PDA

View Full Version : Camping anyone?

sinfulcindy
10-17-2010, 08:51 PM
Anyone like to camp? Rv'ing?
Rainbow Ranch?

katsarecool
10-17-2010, 09:08 PM
I love camping!!! Wish I had a camping buddy wanting to camp up somewhere in the Blue Ridge Mts?

Jesse
10-17-2010, 09:35 PM
I love to camp and I am so ready to go now that it has cooled off a bit outside!

Kobi
10-17-2010, 10:32 PM
I will probably lose my dyke documents for this but my idea of camping is a well equiped suite at the Marriott with room service, a valet, and hot tub. I can also ruff it and go without the hot tub. :nyahnyah:

Daktari
10-18-2010, 01:09 AM
I'm a camper too!

We bought a new tent this year, the first that either of us has ever had that one can stand up in with head room to spare. What luxury.

katsarecool
10-18-2010, 01:32 AM
Well that is a few of us so far!!!

naturlover_52
10-18-2010, 11:39 AM
well I am on the west coast and U all seem to be on the east. What I really wanna do is a camping and fishing trip.

thanks
:bunchflowers::seeingstars::hangloose:

princessbelle
10-18-2010, 11:44 AM
It's perfect camping weather right now. Nice warm days, nice cool nights. Warming up 'round that campfire and watching the sparks float up...looks like stars in the black background. The sound of nearby water perhaps. Hunting for that flashlight in the middle of the night to go potty. Lookin for those warm socks I know i packed. Sounds of rustling leaves, nature...time to think and clear out the mind and get back to basics of life....yummy. The food...any food...always tastes better. And of course a car battery friendly curling iron is a must. ;)

*sighs...I miss camping.

The_Lady_Snow
10-18-2010, 11:58 AM
It's perfect camping weather right now. Nice warm days, nice cool nights. Warming up 'round that campfire and watching the sparks float up...looks like stars in the black background. The sound of nearby water perhaps. Hunting for that flashlight in the middle of the night to go potty. Lookin for those warm socks I know i packed. Sounds of rustling leaves, nature...time to think and clear out the mind and get back to basics of life....yummy. The food...any food...always tastes better. And of course a car battery friendly curling iron is a must. ;)

*sighs...I miss camping.

*ahem*

"Clip Clop"

;)

princessbelle
10-18-2010, 12:06 PM
*ahem*

"Clip Clop"

;)

music also goes quite wonderful with the sounds of nature.

Just sayin.....

SnackTime
10-18-2010, 12:25 PM
<chuckling>

ravfem
10-18-2010, 01:01 PM
ask Rlin what happened the last time i camped.

Next time, i'll be camping right next door to Kobi!

Will even rough it by drinking hotel coffee.

:moonstars:

Daktari
10-18-2010, 01:58 PM
well I am on the west coast and U all seem to be on the east. What I really wanna do is a camping and fishing trip.

thanks
:bunchflowers::seeingstars::hangloose:

...and I'm on the North West coast of the UK so just a tad too far for a camping trip sadly. ;)

lipstixgal
10-18-2010, 02:13 PM
No camping here got Lyme's disease real bad from being in the woods in Catskills so nope just a hotel with a nice bed and a hot tub!!

sinfulcindy
10-19-2010, 12:39 AM
I'm a camper too!

We bought a new tent this year, the first that either of us has ever had that one can stand up in with head room to spare. What luxury.

awwww! that"s really cool!!! hope you have years of enjoyment in it!!!

sinfulcindy
10-20-2010, 06:09 PM
Happy Campers wanted!!!!

Camp fires hanging out lost in a new adventure!
Time to be there by and time to leave is the
Only thing planned!!! Cooking out
Star gazing!!!! Playing with our babies!
Cards, dominos, scrabble! Or just watching
A movie,

We (my better half and I) by no means
Rough it!! We sleep in comfort! Our
Mattress is even heated! Oh and we have
Room service that consist of me baking
Fresh baked cookies or whatever!! Lol!!!

The only rule is RELAX and ENJOY
The moment!!!

Billy
10-20-2010, 06:21 PM
My new favorite thing to do :) Sorry I waited so long to try camping out !

dixie
10-20-2010, 06:25 PM
I love camping. I usually keep a tent, camp chairs and even a screen room thingy in the trunk of my car...lol

sinfulcindy
10-20-2010, 06:51 PM
I love camping. I usually keep a tent, camp chairs and even a screen room thingy in the trunk of my car...lol

Too cute!! Love the idea yer so prepared!!
We just got rid of our sunroom!
*darn pain in the beeeeehind!* lol!

sinfulcindy
10-20-2010, 06:53 PM
My new favorite thing to do :) Sorry I waited so long to try camping out !

Congratulations!!!!

LipstickLola
10-20-2010, 06:56 PM
Happy Camper :)

sinfulcindy
10-20-2010, 07:15 PM
Anyone know of any cool places
In N. TX???

Share your funny camping stories!!!

PearlsNLace
10-22-2010, 02:48 PM
Does anyone know of a good place to camp around knoxville TN? Thanks.

lipstixgal
10-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Its so Lyme infested around here that I would not go camping in NJ/NY or CT I had it and it ruined me too tired and sick all the time with colds, flu and bronchitis no camping for me.

Glenn
10-22-2010, 03:43 PM
It's been great camping weather here in the National Indiana Lakeshore Dunes! I had a big fire last night, and there's no mosquitoes, plenty of fishing and beachcombing!

JakeTulane
10-22-2010, 04:24 PM
The season is nearly over here in Upstate NY. Right now it is perfect during the day.. as far as temps. However, at night.. the sleeping is pretty cold. Good weather for a fire... however, when is it not good weather for that? I have tried Winter camping a couple of times.. let us just say.. all it took was a couple of times.. and I am just able to say I did it.. and remember the experience well. laughs.

I can not wait for next season. One of My favorite spots here is up near the Alexandria Bay area.. and also a place called Black Lake in the Adirondacks. I used to go there alot when I was young with My maternal grandparents.

Which reminds Me of a funny camping story. The first fish I ever caught was a Northern Pike. Now mind you they are large and have sharp pointed teeth. We (My grandparents and My aunt and uncle) were fishing on a bass boat. Which as we all know are pretty level to the top of the water. I hooked that fish on a fake worm and was trying to reel it in.. and as fast as I went.. it would pull more line out.. finally I hollared to My gramps and asked him to help (I seriously thought this fish was going to pull Me out of the boat).. My gramps.. just said "you landed it, you have to reel it in". Well My gram was nonplussed and said "Joe, that fish is going to take her overboard" and gave him the "look". Finally, he came over to help Me. However, by the time he did I had it nearly to the side of the boat. That is one of My fondest memories of camping when I was young and also one of the funniest.

roy g biv
10-22-2010, 05:14 PM
My niece said she will sell me her RV when she gets sick of it.

Meanwhile, I sleep in my car when I take a trip. I took out the back seat and put in a Serta Perfect Sleeper, no kidding. Recently I took out my front passenger seat and put in a camping toilet. I assembled a tent-like apparatus inside the car which I can easily disassemble in order to drive. All this inside of a tiny Honda Civic. I have slept in the country, cities, towns, highways.

roy g biv
10-22-2010, 05:28 PM
Rainbow Ranch?

What is Rainbow Ranch?

katsarecool
10-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Does anyone know of a good place to camp around knoxville TN? Thanks. .
I do not have a good grasp of of your state so please forgive me if I get this wrong. Western NC and North East Georgia have hundreds of good camp sites most along the Blue Ridge and Smokie Mountains!!! Literally hundreds of state and national parks. Just have to hide your food up on the pole though. The black bears are thieves! Have you ever walked the Applachian Trail? Not sure how far that is from Knoxville though. It is the perfect time for camping in this area and I would give anything to find some camping buddies and hit the road for campfire, fishing, ghost stories and Somemores fun!!!

sinfulcindy
10-22-2010, 09:58 PM
What is Rainbow Ranch?

Rainbow Ranch is I think 2-4hrs south
Of Dallas,TX it's outside if Grosbeck(not
Sure on the spelling!!)

It's family owned and operated so fun
Always something going on there!!
Just a happy kind of place!!!

sinfulcindy
10-22-2010, 10:02 PM
It's been great camping weather here in the National Indiana Lakeshore Dunes! I had a big fire last night, and there's no mosquitoes, plenty of fishing and beachcombing!

Beachcombing?????

In Indiana??? I grew up in Sounthern CA!
And there are beaches there!! *grinning*

Blade
10-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Does anyone know of a good place to camp around knoxville TN? Thanks.

Indian Boundary

Bald River Falls

Chilhowee

Bard
10-25-2010, 08:51 PM
Camping is always a good time tents in the summer cabins in the winter the places in old forge are amazing. my girl and my kiddo both indulge me in this heck I make a good campfire to next trip is planned for my birthday

WhiteTigress
10-25-2010, 08:55 PM
And of course a car battery friendly curling iron is a must. ;)

PB,

Why haven't you found out about butane powered curling and straightening irons. I have several curlers (one in my travel bag, one in the bathroom, one at the office...) and one straightener. Their made by Conair. They use replaceable thermacells.

WT

WhiteTigress
10-25-2010, 09:08 PM
Rainbow Ranch is I think 2-4hrs south
Of Dallas,TX it's outside if Grosbeck(not
Sure on the spelling!!)

It's family owned and operated so fun
Always something going on there!!
Just a happy kind of place!!!
It's about 3 hours outside of Dallas. Yes, in Groesbeck area. Takes about 4 hours to drive from Houston. We've stayed there in a cabin once, in the summer, and twice in a truck-mounted tent. I bring all the luxuries. The tent is custom fitted to the truck, and the mattress fits around the wheel-wells. I bring a pop-up canopy, and we place it over the picnic table they provide for each site. I bring thermo-electric coolers, real dishes, totes that convert to sink basins, lanterns, a dining table, chairs, battery-operated candles, music, etc. We have candle-lit dinners. Sound kinda nice for camping, huh?

I've also got a 8'x16' regular tent, a queen-size air mattress that takes sheets just like a regular bed. I bring all the other things listed above, plus carpeting for the inside of the tent, 400 thread-count sheets, comforter, equipment to make a nightstand and drawer for my things...

Oh, and I forgot that I rig-up a window unit A/C into the regular tent, when the weather is warmer. We've even built a privacy screen and our own "kitty-litter" powered porta-privvy.

We don't suffer much when we camp.

WT

jelli
08-08-2011, 05:07 AM
Anyone planing on any camping trips?

We just went camping/kayaking for a week @ New River State Park in NC. Hoping to do some fall wknd trips.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j17/jellibe/267438_10150217541080614_700790613_7485854_2800922 _n.jpg

Medusa
08-08-2011, 06:52 AM
Camping! I must have forgotten about this thread :)

Jack and I love to camp but had to sell our trailer before we moved from Los Angeles. It was a 24-foot Fleetwood and we loved taking it out and enjoying nice weekends at the lake. We've decided that we won't buy another trailer for a while so I've been working on building up our camping equipment.

This weekend I went yard-saling with Riverboi and picked up a Coleman "Powerhouse" lantern for $5!! These are usually in the $100 range so I was tickled about it! Also picked up a screened enclosure to put over the picnic table area to keep out the mosquitos at Sam's a few weeks ago and have lots of other gear already.

I have several sizes of dutch ovens and have practiced making different things in them over the years. CAN'T WAIT for cooler weather so we can make fires and cook and fish!!

jelli
08-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Camping! I must have forgotten about this thread :)

Jack and I love to camp but had to sell our trailer before we moved from Los Angeles. It was a 24-foot Fleetwood and we loved taking it out and enjoying nice weekends at the lake. We've decided that we won't buy another trailer for a while so I've been working on building up our camping equipment.

This weekend I went yard-saling with Riverboi and picked up a Coleman "Powerhouse" lantern for $5!! These are usually in the $100 range so I was tickled about it! Also picked up a screened enclosure to put over the picnic table area to keep out the mosquitos at Sam's a few weeks ago and have lots of other gear already.

I have several sizes of dutch ovens and have practiced making different things in them over the years. CAN'T WAIT for cooler weather so we can make fires and cook and fish!!

We only tent camp, but have talked of a camper when it finally hurt to get off our bed on the tent floor. lol

Dutch Oven recipes... for the love of all things glittery do I have the hook up. We have not been disappointed with one recipe yet.

http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/dutch-oven-recipes.htm#Recipes

hachiebutch
08-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Rainbow Ranch in Grosebeck,TX has a
Women's weekend the 3rd weekend
Of September!

We have alot of family there with our
"Ranch Family"!!! We leave our trailer
There!!

It's our home away from home!!!!
Come check it out!!!

hachiebutch
08-08-2011, 07:41 AM
Alot of FUN!!!!

Medusa
08-08-2011, 07:49 AM
TY for the link Jelli! We love to cook with our dutch ovens. Jack is a survivalist (not quite to the level of "insane" yet but working on it) and likes to have "no electricity" meals so we can be prepared for the impending zombie invasion (good grief!).

I've done several kinds of chicken, pot roast, and cobblers so far and all have been really good. I never knew how expensive the ovens are so now I try to look for good ones at yard sales and such. We have a super huge one, another large one and a baby one that is good for dessert cooking. I'm on the lookout for a medium one right now!

hachiebutch - That sounds like a LOT of fun and it isn't too far from us. Maybe one of these days we'll check it out! I've been threatening to bring the guitar and sing some old Indigo Girls so this would be a good place to stretch the chords!

MsTinkerbelly
08-08-2011, 07:58 AM
We are off to Santee Lakes this coming Friday night.

We used to tent camp, but I am old and creaky and I need a bed in order to move the next day. We have a 26ft Craftsmen RV that sleeps 6 easily and is lovely when bad weather hits; and when the bugs are swarming we can cook and still retain some sanity.

I love to camp and fish, and Kasey always manages to get her Kayak out on a lake or river when the weather is good. We would love to camp with people from this area sometime! PM me....

jelli
08-08-2011, 07:59 AM
TY for the link Jelli! We love to cook with our dutch ovens. Jack is a survivalist (not quite to the level of "insane" yet but working on it) and likes to have "no electricity" meals so we can be prepared for the impending zombie invasion (good grief!).

I've done several kinds of chicken, pot roast, and cobblers so far and all have been really good. I never knew how expensive the ovens are so now I try to look for good ones at yard sales and such. We have a super huge one, another large one and a baby one that is good for dessert cooking. I'm on the lookout for a medium one right now!

Cruel is a survivalist/minimalist. I think I about gave her a stroke the first time she ever took me camping. I had everything, but the kitchen sink. That's almost not an exaggeration. lol

Now several years later, I can pack more towards her style except food. she's not allowed to mess with my food and I will not take so much other stuff. She also bought me kitchen sinks. LOL

http://images.cabelas.com/is/image/cabelas/s7_518320_999_01?rgn=0,0,1872,1317&scl=4.926315789473684&fmt=jpeg&id=1ZbiymkgC67PVuKW0Wut-Z

http://www.cabelas.com/backcountry-essentials-sea-summit-kitchen-sink-2.shtml?WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=become&WT.z_mc_id1=1151576&rid=40&mr:referralID=42ec9548-c1c6-11e0-891e-001b2166c2c0

Medusa
08-08-2011, 08:12 AM
Ok, I'm kinda salivating over that! Is it collapsable?

We always bring at least one container for water so we can rinse dishes, cook, wash our hands etc. I've usually carried a big plastic bin like people bus tables with at restaurants but it's heavy and bulky.

Had some interesting experiences with these:
http://www.survivalkitsonline.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/aqua_tainer.jpg

At one time, we had 5 of these and all 5 of them got dry-rot and splintered to pieces when we would pick them up. One of them had been full of water in the garage and I went to pick it up and the entire handle came off and the jug exploded! I don't know if they got left in the sun or what but it was a MESS.

We now have several of these:

http://downriverequip.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/250x250/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/a/sand_5_gallon_1.jpg

The plastic seems to be thicker and we've had good luck so far.

jelli
08-08-2011, 08:21 AM
Ok, I'm kinda salivating over that! Is it collapsable?

We always bring at least one container for water so we can rinse dishes, cook, wash our hands etc. I've usually carried a big plastic bin like people bus tables with at restaurants but it's heavy and bulky.

Had some interesting experiences with these:
http://www.survivalkitsonline.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/aqua_tainer.jpg

At one time, we had 5 of these and all 5 of them got dry-rot and splintered to pieces when we would pick them up. One of them had been full of water in the garage and I went to pick it up and the entire handle came off and the jug exploded! I don't know if they got left in the sun or what but it was a MESS.

We now have several of these:

http://downriverequip.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/250x250/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/a/sand_5_gallon_1.jpg

The plastic seems to be thicker and we've had good luck so far.

Totally collapsible and ends up in its own case that's round, about an inch and half to two inches tall, and about 4 inches wide.

We bought one of these water containers and it works great for us. These collapse as well.

http://www.benmeadows.com/images/xl/Coleman-25-Gallon-Collapsible-BEN-_i_bmw240535.jpg

http://www.benmeadows.com/images/xl/Coleman-25-Gallon-Collapsible-BEN-_i_bmw240535.jpg

Daktari
08-08-2011, 08:39 AM
I use the collapsible water storage too.

Another camper here who sadly hasn't been out this year.

I prefer 'glamping' so that I/we can have the big fat blow up mattress. Have to have decent seating too. Sadly Un-Mrs.I has custody of the big tent nowadays whilst I have my Robens super-duper 2man.

I have been know to rough camp but my old bones aren't too keen on that anymore.

This is one of my favourite places to go camping/flying
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/2354597561_a4d535bd97.jpg
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/BB1.jpg
Brock Bottom on the estate of Lord Brock

Medusa
08-08-2011, 08:46 AM
Incubus - That meadow is GORGEOUS!

It had been a long time since I tent-camped but I knew we had to have an air mattress because my big ass isn't sleeping on the ground. :praying:

Planned for our next camping trip (hopefully the first of September since it's a bazillion degrees here and the low temperature at night is 90!):

12-person tent
air-mattress
our camping chairs
lanterns
our "living room" screen that goes around the picnic table
my outdoor rug
various tarps, ropes, etc.
ice chest with yummy camping food
water container, dishes, etc.
fishing equipment

I want to try some new recipes when we go but Jackhammer has demanded that I make the teriyaki shish-k-bobs again and I'm sure we'll have the "Cowboy Breakfast" again! Tummy is already growling!

jelli
08-08-2011, 08:48 AM
Cruel has specific tents to use depending on where and who is going camping/hiking.

She went on a trip with some friends to Cumberland Island and had a great time. What a beautiful place. Historical with wild horses. She went back another time, met some guys on the ferry, they took her in like one of the guys, and they camped/hiked together that wknd. She is still in touch with them. :)

Be sure to check out the photos!!!

http://www.cumberlandisland.com/

jelli
08-08-2011, 08:52 AM
I don't sleep on the ground either - big ass or no big ass. ;)

Cruel bought me a Therm-A-Rest mattress. they come in a wide variety of sizes. I sleep like a baby now.

http://cascadedesigns.com/gfx/tar/tarHomeNeoAirAllSeason_cutaway.jpg

http://cascadedesigns.com/Therm-A-Rest

Bard
08-08-2011, 08:55 AM
for us the camping is really a family tradition now we go for Desd's Bithday and for mine now the kiddo wants to go for hers to ( to bad my and the kiddo have B-Days in Jan and Dec) we got a bigger tent now it sleeps 8 and is good for the three of us lol everyone has space and when we went last putting it up in the rain was I am sure funny to watch.. just found a new place that is closer that we want to camp in when I am healed enough to dang it ( I want to go now) Green lakes state park we had gone there for a wedding and it was amazing there are two lakes and a trail that goes around both I just can not wait..

Daktari
08-08-2011, 08:56 AM
It is a beautiful setting when the bluebells are like a carpet Medusa. Sadly due to it's popularity with numpties who left the fire pits full of detritus there were No Camping signs posted some years ago. Once in a while we've been known to sneak up there for an over-night though.

A 12 person tent for 2 of you? :| Bloody nora! Now't like being over-accommodated :winky:

I would love to try camping with just a decent hammock.

Fantastic pictures of Cumberland Island jelli

Thermarests don't go thick enough for me...my old bones want real luxury. :cheesy:

jelli
08-08-2011, 09:05 AM
It is a beautiful setting when the bluebells are like a carpet Medusa. Sadly due to it's popularity with numpties who left the fire pits full of detritus there were No Camping signs posted some years ago. Once in a while we've been known to sneak up there for an over-night though.

A 12 person tent for 2 of you? :| Bloody nora! Now't like being over-accommodated :winky:

I would love to try camping with just a decent hammock.

Fantastic pictures of Cumberland Island jelli

Thermarests don't go thick enough for me...my old bones want real luxury. :cheesy:

Love the idea of a hammock. We've looked at these...

http://www.mastgeneralstore.com/prodimages/8554-DEFAULT-m.jpg

http://www.mastgeneralstore.com/category.cfm/CurrentPage/1/mast/camp-site-hammocks

Scorp
08-08-2011, 09:07 AM
I use to love to camp. Back in the day, me and all my friends would go for long holiday weekends and would have a blast.

My fondest memory is the rain we had "unexpectedly" had. As you know, sometimes the weather people are way off. In any case, I was in my tent and was sleeping on one of those air mattress raft things. When I opened my eyes I was surrounded in water I remember laughing my ass off and had a vision of me floating down the road on this raft. We still laugh about that all these years later.

Another memory is when we went to set up camp. We got there late at night and the mosquitoes were out of control. After setting a few tents up it started to rain like mad. We decided to take the tents down and head back home. When we got to the office to get our money back, one of my friends had bites all over including her face and forehead. We never laughed so hard. Not to sound heartless but you had to be there. We were dying and so was she. She went in looking one way and ended up coming out looking like some bumpy creature. Hilarious at the time...

I wouldn't mind going camping now, but I HATE mosquitoes and I actually get a reaction to their bites. One ends up turning into two or three. They have a field day with me and I get eaten alive. I usually have to bathe in deet and be surrounded by citronella candles, the Off clips, etc from head to toe, but that still doesn't keep them away.

Just a trip down camping memory lane!

Medusa
08-08-2011, 09:13 AM

:

:o

That was my doing (of course). I kept thinking that getting dressed and maneuvering would be easier with more room.
When I brought that home, Jackhammer immediately asked who else we were inviting. She then ribbed me for an HOUR about how much crap I brought with us. (WE NEEDED ALL THAT STUFF!!)

I then looked over at her pile of fishing stuff which included NINE fishing poles and 2 huge duffel bags. :kettlepot:
LOL!

dixie
08-08-2011, 09:14 AM

It had been a long time since I tent-camped but I knew we had to have an air mattress because my big ass isn't sleeping on the ground. :praying:

Planned for our next camping trip (hopefully the first of September since it's a bazillion degrees here and the low temperature at night is 90!):

12-person tent
air-mattress
our camping chairs
lanterns
my outdoor rug
fishing equipment

I want to try some new recipes when we go but Jackhammer has demanded that I make the teriyaki shish-k-bobs again and I'm sure we'll have the "Cowboy Breakfast" again! Tummy is already growling!
Your camp list looks a hella lot like mine...LOL

My Coleman camp stove is a must for me, as well.

Daktari
08-08-2011, 09:27 AM
Love the idea of a hammock. We've looked at these...

http://www.mastgeneralstore.com/prodimages/8554-DEFAULT-m.jpg

http://www.mastgeneralstore.com/category.cfm/CurrentPage/1/mast/camp-site-hammocks

This is the one I keep talking myself out of
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/ex-ham-crbdbg-568.jpg
http://hennessyhammock.com/

:o

That was my doing (of course). I kept thinking that getting dressed and maneuvering would be easier with more room.
When I brought that home, Jackhammer immediately asked who else we were inviting. She then ribbed me for an HOUR about how much crap I brought with us. (WE NEEDED ALL THAT STUFF!!)

I then looked over at her pile of fishing stuff which included NINE fishing poles and 2 huge duffel bags. :kettlepot:
LOL!

Jeepers! You could house an army in something that size (Or host the Reunion!). I'd pay to see the two of you putting up a tent that big :giggle:

Nine fishing rods? And Jack uses every one of them? Are they disposable? Do Bic make fishing rods? :winky:

Dixielady, I couldn't live without my Coleman petrol stove and twin mantle lamp either.
The first camping trip I used my new and rather expensive Coleman lamp - running on unleaded petrol, my mate Pie-face managed to knock it off it's branch into the camp fire...cue one Pie-face with her hand in the river half the night after removing said petrol fuelled lamp from the fire before it blew up. :|

jelli
08-08-2011, 09:34 AM
OOOOOOooooooooOooooooohhhh I like that hammock!!!

Novelafemme
08-08-2011, 10:02 AM
i LOVE camping!! in fact, an old friend just gave me a HUGE 9 person tent with all sorts of rooms and even a dog area. the girls and i cannot wait to try it out!!

Just_G
08-08-2011, 10:12 AM
I have a 1971 Starcraft pop-up that I bought for $1000 about 7 years ago. It had only been used 8 times prior to me buying it. Canvas was brand new! It is my tent on wheels, as I never use the electrical or water hookups.

We are heading down to Noel, Missouri the weekend after Labor Day if everything pans out schedule-wise and finance wise. I have not been on a river in over 2 years and I am so ready to relax and enjoy the clear, spring fed river down close to the Arkansas border.

I have all kinds of gadgets in the camper and have built shelves and a dishwashing area to make things quick and easy after meals. Next summer, I am going to have plenty of time to camp, as school has really gotten in the way these last 2 summers. :blink:

foxyshaman
08-08-2011, 10:40 AM
I LOVE CAMPING. However in the recent breakup I took no camping gear because I moved into a much smaller place.

But I do teach a shamanic wilderness retreat for going on 11 years now. It is rough camping - read as only an outhouse!! This year it is Aug 18 - 22.

So, these days I camp light - 1 stove; two pots; two of the rest; a tent; sleeping bag and a cot- I am not sleeping on any ground ever again... my aging hips are like...ahhh are you kidding us?? Oh and a small cooler. Everything I need fits into the back of my hatchback Focus. Eating mostly raw food gives me an advantage I don't have to worry about meat spoiling!! yeah me!! I need the stove for my coffee extravaganza... I mean people wanna live right?? :)
:byebye:

jelli
08-08-2011, 11:51 AM
=AuDbk_Xm-c8

I tried and tried to get this video to post, but the video fairy is pms'ing. So here's a link - &#x202a;Teardrop Camper&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube

Video of the building phases of another teardrop model. http://elfcrafters.com/TearDrop.aspx

jelli
08-08-2011, 04:35 PM
I know it's not for everyone, but wanted to mention the shewee/he-wee too. Whether it be when you're camping, public restrooms(where you wouldn't have to explain the direction your feet are facing), or every day life.

Amazon.com: SHEWEE: Sports & Outdoors

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41vdn5gOKJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Daktari
08-08-2011, 05:21 PM
Non-Mrs.I has one of those for festival situations....the toilets at festivals are eeueeeeeew! I have no sense of smell...it's only the queues that bother me!

Ranger Butch Force
09-28-2011, 10:15 AM
I love camping! Every time I drive by a sporting goods store, I have to go in and look at what they have and sometimes buy something that may be useful. Last time was two new bladders for my Camelback. One had a leak in it and the other one, which I got around the same time as the first, was starting to go too. One is strictly for water and the other is for booze. Yes, that's how I camp!

HoustonHuny
11-11-2011, 01:24 PM
I have camped all my life in all sorts of ways, tents, vans, travel trailers. This year I bought a class A motor home (not new) and moved from a two-bedroom house to an RV. All of my material things were either sold, given away or tossed, except for a small box of pictures and a few items of clothing and some kitchen items and bedding. It was very freeing.

I am now a full-timer and am working my way across the US. My plan is to live at Sam's Town in Las Vegas for the rest of my life. *kidding*

Wanna swap camping stories?

Apocalipstic
11-11-2011, 01:29 PM
Never actually been camping.

MsTinkerbelly
11-11-2011, 01:47 PM
I started camping in tents with the Girl Scouts and my parents mannnnnnny moons ago, but the older I get the more I like my comfort. We now have a Class "C" Motorhome.

Next week we will be going to the Lake to stay in floating cabins with some friends to celebrate my Kasey's Birthday. Fishing off the front deck....life doesn't get much better than that!:hangloose:

HoustonHuny
11-11-2011, 02:39 PM
I started camping in tents with the Girl Scouts and my parents mannnnnnny moons ago, but the older I get the more I like my comfort. We now have a Class "C" Motorhome.

Next week we will be going to the Lake to stay in floating cabins with some friends to celebrate my Kasey's Birthday. Fishing off the front deck....life doesn't get much better than that!:hangloose:

Wow! Floating cabins, what a great idea. So, who cleans and cooks the fish? I will be happy to eat the fish, but the rest of it...you can have at it!

Everything tastes yummy when you eat it outside. I have an electric griddle that I put on my picnic table and just plug in. I don't know why but eggs and hash browns and bacon taste so much better when they are cooked outside.

HoustonHuny
11-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Never actually been camping.

Right now it doesn't feel much like camping. The sun is so hot in Texas and there is no shade, so you have to close the blinds and turn on the air-conditioner and play on the puter. :blink:

Daktari
11-11-2011, 03:08 PM
*flashes International Faggot of Mystery card*

My name is Incubus and I'm a poof. I cannot kill, gut or clean fish, fowl or fauna. Humans are a different matter! I'll cook happily though :cooking:

Love building fire pits and tending fire - I am Tim the Toolman hear me grunt... Ooh-Ooh!

Can brew a fine pot of tea and make a pigtastic bacon (or veggie variant) butty in the morning :tea:

Can play guitar/sing round the campfire and lead sing-songs :choir:-available for weddings, wakes and bat mizvahs...very reasonable rates, apply within.

Just please don't ask me to kill and gut anything.

Apocalipstic
11-11-2011, 03:14 PM
*flashes International Faggot of Mystery card*

My name is Incubus and I'm a poof. I cannot kill, gut or clean fish, fowl or fauna. Humans are a different matter! I'll cook happily though :cooking:

Love building fire pits and tending fire - I am Tim the Toolman hear me grunt... Ooh-Ooh!

Can brew a fine pot of tea and make a pigtastic bacon (or veggie variant) butty in the morning :tea:

Can play guitar/sing round the campfire and lead sing-songs :choir:-available for weddings, wakes and bat mizvahs...very reasonable rates, apply within.

Just please don't ask me to kill and gut anything.

Gotta draw the line somewhere. I agree.

In fact, living in the Southern US I find it important to tell potential dates that they better never bring anything dead in the kitchen for me to clean. UGH. We have grocery stores!

princessbelle
11-11-2011, 03:24 PM
I am so looking forward to camping in the Smokey Mountains in the very near future.....

Even if it is in a little cabin with a cute little fireplace, nothing better for a romantic getaway.

Yum.

Apocalipstic
11-11-2011, 03:36 PM
I am so looking forward to camping in the Smokey Mountains in the very near future.....

Even if it is in a little cabin with a cute little fireplace, nothing better for a romantic getaway.

Yum.

Now a cabin in the Smokies! Heck Ya.

Love sitting out on the deck, grilling, chillin....I like the cabins with lots of glass for those amazing views!

*Hot Tub!*

princessbelle
11-11-2011, 03:49 PM
Now a cabin in the Smokies! Heck Ya.

Love sitting out on the deck, grilling, chillin....I like the cabins with lots of glass for those amazing views!

*Hot Tub!*

YES!!!!!!! Walking around with a flashlight at night, scuffling through the leaves. Cool weather where a light jacket is needed, barely seeing your breath in the moonlight. Camp fire, or fireplace fire, marshmallows, hot chocolate and hot dogs. Just about any food when you are camping is freaking delicious.

Hair in a pony tail, no makeup, over sized lumberjack shirts. Not caring bout how you look at all.

Meeting other peeps in the campground, from all over the world. Creeks, ice cold water to wash out your dishes. Breakfast with eggs and bacon and hot coffee.

Ah....heaven

http://dl6.glitter-graphics.net/pub/207/207646ity0rjaag7.jpg (http://www.glitter-graphics.com)

WolfyOne
11-11-2011, 04:13 PM

Yum.

I've fished in them there mountains and would do it again in a heartbeat

I used to camp, but nowadays unless I can skeeter proof myself, I break out in big welts on top of the bites or at least I do here in OK

princessbelle
11-11-2011, 04:18 PM
;461575]I've fished in them there mountains and would do it again in a heartbeat

I used to camp, but nowadays unless I can skeeter proof myself, I break out in big welts on top of the bites or at least I do here in OK[/SIZE]

Have you used deet? "Off" Deep Woods in the green can? It's not real healthy for you to use all the time but it does work. It is the only thing that keeps them off of me. Trust me, they love my southern blood. I can go down in the lower part of my back yard where there are many trees and get 15-20 bites unless i spray down. Those little mothas are horrible down here.

But, the green can of "Off", keeps them away, from me at least. And of course, this time of year they aren't as bad as in the summer months.

Grab you a can on the way and come on down Wolfy!!!!! We would all have a blast!!!!

Apocalipstic
11-11-2011, 04:23 PM
Maybe some day we could rent a big cabin in the Smokies with plenty of grounds...then those who need a real bed (Me!) can, those who like to sleep outdoors can and we could all hang out together on deck.

I so love the mountains! or maybe at one of the lakes?

princessbelle
11-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Maybe some day we could rent a big cabin in the Smokies with plenty of grounds...then those who need a real bed (Me!) can, those who like to sleep outdoors can and we could all hang out together on deck.

I so love the mountains! or maybe at one of the lakes?

I'm ready!!!! My mom has a chalet between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. It sleeps 8 people and has a hot tub.

And it's freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee LOL.

It would be fun to get something like that together!!!!!!!!

Apocalipstic
11-11-2011, 04:27 PM
I'm ready!!!! My mom has a chalet between Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. It sleeps 8 people and has a hot tub.

And it's freeeeeeeeeeeeeeee LOL.

It would be fun to get something like that together!!!!!!!!

Next Spring?

princessbelle
11-11-2011, 04:28 PM
Next Spring?

OK sounds great!!!!!! Seriously, maybe we could and get some of the Nashville folks or anyone. I would love it!!!!

TIMBERWOLF
11-11-2011, 09:20 PM
I thought you might be in Houston with your name like me but its been so nice here and actually cool today. We love to go camping around this time, unfortunate my lady is getting ready for surgery next week so we won't be camping till this next spring.
We go camping at Rainbow ranch. Where are you at?
TIMBER

Right now it doesn't feel much like camping. The sun is so hot in Texas and there is no shade, so you have to close the blinds and turn on the air-conditioner and play on the puter. :blink:

HoustonHuny
11-11-2011, 09:53 PM
I thought you might be in Houston with your name like me but its been so nice here and actually cool today. We love to go camping around this time, unfortunate my lady is getting ready for surgery next week so we won't be camping till this next spring.
We go camping at Rainbow ranch. Where are you at?
TIMBER

Yes, it was cool today...last night I had the furnace running and today I had the air-conditioner running. That's just crazy! I am staying in Galveston right now on the beach but I go to Houston for work soon.

Good luck to your "lady" on her surgery!
What is "Rainbow Ranch"

TIMBERWOLF
11-11-2011, 09:58 PM
Love to go fishing at Galveston.That pier at 61st street is a lot of fun. Rainbow ranch is a Gay and Lesbian campground that sits on Limestone lake http://www.rainbowranch.net/new/ is the link to it. How long are you going to be here. What type of work do you do?
TIMBER

HoustonHuny
11-11-2011, 10:06 PM
YES!!!!!!! Walking around with a flashlight at night, scuffling through the leaves. Cool weather where a light jacket is needed, barely seeing your breath in the moonlight. Camp fire, or fireplace fire, marshmallows, hot chocolate and hot dogs. Just about any food when you are camping is freaking delicious.

Hair in a pony tail, no makeup, over sized lumberjack shirts. Not caring bout how you look at all.

Meeting other peeps in the campground, from all over the world. Creeks, ice cold water to wash out your dishes. Breakfast with eggs and bacon and hot coffee.

Ah....heaven

http://dl6.glitter-graphics.net/pub/207/207646ity0rjaag7.jpg (http://www.glitter-graphics.com)

You are a Femme after my own heart...who knows how to let her hair down. (and don't we look cute in our ponytails and lumberjack shirts) The Smoky mountains are so beautiful! I grew up taking trips down the Blue Ridge Parkway and then I moved to the PNW....the mountains there are so different, bigger, colder and not so cozy. Once you get the great Smoky Mountains in your blood, no other mountains will do! I would love to join you in Gatlinburg

HoustonHuny
11-13-2011, 09:26 AM
Love to go fishing at Galveston.That pier at 61st street is a lot of fun. Rainbow ranch is a Gay and Lesbian campground that sits on Limestone lake http://www.rainbowranch.net/new/ is the link to it. How long are you going to be here. What type of work do you do?
TIMBER

Lordy, last weekend they had the "Lone Star Rally" in Galveston. There was something like 400,000 bikers. They were everywhere. It was sorta like the Monarch Butterfly migration...NOT! I am not against bikers but talk about noisy! Thanks for the info on Rainbow ranch, I will certainly look into it.

I am semi-retired, but I do some consulting work partime. Mostly, I just assess the situation and then give my opinion on how to fix it,and people pay me for my opinion. Imagine that? I would never have thought in all my working years that my opinion would be so valuable someday :cool:

Thinker
03-29-2012, 04:55 PM
Bumping this up too...

We're camping fans. We've got a cute-ass vintage travel trailer we stay in and are in the market for something a little bigger, so we can start boondocking.

We also bought 10 acres a little to the north of where we live. We are in the beginning stages of clearing that land, so we can build our forever home on it someday.

For now, we're keeping our trailers out there (I like to refurbish vintage ones); and I recently built a little deck outside of our Aloha....the one we camp in. I'm working on a firepit now, so we'll actually be able to "camp" on our land on weekends when we're clearing sagebrush.

Would love to revive this and steal tips from other campers!! I'm gonna go back now and read the thread from the beginning. :)

Happy camping!

Thinker
03-29-2012, 05:52 PM

12-person tent
air-mattress
our camping chairs
lanterns
my outdoor rug
fishing equipment

Oooooo... I love lists. I make many. If anyone else has theirs handy, I'd love to see 'em!!

Medusa, I honestly never thought to put a screened room *around* the picnic table. Thanks!!

I LOVE CAMPING. However in the recent breakup I took no camping gear because I moved into a much smaller place.

But I do teach a shamanic wilderness retreat for going on 11 years now. It is rough camping - read as only an outhouse!! This year it is Aug 18 - 22.

So, these days I camp light - 1 stove; two pots; two of the rest; a tent; sleeping bag and a cot- I am not sleeping on any ground ever again... my aging hips are like...ahhh are you kidding us?? Oh and a small cooler. Everything I need fits into the back of my hatchback Focus. Eating mostly raw food gives me an advantage I don't have to worry about meat spoiling!! yeah me!! I need the stove for my coffee extravaganza... I mean people wanna live right?? :)
:byebye:

You're my dream camper!!! I'm going to have to start practicing making coffee withOUT electricity......you know....just in case. Coffee is a must.

I have camped all my life in all sorts of ways, tents, vans, travel trailers. This year I bought a class A motor home (not new) and moved from a two-bedroom house to an RV. All of my material things were either sold, given away or tossed, except for a small box of pictures and a few items of clothing and some kitchen items and bedding. It was very freeing.

I am now a full-timer and am working my way across the US. My plan is to live at Sam's Town in Las Vegas for the rest of my life. *kidding*

Wanna swap camping stories?

Living the dream!!! Good for you!

Medusa
06-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Well thank goodness! I was wondering if there was a thread for camping!

Jackhammer and I have a little camping trip planned in a couple of weeks. We are going to float the Buffalo river and stay overnight at a rough campground for a couple of nights.

This will be "roughing it" type camping. No electricity or water at the site and we are going with a tent instead of a camper.

Needless to say, huge transition for us since getting rid of our camper 3 years ago to be going in a tent but I kinda love tent camping.

We always take a tent that is much larger than we need, a queen sized air mattress, a battery operated fan, and more supplies than you can shake a stick at.

Super excited!

Teddybear
06-04-2012, 06:39 PM
my baby and I are going to be doing just a one nite camping in gettysburg, pa this week. It will be our first of many camping trips. We have one planned for the beach in july. I cant wait for that one either. I look for to all time I get to spend with her

starryeyes
06-04-2012, 07:02 PM
No thanks! Unless there is a camper and a shower :-)

cara
06-04-2012, 07:08 PM
I went camping a lot with my family as a child, but not so much as an adult. One of my goals this year is purchase basic camp supplies for a weekend camping trip. So far, I've been able to borrow a lot of what I need from my parents, co-workers, and friends. I've been purchasing things slowly since I don't camp all that often--once or twice a year, so far. Next on my list are a small tent, sleeping pad, and a rain jacket to match the pants I already own.

I just got back from my first camping trip of the year yesterday. It was fun! Very rustic campground--no running water, plumbing or electricity, pack-in/pack-out type place. Looking forward to the next planned camping trip (early September). I love the smell of a campfire and love taking a time out in nature away from the stresses of life and electronics.

:hangloose:

deedarino
06-04-2012, 07:22 PM
I adore camping and have a trip planned in two weeks! At the beach!

There is nothing better than sitting around a campfire and sleeping under the stars...

The Oopster
06-04-2012, 07:53 PM
Living in a camper up in the El Dorado Forest til the end of Semptember!

By far not roughing it, but still an adjustment!

It's been fun but also has had it's challenges!

Thank god I got hooked up to the camps propane tank Friday! Cold front went through and been raining all day! One weekend of roughing it without heat was enough!

It has been interesting coming up with a new routine based around what foods are easiest to store, up to know having a dorm size fridge, taking trash out whenever I go to sleep or leave camp. Washing dishes before bed or whenever I leave camp. If they are small I stash them in the fridge to wash later. Washing out of a sink most nights then when i'm in the area of the showers I"ll take one there!

I've really enjoyed my neighbors and the various people that work on this forest. Probably hung out in the info lodge for an hour today just hanging with some of the rangers!

genghisfawn
06-04-2012, 08:03 PM
My friends' daughter is 13 and a serious Scout and EcoQuester. She has the best gear and will rent it to me for $20/weekend (sweet deal for both of us.)

I don't have gear since I moved away a few years ago, but hers will do.

I like rough camping, and I plan on doing it a few times this summer, but I think I'll wait until tick season is over because I have nobody to help check me! :D

The Oopster
06-04-2012, 08:17 PM
What is really interesting is a majority of the rangers/forest workers I have seen in the district I am living in are female.

I have no clue how many are of the LGBTQI....... community. I'm not even going to try to figure it out. I have no idea if any of them have figured me out either. Unfortunately I had to pay for the site myself before getting reimbursed so I had to use my legal name. So it is out there. Also when talking about my ex I get tired to the pronoun game so who knows what they think!

I have no clue what the other areas of the forest are like yet but the one i am in is pretty cool!

Medusa
06-04-2012, 09:47 PM
One of my oldest friends and her husband retired and sold everything they owned and bought a brand new dually diesel truck and trailer. They are still traveling the United States and spending up to a month at a time at their favorite spots.

With the advent of easy internet access and their DirecTV satellite being mobile, they are basically enjoying all the comforts of home (wherever they choose to park it!)

I must admit that I am super intrigued by this.

Elise tells me wonderful stories of finding amazing little micro-communities where "boondockers" have organized craft nights and pot lucks around their traveling home communities.

Needless to say, LOVE that.

The Oopster
06-04-2012, 09:58 PM
One of my oldest friends and her husband retired and sold everything they owned and bought a brand new dually diesel truck and trailer. They are still traveling the United States and spending up to a month at a time at their favorite spots.

With the advent of easy internet access and their DirecTV satellite being mobile, they are basically enjoying all the comforts of home (wherever they choose to park it!)

Elise tells me wonderful stories of finding amazing little micro-communities where "boondockers" have organized craft nights and pot lucks around their traveling home communities.

A lot of the people up here working for American Leisure do that! I'm the only one in our work camp without sometype of satellite! However I do have internet access using my cell phone as a hotspot! I had to partially for work!

They don't make a lot of money yet at the same time they get their spot free and do make some!

No craft nights here though! Everyone is in their camper watching tv!

blush
06-04-2012, 09:59 PM
I don't camp. I spent six weeks in Costa Rician rainforest in college in primitive camping conditions. Roaches the size of my hand.
I might be persuaded by this:http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_calxOT6kJQM/TStMd9jnKcI/AAAAAAAAN-8/SRx8c0G-UAs/s1600/accom_25.jpg

Medusa
06-04-2012, 10:13 PM
Note to self: Next Reunion in the Arkansas mountains with Blush's tent filled with special treats!

cara
06-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Note to self: Next Reunion in the Arkansas mountains with Blush's tent filled with special treats!

I second that statement!

:)

blush
06-04-2012, 10:53 PM
I second that statement!

Awesome! We're gonna need some of these:http://sphotos.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/p480x480/382379_10151128937257506_99485802505_13265885_7532 18612_n.jpg

And this:http://www.uktravelboutique.com/news/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/boutique-camping-tent-hire-coloured-bell-tents.jpg

But not this:http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTr6LnxSvTTq3tKTw1Vy8EqJwZdqmEF-6Vc2nOvybVjy9yCN9wz

MsTinkerbelly
06-05-2012, 08:00 AM
We have just gone from a Coachman RV to a truck with travel trailer...omg, I NEVER want to go back!

The roominess of the trailer, and the bonus of having a vehicle to drive in once we arrive is worth the downside of not having a restroom to use as we drive along without pulling over.

Love, love, to camp and fish!

Scuba
06-05-2012, 08:14 AM
Living in the PNW now and there won't be enough weekends for the camping I'd like to do around here. If anyone wants to get together for a long weekend up in the Cascades give me a shout. I'd love to have company. All tent types welcome **chuckling**

Scoobs

P.S. Am a bit envious of Koop...

clay
06-05-2012, 10:08 AM
hey Medusa:
There are so many ways to do just what your friends do....here on the East Coast, and I am sure there are other places all over the US that do so as well....the people are "campground hosts" for a month at a time..this gets them free space rent...and they do one of several duties...some do the hosting at check in...some do BR cleanups, others may work the camp store a couple days a week..there are set hrs. they do these duties..it isn't like a "9 to 5" every day...is something like maybe 24 hrs. a week or so.
Hunting Island State Park is a beach campground....complete with horse trails, beachfront, and fishing pier...and is a naturale habitat...palms, trees, and foliage that is left alone..with deer, gators, and all the fauna of said foliage...lol..
In Dahlonega,GA there is a campground that you can actually go down in deep pits and pan for gold.
Swiftwaters Campground in that area is family owned and is a really swell place to go..is right on a river..with fresh mountian trout...I KNOW that will get Jack's attention...smiles...
Nantahala River Gorge is an awesome place up in Bryson City,NC. You can ride tubes down the river there. In Cherokee,NC you can camp right on the rivers there and fish and catch some great fish...and Harrah's Casino is there..smiles...
Noccalula Falls, AL. is an awesome place to go also...it has a huge waterfall there in the park...
Unicoi State Park in Helen,GA is another awesome place...
Beverly Beach Camptown in Beverly Beach,FL...you back right up to a seawall..and camp...on the beach...you can see loggerhead turtle nests.... fish, have a campfire, and enjoy all sorts of scenery.
I hear you on the crafts nights, campfire cookouts with campers, and all of that is awesome.
So, when you do this....you will be hooked for life..it is incredible...enjoy your day, ma'am..and I made a walk down memory lane, as I have stayed in almost all of these places, and had some incredible memories...thanks, my friend...have a wonderful day...Clay
PS I have camped in everything imaginable...from sleeping bag on ground, in back of a truck, a tent, a popup, travel trailer, motorhome...AND like Ms. Tinkerbelly said...a truck with a TT OR fifth wheel is THE best..you have a vehicle to drive around in...and most even have toilets and showers in them. The clue to a TT is to get one big enough...for example, if it is a 24 ft TT (Travel Trailer) you actually only have 22" inside space..the tongue on front and back bumper take off 2 feet..so a nice size is like 28 to 34 ft....and you want one with the bedroom, or master, at least on the back end...NOT front..as when you back in to a spot, like a seawall at beach, your bedroom is at front and you can't hear the ocean thru your window as well...jus' sayin'...this is all MY own experiences...One of my oldest friends and her husband retired and sold everything they owned and bought a brand new dually diesel truck and trailer. They are still traveling the United States and spending up to a month at a time at their favorite spots.

Medusa
06-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Packing for a 4-day camping trip this coming weekend and it looks like we're moving. :|

My Pops is staying at our house while we are gone and has promised to help us unload when we get back.

I might have to pay him. :|

Ranger Butch Force
06-10-2012, 11:34 AM
I love camping! I try to bring some comforts of my default world home when I'm at Burning Man, but for the most part the things I bring out there are specifically for Burning Man or regional events.

When I go camping, that's not Burning Man or regionals, I still bring everything I need because I don't want to have to go to town to get food or supplies. It kind of defeats the purpose.

The Oopster
06-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Packing for a 4-day camping trip this coming weekend and it looks like we're moving. :|

My Pops is staying at our house while we are gone and has promised to help us unload when we get back.

I might have to pay him. :|

But do have the patio heater packed? Yes someone had one of those heaters that restaurants often have In their outside patio

Teddybear
06-15-2012, 06:09 AM
My baby and I will be.camping next week up close.to state college, pa. I think we r going to enjoy it. I can't wait.to camp with her in the mountains

Teddybear
06-15-2012, 06:11 AM
But do have the patio heater packed? Yes someone had one of those heaters that restaurants often have In their outside patio

Hey I pack a wind machine for.the summer and a portable heater for cooler months

Lady Pamela
06-15-2012, 06:41 AM
We are headed out now for the weekend to southern utah to camp..well kind of south east utah..ha

to a family reunion with many people of my family.
Tenting it....can't wait.....see ya all late sunday or monday.

Ranger Butch Force
06-19-2012, 11:00 AM
I always pack more food than what I need when I go camping and go to Burning Man. My crock pot gets used a lot (if there's a generator available) and I make jambalaya, stew, and BBQ pulled pork/chicken. The key is to prepare as much of it as you can at home and vacuum seal it. If no generator is available, I just use my propane stove or grill.

While packing my food, I have a soft sided cooler for my dry food and 2 different sized coolers for chilled foods. Depending on how long I will be gone determines which size cooler I bring. When I get things like instant oatmeal, cereal bars, 100 calorie snack packs and crackers, I take it out of the box because it uses less space that way as well as less trash to haul out. Then I will put them in plastic bags so they get all over the place. Once there were several packages of instant oatmeal packages that somehow broke open and it was everywhere inside my bag. Not fun to clean up!

Peanut butter is almost a necessity for me to bring since it's a great source of protein, satisfies that sweet tooth and a great snack all around. Single serving applesauce is also always in my cooler.

I never bring fresh fruit or veggies to BM because they will rot within a matter of days (unless it's consumed the first day I'm out there). Bread doesn't keep out there either but I have found that the little sandwich rounds do last out there better.

As always, when you leave your camp site, make sure it's cleaner than when you first got there. Leave no trace!

The Oopster
06-19-2012, 07:32 PM
I always pack more food than what I need when I go camping and go to Burning Man. My crock pot gets used a lot (if there's a generator available) and I make jambalaya, stew, and BBQ pulled pork/chicken. The key is to prepare as much of it as you can at home and vacuum seal it. If no generator is available, I just use my propane stove or grill.

While packing my food, I have a soft sided cooler for my dry food and 2 different sized coolers for chilled foods. Depending on how long I will be gone determines which size cooler I bring. When I get things like instant oatmeal, cereal bars, 100 calorie snack packs and crackers, I take it out of the box because it uses less space that way as well as less trash to haul out. Then I will put them in plastic bags so they get all over the place. Once there were several packages of instant oatmeal packages that somehow broke open and it was everywhere inside my bag. Not fun to clean up!

Peanut butter is almost a necessity for me to bring since it's a great source of protein, satisfies that sweet tooth and a great snack all around. Single serving applesauce is also always in my cooler.

I never bring fresh fruit or veggies to BM because they will rot within a matter of days (unless it's consumed the first day I'm out there). Bread doesn't keep out there either but I have found that the little sandwich rounds do last out there better.

As always, when you leave your camp site, make sure it's cleaner than when you first got there. Leave no trace!

Have you tried flour tortillas? I use them instead of bread.

I've gotten into a snickers bar rut for my protein fix but the trick is keeping them from melting!

If there is a lot of air in the packaged items once taken out of the box I transfer them to a ziploc bag.

Ranger Butch Force
06-19-2012, 08:21 PM
Have you tried flour tortillas? I use them instead of bread.

I've gotten into a snickers bar rut for my protein fix but the trick is keeping them from melting!

If there is a lot of air in the packaged items once taken out of the box I transfer them to a ziploc bag.

I have tried flour tortillas and they last a little bit longer than regular bread, but not by much. While at Burning Man, I'm out there for 2 weeks on average so I had to experiment with what lasts longer. I bring both but try to consume the flour tortillas first before the sandwich rounds.

You can get around having a Snickers bar as your only source of protein by looking for protein bars that do not have chocolate in them. Nuts and beans have quite a bit of protein as well. While I do love my chocolate, I try not to bring any to BM or camping in general. I also bring protein shakes with me in case of an emergency. I will say that I have been known to pay a fellow Ranger for usage of the freezer in their RV for some ice cream bars for a well deserved frozen treat later in the week of the event. The payment, they can have some of the ice cream bars.

One of the perks of BM is that if you have leftovers that you want/need to get rid of, walk out to the street and offer your leftovers to passers by. Last year I made way too much chicken stir fry and my mentor and I scooped up the rest in some paper bowls and gave them away. There were probably about 6 or 7 bowls and 6 or 7 happy hippies that walked by and were grateful. :)

The Oopster
06-19-2012, 09:09 PM
You can get around having a Snickers bar as your only source of protein by looking for protein bars that do not have chocolate in them.

for some reason my body has reacted best to snickers bars .. i've tried protein bars and i usually feel icky afterwards and for some reasons snickers bars perk me up. I also am good at one a day on them for some reason where as other bars and sweets i tend to want more! I don't know why that is but it works for me

i'm lucky now that I got use to the neighbors fridge here and I try to give them extras every once in awhile too

Ranger Butch Force
06-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Snickers really does satisfy then! I do believe there is a Snickers protein or energy type of bar.

Sweet_Amor_Taino
08-09-2012, 06:36 AM
Thank you Timber I am planing to visit Galveston soon. I will be in Port Aranses in October and plan to visit Galveston after.Love to go fishing at Galveston.That pier at 61st street is a lot of fun. Rainbow ranch is a Gay and Lesbian campground that sits on Limestone lake http://www.rainbowranch.net/new/ is the link to it. How long are you going to be here. What type of work do you do?
TIMBER

Spikester
08-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Love camping just wish had someone to go with me

ruby_woo
08-09-2012, 11:08 AM
This past weekend, I went camping for the first time in yeeeaaars with a friend. It only took me 45 minutes, 50 cuss words, and 1 threat to throw the whole thing into the woods to get my tent up.

When I finally got to sleep, he came outside my tent, made bear noises, and then farted.

MsTinkerbelly
08-09-2012, 12:51 PM
We were out last weekend in the new travel trailer...it is so much more work than the class C RV we had! Fortunately Kasey has pulled both trailers and boats in the past, so backing up is not an issue for her...unlike me:praying:

It's a trade off...we have much more room, and we have a vehicle to drive around while we're camping, but then we used to be able to just get in the class C and go...no hitching, and a bathroom built into the drive. We took my Mom on a lot of trips in that RV before she passed away....

Anyway...we love camping and go a couple of weekends every month if at all possible.:hangloose:

Sweet_Amor_Taino
09-06-2012, 06:51 AM
I am sorry we live far from each other I like to fish and have the equipment needed to fish even an extra fishing pole. Good luck Amigo. Love camping just wish had someone to go with me

yotlyolqualli
09-06-2012, 08:59 AM
Camping is awesome! I've not been though, for about two years. I've camped where there were no amenities(sp?) and have "camped" where there were more amenities then I have at home and have also done the cabin thing (though I don't consider that really camping.... just saying lol).

I enjoy some comforts, IE bathrooms, not necessarily showers, but bathrooms are a must! I also prefer to camp near and around water and in a tent, although much can be said for sleeping under the stars by a campfire!

I have bathed in icy mountain streams (biodegradeable soap) that left my lips and fingertips blue, and in rivers as warm as bath water (although with that flesh eating germ being found in warm fresh water, I have found that boiling said water and bathing from a basin serves the same purpose and is much more safe!)

The one thing I enjoy most about camping is the time away from electronics, phones, and... dare I say it... people.

I love camping with groups but also find that camping alone has it's own perks!

Teddy, where about in the mountains of PA did you camp? Raystown lake is near here (as is State College) and they have gorgeous campgrounds from "luxury" (water/electrical hookups and dumping stations) to rough... "tent and bathroom facility only) spots. It is beautiful around here. I am blessed to live in one of the most beautiful states in the country! (totally biased here and unashamed of it lol)

Tcountry
09-07-2012, 02:50 AM
Getting the tent out this weekend to check it over... Going camping (probably) with the folks in Iowa next weekend.

They have a big ole camper where you don't really "rough it"...I like my tent

JAGG
09-07-2012, 04:48 AM
Hey going camping this weekend. We rented 2 cabins on the lake. That's my kind of camping.

MsTinkerbelly
09-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Headed out to a new place near San Diego tonight; it's so rustic we aren't allowed to bring pets! Lions and tigers and bears...oh my! LOL

Have a great weekend campers!

ScandalAndy
09-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Just spent the weekend camping at SisterSpace in Maryland. It was wonderful to be out in the tent, and having the camp facilities nearby made me feel spoiled!

StoneOne
09-10-2012, 09:00 AM
Joining thread
Thank You

MsTinkerbelly
09-10-2012, 10:09 AM
Headed out to a new place near San Diego tonight; it's so rustic we aren't allowed to bring pets! Lions and tigers and bears...oh my! LOL

Have a great weekend campers!

We had a really great time despite some funny times:rubberducky:

Our space was on an incline, which is something we haven't dealt with before...which if the trailer rolled would have gone straight off a cliff. We were able to level everything, and park the truck across the front in a T formation just in case our blocks did not hold. The next day we headed into town and got MUCH better blocks for the wheels! Restless night indeed! LOL

We also arrived after dark, and were upset to see only a 4ft strip in front of our unit, and then dense vegetation after that...was this all there was to our spot??? LOL In the light of day, and down a rocky path was our own incredible 1/2 acre of picnic table, fire ring , lock box, shaded heaven!

We're probably going to spend a week there in November to celebrate my Kasey's 60th b-day. The weather should be cooler, and the hiking and fishing are fabulous!

I love camping!

cinnamongrrl
09-10-2012, 05:12 PM
Our camping will have to be curtailed til next year. But I'm certain we will do a LOT of it then! And have heaps of fun....We got a pop up over the summer and I just can't WAIT to see where we go with it :)

Blade
09-10-2012, 08:02 PM
I love camping and have camped all over NC SC north GA and east TN. Haven't camped in VA yet but would love to. I have a camper and it hasn't been moved since about 2002. I'd rather throw out a tent. However, my old arse is starting to have a hard time getting up off the ground before I pee my pants, so I'm hoping to be able to afford a popup in the next few years. Until then the ole tent will have to do.

I can sometimes go and take the kitchen sink but I'd rather just throw in the tent and sleeping bag and air mattress, the big forks to cook hotdogs and sausage and a tote with the essentials....liquid soap, plastic ware, cintranila candles, deet and my word puzzles......oh and normally I throw my rod and reel and tackle box in too and a camp chair.

I've camped at Reliance, Chilhowee, Grasshopper Creek, B & B Marina, Tellico Plains, Ocoee River, Pigeon Forge and Cosby in TN...Morrow Mountain, Uharrie, New River, Cane Creek, Lake Lure, Pisgah, Grand Father Mountain, French Broad River, Hot Springs, Boone, West Jefferson in NC and Lake Wateree, Orangeburg, Edisto Beach, Myrtle Beach, North Myrtle Beach, Edisto River many in SC that I don't remember or they might didn't have a name back in the day.

I wish I could afford to go more often. Camping isn't really expensive but getting there is. Fall is my time of year and hopefully I will be able to afford several weekend trips this Fall.

miss entycing
09-11-2012, 05:25 AM
this is where Jax and i will be camping on the 28th for a few days- this exact site.
on lake hartwell, bout 45 min from the house-
time away like this was always special to us, but this trip is really special and i cant wait.
theres nothing like unzipping the tent, being drawn to the smell of coffee on the fire,
nothing like lying inside listening to the flames crackle.
the fishin and swimmin's kickass too!
:moonstars:
LOVE LOVE LOVE to camp....always hate to come back home.

http://i919.photobucket.com/albums/ad34/entycingfemme/LakeHartwellCampsite.jpg

Blade
09-13-2012, 03:22 PM
going to buy a new small tent tonight.....hopefully camping next weekend...Florida/Tennessee game takes presidence this weekend.

bcelly1894
09-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Just spent the weekend camping at SisterSpace in Maryland. It was wonderful to be out in the tent, and having the camp facilities nearby made me feel spoiled!

Wow, I loved SisterSpace, I attended back in 99. There was a singer there named Dani, She was great, I think I still have her CD packed away somewhere.

MsTinkerbelly
11-17-2012, 06:52 PM
Just back today from our 6 day camping trip...we celebrated our 10 year anniversary and my Kasey's 60th birthday...fun, romantic, and very restful:wine::moonstars:(f)

The Oopster
11-17-2012, 07:09 PM
got a new camper

Greco
11-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Camping in the high desert of NM is what I've enjoyed for many years. Am planning to head back in early Spring or Summer, G-d how I miss it.

Yes, I know H2O will have to be brought in, check. I enjoy primitive sites where I can hike during the mornings, and be back at camp for the late afternoon, build my campfire, and enjoy the stars kicking back.

Greco

ScandalAndy
11-26-2012, 10:30 AM
Does anybody use the swedish firesteel? I was thinking of getting it as a present for an avid camper.

Greco
11-26-2012, 10:39 AM
ScandalAndy,

Its a fun way to start a fire, I would also recommend the maya dust (pine shavings) which can be used even in wet conditions. Would they like it? All depends on what kind of camping your friend enjoys.

Greco

Does anybody use the swedish firesteel? I was thinking of getting it as a present for an avid camper.

Deborah
11-26-2012, 11:05 AM
Billy and I have an adorable 1971 vintage 14' Coachman camper...it's perfect for a weekend camping trip..ac/heat, kitchen, table, sleeping, tv/dvd and a potty! Her name is "The Love Shack"....cant wait for our first camping trip...we are going to attend a couple of vintage camper rallies they have in Tennessee...I see fun times a head :)

ScandalAndy
11-26-2012, 11:11 AM
They are also into primitive camping, like yourself. Once a year they indulge in a campsite with bathrooms, but the rest of the time it's all about being out in the woods with a map and compass. :) Thanks for the Maya Dust recommendation. It was offered with the firesteel but I wasn't sure if it was worth getting too.

ScandalAndy,

Its a fun way to start a fire, I would also recommend the maya dust (pine shavings) which can be used even in wet conditions. Would they like it? All depends on what kind of camping your friend enjoys.

Greco

Greco
11-26-2012, 11:58 AM
Well then they'll like it. I'd love this as a gift if I didn't have one. Primitive camping for me is the most enjoyable, I do have a shower and its the most comfort I must have...other then that its wonderful to be in parts of the wilderness that most folks won't go into...I do camp in nat'l parks, or state parks when I camp with friends who enjoy having a regular shower, and head.

So, your friend will certainly appreciate this as a gift.

Enjoy your day, Greco

deb0670
11-26-2012, 12:18 PM
i absolutely LOVE camping! I so miss it! I have never camped in a trailer or camper.. Always used tents and air mattresses and sleeping bags and camp fires and Coleman stoves etc etc

Sachita
11-26-2012, 01:11 PM

a lot of people I know use them and I've seen them work great. I personally have this one:

Amazon.com: Emergency Fire Starter: Sports & Outdoors

They all pretty much work the same and you need to get the stroke and kindling right. I keep mine with my trailer keys in my SUV all the time. You never know. lol

I love being in the woods. For all intent and purposes I kinda live in the woods. I'm lucky that I am close to the Blue Ridge and many other wonderful spots. I had a guy come help me on the farm one summer/fall who had a truck, a dog and an old army wall tent. He wanted to camp down by the creek. He lived in his tent and truck. He was very self sufficient too. he even had a little wood stove for his tent. I wanted him to stay but he said he enjoyed moving about. He said he has camped in below zero. I love camping but couldnt imagine that,

Sachita
11-26-2012, 01:25 PM
some people just don't feel comfortable with primitive camping. Let's define primitive- no running water (other then a stream) no potty (other then a hole in the ground), no hot showers (unless you heat your own water). Primitive doesn't mean bringing home comforts into the woods.

When I want to just be outside and relax I'll take my two room tent which has a screen room. I'll bring my little baby generator, a stove, maybe even a little fridge, cooler, a nice air mattress, cookware, table cloths. I'm like Martha Stewart camping. lol There isn;t anything gourmet I won't try and cook on a fire.

But when I want to go into the wilderness I take a small two person dome tent, something to start a fire, my little fishing rod, some tackle, bait, little cook set, something to filter water, a sleeping bag (now with a mat) and really very little. If it can't fit on my cart to pull in then its probably not coming in with me. Or I'll take my truck or SUV in and camp in it. I don't want to hear anything but nature. I want to sit still, connect and enjoy.

I do bring a gun and big knife with me. Especially when I am out alone.

ScandalAndy
11-29-2012, 08:16 AM
Thank you so much for all your help and recommendations! :)

Well then they'll like it. I'd love this as a gift if I didn't have one. Primitive camping for me is the most enjoyable, I do have a shower and its the most comfort I must have...other then that its wonderful to be in parts of the wilderness that most folks won't go into...I do camp in nat'l parks, or state parks when I camp with friends who enjoy having a regular shower, and head.

Enjoy your day, Greco

morningstar55
11-29-2012, 08:23 AM
love camping.....
camped in trailers, tents and cabins....

my most favorite camping is with the horses....
ride the trails all day and then back to the camp site for eats, sitting around the camp fires with great company :)

Metro
11-29-2012, 08:29 AM

Enjoy your day, Greco

I'm with Greco about must have daily shower... or, fresh water lake in which to bathe (w/ environmentally friendly soaps, of course). Haven't done it in years, but getting a US Geological survey map of a national park (then finding a nice secluded spot where camping is permitted) is wonderful.

This organization has programs that teach "leave no trace" techniques to both children and adults:

www.lnt.org

Am interested in taking a course, if even for no other reason than to learn more about it.

:thumbsup:

ScandalAndy
11-29-2012, 08:57 AM
that's awesome! thank you for the link!

I'm with Greco about must have daily shower... or, fresh water lake in which to bathe (w/ environmentally friendly soaps, of course). Haven't done it in years, but getting a US Geological survey map of a national park (then finding a nice secluded spot where camping is permitted) is wonderful.

This organization has programs that teach "leave no trace" techniques to both children and adults:

www.lnt.org

Am interested in taking a course, if even for no other reason than to learn more about it.

:thumbsup:

Happy_Go_Lucky
11-29-2012, 09:21 AM
staying at "The Four Seasons". Yes, seriously. There is a women's camping area in northern Georgia named Swiftwaters. I tried, really tried to deal with a tent, air mattress, the whole nine. Awakened with a sore back, bug bites.... Thank goodness they had a room with a jacuzzi available.

When I went to Mich Fest this year, yup, rented a hotel room.

Geeez, reading my post here, I really sound like a wimp. I assure you, I'm really not. :batman: HaH!

I laud any woman who can set up camp, fish.

dark_crystal
11-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Rainbow Ranch?

NO I DO NOT LIKE IT

but i have been twice this year for some reason

also we own this

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_uQJiJmD18M/ULYqRWt4O8I/AAAAAAAAGdU/fPlefWCrEQ0/w497-h373/20121124_075356.jpg

clay
11-29-2012, 10:42 AM
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]staying at "The Four Seasons". Yes, seriously. There is a women's camping area in northern Georgia named Swiftwaters. I tried, really tried to deal with a tent, air mattress, the whole nine. Awakened with a sore back, bug bites.... Thank goodness they had a room with a jacuzzi available.

I LOVE Swiftwaters. I went moons ago, (1986) BEFORE the newer facilties were added. I am talking only two wooden "outhouses" and bathing in the swift waters. This was when it was also "clothing optional".
I really enjoyed it very much. We each had our own little camping "wagon" set up with a built in sink, utensil rack, cooking gear, etc. Just open the doors up, spread them out..voila...everyhting one needed to cook, clean, etc.
I pitched a two room tent, made a campfire, and hung my coffeepot over the fire for REAL coffee brewed in the wilds. Gawd at the fun I had there. There was another nudist campground in the sticks of Dewy Rose...:)...familiar with?
Thanks for sparking those beautiful memories..

Sachita
11-29-2012, 10:52 AM
staying at "The Four Seasons". Yes, seriously. There is a women's camping area in northern Georgia named Swiftwaters. I tried, really tried to deal with a tent, air mattress, the whole nine. Awakened with a sore back, bug bites.... Thank goodness they had a room with a jacuzzi available.

Geeez, reading my post here, I really sound like a wimp. I assure you, I'm really not. :batman: HaH!

wimp! lol kidding

I took a big ass RV to the woman's fest. It was awesome.

Kobi
11-29-2012, 10:58 AM

I am with you on this, tho I prefer the Marriott. I like luxuries. Figure will have plenty of time to camp after the apocalypse. :)

Happy_Go_Lucky
11-29-2012, 03:27 PM
I am with you on this, tho I prefer the Marriott. I like luxuries. Figure will have plenty of time to camp after the apocalypse. :)

Doncha mean The Zombielypse?:eek:

Happy_Go_Lucky
11-29-2012, 03:30 PM
wimp! lol kidding

I took a big ass RV to the woman's fest. It was awesome.

You busted me. Heh.
Some of those rigs at Festie were dang amazing, saw one who had a whole stainless steel kitchen. Amazing.

Happy_Go_Lucky
11-29-2012, 03:49 PM
I LOVE Swiftwaters. I went moons ago, (1986) BEFORE the newer facilties were added. I am talking only two wooden "outhouses" and bathing in the swift waters. This was when it was also "clothing optional".
I really enjoyed it very much. We each had our own little camping "wagon" set up with a built in sink, utensil rack, cooking gear, etc. Just open the doors up, spread them out..voila...everyhting one needed to cook, clean, etc.
I pitched a two room tent, made a campfire, and hung my coffeepot over the fire for REAL coffee brewed in the wilds. Gawd at the fun I had there. There was another nudist campground in the sticks of Dewy Rose...:)...familiar with?
Thanks for sparking those beautiful memories..

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Did consider going to Dewy Rose...but didn't.

Went to Swiftwaters in 1999. The ladies had tent camping, 3 season cabins, and the room attached to their home with the jacuzzi.

My chihuahua went with me one time, I was throwing horseshoes and guess what? I threw the shoe and the chihuahua ended up on the hard end of the shoe. Totally freaked! Pooch was in shock, took her to the local vet. She was checked out and released with only a cut. Poor little doggie.

clay
11-29-2012, 04:36 PM
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Did consider going to Dewy Rose...but didn't.

Went to Swiftwaters in 1999. The ladies had tent camping, 3 season cabins, and the room attached to their home with the jacuzzi.

My chihuahua went with me one time, I was throwing horseshoes and guess what? I threw the shoe and the chihuahua ended up on the hard end of the shoe. Totally freaked! Pooch was in shock, took her to the local vet. She was checked out and released with only a cut. Poor little doggie.

Aww poor doggy! I was there right after it had just opened up...the original couple were owners. Later, one passed away.
The remaining owner and her new partner, I believe, did the upgrades. I heard it is much better now
That area is just beautiful, rich with gem mines, gold mining, and the like. Swiss Alpine Helen, Ga. is also close to that area as well.....
I remember having the honor of doing "tick searches/removals" on the ladies who were camping with us that weekend.
I, for sure, wouldn't
be in the market for camping there now. No more ground sleeping for me..lol

cinnamongrrl
01-06-2013, 07:51 PM
Counting the days (ok weeks) till we can break in the new pop up! I know to some that is cheating, but our backs are too old for sleeping on the ground even if we do have a nice air mattress. It's just good to know we have a dry roof over our heads should the weather get bad. And we can cook indoors with the propane. :)

TheMerryFairy
01-06-2013, 08:07 PM
I love camping! I have done a little bit of it all. I think I would be happy to take a month out of each season over an entire year and devote it to camping all over NA in tents, cabins, trailers or even just on the ground under the big sky. I love to backpack and travel around for different events and festivals when I can too, so this would be perfect. I just need a little wagon or something so I can keep a few things that I absolutely need with me at all times.

The Oopster
01-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Counting the days (ok weeks) till we can break in the new pop up! I know to some that is cheating, but our backs are too old for sleeping on the ground even if we do have a nice air mattress. It's just good to know we have a dry roof over our heads should the weather get bad. And we can cook indoors with the propane. :)

I think everything has it's place.

I hope you enjoy your pop-up!

When I get home in a few weeks I got to get ours ready to sell!

I don't consider our new trailer camping ... but I do consider that it can be recreational! Although I do think for some it could be ... just not for me cause I have made mine into a home!

PearlsNLace
01-15-2013, 09:35 PM
Nudge...

For those of us on a tightly structured budget, and/or planning to camp this year in a high use area, its time to start planning to make reservations.
Get that magic three day weekend in the best spot at camp! Be the one who remembers to call and get it in.

I'm beginning to plot my evil plans for wearing out our tent till we need duct tape to hold it together :-)

cinnamongrrl
01-16-2013, 08:56 AM
I agree...I want to camp as much as possible in the summer, since our schedules will be crazy come fall...

I REALLY want to plan a New England camp meet at Provincetown. Teddy knows of a really good campground there. Only problem is we are off during the week....but we will let people know when we are going, and if y'all can meet us there great! :)

Teddy is a MEAN campfire cooker ;) We even made boiled peanuts over the open fire! lol And scampi...yeah..starvation doesn't really suit us...but we sure have fun :)

GraffitiBoi
01-16-2013, 09:31 AM
I am definitely in the mood to camp. My friends already have our yearly sites reserved at the Boundary Waters but I'm hoping to do a lot more camping a little closer to home. MN has some good sites that aren't too far, and therefore not much time is wasted driving too far. :-)

I just need to repace some of my gear and I am ready to go!

Blade
04-16-2013, 07:39 PM
First camping trip of the year this past weekend. We went to Morrow Mt State Park. I think this was the best camping trip I've had in probably 20 yrs. Mid
40's at night and low 70's during the day. No wind, no rain beautiful weekend and I had a great time. The deer were all around the campsite and almost in it at times. No babies as yet, be a few more weeks before they drop.

Campfire cooking at it's finest, I must say LighteningBug was pretty good at campfire cooking as well. This time was campfire saute mushrooms, campfire spiced taters, chicken wings, cucumbers we didn't cook them on the campfire, and this was only Saturday night. YUMMMM

Had good camping neighbors and basically the campground was quiet. I need to find a place to camp on the water that is close by. I know of places in the Smokies but that is a 3-4 hr drive, there has to be someplace close to home.

My camping buddy and I keep saying we need to start a camping blog on all the stuff that happens to us when we go camping. We do have a time of it sometimes. I hope to do a lot more camping this year than I've been able to do in the past year or two. Also hoping to get tires for my camper so if they are calling for rain it won't matter.

pajama
07-05-2013, 05:55 PM
Uggggh this was a bad camping spring for us. It would rain or get real cold only on the weekends, then it was June and 90. Got one camping trip in, it wasn't bad.

But!!!!!! Just got an old beat up long bed truck that I put a camper on and am building a platform bed in, so I'm making a red-neck RV. It'll be all ready to camp in this fall! Going camping in N'awlins the first weekend of November, that'll be the first unplugged trip and the first urban camping. :|

dixie
07-05-2013, 06:08 PM
I haven't even made it camping this year. It's either been hot as hades or flooding. There doesn't seem to be much in between over here. :(

Medusa
07-08-2013, 11:16 PM
We haven't camped yet either but hope to get out in the next few weeks.

Got a really nice tent and screen house last year and have been picking up supplies at yard sales and on clearance for the last several years.

And I freaking HEART my orange melamine dishes!
:princess::princess::eyebat::eyebat:

cara
07-08-2013, 11:28 PM
It's my goal to learn to camp on my own this summer. So far, I've camped twice for one night on friends properties, and I have three other entire weekends planned between now and the Reunion. Whee!

Daktari
07-09-2013, 04:43 AM
It's my goal to learn to camp on my own this summer. So far, I've camped twice for one night on friends properties, and I have three other entire weekends planned between now and the Reunion. Whee!

cara that's awesome! I've never done any solo camping but you inspire me to try it out.

I'm secretary of the committee that's currently in the planning stages of a campout at the end of September at a camp site in Wales called Black Rock Sands.
The Campout is for 100-200 people and we, as the committee, are responsible for keeping everything organised and getting all those people fed twice a day :|

I'm not so sure they're ready for this rather camp camper! :winky:

http://www.blackrocksands.webs.com/

Happy camping one and all

Jesse
07-09-2013, 05:15 AM
I am dying to go camping but tent camping in FL in July is just not a wise thing to do. I will likely wait until September now. :(

nanners
07-09-2013, 05:39 AM
I love camping! I have been told I have a "Better Homes and Gardens" tent before, LOL! I love making it all homey and perfect! I'm just a wifey type, what can I say?

I really want my MN friends, and anyone within driving distance to go camping sometime this fall with me. The colors of the leaves changing is a great tine to go camping, so I hope to make that happen!

Bèsame*
07-09-2013, 08:48 AM
ah, camping!
Such fun. I've missed it greatly. The smell of the campfire. The way the sunrise comes thru a tent. The sounds of dusk. The low voices as everyone retreats to their tents.

I used to decorated the outside of my tent, with wind chimes, pink flamingos, and tiki torches :)

Oh, the memories! To do it some more....
http://www.gizmo-central.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/flamingo-tent-stakes.jpg

MsTinkerbelly
07-09-2013, 10:10 AM

I have camped severeal times alone, and only one time felt unsafe and wound up in my car for the night.

Camping alone gives you a lot of time for quiet reflection, and you can do anything you want whenever you want....which is nice for those of us who are people pleasers and always defer to others.

Blade
07-10-2013, 07:05 PM
I've always camped alone, until the last few years and I met someone that will go camping anytime rain or shine. Don't know that I've ever felt unsafe while camping.

Haven't gotten to camp as much as I had hoped this year so far. It has rained every day for the past 3 weeks. The storms that came threw a few weeks ago closed Morrow Mt for the summer for clean up.

Maybe my luck will change come fall. Also I've found a guy that custom makes teardrop campers. The price is fairly cheap and they are roomy, not like the ones you see at the camper sales lots. Thinking about selling my big camper and having a teardrop custom made for me. It will also be better on gas dragging the teardrop, than the big camper. Not sure what I will do as yet.

I do love tent camping, but in the past 5 yrs I've gotten wet about every time I've gone camping except maybe 4 or 5 times. At least with the teardrop, everything will always be packed and ready to go and I can pitch a tent beside it if I want to or get in the teardrop if it rains.

HAPPY CAMPING EVERYONE!!!

Lady Pamela
07-10-2013, 07:21 PM
Headed out to palisade lake to camp fridays till monday. For a family reunion of manyyyy...lol

Any chance I get to camp and use out door skills is a good day for me.
One of my most favorite things to do.

Packing up and getting food and tent done then will be on our way.
Sooo excited..Hope to get pics...ha
Have fun ya all and be safe!

A little of where I am going.
Not real backlands but will still be really fun.

Palisade State Park, Main Campground, Utah Campsite Photos - YouTube

Bad_boi
08-02-2013, 06:07 AM
Camping is fucking intents.

I miss camping lol. Seems like no one I am friends with likes to go and I don't want to go alone because thats no fun.

PearlsNLace
01-10-2014, 10:36 PM
I booked my first Camping weekend for 2014! Its coastal camping off the Oregon Coast Line, going with a whole bunch of queers Ive never met. Taking my butch, and by then our baby boy will be 3 months old. So I have 6 months to plan how to tent camp with a baby.
I believe we will leave the cloth diapers at home for the event. HAHA.

Oh, Im so excited. Blade, I wish you where going with us my friend. That would make it perfect.

Blade
05-26-2014, 08:59 AM
Pearls, you never came back and told us how camping with a baby went? I wanna know!

I haven't and don't have any camping plans yet for this year. I want to go but have a new rescue dog and chickens and guineas and now the garden.

Probably will go in the next few weeks, cuz after that the garden will be coming off and NOBODY wants to do the work while I'm gone. I tell people I'll be gone for .....days just come pick whatever is ready. You're welcome to it.. Then I come home and there's old veggies on the plants and I have to pick them and throw them away (GRRRRR) and then pick the good stuff.

You'd think since I bought my pop up I'd go a lot more but I haven't. Plus I'm working a lot and don't get off until 5 so that puts a strain on getting somewhere and getting set up before dark.

Shystonefem
05-26-2014, 02:41 PM
So with you on that

Wrang1er
06-16-2014, 08:08 AM
I bought a 3 person pop up tent this weekend.

I have not been camping since July 4th weekend 2011. That was the last camping trip I took with my cousin before she died. She was on steroids and her OCD was in high gear. She must have zipped and unzipped the tent 10,000 times. Bittersweet memories. When I think of camping, I think of her. I put it off because I didn't want to deal with those emotions.

I am ready now.

WildHorses
06-16-2014, 08:17 AM
Bad_boi,

Camping alone is great. Try it sometime. That is usually how I do it, no drama and no worrying about what anyone else wants. My tent is like the taj mahal and I use the whole damn thing!

MsTinkerbelly
06-16-2014, 01:35 PM
We haven't been camping since just after we moved here, and with my physical issues lately, i'm not sure when we will go again.

I miss camping.

Robyn08
06-16-2014, 01:38 PM
I have never been camping....

cinnamongrrl
06-16-2014, 02:52 PM
I have never been camping....

Im so sad for you :(

I love camping! I cant wait for many backpacking trips to Pisgah, Nantahala and along the AT....

homoe
06-16-2014, 04:10 PM
What is this thing you speak of, not familar:blink:

TIMBERWOLF
06-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Yes Please LOL, We have reservations for the 11th-13 to go camping of July. Celebrate my BD with my son, his GF and my 2 grandkids. In Lincoln NH at a great camp site that has a butch woman as security I met when I went to check it out. A little stream (brook) runs behind our site.

TIMBERWOLF
06-17-2014, 10:35 AM
What is this thing you speak of, not familar:blink:

If your up in Seattle go across to the Olympic Pennisula to Port Angeles and you will find a couple of great camp sites. Heart of the Hills and Salt Creek are my two favorites when I lived up there. I think Salt Creek is by far the greatest one where you can watch the eagles fishing in the bay. Just beautiful and breath taking. I have a custom tent and air bed that goes in the back of my truck.

TIMBERWOLF
06-17-2014, 10:39 AM
We haven't been camping since just after we moved here, and with my physical issues lately, i'm not sure when we will go again.

I miss camping.

NO!!! Tink, you got to enjoy it again. I have medical issues and that hasn't stopped me. Get a tent and air mattress and go. I have a CPAP machine so I just make sure I get a site with electric and water and close to the bathroom.

Blade
11-25-2014, 09:11 AM
Had hoped to camp this week, but it's to rain every other day. Also I had plenty to entertain myself with

RanchHand
03-16-2016, 09:39 PM
Anyone getting ready to camping this spring or summer?

homoe
03-16-2016, 11:00 PM
camping??? No, I do not see camping in my future this year OR any other year truth be told!!!

Bèsame*
03-16-2016, 11:03 PM
actually waiting for schedules to co-ordinate to plan something. Already tested the tent, no missing pieces!

Angeltoes
03-17-2016, 12:01 AM
But of course, I go every Summer. Several times, if I can. Some day I want to backpack up the Sawtooth mountains and camp in a remote spot. It's so beautiful, You can find waterfalls and the woods are lush and green. Of course, there may be bears, but people do it all the time and they don't get eaten.

So far, I've only stayed at campgrounds but you can find pretty secluded spots. You can even have a whole inlet like this one to yourself:

This is Redfish Lake

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_NjgcuR6U09Y/TLtDBrwGULI/AAAAAAAACoI/t-DlIIsK2Hg/s640/Redfish_Lake03.jpg

You can camp by the hotsprings

http://img1.sunset.timeinc.net/sites/default/files/image/2006/03/kirkham-hot-springs-x.jpg

I think this is Stanley Lake which is actually my favorite Idaho campground. It's so pretty.

http://idahocampgroundreview.com/chinookbaylake.JPG

Angeltoes
03-17-2016, 12:03 AM

I miss camping.

What about staying in a yurt or something like that? Then you won't have to deal with a tent and and all the gear. Yurts are cool.

RanchHand
03-17-2016, 10:01 PM
That's what I've been doing, testing out my equipment. Making sure my backpack fits properly (loss some weight this winter), testing out my stove and cooking tools, I'm trying out a new sleeping arrangement and I'm still in the process of deciding what I'll do and testing out dehydrating my own foods.
I cannot wait! My first vacation in a very long time and with good friend.

AmazonDC
03-17-2016, 10:26 PM
Just went camping last weekend was amazing can't wait to go a bunch more this summer.. My favorite waterfalls in Paradise are calling Me yet again... Maybe Moab this summer again...

storyspinner70
03-18-2016, 12:06 AM
Camping? Nooooooooo. Nuh-uh. Nope. Not a chance. Nah. Negative. No way. Not gonna happen. Non. Nyet. *Googles more international ways of saying no.*

afemmenatalie
03-18-2016, 12:19 AM
Camping can be wonderful. With the right weather, in a beautiful spot, with your worries left behind, and with a person/people who enjoy each other, it can be awesome!

randrum
03-18-2016, 01:37 AM
Waiting on my tax return. I need to buy a new tent.

Already got my state and county park passes for the year and my fishing license. I'm really looking forward to when I can schedule my first trip of the year.

cinnamongrrl
03-18-2016, 05:29 AM
Waiting on my tax return. I need to buy a new tent.

Already got my state and county park passes for the year and my fishing license. I'm really looking forward to when I can schedule my first trip of the year.

I don't know why....but I really didn't see you as being outdoorsy lol

Wow...you mean I'm NOT always right??? Sheesh

AmazonDC
03-18-2016, 05:44 AM
Camping can be wonderful. With the right weather, in a beautiful spot, with your worries left behind, and with a person/people who enjoy each other, it can be awesome!

Let Me know when you want to go .

randrum
03-18-2016, 11:59 AM
I don't know why....but I really didn't see you as being outdoorsy lol

Wow...you mean I'm NOT always right??? Sheesh

Haha. Really? I grew up camping. My parents had a pop-up camper, and during the summer almost every weekend we went camping.

homoe
03-18-2016, 08:33 PM

Afemmenatalie this is EXACTLY how I feel about staying at a 4 or 5 star hotel:cigar2:

MsTinkerbelly
03-19-2016, 09:00 AM
We are leaving today for the lake!

Even though we have floor issues, we had this trip paid for and planned for quite a while, and we need the time away!

We have a new surf side 30' trailer with a huge slide-out...not camping in some folks minds, but we enjoy the comforts (I'm old) while being in nature. We spend a lot of time searching for good campgrounds instead of just pulling up to a concrete pad somewhere, otherwise we could just stay at home in the driveway. :moonstars:

Blade
03-19-2016, 07:37 PM
We are leaving today for the lake!

Even though we have floor issues, we had this trip paid for and planned for quite a while, and we need the time away!

We have a new surf side 30' trailer with a huge slide-out...not camping in some folks minds, but we enjoy the comforts (I'm old) while being in nature. We spend a lot of time searching for good campgrounds instead of just pulling up to a concrete pad somewhere, otherwise we could just stay at home in the driveway. :moonstars:

At some point ya have to realize it's time to stop laying on the ground. My time for that has come in the last few years.

Hope yall have a great trip!

homoe
05-06-2016, 06:58 PM
Well, I guess it's about time for all you outdoors enthusiasts to start thinking about camping adventures!

I am NOT a camping person let me be clear! HOWEVER I recently saw a area in WA state that IF I were to ever camp, this might be the one place I’d consider!

Twanoh State Park is a 182-acre marine, camping park with 3,167 feet of saltwater shoreline on Hood Canal. The park is situated on one of the warmest saltwater beaches in WA State. This is because Hood Canal is one of the warmest saltwater bodies in Puget Sound. Wading, swimming and oyster and crab harvesting are immensely popular here.

CAMPING
The park has 25 tent spaces, 22 full hookup spaces, six restrooms and one shower. Maximum site length is 35 feet (may have limited availability).. All campsites are first-come, first-served.

BOATING
The park offers one watercraft launch ramp and 100 feet of dock.

TWANOH STATE PARK
12190 E. State Route 106
Union, Washington 98592
Phone: 360-275-2222

Kelt
05-06-2016, 07:12 PM
Hey Homoe,

If you are tempted by the outdoors but want convenience and a touch of luxury, perhaps Glamping (http://http://www.glamping.com/what-is-glamping/) is worth a look. :cheesy:

ASdlqi4aWDc

The older and creakier I get, though I was brought up on "boondock" style camping, I gotta say this has appeal!

MsTinkerbelly
05-06-2016, 09:13 PM
We camped at a state beach near Santa Barbara a few years ago...we were in a RV then, and next to our State Beach was a camping resort.

Full on glamping! We took a tour just for the heck of it, and even joined the outdoor concert and BBQ put on for the guests. They even come to your site and light your campfire for you!

If real luxury in the out of doors is your thing, definitely give glamping a try!

girl_dee
05-06-2016, 09:45 PM
Went lesbian camping last weekend with about 20 women,,,. went on a 5 mile hike, played in a kayak for two days, and jumped in the lake... we forgot firewood and s'more material... still had a great time.....we are planning the next one....

:eatinghersheybar::moonstars:

Logicaly
05-06-2016, 11:47 PM
My family was just talking about doing some camping this summer. We used to camp every year up at Lake Oroville when I was growing up, and it has been some time since we have done so. We are thinking we might have to bust out our camping gear and make that happen this summer.

I greatly enjoy the outdoors and how peaceful and quiet and relaxing it can be. It is so refreshing to be able to disconnect in that way and just enjoy the sounds of nature.

pajama
05-14-2016, 05:34 AM
Went lesbian camping last weekend with about 20 women,,,. went on a 5 mile hike, played in a kayak for two days, and jumped in the lake... we forgot firewood and s'more material... still had a great time.....we are planning the next one....

:eatinghersheybar::moonstars:

If I've never said it on here before, I will say it now.....

PEEPS

Put them on a stick, roast them over a fire, it's like heavenly, caramellized, marshmallowy, napalm. mmmmmmmmmm

girl_dee
05-14-2016, 05:39 AM
If I've never said it on here before, I will say it now.....

PEEPS

Put them on a stick, roast them over a fire, it's like heavenly, caramellized, marshmallowy, napalm. mmmmmmmmmm

NO WAY~~~

i bet its fun to watch them little creatures burn too....

homoe
05-21-2016, 02:47 PM
Who's going camping Memorial Day weekend and where? I can't wait to hear all the gory details oh.... I meant all the fun details:sunglass:

clay
05-21-2016, 03:10 PM
Plans are to go camping (in a TT) over Memorial Day weekend....:)

No "gory details" as it will be a lot of fun!!!!:eatinghersheybar:

homoe
05-21-2016, 03:34 PM
Plans are to go camping (in a TT) over Memorial Day weekend....:)

No "gory details" as it will be a lot of fun!!!!:eatinghersheybar:

May I ask what a TT is? Not familar

clay
05-21-2016, 03:40 PM
May I ask what a TT is? Not familar

sure thing....it is a travel trailer..fully self contained...can use potty, shower, cook, etc in it....26' is one I am supposed to go in...sorry buddy. We have a spot in a local state park that has a dog park, a lake to fish, nature trails, swimming, etc...

PS check your user reps...:)

asphaltcowboi
05-21-2016, 04:02 PM
we have our pride in the pines coming up in June. ill be hooking up to the TT loading up the dogs and were outta here for a few days!! nice KOA with a small dog park, plenty of trails plus it's the same time as "dogs at the park" days. should be a great time!

Kenna
05-21-2016, 04:24 PM
My favorite retreat is camping. I've recently found a place near Emerald Village that I'm anxious to try...but it must stop raining for several days.

Since I'm physically unable to "rough it" at very rustic locations now, I've been thinking of converting an old VW Bug into a custom Tear Drop.

Blade
09-19-2016, 02:20 PM
Camped this past weekend near Lake Lure. Had a nice quiet time, wish I had been able to stay all week

jelli
10-11-2016, 08:59 PM
We absolutely loved camping! Lake Jocassee, Lake Lure, Davidson River, Hunting Island, the list goes on and on.

homoe
05-27-2017, 09:04 AM
Has anyone ever camped here at Twanoh State Park?

Blade
05-13-2018, 07:20 AM
Off the ground now and mostly in KOA cabins. Looking for a used Runaway Rangerunner or a Weeroll. Check out their websites. They are very affordable. I've also thought of converting an enclosed trailer.

MsTinkerbelly
05-13-2018, 07:38 AM
Off the ground now and mostly in KOA cabins. Looking for a used Runaway Rangerunner or a Weeroll. Check out their websites. They are very affordable. I've also thought of converting an enclosed trailer.

Facebook has a lot of groups devoted to camping and converting every vehicle from tiny cars up to school buses.

Happy trails to you......

Blade
02-10-2019, 07:47 PM
I bought a Runaway RangeRunner last summer and used it once. It rained almost every weekend from September to last weekend. I plan on a lot of weekend trips this year. Hopefully at least once a month.