PDA

View Full Version : Food Cures - Nature's Medicine

Guy
03-19-2011, 11:26 AM
As I approached the age of fifty I've become interested in the things I eat and what I could benefit healthwise from eating certain food.

Thought it would make a great thread, and we could all learn together and share our facts here.

Guy
03-19-2011, 11:37 AM
Remember when your mom gave you ginger ale when you had an upset stomach?

Well, Mom's know best

It wasn't the ginger ale that is good for you, it is
the ginger it's made from.

Ginger protects the lungs and colon, oil of ginger stimulates circulation and is useful for arthritic and rheumatic disorders, urinary difficulties, morning sickness and motion sickness.

Who Knew? Eat More Ginger! :)

DapperButch
03-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Ginger is good for a crapload of stuff! :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I vomit if I take ginger supplements. :|

Guy
03-19-2011, 02:01 PM
When you feel like a snack, nuts are a healthy choice, especially walnuts.

Walnuts are the only nuts that offer a significant amount of the omega-3 fat alpha-linolenic acid, ALA’s anti-inflammatory properties halt plaque buildup in the arteries that results when "bad" LDL cholesterol is oxidized.

No salt pistachio nuts are a healthy second choice, which help lower blood pressure.

WolfyOne
03-19-2011, 02:13 PM
Remember when your mom gave you ginger ale when you had an upset stomach?

Well, Mom's know best

It wasn't the ginger ale that is good for you, it is
the ginger it's made from.

Ginger protects the lungs and colon, oil of ginger stimulates circulation and is useful for arthritic and rheumatic disorders, urinary difficulties, morning sickness and motion sickness.

Who Knew? Eat More Ginger! :)

I keep a jar of pickled ginger in my fridge, like the kind used with sushi
When I have an upset stomach, I eat a few slices of it
Seems to help my stomach cope better

WolfyOne
03-19-2011, 02:16 PM
When you feel like a snack, nuts are a healthy choice, especially walnuts.

Walnuts are the only nuts that offer a significant amount of the omega-3 fat alpha-linolenic acid, ALA’s anti-inflammatory properties halt plaque buildup in the arteries that results when "bad" LDL cholesterol is oxidized.

No salt pistachio nuts are a healthy second choice, which help lower blood pressure.

You left out one very important nut...Almonds, almonds, good for your heart, the more you eat the more you … lower your LDL cholesterol, improve your complexion and digestion, and reduce your risk of cancer.

Rockinonahigh
03-19-2011, 04:16 PM
Garlic,my gram swore by it for everything,she would warm olive oil then mash up some garlic..mix it together..then mush it some more..then drop a fue drops of just the olive oil in my ears when they got infected or hurt. Snuff mixed with oil of wintergreen for any bug bight.I could go an for a while about this subject.

wolfbittenpoet
03-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Garlic oil in ears isn't good for severe infection. Can cause burns and repturing of ear drums.
Sweet oil however works.

Mint for sore throats.
Tepid tea for burns.

Glenn
03-19-2011, 04:25 PM
Questions: Could this be used in our furkids ears as well? What is sweet oil?

Garlic oil in ears isn't good for severe infection. Can cause burns and repturing of ear drums.
Sweet oil however works.

Mint for sore throats.
Tepid tea for burns.

wolfbittenpoet
03-19-2011, 04:30 PM
Not sure about the furchildren. It is a form of olive oil used for medicinal purposes it is not purified. You can purchase at most groceries, walmarts targets or natural food shops. It also is great to use like neosporin.

DomnNC
03-19-2011, 07:16 PM
I read on a healthy eating website that eating 1 banana a day will reduce your risk of colon cancer by 40%. It's also excellent for prevention of muscle cramps in your legs and keeping you from getting dehydrated. Who knew!

DomnNC
03-19-2011, 07:17 PM
Also taking 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar a day has quite a few health benefits. It helps with stiff joints, muscle cramps, if your diabetic taking a tablespoon 30 minutes before you eat will keep your sugar from spiking after you eat.

Miss Scarlett
03-19-2011, 07:31 PM
Also taking 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar a day has quite a few health benefits. It helps with stiff joints, muscle cramps, if your diabetic taking a tablespoon 30 minutes before you eat will keep your sugar from spiking after you eat.

I definitely noticed the difference in my joints...it also does a little diuretic & detox thing...

StillettoDoll
03-19-2011, 07:34 PM
For relief of coughing and wheezing associated with bronchitis , or other respiratory ailments,
mix 1 tsp thyme in a little honey take orally as needed to soothe airways .
this really really works!!!
Something else to add honey is great for dressing minor wounds.
honey contains a germ killing substance called inhidine.

DomnNC
03-19-2011, 07:35 PM
I definitely noticed the difference in my joints...it also does a little diuretic & detox thing...

Yep, that ya did and yep it's good for that too, it has a lot of good benefits to it, I gotta find that book! lol

Miss Scarlett
03-19-2011, 07:55 PM
Yep, that ya did and yep it's good for that too, it has a lot of good benefits to it, I gotta find that book! lol

Yes, I really want to take a look at that when you do...please.

Had to return to my bottle of Braggs yesterday...will be interested to see if there is any noticable difference beyond taste.

Guy
03-19-2011, 07:59 PM

So, how's that stuff taste? it has to taste pretty bad if it's good for you

cara
03-19-2011, 07:59 PM
Cinnamon is an amazing spice. Great for cleaning out the liver and regulating your blood sugar levels.

:stillheart:

Guy
03-19-2011, 08:06 PM
Cayenne pepper allows smooth blood flow by preventing platelets from clumping together and accumulating in the blood.

Add a dash to a salad or in salt-free soups.

Corkey
03-19-2011, 08:22 PM
Cayenne pepper allows smooth blood flow by preventing platelets from clumping together and accumulating in the blood.

It is also good at stopping minor to fairly good bleeding in say your fingers....yes I used it when a can lid sliced me open....

cara
03-19-2011, 08:26 PM

If you mix 2 TBS of cayenne powder with 2 cups of water, it makes a great, natural pest and animal deterrent in your yard/garden. You will have to reapply every few weeks and after rain, but so much better than those harmful chemicals.

Guy
03-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Last year, after reading about coconut oil, I decided to start cooking with it instead of other oils

Using coconut oil increases your metabolism. The fats in coconut oil, unlike all other fats, do not circulate through the blood looking for places to be stored. They go directly to the liver and are turned into instant energy. One food that can rev up your metabolism even more than protein is coconut oil.

Gemme
03-21-2011, 07:18 PM
I read on a healthy eating website that eating 1 banana a day will reduce your risk of colon cancer by 40%. It's also excellent for prevention of muscle cramps in your legs and keeping you from getting dehydrated. Who knew!

It's the potassium in the banana that helps with the leg cramps. I've also heard stories of drinking dill pickle juice to help reduce leg cramps.

If you put some cider vinegar in potatoes, it will lower the glycemic index for them, which is good for those who keep an eye on their carb intake as well as stabilizing blood sugars better.

For relief of coughing and wheezing associated with bronchitis , or other respiratory ailments,
mix 1 tsp thyme in a little honey take orally as needed to soothe airways .
this really really works!!!
Something else to add honey is great for dressing minor wounds.
honey contains a germ killing substance called inhidine.

For those will pollen allergies, find a store that sells LOCAL honey and take a spoonful every day. It will help to minimize your symptoms.

Also, if you are bloated, drink water with lemon juice in it to taste. The lemon draws out the water trapped in your cells and allows it to vacate your body.

storyofmylife
03-28-2011, 04:01 AM
As I approached the age of fifty I've become interested in the things I eat and what I could benefit healthwise from eating certain food.

Thought it would make a great thread, and we could all learn together and share our facts here.

Yes..... this a great thread!
I always like to know what I am eating and
the benefits it gives.

storyofmylife
03-28-2011, 04:09 AM

Yes I take this daily for it also boost your metabolism.

storyofmylife
03-28-2011, 04:16 AM
So, how's that stuff taste? it has to taste pretty bad if it's good for you

It taste GOOD if you like vinegar.... I love it! lol

storyofmylife
03-28-2011, 04:22 AM
If you mix 2 TBS of cayenne powder with 2 cups of water, it makes a great, natural pest and animal deterrent in your yard/garden. You will have to reapply every few weeks and after rain, but so much better than those harmful chemicals.

It works! I use it in my organic garden :)

Guy
03-28-2011, 11:36 AM
It taste GOOD if you like vinegar.... I love it! lol

I love vinegar, just never had it alone, usually on a salad, I guess that would work also.

Didn't think about putting it ON my salad until now lol :seconddoh:

Guy
03-29-2011, 04:16 PM
When buying apple cider vinegar they say to get the one that still has the "mother".

It still has the good stuff . :eyebrow:

storyofmylife
04-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Cocoa- naturally occurring chemicals called flavonoids which contains antioxidants which
are great for fighting infection, inflammation and a mood - altering substance that makes you feel good!:chocolate::chocolate:

PlatinumPearl
01-08-2020, 01:40 PM
Tangerines may be smaller than oranges, but they are several times higher in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants such as vitamins C & A, calcium, magnesium & selenium, and beta-carotene & luteins.

Tangerines contain anti-viral and anti-cancer properties and are particularly beneficial for colds, fever, flu, arthritis, epstein barr, shingles, constipation, age related macular degeneration, bone repair, neurodegenerative diseases, heart disease, and breast, colon, lung, stomach, ovarian, and prostate cancer.