PDA

View Full Version : being disabled....

DamselFly
04-14-2011, 06:44 PM
i haven't seen a thread specifically addressing the difficulties of being disabled in a healthy world so thought i would start one. i'll begin with my situation: i have MS, COPD, Fibromyalgia, and am now losing my sight. (please, when post, use a 5 or larger font, so i can read it!) how does someone like me find a partner? most people seem to want those who are healthy. i am also on SSD, poor, don't drive, don't even have my own place right now. so that puts me in a place where all i have to offer someone is myself. as i am. and i highly doubt that someone is going to want to take on all that comes with me. if such were to pass, twould be wonderful, but, though i am open to possibilities, i really don't expect anything. i'm trying to make my peace with this and think that i have. i like who i am and am at peace with the decisions i have made in my life. my spiritual life gets me through the days and nights. i must admit that this is hard sometimes, dealing w/dr.s a lot, having to make my way through bureaucracies just to get what i need to survive. i am thankful that i am able to do it, however, and am sure that i will adjust to being blind, just as i have to everything else that has come my way. that's a biggie to adjust to, but i'm a strong person! the Tao moves as Tao moves, and i will move with it.
namaste, my friends. i look forward to hearing from others!
DamselFly:tea:

Soft*Silver
04-14-2011, 08:42 PM
I have chronic and acute back problems. And fibromyalgia. And a nasty monstrous hiatal hernia that has sapped the life right out of me for over a year. And while I am not losing my sight, I tend to need eye surgery every year or every other year, for retinal detachments and recently, for corneal problems. I also have depression and after living with my medical problems and poverty, I developed anxiety and then, panic attacks. I could go on but you get the picture. I just got on SSDI and it made me rich comparitively to what I have been living on for the past almost three years...which was $115 a month. Yeah. Mercy. So for the past three years I refused relationships or romance. I focused on me. Actually in the past before my health issues, I didnt fair well with relationships and while I would like to believe it was all their faults, it wasnt. Even before my health went bad, I was difficult and I needed to work on myself even then. So now while I havent been working and have had time on my hands, I took the time to better myself. I spent time in therapy and in spiritual practices. Its an ongoing process and I like the results I am getting.

My physical health is also improving. So is my mental and spiritual. (Tho out of all three, I need most help still in the spiritual domain.) I am a better person than I have ever been. But i am still not interested in a romance. Not the "walk down the aisle, I am ready to say forever romance". Hell, I just got my meds right! LOL You know how long that took?

Here is a bit of philosophy...I just now realize the real answer to life. Time. And no one wants to give it. I do. I have dug my stilletoes deep into the ground and I am dragging myself slowly thru time. Not because I am disabled. But because I am able to do that....no one can take that away from me. Only me.

I have sat for two years on BFP watching people be in love, fall sadly out of love, happily find love, never get over being hurt, never fall out of love, never find love at all....the whole time just sitting and watching and praying for everyone to be happy. What did I pray for myself? to stay out of harms way..and the only way I could do that was to stay single. For me, this was a good decision...

we all look for different things in our lives. I hope you find yours, Damsel...

Daywalker
04-14-2011, 08:54 PM
Subscribing

:tea:

:daywalker:

Corkey
04-14-2011, 10:32 PM
I am differently abled and found someone who just didn't give a rats patoot that I am. 3 herniated disc, arthritis, and fibro, amongst the most serious of issues. We all have flaws, it's how we deal with them that makes us who we are.
When you least expect it, there will be that one right person who will love you for you and not your ableness.

Good luck and don't sell yourself short.

Delish
04-14-2011, 11:26 PM
I got sick almost 3 yrs ago. In Sept I got my disability because I have Lupus. It has already attacked most of my organs. Besides flare ups which are HORRIBLE and the chronic fatigue I am pretty good for the most part. I went through the whole " I don't need a partner or anyone in my life. Who would want to deal with this" but now I am over it. I firmly believe that we don't find love, love finds us. So just think positive and take care of yourself.

iamkeri1
04-14-2011, 11:34 PM
I normally post in pink, but decided not to because I have been told it is hard for people with limited vision to read. I am disabled myself. I will post to this thread in a minute, but for now I just wanted to list some other threads on the topic so anyone interested can peruse them,
Smooches
Keri

Differently Abled (fly your freak flag high) (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278&highlight=handicap)

The Mythical *Pass* for Differently-Abled People (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1724&highlight=handicap)

Fibromyalgia/Chronic Illness/Chronic Pain/etc thread (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2224)

Ableism and Ableist Language (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2317)

iamkeri1
04-14-2011, 11:58 PM
It's funny - I don't knpw whether its because my eyes are tired or what, but this big type is HARDER for me to read.

I had polio at age three, walked with crutches for over forty years, and then when my arms began to go bad I switched full time to an electric scooter for mobility. The switch had negatives - no more dancing which I darly missed, and some problems with building accessibility. BUT the benefits have been overwhelmingly good for me. My energy level zoomed. I can use both hands at the same time for a task, I can carry my own tray in a cafeteria, I can do hundreds of activities that were difficult or impossible before, I can hold hands and move forward at the same time ,,, and I can finally "walk" and chew gum at the same time, LOL!

I had a wonderful 25 year marriage to my FTM husband who loved me both with crutches and with the scooter. He died seven years ago, and I spent most of that time alone. But it was ME who was not ready. This past year I have had loving relationships with two great people. Both relationships ended short of "forever", but the people I remain in touch with. It's real possible that I am still not ready.

But the point is, being disabled did not keep people from finding me attractive.

I am incredibly lucky (and incredibly grateful) to be pretty much pain free.

Blessings to you all. Single or partnered, may we all be content with our lives or have the ability to change them.
Smooches,
Keri

cuddlyfemme
04-15-2011, 05:50 AM
Like Keri, I normally post in pink but have been told how hard reading pink is so I'm writing this in black. I'm an epileptic, I've had epilepsy since I was 11. The children's neurologist that I saw said it would go away when I got older but it never did and more than likely never will. There's somethings that I can't do, like drive which is really frustrating...I hate depending on others and on public transportation. I take meds every morning and every night. They pretty much control the seizures but a few times a year I still seize.

Daktari
04-15-2011, 06:06 AM
Another here who takes daily meds for all sorts of things and whose life can be limited by health issues at any given time. You can't 'see' what's wrong so folks assume there is nothing wrong but then they don't know that I could have no feeling in my hands/arms that day or that I can barely draw breath (particularly in the winter - yay for better weather and calmer lungs), or that it took me hours just to get out of bed.

I've been very lucky that partners have understood my limitations and we've worked around them with minimum fuss.

Daywalker
04-15-2011, 10:57 AM
As of yesterday, I'm not sure what I've got.
:|

According to brand new tests, my 'Auto-Immune' stuff seems to all the
sudden be in order. My immune system is compromised, that is fer sure.
I was Dx'd with MS 13 years ago. Fibro & Arthritis are evident and have
been with me for years. So. Now. They are thinking I've had a small
series of Cardiac events that went undetected years back and have left
me fucked up with things that mimic many other conditions.
Reynauds is definitely present.
They still looking in on Sjogren's.
All this shit at once yesterday...has knocked me sideways
and wobbled my disposition for the last 24 hours.
:seeingstars:
So forgive me if I am lacking in the humor of it all right now.
I'm actually swimming in the pissed off and confused stage as I type.

That's my share for now.

Gonna have to go cheer myself up.
Or I'll have to ask myself to leave the room.

:weedsmoke:

Rockinonahigh
04-15-2011, 12:34 PM
Wow,good thred hear,thanks for starting it.I hope I set things right for you to beable to read this,so hear goes.
I was born a very tiny preemie,because of that as well as some of the fall out of the medical treatment I receved dureing the first months of my life I have had progressive deffness since birth,am dislesict(sp?) a bit hypre active along with some a.d.d. I really never felt like I was disabled because of all this because I have found ways to just deal with it because my grand parrents kept me in situations that gave me the way to find my way to deal with all of this.The deffness I will never out grow but the rest for the most part has blended into my life,some ppl deal with it some dont..those who dont
well I figure its there loss not mine.
Then In 1995 I injured my back wich herniated two disk,over the years I have blown it up a fue more times rideing rough stock in rodeos.Yes I knew I was walking a fine line with it but ..in truth really didnt care cause its my life and I was going to injoy it however I could.Now speed this up to today,my back had turned into arthritis,crazy burning sciatica to the toes at times...my feet tingle a lot...my neck has a poped vertabrae wich pinces my neck when I turn my head to far.Oh lets not forget the ashtma wich is something else to deal with minimaly.With all this I just keep on trucking..I limp,gimp,walk a bit funny sometimes.I once thought about how I lived my life and would I change it if I knew all this would happen...shure a fue things yes..but I would still do most of what I have done.I use to feel I would never have a relationship with any one,it bugged me like it dose many ppl.Now I just figure Im ok the way I am,if some sweet thing comes into my life...wonderful ,if not well its not ment to be.So I keep doin what im doing liveing my life by doing my best serrounding myself with possitive people helpes greatly.

Sachita
04-15-2011, 01:39 PM
First of all- HUGS to you all. I am blessed with good health, strong as a bull and STILL have trouble finding the right partner. No to derail but I think when seeking a life partner you must have things in common. Big things like what you believe, feel and how you connect. Everyone has pet peeves, deal breakers and disabilities in some form or another. You don't ever give up. You keep putting yourself out there, network with friends (Love comes in all forms) and curb the loneliness as best you can. I see a few of you here with some of the same challenges. As friends why not become partners- roommates, helpmates, etc? It would be cheaper and you'd have more support.

The Oopster
04-15-2011, 03:17 PM
i really don't expect anything. i'm trying to make my peace with this and think that i have. i like who i am and am at peace with the decisions i have made in my life. my spiritual life gets me through the days and nights. i must admit that this is hard sometimes, dealing w/dr.s a lot, having to make my way through bureaucracies just to get what i need to survive. i am thankful that i am able to do it, however, and am sure that i will adjust to being blind, just as i have to everything else that has come my way. that's a biggie to adjust to, but i'm a strong person! the Tao moves as Tao moves, and i will move with it.
namaste, my friends. i look forward to hearing from others!
DamselFly:tea:

Hi Damsel! I quoted what I thought was key! and put in black the biggest point. If you can do this then who knows where love may lie. My experience when able and when not as abled is that if I am at peace with who I am and my decisions and where life is at I am at the best position to attract someone, abilities don't matter. Many abled people without many challenges lack those things and struggle in relationships.

I am not as challenged as I once was. Was a point where I was basically in a wheel chair and bed bound, and way skinnier then I should have been. I have had several spine surgeries which have been successful as long as I dont get in a rear end collision again. Due to those and medications I was on I had developed chronic candidia to the point my body was shutting down. I still have minor episodes but have been able to move beyond that also.

For all practical purposes I'm probably as close to normal as I have ever been and will ever get. I still get every cold, virus, or whatever that passes my way, have to make wise decisions on the things I do physically, and watch my limits. Also have arthritisis and fibro but I am able to work again and lead what feels like a more "normal" life.

During the not so healthy stage i was in some relationships and it was hard but a lot of that was more to do with where I was inwardly. It wasn't so much that I wasn't at peace with stuff but I had a lot of time on my hands so what I felt were reasonable demands for intention from someone else really weren't. I didn't really realize that til I got healthier and then tried to work, be in a relationship, and juggle other interests and had the rolls reversed.

Now that I'm healthier I am currently chosing not to date. I still have issues and working again, trying to maintain friendships, deal with some other interests is about all i can handle. It seems like I'm majorily sick (over a weeks time every few months) Someday it would be nice and when it happens it will happen!

For me the key is to be happy and that will attract others when it's time!

First of all- HUGS to you all. I am blessed with good health, strong as a bull and STILL have trouble finding the right partner. No to derail but I think when seeking a life partner you must have things in common. Big things like what you believe, feel and how you connect. Everyone has pet peeves, deal breakers and disabilities in some form or another. You don't ever give up. You keep putting yourself out there, network with friends (Love comes in all forms) and curb the loneliness as best you can. I see a few of you here with some of the same challenges. As friends why not become partners- roommates, helpmates, etc? It would be cheaper and you'd have more support.

I will just give my 2 cents from my experience.

I think this works great for some people. Honestly sometimes I would love to be in a realtionship purely to half the amount of stuff I have to do. Not the reason to be in one but it would be nice to share the cooking, the laundry, the cleaning, etc.

A lot of it depends on how the two people are wired. When I was home bound and rarely got out it was important that my roommate was gone some of the time. Since I couldn't get away especially if he ticked me off I needed time that he was away so I could let things pass. Unfortunately even though the agreement was my roomie would be gone so many hours a week he wasn't. He was on disability also and ended up being home All the time. He could physically get out if he wanted but chose not to. That didn't work for me. I know that no matter how abled I am I need a certain amount of me time and me space. I find personally I am more productive during time that I am home alone then when someone is around and I need to have some of that time. Other people may not be that way and it may work. They may also have larger surroundings. The space one is confined to makes a huge difference also. Again just how I am wired and my experience.

Rockinonahigh
04-15-2011, 03:34 PM
OK,I am trying again to get this thing to put out big letters,So hear we go again.

One of the biggest things being difrently abled is the folks who are normal"whatever normal is" think many of us get a free pass for being difrentlyabled.I dont think I ever got a break because of my ablities,I have to work harder or difrently to get it done and often with better results cause we often put more effort into what it is we are doing.I can ashure u I havent lived a charmed life cause I havent,the hardest part of being diffrentlyabled is so many people either want to candy coat the issue,wich makes it worse or the bullys torment others cause they can get away with it..then say we are to sensitive.I call it BS.Many of us have gotten to where we are because we networked with people and places to to get the help we needed along the way.My hats off to the people who have helped any of us to to reach a goal or make a dream come true in many ways.If u have receved a helping hand...pass it on,there are many ways to do so.

Note from June: I made the font bigger for ya!

Sachita
04-15-2011, 03:59 PM
I need space. lots of it. Any time you live with someone this could be an issue unless you set boundaries and have enough space. Even when I'm in a relationship I want my own bedroom. I've always preferred this.

lipstixgal
04-15-2011, 04:03 PM
I also suffer from disabilities like Fibro and bipolar disorder which can get me down. I have been struggling since I had the Lyme's disease 10 years ago. I am a medical assistant and want to work and be part of a functioning society as well so I can understand what it is like to have pain every day and not be able to get going every day!! I wish the best of luck to everyone on this thread and hope they find a cure for what ales people!!

wolfbittenpoet
04-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Completely understand the feeling of never finding someone who love me as I am. I have issues due to complications of strep throat and as a result I am on hemodialysis. Needless to say it limits my ability to do things. Some days I don't even want to crawl out of bed. But this site and online socialization keeps me relatively sane.

Soft*Silver
04-15-2011, 04:44 PM
so..does anyone else have problems getting pain meds from their Dr? I swear my Dr is so paranoid! I ask for pain meds twice a year. I ask for maybe two weeks worth of meds at a time. Wow. Some addict I am. And I ask only for enough to help me sleep..not 24 hour coverage. YET...my Dr refuses to give them to me! I have to read her the riot act and go in, show her how damn crippled up I am, break down into tears, which makes me feel like I am at her mercy instead of a grown up to be trusted, before she takes me in earnest. After treating me for almost 3 years, why cant she just take my word for it?

THIS is why the little green plant has become my friend at rare times

Daywalker
04-15-2011, 05:24 PM
:cannabis:

For myself, I find that the consumption of the Groovy Green along
with absorbing high levels of pain at times...is preferable to being
Pharmacologically dependent on anything the Drug Manufacturing
Machine has to offer. I take Ultram 50mg and Flexeril for break
though pain. Ultram is a non-narcotic. Perhaps you can get your
Doc to look into the Ultram, and perhaps gradually get
you on the Ultram ER (extended release 200mg)

:daywalker:.

citybutch
04-15-2011, 05:37 PM
Don't forget Connie Panzarino's The Me In the Mirror

Amazon.com: The Me in the Mirror (9781878067456): Connie Panzarino: Books

Connie was one of my dearest friends and I miss her madly... and I will always talk about her book....

I love me some Connie! :)

I normally post in pink, but decided not to because I have been told it is hard for people with limited vision to read. I am disabled myself. I will post to this thread in a minute, but for now I just wanted to list some other threads on the topic so anyone interested can peruse them,
Smooches
Keri

Differently Abled (fly your freak flag high) (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=278&highlight=handicap)

The Mythical *Pass* for Differently-Abled People (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1724&highlight=handicap)

Fibromyalgia/Chronic Illness/Chronic Pain/etc thread (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2224)

Ableism and Ableist Language (http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2317)

The Oopster
04-15-2011, 07:48 PM
It's been ages since I've read this book but found it reassuring and inspirational at the timne I read it:

The Alchemy of Illness by Kat Duff she is a counselor in private practice that has chronic fatigue syndrome.

always2late
04-15-2011, 08:03 PM
so..does anyone else have problems getting pain meds from their Dr? I swear my Dr is so paranoid! I ask for pain meds twice a year. I ask for maybe two weeks worth of meds at a time. Wow. Some addict I am. And I ask only for enough to help me sleep..not 24 hour coverage. YET...my Dr refuses to give them to me! I have to read her the riot act and go in, show her how damn crippled up I am, break down into tears, which makes me feel like I am at her mercy instead of a grown up to be trusted, before she takes me in earnest. After treating me for almost 3 years, why cant she just take my word for it?

This enrages me! I have two herniated discs...and I'm a nurse. I work 12 hour shifts where I am on my feet for most of those hours. Yet, when the pain gets bad enough that I can barely walk and I go to my Dr....he looks at me like I'm an addict! MORON!! Look at my medical history!! Do you SEE an abuse of medication?? Thanks for making me feel like my pain doesn't really matter when you see that I can barely walk or stand upright. I swear, compassion is sorely lacking in healthcare. Note: Like softness...I only ask for the pain meds when it gets really bad...MAYBE twice a year, and only enough to get me through a week or so until the pain subsides enough that I can function...yep, if I'm an addict I'm sure as hell doing it wrong!

DomnNC
04-15-2011, 09:49 PM
I understand about the frustration of getting pain meds. I've had 2 cervical fusions and one lumbar fusion with all sorts of hardware. I have permanent nerve damage due to waiting too long to have anything done about these things.

The DEA is cracking down hard on Dr's who prescribe a lot of pain meds. My PCP sent me to a pain Dr to determine what the extent of damage I had. The pain Dr made a recommendation as to the type, amount and dosage of pain meds. He put this in writing to my PCP and said he would prefer that my PCP write the prescription each month or every 3 months so that one Dr was prescribing all my meds and would know everything I'm taking. I don't know if any of ya'll having issues with getting pain meds have been to a pain specialist or not. If not, go to one and have them make the recommendation back to your PCP and have it put in your file, that way the PCP's butt is covered in the event the DEA pays a visit to their office or makes an inquiry.

You can go to the American Pain Foundations website and go to the PainSafe tab, there is a section for Dr's on pain treatment with opiods, print out some of it and take it to your Dr and have an open honest discussion with them about it. Here's the link:

http://www.painfoundation.org/

DomnNC
04-15-2011, 10:02 PM
I take Ultram 50mg and Flexeril for break
though pain. Ultram is a non-narcotic. Perhaps you can get your
Doc to look into the Ultram, and perhaps gradually get
you on the Ultram ER (extended release 200mg)

I hate to break it to you but Ultram is indeed a narcotic, it is a synthetic opiate and it can be addictive, tho they claim the incidence of addiction is far less than most opiates. There are lots of people who have gotten addicted to it and withdrawals from it are hell for some people. My Dr prescribed it to me at one point but it did nothing for my pain level.

"While Ultram is technically a narcotic or opioid pain medication, it is different from typical narcotics in that patients do not build up a tolerance with extended usage and there is a very low incidence of addiction. With other narcotics there is a general tendency to escalate the dosage of the medicine with time and a chance of addiction. The narcotic effect of Ultram is not as strong as the narcotic agents in other common pain medications, such as Vicodin (hydrocodone) and Oxycontin and Percocet (Oxycodone)."

Full text here: http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/pain-medication/ultram-pain-reliever

Check out these people's experiences with Ultram:

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-drugs/ultram-ultracet-tramadol-22123-2.html

Corkey
04-15-2011, 10:26 PM
While I seldom take any pain meds, as I am allergic in icky ways to the stuff, every now and again I have to have them, and just acknowledge that the side effects are gonna kick my ass. That said I cannot take opiates, my PCP knows this and has no issue with prescribing Hydrocodone for me. He also knows I am not a drug seeker and have mind managed my pain levels for 30+ years. Having a good PCP is paramount to good pain management. Self education of medicines and their uses and counter indications is helpful when having these discussions with your Doc. I cannot take Ultram because I take Meloxicam for the arthritis, it is counter indicated.
Be aware, be proactive, be informed, it is your in your best interest.

scootebaby
04-15-2011, 10:44 PM
i never really considered myself disabled...even after 1st time i hurt my back. Even though afterwards i couldnt do as much rough housing or goofing off or chasing my kid...we just adapted...till this last injury--the L5 came out and is laying on my S1 nerve--after realizing i am wore out after a shower,or cant walk or ride for more than 20 mins at most...if i go in pool i have to just float,my son would love for more activity...he has again adjusted to my diasibility---now i gotta learn how...most of the time i get upset by it,wanna push thru it,but between my g/f and my son i dont bc in the long run i dont want to have to sit on the sidelines for everything...at the moment i am on dilaudid...b4 that i was on hydrocodone,flexeril and restoril to sleep..i still use the restoril but it takes a long while to kick in...the dilaudid is taking pain away but i refrain from it unless pain is really bad....suddenly the hydrocodone seems to upset my stomach

Rockinonahigh
04-15-2011, 11:06 PM
I take ultram 50mg and flexerill 5mg to help me with pain,my doc has prescribed me the meds knowing im takeing meloxicam for my arthritis,I will check with my pharmacist tomorrow to c if I should see about some kind of change of meds.Sofar I havent had a prob with anything,but have wondered about if I could have a prob.If it wasnt for the ultram and flexerill I prolly wouldnt sleep most nights or get thrue many days,sofar its the onlything that really works without knocking me flat out..wich I hate.

Corkey
04-15-2011, 11:13 PM
I take ultram 50mg and flexerill 5mg to help me with pain,my doc has prescribed me the meds knowing im takeing meloxicam for my arthritis,I will check with my pharmacist tomorrow to c if I should see about some kind of change of meds.Sofar I havent had a prob with anything,but have wondered about if I could have a prob.If it wasnt for the ultram and flexerill I prolly wouldnt sleep most nights or get thrue many days,sofar its the onlything that really works without knocking me flat out..wich I hate.

I asked my Doc, he said if I didn't have any side effects I could take the two together, ...I had side effects many years ago with them together. Your mileage may vary as with all meds, but know your risks and your body.

Daywalker
04-15-2011, 11:13 PM
I hate to break it to you but Ultram is indeed a narcotic, it is a synthetic opiate and it can be addictive, tho they claim the incidence of addiction is far less than most opiates. There are lots of people who have gotten addicted to it and withdrawals from it are hell for some people. My Dr prescribed it to me at one point but it did nothing for my pain level.

"While Ultram is technically a narcotic or opioid pain medication, it is different from typical narcotics in that patients do not build up a tolerance with extended usage and there is a very low incidence of addiction. With other narcotics there is a general tendency to escalate the dosage of the medicine with time and a chance of addiction. The narcotic effect of Ultram is not as strong as the narcotic agents in other common pain medications, such as Vicodin (hydrocodone) and Oxycontin and Percocet (Oxycodone)."

Full text here: http://www.spine-health.com/treatment/pain-medication/ultram-pain-reliever

Check out these people's experiences with Ultram:

http://www.drugs.com/forum/featured-drugs/ultram-ultracet-tramadol-22123-2.html

Holy Crap
:shocking:

LOL

:rofl:

Well, I take a 50mg about 5 times a week.
:thinking:

Unfortunetly anything stronger than Motrin makes me feel hella icky.

Throws mah balance/equilibruim sideways; compare it to
being in the yuckiest part of a drunken state...and
yer stuck there for like 2 hours.

:hospital-snoopy:
Woozy, but not the good kind.

:seeingstars:

See, I was told that the Ultram 50mg was classified non-narcotic.
:hypno:

I'll have to decide how I feel about
all that later, for now Imunna marinate.

DomnNC
04-16-2011, 12:38 AM
i never really considered myself disabled...even after 1st time i hurt my back. Even though afterwards i couldnt do as much rough housing or goofing off or chasing my kid...we just adapted...till this last injury--the L5 came out and is laying on my S1 nerve--after realizing i am wore out after a shower,or cant walk or ride for more than 20 mins at most...if i go in pool i have to just float,my son would love for more activity...he has again adjusted to my diasibility---now i gotta learn how...most of the time i get upset by it,wanna push thru it,but between my g/f and my son i dont bc in the long run i dont want to have to sit on the sidelines for everything...at the moment i am on dilaudid...b4 that i was on hydrocodone,flexeril and restoril to sleep..i still use the restoril but it takes a long while to kick in...the dilaudid is taking pain away but i refrain from it unless pain is really bad....suddenly the hydrocodone seems to upset my stomach

I totally know where you are coming from, that's the last surgery I had, L5-S1, fusion, rods, pins,plates and screws down into my hip bones. I waited too long to have anything done. Like you I just pushed thru the pain and made the best of it, little did I know I was doing more harm to myself. I now have permanent nerve damage in my left foot and calf. If I walk to long now my left leg goes totally numb up into my hip, at times I just lose my leg and down I go. Listen to your girlfriend and son, let them help you right now until it is decided how to proceed medically. I wouldn't hesitate to say there is more going on than the herniated disc. My neurosurgeon said he couldn't believe I was still walking cuz I had all kinds of infection and inflammation going on in the nerves and disc as well as the herniation and had structural damage as well. But ask anyone that knows me, I don't let it stop me from doing things I want to do now. I don't let my "disability" define me in any way and from what I can see you won't either. It's good to have that inner strength and toughness, it will see you through. Good luck and if there's anything I can answer for you please don't hesitate to ask, like I said, I've been there, done that, lol.

Rockinonahigh
04-16-2011, 02:10 AM
Im up paceing the floor cause Iam hurting from pain in my lower back,with it comes the twitchy itchy feeling in my left leg..just took a tramadole 50mg with flexerill 5mg.I really dont like to take any kind of meds,for years I have pusede thrue pain and just did what I had to do,I also have lidoderm pain patches I use when I cant take anything or dont want to take pain pills but over time they irritate my skin so I use them spareingly.Hopeing the meds kick in soon,I am really tired,I fell asleep fitfuly but woke up to many times.Tramadole is suposed to be a subtasute for ultram..I dont know if it really is just know it works.

Daktari
04-16-2011, 04:41 AM
Sorry to remind you guys but the OP asked for fonts in size 5 or bigger..

Sachita
04-16-2011, 05:21 AM

change dr. this is bs

scootebaby
04-16-2011, 10:05 AM
Incubus thanks for the reminder....it was late,waiting for pills to kick in,and wasnt thinking. Dom--thanks for your response...i am hoping that surgery is only an option not a have to case...when i first injured it affected my right side...i would come home in tears after working a 12 hr shift...in 2007 the disc bulged and just touched the nerve...i took PT and had 3 epidurals...lived on ibuprofen because they said nothing else could be done...so i let it go up till about 5 months ago when i couldnt stand it any longer..they put me on loracets and flexeril 10mg...fast forward to almost 3 weeks ago....the disc went,but this time it affected my left side initially...dilaudid was prescribed..the last few days from my hips down both legs tingle,gets feeling of numbness,and aches so bad i cant sit still....it really sucks not being able to move around...watch my g/f work herself silly everyday with her work,the home,and me...then there is the fact my store is hanging by a thread bc my people cant seem to get their egos thru the door!

JustJo
04-16-2011, 10:31 AM
...watch my g/f work herself silly everyday with her work,the home,and me...

I'm silly anyway honey...you know that... :kissy:

I think it's important to not "tough it out" but to take it easy, see what's happening, and insist on the care you (and that's all of you) need from the doctors. Too often it's the insurance companies making the decisions, based on money, and you have to be an insistent and determined advocate for yourself.

Toughy
04-16-2011, 10:33 AM
Vicodin is hydrocodone + acetaminophen (tylenol). Vicodan is hydrocodone + aspirin. Hydrocodone is an opiate.

Percoset is oxycodone + acetaminophen. Percodan is oxycodone + aspirin. Oxycodone is an opiate.

MS Contin is morphine in a continuous release formula.

IF you take Vicodin or Percoset on a daily basis, you should ask your doctor for 'plain' hydrocodone or oxycodone. Or you could ask your doc for the formula that has aspirin instead of tylenol. Tylenol can cause permanent liver damage and an overdose of tylenol can kill you (yes kill you dead of liver failure).

ALL of your drugs should be filled at the same pharmacy no matter what doctor orders them.

amiyesiam
04-16-2011, 10:58 AM

Actually thank you for saying this. Some of us have a hard time saying things that need to be said.

Spork
04-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Also, check out how to make your own browser adjust font sizes for you. That way, it doesn't matter if someone forgets to do it for you.

http://www.disabled-world.com/disability/accessibility/websitedesign/resizing-text.php

Also: http://www.ehow.com/how_4877692_adjust-browser-font-size.html

Soft*Silver
04-19-2011, 10:25 PM
tramadol is a waste of energy to open my mouth to even take it. it does nothing, nothing, nothing for me. I get sent home with a script for it like its suppose to be my miracle drug. I would rather drink again that rely on that shit. Seriously. Self medication is better than dealing with doctors in denial about my pain.

My surgery is Monday and I was told I am going to get an epideral drip and that they dont kid around with pain.They sent me home with a script for liquid oxycotin. Damn. And yes they know I am in recovery. They asked me if I am responsible. Hell yes. Finally. FINALLY.

While I like my PPC, after this surgery, if my level of pain doesnt go down, I am done with her. The past two years have been traumatic. When I look back on it I cant imagine how I survived the shit I went thru and endured the level of pain I had. It looks like a grainy old black and white film when I think of it...sad...depressing...I dont want another day like that in my Here and Now. I was put thru a bureaucratric crime war to get on SSDI...I feel like I was released as a POW.

DamselFly
04-19-2011, 10:27 PM
i apologize for taking so long to get back here. i now have a new-born orphaned foal in my life that depends mainly on me sometimes. that has turned life upside-down and sideways, in a good way, though. despite the toll that lack of sleep takes, seeing Nickers's sweet strong spirit while he learns how to use his body and explores this new world makes everything worthwhile. *smile* watching him is better than any drug, and the effects of loving him long-lasting!
i have been reading all of Y/your posts and am amazed at Y/your spirit and determination to live life to Y/your fullest! thank Y/you for sharing Y/your stories, books that inspire Y/you, and information on meds, dr.s, and other things medical. a special thanks to DOMNC for info on meds!
by the way, tramadol is "just" the generic for Ultram. i don't like the automatic substitution that insurance requires of generics for brand drugs. i've found, that despite claims to the opposite, generics are NOT the same chemically for the most part as brand drugs. sometimes that difference can have dangerous effects and/or interactions with other medications. i REALLY dislike that medicine, esp. for those of us on medicare/SSD and/or medicaid, is dictated largely by the insurance companies, instead of by medical professionals. i also wish that medicare and medicaid did not differ so state by state, thus making the quality of medical care available largely dependent upon where you live. surprisingly, i'm finding that the general quality of medical care i received in WV is superior, esp. when it comes to PCPs. though i have access now to the best eye clinic in OK, i have been told nothing that my optho dr in WV did not say and offered no better solution than his. i.e., i am going blind; now the rate of optic nerve deterioration has increased, and the dr.s can offer no solution other than eye drops to try to hold on to what little vision i have left. apparently, i don't have enough optic nerves left to try anything else. in addition, i'm having to go through the whole process of "proving" i have MS, despite being diagnosed in the past by 3 neurologists. i'm so tired of having to do this every time i move. why do i have to do this???
for my book contribution, i can recommend The Migraine Brain, can't remember the authour-female MD based in NYCity. excellent book that explains migraines as a whole-body neurological disease and has things to take to Y/your dr. to explain what is needed by a migraineur in general. has A/anyone ever taken lidocaine shots for migraines? i am going to start them thursday (from the same neurologist making me prove i have MS). i looked this treatment up online and found that this is a treatment given for cluster headaches, not migraines. since i've tried everything on the market for migraines (and some alternative treatments), i'm willing to try this. but i don't like this neuro-he has the same god-complex i've run into before in many neuros.
Taoism/Buddhism gives me strength and the ability to do what i can to give back to others. compassion and loving-kindness are the basis for life for me, and i try my best to offer what i can to all sentient beings, be they animal, people, insects, plants, whatever. meditation helps greatly. re a partner, i had given up on the possibility but now do not close myself off to that any longer. whatever my medical status, i am still me and have much to offer to the right person, plus i make a wonderful friend, the foundation for any kind of relationship! so believe in Y/yourself; be kind to Y/yourself and others, and the rest will follow. Tao moves as Tao moves, and karma DOES affect this life as well as future incarnations.
i hope and think that W/we have the foundation and beginning of a community here. please keep posting and let U/us support one another!
namaste, my friends! (and i appreciate Y/your efforts to post in larger fonts!)
DamselFly :moonstars:

iamkeri1
05-14-2011, 08:05 PM
A Saturday night hello to you all. I am wondering how everyone is doing, so I am bumping this up.
Smooches,
Keri
(f)(f)(f)(f)(f)(f)(f)(f)(f)(f)(f)(f)(f)

Rockinonahigh
05-14-2011, 09:29 PM
Hi Keri,how are u?All I can say about being diffrently abled ...well its a pain in the a$$ at times,I use to worry about things and how it was going to be in haveing diffrent ablities now that also kept me from doing the things I wanted to do.The docs agree that I do have a fue problems but are draging there feet about what to do,soooo what am I to do?The anser I came up with was just to do all I wanted to do,reguardless of the health issues I have,im not doing anything stupid and crazy but im liveing life to the fullist I can.If something goes out of wack I just hop to the E.R then deal with it as needed.Not long agao my asthma kept kicking in cause of the weather but it didnt stop me from doing what I needed to do as the meds I take keep in in check,my back goes nuts at times...meds again..keep on trucking.I take pain pills and relaxers to keep going as neded so all is going way better that I thought they would.

iamkeri1
05-15-2011, 12:39 AM
Rockin,
It is always good to hear from you. Your posts are so positive. I mean when you look at life, what else CAN you do but do your best to have a full life?

As you know I use a scooter for mobility. I constantly receive "compliments" from people about how well I am doing "getting around." I usually smile and say thanks (Why not - they're only trying to be nice), but sometimes I say back - "Hey you are doing a pretty good job of getting around yourself. I like the way you're walking there." They look at me funny, and then they laugh. Then there are the folks who tell me they find me amazing, or wonderful or some other positive adjective because I am working or driving or doing some other normal activity. What do they expect us to do with our lives? Stay in bed and cry all day?

Well maybe one of our roles in life is to be the educators as to what can be accomplished by us "handicapped" people, LOL.

Keep rockin, Rockin!
Smooches,
Keri

TIMBERWOLF
05-15-2011, 08:46 AM
Hey Ms DamselFly,
I have been disabled since 1988 with a hip injury from being a Meat cutter.I was also born with a foot smaller and turned in.It took me two yrs to learn to walk after this injury and they couldn't do anything for my hip because I was too young to have a hip replacement and it wouldn't last. They wanted me to wait till I was 60,well thats coming up fast and i mainly walk with a cane now do to the pain i have. The Dr's wanted me to take Vicodin for the pain and i refused .I found that my Mortin 800mg worked on the pain along with my muscle relaxer(PRN).My pelvis also sits on my sciatica nerve which also gives me pain. I can't walk like i use to,or dance,go bowling and do the things I like to do.My partner is also disabled.We both still work and still able to get around,thank the Spirits.
We do things we can and understand our constraint of things we can't.The Motrin has knocked out my kidneys and they want me to take Tylenol which doesn't do much for my pain and my Aunt died from Tylenol poisoning.Unfortunately Lidocaine Im hypersensitive to, and hurts me 5X more than it does most people, so veer away as much as possible when i hear it. I use to take Caffergot for my Migraines when i was younger, which allowed me to still work without being in the dark and taking Darvocet. I haven't had one since my Hysterectomy in 1996.I have asked my Endocrinologist if she would recommend something for my pain but she won't ,so I will have to find a pain doctor. I normally only take my meds after i get home from work,because I don't want to impair my judgment with my patients,so I take my motrin with my bad kidneys.
TIMBER

A/anyone ever taken lidocaine shots for migraines? i am going to start them thursday (from the same neurologist making me prove i have MS).
DamselFly :moonstars:

Rockinonahigh
05-15-2011, 01:57 PM
Hi Keri
I get where you are comeing from about being mobile,I know theres a scooter some where with my name on it but I hope it dosent show up anytime soon.Mont people have no idea I keep a walking cane in my car at all times just incase I need it.at home I also have one right along with four pairs of crutches and all kinds of back/knee braces mostly never worn except the oldest ones I used when I had the accident and needed them more than now.
For me what helps is plenty or as much as I can stand leg strengthining exersises wich I do three times a week or more if I can,I also do lots of core work as long as it dosent agravate something or other in my back right along with tons of upper body work.I use a stair stepper at 100 or more steps every day I use it,I also use free weights top do lots of upper body stuff and the bowflex helps a lot to.I am hopeing the doc will just give my a shot to deaden or quieten my sciatic nerve but so far nada for what ever reason I haveno idea.Yeaterday my son placed a chin bar between to beems in the garage and some pading on the wall so I dont lean on the wood wall,the idea is the core strength leg lifts the gymnist use against a wall and I can already do a reasonable leg lift and not bave any pressure on my back.It all comes down to pure down mule stubborness I got tons of that..being a bone head has some benefits.I also rest when I need it often before my body says rest helps bunches.
Rockin

Andrew, Jr.
05-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Hi Everyone. I hope everyone is doing ok these days.

DomnNC
05-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Hey Timberwolf,

I'm kinda surprised to hear your Dr tell you that about hip replacements. My baby brother (who is now 45) had both hips totally replaced by the time he was 33. His condition came about because some ignorant Dr kept him on prednisone for 3 years, it ate all the cartilage up between his hip and shoulder joints. He was in such agony trying to walk that his surgeon opted to give him hip replacements. As with any newfangled implants they don't last forever and have to be replaced at some point, the hope is technology will advance by that time to where there is a more suitable replacement that will indeed last longer or be permanent. I think his Dr told him if he didn't abuse his hips that his could last for 15 years or a little longer.

I've had 2 cervical fusions and one lumbar fusion and I know my neurosurgeon told me that they last on the average of 10 years if no more abuse is heaped upon the vertebrae. My first cervical fusion was in 1998, the 2nd one right above it in 2004, which my neurosurgeon inspected the one he did in 1998 and said it still looked brand new, woohoo, cuz I'm passed that 10 year thing by 3 years on the first one, lol. But I know in the future I'll have to have it done again. Would I do it all over as I have, darn right, the improvement in the quality of life area vastly improved, as with my brother.
I guess it's a trade-off knowing if your quality of life would improve greatly vs having to have a repeat surgery. Sounds to me like he only wants ya to have it once and hopes you bite the bullet before that 15 year lapse. It's a shame they've made you wait all this time and endure the level of pain you seem to have.

deb_U_taunt
05-15-2011, 04:01 PM
Hello...new to butchfemmeplanet and gaining a laundry list of issues myself.
Currently, fighting cancer for the 3rd time.

Debby

iamkeri1
05-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Rockin,
On the subject of scooters. Using a scooter has been 99% positive for me. I've experienced a huge increase in energy, and I can do a million things that I could not do before. When I was walking on crutches I used to use up the last iota of my energy doing everyday tasks. I could continue to keep going as long as I kept going (an object in motion tends to stay in motion, LOL) I could work all day, come home, cook dinner, wash clothes, do some sewing, wash dishes, etc. and fall in to bed exhausted. BUT if I came home from work and made the mistake of sitting down on the couch to talk to my sweetie for a while, then I was done. Either he was cooking or we were ordering in pizza. I used to keep work piled up bedside the couch because TV was too boring to sit there and just watch. I would do bills, crochet, turn up pants or skirts, whatever. I wish I had started using the scooter at least part time much earlier than I did. We each have to make our own decisions though.

You certainly are doing lots to keep yourself going. I salute you.

Smooches,
Keri

DomnNC
05-15-2011, 04:47 PM
Hello...new to butchfemmeplanet and gaining a laundry list of issues myself.
Currently, fighting cancer for the 3rd time.

Debby

Welcome to the thread Debby. I hate to hear that and wish you the best in your fight.

Rockinonahigh
05-15-2011, 05:05 PM
Yeah I got the same problem about getting stiff and hard to move when get up after being on the go a lot.At work I only sit for a fue minits at the time so this wont happen or I take my breaks in strange ways,like proping on the counter top ot putting my left foot on a box about 6 inches off the floor cause it relaxes my leg.When I get home I pop tramadole 50mg, take a hot shower then laydown for an hour..u bet that helps a lot.Usely when I sit for very long I get up stiff and walk gimpy for several steps then sorta loosen up.Also I have a lifetime supply of ice packs and know how to use them and where they go.I am thinking of flying to Little Rock to save stress on the old back..will be easyer.

DamselFly
05-17-2011, 10:50 AM
i've found that rest alternated w/activity works best for me. if i stay prone too long, i start hurting more. luckily, life on the farm doesn't let me stay prone for too long!
i just went to get my driver's license and didn't pass the vision test-no surprise. so i must take a form to my eye dr. to be filled out. he will probably say that i can't drive. not that i ever intent to do so, but a driver's license seems to carry more "oomph" than an ID card. we'll "see" what he says, lol.
thanks for everyone's contributions to this thread!
namaste,
DamselFly :glasses:

deb_U_taunt
05-20-2011, 03:58 PM
My boss made me cry today. He told me to have no worries about losing my job while I am going through chemo and radiation, etc. I am feeling very blessed.

TIMBERWOLF
05-20-2011, 09:05 PM
Yep, they said it wouldn't last back in 1992 so thats why they said to wait. I only wish i could have had it done when i had the time off to have it done instead of now when i have already used my wk vacation for this yr when i had to go home to take care of my dad.

Hey Timberwolf,

I'm kinda surprised to hear your Dr tell you that about hip replacements. My baby brother (who is now 45) had both hips totally replaced by the time he was 33. His condition came about because some ignorant Dr kept him on prednisone for 3 years, it ate all the cartilage up between his hip and shoulder joints. He was in such agony trying to walk that his surgeon opted to give him hip replacements. As with any newfangled implants they don't last forever and have to be replaced at some point, the hope is technology will advance by that time to where there is a more suitable replacement that will indeed last longer or be permanent. I think his Dr told him if he didn't abuse his hips that his could last for 15 years or a little longer.

I've had 2 cervical fusions and one lumbar fusion and I know my neurosurgeon told me that they last on the average of 10 years if no more abuse is heaped upon the vertebrae. My first cervical fusion was in 1998, the 2nd one right above it in 2004, which my neurosurgeon inspected the one he did in 1998 and said it still looked brand new, woohoo, cuz I'm passed that 10 year thing by 3 years on the first one, lol. But I know in the future I'll have to have it done again. Would I do it all over as I have, darn right, the improvement in the quality of life area vastly improved, as with my brother.
I guess it's a trade-off knowing if your quality of life would improve greatly vs having to have a repeat surgery. Sounds to me like he only wants ya to have it once and hopes you bite the bullet before that 15 year lapse. It's a shame they've made you wait all this time and endure the level of pain you seem to have.

DamselFly
05-22-2011, 10:06 AM
what a dismal week, medically! first, my glaucoma specialist tells me that i am now legally blind. then (this is the "in trouble" part") my gp. refuses to renew my fentanyl patches (100 mgs, every 48 hrs) from my prescription in WV. she DID refer me to a pain specialist but tells me that getting an appt will take a long time. when i asked what to do in the meantime, she says, "well, that is not my problem." ai, what a compassionate dr.! more info on the fibromyalgia/chronic pain thread. from all the info i've found on the web, coming off this cold-turkey is a very, very BAD idea...
*not looking forward to the coming days...*
DamselFly :(

iamkeri1
05-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Damsel.
Could you call your old doctor, tell them you are traveling out of state, and get the prescription renewed that way?
Smooches,
Keri

deb_U_taunt
05-23-2011, 05:05 PM
I feel blessed with wonderful and loving people in my life.
Didn't know how many people cared, until I was down.

iamkeri1
06-13-2011, 12:23 PM
How is everyone doing this week? The heat here is incredible. Of course it's always hot here in the summer, but it is a little early this year. I moved fo Florida for the heat, and I have certainly not been denied it, LOL.

Hope y'all are doing well, Pop in and say a word or two.
Smooches,
Keri

Hollylane
06-13-2011, 01:27 PM
Hello All,
I'll pop in and say a word or two..Though I'm well known for using a whole lot more then one or two!

I have gastroparesis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastroparesis). I miss a lot of work due to pain, nausea and vomiting. As I've mentioned recently in other posts, I recently had a pyloroplasty (http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/pyloroplasty) to hopefully relieve some of my symptoms(but added another nasty one that I won't burden all of you with knowing). The medications I take for pain and nausea are debilitating and make it impossible for me to report to work fit for duty when I am on them. The only medication that would likely help the most is the green stuff. My employer would not support this as a treatment option, and probably couldn't legally if they wanted to.

At work, there is a lot of water cooler talk about my attendance, and because I do not have a visible disability, it is mostly assumed that I am a dead beat employee. As a workaholic/over achiever, this is distressing to me.

I really miss being up and able enough to do the things I really enjoy in life, and I really miss being the star employee!

That's all I have for now. Hope everyone is having a great day!

deb_U_taunt
06-17-2011, 08:30 PM
Considering smoking for chemo side effects. I haven't smoked pot in years. The meds for the side effects have some shit side effects.

T D
06-17-2011, 08:37 PM
Considering smoking for chemo side effects. I haven't smoked pot in years. The meds for the side effects have some shit side effects.

Have you thought about cooking with canna-butter? just a thought. I made some and use it for cooking and occasional consumption. I'm not big on pot, but it does help with my Fibro some. I especially notice it the next morning (after having some at bedtime), my entire body seems more relaxed.

Just a thought.

Best of luck to you.

Soft*Silver
07-17-2011, 09:46 PM
I hate the way pot makes me feel in my head but I love the way it helps my body. On very rare occassions when the pain was too much for me to endure and the damn PCP wouldnt give me pain meds, I resorted to pot. I havent had to do that for a few months since the gastric surgery because i had a long script for vicodine but thats almost out. So now I have to use pot or find a new PCP...which I wanted to do anyway.

I hate the feeling of being high. I am also in recovery and have an ethical delimma about using pot, even if it is to alleviate pain. Because I loathe it so much, i dont consider it a break in my sobriety. Its also no different than the vicodine. Its for the pain. There have been times it kept me from chewing my fingers down to the knuckles.

DressyFemme
02-10-2017, 11:49 AM
I have Adult ADHD (why I lost my job of 9 years... just came up after my total hysterectomy). I also was diagnosed with major depression, generalized anxiety disorder... and am in recovery from binge eating disorder and diabetes type 2. Recovery is going well but I had a complex surgery recently for endometriosis in my pelvis and colon and am going in again Thursday for herniated disc surgery on my lower back. Thank God for the end of pain being in sight...

I find I now have to work part time vs full time because I need to take care of me. Seeing my treatment team regularly takes time! Plus there are days where I just don't want to do anything although not many as of late. But I have to have "me" time for exercise and social activities and recovery.

I'm also a caregiver. My partner also has BED and diabetes, and is on disability retirement after an injury at work worsened into foot ulcers and an experimental treatment caused a foot deformity. She gets SSD and is semi-ambulatory and needs assistance with long distance walking and walking on untreated surfaces. (Snow, ice). It's been a huge adjustment for both of us as we were both active beforehand. Some days we just stay home; others I get out of the house and assist with shopping, picking up meds, and acting as her POA and health care proxy. (Really glad we set up that paperwork when we did).

I'm in process of going back to work after surgery. I'm worried about my partner being alone while I'm at work and wish I was financially independent but life hands you what you can deal with I guess.

Any other disabled caregivers here? I salute you for your love and dedication.