PDA

View Full Version : THYROID SHIELDS (GUARDS) (A MUST READ FOR ALL)

Scorp
04-15-2011, 09:07 AM
Hey Folks,

I'm not in the habit of watching Dr. Oz, but today have it on in the background. I found this to be VERY interesting and educational. It's about radiation risk to your thyroid when having a mammogram or dental x-ray.

I have never heard of a "thyroid shield" (or guard as it's also known called) but now am going to be sure I ask for one when getting my mammograms and dental x-rays. They are also sold for $25.00

While most of the facts point to it's a great idea to have the shields, there is some controversy about these shields possibly compromising part of the mammogram breast image (being cut off blocking part of the breast). If that is the case, the mammogram will need to be done over.

Dr. Oz recommendations regarding concern about the shield and what OUR rights are as patients:

- Dental X-rays: Wear (ask) for the guard, because it doesn't impact the image.

- Mammograms: You have a right to ask for the thyroid guard, however if your Radiologist, Doctor or Technician says you're compromising the image, you're STILL going to get the mammogram.

Particularly in MY case every 6 months I need to have my thyroid monitored during my Endocrinologist appts. Four years ago a small nodule was found and they want to keep an eye on it to be sure it isn't growing. Luckily, it's still the same size and I will continue getting it checked. If it gets larger, I will need to have a biopsy to make sure it isn't cancerous.

In regard to MY mammograms, I received my first one was when I was 20 years old. When I was 17 years old, the doctor found a lump under my arm (in my armpit area). It was removed and I received 7 stitches. This is another controversial issue because some say you shouldn't get a mammogram prior to 40 - 50 years old.

In MY opinion, that's bullshit. Breast cancer runs in my family and I lost my grandmother and aunt to it. I also have a tendency to get fibroids and some things show up on my x-rays. Because of this, they have to also do an ultrasound of the area to be sure I'm in the clear. Thankfully, the results always come back negative. Even if you don't have a history of breast cancer in your family, you're still at risk.

OK, now back to the Thyroid Shield:

Bottom line, we have the power and can make the conversation about the these shields happen. But, be sure to still get the mammogram imaging done. It's about OUR right to control our care. We need to create an environment where patients have the right to ask the questions. If WE don't ask the questions, nothing will change, but we need to have the power to ask about OUR care.

Lastly, I'm not a doctor so understand that this is in no way, shape or form to tell anyone what they SHOULD be doing, but I'm just putting this out there for edcuational purposes.

To learn more about it, I'm attaching the link.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/thyroid-guards-do-you-need-one-pt-1?hs317=billboard_1

Be well and be sure to take good care of yourselves.

Best,

Scorp

suebee
04-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Not something I'd heard of before, but seems to make sense. Thanks for starting the thread!