PDA

View Full Version : This may sound stupid...

Softhearted
01-25-2011, 02:19 PM
I found one of my pet rat deceased this morning... I am very sad but feel ridiculous to cry for a rat. He was such a little clown and very lively. I will miss him a lot and my other pet rat is also looking for him everywhere in the habitat...

Soft

DomnNC
01-25-2011, 02:21 PM
It's not stupid at all. A pet is a pet and becomes part of our environment, our family so to speak. It's ok to feel sad, that's only normal. I'm sorry for your loss.

The_Lady_Snow
01-25-2011, 02:22 PM
That sucks!! I'm so sorry for your loss, losing one of your pets can be a devastating blow. Take care of you.

justkim
01-25-2011, 02:22 PM
So sorry for your loss... My little sister had a pet rat growing up... We all mourned her passing in different ways... A loss is a loss...

Greyson
01-25-2011, 02:32 PM
Soft, my sincere condolances to you. Your grief is not "stupid" at all. If you experience loss, don't negate what you are feeling and who you are.

Almost two weeks ago I spent a weekend with pet rats. A mama rat and her babies. This was the first time in my life I have been exposed to rats as pets. I fell in love with the mama rat. She is such a good mom. I literally watched the rats for hours and played with them a bit.

This past weekend my girlfriend and I went and purchased all of the stuff we need to prepare for the adoption of the mama rat and one female baby. I have been a dog person for much of my life and now my heart has opened up to the Rat species. (The kind with four legs.) Best wishes to you.

Andrea
01-25-2011, 02:37 PM
I am sorry for your loss. A loved one is loved no matter the shape they come in.

Please know that emotions are never stupid and you should never let anyone tell you how you should feel. Even when that someone is yourself.

Andrea

Abigail Crabby
01-25-2011, 02:39 PM
You're not stupid at all..... ((((( Softhearted )))))

I've owned pet rats over the years and I've spent money on trying to save them when they got pneumonia, etc. Every pet is loved and grieved for when it passes (f)(f)

I'm so sorry for your loss....

Ebon
01-25-2011, 02:39 PM
No way not stupid. I'm sorry you lost your friend. It's hard to lose someone you care about.

Jesse
01-25-2011, 02:46 PM
So sorry for your loss Soft. hugs Pets are a vital part of us.

Blade
01-25-2011, 02:58 PM
Critters of all kinds seem to wiggle their way into our hearts...we can't help but fall in love with them and their antics and silliness. They certainly have their own little personalities. Sorry for your loss, cry til you get it out. You'll feel so much better for having done so.

sylvie
01-25-2011, 03:16 PM
awhh, i'm so sorry for your loss ((((Softhearted))))
our pets, big or little, become part of our family and we love them, it's not stupid whatsoever.. it's very normal to grieve and again, so sorry for your loss .. ♥

princessbelle
01-25-2011, 03:16 PM
love is love is love.

So sorry for your loss.

Apocalipstic
01-25-2011, 03:19 PM
So sorry for your loss! Maybe you and your other pet can spend extra time together to make this change easier for you both.

Best to you!

suebee
01-25-2011, 03:55 PM
You've lost a member of your family. It's not only okay, but healthy to mourn. You need to talk to some like-minded people who understand what grieving an animal is like - and you certainly have touched many of us here with this thread.

I've never had rats myself. Don't know how I missed out on that - I've had just about everything else. ;) But my brother had them for his kids for years. They had mazes for them that covered almost one entire wall of the basement. They were lucky rats! Rats are intelligent creatures; full of fun and love. Anyone who has known one can understand why you would be feeling the way you do.

My sympathies on the loss of your family member. I hope the other rat can adjust to his/her loss as well.

Sue :rrose:

Corkey
01-25-2011, 04:00 PM
Sorry for your loss, pets no matter what package they are in are family.
Our best to you in your time of grief.

Softly
01-25-2011, 04:57 PM
I am sorry :( it's not stupid at all!!!
*hug*

always2late
01-25-2011, 05:07 PM
Soft, I've had pet rats and they are wonderful pets and companions. I'm so sorry for your loss.

Cowboi
01-25-2011, 05:13 PM
I am sorry for your loss. I don't think its stupid at all. It was a living, breathing animal. I hope that your other rat doesn't grieve too much.

sharkchomp
01-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Ummm I've mourned over losing stuffed animals when I was a kid so mourning the loss of a living creature isn't stupid EVER!!!! I'm sorry for your loss, I'm sure he or she is in cheesy Heaven (or whatever rat's love).

~~~shark~~~~~~~~

cuddlyfemme
01-25-2011, 05:26 PM
Its not stupid to mourn any pet's passing....as others have said they are family no matter what. I'm so sorry for your loss

scootebaby
01-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Hey Soft...I know how you feel. I have a pet crab--actually it was originally given to my g/f Jo as a shell. it didnt seem like anything was in it--imagine my surprise---anyway i went out bought it a home and fixed it all up,and even bought him some friends(but he is a loner)...i check him regularly and if he doesnt respond like i think he should ill get a lil teary eyed bc i have terrible thoughts....so no it is NOT stupid to mourn any animal you have,spent time with and love....im sorry for your loss

weatherboi
01-25-2011, 05:55 PM
awwww that sucks!!!
i am really sorry about your loss!!!

TickledPink
01-25-2011, 06:00 PM
Hugs......there's nothing stupid about grief and love.

Sorry :(

Julie
01-25-2011, 06:05 PM
I found one of my pet rat deceased this morning... I am very sad but feel ridiculous to cry for a rat. He was such a little clown and very lively. I will miss him a lot and my other pet rat is also looking for him everywhere in the habitat...

Soft

Soft,

I am sorry for your loss!

Not ridiculous at all. When my Spunky (rat) was dying - It was the most horrible time of my life. He was my companion for six years. He went everywhere with me, including sleeping with me at night. He was my best friend.

When he died, I had him cremated - as it turned out, his best friend (kitty) died the day after him. I often wonder if she was not heart broken as well. I had then both cremated together and together they are still with me.

Not silly at all! People underestimate the relationships we can have with our four legged beloved's --

Also, Rats are very familial - you might want to think about getting your other rat a companion. I have lost rats right after they lost their house mate.

Julie

iamkeri1
01-25-2011, 06:13 PM
Soft,
I never had rats, but I had pet mice for years. They are sweet little creatures, and provided me with lots of entertainment. I am so sorry for your loss. Give your other little friend a pat on the head for me.
Smooches,
Keri

Mr. Moon
01-25-2011, 06:15 PM
I am so sorry for your loss.

It is not stupid at all. I was a mess when Peetie the parakeet died. :( Doesn't matter, big or small, they are our friends and companions!

:(
Be gentle with yourself..
-Moonie

durrrrrrrr
01-25-2011, 06:17 PM
just like the others have said, it doesnt matter what kind of animal it is, a pet is a pet. and we all get attached to them.

I also am sorry for your lost

Softhearted
01-25-2011, 07:40 PM
Thank you so much for the kind words! I do feel sorrow and I know in my heart that my little furry friend is having a big party with peanut butter and carrots somewhere in time and space.

I will miss him very much!

Thank you again for your support

Soft

Greyson
01-31-2011, 02:11 PM
I came back to this thread to report that the little rats I spoke of earlier came home this past Friday evening. In a quirky turn of events we lost the mama rat, later that night. She died at the vets. Oreo is the rat I wanted to adopt because she was so smart and such a good mom. The school has offered to reimburse us with the money we spent at the vets. I have decided to use this money in purchasing a better and larger cage for the school and a good reference book on the care and health of rats. I am sad that even unknowningly us humans contribute to unecessary pain and suffereing of animals when they are in our care.

girl_dee
01-31-2011, 02:29 PM
ever heard that song *Ben* by young Michael Jackson? It was about his pet rat.. pets are pets...

citybutch
01-31-2011, 03:34 PM
I don't think it is stupid at all...

I loved my rats when I had them. And cried when they died...

I am so sorry for your loss... :rrose:

Softhearted
01-31-2011, 03:47 PM
I came back to this thread to report that the little rats I spoke of earlier came home this past Friday evening. In a quirky turn of events we lost the mama rat, later that night. She died at the vets. Oreo is the rat I wanted to adopt because she was so smart and such a good mom. The school has offered to reimburse us with the money we spent at the vets. I have decided to use this money in purchasing a better and larger cage for the school and a good reference book on the care and health of rats. I am sad that even unknowningly us humans contribute to unecessary pain and suffereing of animals when they are in our care.

I am so sorry to hear this... Yes, human ignorance is a big factor. At times, some humans think that other animals are not prone to disease or suffering like us. This is sad indeed.