PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Holiday Gifts

Novelafemme
11-24-2010, 12:57 PM
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am continually on a pretty tight budget yet I LOVE to give gifts. So this year I am getting the creative juices flowing and have made a list of things I can pretty easily make that won't break the bank in my house :)

For family I am making homemade jams and jellies. The two I have decided on that have a little southwest flair are; apricot ginger and pomegranate jalapeno. I am also going to make caramel, chocolate cookies sprinkled with sea salt and blackberry brandy truffles.

For friends, the girl's school teachers and misc. acquaintances I am making lavender eye pillows and tassel bookmarks.

I actually just stumbled across the bookmark idea on Martha Stewart's website. I am forever in need of something to mark the book I am reading and this idea seems so simple and sweet.

http://http://www.marthastewart.com/article/tassel-bookmark?backto=true&backtourl=/photogallery/handmade-gifts-for-him#slide_4

I'd love to hear other homemade gift ideas if anyone would like to share :)

JakeTulane
11-24-2010, 01:14 PM
Great thread, Novela. smiles.

I make semi-precious and precious stone jewelry. Right now, I focus alot on bracelets. However, I can make necklaces and earrings as well. I actually started out doing this as a form of meditation... at the urging of a friend of Mine out West. I quickly learned I was not to bad at it.. so I started giving the creations I made away as gifts. That kind of took off.. and I now have My own Etsy shop. I have made some for the members of this very site, whether they ordered them from Me or I have sent them as gifts.

More than anything, I like the knowing that someone is wearing something I handmade just for them. By their choosing of the colors, stone type, charm, or what have you that I might use.

I love the idea of making the tassled bookmarks. I am an avid reader and would enjoy receiving one of those as a gift, indeed.

Same with the making if jams and jellies. When My late maternal Gram was alive she would make Italian (My ethnicity) cookies each year. Anise, etc. We would help her frost them all (and there seemed like a zillion on the table at the time, laughs), and then help her package them up in tins and she would gift them to all the neighbors, family, and friends both here and all the way to California.

I think there are alot of great ideas out there right now, given the economy on how to still share "the love" with friends and family and not have to empty our wallets out to do so. In that vein of thinking, is that not what we should have been doing all along anyhow? smiles.

PinkieLee
11-24-2010, 01:22 PM
What an awesome idea Novela! Homemade gifts come from the heart... and I adore them!

Like many others, money seems to be getting a lil' tighter, so I thought about baking some cookies and/or brownies or making some fudge to give as gifts for friends. Most everyone I know has a lil' bit of a sweet tooth, so I'm thinking it's a win/win situation for all of us!

I had a friend a few years ago, that made the aromatheraphy rice bags for her friends. We all have aches & pains, so those rice bags really come in handy! You just pop it in the microwave for a couple of minutes and then put it wherever there is an ache (kinda like a heating pad). Especially when they are scented with lavender, peppermint or eucalyptus. I'll see if I can find a how-to sheet... I know they are pretty darn cheap to make!

http://www.ehow.com/how_5652312_make-aromatherapy-rice-bags.html

Novelafemme
11-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Thanks, Pinkie and Jake :)

Another fun craft idea is homemade bath salts. I get SOOOO dry in the winter time and bath salts not only sluff off dead skin but they add instant moisture depending on what oil you use.

This is the recipe I am going to use:

2 cups Epsom salt or organic cane sugar
1 cup carrier oil
8 drops essential oil

Stir together Epsom salts or sugar and carrier oil in a bowl, mixing well

Using pipette (or a pressurized essential oil bottle) add oil 1 drop at a time.

Spoon into a decorative jar

A couple of things I have found:

1. Do not use olive or canola oil as carriers. Avocado, apricot, coconut or jojoba work much better.

2. When picking essential oils you might want to stay away from anything minty during the colder months. Mint tends to be drying. I like rose, lavender, apricot...anything richer that will hold moisture in :)

3. You can get really creative with the packaging but remember that these scrubs are used in the shower/bath so certain prints may run :)

Novelafemme
11-24-2010, 01:34 PM
Jake, I would love to see your beedwork! Can you link us to your etsy site?

I also have loving memories of my mom and grandmother making canned goods. At the time we kiddos would tease them that they would can anything that didn't move. Now I realize how much of a necessity it was for us to make it through the winter on a tighter food budget.

Great thread, Novela. smiles.

I make semi-precious and precious stone jewelry. Right now, I focus alot on bracelets. However, I can make necklaces and earrings as well. I actually started out doing this as a form of meditation... at the urging of a friend of Mine out West. I quickly learned I was not to bad at it.. so I started giving the creations I made away as gifts. That kind of took off.. and I now have My own Etsy shop. I have made some for the members of this very site, whether they ordered them from Me or I have sent them as gifts.

More than anything, I like the knowing that someone is wearing something I handmade just for them. By their choosing of the colors, stone type, charm, or what have you that I might use.

I love the idea of making the tassled bookmarks. I am an avid reader and would enjoy receiving one of those as a gift, indeed.

Same with the making if jams and jellies. When My late maternal Gram was alive she would make Italian (My ethnicity) cookies each year. Anise, etc. We would help her frost them all (and there seemed like a zillion on the table at the time, laughs), and then help her package them up in tins and she would gift them to all the neighbors, family, and friends both here and all the way to California.

I think there are alot of great ideas out there right now, given the economy on how to still share "the love" with friends and family and not have to empty our wallets out to do so. In that vein of thinking, is that not what we should have been doing all along anyhow? smiles.

Greyson
11-24-2010, 01:52 PM
I am not a great cook or a crafter type of person. But... I could give out "rainchecks" for things like washing and detailing their car, ironing one weeks worth of work clothes, dog walking, yard work, taking the kids for a couple of hours to the movies or library so mom can get a break.

Do you think these types of gifts would be useful to some? I tend to go with gift certificates but the like most, the budget is less this year.

Novelafemme
11-24-2010, 01:58 PM
GREY!!! That is a FABULOUS idea :) And if you don't mind, I'm gonna steal it ;) I love that!! My girls are forever begging for back tickles, so these coupons will help regulate them to a more forgiving schedule!! YAY!!

I am not a great cook or a crafter type of person. But... I could give out "rainchecks" for things like washing and detailing their car, ironing one weeks worth of work clothes, dog walking, yard work, taking the kids for a couple of hours to the movies or library so mom can get a break.

Do you think these types of gifts would be useful to some? I tend to go with gift certificates but the like most, the budget is less this year.

katsarecool
11-24-2010, 02:14 PM
I love making gifts for family members!!! If I had a dime for every scarf and mitten set I have knitted over the years I would be weathly!

This year for the little ones in my life; they are each getting a story/coloring book with watercolor illustrations written and painted by me. The boys and I love to make up stories.

I love the idea of food and herbs in decorative jars and homemade brownies and cookies.

Blade
11-24-2010, 02:28 PM
This year I'm giving salsa to those I know like it. I have also given homemade chocolates and various flavors of pecans. Mom likes them with lots of garlic, some like 'em with milk chocolate, some with an onion flavor. I've also in the past made breads and cakes that I knew people had tasted and liked. I've cleaned yards, changed oil, I've done some woodwork in the past and given it to folks. And in case anyone hasn't dropped their jaw yet....drummmmm roll please I've even cross stitched some stuff and given as gifts.

katsarecool
11-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Hmmm salsa! And chocolates!!!! LOL

Passionaria
11-24-2010, 02:50 PM
I love hearing everyone's ideas. It is special to get homemade goodies, and yes jewelery!!!

My family is Scandinavian, and we always bake Cinnamon rolls the day before Christmas. Yummy for Christmas breakfast, with coffee. But most of them go to our neighbors. People look for them!!! I'm still searching for ideas, thank you all for getting my brain in gear.

http://img4.myrecipes.com/i/recipes/sl/01/02/cinnamon-rolls-sl-258203-l.jpg

Blade
11-24-2010, 02:51 PM

Yep, homemade mounds, and Reese's, chocolate covered pecans, Christmas Bark. Just call me wonder Blade and unfortunately ya can't buy one in the store I'm the only one.LOL

Random
11-24-2010, 02:59 PM

Greyson..

I for one LOVE...LOVE...LOVE rainchecks and personal coupons...

I feel.. it's easy to write a check, or whip out the plastic, but it's harder to give the gift of self and time...

Lol.. you do have to gadge what would be received well... For me.. a coupon for doing laundry wouldn't go over as well as detailing her car... (I suck at laundry and she doesn't mind doing it... but she likes a clean car and hardly ever gets around to cleaning it..)

WolfyOne
11-24-2010, 03:06 PM
For anyone making bookmarks for the holidays, here's a site that lets you copy images and use

Check it out: http://www.graphicgarden.com/files17/eng/print/bookmark.php

Kenna
11-24-2010, 03:19 PM

Yep, homemade mounds, and Reese's, chocolate covered pecans, Christmas Bark. Just call me wonder Blade and unfortunately ya can't buy one in the store I'm the only one.LOL

Hey now!! I think Blade forgot to mention that it's "Sweet's Green 'Mater Salsa"! ;) ;)
I used this recipe: http://www.shewearsmanyhats.com/2010/08/tomatillo-salsa-verde-recipe/ but used the end-of-season green tomatoes instead of tomatillos. It turned out so YUMMY that I have to hide the jars from Blade!

All you need is an oven to roast the 'maters, garlic, and peppers...and a food processor, it's VERY easy to make.

I think Homemade Salsa Baskets are a really great idea, and other baskets, because you can jazz them up in many different ways.

Now..... I can't wait for the kitchen to smell like homemade chocolates!! :cheesy:

Gayla
11-24-2010, 03:20 PM
In the past, my coworkers and I have always agreed not to exchange gifts but things are a little different this year. I work with some amazingly creative and thoughtful people who do not ever forget a birthday or anniversary, hand write thank you cards and bring each other little surprises back from trips. They are also very big on "just because" presents. I'm not so great at any of those things and can barely remember my own birthday much less an office of 30 people, most of whom I only see once a month or so!

So I'm starting to feel the pressure!

Everyone will get cards but there are about a dozen people for whom I'd like to do something special. It was going to just be cookies but now Blade has me thinking about pecans. Hmmm....