PDA

View Full Version : In celebration of Aretha Franklin

waxnrope
02-15-2011, 12:27 AM
Before the Grammy Awards, I thought of starting a thread in celebration of Aretha Franklin. There has been discussion in the Huffington Post, among other newsies, that Aretha has pancreatic cancer. This got me to thinking a lot about her music and the ways in which it has intertwined with my life. I want to celebrate her while she lives. To thank her in my own way. So, I will tell a short something and post a music video. I invite anyone who loves her music to do the same. Be nice :)

My first relationship, every time I heard this song, I was filled with something so powerful, so deep inside, such love, that when I heard it, I nearly cried. That first love: the racing hormones, the newly found poetry that expressed secret desires, the recall of the first kiss, the first uh huh, all of that at one time just hearing this song. I still get goose flesh... and I remember.

Now, music lovers will probably just have to say that Dionne Warwick sang this song too around the same time (and many others followed later). True dat. But there is something so evocative in Aretha's version. So much in the gut, so very real, that I favor hers over Dionne's.

I'm posting two versions because there is a palpable difference in sound (and it coheres with her history, her pain, her story/ies.). The first is rather sweet, song by the choir soloist. The second, well you be the judge.

KtBbyglq37E

VHKWBxDzyfU

waxnrope
02-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Posted this late last night. I hope others remember Aretha's music and what they were doing when particular songs of hers became popular.

I listened to this last night and thought to post on the songs to break up thread, but will post here. It doesn't need explanation. Many of us have felt a fool ...

0jzqx4Mf4lE

rlin
02-15-2011, 10:04 AM
THANK YOU!
i remember so many thangs concerning aretha that evoked huge emotions in me over the years... many years... hell...ALL my years...

but... i think this is the one that has been sung along to by me the most thru the years... this rendition is the one i always hear in my head... no matter when or how or where its being played...

iOdQHpalrRc

waxnrope
02-15-2011, 11:04 AM
Good one, rlin. Another righteous pick for the songs to break up thread, too. The "freedom" refrain, it is a strong and uplifting part.
Thanks!

DomnNC
02-15-2011, 04:32 PM
Wooo, sing it Aretha!

Ip_pjb5_fgA

DomnNC
02-15-2011, 04:38 PM
Sing it again Aretha!

zY1UBoegpUM

carrieinNC
02-15-2011, 05:17 PM
YouTube - Aretha Franklin - Willing To Forgive

You listen to her and then realize how we as a society have cheapened the word diva by using it to describe anyone who has a hit single these days

rlin
02-15-2011, 05:32 PM
YouTube - Aretha Franklin - Willing To Forgive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sQz29AN1gs&feature=relmfu)

You listen to her and then realize how we as a society have cheapened the word diva by using it to describe anyone who has a hit single these days

damned skippy!!!
tell it!

carrieinNC
02-15-2011, 05:42 PM
YouTube - Aretha Franklin - Willing To Forgivedamned skippy!!!
tell it!

MysticOceansFL
02-15-2011, 06:11 PM
I like her shes a classy woman!!!

girl_dee
02-15-2011, 06:42 PM
YouTube - Aretha Franklin - Willing To Forgive (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sQz29AN1gs&feature=relmfu)

I completely agree!

Miss Scarlett
02-15-2011, 07:01 PM
2DwZ-GMHyho

I absolutely adore Aretha and I think this is her finest live performance. She had less than 30 minutes to prepare for singing one of Puccini's masterpieces. I love how she made it her own at the end.

How ironic that she has the same cancer that took the life of the man who made this aria his trademark and also my Mom who loved this piece so much we played it at her funeral.

girl_dee
02-15-2011, 07:06 PM
8Lx52sBLtKI

waxnrope
02-16-2011, 09:39 AM
Wooo, sing it Aretha!

Ip_pjb5_fgA

Sing it again Aretha!

zY1UBoegpUM

Definitely makes you want to dance, right? :lol2: Thanks, DomnNC. Good to get the coffee running.

rlin
02-16-2011, 09:43 AM
WOW.....
a tribute...
WOW...
ss1cNdGjVss

waxnrope
02-16-2011, 09:52 AM

Amen to that! I thought about this song, didn't put it up ... too close to the bone right now ... but, her phrasing and feeling in this song is something. As for hit single diva's? True dat. There's no magical electronics used for Aretha's voice enhancement! Thanks for this and your insight :)

waxnrope
02-16-2011, 10:06 AM
2DwZ-GMHyho

I absolutely adore Aretha and I think this is her finest live performance. She had less than 30 minutes to prepare for singing one of Puccini's masterpieces. I love how she made it her own at the end.

How ironic that she has the same cancer that took the life of the man who made this aria his trademark and also my Mom who loved this piece so much we played it at her funeral.

What a find, Miss Scarlett! I didn't hear this before!
This piece is my favorite as sung by Pavarotti (my parrot, Rico, swoons over it and sings along :( ... he has a not too good voice). I wept when he died. My net access skips due to loading problems, but I will listen at another time - carefully. She's not classically trained, Aretha, but in such a short time to prepare, well, even if she were an opera diva, dang! that ending still brought gooseflesh :clap:

waxnrope
02-16-2011, 10:24 AM
This was my sister's favorite Aretha song. We even went to hear a live performance ... twice ... long drive and all. May you sing this with the angels, Dolo.

G_raVBtLYnM

waxnrope
02-16-2011, 10:41 AM
WOW.....
a tribute...
WOW...
ss1cNdGjVss

Thanks, R. I caught this on the net. It reminded me that I was going to start a thread about her. This was something, wasn't it?

waxnrope
02-16-2011, 08:07 PM
Digging through her discography and discovered this song, originally done by Maxine Brown, sung by Aretha. Classic early Aretha ... the phrasing, and reaching those notes effortlessly.

There's no past story associated with this song because I just found it. But, I, as many of us, can understand her disbelief of betrayal. The denial. But unlike other songs of this type, she hung onto her faith in her partner, which proved to be a good thing. I'm feeling cynical, so won't say anything more :|

eRyOF1sOXP8

Spirit Dancer
02-16-2011, 08:15 PM
6FOUqQt3Kg0

_DBl5gAs6WI

waxnrope
02-16-2011, 08:38 PM
No one sings Like a Bridge Over Troubled Water like Aretha. 'nuff said! Thanks for these two great picks, S.D.

DomnNC
02-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Here's one of a young young Aretha getting down. The audio isn't the best but I thought it a hoot to see her so young and early into her career.

vsjLUn2v8JI

Ebon
02-16-2011, 09:11 PM
One of my favorites

fd8blz73uAY

waxnrope
02-16-2011, 09:33 PM
Here's one of a young young Aretha getting down. The audio isn't the best but I thought it a hoot to see her so young and early into her career.

vsjLUn2v8JI

Thanks again, DomnNC. I'm having trouble loading this ... am only getting glimpses of this performance (damn Verizon ...), but what I do hear, it is really good, live. Her voice is something else.

waxnrope
02-16-2011, 09:51 PM
One of my favorites

fd8blz73uAY

Love the sort of trill in the intro interspersed with the kinda church sound. Yeah, this is a good one. Love stuff. I feel her. No wonder she is the Queen of Soul.

waxnrope
02-16-2011, 10:12 PM
This one ... well ... during difficult times ... loving on a one way street.

N6HhtnxA4F0

Canela
02-16-2011, 11:11 PM
All my life I grew up with R&B music...my mother the feminist loved this music...she'd send me 8tracs (don't laugh) from a record store in Chicago...lots of 'Retha...

Years later, I feel in love with a TG Stone Butch that was no good, "he is a liar and a cheat"...we'd play this 'Retha cd all the time and I never thought it was a song about him...until one day....(fill in the blank______________)

[CENTER]9kn9WF4oLRE[/CENTER

waxnrope
02-16-2011, 11:25 PM
All my life I grew up with R&B music...my mother the feminist loved this music...she'd send me 8tracs (don't laugh) from a record store in Chicago...lots of 'Retha...

Years later, I feel in love with a TG Stone Butch that was no good, "he is a liar and a cheat"...we'd play this 'Retha cd all the time and I never thought it was a song about him...until one day....(fill in the blank______________)

8 tracks? OMG! I haven't even heard of those for decades! :| And I ain't laughing at you, but at me!

Yeah, this was one of those pity party songs ... and you could really cry cause she is so good at making you feel her pain ... which matches your own.

Thanks, Canela for the story ... that's what I'm after: how some music relates to your life, past and present. I mean, I listen to Aretha, and can pinpoint exactly where I was (I've moved a lot), who I was with, what year, etc. It's like a personal, musical history, ya know?

Canela
02-16-2011, 11:45 PM
Shhhh! Yes yes, 8 tracks....obviously I go back a ways...ahem...

So yeah, she surely can make you feel her pain...I love love love me some Aretha Franklin!

Thanks for starting this thread...I am loving it!

8 tracks? OMG! I haven't even heard of those for decades! :| And I ain't laughing at you, but at me!

Yeah, this was one of those pity party songs ... and you could really cry cause she is so good at making you feel her pain ... which matches your own.

Thanks, Canela for the story ... that's what I'm after: how some music relates to your life, past and present. I mean, I listen to Aretha, and can pinpoint exactly where I was (I've moved a lot), who I was with, what year, etc. It's like a personal, musical history, ya know?

waxnrope
02-17-2011, 08:30 AM
Listening to this one now, I have a different read on the words then I did when a youth. We used to say, " ... take me to bed ... " and mess up the original lyrics. Hormones, right? :simplelaugh: But now ... a woman asking to be taken for granted ... different feelings about this now. It is My la frontera.

I8YQ7O0Z7S0&feature=related

waxnrope
02-17-2011, 08:50 AM
oh man, this song ... I woke up with it this morning. Sorry for the repeat. Just cannot help it ... songs, music, have such a way of speaking the feelings, the thoughts, the deep reflections of one's interior. One's soul. Heart. Just feeling this shit.

N6HhtnxA4F0&feature=related

waxnrope
02-17-2011, 08:58 AM
remember this one? She is dressed fine here ... I used to wonder who the heck picked her outfits ... I'm a faggy butch, what can I say?:readfineprint::|
Catch Flip "the devil made me do it" Wilson on the intro?

EiB8_PpWedk

theoddz
02-17-2011, 09:50 AM
I have always adored, adored, ADORED anything Aretha has done!!!:awww::thumbsup::musicnote:

Most of the great R&B voices in history came from gospel roots, and Aretha is no exception. I think spiritual music is the foundation on which many people find the heart and soul to put into their music. Faith is a strong thing and, through the years, I have come to rely on mine, and I know its ability to move hearts and minds and mend bridges. Gospel music speaks to me and no one, except maybe Mahalia Jackson can get in there and *quite* do it like Aretha.

So, here's to celebrating Aretha and her great talent in the world of Gospel Music. :winky::clap::heartbeat:

1b9qH6-IvEs

....and

cnJtsW-uFc4

Thanks for this great thread!!!:)

~Theo~ :bouquet:

rlin
02-17-2011, 10:19 AM
remember this one? She is dressed fine here ... I used to wonder who the heck picked her outfits ... I'm a faggy butch, what can I say?:readfineprint::|
Catch Flip "the devil made me do it" Wilson on the intro?

EiB8_PpWedk

i remember watching this when it aired! i was a tyke dyke then... but i was mesmerized... i wanted her to be mine... she had such a presence... i didnt know why i wanted to be beside her... i just did!

waxnrope
02-17-2011, 10:32 AM
I have always adored, adored, ADORED anything Aretha has done!!!:awww::thumbsup::musicnote:

Most of the great R&B voices in history came from gospel roots, and Aretha is no exception. I think spiritual music is the foundation on which many people find the heart and soul to put into their music. Faith is a strong thing and, through the years, I have come to rely on mine, and I know its ability to move hearts and minds and mend bridges. Gospel music speaks to me and no one, except maybe Mahalia Jackson can get in there and *quite* do it like Aretha.

So, here's to celebrating Aretha and her great talent in the world of Gospel Music. :winky::clap::heartbeat:

Thanks for this great thread!!!:)

~Theo~ :bouquet:

Thank you, Theo (and, little Ivan, of course). I have not brought up, except by innuendo, her religious roots ... But yes, these are primo examples of her personal journey, her odyssey in music ... and life. One can hear the Gospel nuances in her "secular" songs. It brings to mind a little something I wrote about G-d and Sex ... never mind. These songs are great and I love your picks!

waxnrope
02-17-2011, 10:36 AM
i remember watching this when it aired! i was a tyke dyke then... but i was mesmerized...[i wanted her to be mine...she had such a presence... i didnt know why i wanted to be beside her... i just did!

"i wanted her to be mine.. " That's coz you're a greedy bastid :canadian:
"Presence" is an apt descriptor for her. You hit it spot on. It, this "presence," is when she sings, palpable and, well, just with/in you.

Greyson
02-17-2011, 10:46 AM
I too grew up listening to R&B. (Back then it was also known as the Motown Sound and/or Soul Music.) I remember my first big crush, 13 years my senior playing and singing R E S P E C T, over and over again. I was in the 7th grade.

I cannot access YouTube right now but if I could, I would post Aretha singing the song about a "Chain of Fools."

Chain, chain, chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaainnnnn, Chain of fools.

waxnrope
02-17-2011, 10:52 AM
I too grew up listening to R&B. (Back then it was also known as the Motown Sound.) I remember my first big crush, 13 years my senior playing and singing R E S P E C T, over and over again. I was in the 7th grade.

I cannot access YouTube right now but if I could, I would post Aretha singing the song about a "Chain of Fools."

Chain, chain, chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaainnnnn, Chain of fools.

Thanks, Greyson, for your post! Things to tickle the memories ... Look back a few posts, Chain of Fools is there! :clap:

waxnrope
02-17-2011, 09:20 PM
Another one of her lost love songs ... she was good was these. Gawd, I remember feeling this ...
pggNbtCivBo

Canela
02-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Some of her gospel roots--

5hLiLH92DE4

1b9qH6-IvEs

dC_wj9nmAZI

waxnrope
02-18-2011, 02:46 AM
Some of her gospel roots--

Yes! Theo also posted some of those, Canela. Those roots never left her other, pop songs.

waxnrope
02-18-2011, 02:53 AM
Another for the break up song thread ... "willing to forgive you, but I'll never forget ..." Even her sad songs of betrayal have such tender strength. She's something.

t8am_U8zl-4

waxnrope
02-18-2011, 10:21 PM
hGbd9QOaS2s

another of her pop singles that I forgot ... I have been digging through some interesting stuff, got carried away, and forgot some of her other popular songs ... such as this one.
I cannot recall a particular story with this one, just remember it...

waxnrope
02-18-2011, 10:31 PM
just discovered this among so many others to be discovered. Ray Charles, Donna Summer (wtf?) and many others sang this Beatles song.

Don't know if it's the recording, but her voice sounds a bit husky/raspy here... not unpleasant, just different. Then again, she is singing a lower timbre than what is usual for her ... when I sing bass too long, instead of tenor, my voice gets this way. The harmony is really nice as is the backup vocals. I don't think this is one of her better works, though.

w09Jcjj_QOI&feature=related

waxnrope
02-18-2011, 10:39 PM
I do remember this! Annie Lennox, uh, hot here ladies :)

_Pu0Fn1oRN4

Miss Scarlett
02-19-2011, 07:56 AM
I do remember this! Annie Lennox, uh, hot here ladies :)

_Pu0Fn1oRN4

OMG! OMG! OMG! Thank you! I love love love this song!

One of my favourites for dancing around the house...

Yeah Annie Lennox is super hot! I've crushed on her for years.

Kätzchen
02-19-2011, 12:59 PM
Yi6dqhi8Ptw

"when my soul was in the lost and found,
you came along to claim it,
I didn't know what was wrong with me,
until your kiss helped me name it..."

I love her soulful rendition of this song...

waxnrope
02-20-2011, 07:04 AM
OMG! OMG! OMG! Thank you! I love love love this song!

One of my favourites for dancing around the house...

Yeah Annie Lennox is super hot! I've crushed on her for years.

LOL! Yeah, she was/is hot ... :)
Thanks, Miss Scarlett :bouquet:

waxnrope
02-20-2011, 07:07 AM
"when my soul was in the lost and found,
you came along to claim it,
I didn't know what was wrong with me,
until your kiss helped me name it..."

I love her soulful rendition of this song...

Thank you, my friend. I love those words, too. Such love. Sigh. lol
I like much of Carol King's original work as done by Carol King ... but this is one of those exceptions ... for me :)

waxnrope
02-20-2011, 07:30 AM
I don't recall this one ... and I thought that I had followed her career pretty closely. Check the fine melding of gospel blues in this

l5if4N9YE6Q