PDA

View Full Version : Everybody's Free (To Wear Sunscreen)

tantalizingfemme
05-24-2011, 05:42 PM
Okay, I need help!

I have had issues with skin cancer (squamous cell carcinoma) and am trying my best to use uva/uvb sunblock everyday, even in the winter. My dilemma is, I don't like using the lotion with sunblock in it (I need a higher SPF than most have), and I definitely wouldn't use body lotion on my face.

I have tried to put sunblock on first, and once it is absorbed, put my face and body lotion lotion on but.....

The lotions usually don't blend well and the top layer of lotion will rub off or get gummy. (If that makes sense) Also, it all feels so heavy and gross on my skin, especially when it is really humid.

Does anyone have any advice?? Product suggestions??

Thanks,
TF

The_Lady_Snow
05-24-2011, 05:46 PM
MAC makes a make up with an SPF of 50. Neutrogena is good for the rest of the body not so sunscreen smelly.

tantalizingfemme
05-24-2011, 05:57 PM
MAC makes a make up with an SPF of 50. Neutrogena is good for the rest of the body not so sunscreen smelly.

Thanks for the MAC tip! I am assuming it is both uva/uvb? And the sunscreen smell is definitely only for off work hours. I have found that some of the lotions with spf are a little heavier than regular lotions and that is where my problem is; it makes me feel sweaty all day long.

Daywalker
05-24-2011, 05:58 PM
:nothingtoadd:

:smokejoint:

:daywalker:

Maria
05-24-2011, 05:58 PM
La Roche-Posay Anthelios SPF 60 Ultra-Light Sunscreen for Face. There are others in the same line for body.

It quickly dries matte, not shiny, and it's great for sensitive skin.

Daywalker
05-24-2011, 06:02 PM

Wait.
:|

I feel bad.

So this is what I have to Add.
:cheesy:

sTJ7AzBIJoI

"...be kind to your knees, you'll miss those when they're gone"

durrrrrrrr
05-24-2011, 06:02 PM
my dermatologist recommended Neutrogena. but told me to make sure i got the helioplex. I have had skin cancer before and that is what she recommended for me to use. I use the 100+. It's expensive for that 3 little oz, but it works for me and I am in the sun all day long, all year long.

http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.Drugstore.com/prodimg/222249/200.JPG

Andrew, Jr.
05-24-2011, 06:05 PM
My sister died of skin cancer about 3 years ago. I would recommend going to the NIH website and looking at the products they recommend. She had the same problem as you stated. Use the sunscreen! I wish you only the best.

tantalizingfemme
05-24-2011, 06:12 PM

Awww, I was waiting for a hemp sunblock suggestion, Daywalker.

tantalizingfemme
05-24-2011, 06:23 PM
Thanks Maria, Durrrrrrrr, and Andrew. I will definitely check all of those out!

Maria, I definitely like that it dries matte, and is for sensitive skin. I already have a naturally "dewy" glow, and greasy sunscreen makes it worse.

Durr, do you find that you still burn, even with the sunscreen? I find that even with sunscreen on, I start to burn if I have been in the sun for as little as thirty minutes.

Andrew, I am so sorry to hear about your sister! I was a tanning bed addict for years in the early nineties and used only baby oil in my teens and early twenties. I have learned my lesson and try to take any precautions.

atomiczombie
05-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Have you heard about Rit Sun guard laundry treatment? You can wash sunscreen into your clothing and it won't change the colors of your clothes. Pretty cool. Here;s the link on Amazon:

Amazon.com: Rit Sun Guard Laundry Treatment UV Protectant - six 1 oz packets: Beauty

Toughy
05-24-2011, 07:44 PM
All you folks putting that sunscreen on..............

Your body needs the sun to make Vitamin D..........you don't get that when you wear/use sunscreen...........

so..........................everybody should probably be taking a Vit D and Calcium supplement...if you have the insurance get you doc to order a Vit D level and see where you stand..........it's a really important vitamin for good health

Vit D Fact Sheet: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD/

Blade
05-24-2011, 08:31 PM
tThere is a company called Melaleuca. You can find them online and find someone near you that sells it. Anyway they use all natural products and the sunscreen and the lip balm are the bomb. Anywhere you put it, it will leave a white streak. LOL no really, I used it first on the kids and just put it on their cheekbones and ear tips and they looked like raccoons, when they came off the lake. It's really good stuff. I really liked all of the Melaleuca stuff I used over the years.

Kenna
05-24-2011, 09:38 PM
All you folks putting that sunscreen on..............

Your body needs the sun to make Vitamin D..........you don't get that when you wear/use sunscreen...........

so..........................everybody should probably be taking a Vit D and Calcium supplement...if you have the insurance get you doc to order a Vit D level and see where you stand..........it's a really important vitamin for good health

Vit D Fact Sheet: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD/

Thank you, Toughy.

Having advanced Lupus, I am very sensitive to the sun (one doctor even told me I am "allergic to the sun"...my mother has suffered the same for years) and it takes VERY little for me to get burned or over heated (just walking through the parking lot to my car can do it).... I'm not just "fair skinned", too much sun will give me blisters like sun poisoning, the skin under a sunburn does not develop or heal correctly and often stays raw for days after pealing... and my nerve endings feel like fire-ants crawling under my skin...too much sun, sometimes all it takes is 10 or 15 minutes, sets off a major pain response and then leads to other issues like joints being seriously inflamed and painful. However, my last comprehensive Lupus tests showed a MAJOR Vitamin D deficiency.

It's hard to juggle both problems.... I LOVE being outside soaking up the sun, especially while working the garden... but when I get too much, I am often house-bound for a long, painful, exhausting recovery.

My roomie often gets after me for NOT wearing sunscreen. In reference to the Lupus; I'm still in denial that it's limiting my abilities to do things and live life without certain inconveniences... plus, because of the Lupus, I have developed allergies to many topical products that have artificial coloring.

I'm between a rock and a hard, painful place.... I need sunscreen, yet I seriously need to do something about the Vit D issue.

Sadly, many health insurance companies and Medical Assistance Programs are "closing down" or canceling payment for Vit D and other supplements... North Carolina Medical Assistance only allows for Vit D injections if the person is in Renal Failure.

CherryFemme
05-24-2011, 09:44 PM
my dermatologist recommended Neutrogena. but told me to make sure i got the helioplex. I have had skin cancer before and that is what she recommended for me to use. I use the 100+. It's expensive for that 3 little oz, but it works for me and I am in the sun all day long, all year long.

http://a1468.g.akamai.net/f/1468/580/1d/pics.Drugstore.com/prodimg/222249/200.JPG

Yup... I use this one too-- everyday. ~CF

Toughy
05-24-2011, 10:16 PM
I would suggest you look at some of the internet wholesale supplements/vitamin sites. I use one and it's really a lot lot cheaper....my joint supplements are half the retail price, sometimes 2/3 the price. I can get VitD/Ca for less than a $8.00 co-pay for a month supply.

I use wholesalesupplementstore.com ..........there are plenty of others.

Quintease
05-25-2011, 07:45 AM
Just use sunscreen without the lotion. I don't like greasy skin so I always either wear a good quality sunscreen lotion, or a high factor sunscreen on it's own.

durrrrrrrr
05-25-2011, 04:50 PM
Thanks Maria, Durrrrrrrr, and Andrew. I will definitely check all of those out!

Durr, do you find that you still burn, even with the sunscreen? I find that even with sunscreen on, I start to burn if I have been in the sun for as little as thirty minutes.

for me, no i don't burn. sometimes ppl can tell if i missed a spot while applying this on. on a regular work day ( 8 hrs ) i apply it first thing in the morning. if its a long 12 hour day, I put it on twice.

Andrew, Jr.
06-11-2011, 08:41 AM
I heard on last night's World News with Diane Sawyer that there is a new drug out on the market for skin cancer patients. I didn't catch the name of it. However, it is making a wave with those who are terminally ill (cancer). I sure hope it saves some lives. That is my one wish.

Dominique
06-11-2011, 09:15 AM

This is what was recomended to me, yes with heloplex (sp) typing on phone.....I have had 4 melanoma's (nothing advanced, touch wood) one spot, the worse one, was in my bikini line and it never saw sun. I wear the 30, i wear it as a moisturizer and I have a nice tan. As is the case in all sun screens, you have to reapply if in water or perspiring.

I also lune tan in the can, but that has zero sunscreen.

Talon
04-17-2012, 11:14 AM
[QUOTE=tantalizingfemme;345355]Okay, I need help!

I have had issues with skin cancer (squamous cell carcinoma) and am trying my best to use uva/uvb sunblock everyday, even in the winter. My dilemma is, I don't like using the lotion with sunblock in it (I need a higher SPF than most have), and I definitely wouldn't use body lotion on my face.

I have tried to put sunblock on first, and once it is absorbed, put my face and body lotion lotion on but.....

The lotions usually don't blend well and the top layer of lotion will rub off or get gummy. (If that makes sense) Also, it all feels so heavy and gross on my skin, especially when it is really humid.

Does anyone have any advice?? Product suggestions??

I had this problem for years trying to find an "invisible" sunblock that would go under makeup without the greasiness or irritation, and I finally found one I absolutely love. It's made by Neutrogena, so it's easily accessible where ever you live. It literally disappears under other products.
It's Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid daily sun protection spf55.