PDA

View Full Version : Who is Your Hero?

suebee
12-29-2010, 02:47 PM
The topic of what makes someone a hero came up on another thread. There are a lot of different ways to define a hero. For me it's someone who is ordinary in most ways, but is able to reach into themselves and pull out their best when it matters. It may be on one specific occasion where it really matters, or on a long-term basis - just plugging away according to their own personal values until the job is done.

What does the word "hero" mean to you? Who is/are your heros and why?

Here are a couple of mine:

Terry Fox: He went above and beyond his physical capabilites in order to raise money and awareness in regards to cancer. He sure succeeded!

YouTube - Terry: A Hero To Believe

Steve Irwin: This man has single-handedly made nature and animal awareness and conservation a household value all over the world.

YouTube - steve irwin tribute 1

* My apologies. For some reason I haven't been able to post videos for some time now.

Invictus
12-29-2010, 03:05 PM
Teachers, Firefighters, and Police Officers

katsarecool
12-29-2010, 03:10 PM
All the women in the Sufferage Movement. The female doctors, nurses and lay people who worked for decades to make sure that millions of women had birth control information and the things they needed to control the number of children. Some of them lost their lives, some were beaten and brutalized, some were jailed and some even sacrificed their happiness with their own families. This saved the lives of uncountless numbers of women.I know their names, I have their bios in my library but you all know who I mean.

suebee
12-29-2010, 03:11 PM
Teachers, Firefighters, and Police Officers

...and I'll add to that list - those who parent children.

Julie
12-29-2010, 04:05 PM
Thank You... I have so many hero's in my life - but this one brought me to two hero's in my life.

Jimmy and Keith!

When I was 17 years old, I had been living on the street for about a year (in Hollywood) there was an older couple (28 & 29) who took me in as their daughter. Jimmy and Keith.

They saved my life!

They are both gone now - First Jimmy and then Keith. They had broken up when I was 19 - but Jimmy found Richie and they were married and loved one another till Jimmy died in 1990.

Richie and I made Jimmy his quilt - It was displayed at the Names Project for the first time in 1992 in DC.
I just did a search for the panel on the Names Project Website.

Here is his quilt - Always to be remembered. Jimmy Blue Eyes!

http://173.165.165.36:591/FMRes/FMPro?-db=search%20the%20quilt.fp5&key=37474&-img

JAGG
12-29-2010, 08:17 PM
LEWIS B. PULLER "CHESTY"
Remarkable man, awesome leader, loving father, wonderful husband. He waited for 11 years for his wife to finally realize he was the one for her. She almost married someone else, she was engaged to a man she had dated for 3 yrs. . But the closer it got to the wedding date the more she realized all she thought about was Chesty. She compared every man to him, and no one could ever come close . She broke off the engagement and eventually said yes to Chesty who asked her to marry him 11 years earlier, at the time she said no and thought he was crazy for asking . She hardly knew him. And he was going off to war. But they kept in touch as freinds and wrote all the time. On their wedding night, he told her, she had made him the happiest man in the world. He was the most decorated Marine in the history of the Marine Corps. History marks his legend, a fierce unwavering warrior in battle, a calm, intelligent, compassionate, level headed man, off the battle field. A seasoned and decorated combat veteran of 3 wars, a general in his dress uniform who had no reservations about sitting on a hospital room floor and cutting out paper dolls with his 5yr old daughter who just got her tonsils out.
I try to pattern my character after him.

Ima Dandy
01-03-2011, 12:24 AM
"heros" well i have several catagories ........but in the first is my Mom, my Grammie, my Gram, & my two Great Aunts...they raised me. There is also my Dad & My Gampmie into the mix.........they happened to be femminist too, tho they did not realize it, & taught me to open doors for the former & keep their snow shoveled....they are all my Heros, they taught me right from wrong & respect for others & the animals & water & air & dirt........they knew that you can't live without good soil & good water, that in hard times that the folk around you are who are THERE....they taught me to belive....in myself..in them ...in love...

on the other side of things.............Zorro & Gomez Addams............

& the list of Feminist & Activists is almost endless...........

Kenna
01-03-2011, 02:20 AM
My oldest son's paternal grandparents...
for many reasons near and dear to my heart.
I would have NEVER got this far without them....I would have never known what it was like to be LOVED, RESPECTED AND HONORED by two of THE MOST AMAZING People ever, next to my Great Gramma.

Without them, I wouldn't have gained confidence or my fierce independence; my education; known what it was like to hear laughter in a family home; would have never known what it was like to have a REAL dad; learned assertiveness and self-worth from the woman who became my "other Momma"; early on - often times I wouldn't have had the money for food on the table or necessary health care for my son; I would never have been able to "climb REALLY HIGH on that corporate ladder" without their support; wouldn't have overcome some very serious barriers in my life without their understanding and guidance; would NEVER have survived an extremely abusive relationship, brutal rapes, many long hospital stays or the loss of my youngest son; I would never have learned to fight for what is right in my life; to break a cycle of dependency and co-dependency; NEVER known that I was "good enough to be loved" and smart enough to be educated; and never known what a Loving, real home felt like..... (I could go on all night)

Many times in the early years, "Dad" would even come to my work to get my old car, leave his fancy car for me to drive home and take mine to the shop... refusing for me to pay anything. He paid a couple thousand dollars to keep my old beast running. I could ALWAYS count on him to help me trouble shoot things and teach me how to do stuff that I would normally need to call a repair shop for.

I owe my life to Momma.... she was there every step, no matter how bad things got or what kind of crisis. She held me, cried with me and grieved with me - and probably more than I did- when my youngest son, who was no relation to her, passed away. She showed me that life didn't end that day....that she would stand by my side while I learned to and wanted to live again.

There are many times in my younger years that they literally saved me. The most amazing feeling to me is knowing the feeling of unconditional love they have for me and I for them, the bond we have and the REAL FAMILY we have become. I would have never known what Hope was. They are my Angels, my Heroes, my Teachers, my Guides and my Soul Parents.

I love them with all my heart....

Another Hero is Helen Keller.... for many personal reasons, for strength of overcoming tremendous barriers and her thirst for education and literacy.

suebee
01-03-2011, 10:51 AM
I have a very good friend, she's probably in her eighties by now (but a lady never tells ;) ). She's a good Catholic, does volunteer work, recycles, always wears a skirt and makeup when she goes out. But that's just what people see. This woman has never refused another in need. I don't know how many times she has taken in seniors when they are no longer able to stay in their own home, and let them stay - without asking ANYTHING from them, until they were able to go back home, or had another place to go. We don't talk often. We now live hundreds of miles away. But she is still my favorite person in the world. And yes, this unassuming woman is my personal hero. I love you Gertie. You're good people!

Glenn
01-03-2011, 11:00 AM
GODDESS/GOD; With Whom nothing is impossible! :rose:

asphaltcowboi
01-03-2011, 11:01 AM
my older sister is my hero! she took on the job of raising all 6 of us when mom and dad both had to work long hours. now that mom and dad are gone she still holds this family together plus her own family while working long hours herself. she is always available to talk to when ever anyone needs a ear or a sounding board. she is always there should any of us get ourself in a tuff situation or end up sick in the hospital. i just dont know how she does it. i can only hope i am half the person she is!

katsarecool
01-03-2011, 08:17 PM
Betty Friedan, Gloria Steinam, Virgina Woolf, Colleen McCullough, Barbara Shaw (my mother) and all the other brave women who were on the front lines for women's rights. I can never thank you enough for all your sacrifices and your bravery!

bigbutchmistie
01-03-2011, 08:21 PM
My mom is my hero and always will be...

This woman lost her kids, and her mom the same day... And lived a productive life afterwards...

I have lost my mother, and understand that pain. I dont understand how losing her kids too didnt put her in a mental institution...

She was a strong woman... :)

Sam
01-03-2011, 08:40 PM
My son Avery is my hero, he has overcome so much in his 3 years of life, he amazes me daily. he has taught me unconditional love.

i'm a different person because of him.

RockOn
01-03-2011, 08:41 PM
I was going to say Wiley E. Coyote from Roadrunner cartoons. Honestly, I always say he is my hero because he NEVER GIVES UP. And he takes a smackdown every single time by his ignorant schemes. Perhaps the only purpose of his life is to serve as a warning to others.

But ...
I will give it some serious thought and come back later. I do have a lot of people I admire a great deal ...

Good topic!
Brock

P.S. BEEP! BEEP! <-------- I just hadda do it! LOL!
;)

Soft*Silver
01-03-2011, 09:20 PM
my heroes are those kids who live thru each day with abusive parents. They have no say, they cant get away. They are subject to the evil whims of the sins of their tormentors. Somehow some of them survive. Some die. Those who go on to live, some turn out bad but some turn out ok. I dont care how they turned out. The fact that they survived at all is amazing to me....

suebee
01-03-2011, 10:19 PM
I have a very good friend, she's probably in her eighties by now (but a lady never tells ;) ). She's a good Catholic, does volunteer work, recycles, always wears a skirt and makeup when she goes out. But that's just what people see. This woman has never refused another in need. I don't know how many times she has taken in seniors when they are no longer able to stay in their own home, and let them stay - without asking ANYTHING from them, until they were able to go back home, or had another place to go. We don't talk often. We now live hundreds of miles away. But she is still my favorite person in the world. And yes, this unassuming woman is my personal hero. I love you Gertie. You're good people!

Thought about what I'd written, so I called Gertie how I felt. Why should we just tell strangers who are heros are?

citybutch
01-03-2011, 10:29 PM
My wife

And I will be back for more... but that is all I can state at this very moment...:heartbeat:

Kelt
01-03-2011, 11:03 PM
Buckminster "Bucky" Fuller

A free and original thinker if there ever was one.

Strappie
01-03-2011, 11:03 PM
I can't say I've ever had any hero's growing up, at least not the typical hero's like famous people. Mine have always been the ones that I can touch, talk to and sit and listen to.

My Mom because she has always been the back bone of my family. She has taught me so many valuable things in life. She hasn't ever been the one to sit me down and tell me this is how it is. I just followed her and listened when she spoke and watched how she interacted with others. One of the things she has taught me is the value of friendships and how important they are in ones life. By Choosing the right people to be surrounded by we too came become part of them. If you are surrounded by good and healthy people it rubs off.

So My hero is My Mom... I love her dearly!!

Thank you Mom for showing me that life does matter and that our actions really have an effect on our lives.

citybutch
01-04-2011, 01:07 PM
My Mom! Chiming in with others who have posted this as well...

The scary thing is... the older I get the more I can see her in me... What's THAT mean?

My mother is a rock, an inspiration, a guide, and a true example of a woman with dignity, spiritual maturity, and integrity. She is someone whom I hope to continue to emulate as long as I live...

Blade
01-04-2011, 01:24 PM
I have a friend who is a highly decorated Vietnam veteran.....he says hero's are in Arlington or some cemetery or cripple. I only partially agree with that, as I do believe those folks are hero's but I also believe we have hero's in everyday life to.

Actually I'll tell people from day to day "See now you're my new hero" maybe they helped me pick up a mess at work, or gave me their parking place, or showed me how to do something, or perhaps they are telling me how they've helped someone else.

I have a guy at work whose Mom went to hospice 3 wks before Christmas, his Dad had a heart attack the Monday before Christmas, he has his own family and job but keeps everything together to keep his parents content he's the last person I told he was my hero...he cried then said, ya do what ya gotta do.

So today and for the purpose of this thread all caregivers and hospice workers are my hero's. They must be some of the strongest folks on earth at any given moment.