PDA

View Full Version : Yoga and back pain?

Linus
02-20-2011, 02:49 PM
I've had, throughout my life, back pain of one sort or another. A lot of it is due to stress and/or being over weight. Usually I've been able to keep it under control through therapeutic massage and exercise but last night I must have pulled something back since I can barely walk. I'm trying to get an appointment with a chiropractor for tomorrow but I'm contemplating starting yoga as a way to strengthen my core muscles (i.e. Abs and lower back) as a more effective and proactive way of addressing this.

Has anyone else done this and found it helped? Or did it worsen it?

Semantics
02-20-2011, 03:06 PM
I do.

The thing with doing yoga to help is that you need to be certain of what is causing the pain so you don't make it worse. My back pain is caused by the sacroiliac joints in my pelvis, so I have to be careful of certain stretches (like forward bends). The best poses for my particular issue are the bow pose and most standing poses. I've noticed a lot of improvement since I started.
Good luck.

foxyshaman
02-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Linus,

I have been overweight and went to yoga. It really helped my lower back pain, considerably. And my hip pain. I do go to the chiro to keep my knees and hips straight. But yoga has been for my body a wonderful friend and healer. You may have to try several teahers before you find one that works for you. And if you have a level 1 or beginner class, sign up. You really really really, did I say really?? need to learn proper alignment. It is essential to keeping your back safe.

Good luck on your journey.

ravfem
02-22-2011, 11:33 AM
i used to go to yoga that was adapted for people with physical disabilities or issues. The poses were modified and then modified again for each individual (there was a limit of 6 people per class).

As with anything else, i had to figure out what i could & couldn't do. The yogi never ever pushed me to try something i wasn't comfortable trying. There were lots of times i couldn't keep up with the class, so i just did what i could and kept on keepin on.

It helped a lot with my back and hip pain as well as my general disposition.

:koolaid:

The Oopster
02-22-2011, 11:49 AM
I've had back issues since I was a teen and the best thing I've done is pilates. Since yoga is similiar I would think you could have good results. One thing to check into is what your insurance covers. I was able to go to a clinic that took insurance and my pilates was covered under my therapy.

Thinker
02-22-2011, 12:02 PM
You never heard my testimonial about Yoga??????? Heh... I rave about what it did for me and my back pain.

I still have back and neck issues, but it isn't even 1/10th what it was many years ago. It was awful......debilitating......at times it was the kind of pain that causes some people to consider taking *extreme* measures.

I started doing 30 minutes of mild (easy stretching kind) Yoga everyday......following a DVD. I eventually purchased about six of the DVDs in the series (will include a link later). I did try classes, but I just *really* like doing something that therapeutic and soothing in the privacy of my home; it didn't feel as good being with strangers.

Along with the Yoga, I switched to what I called my Food Pyramid diet (eating only what was recommended for me by the government's Food Pyramid. The most difficult change I made at the same time (turned out to be the best) was drinking anywhere from 50-70 ounces of water each day.

Somewhere along the way, I dropped about 20 pounds, quit having sinus infections and bronchitis, and was almost pain-free in my lower back. I remember getting in the shower at the start of the day, bending down to turn on the water, and realizing........I had just BENT over to turn on the water!!!

I could only ever squat to do those things. I had to lean on the counter when rinsing after brushing my teeth; I got on my knees to make the bed because I couldn't bend over; and I had to squat when I went to turn on the shower water.

The combination of chiropractic and Yoga was my miracle drug!

Linus, as long as there aren't any nerve issues that might be aggravated, I just can't recommend gentle Yoga on a daily basis highly enough. It gave me strength, comfort, and sanity. I know that sounds dramatic, but it's true.

I wish the same result for you!

Here's a link to the DVD I started with from the Yoga Zone series.

Amazon.com: Yoga Zone - Yoga Basics for Beginners: Yoga Zone, Koch: Movies & TV

Sparkle
02-22-2011, 12:04 PM
I've had back issues since I was a teen and the best thing I've done is pilates. Since yoga is similiar I would think you could have good results. One thing to check into is what your insurance covers. I was able to go to a clinic that took insurance and my pilates was covered under my therapy.

Seconding Pilates!

It is *all about* strengthening your core, it is gentle and every exercise can be modified to accommodate your particular injuries/hot spots.

The Oopster
02-22-2011, 01:39 PM
You never heard my testimonial about Yoga??????? Heh... I rave about what it did for me and my back pain.

I still have back and neck issues, but it isn't even 1/10th what it was many years ago. It was awful......debilitating......at times it was the kind of pain that causes some people to consider taking *extreme* measures.

I started doing 30 minutes of mild (easy stretching kind) Yoga everyday......following a DVD. I eventually purchased about six of the DVDs in the series (will include a link later). I did try classes, but I just *really* like doing something that therapeutic and soothing in the privacy of my home; it didn't feel as good being with strangers.

Along with the Yoga, I switched to what I called my Food Pyramid diet (eating only what was recommended for me by the government's Food Pyramid. The most difficult change I made at the same time (turned out to be the best) was drinking anywhere from 50-70 ounces of water each day.

Somewhere along the way, I dropped about 20 pounds, quit having sinus infections and bronchitis, and was almost pain-free in my lower back. I remember getting in the shower at the start of the day, bending down to turn on the water, and realizing........I had just BENT over to turn over the water!!!

I could only ever squat to do those things. I had to lean on the counter when rinsing after brushing my teeth; I got on my knees to make the bed because I couldn't bend over; and I had to squat when I went to turn on the shower water.

The combination of chiropractic and Yoga was my miracle drug!

Linus, as long as there aren't any nerve issues that might be aggravated, I just can't recommend gentle Yoga on a daily basis highly enough. It gave me strength, comfort, and sanity. I know that sounds dramatic, but it's true.

I wish the same result for you!

Here's a link to the DVD I started with from the Yoga Zone series.

Amazon.com: Yoga Zone - Yoga Basics for Beginners: Yoga Zone, Koch: Movies & TV (http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-Zone-Basics-Beginners/dp/B000068MAJ/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1298397607&sr=1-1)

dang wish i would have seen this about 20 minutes ago when i put in an order at amazon

DomnNC
02-22-2011, 08:14 PM
If you are having that much issue walking I'd suggest you see your physician first and have an MRI done to make sure there isn't some other big issue going on.

I have neck/lower back issues. The first issue I had with my neck I was doing stretching exercises, pulling on a rail trying to stretch out the muscles thinking I had a pinched nerve. I came this <> close to seeing a chiropracter. A move my Dr and neurosurgeon told me that would have paralyzed me from the neck down. So be safe and run any kind of program you want to do by your Dr first.

Strappie
02-22-2011, 09:22 PM
I've had low back issues since I was a Junior in High School. My Doctor says it's a little genetic and also years of playing softball and football. Another doctor told me I had the back of a 60 yr old man when I was 3o. YIKES! But really how does he know that?? Some days it feels like I'm 80. But I also work a very physical job so trying to strengthen it seems like it will make it worse.

I have a lot of friends that do yoga and they all love it. However they don't have back issue's so I figured it wouldn't do anything for me. After hearing everyone specially Thinker. I just may have to look into this.

Thank you for the info!

Thinker
02-22-2011, 09:47 PM
I've had low back issues since I was a Junior in High School. My Doctor says it's a little genetic and also years of playing softball and football. Another doctor told me I had the back of a 60 yr old man when I was 3o. YIKES! But really how does he know that?? Some days it feels like I'm 80. But I also work a very physical job so trying to strengthen it seems like it will make it worse.

I have a lot of friends that do yoga and they all love it. However they don't have back issue's so I figured it wouldn't do anything for me. After hearing everyone specially Thinker. I just may have to look into this.

Thank you for the info!

While I do appreciate the core conditioning Yoga provides, more than anything else it is the lengthening of the spine that I believe makes the difference.

In addition to stretching your muscles and relieving stress, the spine-lengthening aspect of Yoga creates space between your vertebrae. Proper spinal alignment, the space between vertebrae, and strong core muscles to hold that alignment make for a TRIFECTA!!

drsassypants
02-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Yoga RULES.

It will do more for you than you would ever think possible. Stretching, strengthening, working your body in balance. And so many things are connected in your body that back pain can be caused by other things. Yoga works your whole body, big muscles & little. I cannot say enough about what it's done for me.

BUT I would definitely be concerned, in your case, with making sure there are no underlying structural issues that need to be addressed. Also, you should start with a yoga instructor geared towards beginners & explain the problems you have to the instructor, so that modifications can be demonstrated for you. You can use the modification whenever you need to.

A good place to start for you, right now, might be by doing a few cats & cows, move with your breath (inhale = cow, exhale = cat). They stretch the spine and your front body. Plus, I've read that they can hel with sciatica by "flossing" your spinal cords. You should be able to find some videos on youtube.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you!

Linus
02-23-2011, 10:08 AM
Thanks everyone for the insight. As I said in the beginning post, I was (and now am) going to a Chiro to get things checked out. And I won't do yoga until I've discussed it with him and he feels I'm at a point where I can do it.

That said, it's good to hear that it has helped many maintain their core and strengthen it. There are a few beginner's classes near us with some good deals ($30 for two weeks of unlimited yoga) so I may check those out come mid-late March.