.

And my Bruins havent won since 1972 - I remember that day. And now I feel old.

So, no matter who wins, I will be happy. :)

Softhearted
06-04-2011, 10:25 PM
Woooohooooo! Canucks 2 Bruins 0
:cheerleader:

Softhearted
06-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Big game tonight!!!! Go CANUCKS Go!!!!! Lets win on the big bad bruins' turf!!!!

(yes, I'm still bitter that the Bruins eliminated my beloved Canadiens :P )

Leigh
06-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Looks like Winnipeg is going to finally get an NHL team once more :)

Finals start tomorrow. Go Canucks :)

I'm one happy boy cuz we got our NHL eam back, yeahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :dance2:

Boooooooooo to the big bad Bruins....

Go CANUCKS Go!!!!!!! All the way to the Cup!!!!!!!

CANUCKS CANUCKS CANUCKS CANUCKS!!!!!!!

I couldn't agree with you more ........... GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woooohooooo! Canucks 2 Bruins 0
:cheerleader:

No doubt about it, Vancouver can & will make it 3-0 tonight **grin**

http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb201/krundog3005/vancouver_canucks_logo_orca.gif

Leigh
06-08-2011, 06:13 PM
Well its Game 4 tonight, Boston against Vancouver .............. after the wild game on Monday night, I can only imagine what tonight will be like :blink:

GO VANCOUVER GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Kobi
06-08-2011, 06:30 PM
I want to know why the home games are being blacked out in Boston. This is sucking big time.

Good games tho I can do without the biting and the concussions. :|

Softhearted
06-09-2011, 01:01 PM
:explode:Noooooooo!!!! C'mon Canucks, don't choke!!!!!!

Softhearted
06-10-2011, 09:09 PM
Go CANUCKS Go!!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!

(looking for a Stanley Cup smiley)

Leigh
06-10-2011, 10:26 PM
Go CANUCKS Go!!!!!!!! WOOOOHOOOO!!!!!

(looking for a Stanley Cup smiley)

Yes we definately need a Stanley Cup smilie :-)

Oh Linus ....................... :canadian:

Softhearted
06-13-2011, 05:08 AM
Tonight is the night!!!!

Go CANUCKS Go!!!! Bring it home!

Janny
06-13-2011, 05:54 AM
Do we dare hope? I'm holding my breath. I don't think I can bear a game seven. GO CANUCKS!

Kobi
06-13-2011, 06:10 AM
http://www.emoticonswallpapers.com/avatar/sports/Boston-Bruins-Logo.gif (http://www.emoticonswallpapers.com/avatars.html)

My guys thrive under pressure.

or

My guys like to do it the hard way.

or

My guys think every hair on my head should be white and it is their job to make it so.

Go Bruins. Force a 7th game.

Softhearted
06-13-2011, 07:33 PM
:worried: :watereyes: :crybaby:

Leigh
06-13-2011, 07:40 PM
I can certainly say that I'm not impressed with the Canucks right now ~ if they choke and lose its their own dang faults **grumbles**

Janny
06-14-2011, 05:04 AM
PLAH. PLAH. PLAH. :(

Kobi
06-15-2011, 05:41 PM
21 minutes until the final game. It's been a great series of terrific hockey on both sides. Is a shame someone has to lose given the talent and skill on both these teams.

Good luck everyone.

Scorp
06-15-2011, 08:53 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/73637/Bruins.jpg

Way to go boys!!! 2011 STANLEY CUP WINNERS!!!...

Linus
06-15-2011, 08:55 PM
Cough *choke* cough

Tim Thomas definitely deserved the MVP!

bigbutchmistie
06-15-2011, 09:34 PM
WOOOOOOO HOOOOOO BOSTON 2011 STANLEY CUP CHAMPS. AS A STARS FAN FOR LIFE I CAN'T STAND VANCOUVER BUT HAND IT TO TIM THOMAS HE WAS THE BETTER GOAL TENDER GREAT JOB GUYS :)

Starbuck
06-15-2011, 10:18 PM
BRUINS WIN!!

Kobi
06-15-2011, 11:41 PM
http://www.emoticonswallpapers.com/avatar/sports/Boston-Bruins-Logo.gif (http://www.emoticonswallpapers.com/avatars.html)

Well done.

Softhearted
06-15-2011, 11:47 PM
I hate the Bruins... grrrrrrrrrrr.....

Gentle Tiger
06-16-2011, 12:01 AM
Way to go Bruins!
I may have left Boston but I still root for the teams.

Linus
06-16-2011, 11:33 AM
Wow. Vancouver is really embarrassing. Rioting for the sake of rioting. Sigh.

Kobi
06-16-2011, 04:58 PM
Wow. Vancouver is really embarrassing. Rioting for the sake of rioting. Sigh.

That was quite scary to watch. Wish I understood the reasons why people did that.

Thankfully, the city of Boston refused to open the Garden for fans to watch the game on the big screen, partly to avoid a large crowd and the potential for misbehavior.

It's sad but is nice to know this sports behavior isnt just done in the USA.

Stitch
06-29-2011, 02:00 AM
You can't completely say the US doesn't riot and do stupid things.
Pittsburgh after winning Superbowl in 2009.
YouTube - ‪Steelers Riot in Oakland Superbowl XLIII‬‏

Well I am going to go against the grain.
I am a Canucks fan and I do live in Vancouver.
I love my Canucks, I grew up watching them.

A lot has been said trashing Vancouver for what
happened after the Stanley Cup, but no one ever talks about
how the city actually helped volunteer to clean up.
There was also Facebook sites created to help tag people
who participated in the riots and hold them accountable. Vancouver isn't happy with what some people in Vancouver decided to do that night.

-----

Anyway, back to hockey.

Linus
10-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Time to dust this off. Will the Bruins repeat last year or will Vancouver finally do it? it's interesting that dynasties in sports is far more rarer than before..

Anyone watching the pre-season games?

Slater
10-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Time to dust this off. Will the Bruins repeat last year or will Vancouver finally do it? it's interesting that dynasties in sports is far more rarer than before..

Anyone watching the pre-season games?

No way the Bruins repeat, too much of a Cup hangover. In the East I think the big questions are what is going to happen with Crosby and do the Caps implode or do they give themselves one more chance to make the leap and become something more than a regular season wonder. They should have taken the C away from Ovie a couple years ago. Now it's a little late and they just have to hope he grows into it.

In the West, if I'm a Vancouver fan I'm equally worried about Luongo's softness and the Sedin's playoff disappearing act. No way can they win while dealing with both of those. Chicago should rebound from their hangover year, and the Wings have one more Cup run in them if they can stay healthy. Zetterberg's injury really hurt them in the playoffs last year. Franzen's too. They need to have one of those guys scoring.

Go Wings!

EnderD_503
10-03-2011, 01:53 PM
I've been keeping my eye on the Jets quite a bit, and am really looking forward to seeing how they do. They're preseason games have looked impressive.

Toronto...Phaneuf has shown some spark in his leadership role during the preseason, which is encouraging. There are some new blood on the team that I've got some high hopes for as well. But I've also heard talk in the newspapers that Burke would consider trading new guys for well established forwards...and that's exactly what the Leafs' problem has been since the late 90's, so hopefully they'll smarten up.

As for the Canucks, we'll just have to wait and see whether they're focused enough to head back to the Cup final.

Leigh
10-03-2011, 02:29 PM
All I gotta say is ..........

**~GO JETS GO~**

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/Daniel_Sedin_22/wpg.png

EnderD_503
10-07-2011, 09:40 PM
First game of the season and the Leafs actually won 2-0...first opening game shutout since 2001. They should definitely stick with Reimer in net.

Ranger Butch Force
10-08-2011, 01:00 AM
I'm a Ducks fan, live with a Red Wing fan, but I think that the Penguins might take it this year.

Linus
10-08-2011, 01:53 AM
First game of the season and the Leafs actually won 2-0...first opening game shutout since 2001. They should definitely stick with Reimer in net.

Eh. It's early in the season. They still have time to choke. ;)

Kings beat the Rangers in OT in Stockholm. Was a good game and Quick was definitely performing well. It'll be interesting to see if he is more stable this year. I watched some of the pre-season and Philly has some possibilities. Their trades during the off-season suggest some possibilities.

I don't know if the Penguins will take it this year. Might be a bit of a longshot. Boston still has one of the best goalies around and some decent offense.

I would love to see Vancouver try again this year (as I know my favs, the Habs, suck and will suck this year again!)

bigbutchmistie
10-08-2011, 02:35 AM
I am a huge Dallas Stars fan. I am so proud of their 2-1 win tonight over Chicago Blackhawks. :)

They are looking really good. If they can keep it up they will be hell to contend with in the playoffs. I am excited to see what will happen.

I just wished someone would buy them already. :)

EnderD_503
10-08-2011, 11:39 AM
Eh. It's early in the season. They still have time to choke. ;)

Way to stomp on my early season/pre-disaster hopes :p

I would love to see Vancouver try again this year (as I know my favs, the Habs, suck and will suck this year again!)

Same here as far as Vancouver. The Habs aren't doing well so far as far as pre-season/first games. Which does suck, cause they're usually the ones I look to in the early playoffs. Before they dash all of eastern Canada's hopes...

I'm actually really interested in how the Jets will do this year. It would be amazing to see them come in and kick up a storm their first season back in the league.

I'm a Ducks fan, live with a Red Wing fan, but I think that the Penguins might take it this year.

Meh, I find it doubtful. No doubt they'll make a good run, but I can't see them winning the Cup.

Kelz
10-09-2011, 08:45 AM
As a devoted Leafs fan I'm happy with their impressive 2-0 start. Although yesterday's game against the Sens, I thought with their 5-1 lead it shouldn't have ended 6-5 but thanks to Kessel and his hat trick they still pulled off the win.

As a hockey fan, I'm definitely watching the Jets season opener after my football game. Those Peggers are serious about their hockey.

So good to see so many sports forums on BFP! :)

Kelz
10-09-2011, 08:47 AM

Couldn't agree more! Go leafs go!

EnderD_503
10-10-2011, 02:43 PM
As a devoted Leafs fan I'm happy with their impressive 2-0 start. Although yesterday's game against the Sens, I thought with their 5-1 lead it shouldn't have ended 6-5 but thanks to Kessel and his hat trick they still pulled off the win.

As a hockey fan, I'm definitely watching the Jets season opener after my football game. Those Peggers are serious about their hockey.

So good to see so many sports forums on BFP! :)

Another Torontonian on BFP. Our numbers increase! :D

Agree on the Leafs vs. Sens game. Then again, that's the Leafs up to their usual tricks. Big leads...big giveaways. I'm glad they still managed to put that one away, though.

As for the Jets, it's too bad they suffered such a huge loss on their big night. As much as I love the Habs, it would have been great to see the Jets win their first game or at least end in a tie. But the Habs played great and deserved that win. The Jets defense really need to work on their game. Not a stellar performance on their part.

Hack
10-10-2011, 03:58 PM
Lifelong Red Wings fan. Though, I go to more Carolina Hurricanes games than anything because my sister's law firm has season tickets. So, whenever I am in Raleigh during hockey season and it's a home game, we go.

I'm still highly distracted by the MLB playoffs...but once baseball is gone :( I will be focused on hockey.

Jake

Apocalipstic
10-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Hey, what about the Predators??? Awesome win!

Kelz
10-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Another Torontonian on BFP. Our numbers increase! :D

Agree on the Leafs vs. Sens game. Then again, that's the Leafs up to their usual tricks. Big leads...big giveaways. I'm glad they still managed to put that one away, though.

As for the Jets, it's too bad they suffered such a huge loss on their big night. As much as I love the Habs, it would have been great to see the Jets win their first game or at least end in a tie. But the Habs played great and deserved that win. The Jets defense really need to work on their game. Not a stellar performance on their part.

You're from Toronto too? Right on! And a Habs fan? Ouch LOL. I agree with you a tie would be better than a 5-1 loss. Then again, this is after all the former Thrashers team that wasn't the greatest to begin with. It was nice to see the fans happy despite the loss sorta reminds me of Leafs fans lol.

EnderD_503
10-18-2011, 02:37 PM
You're from Toronto too? Right on! And a Habs fan? Ouch LOL. I agree with you a tie would be better than a 5-1 loss. Then again, this is after all the former Thrashers team that wasn't the greatest to begin with. It was nice to see the fans happy despite the loss sorta reminds me of Leafs fans lol.

Leafs fan, but I also have a soft spot for the Habs and the Sens, and since the Leafs have been no show in the playoffs the last few years, I've stuck with rooting for the other two. My family's French so I've got no problems with the Habs the way Torontonian Anglos do ;)

Anyways, it's been a good run for the Leafs so far! I'm actually getting a bit hopeful, they're really coming together well as a team and Reimer, Kessel and Lyles are stellar so far. Even if they lost their last game in OT to the Aves, the Aves have a pretty strong team so I think it's saying something about this year's Leafs that they just about managed to steal that game from under their noses.

Feeling really bad for the Jets cause I wanna see them succeed, but I think they'll be adding another loss come tomorrow night's game against the Leafs.

Starbuck
10-18-2011, 06:32 PM
My Boston Bruins are 3 wins and 2 losses for the season thus far, not too great if you ask me. But there's a lot of hockey left to play. I'm just excited I get to see them play in Dallas on New Years Eve when they play the Stars, that's gonna be a blast!

EnderD_503
10-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Well, the Leafs suffered their first big loss last night to Boston, but I'm still feeling pretty good about this season. Out of 6 games they've won 4, lost one in OT and still getting a point from it at least, and then the loss to Boston last night. If they can keep this up, they'll be doing pretty well this year. At least much better than they have throughout the 2000s.

I'm hoping this will give the Leafs coaching staff a heads up to keep Gustavsson firmly benched. I don't think it's complete coincidence that with him back in net, the Leafs ended up with that many in the back of the net. Weak goaltending...get it off the ice. Reimer, on the other hand, has already proven this year that he can keep the gates shut when the Leafs are in a tight spot.

Linus
10-21-2011, 10:52 AM
Well, the Leafs suffered their first big loss last night to Boston, but I'm still feeling pretty good about this season. Out of 6 games they've won 4, lost one in OT and still getting a point from it at least, and then the loss to Boston last night. If they can keep this up, they'll be doing pretty well this year. At least much better than they have throughout the 2000s.

I'm hoping this will give the Leafs coaching staff a heads up to keep Gustavsson firmly benched. I don't think it's complete coincidence that with him back in net, the Leafs ended up with that many in the back of the net. Weak goaltending...get it off the ice. Reimer, on the other hand, has already proven this year that he can keep the gates shut when the Leafs are in a tight spot.

You can't have Reimer doing all the games. He'll burn out before they get to the Playoffs. Additionally, Gustavsson wasn't solely responsible for all those goals. As a former goalie, if those in front of me aren't doing their job (aka defense and scoring) there is only so much a goalie can do (he faced 43 shots on net compared to Thomas who had 28). Additionally, there were a lot of stupid penalties.

And the Bruins shut down Kessel since they knew what he was like. Even the Leafs admit to allowing too many turnovers. (see here, last paragraph: http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2011020080&cmpid=ggl1bx )

EnderD_503
10-22-2011, 08:23 AM
You can't have Reimer doing all the games. He'll burn out before they get to the Playoffs. Additionally, Gustavsson wasn't solely responsible for all those goals. As a former goalie, if those in front of me aren't doing their job (aka defense and scoring) there is only so much a goalie can do (he faced 43 shots on net compared to Thomas who had 28). Additionally, there were a lot of stupid penalties.

And the Bruins shut down Kessel since they knew what he was like. Even the Leafs admit to allowing too many turnovers. (see here, last paragraph: http://www.nhl.com/ice/recap.htm?id=2011020080&cmpid=ggl1bx )

It's game 6 of the season. There wasn't such a huge risk of burning out Reimer that they had to throw away all strategy in putting in Gustavsson against Boston of all teams. It was poor strategy and poor decisions in this team aren't exactly counter to history. When a goalie lets in two goals in barely more than a minute's time and three goals in the span of five minutes...there's a goaltending issue. If they're going to rest Reimer then they should realise Gustavsson has never been a strong goalie (Gustavsson himself acknowledges he's been doing a shit job), and they would have been better off bringing up a back up from the minors than even keeping Gustavsson as the official backup. The more a team is in the hole, often the more stupid penalties players take and the more enforcers step up which never really helps.

Not to mention poor decisions in other line shuffling: inserting Kadri is a poor choice. Inserting Rosehill instead of MacArthur is a poor choice. Another attribute of a poor Leafs team this last decade...not allowing lines to solidify and work together, but pointless shuffling when current lineups are working well. Every time they get the opportunity to insert Kadri because he's supposedly the "new up and comer" yet it doesn't translate into consistent contribution. Instead they've got real "new up and comers" who are doing a better job. So yeah, neither Gustavsson and his poor goaltending nor the staff who made these decisions get any sympathy from me :p They need to stick with what worked the last 5 games.

EnderD_503
10-22-2011, 08:33 AM
Jonas Jerebko, apparently a Detroit Pistons player (can you tell I don't know shit about basketball? :p) tries to play hockey...hilarity ensues:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=35&id=129694

Kelz
10-23-2011, 09:08 AM
I think Reimer should have played against Boston. It was only game 6. Although the Leafs defense was horrible that game anyway and Boston was desperate for a win.

They won against the Habs which is great especially on their turf :) The game was tight and it looks like Grabovski is finally back! And Kessel... MAN the guy is on fire!

EnderD_503
10-23-2011, 09:52 PM
Yeah, definitely great to see the Leafs get a win last night. I hope Reimer recovers well, though. They say that they'll be calling up Ben Scrivens from the Marlies if Reimer's a no go for tomorrow, so it'd kind of be interesting to see him play. But ugh...in a game against Philly? Fingers crossed and the Leafs are able to rally together and pull off a big win against the Flyers. That would really cement a good start to the season.

I think calling up another back up was a good call, though. At this point Gustavsson just seems to be going from bad to worse. He got them through last night against the Habs, but didn't inspire too much confidence. I feel bad for the guy, but damn...he's really not giving fans too much to go on.

On another note...ditto on Grabovski and Kessel. Kessel really is on fire this season, it'll be interesting to see how he ends up ranking in goalscoring...cause its been like 1+ goals for him so far minus the Boston fiasco.

I'm also really loving Liles. He's definitely turning into a favourite. That was a smart acquisition on the Leafs' part.

Kelz
10-27-2011, 08:53 PM
They definitely didn't play well at all against the Phillies. Horrible game the defense wasn't there for the Leafs.

Reimer is still out and the Leafs managed a win today against the Rangers however it didn't look like it after the first period. Much better game, they looked well rested and their passes were clean and the defense was solid after the first. I have to admit Gustavsson is holding down the fort!

I agree with you Liles is really good along with Gardiner, young kid. Well they come back home to face the Penguins on Saturday hope for another win!

EnderD_503
10-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Good win against the Rangers last night for sure. I hope Reimer's good for Sunday, though. The Pens game Saturday without him is going to be tough. Also hoping Kessel's good to go. Two too many key players injured for my liking! :p

Kelz
10-31-2011, 06:33 PM
Good win against the Rangers last night for sure. I hope Reimer's good for Sunday, though. The Pens game Saturday without him is going to be tough. Also hoping Kessel's good to go. Two too many key players injured for my liking! :p

Agreed! They played well Saturday but what happened last night? Against the Sens? Oh boy. It's games like that they need to win.

Kosmo
11-07-2011, 09:05 PM
http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e295/friz005/Wings.jpg

EnderD_503
11-07-2011, 09:41 PM
Ugh, Bruins playing style always seems to stump the Leafs, or record history has way too much sway on confidence when it comes to playing them. Bruins aren't exactly playing well this season, but every time the Leafs play them it's like they forget how to play hockey.

Anyways, it's all good. They've still been doing well lately and beating teams of a high caliber. As long as they can keep doing that, occasional losses to teams like Boston is fine. They've got a few games coming up that will probably be easy wins for them, Florida and St. Louis aren't exactly spectacular these days. Might be a good time to test Scrivens out some more if Reimer's not healed by then.

I do wish Reimer would hurry up and heal, though :p Also, good job by Ben Scrivens the other day against Columbus. For his first NHL game it looked pretty fucking promising!

EnderD_503
11-09-2011, 07:55 AM
Ugh. The reality of being a goalie is that you need to have the ability to keep your team in the game even when your team isn't on their A game. Gustavsson really doesn't have that ability at all. 3 goals in on 21 shots isn't what the Leafs need right now. And against the Panthers of all fucking teams.

Please don't let this be the point in the reoccurring story where the Leafs play amazingly and then suddenly decide to take a nosedive that disappoints hopeful fans yet again...

Deirdre
12-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Hockey lover, here!

I have a few favorite teams: the Canucks, the Wild, and the Blackhawks. I try to catch a Habs game here and there, as well. Canucks are my #1 however.

Here in Portland we have a minor league (WHL) team, The Portland Winterhawks. Not the greatest team ever, but in a city with no NHL franchise, it's nice to be able to go out and see a game.

Recently, the Canucks pulled their main goaltender, Luongo, for a few games and were using their backup, Cory Schneider. A lot of people were upset about that, but Schneider has done fantastic for someone not having much ice-time with the Canucks. He even had 2 consecutive shutouts a few games back. Unfortunately, Schneids had a bad start last night, so they stuck Luongo back in the net at 2nd period. It was a pretty intense game (surprisingly), but in the end we lost 6-5 against *deep breath* The Predators. Blah.

stephfromMIT
08-25-2012, 12:43 AM
I grew up in Boston, so I'm a Bruins fan. Went to college in Pittsburgh, followed the Pens. They play in Boston over Turkey weekend, and again before Christmas. Which game should I go to?

Linus
08-25-2012, 07:29 AM
Well, I think the better question will be is: are they going to strike or be locked out? http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2012/8/23/3263392/nhl-lockout-2012-nhlpa-cba-christmas

stephfromMIT
08-25-2012, 10:46 AM
Linus-Completely forgot about this! :smh: Can't believe they'd kill the golden goose after the disasterous lost season awhile back!

Leigh
08-25-2012, 11:21 AM
I'd go to Pittsburgh ~ not a Bruins fan at all lol

I'm ALL about my Winnipeg Jets :D

I will NOT be a happy girl if they lock the players out *grumble*