:|

:daywalker:

Soft*Silver
01-14-2011, 02:41 PM
whats a swap?

Daywalker
01-14-2011, 02:46 PM
whats a swap?

Basically we put people into a swap group and you make a mix CD for each person in your group and mail it to them and you receive their mix CDs in return!

I have participated in several of these and they were a GREAT way to hear new artists :)

There ya go!

:weedsmoke:

tonaderspeisung
01-14-2011, 02:47 PM
what's a swap in 4 easy steps

1 create a mix cd - the music can be anything even not music
2 make a couple copies
3 put them in the mail
4 check your post box and find something other than advertisements and garbage bills

come join the fun

Logicaly
01-14-2011, 08:05 PM
I'm excited! Thanks for organizing this!

Gemme
01-14-2011, 09:22 PM
It's going to be great....as long as no one wants it before mid-February.

:blink:

I just got my schedule through the end of the month and I'm not sure I'll survive yet.

rainintothesea
01-14-2011, 09:38 PM
Yes, please!

tonaderspeisung
01-16-2011, 12:37 PM
a couple points have been queried regarding the swap mailings

question: who will have access to my mailing address?
answer: i will run this swap very much like swap 1 - i will be the only one with return mailing info
1 when swap groups are announced i will provide a central address to which all group packages will be mailed.
2 just place inside your group package: your screen name and an equal package sized bubble envelope with appropriate return postage and enough address information for your postal worker to deliver it
3 i will seal your new swaps inside and drop them in a post box

question: will i have to mail stuff to germany?
answer: no - i live in the united states of america
that being said this swap is open to everyone i'd be happy to send stuff to germany
so come join the fun

the swap list thus far:
● QueenofSmirks
● Gemme
● Ebon
● Logicaly
● tonaderspeisung
● Suebee
● Daywalker
● Diva
● rainintothesea

suebee
01-16-2011, 06:45 PM
How many people will be in each group? Does anybody have objections to it being more than five? I found that most of the work was in actually choosing the songs. Burning a couple extra didn't take much time and I'd LOVE to get as much new music as I can! What's the feeling on this?

Sue

Kätzchen
01-16-2011, 07:35 PM
a couple points have been queried regarding the swap mailings

question: who will have access to my mailing address?
answer: i will run this swap very much like swap 1 - i will be the only one with return mailing info
1 when swap groups are announced i will provide a central address to which all group packages will be mailed.
2 just place inside your group package: your screen name and an equal package sized bubble envelope with appropriate return postage and enough address information for your postal worker to deliver it
3 i will seal your new swaps inside and drop them in a post box

question: will i have to mail stuff to germany?
answer: no - i live in the united states of america
that being said this swap is open to everyone i'd be happy to send stuff to germany
so come join the fun

the swap list thus far:
● QueenofSmirks
● Gemme
● Ebon
● Logicaly
● tonaderspeisung
● Suebee
● Daywalker
● Diva
● rainintothesea

ALovelyKiss

tonaderspeisung
01-17-2011, 06:11 PM
How many people will be in each group? Does anybody have objections to it being more than five? I found that most of the work was in actually choosing the songs. Burning a couple extra didn't take much time and I'd LOVE to get as much new music as I can! What's the feeling on this?

Sue

the number of people per group will depend on the number of participants
my personal preference is for smaller groups

smaller groups = more possible group options and therefore anticipation about what group you will end up in

smaller groups = mystery and intrigue over all the swaps you missed out on therefore it's more likely one would join the next swap

6 days left to sign up

the swap list thus far:
● QueenofSmirks
● Gemme
● Ebon
● Logicaly
● tonaderspeisung
● Suebee
● Daywalker
● Diva
● rainintothesea
● ALovelyKiss

suebee
01-17-2011, 07:19 PM

smaller groups = more possible group options and therefore anticipation about what group you will end up in

smaller groups = mystery and intrigue over all the swaps you missed out on therefore it's more likely one would join the next swap

6 days left to sign up

the swap list thus far:
● QueenofSmirks
● Gemme
● Ebon
● Logicaly
● tonaderspeisung
● Suebee
● Daywalker
● Diva
● rainintothesea
● ALovelyKiss

Bigger groups equals more music! :choir:

tonaderspeisung
01-18-2011, 06:27 PM
sure discovering something new or rediscovering something long forgotten is a fun aspect of mix swaps
but it's not the only aspect

like you said - most of the work is making the mix
some people spend hours, days, months even; collecting the perfect set of songs
it's self expression and revelation in about 80 minutes

i like to spend time with a mix listening for what's being shared besides music
it's a great way to get to know someone

this swap is under the community, groups and relationships category
i'd like to approach this swap kind of like a 3rd grade write a letter to a pen pal and get to know a BFP neighbor so to speak
groups of 3 at the most

of course i'm open to group input for 5 more days

Gemme
01-18-2011, 09:04 PM
I can see the benefits of both ways of doing it but I'm with Sue. I don't think we're going to have so many folks sign up that it would be extremely tedious to do it as one big group. I know that I'd like to share and learn from everyone on the list.

I initially became interested in this some time ago, but I couldn't participate then. Once I saw the cds that my friends were getting, I really REALLY wanted to do this. So, I'm all for all in.

Kätzchen
01-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Thank you for being receptive toward group needs;
whether we have small or large groups of participants.

I have a question though:
How much time will we be allowed to put a compilation together?
I just began my last (final) semester of studies and I would appreciate
a heads up regarding a time deadline. I'm thinking I could have a music
compilation put together by the first or second week of March.

Thanks,
~D

suebee
01-19-2011, 12:52 AM
sure discovering something new or rediscovering something long forgotten is a fun aspect of mix swaps
but it's not the only aspect

like you said - most of the work is making the mix
some people spend hours, days, months even; collecting the perfect set of songs
it's self expression and revelation in about 80 minutes

i like to spend time with a mix listening for what's being shared besides music
it's a great way to get to know someone

this swap is under the community, groups and relationships category
i'd like to approach this swap kind of like a 3rd grade write a letter to a pen pal and get to know a BFP neighbor so to speak
groups of 3 at the most

of course i'm open to group input for 5 more days

Perhaps you could simply send a PM to those who have signed up so far and ask their preference. I think everyone should have an input on this.

I put an awful lot of work into my last mix - and that's because I wanted to share something of myself with my cd. But it IS an awful lot of work, and it IS an exchange. To take all that time for an exchange with two other people..... I'm sorry, but it's not really something that would interest me.

Looking forward to seeing the preferences of others.

Sue

Kätzchen
01-19-2011, 03:53 AM
My preference is to participate in a smaller group.
Thank you in advance,
~D

Fancy
01-19-2011, 04:51 AM

6 days left to sign up

the swap list thus far:
● QueenofSmirks
● Gemme
● Ebon
● Logicaly
● tonaderspeisung
● Suebee
● Daywalker
● Diva
● rainintothesea
● ALovelyKiss

*Fancy

:)

tonaderspeisung
01-19-2011, 05:11 PM
originally posted by Suebee
I put an awful lot of work into my last mix - and that's because I wanted to share something of myself with my cd. But it IS an awful lot of work, and it IS an exchange. To take all that time for an exchange with two other people..... I'm sorry, but it's not really something that would interest me.

i understand where you are coming from but i'd like this swap to be more than an exchange
i'd like it to be about making connections
not best friends for life, soul mates or crazy stuff like that
but a real world human connection
maybe this is all naval gazing philosophy but it is why i volunteered to organize the swap

you put a lot of work into your last mix
i received a copy of your mix - it was great
i just played it again
the work you put in showed - cover art, song flow, the way certain instrumentation flowed from one track to another - really great
as i type this and your mix is playing i know a real human is reading this on the other side of the data bits hurling through space
a real human connection
i think that is lost on the larger swap groups full of mass thank you/ reps to anonymous screen names

id like this swap to be an opportunity to make more connections like that

i propose that the swap groups remain small and everyone is free to pm and make arrangements to swap with people they are not grouped
this will build personal investment in the swap and foster the human exchanges i'd like this swap to achieve

the swap list thus far:
● QueenofSmirks
● Gemme
● Ebon
● Logicaly
● tonaderspeisung
● Suebee
● Daywalker
● Diva
● rainintothesea
● ALovelyKiss
● Fancy

suebee
01-19-2011, 09:28 PM
i understand where you are coming from but i'd like this swap to be more than an exchange
i'd like it to be about making connections
not best friends for life, soul mates or crazy stuff like that
but a real world human connection
maybe this is all naval gazing philosophy but it is why i volunteered to organize the swap

you put a lot of work into your last mix
i received a copy of your mix - it was great
i just played it again
the work you put in showed - cover art, song flow, the way certain instrumentation flowed from one track to another - really great
as i type this and your mix is playing i know a real human is reading this on the other side of the data bits hurling through space
a real human connection
i think that is lost on the larger swap groups full of mass thank you/ reps to anonymous screen names

id like this swap to be an opportunity to make more connections like that

i propose that the swap groups remain small and everyone is free to pm and make arrangements to swap with people they are not grouped
this will build personal investment in the swap and foster the human exchanges i'd like this swap to achieve

the swap list thus far:
● QueenofSmirks
● Gemme
● Ebon
● Logicaly
● tonaderspeisung
● Suebee
● Daywalker
● Diva
● rainintothesea
● ALovelyKiss
● Fancy

Just a thought on what I've highlighted above: the big advantage of a swap is that we don't HAVE TO make all those arrangements with each individual to exchange our cd's.
My girl came up with a suggestion tonight when I was discussing this with her: a small group for those who prefer that, and a larger group for those who would prefer that. It would be nice to hear from everyone as to their preference.

Sue

tonaderspeisung
01-21-2011, 11:23 AM
the fact that we don't have to interact with each individual is really my whole point

i'd like swap 2 to be an opportunity to wave to your neighbor

the only extra arrangements necessary are a quick - hi, wanna trade too?
smaller groups just give everyone an opening to say hi to each other

the swap list thus far:
● QueenofSmirks
● Gemme
● Ebon
● Logicaly
● tonaderspeisung
● Suebee
● Daywalker
● Diva
● rainintothesea
● ALovelyKiss
● Fancy
● xxfemmexx

Daywalker
01-21-2011, 12:22 PM
Smaller groups ~ my attention span has a mind of it's own.
:koolaid:

xxfemmexx
01-21-2011, 06:06 PM
I officially made my way over here to this thread :) I am in like I said on the other post. Just got done reading everything thats been said I understand the reason for small swap groups but I am also willing to do bigger ones or even 1 on 1's with anyone who wants more swaps.

Waldo
01-21-2011, 09:12 PM
As the originator of the CDX I'll pipe in to say the reason for the small swap set originates is that fact that many people run into burn limits on their mix. If you use iTunes and get all your music from a source with DRM you'll find that you can only burn that mix so many times before you're forced to change the mix.

You're free to do what you want, but my recommendation is to keep it small.

QueenofSmirks
01-21-2011, 09:40 PM
I prefer smaller groups. More than that, I prefer to follow what the coordinator would like to do, since this is a volunteer effort on the coordinator's part - a rather large effort, I might add. There were suggestions made for those who want to participate with larger groups, so it seems to me the question has been asked and answered more than once.

tonaderspeisung
01-22-2011, 10:17 AM
2 days left to register mix swap 2

if you'd like to join the fun or share your opinions and swap ideas
there is no time like the present
i appreciate all the feedback

groups and further instructions will be announced on monday

the swap list thus far:
● QueenofSmirks
● Gemme
● Ebon
● Logicaly
● tonaderspeisung
● Suebee
● Daywalker
● Diva
● rainintothesea
● ALovelyKiss
● Fancy
● xxfemmexx
● desdansmoncoeur

Gemme
01-22-2011, 03:02 PM
As the originator of the CDX I'll pipe in to say the reason for the small swap set originates is that fact that many people run into burn limits on their mix. If you use iTunes and get all your music from a source with DRM you'll find that you can only burn that mix so many times before you're forced to change the mix.

You're free to do what you want, but my recommendation is to keep it small.

This is an interesting point and one I wasn't aware of. Thanks for mentioning it! Although....couldn't they just change the order of the songs but leave them the same songs? This will be my first music exchange, so I may very well run into problems myself, and it's good to know what's generally feasible.

Waldo
01-22-2011, 10:38 PM
This is an interesting point and one I wasn't aware of. Thanks for mentioning it! Although....couldn't they just change the order of the songs but leave them the same songs? This will be my first music exchange, so I may very well run into problems myself, and it's good to know what's generally feasible.

I'm unsure if that would work, actually. It's been a long time since it came up, but I think the music signature may negate that possibility. HOWEVER, which it *may* technically be possible there are more than a few people who consider their mix to be a work of personal expression and work diligently to ensure that each song flows perfectly into the next and the very idea of "just change the order" is heretic to them. But I digress.

tonaderspeisung
01-23-2011, 05:35 PM
last call
swap 2 groups will be assigned tomorrow

suebee
01-23-2011, 08:15 PM
Do we have a tally in regards to preference for group size?

suebee
01-23-2011, 10:20 PM
I guess I'll sit this one out. Have fun everyone!

tonaderspeisung
01-24-2011, 03:17 PM
thank you everyone for your interest in mix swap 2
registration is now closed and the following swap groups have been randomly selected

group 1
Ebon
Daywalker
ALovelyKiss

group 2
tonaderspeisung
xxfemmexx
desdansmoncoeur

group 3
QueenofSmirks
Fancy
Logicaly

group 4
Diva
rainintothesea
Gemme

Randomized list generated Jan 24 2011 at 12:54:55

the mix mailing deadline is Friday February 18th 2011
specific mailing details will be provided via private message

go forth and create your masterpiece

QueenofSmirks
02-08-2011, 07:50 AM
group 1
Ebon
Daywalker
ALovelyKiss

group 2
tonaderspeisung
xxfemmexx
desdansmoncoeur

group 4
Diva
rainintothesea
Gemme

If any of the other group members would like a copy of my CD, please email me your name and shipping address to queenofsmirks@msn.com.

Looking forward to swapping! (wait, that sounded .... nevermind! *grin* )

tonaderspeisung
02-09-2011, 07:13 PM
how are the mixes coming along?

i attempted to tell the story of my favorite movie via track list but don't have a song that adequately portrays just how dark ben's intentions are towards little danny :(

so i'm starting over from scratch

remember mixes should be finished and mailed by the 18th
that's 9 more days

bright_arrow
02-09-2011, 09:26 PM
I have a lot of music, but none of it is anything like hidden dark and deep from the depths of somewhere so I'm not sure what I have will be "new".

And I was trying to go with a theme/genre... :blink:

Needless to say I am still scratching my head a little LOL

tonaderspeisung
02-17-2011, 06:25 PM
are we gonna make the deadline?

all mixes should be mailed to the drop point by tomorrow

i just finished making all my covers :)

Daywalker
02-17-2011, 07:28 PM
The Pneumonia has me behind by a day.
:cough:

But I will expedite said task thru quick delivery system.
:gotmail:

No fancy labels, just another round metal Gift to make ya move
:rainsing:

bright_arrow
02-17-2011, 09:45 PM

I remembered tonight we used all our stamps for Christmas cards, so I made a 10pm stop at my bank atm where they, luckily, sell stamps!

I never, ever have cash so boi is breaking hys $10 at work tonight to give me $5 bill to include.

They will be dropped in the mail in the morning before it's collected :)

I'd go to the post office but it's located in a hectic hell-ish, uber busy place so I'll be sending it off from home in bubble-wrap cushioned mailers :)

QueenofSmirks
02-17-2011, 11:36 PM

Mine are burned, but I realized today I didn't have anything to ship them in! So, I'm going to try to drop the tomorrow!

Sparkle
02-18-2011, 10:00 AM

Just an FYI

Itunes does limit the number of copies you can make from mixes created on Itunes with a certain percentage of music bought from Itunes.

I believe the total number of copies can not exceed 8. I've bumped up against this limit a few times.

You can alter your mix and start "fresh" with your copies, but you will be required to significantly alter your mix (ie. you can't just rearrange it) you'll need to delete at least one/two songs, add a song (or a track of silence) and change the order slightly.

When I make mixes, I labour over them... trying to get the *right* collection in the *right* order, the overall feel of the collection of music and the transitions between them are really important to me --- so changing the order and adding/deleting songs drives me crazy.

But the answer is yes, you can work around that copy-limit if you're open to altering your mix.

Gemme
02-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the input on Itunes and burning in general. Our music is already on our computer, so we didn't have any of those issues. Ebon and I did a collective disk, which means he played some music and I said 'yes' or 'no' and we went from there. He wouldn't put Britney on there though. :blink:

They'll be in the mail this afternoon, once I find two more sleeves. Bah!

tonaderspeisung
03-02-2011, 07:03 PM
hello everyone

i've received half of the packages and once the others arrive i will do a mass mailing.
i think the holiday and crazy weather goings on have the mail on slow and they should be here any day but if you haven't mailed your package yet please pm me.

cheers

Gemme
03-04-2011, 10:48 AM
hello everyone

i've received half of the packages and once the others arrive i will do a mass mailing.
i think the holiday and crazy weather goings on have the mail on slow and they should be here any day but if you haven't mailed your package yet please pm me.

cheers

Ebon and I have moved since this project began. I'll pm you our new addy.

Daywalker
03-04-2011, 04:46 PM
I hope mah Swappers enjoy their Tunes.

:guitar:

Threw in an extra copy for the Swap Wrangler.
:cheesy:

Wee.

tonaderspeisung
03-09-2011, 08:12 PM
hello everyone

quick update

we are still short a couple packages and i've pm'd inquiries so i can give you all a better timeline for the send out date.

cheers

tonaderspeisung
03-16-2011, 04:59 PM
hello everyone

looks like i will be mailing the packages out by this weekend

i feel like a kid at christmas with all these unlistened to mixes - i'm way excited to find out what everyone mixed up

:)

Daywalker
03-16-2011, 05:05 PM
Looking forward to the Tunes!

Daywalker
03-25-2011, 02:18 PM
Anyone get their packages yet?

tonaderspeisung
03-25-2011, 04:04 PM
seriously????? :(
how many are still waiting?
i bumped everyone up to 2 day priority and mailed Saturday the 19th

f$#$#@ck - i opted out of the confirmation numbers

Daywalker
03-25-2011, 04:11 PM
seriously????? :(
how many are still waiting?
i bumped everyone up to 2 day priority and mailed Saturday the 19th

f$#$#@ck - i opted out of the confirmation numbers

In yer defense...LOL...I haven't checked my mail in a couple days.

Did U at least get to play the copy I sent for ya?

:police:

tonaderspeisung
03-25-2011, 04:17 PM
let me know if you don't find anything in your mailbox please :)
i was waiting for others to receive theirs before i started rocking out - it seems only fair

Gemme
03-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Ebon and I got ours, minus of course the people who opted not to participate that were in our groups.

Daywalker
03-28-2011, 12:20 AM
Oh, by the way...mine arrived!

Will take to listening tomorrow.
:tinfoil:

One of them is super fancy.
:artist:
Wwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

QueenofSmirks
03-29-2011, 07:50 AM
I received mine sometime last week... thanks ya'll!! :)