PDA

View Full Version : Cycling - a chat about all things bike.

Daktari
06-27-2011, 07:44 AM
Hey there folks. I was wondering if there were any other cyclists here?

Do you ride for fitness, transport or leisure? What bike(s) do you ride? Have you ridden all your life or come to it later in life?

I've been a cyclist most of my life. I took my Cycling Proficiency Test a year early, aged 8yrs old, at school and then took it again at the proper age a year later (this was the early 70s, I have no idea if kids take a similar test anymore). I cycled everywhere for many years, riding everything from cheap Shopper bikes and olde stylee ladies Raleighs through to ancient Moultons and prototype 'bents. Then, about 13yrs ago, I just stopped cycling regularly. My lovely KHS true temper hard tail (and nose) mountain bike was stolen, despite being locked to several other bikes in the garden, leaving me with no functioning bike.

Since giving up smoking last April I've been trying to keep the 50% lung function I have in as good a condition as I can by cycling again. I love that around here we have a wonderfully long National Cycle Route that ranges all through the county.

What are your favourite routes to ride? Do you keep training diaries? Are mph and cadence important to you or do you just ride regardless of the figures?

Linus
06-27-2011, 09:20 AM
I've historical done long distance cycling rides (touring). It's been a while since I last did some riding (largely because of work travel). I'm hoping/planning to do a tour from Vancouver, B.C., to Los Angeles next year but may have to post-pone it by a year due to training requirements.

I'm not big on mph/cadence but do understand the importance of it, particularly cadence.

Daktari
06-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Hey Linus...Vancouver to L.A sounds like an epic tour, I hope you get the time to put in enough training to do it next year. I'd love to get fit enough to do our CtC (coast to coast) or LEJOG (Land's End, John O'Groats - furthest south in England to Scotland)

I have yet to even care about speed and average this 'n' that but for the first time in my cycling career I'm thinking about cadence.

What tourer do you ride Linus?

Happy pedaling fellow pedalers.

Linus
06-27-2011, 10:12 AM
Hey Linus...Vancouver to L.A sounds like an epic tour, I hope you get the time to put in enough training to do it next year. I'd love to get fit enough to do our CtC (coast to coast) or LEJOG (Land's End, John O'Groats - furthest south in England to Scotland)

I have yet to even care about speed and average this 'n' that but for the first time in my cycling career I'm thinking about cadence.

What tourer do you ride Linus?

Happy pedaling fellow pedalers.

Oh.. I'd love to do LEJOG. That'd be cool.

I have a custom Gunnar Rock Tour that I got about 6 years ago. I also have a beater Mountain Bike that I had switched from geared to singlespeed. When I lived in Canada, I used to use this bike for winter riding and some training. I'm thinking of getting a Surly or Gunnar fixie or singlespeed for training purposes.

What about you? What do you use for training and/or touring?

Daktari
06-27-2011, 10:37 AM
Wow! Cool bikes there Linus. You're lucky to have custom velos. Sadly I have just the one ridable velo (there are two Moultons in the shed that have become restoration projects for someone who knows what they're doing and that ain't me!) I recently acquired Lady Haydock (yes I'm sad/mad enough to name my bikes :-)) She's a mid 80s Roger Haydock built, (for the woman I bought her from who is very similar dimensions to myself), Reynolds 531 tubed Touring geometry frame, 27in Mavic touring rims with a Campag Brevet drive...a very nice bit of kit and quite the best bike I've ever owned despite her being a lady of a certain age! She rolls beautifully and I've totally fallen back in love with cycling because of her.

I'm determined to do a supported Jogle/Lejog in the next couple of years for Breast cancer and respiratory disease charities.

I'd love a singlespeed hack for the winter here at the rainy, salty seaside. Do you ride yours much?

Linus
06-27-2011, 10:49 AM
I haven't been riding as much of late due to recovery from surgery. I have a few more weeks of recovery and some work travel to do before I can start up again. I'm hoping by mid-July that I can begin running and cycling again. I have plans for at least one century to do L.A. to San Diego and then a return century.

I don't have to worry about snow, salt and sleet like I had before in Canada, it's the nice advantage of living here now compared to Toronto. :)

Daktari
06-27-2011, 03:29 PM
I haven't been riding as much of late due to recovery from surgery. I have a few more weeks of recovery and some work travel to do before I can start up again. I'm hoping by mid-July that I can begin running and cycling again. I have plans for at least one century to do L.A. to San Diego and then a return century.

I don't have to worry about snow, salt and sleet like I had before in Canada, it's the nice advantage of living here now compared to Toronto. :)

Course! ...forgot you'd had surgery. I hope you can ride again soon.

Ooooh I so want to do a century. Probably a solo century. One day I will, as long as it a flat century...the old lungs don't do hills, let alone inclines, any more. To be fair I'd be happy with a 50 miler before the winter sets in.

I'd love to live somewhere where cycling is a joy most days due to good weather. Over here at the northern seaside it's pretty cold, wet and windy ...or any combination of those at any given time along with a little tantalising sun.

Linus
06-27-2011, 03:36 PM
Course! ...forgot you'd had surgery. I hope you can ride again soon.

Ooooh I so want to do a century. Probably a solo century. One day I will, as long as it a flat century...the old lungs don't do hills, let alone inclines, any more. To be fair I'd be happy with a 50 miler before the winter sets in.

I'd love to live somewhere where cycling is a joy most days due to good weather. Over here at the northern seaside it's pretty cold, wet and windy ...or any combination of those at any given time along with a little tantalising sun.

LOL.. Biking in Canada was no easy feat (although it was mostly to and from work in the winter months). But ya, it's easier when the weather is nicer. And I prefer solo centuries and tours in general as it allows me to decide how much, how long and when to stop.

Dominique
06-27-2011, 03:49 PM
Rubbing my hands together and squealing. I just rode my bicycle home from work. I have lots of bicycles. As a teenager, I rode a sears free spirit, at the time, that was a decent bicycle. I think it was 10 speed. I took very good care of that bike and had it for years. But things do wear out. In one of my *rounds* of college days, I bought a Kmart Husky bike. The frame, as I recall, was heavy. It was 24 inches. I think that was the best $65 dollars I ever spent. I did things to it, to make it more user friendly, but rode it to death. Well, actually not to death, my brother fixed it all up and donated it someone who didn't have a bicycle. This would be about the time I started to understand I really liked bicycles. I bought a Specialized rock hopper. They built it at the bike shop from the frame up. The frame was 17''. (I was like, is this for a little kid?) I had so much to learn! OMG, that bike was so light compared my Kmart bike. I had the handlebars raised a little and didn't quite have mountain bike tires and rims put on it, think all season, all terrain. Then I learned about the importance of peddles. Anyhow, my learning curve took off with my love of this bicycle. I rode it in my first triathlon. (It was like having snow tires on, they could hear me coming) I still have this bike, and I still ride it. Love specialized. I also bought a specialized RAAM racing bike. I had an accident with it last summer. I was *training* around town, in traffic~just not smart~ and I fell. This is where I should start talking about why you should wear good gloves and a helmet, but won't....we've all fallen I'm sure. The bike survived pretty good. It is now hooked to a cyclops and my racing days may be over. I also have what I call my FEMME bike. It is a cargo bike.
I am forced to sit up like a lady, no more hanging out over the handlebars, it has a big basket on the front equipped with NICE lights and a horn, two mirrors. I admit, it's so old lady (think retirement village) even a wide seat
and I love that seat as I have no ass. Very comfortable. I no longer care what I look like riding this thing, it's the most comfortable bike I've ever owned. I have also learned to just ride, no more speed racer. I ride by things now, and actually see them! It's so uncool, I don't worry it's going to be stolen. I can remember removing my seat from other bicycles and taking it with me. Its a shame, it took me falling and getting banged up, to wise up. But I ride, and I ride alot. nine and a half month to 10 months out of the year. I don't know how to work on them. I can put a chain back on if it falls off. I just found out i was doing harm using WD-40 on the chain.....
I should be using sewing machine oil.

Sorry, got carried away.

Daktari
06-27-2011, 03:58 PM
LOL.. Biking in Canada was no easy feat (although it was mostly to and from work in the winter months). But ya, it's easier when the weather is nicer. And I prefer solo centuries and tours in general as it allows me to decide how much, how long and when to stop.

I like the idea of the solitude and thinking time of a solo century or tour. Like you say there's an autonomy about it...you decide when, where and how. I mainly ride solo but I do love riding with a crowd. I do Sky Rides here in the summer.

http://www.goskyride.com/

Daktari
07-03-2011, 07:09 AM
Rubbing my hands together and squealing. I just rode my bicycle home from work. I have lots of bicycles. As a teenager, I rode a sears free spirit, at the time, that was a decent bicycle. I think it was 10 speed. I took very good care of that bike and had it for years. But things do wear out. In one of my *rounds* of college days, I bought a Kmart Husky bike. The frame, as I recall, was heavy. It was 24 inches. I think that was the best $65 dollars I ever spent. I did things to it, to make it more user friendly, but rode it to death. Well, actually not to death, my brother fixed it all up and donated it someone who didn't have a bicycle. This would be about the time I started to understand I really liked bicycles. I bought a Specialized rock hopper. They built it at the bike shop from the frame up. The frame was 17''. (I was like, is this for a little kid?) I had so much to learn! OMG, that bike was so light compared my Kmart bike. I had the handlebars raised a little and didn't quite have mountain bike tires and rims put on it, think all season, all terrain. Then I learned about the importance of peddles. Anyhow, my learning curve took off with my love of this bicycle. I rode it in my first triathlon. (It was like having snow tires on, they could hear me coming) I still have this bike, and I still ride it. Love specialized. I also bought a specialized RAAM racing bike. I had an accident with it last summer. I was *training* around town, in traffic~just not smart~ and I fell. This is where I should start talking about why you should wear good gloves and a helmet, but won't....we've all fallen I'm sure. The bike survived pretty good. It is now hooked to a cyclops and my racing days may be over. I also have what I call my FEMME bike. It is a cargo bike.
I am forced to sit up like a lady, no more hanging out over the handlebars, it has a big basket on the front equipped with NICE lights and a horn, two mirrors. I admit, it's so old lady (think retirement village) even a wide seat
and I love that seat as I have no ass. Very comfortable. I no longer care what I look like riding this thing, it's the most comfortable bike I've ever owned. I have also learned to just ride, no more speed racer. I ride by things now, and actually see them! It's so uncool, I don't worry it's going to be stolen. I can remember removing my seat from other bicycles and taking it with me. Its a shame, it took me falling and getting banged up, to wise up. But I ride, and I ride alot. nine and a half month to 10 months out of the year. I don't know how to work on them. I can put a chain back on if it falls off. I just found out i was doing harm using WD-40 on the chain.....
I should be using sewing machine oil.

Sorry, got carried away.

Hey there Yellow band, sorry I missed your post before now. Like you I've had many bikes over the years. From cheap Peugeot racers through to seriously expensive mountain bikes. I also rode recumbents for years due to a friend owning a recumbent bike workshop. I used to ride for him and hand out advertising.

Sorry to hear about your accident but real glad to hear you're in the (comfy) saddle again. Like you I've given up caring what I look like on my bike and went for a laid back tourer instead of something properly sporty. My lungs and joints don't do 'sporty' anymore sadly.

Y'know, I've never felt the need to wear a helmet in the nearly 40yrs I've been riding but since coming back after a decade or so out of the saddle I'm starting to think it might be a good idea. There are so many more 'numpties' on the roads than there ever has been. I'm very confident in my own abilities on the road but decidedly not confident about other road users abilities anymore.

By the Goddess! I'm so stoked. I've cycled further than I've cycled for many years this week. I'm not hooked on numbers so I work out my mileage by google maps or MapMyRide rather than have a cycle computer - I'm sorely tempted to get one though but fear I'll become bound up in the figures instead of just enjoying riding.
I managed a 25mile round trip to go play with my 4yr old nephew yesterday with the 15 return miles against a head wind too. Added to the 20 miles I did the other day and the couple of 10s and another couple of 5s I've done this week it's quite a respectable weekly total (for me).

Thankfully I have a new saddle on the way because the one I'm using is so darned uncomfortable that I finish every ride sore and numb despite wearing cycle shorts. No amount of miles is going to change how uncomfortable that saddle is as has been suggested on the cycling forum I use most. I'm looking forward to trying the Bontrager Evoke R that I won the bidding for on ebay yesterday. I checked the model out at my LBS and they were selling it for £40 but I got it for £7.50 (new, not used), what a result. If it's not the saddle for me and my skinny ass, I can afford to give it to someone who it does suit.

Hah, like you I don't know about bike maintenance but want to learn a little now. I'd like to be able to take the chain off for cleaning and know how to adjust front and rear mechs should they need. Just basic stuff yanno. I recently heard how bad DW40 is for our kit too :doh:

NJFemmie
07-03-2011, 07:20 AM
I used to .. many moons ago. I had a really nice Panasonic 12 speed racing bike - fire engine red, Shimano throughout. I am thinking about maybe "getting back on the saddle" again, but not to race or go long distance. My reality is I'm a bit too old for that kind of excitement again. ;)

Daktari
07-03-2011, 07:38 AM
I used to .. many moons ago. I had a really nice Panasonic 12 speed racing bike - fire engine red, Shimano throughout. I am thinking about maybe "getting back on the saddle" again, but not to race or go long distance. My reality is I'm a bit too old for that kind of excitement again. ;)

You're never too old NJFemmie, I know quite a number of racers and speed junkies who're well into their retirements. I quite understand though, I'll never be a speed king again. :cheesy:

Do it, just get back in the saddle. Do you have any good trails near you? Does the U.S have anything like we have here with Sustrans http://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-do/national-cycle-network, it's a National network of off-road - not rough off road but just away from traffic - cycle paths and trails. I'm real lucky in that I have loads of miles of National cycle route 62 right on my doorstep - well 5minutes up the road to the sea front.

Keep us posted on your getting-back-in-the-saddle progress.

Happy pedaling

and with that I'm off out for a ride :bicycle:

Diavolo
07-03-2011, 07:40 AM
You can't even imagine my delight to look at the new posts and see a thread about cycling! YEA!

I've been cycling for about 5 years now. I started out on a hybrid but that only lasted about a year and a half before I went out and got a road bike.

Me and my road bike just finished the AIDS/Lifecycle from San Francisco to Los Angeles. An absolutely amazing event that I would recommend to anyone who loves cycling.

I learned so much about myself and my bike on that trip. I'm already training for next year.

I ride three to four times a week depending on my schedule, a long ride on Saturday morning (currently climbing Mt. Diablo for time) a recovery ride on Sunday morning, flat on Tuesday, hills on Thursday.

NJFemmie
07-03-2011, 07:46 AM
You're never too old NJFemmie, I know quite a number of racers and speed junkies who're well into their retirements. I quite understand though, I'll never be a speed king again. :cheesy:

Do it, just get back in the saddle. Do you have any good trails near you? Does the U.S have anything like we have here with Sustrans http://www.sustrans.org.uk/what-we-do/national-cycle-network, it's a National network of off-road - not rough off road but just away from traffic - cycle paths and trails. I'm real lucky in that I have loads of miles of National cycle route 62 right on my doorstep - well 5minutes up the road to the sea front.

Keep us posted on your getting-back-in-the-saddle progress.

Happy pedaling
and with that I'm off out for a ride :bicycle:

We have some decent bike trails here - but I haven't really researched what's here yet in terms of cycling. I most definitely want to get back to riding - it was something I enjoyed to get out of my head for a while, while keeping myself in shape.

I no longer have my Panasonic, but Mare does have a bike that I plan on tuning up and making road bound. I may just even get myself another (lighter) bike.

Enjoy that ride :)

Daktari
07-04-2011, 11:50 AM
You can't even imagine my delight to look at the new posts and see a thread about cycling! YEA!

I've been cycling for about 5 years now. I started out on a hybrid but that only lasted about a year and a half before I went out and got a road bike.

Me and my road bike just finished the AIDS/Lifecycle from San Francisco to Los Angeles. An absolutely amazing event that I would recommend to anyone who loves cycling.

I learned so much about myself and my bike on that trip. I'm already training for next year.

I ride three to four times a week depending on my schedule, a long ride on Saturday morning (currently climbing Mt. Diablo for time) a recovery ride on Sunday morning, flat on Tuesday, hills on Thursday.

Welcome to the cycling thread Diavolo, the more the merrier as they say :chaplin:

Wow! SF to LA, that must have been a great ride...do you have any pictures? I hope you enjoy next years ride as much as you seem to have this year.

Go you riding a mountain for training, my lung disease means no more mountains for me sadly, although back in the day it was the very 'lumpy bumpy' Lake District and Cumbria that was my training ground....on notoriously un-lump friendly recumbents too!

We have some decent bike trails here - but I haven't really researched what's here yet in terms of cycling. I most definitely want to get back to riding - it was something I enjoyed to get out of my head for a while, while keeping myself in shape.

I no longer have my Panasonic, but Mare does have a bike that I plan on tuning up and making road bound. I may just even get myself another (lighter) bike.

Enjoy that ride :)

Any bike is better than no bike at all. I look forward to hearing about your first rides back in the saddle.

I'm having a day off. After doing 10-12 yesterday I realised how sore my knees were from the 25 the day before so all I've done today is a round trip to the out of town supermarket - my bike is necessary transport as well as a leisure activity.

It was a gorgeous day yesterday
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/IMG_0164.jpg

Rockinonahigh
07-04-2011, 06:43 PM
I would love ro bike again,but I cant find anything that will work with my chubby body.I tryed a mountain bike but wasnt a good fit it was to short in length and the seat was a killer with my sictaica probs my left leg was going numb as was my tail bone,I even tryed isting diffrently..still looking though.I may have to just buy a regular old cruiser type bike with a big seat.I ride a sttionary bike at the health club,but would really like to get out and ride.We have a bkieing club hear that dose several rides a year..looks like a lot of fun.

Daktari
07-05-2011, 06:40 AM
I would love ro bike again,but I cant find anything that will work with my chubby body.I tryed a mountain bike but wasnt a good fit it was to short in length and the seat was a killer with my sictaica probs my left leg was going numb as was my tail bone,I even tryed isting diffrently..still looking though.I may have to just buy a regular old cruiser type bike with a big seat.I ride a sttionary bike at the health club,but would really like to get out and ride.We have a bkieing club hear that dose several rides a year..looks like a lot of fun.

Hey Rockinonahigh...I'm sure you'll find something that's comfortable to ride. Don't worry about saddles, they're easy to come by, especially the big fat gel leisure ones. There's no shame in riding a 'regular old cruiser'...it's still a bike and it really doesn't matter what you ride just so long as you're out and about and getting some fresh air and exercise. Have you looked on Craigs List or some such?

Yah Boo! It's rotten weather today so I'm not going to get many miles in unless the weather breaks. I'll take a short 2 and half mile hop to go see a mate for a brew and that's about it.

Dominique
07-05-2011, 04:32 PM
Two of my friends from the Cleveland area have NICE bikes, and they are made for (using your words) Chubby folks.

I typed in bicycles for chubby people into the browser and 6 sites came up. I think this will be easy for you.

Linus
07-05-2011, 11:48 PM
Two of my friends from the Cleveland area have NICE bikes, and they are made for (using your words) Chubby folks.

I typed in bicycles for chubby people into the browser and 6 sites came up. I think this will be easy for you.

The term "Clydesdales" (men) and "Athena" (women) riders refers to heavier riders. These are bikes that are meant for riders that are well above the 250lb rider. Adding those terms in my result in a few more hits. :)

imperfect_cupcake
07-06-2011, 12:45 AM
I cycle to work and back. In london, it was the only reasonable way to get around if you don't live near a tube station or if you didn't feel like spending massive amounts of money on the tube (expensive mode of transport). I also used to cycle to uni in vancouver, toronto and victoria. I gave up my car many years ago as I found I loved cycling much much more.

In Oxford, everything is so close, it's ridiculous to not cycle. I can cyle from one side of oxford to the other in about 40 minutes at the very most. I could cycle to work (by oxford airport about 7 miles away) as it's only about 45 minutes but I was working from home for a few months and I need to work my way back up to it again. Right now I do about 5 miles to work and then hop the bus.

I don't have the best bike so I'm not sure how much it's going to take, but as parts expire I get them replaced with better quality bits.

I can't cycle without a wide, plushy female seat. I get hideous ingrown hairs and swollen, sore glands in my crotch.

I have bursitis so if the seat isn't up high enough (re: I can juuuuust barely touch the ground with the very tip of my toes) it gets inflamed. If I have to stop I just hop forward and keep one foot on the pedal, one on the ground with the bar between my legs. Once it's ok to go again I push my foot down on the pedal, which moved the bike forward and gives me a lift back onto my seat.

Dominique
07-06-2011, 04:19 AM
My thought for the morning, as soon I will be getting on my bicycle to go to work......why did we, for all those years, ride on that silly wedge thing they called a seat? I think I did alot of standing. CRAZY! Be comfortable.

If this wide seat concept starts to catch on, I will once again have a quick release on my seat post and start taking my seat with me,,,,lol

imperfect_cupcake
07-06-2011, 11:59 AM
ugh. Not a fan of quick release anything. I'd rather lock my tires to the bike with small U locks (london necessity or they would be gone when you got back to your bike whether they were quick release or not!). But I can't ever get the quick release tight enough to not slowly push the bar into my bike as I sit on it. Probably because of my fat arse. So it's a super tight bolt. Best thing to do in london (but outside london I never had a problem with people stealing my seats) was to put a few pieces of duct tape across a new seat to make it look like it's been torn and repaired with tape. Cover seat with plastic bag and tie handles (like a cheap rain hat) when not on it. It means people have to a) remove the crappy plastic bag (and generally people with money don't cover their seats with plastic bags) and b) seat is obviously damaged due to duct tape over it.

only way I managed to not get my seat stolen. But it did work!

Daktari
07-06-2011, 01:38 PM
I loved cycling in Oxford honeybarbara. Although I did only do it for a fortnight whilst on the oddest visit to a person I've ever had but that's a whole other story. :blink: It tickled me to cycle past where Roger Bannister ran the first 4 minute mile.

My wheels are quick release but I've bound the levers to the forks with multiple zip ties until I can afford locking skewers. I carry a plastic back between the rails of my saddle for such wet weather service as you mention honeybarbarbara.

Yellow band, I can't cycle with a wide saddle, they're uncomfortable for my for skinny arse and apparently quite narrow sit bones. I'm hoping that the new (rather much more) narrow saddle will do the trick.

Meeep! I think I did a few too many miles last week and should have built up a little more gently to the 25 miler. My arthritic hips and knees have rebelled so have just been doing some more gentle 5's and a 10 tonight but it was at the limit of what my sore joints could cope with. Live and learn, live and learn.

Happy pedaling :bicycle:

Dominique
07-06-2011, 04:34 PM
Well, let me say....a wide seat is different things to different people.

The seats my *chubby* friends have on their bikes, I couldn't use.

I have no ass at all. And I can not ride on that wedge. But I found a seat that is a seat, it's bigger than the wedge (and any gel seat i've ever had....)just like anything, one must shop around.

Daktari
07-06-2011, 05:45 PM

I have no ass at all. And I can not ride on that wedge. But I found a seat that is a seat, it's bigger than the wedge (and any gel seat i've ever had....)just like anything, one must shop around.

To be fair, I can't ride the racing 'wedges' either. It's saddle issues that are causing me all sorts of problems at the moment. I'm just hoping that my new saddle turns up in the next day or so then I can give it a go. I've lowered my (riser) handlebars tonight and definitely need to go get a shorter stem with a somewhat longer reach. I think half my saddle problems are because I'm a lot more upright than I'm used to being. My bikes for years have all been a bit too big and therefore I'm used to be being relatively stretched out instead of right on my arse. I prefer the sportier stretched outness so a new stem is gonna happen in the next month.

Daktari
07-06-2011, 05:58 PM

To be fair, I can't ride the racing 'wedges' either. It's saddle issues that are causing me all sorts of problems at the moment. I'm just hoping that my new saddle (and cycle shorts) turns up in the next day or so then I can give it a go. I've lowered my (riser) handlebars tonight and definitely need to go get a shorter stem with a somewhat longer reach. I think half my saddle problems are because I'm a lot more upright than I'm used to being. My bikes for nigh on 30 years have all been a bit too big and therefore I'm used to be being relatively stretched out instead of right on my arse. I prefer the sportier stretched outness so a new stem is gonna happen in the next month.

Andrew, Jr.
07-07-2011, 07:21 PM
I have to start exercising more. I love to ride my bike, but unfortunately I was forced to sell it several years ago. I had a Schwin. It was such a wonderful bike. I am a big guy, and biking is hard on my knees, and hips. This bike was perfect for me. It hit me just right. It was actually a boys size bike since I am short 5'4". So now, I am in the market searching for a bike to ride around the neighborhood, and on bike trails. Any suggestions?

TickledPink
07-07-2011, 07:56 PM
We are watching Le Tour de France as I type! I love cycling and found it to be quite addictive (thanks, Papa)! It can also be VERY expensive! :seeingstars:

I love to ride. There's nothing like it. I HATE hills. They are quite a challenge to me but I am gonna' keep trying cos Tennessee is full of them!

We have a room full of bikes! I love to go in there and just feel their energy......ahhhhhh

My favorite is the one Papa bought for me: a Trek Lexa C. Her name is Cheetah and she is a sweet ride! I had the pleasure of riding her in my first-ever triathlon in May. WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Great thread! Thanks!

DapperButch
07-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Mountain biker here! Cannondale lover.

Scorp
07-07-2011, 08:51 PM
Hi Ticks!

I thought I recognized you!!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cLiCX3tL1Os/SjrL4pJC1pI/AAAAAAAAACs/1xEUWXOD1RU/s320/gulch.jpg

:p

Linus
07-07-2011, 09:29 PM
Mountain biker here! Cannondale lover.

*sob* I remember when my Cannondale got stolen! :(

In good news, however, I got my company's bike gear kit today (vest, jersey and shorts!)

I'll post pics when I get a chance but it's cool to have a company that is supportive of all types of activity (bicycling and running are the two top ones) and enough to allow logo/designs to appear on gear. :cheesy:

Diavolo
07-07-2011, 10:52 PM
To be fair, I can't ride the racing 'wedges' either. It's saddle issues that are causing me all sorts of problems at the moment. I'm just hoping that my new saddle (and cycle shorts) turns up in the next day or so then I can give it a go. I've lowered my (riser) handlebars tonight and definitely need to go get a shorter stem with a somewhat longer reach. I think half my saddle problems are because I'm a lot more upright than I'm used to being. My bikes for nigh on 30 years have all been a bit too big and therefore I'm used to be being relatively stretched out instead of right on my arse. I prefer the sportier stretched outness so a new stem is gonna happen in the next month.

One of the big problems on the AIDS ride is saddle sores. It stopped me at 61 miles one day. Later in the ride one of the other riders suggested I have the seat "fitted". Apparently they have you sit on a gel mold thing that allows them to see the width of your sit bones and fit your seat according to that measurement. It made sense to me. As soon as I have a few extra bucks in my pocket I'm going to have it done.

imperfect_cupcake
07-08-2011, 01:03 AM
Incubus, I'm the opposite. when I cycle in amsterdam (where my in laws are and we visit 3-4 times a year. they always give us their guest bikes so we can get around) I'm *always* impressed with how much easier it is on my body, those dutch bikes. I'm used to hunched over, pressure on my wrists, light weight quasi mountain bikes (city bikes). I do see people with dutch bikes in the UK and yeah, they look nice, yeah, they are Huuuuuge (for the tall and well built nordics), but they are impractical for any place that has a slight hill.

But jesus those things are comfortable for me. built like you could drive it into a wall several times, wheel locks, massive wheel base, completely covered to protect good clothing, high off the ground and wide seats for my ass and completely upright. I get no swollen bursitis pains, no saddle chafing, no sore wrists.

I *can* cycle to work, but I can't take the saddle sores (even with a moderately wide seat) and the aching wrists. So I have to work up to it.

I do love cycling in Oxford in many ways - cycling through all of the universities in the morning is lovely. All the side streets and many bikes... when it's sunny the gold gleaming of the sandstone buildings... but the thing I do not like is the people who drive in from the surrounding villages to work and back and their inability to drive *with* bikes. In London that was a good thing - people didn't crowd you. I was near suicidal on my bike and very gladitorial - I often zipped between double deckers, darted in and out of traffic and got very aggressive with people who didn't give me space.

here... even though it has a MASSIVE demographic of bike users, people seem to turn stupid about what a fucking bike lane is. it seems to mean, "pull into it when you want to turn that way or if you have a new car or are very intimidated about traffic getting too close to you."

I used to have an air horn on my bike - I may return to this for those cars.

Best thing about biking in Oxford - cycling home along the river, on the gravel pathways, after a couple of pints at the gay bar. Totally dark. In places can't see a thing. I find this amusing and slightly thrilling. I remember cycling on the gulf islands at night when visiting friends and camping - the same thrill of cycling in the complete dark...

Dominique
07-08-2011, 03:19 AM
Hi Ticks!

I thought I recognized you!!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_cLiCX3tL1Os/SjrL4pJC1pI/AAAAAAAAACs/1xEUWXOD1RU/s320/gulch.jpg

:p

Add two mirrors and a *top case* in the back and that will look very similar to my femme bike!

Dominique
07-08-2011, 04:56 AM
This is from bicycling magazine.....a slide show or Tour de France

http://ow.ly/5zsKh

Dominique
07-08-2011, 05:17 AM
people seem to turn stupid about what a fucking bike lane is. it seems to mean, "pull into it when you want to turn that way or if you have a new car or are very intimidated about traffic getting too close to you."

I used to have an air horn on my bike - I may return to this for those cars.

Best thing about biking in Oxford - cycling home along the river, on the gravel pathways, after a couple of pints at the gay bar. Totally dark. In places can't see a thing. I find this amusing and slightly thrilling. I remember cycling on the gulf islands at night when visiting friends and camping - the same thrill of cycling in the complete dark...[/QUOTE]

As I live in one of the top ten bicycle progressive cities, we even have police on bicycles....it is against the law to pull up on the left of a bicylist
and then make a right hand turn (essentially they'd run us over, common sense right?) but it happens all the time and I wonder just how the law is enforced. Anyhow, I wear a bright yellow, glow in the dark vest and people are so distracted, sometimes they still don't see me. So, just like you ...I have the air horn and I have annoying turn signals. Although they don't flash, they beep (air horn tweeps) I use arm signals with out fail, and obey all traffic laws. Recently, a distracted driver was doing all kinds of stupid things and I had to blast the air horn at him, and then he was all swivel neck and finally saw me (as if I had just committed a crime, he copped an attitude) I arm signaled I was turning left and put the turn signal tweeps on.....he then pulled up beside me and yelled out the window *you're fucking kidding me right?* :blink: It's always the guilty screaming victim. I ignored him, and he drove off. So yes, get that air horn back on that bike. Your life is more important. People are too busy
with dash board dining, talking on the phone, texting- I often wonder who is driving the car. I don't care how obnoxious my bicycle is. If you can't see me, you will hear me.

imperfect_cupcake
07-08-2011, 10:57 AM
I'm going to have to have the polite bell for the pedestrians strolling and not hearing me cycle up behind them on the shared paths, it happens and I'd hate to make them jump out of their skins with an air horn, and the air horn for the *&^%$ cars.

I'm an extremely aggressive cyclist. I get road rage, yell at cars, flip the bird a lot, cycle at three times the speed of most people in oxford (london too ingrained in my cycle system). Most people here don't wear helmets, don't wear vests, putter at "leisurely light cycle" mode even on the way to school in skirts/heels. I wear bike greasy dirt stained jogging trousers with heavy shirt (for pissing rain in summer) and reflective tape, bright helmet and a very, very assertive, aggressive loud bike demeanour. I stopped kicking cars when I started cycling in London cause I was afraid of someone kicking the crap out of me, but if someone gets too close - even though I'm pretty good with tight spaces with my bike - I swear and tap the door with my toe.

I was wondering if there was a such thing as signalling lights for my wrists! you've answered that question. :D

Amsterdam. Different animal. No one signals. people talk on the phone/text while cycling. I have NO idea what anyone is going to do when I get to a corner and it's thick with cycles pretty much everywhere. Amsterdam scares the shit out of me whenever I cycle there! Basically the only way it works is to just do what you want and and it seems to rythm work. I'm not sure how...

Linus
07-08-2011, 11:18 AM
You know, I gave up the airhorne. I used one for a while but it finally died. So I switch to a pealess whistle. This is awesome and deals with the pedestrians as well as the 14-wheeler trucks that sometimes potentially pass me.

I noticed that in California, a lot of people listen to their iPods with both headphones in their ears. I never understood why someone would do that.

Daktari
07-08-2011, 01:09 PM
How marvellous to see even more cyclists coming to join in the thread. I knew y'all had to be out there :cheesy:

Andrew...You might want to look at the women's compact frame bikes - they have crossbars like boys bikes. They're smaller frames, I know some short guys who ride them. They don't suit everyone though. I know girls who ride blokes frames because they're tall and the women's frames don't suit them. On the women's cycling forum I look in on quite a number of the women reckon that there's not much difference between the women's and men's frames in quite a number of the big brand names. We're talking road bikes here though not any other style of bike.

Diavolo... what was recommended for the saddle sores. Did you use Chamois Butt'r? Someone here has recommended Sudocreme for after rides. I can't afford a saddle fitting or the very expensive saddle they'd no doubt recommend.

Hey TickledPink... a triathalon, wow! Go you!! I'm not a fan of hills anymore now that I have 50% lung function, they really challenge me and I usually have to stop on the bigger inclines but like you I still make myself ride them. Once upon a time my training ground was the very hilly/mountainous Lake District (Cumbria UK)

honeybarbara... I loved cycling in Amsterdam when I used to visit regularly. Although riding after a coffeeshop visit was sometimes a errrrm! challenge :winky:

Yellow Band... There are far too many folks with bikes (those who own bikes rather than cyclists) who don't take any notice of the rules of the road and give drivers reason to think that cyclists in general are that stupid. I too follow the rules of the road, stop at lights etc and use clear arm signals, if one wants to be on the roads then one should follow the same rules as motorized road users. I would love an Airzound to wake up oblivious drivers. :cheesy:

I'm really glad that you guys share my exasperation with peds and motors. After coming back to riding after more than a decade I am quite alarmed at just how many more oblivious numpties are on the roads.

I am a very, very confident rider and will usually take up the primary position on the road when making manoeuvres because I believe doing so keeps me safer than being a more passive rider. I also refuse to ride in the gutter, why on earth would I ride over drain grids and potholes? I used to give a healthy kick to car doors if the driver cut me up or endangered me but I don't do that anymore because I too fear that they'll just stop and try to thump me. If a car passes me so closely that I can knock on their roof then they are endangering me so a knock on the roof usually wakes them up and generally gets me flip of the bird *shrugs*

Oh my Yellow Band, cycle lanes are another one of my soap-box topics.

I'm with you Linus, I don't understand why folks wear both headphones when cycling. If you can't hear anything that's going on around you then you're a danger to yourself and others. Although I do cycle with one side of my headphones in when I'm on the local National Cycle route - I'm currently working my way through Stephen Fry reading all the Harry Potter books - however I won't use headphones at all on the road.

Dominique
07-08-2011, 02:21 PM
I'm an extremely aggressive cyclist. I get road rage, yell at cars, flip the bird a lot, cycle at three times the speed of most people in oxford (london too ingrained in my cycle system).
I was wondering if there was a such thing as signalling lights for my wrists! you've answered that question. :D

Honeybarbara, you made me laugh. As little flickers of me misbehaving flashed before my eyes. I am usually the perfect ambassador for bicyclists sharing the road with cars....I give the little thank you wave, I turn around and let them know they can make the right on red, I'll stay put....I ignore that they have pulled their car across the cross walk and are causing a problem at the intersection. One day, not too long ago (and I really thought some one was going to post some ignorant comment on craigs list because I was out of control) anyhow, I was obeying traffic laws and waiting to turn into traffic when a red jeep pulled up behind me
and he didn't share my idea of entering traffic safely, so he passed me (on the illegal left to turn right) and yelled from his open aired jeep STUPID CU%#! I hate that word. Traffic was bumper to bumper from traffic light to traffic light, so it wasn't long till I caught up to him and I rode right down the middle of the road and got right beside him (driverside) and said *excuse me, tell me that word you called me back there* I was right in his face! I remember a city department of water truck was in traffic going the other way and he said *Oh shit*.....so red jeep was all nervous now and he said* You know what I said*......I thought I heard a little lisp so I started to yell, in rush hour traffic and had my arm raised up and was pointing at his jeep Hey, this guy has a little dick.......little dick .....little dick.....then I peddled around the jeep that was not moving in traffic and I was over on the sidewalk side yelling the same thing and pointing at him......people were looking:blink:......traffic moved some, about a block, so I let him get away from me, then of course I caught up to him again and started to point and yell again, (whole new audience) this cheating scum bag has a little dick and I was making a little dick hand gesture.....scum bag has a little dick.....little dick.....wait, I need to call the news so they can get a camera down here......and I pulled out my cell phone......traffic began to move again........I thought if i did it again, i'd be pushing my luck.
I know, I should be ashamed of myself. But I am not.

And for the record, I do not ride my bicycle to work in my high heels and skirts....I wear bicycle shorts some ratty top and that vest. I go to the ladiesroom, I call it the lockeroom now, and get redressed, fix my hair and put on my makeup.......I allow 20 minutes for that. It's only a hair short of two miles so I'm not a total sweat ball when I arrive. I repeat the leave the house clothes, for the journey home. I can't imagine riding in high heels. I could do it in a dress, but not those shoes.

shadows papa
07-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Wow, where do I start? I LOVE bicycles and everything about them. I love riding,working on them,looking at them,learning EVERYTHING about components and what works best for what! I'm now finally able to get back into riding since I'm out of school and working. I love road cycling,mountain biking, cyclocross, time trialing; if it's on two wheels I'm all over it! Now for the bikes, we have quite the collection started: 2005 Trek 1000 Team Discovery Channel edition. I upgraded the wheels,the seat,the brakes,and the stem. I also added a set of aerobars with flip-up arm pads as I used this one for training and for the hillier triathlons and as my primary bike after I sold my 2007 Trek Equinox 7 triathlon/time trial bike. I have a 1991 GT Timberline hardtail mountain bike that I ride and race on the wonderful trail systems we have in our area. It will be the first bike to get upgraded as I want to race this fall and I want a full suspension 26" bike to race on! I also have a 1991 Trek 1200. It is flourescent yellow with black crackles mixed into the paint. I stripped it down to a single speed and will be adding bullhorn bars and bar end brake levers to it in the near future. Miss Pink and I will be entering the Soldier Ride in September here in Nashville TN. It is a benefit ride for WoundedWarriors.org, an organization that provides support and empowerment to our returning soldiers who were wounded in the line of duty. I love charity rides for good causes of that sort and plan to enter more in the future. I am entering a short sprint triathlon in September as well and will use the Trek 1000 for that event. NOW for the wish list... I currently have approximately 4 to 5 bikes I want to add to our collection. 1. a full suspension 29'er mountain bike, probably a Giant Anthem X. 2. A cyclocross/commuter, probably a Surly CrossCheck or a Trek XO1. 3. A full carbon fiber road bike, probably an older model Trek 5200,that I build up myself. 4. The ultimate triathlon/TT bike, a Trek Speed Concept 9.8!! http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s269/Tillquist/MultiSport-Forum/speedconcept98_blackpearl.jpg

Daktari
07-08-2011, 07:56 PM
Oh how I wish I could still race.

Hey shadows papa. That's quite list of bikes there.

Here's another of my rides
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/76986_1552311933368_1402257260_31608549_7812007_n. jpg
apologies for the really bad picture.

Wish list time for me.

I'd love a Windcheetah. I rode one years ago that had been customized (by the manufacturer) for a person of similar short stature to myself and it was a blast.
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/P1010881.jpg

A Moulton Double Pylon would be nice too
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/Moulton-New-Series-Double-Pylon-Bicycle.gif

A touring 'bent would be useful
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/whole_bike.jpg

My wish list however will probably only ever remain wishes rather than reality.

Dominique
07-09-2011, 07:44 AM
A unicycle.....wow, I thought they were only used in the circus.

I wonder if I could ride one of those ????

I really don't want to be falling 10,000 times to learn. Just a pipe dream,

I never really see any. Those recumbant bikes are nice. All this talk about seats.....(the moulton)

I was supposed to be taking a kayak group out at 9, but we have heavy fog. They want to merge the nine a.m. with the 11 a.....most of the 9 a group has left.....I think I am leaving too. It'll be too hot.

Diavolo
07-09-2011, 08:25 AM
I noticed that in California, a lot of people listen to their iPods with both headphones in their ears. I never understood why someone would do that.

OMG this one makes me crazy. I have to ride on the canal trail for a while to get off of the hill and down to the part of town where it's safer to ride. I'll be hollering "on your left" and they are oblivious to me. At this point I make a mental note that we're going to hit and am always thankful when we don't. Idiots.

I don't understand why you'd fuck up a perfectly good run by pumping noise into your head.

The idea of moving around outside while that plugged in is bizarre to me. I just think about that guy that got shot because he ignored the police instruction to get down on the ground and was found to be wearing earbuds. It was a police mistake that took his life but Jesus, the dude is still dead. Was the music that important? I don't get it.

Daktari
07-09-2011, 08:36 AM
Unicycles are ridden by many folks outside the circus. There's all sorts of styles of riding. Street, flatland, mUni and just regular riding (which is what I do). Get a load of this guy - Kris Holm, unicycling god!
sV_w3CodBcw

As a person who does certain circus-y type balancing activities like rola bola/balance board...
J8vObxsalkw

...'cept I don't balance girls on my shoulders and it's a few years since I built up to balancing several layers up, I can say that learning to ride a unicycle is one of the hardest things I've ever learned. I'm still a beginner and can't freemount. However, I can now turn corners and figures of eight and I can ride away from young lads who always want to have a go and as yet not one of them has managed to get on the uni - they're not good at taking instruction and think they know best even when I'm telling them the best way to mount :blink:. It amuses me greatly that they think it's that easy. :simplelaugh: I can say that I haven't injured myself learning to ride uni apart from falling off backwards the first day I got my first one and getting a nice pedal bite and a bruised arse! It's pretty easy to just step off and let the uni drop to the floor before falling.

Recumbents are wonderful to ride. HPV's hold pretty much all the human powered speed records. Having one's back up against a seat back means that big power can be transferred to the cranks - like doing leg presses in the gym. I personally prefer under seat steering as shoulders are in a more natural position. One advantage of the trike 'bents is that when out for a ride one can have an ice-cream or a cup of tea without leaving the bike :cheesy:

Sorry you weren't able to get out kayaking today, I hope you get to do some form of sporty activity this weekend.

shadows papa
07-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Learning to ride a unicycle is on my list of "TO DO" things, Incubus! Today me, Miss Pinky and SnackBro went for a nice bike ride out in the country south of Nashville. Found a really neat route that I want to ride at a later date that will start where we started and end up at home. It's great to get out and get back to riding on the backroads. I refuse to ride my road bike on the main highways in Nashville because these folks have no respect for other cars,much less for someone in bright colored Lycra on two wheels! I have also decided to get a new 29'er hardtail as my next bike. Looking forward to adding one to the stable in mid-August when the 2012 models start making their way to my local bike shop. It's a Trek Gary Fisher Collection Mamba and should be a blast to ride on our local trails!
http://www.mtb29er.com/pics-2011/2011_Gary_Fisher_Mamba_29er_bike.jpg

Dominique
07-10-2011, 02:02 PM
I refuse to ride my road bike on the main highways in Nashville because these folks have no respect for other cars,much less for someone in bright colored Lycra on two wheels!http://www.mtb29er.com/pics-2011/2011_Gary_Fisher_Mamba_29er_bike.jpg

SNIP!

I learned my lesson, Shadow (wine dog) :confused:(?) Hello again!! riding pretty far out, training, alone. You know how that goes, let me squeeze in 25 miles here.....I was squeezed off the edge of the road and where the poorly poured asphalt ended there was a three, maybe four, inch drop and then it was gravel and debris. I couldn't hold the bike on the asphalt and the front tire fell down into the gravel and that was all it took to knock me off balance and i fell. Fortunately, I fell into the gravel and not into the traffic or I would not be typing in this thread (I don't think)

Funny how when stuff like that happens, and the way you behave. Some very caring motorists pulled over and called for the police. They thought I was I was hit. It's funny now, but wasn't funny then. My Specialized RAAM
is a very expensive bicycle and I wasn't getting into an ambulance unless it was too. I was going to just get on it and ride home. I was a text book case of fight flight flee. The policeman was nice and took care of my bicycle.

That U tube clip of the unicycle was pretty neat. A different form of extreme sport. I'm serious, I've never seen anyone (outside the circus) ride one.

I'm liking the trek bikes more and more. Trek makes bikes for women too. Is this your bicycle^....that's what I'd call a wedge seat. Ouch, my butt hurts just looking at it.

Too humid today, I'm seeking refuge inside my igloo. My honey agreed to go for a bicycle ride with me as soon as the sun came up.....geeze, we were going so slowly, I could hardly keep my balance....but I didn't dare complain. Glad yinz had a nice ride!

shadows papa
07-10-2011, 03:10 PM
Hi Yellow band! That is a pic of the new bike I am getting in August or September,whenever the 2012 models hit the bike shop floor. After I get my new bike, we are getting Miss Pinky the same bike in Trek's WSD (Women's Specific Design). We will then let go of two or three of the bikes we have now that don't see much riding time. I'll either use them to trade for a cyclocross bike or we'll give them to a local shop that gets kids that don't have bikes on used bikes and teaches them to ride safely. I currently ride a Selle San Marco Aspide seat on my road bike and a Terry Liberator seat on my mountain bike. Neither have much padding and they ride like a dream! I've done a LOT of research into seat fit,and it's all about where it hits your "sit bones" not about how much padding it has on it. We are getting Miss Pinky a Specialized Body Geometry seat after they do the proper measuring to ensure she gets the correct size. Because we all know if the cyclist's ass ain't happy, that cyclist ain't gonna ride very LONG!

Dominique
07-10-2011, 03:33 PM
I read your post about sit bones.....I must sit right on my bones, no lie.

I really like the seat I have on the *old lady* bike I ride now, my cargo bike. I even have a top case mounted on the back. It's like my purse, well, thats where my purse goes. But I'm not dumb enough to leave my purse in there.

I followed you on twitter on your aids ride. Just wanted you to know I still read your tweets. Every time I roast a batch of coffee beans, I think of you (crazy how small the internet world is isn't it?) I think of you and all the wine folks sitting at the computer in your sunglasses tasting for flavours of flowers or hints of spice. :cigar2:Geeze, that calls for a good cigar!

I think donating to a potential future rider is a fantastic gesture. I'm involved in the Ghost Bikes project here (I know, how moarose) but it's my way of fighting for our right for space on the road......Those all white stripped down bikes (unfortunately) make people think.

I'm still a maniac in the gym, haven't seen a gym thread....are you just doing bicycle? It's good to *catch up* with you again!

Daktari
07-10-2011, 04:12 PM
I've been 'bitten' by the edge of asphalt too Yellow band and I still bear the scars from landing upside down in a thorn bush laden ditch. I was riding a prototype recumbent so was most concerned that the bike was ok as the guys lifted me and the machine out of the ditch. It was a group ride and all the ladies stopped to tend to my rather extensive surface wounds. I ended up rather battered, bruised and broke bones in my left hand...in other words I got away quite lightly really.

Were you badly injured Yellow band?

To be honest most folks don't think anyone rides unicycles outside the circus. "Are you in the circus" is one of the most common things folks ask when I'm out on the uni. Second most common is "Can I have a go?". As far as I know I am one of just two riders around my town.
The younger uni dudes are crazy
eg644RVb3lY&feature=related

Shadow...do it, get yourself a unicycle - the received wisdom is start on a 20in wheel to learn the basics...it's not so far to fall from a 20 :cheesy: I ride a 24in wheel but would like a 26...not so sure I'm tall enough to ride a 29in wheel and I know that unless I cut down the frame I'll never ride a 36in wheel.
I learnt the basics on one of these
http://www.unicycle.com/unicycles/bymanufacturer/club/club-20-inch-freestyle-purple.html/

shadows papa
07-10-2011, 04:15 PM
"I followed you on twitter on your aids ride. Just wanted you to know I still read your tweets. Every time I roast a batch of coffee beans, I think of you (crazy how small the internet world is isn't it?) I think of you and all the wine folks sitting at the computer in your sunglasses tasting for flavours of flowers or hints of spice. Geeze, that calls for a good cigar!"

I believe that was Diavolo that you were following on Twitter. Diavolo does the Aids LifeCycle event about every year, I think. I would LOVE to do one though!

Daktari
07-10-2011, 04:47 PM
Me again with videos. Have you guys heard of Danny MacAskill? What this guy does on a bike is a step beyond awesome.
Z19zFlPah-o
Cj6ho1-G6tw

Dominique
07-10-2011, 05:02 PM

Were you badly injured Yellow band?

I'm not *RIGHT* but that can be an entirely seperate conversation :jester:

I was sort of in shock, I'm sure you know what I am talking about, like I said I was very preoccupied with my bicycle. Then my focus shifted to my trophy legs. I had a nasty slice on my right shin that grabbed a piece of the front of the calf muscle, that sucker had a pulse and was bleeding like a sieve. I could see that and I think thats why I was focused on it. My riding gloves did what they are suppose to do. Only the nail on the little finger was broken. I tore my riding shirt sleeve and most of my injuries were shoulder/cervical related. It took 48 hours for most of that to show up (maximum swelling) other than the road rash. The scars on my shoulder are small and that gash on my *trophy leg* is now a clean line. They closed that with surgi-tape, because I was such a nag:blink:. When I think about what could of been (had I of fallen the other way) uugh. I am fine, and thank you for asking. Kind of explains why I ride loudly now, but I still ride. It's what I do. I was born on a bicycle.

Rockinonahigh
07-10-2011, 05:22 PM
Sorry I havent replyed to your post as of yet,but I havent forgotten.I havent tryed craigs list in looking for a bike but I did put out a request for one on freecycle.com today so I will see what comes out of that.I really would like to ride when it cools of some,but with 101 temp today the only rideing im doing is the stationarey ones at the gym.Besides with my asthma extream temps are a no no even tho if im careful I can get by a little.

Cowboi
07-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Sorry I havent replyed to your post as of yet,but I havent forgotten.I havent tryed craigs list in looking for a bike but I did put out a request for one on freecycle.com today so I will see what comes out of that.I really would like to ride when it cools of some,but with 101 temp today the only rideing im doing is the stationarey ones at the gym.Besides with my asthma extream temps are a no no even tho if im careful I can get by a little.

Hey Rock, Check the pawn shops. A friend of mine picked up a really nice bike there, and a good price to boot!!!

Chancie
07-10-2011, 05:53 PM
I have an old mountain bike with thick heavy tires.

Will it make my bike much lighter if I ask Bicycle Guy to switch out the tires for lighter thinner ones?

Is it worth it? Will it make it easier for me to tool around town?

Daktari
07-10-2011, 06:09 PM

No apologies necessary Rockin. It would be ace if something comes back from freecycle for you. A free bike is better than no bike

I know exactly what you mean about extreme temperatures affecting your asthma. I have asthma and copd which are affected by the cold, high humidity, the wind and exercise too. Cycling is my way of keeping the 50% lung function I have left and I do feel my lungs are being less affected by the things that usually affect them with the more miles I put in. I hope that when you get a bike you experience the same improvement with your asthma.

Daktari
07-10-2011, 06:16 PM
I have an old mountain bike with thick heavy tires.

Will it make my bike much lighter if I ask Bicycle Guy to switch out the tires for lighter thinner ones?

Is it worth it? Will it make it easier for me to tool around town?

Don't think changing over the tyres will make your bike *that* much lighter if it's not a lightweight bike to start with. However changing the knobbly off road tyres to something more road worthy will make tooling round town a little faster. Less rubber on the floor is good!!

Another idea for bike sources Rockin is police sales. In my town stolen bikes not reunited with their owners are sent to a local sale room. May be worth looking into what the cops do with stolen bikes in your town/area.

Rockinonahigh
07-10-2011, 07:03 PM
We have police sales twice a year,so I will check to see when one is comeing up,and check at the pawn shops then maybe something may pop up on freecycle who knows stranger things have happened.
Last week at the health club I was on a bike thing the had a screan in frount of it so it was like road rideing,the thing is really stable so I doubted I would fall off it,by time it was said and done I had gone 61/2 miles staying at no less than 80 pedals a minit to as much as 120pedals a minits in sprints.With all that sweating and pedleing I only burned 81 calories,I really thought I had done better than that...oh well thats 81 calories less.

Diavolo
07-10-2011, 10:04 PM
"I followed you on twitter on your aids ride. Just wanted you to know I still read your tweets. Every time I roast a batch of coffee beans, I think of you (crazy how small the internet world is isn't it?) I think of you and all the wine folks sitting at the computer in your sunglasses tasting for flavours of flowers or hints of spice. Geeze, that calls for a good cigar!"

I believe that was Diavolo that you were following on Twitter. Diavolo does the Aids LifeCycle event about every year, I think. I would LOVE to do one though!

OK. I was looking at this trying to figure out who rode what when. LOL!

I just rode for the first time this year but we'd love to see you out there too. It's an amazing event. Your job is to eat, sleep and ride. That's it. This year we raised $13 million to fight HIV is SF and LA.

Dominique
07-11-2011, 03:26 AM

I just rode for the first time this year but we'd love to see you out there too. It's an amazing event. Your job is to eat, sleep and ride. That's it. This year we raised $13 million to fight HIV is SF and LA.

Here I was having a complete conversation with the wrong person...I couldn't piece together the nashville/SF thing:sunglass:

OK, now that I have this all clear

Daktari
07-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Oh my giddy aunt!! I think I've broken myself after the longest time I've spent in the saddle for over 15yrs.

I rode out this afternoon with my college mate Marc. He's a sweet boy of 23 and kept up well with this 47yr old :cheesy: We cycled to my home village and down by the river looking for ship wreck remains - it's a tidal river which had a really thriving fishing port at the estuary. We followed the river path which turned into a very narrow track that I probably shouldn't have taken a road bike down but we made it with just some nettle stings for me...Marc was in his tartan long trews so escaped the stings. I've just calculated our mileage and we rolled just over 19 miles.

I made it home and shoved some lovely hot buttered crumpets down my neck, had half a mug of tea and shot out the door again to go join the first Breeze ride in Blackpool.
http://www.goskyride.com/breeze
We were just a small group and to be honest the ride was a little slow for some of us but it was fun nontheless. They were mainly older, straight ladies and they really didn't know what to make of me but that was cool. We cycled along the Prom (for the 3rd time in the day for me) for 5 and a bit miles to a pub we all knew and then, after a pint, cycled back again. Adding this ride to my daily total takes me to just about 30miles and I'm totally pooped. I have a bruised hand (I need cycle gloves), a still stinging calf from the nettles, sore bits from a new saddle and shorts that aren't padded enough and a grazed knee from falling over to match the big hole in my other knee when I got forced off my bike a week or so ago. All in all it's been a grand day in the saddle :bicycle:

The ride leader Carly and I were having a chat about clipless vs cages as we were coming to the end of our ride and just as I'd said "I always take my foot out of the cage if I anticipate a problem" I managed to not get my foot out the cage as we stopped and down I went. :rolleyes: :pointing: ...I couldn't help but hoot with laughter. I'm looking forward to getting out with the 'ladies' again when I get back from Madame Cholet's burrow in a couple of weeks.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/IMG_0172.jpg
Marc and his steed by the river.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/IMG_0177.jpg
The wider bit of the narrow track

Medusa
07-12-2011, 04:27 PM
I need a good bike that will accomodate my plus-size self! Any recommendations appreciated!

I had a wonderful bike about 7 or 8 years ago that I had to let go and miss it and am looking for something that I can ride (for weight loss) that is simple and durable.

Medusa
07-12-2011, 04:32 PM
I did some digging:

ME WANT! Now if someone can make $2000 appear out of thin air! :police:

http://www.supersizedcycles.com/Customized-Cruiser-Bikes-p/superbicycle.htm

Daktari
07-12-2011, 04:44 PM
I did some digging:

ME WANT! Now if someone can make $2000 appear out of thin air! :police:

http://www.supersizedcycles.com/Customized-Cruiser-Bikes-p/superbicycle.htm

Niiiiice! So wish I could afford to spend a couple of grand on a bicycle too :cheesy:

I'm sure you'd be fine with a basic hybrid bike Medusa. What's your budget?

Dominique
07-12-2011, 05:49 PM
Incubus/Medusa

For the most part, that bike is ideal, however...do you really want drum brakes and disc brakes? I agree with everything else about it but don't know why you need *motorcycle* type of braking system.

I admit, I'm on brain overload and about to go to bed.....I's suggest you look at TREK. They make many many bikes for women. and I'd bet you could get a great cruiser for arounf $500 dollars.

Daktari
07-12-2011, 05:56 PM
Yup the Trek bikes are worth looking at.

If you're prepared to cock your leg over a cross-bar the Kona Smoke is worth looking at. Reviews I read of it when I started looking for a new bike said that it's heavyish and bombproof.

It's worth visiting any local bike shops in your area Medusa and just asking advice to start with. Keep an eye on good old ebay (I bought Lady H on ebay uk) and Craigs list.

I hope you find the steed that suits you.

:bicycle:

SnackTime
07-12-2011, 06:32 PM

I believe Shad could have been thinking of Pops (do not quote me). I know Pops has been participating in this event for 10+ years now.

Medusa
07-12-2011, 06:34 PM
Niiiiice! So wish I could afford to spend a couple of grand on a bicycle too :cheesy:

I'm sure you'd be fine with a basic hybrid bike Medusa. What's your budget?

I'd prefer to spend around $300 or less but would be willing to go to $500 for something amazing!

Rockinonahigh
07-12-2011, 07:20 PM
Today I found an old cruiser type bike but its pretty rough,needs work but I think I can get it for very little.Besides it may be a good restoration project for me to keep my evil hands and mind buisey.Its about 20 odd yro,dirty not to rusty,needs a saddle but also has most of its parts.

DapperButch
07-12-2011, 07:37 PM
I'd prefer to spend around $300 or less but would be willing to go to $500 for something amazing!

I think that Incubus is giving good advice when he mentioned contacting your local bike shop.

Call and ask them what they can tell you about bicycles that would fit for you in regards to your weight. To be honest with you, I don't know any information on that, but the last thing you want to do is spend a lot of money b/c you think that you need a specific frame due to your "plus size", only to find out that it is not necessary. All it will then bring you is a heavier bike...a heavier bike means having to work harder to get it where you want to go! Who wants to do that unless necessary?!

Consider a hybrid. This is a bicycle whose tires are between the skinny tires of the road bikes and the thick tires of the mountain bikes. You will have the comfort of being seated upright and will have the ability to be able to ride on the road or hard packed trails.

Although I am a Cannondale guy, I concur that Trek would be good to look at b/c they have a number of women specific frames. However, finding a woman specific frame I think is more important than any specific brand. If your body type is similar to most women's (shorter torso, longer legs), making this choice is a good one.

The additional benefit to buying from a bike shop is that they will "fit" the bike to you. Meaning, they will make sure that number one, you purchase the correct size frame, and number two, they will set up the seat, handlebars, etc., to the right position for you. People don't realize how important this is. A bike fitting correctly will make all the difference in the world with how far you are comfortable riding. That in itself is worth $100. A bike that doesn't fit someone correctly will stay in the garage.

If you have problems in the future, you can bring your bike in and they will do simple stuff for free, too. They will also give you lots of advice and stuff b/c all they want to do is talk all things bike!

Last thing, I personally like to use bike shops that are independently owned, and not chain stores. With an independent bike shop you can be more certain that they REALLY know what they are doing when I talk about the above. Also, ask them if they know of any places to get a used bike.

Good Luck!

Daktari
07-12-2011, 08:12 PM

I'm pretty sure you should be able get something entry level and adequate specification for your price bracket. I've never spent more than what would the sterling equivalent of $500 on a bike. Much as I would love to invest over a £1000 for a recumbent I don't think that's gonna happen until there's icicles in hell :cheesy:

Lady Haydock is a classic old bike and cost the princely sum of £128 (that's just a shade over $200)

Today I found an old cruiser type bike but its pretty rough,needs work but I think I can get it for very little.Besides it may be a good restoration project for me to keep my evil hands and mind buisey.Its about 20 odd yro,dirty not to rusty,needs a saddle but also has most of its parts.

Woooohoooo! That was a quick find Rockin! A restoration project sounds like fun. I wish you happy pedaling. *insert a more appropriate cycling smiley than the one available*

DapperButch
07-12-2011, 08:14 PM
The ride leader Carly and I were having a chat about clipless vs cages as we were coming to the end of our ride and just as I'd said "I always take my foot out of the cage if I anticipate a problem" I managed to not get my foot out the cage as we stopped and down I went. :rolleyes: :pointing: ...I couldn't help but hoot with laughter. I'm looking forward to getting out with the 'ladies' again when I get back from Madame Cholet's burrow in a couple of weeks.

Love the pics.

Oh, and clipless here! I can get my foot twisted out of those much quicker than could slide my foot backwards out of a cage.

Daktari
07-12-2011, 08:18 PM
Love the pics.

Oh, and clipless here! I can get my foot twisted out of those much quicker than could slide my foot backwards out of a cage.

Cheers Dapper, it amuses me to take pics of where I've rolled along to.

I am sorely tempted to try clipless but not sure I can afford to invest in new pedals and shoes when a rear rack, fenders and a new stem are more important to me. Oh well, only until December to wait for birthday and Christmas presents :cheesy:

Rockinonahigh
07-12-2011, 08:29 PM
I'm pretty sure you should be able get something entry level and adequate specification for your price bracket. I've never spent more than what would the sterling equivalent of $500 on a bike. Much as I would love to invest over a £1000 for a recumbent I don't think that's gonna happen until there's icicles in hell :cheesy:

Lady Haydock is a classic old bike and cost the princely sum of £128 (that's just a shade over $200)

Woooohoooo! That was a quick find Rockin! A restoration project sounds like fun. I wish you happy pedaling. *insert a more appropriate cycling smiley than the one available*

As I type this post said bike is now on my patio,the guy said the $25.00 I offered him was an ok deal,he brought it while I was in the shower and sonny boy paid him out of my emergency fund (coffee can).Sonny boy said is a swhin twin headlight boys cruising bike something like a early 50's modle,was a red and hawiian blue color.It still has original tires,headlights and the thing on the side of the wheel to power the light..something tells me im gonna have some fun with this bike.

Daktari
07-12-2011, 08:51 PM
As I type this post said bike is now on my patio,the guy said the $25.00 I offered him was an ok deal,he brought it while I was in the shower and sonny boy paid him out of my emergency fund (coffee can).Sonny boy said is a swhin twin headlight boys cruising bike something like a early 50's modle,was a red and hawiian blue color.It still has original tires,headlights and the thing on the side of the wheel to power the light..something tells me im gonna have some fun with this bike.

How cool is that...and dynamo lights too...a definite result!!

Original tyres you say? On an early 50's bike? Jeepers I'd change those as soon as possible. Rubber degrades and the last thing you want is a blow out. Hitting tarmac at speed hurts....a lot!

Sounds like s/he will be a grand ride though. I hope you can preserve the original paintwork.

Diavolo
07-12-2011, 09:04 PM
I need a good bike that will accomodate my plus-size self! Any recommendations appreciated!

I had a wonderful bike about 7 or 8 years ago that I had to let go and miss it and am looking for something that I can ride (for weight loss) that is simple and durable.

I'd say take a look at cruisers and hybrids. They are fun, easy to get going on and as long as you don't get clips you won't do an Artie Johnson, which is really embarrassing. Although the CEO of the AIDS/Lifecycle did two on Day 1 so it can't be that bad.

http://www.beachbikes.net/images/products/bella_pink.jpg

On sale for $179. My work is done here.

Rockinonahigh
07-12-2011, 09:57 PM
How cool is that...and dynamo lights too...a definite result!!

Original tyres you say? On an early 50's bike? Jeepers I'd change those as soon as possible. Rubber degrades and the last thing you want is a blow out. Hitting tarmac at speed hurts....a lot!

Sounds like s/he will be a grand ride though. I hope you can preserve the original paintwork.

Tomorrow im going to take the bike and put it in the trunk of my car and go to the bike shop not far from hear,the guy that owns it has owned it since he was a teenager and thats been a long time ago.This way he can see what I have to work with and what I need..so now it starts cause I want to keep it as original as I can.

Daktari
07-13-2011, 04:43 AM
I'd say take a look at cruisers and hybrids. They are fun, easy to get going on and as long as you don't get clips you won't do an Artie Johnson, which is really embarrassing. Although the CEO of the AIDS/Lifecycle did two on Day 1 so it can't be that bad.

http://www.beachbikes.net/images/products/bella_pink.jpg

On sale for $179. My work is done here.

That looks just the ticket Diavolo. How does one brake on such a bike? Is it a proper fixie so you have no chance to cruise? Is Arkansas really flat?

Tomorrow im going to take the bike and put it in the trunk of my car and go to the bike shop not far from hear,the guy that owns it has owned it since he was a teenager and thats been a long time ago.This way he can see what I have to work with and what I need..so now it starts cause I want to keep it as original as I can.

That's just the sort of bike shop to use Rockin. They're usually Aladdin's Caves of bike bits and pieces and the guys who own them are usually far more knowledgeable than those who work in cycling chain stores, who usually only know something about the bikes they stock. I can't wait to see pics of your bike.

DapperButch
07-13-2011, 04:54 AM
That looks just the ticket Diavolo. How does one brake on such a bike? Is it a proper fixie so you have no chance to cruise? Is Arkansas really flat?

With the pedals.

That's just the sort of bike shop to use Rockin. They're usually Aladdin's Caves of bike bits and pieces and the guys who own them are usually far more knowledgeable than those who work in cycling chain stores, who usually only know something about the bikes they stock. I can't wait to see pics of your bike.

I agree. That was my point to Medusa...go to an independently owned shop.

Daktari
07-13-2011, 05:02 AM
I agree. That was my point to Medusa...go to an independently owned shop.

So you pedal backwards to brake? Is that not a little counter-intuitive? Is Arkansas flat Dapper? Riding a fixie/single speed would be a little hard on the knees would it not? I've only ever ridden a single freewheel, with brakes, rather than a fixie.

DapperButch
07-13-2011, 05:12 AM
So you pedal backwards to brake? Is that not a little counter-intuitive?

Yes.

Is Arkansas flat Dapper?

Don't think so

Riding a fixie/single speed would be a little hard on the knees would it not?

Yes, it would. That is why I would not recommend this bike for someone who wants it for exercise/for Medusa (no offense Diavolo).

These bikes are most often used around beach towns, college towns, etc. Short distances, flat areas. Used for fun. Many around here grew up with a single speed, pedal brake. I don't have kids so I don't know if this is still the norm, or if kids always have handlebar brakes now.

I've only ever ridden a single freewheel, with brakes, rather than a fixie.

define fixie?

Have a great one! I have to get ready for work!

Daktari
07-13-2011, 05:21 AM
Have a great one! I have to get ready for work!

Have a great day yourself Dapper.

Here's what I mean by a fixie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-gear_bicycle

It was my thought too that for general fitness and tooling around town that gears and proper brakes would be more useful for Medusa.

Diavolo
07-13-2011, 06:36 AM
Have a great day yourself Dapper.

Here's what I mean by a fixie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixed-gear_bicycle

It was my thought too that for general fitness and tooling around town that gears and proper brakes would be more useful for Medusa.

Yes. A fixie would not be a good place for her to start. Really, whatever makes her happy to get out there is her best choice. While I was playing around with the pink bike, if that bike makes her happy and makes her want to ride, she should get one. I'm pretty sure it has coaster brakes.

I started on a hybrid and moved up to a road bike. I'm still a Clydesdale, just a faster one that I used to be. And stronger. I originally bought my bike to tool down to the gym and back in the morning. I never rode that bike to the gym once. I rode it through the hills on longer rides than most people take hybrids and realized I'd been bitten by the bug. I sold it and got my road bike. Currently I'm riding a Specialized Roubaix Comp that I got on craigslist. Good Lord willing and the creek don't rise I'll get my S-Works Roubaix next year. It's been a goal for two years now. Unrealized, but a goal.
http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2009/bikes/9793-11_SW_RBX_Cbn-Yel_RSYSprem_d.jpg

Because this boy loves toys.

Daktari
07-13-2011, 07:13 AM
The women I was out riding with last night had hybrids, it's where a lot of folks start I believe...several of them were larger ladies too. There was only 3 of us with road bikes. The other two had lovely racing bikes - although our leader, Carly, was on her daughters racer as she'd had a tumble and her bike was in the bike hospital.

Just a wee bimble around ebay.com has thrown up quite a number of women's hybrids, like this one...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Schwinn-700C-Midmoor-Womens-Hybrid-Comfort-Bike-Bicycle-/350443082864?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5198091470
I'm not a fan of suspension forks on cheapy bike though.

Diavolo
07-13-2011, 07:44 AM
That looks like a great little starter bike.

Rockinonahigh
07-14-2011, 05:47 PM
Today I did a personal best on the bike at the gym,they have them set up like racing bikes with a screan infrount to simulate road rideing or raceing.I did 61/2 miles in something like 25.03 minits I know it may be slow but for me it was really good,I did slow down for a breather but nevr quit till I got to the end.

Rockinonahigh
07-14-2011, 11:05 PM
I checked my time and distance card I am keeping to check my progress,I should have said my time was 19.03 ..teaches me to check befpre I wright something.I dont know if its good or bad but it shure was fun.

Dominique
07-15-2011, 06:27 PM
http://www.specialized.com/OA_MEDIA/2009/bikes/9793-11_SW_RBX_Cbn-Yel_RSYSprem_d.jpg

Because this boy loves toys.

NI!CE... Specialized has been my bike of choice for quite some time now....(gils like toys too ya know) I started with a specialized rock hopper, built from the frame up in a bicycle shop....and it had many modicifactions. I still have it, and still ride it. I also have my RAAM,,,the one I fell over on, it's hooked to a cyclops trainer. I recently replaced the back tire, cyclops is hard on the tire. I have to get a picture of my cargo bike and get it posted.

Medusa
07-15-2011, 06:36 PM
Had a nice chat with a super-informed dude at our local semi-famous bike shop "Chainwheel". He made a lot of good recommendations and talked in depth about what would fit me best for something super durable, exercise-friendly, etc.

Im going with a hybrid and need to save up. The bike I have my eye on is more expensive than I expected but I think it will be worth it! EXCITED!

Daktari
07-16-2011, 04:45 AM
That's ace Medusa. I hope you're up and riding sooner rather than later.

Dominique
07-16-2011, 04:51 AM
HA! Remembering when I transitioned from my Kmart bicycle (but by my own admission $65 well spent dollars while in college) to my cutom built for me rock hopper. That was the turning point for me to become a serious cyclist. That was also the bicycle that I removed the seat from every time I chained it up.:seeingstars: I still can not recall why I did that. Soon, hills that I often had to get off and push a portion of the way up, I was peddaling to the top. It was money well spent. Like a chevette to a corvette.

Diavolo
07-16-2011, 07:17 AM
Im going with a hybrid and need to save up. The bike I have my eye on is more expensive than I expected but I think it will be worth it! EXCITED!

I started with a hybrid, a Specialized Sirruis. I paid around $500 out the door during my local bike shops annual sale. It seemed like a lot at the time but not so much any more.

DapperButch
07-17-2011, 04:02 PM
I started with a hybrid, a Specialized Sirruis. I paid around $500 out the door during my local bike shops annual sale. It seemed like a lot at the time but not so much any more.

My first bike was a Cannondale from my local shop, too. Mountain bike, rigid. This was right before front shocks became standard on mountain bikes (and obviously before full suspension).

I too paid $500!

imperfect_cupcake
07-18-2011, 12:13 AM
argh!!! As I was gearing up around a corner, at high speed, middle of busy intersection, right turn (same as left turn in other countries who drive on the regular side of the road...) I geared ip too quickly on my POS bike and it gear changed right off the end of my gears and into the crux of my wheel hub, seizing the wheel. I managed to actually stay on the bike, not get hit and get over to side of road, very quickly. I tried to get the chain out but it was rammed right in there. after getting more and more frustrated, more and more late for work, close to missing my last bus (there's only 3 buses in the morning to the outskirts of the neighbouring village to oxford, where the business park is), yanking away, swearing under my breath and getting really irritated with various people passing my by on the side walk watching me, hands and wrists now covered in chain grease... when it occurs to me to undo the quick-release wheel. duh. oh.

fixed chain. had nothing to wipe hands with (stupid. I should always carry something as there's always a chance of the chain coming off, it's the most common thing that happens on a bike). covered self, face, handlebars in chain grease cycling to bus station. Then had to show up at work covered in chain grease. executive office. nice.

Dominique
07-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Brillant info about the chain and the quick release....I had to go look at my *cargo* bike to see if I had a quick release on the back wheel. (it does, I never noticed that before)
I just may have up my skill level to two things in the way of bicycle repair. I know how to put the chain back on, and now (hope it never happens) I feel certain I could un jamm the chain from in between the sprockets.

I carry a smam-wow in my top case, but from the sounds of it, you needed go jo. How did you get the grease out from underneath your nails? sorry to hear your ride was not so wonderful.

Daktari
07-19-2011, 04:18 AM
My first bike was a little Raleigh with stabilisers. I remember vividly riding upto my Pops the first time I rode without the stabilizers (training wheels).

I've never not had a bike since I was 5/6yrs old, so had far too many to even remember or list here.

As an adult I've owned Giant and Spesh mountain bikes/hybrids, Moultons, a lovely KHS (sans suspension) mountainbike (a true temper lightweight steel frame)....many of my bikes have been second-hand. Buying second-hand bikes means that one can often afford a better bike than buying brand-new. There's no way I could afford a new version of Lady H.

I'm really missing my bike. I'm in the middle of nowhere at Madame Cholet's burrow. I have an inner tube ready for fixing M.C's hybrid (women's frame) but haven't had time as rehearsals and spending time with M.C have taken over the week thus far.

I have both the quick release levers for my wheels tied to the frame with multiple zip ties. I don't want to come back to my bike to find some scroat has nicked my wheels....I've not been able to afford locking skewers yet. Of course the ties wouldn't stop any determined thief but they are a deterrent. If I need to use the QR mechanism then my trusty Swiss Army knife would cut them to allow access.

DapperButch
07-19-2011, 06:17 AM
For some reason I can't remember my first bike, but I remember the bike I got somewhere between the ages of 6-8. I don't know where my parents got it from, but I remember it was a used bike and that my Dad painted it aqua. I thought it was so cool to be able to paint your bike.

The bike that was oh so important to me I received around age 10 or so. It was a Schwinn 10 speed. I loved that thing. I got it for Christmas and I remember there was snow on the ground that year. I remember riding it in the backyard that morning over the light snow. I suppose my parents figured if I fell due to snow, it was better to happen on the grass, than the hard road.

I was actually over my mother's last weekend and took a look at that bike hanging next to all the other old family bikes from the ceiling in the garage. I saw my parents bikes hanging up there too and I was reminded as to how they would take me and my sister on those bikes when we were small. My mother's bike had a built on rack on the back and my older sister would sit on that and make sure her feet didn't touch the back wheel. I sat on the top tube of my Dad's bike, side saddle like. Sounds kind of crazy when thinking about it, now.

Good topic, Incubus. Thanks for triggering my memories.

Sparkle
07-19-2011, 06:51 AM

I'm hoping to be able to buy a bicycle for myself at the end of the summer; I tried out few different models and brands last year - from cruisers to hybrids. I have miles of bike path behind my house, but its not flat. I want a bike for recreation, fitness and an occasional commute to work. I've decided to go with a hybrid as well. This is the one I chose after lots of research:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/fitness/fx/7_2_fx_wsd_2011/#/us/en/model/features?url=us/en/bikes/road/fitness/fx/7_2_fx_wsd_2011

It is a bit pricier than the shiny pretty cruisers I looked at, but I know on this one I'm going to feel best on, for the longest stretch of time.

Dominique
07-19-2011, 05:05 PM
I have both the quick release levers for my wheels tied to the frame with multiple zip ties. I don't want to come back to my bike to find some scroat has nicked my wheels....I've not been able to afford locking skewers yet. Of course the ties wouldn't stop any determined thief but they are a deterrent. If I need to use the QR mechanism then my trusty Swiss Army knife would cut them to allow access.[/QUOTE]

Me, the person who used to remove my uncomfortable wedge seat, (was that a trend or something for a while?) I never noticed the quick release
on the wheel and have since looked at my Specialized Rock hopper, it has one too. No one ever stole my wheel.....NOOOO......all attention was on the missing seat. I'm going to run the cable lock trough the wheels now.

pajama
07-20-2011, 10:27 PM
I'm getting this

http://www.awcycles.co.uk/images/Abus/tkw11_lexasl_1403003b.jpg

I have a cruiser, but all my friends are getting into long-distance riding. I would never be able to afford (or want to pay in one lump sum) this kind of money for a bike. But my ex and her girlfriend are upgrading theirs and they offered to sell me this one on payments. They haven't even had it two months. They are just really into it and have the money to spend on even better ones.

I'm so excited. I tried it out tonight and rode 5 miles! I know that sounds ridiculously puny to some of y'all but it was incredible. I was able to climb hills with no problem, and the shifting on this level bike is amazing! I'm a gal that always just made due with Wal-Mart bikes so this is unbelievable.

I may have been bit.

I get my new bike this weekend. I have to work. :( But maybe it'll be cool enough still in the mornings to get in a ride after work and before bed.

Okay, sorry for the de-rail but I'm really excited. *giggle*

A

Dominique
07-21-2011, 04:12 AM
That's not a derail, its all things bike. Congrats....and welcome to the world of bicycles.

And Trek none the less. Nice Bike. Either read up on, or have someone explain to you the benefits of those toe clamps.

Daktari
07-21-2011, 04:34 AM
Wishing you and your new steed many, many happy miles together pajara.

Happy pedaling one and all!

Do any of y'all (other than Yellow Band, honeybarbara and me) use their bike for daily transport rather than just fitness.

DapperButch
07-21-2011, 05:17 AM
Wowsa! She is SWEET!

Congrats on the new ride!

And 5 miles is fantastic! You go!

pajama
07-21-2011, 07:39 AM
That's not a derail, its all things bike. Congrats....and welcome to the world of bicycles.

And Trek none the less. Nice Bike. Either read up on, or have someone explain to you the benefits of those toe clamps.

Yes. I'm starting with just a cage pedal first, 'cause I will need to save up for the shoes and clamp pedals. Plus I will need a learning curve, which I'm sure will require me putting my feet down often. LOL So we'll see when I graduate up to the clamps.

If I didn't work 47-ish miles away I would totally ride this to work.

And thanks everyone for the congrats. I'm also lucky to have one of the leading bike shops in my area literally around the corner from my house. So I will probably have her adjusted to as close to a perfect fit for me. Also gotta invest in the right tools. Anyone have any suggestions for a good tool set, and maintenance manual?

A

Diavolo
07-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Congrats Pajara2. If you have to stumble upon something, that's the way to do it.

In other news, I did Mt. Diablo today. The first time I've ever made it to the top without having to take a breather somewhere on the hill. Mt. Diablo is rated a Catagory 1 climb. 4.39 miles of 6.9% grade. Woof.

Daktari
07-25-2011, 05:59 AM
I'm dying to get back on my bike - I arrive home after 11pm tonight and might even cycle to the 24hr out of town supermarket just to give my legs and lungs a blast.

I didn't get around to fixing Madame Cholet's hybrid, it will have to wait until next time I'm at the Burrow - but it's not really been cycling weather over here on the east coast. It pained me to have to pay for public transport most days.

Daktari
07-31-2011, 03:52 PM
Please forgive me cycling deities...it's been sometime since my last cycling thread post.

I confess to having been a little perturbed that some members of the rather too slow group ride I did today hadn't actually ridden on roads before. I couldn't understand why the ride leaders were insisting we rode junctions and traffic lights in a big bunch. I didn't feel safe in the bunches with folks who had no road-craft. I shall be giving constructive feedback on this.

To be honest I hadn't realized how slow the ride would be. Jeepers they were even slower than the Breeze ladies. At least now I know I've outgrown this level of ride and shall register on the much stronger Sky Rides from here on in.

I've joined a cycling club for the first time ever. Blackpool Clarion is a 'chapter' of a national club. I went out with them for the first time on Thursday. I knew I'd feel 'under-dressed' in both clothes and bike - I'm not a racing bike riding lycra warrior - but it was good to get out with other folks who take their cycling seriously. I was challenged by the amount of inclines we rode up but the lovely Sean stayed at the back and honked up them with me. I will be riding again next week.

What wheelie adventures have y'all been having?

Dominique
07-31-2011, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=Incubus;389620]Please forgive me cycling deities...it's been sometime since my last cycling thread post.

I confess to having been a little perturbed that some members of the rather too slow group ride I did today hadn't actually ridden on roads before.

HaHa! Watch what you say....karma is crazy you know. My S/O just isn't the athlete that I am but does try to do some of the things that I do so as to avoid the nag (except running, that is a flat out forget it)anyhow...she is so slow on the bicycle, I am always circling back around or loosing my balance and putting my feet down....Not to mention how she gets off and pushes the bicycle up most hills. I even ride the beater bike and let her have the really nice bike. It's been the hottest summer I ever remember, and I do not do very well in these extremely high temperatures. So yesterday, I wanted to go to the farmers market...It's only a mile and a half away, and I insisted we take the bicycles. So at the end of the shopping spree, I was the one with the horrible head ache. Karma.:seeingstars:

I wear the lycra shorts, and the long pants,(because i have no ass) I only have a couple of the tops. Gloves are a must. Told you that story.

I'd love to cycle in pairs for safety reasons, and no matter how much I try to convince you and myself that I've slowed down to the speed of life, I still get on that bicycle and get to where I am going. I stopped on my way home from work one day last week, to a blood drive. I had on my bicycle shorts, my messenger bag still over my shoulders and my helmet and gloves still on. I wanted in from the heat. Every single person said to me "Did you ride your bicycle?" WTH? What is so odd about that? Why is that shocking in July? Ok, I'll stop here.....

jelli
07-31-2011, 06:16 PM
Cycling. I can never ever think of that very word without thinking of the love of my life - Cruel Joke aka Cruel.

Back on the dash site, my Cruel was all about the cycling. Could talk your ears off about rides, safety, equipment, and all the while I would sit there like a little school girl with my chin in my hands and my eyes brightly shining waiting for the next ride recap.

Along came an accident and they weren't sure if she'd lose her leg or not, luckily not. A lot of time healing, weight gain, and trying to replace what had been lost. I don't know if you can ever get back to that place or if the next best thing is even satisfying enough.

Cruel can, but doesn't ride much bike anymore. However, she does ride the motorized one every chance she gets home off the road. She says life has changed.

Still nostalgia sets in once in awhile.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3202/2541928427_a26238fee7.jpg

Unofficial Results: 1999 Assault on Mt. Mitchell
10:43 h
Unofficial Results: 2000 Assault on Mt Mitchell
10:25:42 h
Unofficial Results: 2001 Assault on Mt Mitchell
07:43 h

Dominique
07-31-2011, 06:27 PM
Yes, it's a skinny little tire vs a big car or truck. An accident changed the way I ride, but didn't stop me from riding. Albeit, grateful everytime I get on it.

Your not safe anyplace.

Daktari
07-31-2011, 06:53 PM
Hah! At least there's just you and one non-cyclist. I think I could hack that...albeit with a little frustration and lots of riding in circles. However, I'd rather be frustrated than put in danger on busy roads by folks who don't know how to ride on roads. We live in a seaside town and it's summer holiday time and so really busy at weekends. Anyone who hasn't ridden on roads really should not have been on them today.

Sadly I've never had a partner who rides or has even shown any interest, hence I ride and have ridden alone a lot of the time which is why I'm loving getting out with the Sky Rides and the Clarion folks.

I love the heat...although I know you lot are having serious heat over there and I've not experienced anything like it apart from a few weeks in Morocco and certainly not for doing any serious cycling in, so I'm not sure how I'd deal with that. However, it's been quite warm here this week and I've loved getting out and about on my wheels in it. Tuesdays Breeze (slow but social) ride was perfect and ended with a gorgeous sunset on the way back.

I am determined that I shall not become a lycra warrior. I will always wear my regular baggy cargo shorts/trews over my bike shorts and I have to wear baggy sports shirts to cover up my middle-aged muffin-top belly :o. I have just bought a budget priced cycling jacket and a waterpoof-ish jacket though. What gloves do you wear Yellow Band? I think I should have a pair of gloves now that I'm doing more mileage, although I am very careful about not putting pressure on my ulna nerve and flex my hands a lot whilst riding.

Yanno, I think lots of folks think us cyclists are a bit weird wanting to expend energy to get where we're going.

Oooops! rambled on a bit there.

jelli
07-31-2011, 06:56 PM
Yanno, I think lots of folks think us cyclists are a bit weird wanting to expend energy to get where were going.

I believe cyclists rock!!!!

Daktari
07-31-2011, 07:01 PM
I believe cyclists rock!!!!

...and you rock too jelli. Do you ever ride?

I'm so sorry to hear that Cruel Joke had such a nasty accident that has all but stopped her riding.

Motor vehicles vs. HPV's = an unholy mess. :(

jelli
07-31-2011, 07:56 PM
...and you rock too jelli. Do you ever ride?

I'm so sorry to hear that Cruel Joke had such a nasty accident that has all but stopped her riding.

Motor vehicles vs. HPV's = an unholy mess. :(

Cruel vs SUV definitely not good. I was 3 cars behind her when the accident happened. Luckily I couldn't see. Well, let's get around that experience.

Cruel did purchase me a bike and a trainer. Also bikes for the kid which none of them ride much anymore - between school, jobs, bf/gf's, etc.

My bike is a hybrid. Her name is Flame and she has been dusty for far to long. I am looking to find a class around to show me general maintenance, change a tire(as much as I dread it), etc.

We live in a great area for cycling. George Hincapie lives here in Greenville. George and the US Postal and now Discovery team ride all over our area for training.

Daktari
08-01-2011, 05:12 AM
Oooh it would have been horrible to see the accident.

I feel so very fortunate that I've not had a serious accident on the road in 40yrs of riding a bicycle. Although with the amount of numpties¹ on the roads nowadays it's probably only a matter of time. I encountered 3 yesterday who nearly took me out completely. It was only my good observation and quick reactions that kept me on the bike. It this that made me so concerned when I heard some of our group ride had never ridden on a road before.

Maintenance classes are a great idea jelli but surely riding your bike so that it needs maintenance would be a good idea first. Poor Flame being relegated to the garage with no-one to ride her. Howabout a cycling challenge to add to todays numpty² challenge? Get thee hence to the cycle path and give good old Flame an outing :cheesy:

jelli
08-01-2011, 05:53 AM
Oooh it would have been horrible to see the accident.

I feel so very fortunate that I've not had a serious accident on the road in 40yrs of riding a bicycle. Although with the amount of numpties¹ on the roads nowadays it's probably only a matter of time. I encountered 3 yesterday who nearly took me out completely. It was only my good observation and quick reactions that kept me on the bike. It this that made me so concerned when I heard some of our group ride had never ridden on a road before.

Maintenance classes are a great idea jelli but surely riding your bike so that it needs maintenance would be a good idea first. Poor Flame being relegated to the garage with no-one to ride her. Howabout a cycling challenge to add to todays numpty² challenge? Get thee hence to the cycle path and give good old Flame an outing :cheesy:

Challenge is on. I will report back when she's officially blown off the dust.

whhhhhhiiiiiiishhhhhh...

Daktari
08-01-2011, 05:59 AM
Challenge is on. I will report back when she's officially blown off the dust.

whhhhhhiiiiiiishhhhhh...

WoooHoooo! Happy pedalling :bicycle:

Dominique
08-01-2011, 07:15 AM
. What gloves do you wear Yellow Band? I think I should have a pair of gloves now that I'm doing more mileage, although I am very careful about not putting pressure on my ulna nerve and flex my hands a lot whilst riding.
[/QUOTE]

When I fell off the side of the road, my natural instinct (i didn't remember doing this) was to stick my arm out to break my fall. The glove took the skid very well. I only broke the nail on my little finger. The glove was torn off of my hand and hanging by a few strands but still attached at the wrist
with the velcro strap. Those gloves were Pearl Uzuim. I have since bought another pair. I buy them in the winter from the bicycle catalogs fairly inexpensive on sale for $10.00 They also have terry cloth on the thumb and fore finger sides to wipe away perspiation. I like them too, because I don't want calluses on the palms of my hands. I LOVE the lobster gloves for cold weather riding.

I think every long term bicycle rider has ulnar entrapments. Another reason I don't miss riding stretched out over my handlebars. Sitting straight up, I have some wind resistance, but I'm not racing, it doesn't matter. It's about comfort. I don't care how geeky it looks.:eyebat:

Daktari
08-01-2011, 08:43 AM
I believe I have a slight advantage when falling, even from a bike, in that I was taught how to fall and not stick my arm(s) out when I practiced (and taught) judo. Although that was many moons ago those lessons stick. When I took a little tumble due to a group of peds recently, it was my elbow and knee that took the brunt as I didn't stick my arms out. However, I know in the event of a big tumble or full on crash knowing how to fall wouldn't help one little bit.

I've had loads of problems in my previous serious cycling life with carpel tunnel syndrome and wore wrist splits when riding for ages. Thank the cycling God/desses I'm not having such issues at the moment but my increasing mileage means I would like the extra padding that half decent pair of gloves offers. I will look at the PI gloves. I recently got a pair of PI undershorts and am impressed with the quality.

pajama
08-01-2011, 09:47 AM
Incubus - What are numpties? isaw the footnote number but couldnt find the corresponding reference. :)

Yellow thanks for the recommendation for gloves. I think i would like theterry also.

pardon the bad typing...icing hand while i type. Had 1st "incident" on my bike. TTotally my fault. I was passing a ped on a narrowed bridge on the greenway and got too close to the rail on the left. whacked, i.e. destroyed my mirror and panicked and reached out to (i dobt know what) push off or stop or something. Funny grabing railing when youre moving quivkly will bend ur fingers backwards. LOL

But on a possitive note....rode 9 miles, in higher gears, in shorter time, and didnt have to walk anyof it. Incident occured right at end of ride.

Saturday going riding with some friends out to a little community 10 miles out for breakfast.

'Im lovin riding. Oh! and The Boy may be getting hisnew bike soon, a hybrid, so he can start riding with me.

A

Daktari
08-01-2011, 09:56 AM
Hey there pajara. Here's a link to the numpty definition
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showpost.php?p=389491&postcount=185
The footnote numbers were just counting the number of times I have used numpty/numpties today as I challenged jelli to use the word 3 times today :cheesy:

9 miles wooohoooo...Go you, that's awesome!

Sorry to hear you hurt yourself...here's hoping it's the first of not-very-many.

Happy pedaling

Dominique
08-01-2011, 02:37 PM
In Pennsylvania, that is illegal. Passing a bicyle on the left side of the rider to make a right hand turn. Over the week end, a 48 year old woman, who was training for an upcoming triathalon, was passed by a truck who swung wide, passed her on her left and turned right, the truck clipped the front wheel of her bicycle, throwing her over UNDERNEATH the rear set of wheels of the truck, and yes. She was killed. It didn't matter that she wasn't wearing a helmet. HOWEVER, something Linus spoke about way back in the thread, something I never do, and was sort of shocked that people did, she was wearing an IPOD in both ears and it is assumed she heard nothing. (long sentence)

As much as we bicycle riders complain about the reckless things we see vehical operators doing, we need to be sure we are being smart. I know since Jelli (by the way Jelli, thanks for joining in on the conversation) told us about Cruels BAD accident and nearly loosing her leg, thats been in the back of my mind. Maybe this morning I was feeling a little less cavalier. I know I am not the same from my incident. (it was much more than a broken finger nail). Maybe we should be talking about riding vigilently?

Another thing I've been thinking about today, since I actually made fun of it *outloud* last night in my post....is that BEATER bicycle. Yes, I know it's quirks and can operate it, but the reality of it is- I should either take it to a bike shop and have it repaired properly or donate it to be reconditioned and buy another one. Someone is going to get hurt on it because it is a BEATER.....

Also, as if our law makers have nothing else to do, they want to make it mandatory for bicycle riders to wear helmets. Something they've been tossing around on the floor I'm told.

Daktari
08-01-2011, 03:22 PM
I really cannot comprehend why folks would wear headphones in traffic. No-one deserves to be in an accident but blocking off a whole sense that makes you aware of your environment is a choice you make about your own safety levels.

I believe I am a very canny rider; after so many years in the saddle and a strong sense of self preservation I endeavour to be uber aware of what is going on around me. Especially now there are so many more numpties³ on the roads in bigger and bigger vehicles. The rise of the rather large 4x4 or SUV is in full swing here now.

Yellow Band...don't buy another bike just get that 'beater' repaired. Unless you're looking for an excuse for another new bike...Recycle (pun entirely intended!)

I would be a conscientious objector if helmets were made compulsory - although I think they should be for children. There is no conclusive proof that wearing them saves more lives than when not worn. Although as I have previously stated I am becoming tempted to purchase one due to the road-numpty issue and the slow nature of town cycling, when, I believe, ones noggin may be saved if a collision occurred. On bigger roads and much higher speeds I don't believe that any sort of helmet will help if you hit the floor at speed.

The Helmet Issue divides whole cycling fora everywhere. :cheesy:

Dominique
08-01-2011, 04:27 PM
Even though I wear a helmet, I'm against making it mandatory. I am all for making motorists learn to share the road. I feel that is the bigger problem.

We have police on bicycles and that helps tremendously as they ride bicycles that look much like ours and they wear a *summer* police uniform, if you will, and people really are not looking for them, so some of the non respcting motorists are treated to an occasional big surprise.

Agreed, on the ipod thing. I don't do it while running either. What ever happened to my personal safety. In the gym, yes I do.

Beater Bicycle....well I should include my S/O in this I guess. Maybe if she has a bike she semi sorta likes, she might enjoy riding a little more. She scoffed at kayaking in the beginning too, but now loves it and is pretty good at it. Thats why I'm very patient with the slow riding and the pushing it up hills ect....I'm used to the beater, but she calls it THAT PIECE OF SHIT :|....anyhow, made it home from work....horrendous heat continues. Going to eat more peaches

Daktari
08-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Sadly, I think it unlikely that motorized vehicle drivers as a body would be willing to be educated about their road usage....voluntarily.

Re: the ipod thing....I think I've said before that I do wear one side of my in-ear headphones when riding on non traffic routes.

We have Cops on Cycles here too. Our local Bobbies patrol on bikes.

Soooo get your other half a bike she likes and then you might have a more willing riding partner. I'm sure a kid would love to inherit a fixed up bike to tool around on.

I really need to do a few miles tomorrow if my body lets me. It's been hurting too much today to do anything significant.

Goofy
08-01-2011, 05:38 PM
Hey there pajara. Here's a link to the numpty definition
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/forum/showpost.php?p=389491&postcount=185

Incubus, I'm going to have to steal this word. It is FABULOUS!

jelli
08-01-2011, 08:10 PM
This is a journal posting of Cruel's accident. I know you can wear all the proper equipment, take every safety measure, and still life happens, so just be safe riders!!!!

10-08-2004 08:57 PM
As most of you don't know...

Wednesday night Cruel was cycling to work around 8:30 and was struck by an SUV. What an ordeal.

I needed to come here tonight for support and encouragement for him/me.

::: crying :::

I have never been so terrified in my entire life. Ever!

To come so close to losing the one you haven't had nearly long enough time to love.

I was 3 cars behind Cruel when the accident happened although I didn't see it take place... I was taking his lunch since he had forgotten it on the counter. I thought there must be a dog or something that had been hit. so I pulled over to the side to go see if I could help and I see the the yellow of his helmet...

Cruel hands me a small handful of blood and a tooth that was yanked clear out... and proceeds to ask "How's my bike?"

Cruel was life flighted off the accident scene for fear of left leg damage would lead to loss.

Cruel also made small jokes about "Well, I at least got to ride in a helicopter, although I couldn't see out the window."

I think his humor was more out of worry for myself.

::: jelli to Cruel while in the trauma bay :::

"Baby, let me be strong now. You just focus on getting well."

```````````````````````````
Injuries:

Right ankle in air brace.

Right knee and both palms are road rashed.

Left knee is severely injured. Glove effect to top of knee.

Left inner thigh/knee are had 14 sutures for another gash.

Bruises and swelling over arms and legs.

Face is road rashed, teeth injured, and mouth swollen.

Concussion.

No internal injuries. And they cleared the neck and spine.

We're lucky to have him tonight.

``````````````

Tonight, I brought him home. This is where he wanted to be. This is where they said he'd heal faster. As I sit here, he's lying in bed, drugged and still in pain.

My heart still feeling as if someone is stepping on it.

{{{{{{{{{{Cruel}}}}}}}}}} soul of my soul. How I pray for you. How many deals with the Goddess I have made in the last 48hrs. ::: crying :::

I am at a loss and feeling ever so helpless. I wish I could lift your pain from your mind and body.

Heal fast my love.

I'm right here.

jelli
08-01-2011, 08:11 PM
You might be a cyclist if.......

1. You tell a family of 5 in a crowded mall to "hold their line."

2. Your spouse says "If you buy another bike I'm going to leave you" and you think "I guess I'm going to miss him/her."

3. You have more water bottles than you have drinking glasses.

4. You have more cycling jerseys than work shirts.

5. Your cycling jersey IS your work shirt.

6. Your legs are smoother than your wifes.

7. The nicest pair of shoes you own have cleats in the soles.

8. You have defined the 8 stages of roadkill decomposition through daily observation.

9. You are walking along a street and you signal left.

10.You go to your local store on a bike.

11.You sulk when in cars, on hot days.

12.You sulk when in cars, on cold, windy, snowy days.

13.You get withdrawal symptoms if off the bike for more than a day.

14.When anybody mentions distance you immediately think of how long it would take to cycle it.

15.You point at pot holes, but you are driving in your car alone.

16.While driving your car you yell at your passenger "Car back" as a vehicle approaches from behind.

17.Your bike is worth more than your car.

18.You put more miles on your bike than your car.

19.Your hands have a strange tan that looks remarkably similar to the pattern on your cycling gloves.

20.Weather forecasts can be broken down into 2 categories: good biking weather, bad biking weather.

21.You put your bicycle in your car, and the value of the total package increases by a factor of 4 (or better).

22.You find out you are going to have a child and the first thing you think about is how you will schedule your rides to avoid divorce and still be a parent.

23.You spend 2X the money on cycling wear that you do work clothes.

24. You can tell your wife with a straight face that it's too hot to mow the lawn , then bike off for a century.

25.You dream of winning the lottery and the first thing you think of is how many/which bikes can I buy?

26.You buy a car based on whether or not a bike will fit in the trunk/back, with the rear seat folded down.

27.You open your car window and yell out "On your left" when passing cars on the freeway.

28.You have not one, not two, but three permanent chain ring scars on your right calf.

29.Your bike sleeps with you in the living or bedroom.

30.You wear a heart rate monitor during sex.

31.You check out all other guys/girls legs to see if they are better than yours.

32.Your spouse can't take it anymore and takes up cycling.

33.You wonder why a $500 bike has 24 gear ratios, while a $20,000 car or truck only has 4.

34.You crash...and insist on getting to the bike shop to have your bike checked out BEFORE going to the hospital.

35.You can't seem to get to work before 8:30am, but you don't have a problem meeting your buddies at 5:30am for a ride.

jelli
08-02-2011, 08:46 AM
This was several years ago. Our son, Garrett, cycling on the Skyline Drive near Shenandoah Valley in VA.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j17/jellibe/808a71da.jpg

Daktari
08-03-2011, 03:23 PM
Cycle path/walkers path separated. Bicycles painted on the floor for reinforcement of the idea. Barrelling along at a good pace despite the heavy headwind. Group of folks spanning across walking lane and free running dogs in the cycle lane!!

"Dogs in the cycle lane" shouts I

"The dog doesn't know it's a cycle lane" came the reply.

"Well yeah! but you do you numpty™ ©® why isn't your dog on a lead?" thrown over my shoulder as I sped away to enjoy the rest of my 20miler

Why is it that peds and their pets get the 'God given right' to not have to notice what's going on around them and I, a cyclist abiding by the rules of the cycle paths and roads, have to be responsible for anticipating what those peds/animals/kids/old folks are going to do?

DapperButch
08-03-2011, 06:30 PM
Cruel vs SUV definitely not good. I was 3 cars behind her when the accident happened. Luckily I couldn't see. Well, let's get around that experience.

Cruel did purchase me a bike and a trainer. Also bikes for the kid which none of them ride much anymore - between school, jobs, bf/gf's, etc.

My bike is a hybrid. Her name is Flame and she has been dusty for far to long. I am looking to find a class around to show me general maintenance, change a tire(as much as I dread it), etc.

We live in a great area for cycling. George Hincapie lives here in Greenville. George and the US Postal and now Discovery team ride all over our area for training.

Pssst... my favorite cyclist, aka Big George now rides for Team BMC. His team won the Tour this year! If George rides again next year (and he plans to), he will have ridden in a record 17 Tours!

Medusa
08-03-2011, 06:43 PM
CRAP :(

Someone at work was selling a nice Fuji for $500 and I missed out on it! :(

WAH!

DapperButch
08-03-2011, 06:52 PM
CRAP :(

Someone at work was selling a nice Fuji for $500 and I missed out on it! :(

WAH!

I thought you had your plan in place for a specific bike?

Medusa
08-03-2011, 06:57 PM
I thought you had your plan in place for a specific bike?

I doooooo but this was an amazing deal! This bike was originally $2000 so I would have tried to make it work!! LOL (and probably would have hurtmyself in the process!)

jelli
08-03-2011, 07:20 PM
Pssst... my favorite cyclist, aka Big George now rides for Team BMC. His team won the Tour this year! If George rides again next year (and he plans to), he will have ridden in a record 17 Tours!

Ty for the info!

We've met up with George at several cycling events in S'burg, G'ville, Saluda, etc. They hold the USA Cycling championships here in G'ville. One of his all time favorite training rides for him and his friends is Paris Mtn.

J6mJ5Zvhr7o&feature=autoplay&list=PL0E58CE3BA3C72504&index=6&playnext=2

mountainbikedyke
08-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Great thread!

Impressed that we Nashvillains have enough riders for a pretty sweet cycling club!

Currently in my stable:

2007 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc
2008 Specialized 29er Disc
2003 Quintanna Roo Triathlon Bike

I work in the heat and am so "over" it when I get home that I haven't ridden much this Summer. Will change that in the next few weeks, however.

There is some great riding here in the Nashville area!

DapperButch
08-03-2011, 08:40 PM
I doooooo but this was an amazing deal! This bike was originally $2000 so I would have tried to make it work!! LOL (and probably would have hurtmyself in the process!)

The "best bike" is the bike that "fits" you the best, not the one with the lightest frame or lightest/best components! If you don't have a good fit, you will enjoy the ride less...if you enjoy the ride less you RIDE LESS!

My first bike was a $500 bike. I rode it ALL THE TIME. For years. It didn't matter the heat index. It didn't matter if I was riding through snow (mountain biker here). I was going to be out on that bike!

My next bike was $2,800. It didn't fit me as well, and subsequently, I rode less (well, that and a bit of PTSD from a head on collision with another rider on a trail!)

It is all about fit! And shame to the rider that may have sold it to you unless it WAS a perfect fit!

/lecture.

jelli
08-03-2011, 08:40 PM
There is some great riding here in the Nashville area!

My Cruel did some cycling your way. Have you done any of the Natchez Trace?

pajama
08-04-2011, 07:18 AM
My Cruel did some cycling your way. Have you done any of the Natchez Trace?

I know this was directed at Mtnbike but actually me and a friend are getting a ride on the Natchez together. (It's S's g/f Mtnbike when she gets back in town from her next assignment.) I've driven the Trace many times and it is gorgeous.

Maybe us TN folks should get a fall ride together. :)

A

Oh btw, The Boy got his bike the other day. We went riding this morning. Only a couple of miles 'cause I didn't know what the hand would do. It's a "boxer's fracture" after all, but didn't impede the ride much. But it was an easy course.

Daktari
08-04-2011, 05:02 PM
By jiminy I'm cream crackered! (that's knackered!)

I've been out with the cycle club tonight despite having a wee chest infection. I probably shouldn't have gone but I'm glad I did because it's such a challenge.

The Clarion motto is that they never leave a rider behind, which is a good job because I'm usually the one at the back. Tonight we got split up. The fast guys up front dropped us - that is me, the ride leader and the lovely Sean who keeps me company at the back. We knew we'd never find them so we carried on our own ride.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/th_IMG_0218.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/?action=view&current=IMG_0218.jpg)
Yup, yup I have 'ride hair'.

We were treated to a bit of the old crepuscular action in the sky
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/th_IMG_0217.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/?action=view&current=IMG_0217.jpg)
These are thumbnails, click on them for the full size pics.

The ride was a never ending incline with the wind increasing by the mile - inclines and the wind are serious asthma/copd triggers for me - but I made the 20some miles and now my body has given up for the day and my bed is calling me.

mountainbikedyke
08-05-2011, 06:47 AM
I know this was directed at Mtnbike but actually me and a friend are getting a ride on the Natchez together. (It's S's g/f Mtnbike when she gets back in town from her next assignment.) I've driven the Trace many times and it is gorgeous.

Maybe us TN folks should get a fall ride together. :)

A

Oh btw, The Boy got his bike the other day. We went riding this morning. Only a couple of miles 'cause I didn't know what the hand would do. It's a "boxer's fracture" after all, but didn't impede the ride much. But it was an easy course.

We definitely should plan a group ride! I've been working in the heat so much that I haven't ridden much so it will be good to get my "bike legs" back!

blue-eyed blonde
08-06-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm realize I'm a little late to the party, but I'm super thrilled to find a cycling thread on BFP!

I've always had a bike for general commuting & bopping around town, but in 2007 I bought a road bike so I could ride Ragbrai (an annual 7 day ride across Iowa) with my Dad. We've done it every year since then, and I've definitely been bitten by the cycling bug. I've done rides in Oregon & Arkansas since then as well as lots of riding here in MN.

I had to give up running after back surgery and a fractured ankle (work injuries) and cycling filled the gap for me. I was worried that being bent over on a road bike would be hard on my back but I had the bike professionally fitted and I find it more comfortable than my old upright - for those who have posted they're afraid to be on a road bike or are uncomfortable, there *is* a bike for you - go to a good local shop and try a bunch and when you find the bike you love, get it fitted!

Happy & safe pedaling!

Dominique
08-06-2011, 09:31 PM
Let me be the first to say welcome....the bicycle party never seems to end. Some one is always in the mood to talk about bikes. Right now its way past my bed time and I'll just say welcome before something very non relevant comes off the tips of my fingers.

Daktari
08-07-2011, 02:01 AM
I'm realize I'm a little late to the party, but I'm super thrilled to find a cycling thread on BFP!

I've always had a bike for general commuting & bopping around town, but in 2007 I bought a road bike so I could ride Ragbrai (an annual 7 day ride across Iowa) with my Dad. We've done it every year since then, and I've definitely been bitten by the cycling bug. I've done rides in Oregon & Arkansas since then as well as lots of riding here in MN.

I had to give up running after back surgery and a fractured ankle (work injuries) and cycling filled the gap for me. I was worried that being bent over on a road bike would be hard on my back but I had the bike professionally fitted and I find it more comfortable than my old upright - for those who have posted they're afraid to be on a road bike or are uncomfortable, there *is* a bike for you - go to a good local shop and try a bunch and when you find the bike you love, get it fitted!

Happy & safe pedaling!

Hello, hello and big welcome to our chat about cycling blue-eyed blonde.

I've just googled the Ragbrai...wow that's one big challenge and a great event. How cool that you do it with your Dad. I'd love to do such a supported ride in the future.

I'm real disappointed that I've had to cancel my Sky Ride today. I was to be riding the Lytham Loop ride (just 20miles - a paltry distance for some of you lot) but it's way too windy for this rider with compromised lungs. The wind is one my my copd/asthma triggers and I've had a chest infection this week so thought it better to give it a miss and hope the wind dies down a little for me to get an easy roll out later today.

I posted about Thursday's Clarion ride and how I'm glad I went as it was a challenge. Well, because of that 'wee chest infection' I managed to make myself rather poorly and bed-ridden for most of the day afterwards. In retrospect it was rather silly to go out with the 'real cyclists' with an infection. Lesson learned!

Happy pedaling one an all.

blue-eyed blonde
08-07-2011, 06:41 PM
Hello, hello and big welcome to our chat about cycling blue-eyed blonde.

I've just googled the Ragbrai...wow that's one big challenge and a great event. How cool that you do it with your Dad. I'd love to do such a supported ride in the future.

I'm real disappointed that I've had to cancel my Sky Ride today. I was to be riding the Lytham Loop ride (just 20miles - a paltry distance for some of you lot) but it's way too windy for this rider with compromised lungs. The wind is one my my copd/asthma triggers and I've had a chest infection this week so thought it better to give it a miss and hope the wind dies down a little for me to get an easy roll out later today.

I posted about Thursday's Clarion ride and how I'm glad I went as it was a challenge. Well, because of that 'wee chest infection' I managed to make myself rather poorly and bed-ridden for most of the day afterwards. In retrospect it was rather silly to go out with the 'real cyclists' with an infection. Lesson learned!

Happy pedaling one an all.

Sorry to hear you're feeling bad! For the record, you're a real cyclist no matter what you ride or who you ride with! :-)

Yes, Ragbrai is a very cool ride and I feel blessed to be able to do it with my Dad. In his own words, he's "one tough old bird." This year's Ragbrai was the hardest I've ever done because of the extreme heat & humidity. Iowa's always hot at the end of July, but add humidity to that plus hills & 70 miles a day and it was kinda rough.

Ragbrai is a huge ride - anywhere from 10,000 - 15,000 people ride it every day of the week! I rode Cycle Oregon in 09 and they limit it to 2,000 riders. I can't recommend it highly enough - it was absolutely amazing, both the riding (the toughest but most rewarding I have ever done) and the support (the cadillac of rides IMHO). There's a ride in Nebraska each June called Tour D'Nebraska that takes only a few hundred people; friends have done it and raved about it. Next year I'd like to ride the BRAG - Bike Ride Across Georgia. I've heard good things about it. I've been inspired by a woman I met on my first Ragbrai whose goal was to ride in every state. She's done that now and has moved on to countries!

Daktari
08-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks for that blue-eyed blonde. Yes I am a 'real' cyclist despite not being able to ride as far, as fast or up hills and lacking the disposable income to buy all the lovely kit that the folks at the cycling club have.

I'm in awe of the distances and the large events you ride in. The lady who's riding in every country...has she been to the UK yet? I would love to ride with her. That's a serious amount of people on the road for the Ragbrai, are ya'll riding in close proximity? Is that safe?

One day I hope to do the C2C and JoGLE. I'm not ready for either of them yet though. A more realistic aim is the Manchester to Blackpool ride in Spring next year.
Tonight was a Breeze ride. The women who ride on it are generally new to cycling so I get to help out up front whilst our ride leader keeps the inevitable back marker company at the back.

With the magnificent mountains of the Lake District to the North and the outline of lumpy bumpy North Wales to the South East-ish and a raging sea at high tide it was a dramatic view. It's a pity that my iPod can't capture the majestic mountains of the Lakes
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/th_IMG_0226.jpg (http://s132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/?action=view&current=IMG_0226.jpg)

After last weeks infection it was good to feel strong tonight. At the start of this year the inclines on this route (the longer version of which I do at least twice a week) seemed like major hills and I was really honking up them, even having to stop at times. Tonight however I flew up them and in bigger gears than I ever have. I'm sure the challenge of the Clarion club rides have helped with an increase in my fitness level.

SF_Boi
08-09-2011, 10:05 PM
I've been cycling for many years. It's such a major part of my life, it's my freedom, joy and tons of excitement. Human and the machine, pure beauty.

When I started racing, Eddy Merckx was my hero back then and he still today. I love that man. I learned so much from his style of riding. How he hardly every came out of the saddle, hand placement, body placement, and knowing how far to go.

Enjoy the attached video of the great Eddy Merckx

‪Eddy Merckx‬‏ - YouTube

DapperButch
08-10-2011, 05:37 AM
I've been cycling for many years. It's such a major part of my life, it's my freedom, joy and tons of excitement. Human and the machine, pure beauty.

When I started racing, Eddy Merckx was my hero back then and he still today. I love that man. I learned so much from his style of riding. How he hardly every came out of the saddle, hand placement, body placement, and knowing how far to go.

Enjoy the attached video of the great Eddy Merckx

‪Eddy Merckx‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sziZ6PejrfM)

Yo, SF Boi, how goes it???

Daktari
08-10-2011, 07:17 AM
Hey there and welcome to the cycling thread SF_Boi

Thanks for posting the clip of Le Cannibale...his record of wins in all the great Tours and the Classics puts him way up there with the best. It could be argued, quite easily, that he is the best road racer ever. Although it's hard to seperate Merckx, Hinault and Anquetil.

I remember watching highlights of Eddie's later TdF wins with my Pops.

Daktari
08-11-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm getting fatter by the day! The weather has been appalling since Monday so I've been far too inactive.

Tonight, although the weather wasn't great I just couldn't sit in anymore. I put on my cycling duds and set off for a roll at 20.40pm.

Here's my 17.99mile route
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/45654924

With a slight tail wind I powered on to Lytham, which is up the coast a few miles away. The roads weren't busy so I didn't have to concentrate too much on anything apart from the job at hand, which was getting to my destination as quickly as I could. As I reached my destination the rain set in again. So I took a 10 minute rest stop, changed my jackets around and had a drink, stuck m'hat on and set off back along the coastal route to complete the loop.

The trip back was harder as there was a bit of a head wind and it was raining but I made it. 2 hrs later I hit home on an endorphin high and real glad that I hadn't just sat on my arse all night.

On the way back there were sections of the Blackpool Illuminations being tested. I made a little video to show y'all. S'cuse the heavy breathing and the shakiness - I was on a bike yanno! :rolleyes:
gY831zyRigQ

Dominique
08-11-2011, 08:02 PM
I liked blackpool lumus. Forgive me, I haven't been getting alot of sleep....
where was the camera, I seemed to have missed that part.....were you really riding in the rain, in the dark, with one hand?

Biting tongue!

---

This is a big kick off week end for Bicycle Pittsburgh (i have a couple of rowing conflicts) and now I hear the weather is going to be awful. One of he things the bicycle group is going to be doing, is touring one of our famed cemetaries dressed as zombies ...(on bicycles of course) everything bicycles.

I'll look for some video to post.

Daktari
08-12-2011, 04:26 AM
Yup I admit I was being rather naughty and was riding in the dark, in the (by then rather light) rain, with one hand. I did a risk assessment, was aware of any hazzards and of what could go wrong (I know this route and ride it often). As you can see, only one car overtook me. It was 9.30pm and no traffic was going my way. I wouldn't dream of doing what I did on that road under day-time, or even early evening conditions.

Ohhhh tell me more about Bicycle Pittsburgh. What events are being staged?

We have the big Blackpool Sky Ride on Sunday. Most of the towns roads are to be shut off to traffic and a shed load of cyclists are taking over the roads.

DapperButch
08-12-2011, 05:29 AM
Yup I admit I was being rather naughty and was riding in the dark, in the (by then rather light) rain, with one hand. I did a risk assessment, was aware of any hazzards and of what could go wrong (I know this route and ride it often). As you can see, only one car overtook me. It was 9.30pm and no traffic was going my way. I wouldn't dream of doing what I did on that road under day-time, or even early evening conditions.

Do you use reflective clothing/lights/other things to make you visible at night?

Dominique
08-12-2011, 05:56 AM
I wear high density colored tops for day time riding...you know the ultra bright yellow, reds, and oranges in the wicking material.....

At night I wear a total reflectived vest that is also high desity yellow but filled with these dots that reflect light. The department of transportation workers wear these, and a friend of mine works for the Penna. D.O.T., so he bought me one......it works really well.....

here is a link to Biycle pittsburghs 10 day *everything bicycles*

http://ow.ly/5Wrj9

Daktari
08-12-2011, 05:59 AM
Do you use reflective clothing/lights/other things to make you visible at night?

I do indeed Dapper. My regular cycling jackets and rain jacket all have reflective details. I also have a high vis vest, which, to be honest, I tend not to wear in the summer. I have a flouro flashing led strip for my leg or arm. I also have bike lights (and a spare one clipped to my person quite often) which are set to flash, which I think makes them more visible than a static light.

To be fair, I did know I was taking a rather naughty risk but decided to go for it due to my knowledge of the route, the lack of traffic going my direction and also that there were tram tracks and no junctions on my left. (We drive on the left of course).

I had forgotten how much I like riding urban (well lit) roads at night. I wouldn't ride the unlit country roads, that are not too far from here, at night.

Dominique
08-12-2011, 06:12 AM
Bike Pittsburgh, which I belong too, but I am more involved the the ghost
bike project than any other specific part.....and we are more pro active than just showing up at the scence of a bicycle/ vehical death scene and chaining a ghost bicycle.....we like to think we are more pro active.

---

moving forward. Thru an aggressive letter writing campaign, we were able to get city council to pass an ordinace stating, it's unlawful to bicicle in darkness, without a solid white light on the front of your bicycle and minimum one red flashing light on the back. Our relationship is very co operative.

City council, by the way, like most cities....we have budget troubles, passed an ordinance to install 2000 bicycle racks in the business districts over two years. All parking garages must have 10% of the total amount of spaces be made bicycle acceptable and all new construction must include bicycle parking racks/sheds! Bicyles have come along way in this city. Don't forget, Pittsburgh is mountainous terrain. It's not beach, resort area. And bicycles are popular here. Appalacian Mountains.

Daktari
08-12-2011, 07:07 AM
Bike Pittsburgh, which I belong too, but I am more involved the the ghost
bike project than any other specific part.....and we are more pro active than just showing up at the scence of a bicycle/ vehical death scene and chaining a ghost bicycle.....we like to think we are more pro active.

---

moving forward. Thru an aggressive letter writing campaign, we were able to get city council to pass an ordinace stating, it's unlawful to bicicle in darkness, without a solid white light on the front of your bicycle and minimum one red flashing light on the back. Our relationship is very co operative.

City council, by the way, like most cities....we have budget troubles, passed an ordinance to install 2000 bicycle racks in the business districts over two years. All parking garages must have 10% of the total amount of spaces be made bicycle acceptable and all new construction must include bicycle parking racks/sheds! Bicyles have come along way in this city. Don't forget, Pittsburgh is mountainous terrain. It's not beach, resort area. And bicycles are popular here. Appalacian Mountains.

Do you have a high percentage of deaths on bicycles in your state? How about the whole of the U.S?

How fantastic that you have 'secure' parking in garages. I'm waging a one-genderqueer-battle for the same here in my town. Our council has provided miles of new cycle tracks on the town centre roads (many of us believe some of them to be dangerous though) and lots of new bike parking stands but our thieves are devious and too many bikes go missing from town centre. I want to be able to park my bike in town, somewhere that is CCTVd and patrolled. I am quite happy to pay a sum commensurate with the service provided.

To be fair our town is much more cycle friendly than it ever has been which can only be a good thing. There are lots of folks, like British Cycling and Sky Rides who are doing much to promote cycling around the area.

What is it about cyclists and mountainous areas? My serious cycling back in the day was in hilly and mountainous areas.

Dominique
08-12-2011, 07:30 AM
Do you have a high percentage of deaths on bicycles in your state? How about the whole of the U.S? I have no data to support this, but NO, not many.....one is too many. It's just another effort to encourage vehical operators to learn to share the road. Those stripped down, spray painted white bicycles DO make you (anyone seeing it) think.

How fantastic that you have 'secure' parking in garages.Yes! and no charge.... I'm waging a one-genderqueer-battle for the same here in my town. Our council has provided miles of new cycle tracks on the town centre roads (many of us believe some of them to be dangerous though)That is Next....4 are being layed this summer, in very busy bicycle areas, college towns and main routes into the city and lots of new bike parking stands but our thieves are devious and too many bikes go missing from town centre. I want to be able to park my bike in town, somewhere that is CCTVd and patrolled. I am quite happy to pay a sum commensurate with the service provided. Someplaces are charging a dollar....but council is capping that. I'm fine with paying a dollar for indoor, cctv and an over all piece of mind about my bicycle. Sure beats a few years ago, chaining it to any tree I could find.

To be fair our town is much more cycle friendly than it ever has been which can only be a good thing. There are lots of folks, like British Cycling and Sky Rides who are doing much to promote cycling around the area. Finally, it's progress in the making. It's good that we can see it, and can celebrate it.

What is it about cyclists and mountainous areas? My serious cycling back in the day was in hilly and mountainous areas. Ha Ha, My S/O certainly wonders about this.......I think it's the chanllenge. After all these years, I no longer see these hills.

Daktari
08-12-2011, 07:54 AM
Ha Ha, My S/O certainly wonders about this.......I think it's the chanllenge. After all these years, I no longer see these hills.

I wish. My legs like hills but are far, far stronger than my poor old lungs. So hills, even just inclines, are my bête noire nowadays.

In consultations with your council about the proposed bike lanes I would suggest that they think carefully about making them contraflow at any junctions. If I want to use the cycle lane that by-passes the one way system into town I have to cross two busy junctions in contraflow to the traffic and even me, as a really confident, road aware cyclist, finds it a tad disconcerting. It's going to take the motor traffic a long time to get used to the contraflow.

Apropos chaining bikes up. As we don't have any really safe cycle parking I utilize the centre-of-town-busy-pub ruse. I lock my bike to the railings outside the main windows at one of the Irish pubs in town if I'm to be leaving it for any length of time. It appears to be a pub customers bike and presumably watched over. :winky:

pajama
08-14-2011, 10:45 AM
I discovered today, I do not like hills. Neither my lungs nor my legs. LOL Actually wasn't to bad I say now that I'm on the couch in the a/c. Hadn't ridden much all week 'cause I wasn't sure what the hand would do. But rode 13.5 miles today with Shadows Papa, my ex and her g/f. The weater was really nice this morning and the back country rodes had few cars, we actually passed more cyclist than cars. Hand did fine, thighs a little tired now, but not hurting too bad.

Happy cycling everybody.
A

Diavolo
08-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Hills are your best friend. Trust me on that. I hated them for a long time. As a matter of fact we have an acronym on the Lifecycle. AFH. But hills make you strong, they do wonderful things for your body over time. Hills are your friend.

Dominique
08-14-2011, 01:43 PM
Another
F effen
Hill
?

lol!

Daktari
08-14-2011, 01:46 PM
Hah! Yellow_Band, tha's the one!

Sadly when one has lung disease (proper) hills are definitely NOT best friends...they are there to potentially make one stop breathing...literally! However, efforts must be made to keep trying to get up them even if pushing the bike becomes the only option.

They will get easier Pajara...particularly if you don't have lung disease and continue in your progress in getting 'bike conditioned'. I can get up the 'inclines' around here much more easily than I did a year ago, although 'real hills' still defeat me for the above stated reason. Go you doing a 13.5! :thumbsup:

Brilliant Sky Ride event today with 8km of the towns roads shut off to motorized traffic. It was fantastic to see so many folks riding, from young to old. However, it was quite dismaying to discover how many folks have no idea about riding bikes when there are other people around, let alone thousands of other people. After yesterday's ride again a killer head-wind I only managed a couple of circuits before retiring to one of my favourite cafe bars for beer in the sun with a good friend who's home from Spain for a couple of weeks.

I hope to have recovered sufficiently from yesterday's killer to manage a proper ride tomorrow.

Happy pedaling bikey-folks

Dominique
08-14-2011, 02:31 PM
My mother had emphysema, and so did most of her brothers and sisters. Her father apparently did too. I worried I'd never get that. It didn't help that she smoked like a chimney. She died at age 47. Nothing worse than watching someone literally choke to death. Even way back then...The Dr's told her she had to do things to make her lungs expand.....walk, walk rapidly...leisurely ride a bicycle. Saddly, she did nothing but make [sic] comments about her coffin nails i/e cigarettes.

I, according to my father, was born on a bicycle. I adapted to a two wheeler very young and I rode and rode and rode. I wasn't in a major hurry to drive a car because I took my bicycle every place...Not much has changed. Thats why the hills don't bother me. I hardly ever/almost never use the first five gears on my bike. (not the beater bike, it slips gears on you and you find yourself in fifth gear alot)

It's been raining, heavily at times, today and I didn't go to any bicycle pittsbugh events. In fact took a long 3 hour nap. One of the things I enjoy the most about bicyle gatherings, is the post event refreshment (or what ever...even if its water) You meet all kinds of people, people who look like all the others, and you find this was this first ride.....or another who has been riding 30 years.

I'm attaching my favorite hill clibing event we celebrate every year. It's a little long. Enjoy. Also, you'll get to see what a beautiful city I live in.

Oiu-y-WxHqc

Daktari
08-14-2011, 02:47 PM
I'm sorry to hear that about your parents Yellow_band. I was on course for a similar fate to your Mum, or at least have to carry an oxygen tank by the time I'm 50. Thankfully I've averted that fate for a while longer.

I was one of those 'born on a bike' too. In fact I don't even drive. I used my bike for leisure and transport since I was about 7yrs old (although was riding a bike before then) to being 33/34yrs...and now I'm doing it again.

I get really disheartened when folks tell me that hills are easy and that they just get easier because whilst the teeny slopes do get easier the other ones really don't. Even more disheartening is being dropped by the club ride the other week because I'm slower on the inclines.

Dominique
08-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Thank you Incubus...but you see, I see you as one who gets the point. You are trying to do as much as possible for the sake of your lungs. Every little bit helps. And She was told that (over thirty years ago) too.

Lets face it, hills expand your capacity!....I haven't heard anything on the world news since Friday about the rioting...has it stopped?

Daktari
08-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Thank you Incubus...but you see, I see you as one who gets the point. You are trying to do as much as possible for the sake of your lungs. Every little bit helps. And She was told that (over thirty years ago) too.

Lets face it, hills expand your capacity!....I haven't heard anything on the world news since Friday about the rioting...has it stopped?

I do get the point, sadly I got it way too late; the damage is done and expanded capacity is not possible according to all the medics. Maintaining the (50%) capacity I have is the name of my game, although I'd love the medics to be wrong. I am ashamed to say that I didn't give up smoking when I was first diagnosed. I wish I had but alas one cannot dwell on 'what ifs', I can but work with what I have.

There is no way on this earth that I could ride those hills in your video. I used to be able to many moons ago but such steep feats are a thing of the past. Great video though.

I'm sorry you didn't get a chance to attend the cycling events this weekend.

Yes the rioting stopped after 3 days. The newspapers are still full of stories and articles dissecting the whys and wherefores though.

DapperButch
08-27-2011, 09:36 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cycling/14694430.stm

Alberto Contador's doping hearing at the Court of Arbitration for Sport has been set for 21-24 November.

The World Anti-Doping Agency (Wada) and world cycling's governing body UCI are appealing against the Spanish Cycling Federation's decision to acquit him.

The 28-year-old's case was due to be heard before CAS in June but was initially delayed until August.

The hearing will consider Contador's positive test for clenbuterol after the 2010 Tour de France.

The Spanish rider won that race by 39 seconds, ahead of Andy Schleck.

Contador faces a possible two-year ban and losing his Tour de France victory if the Lausanne-based court finds against him.

He was found to have minute traces of clenbuterol in his urine samples days before the Tour began last July.

Clenbuterol is a banned fat-burning, muscle-building drug, but the Spanish cycling federation accepted Contador's explanation that he had inadvertently consumed the drug in contaminated beef.

Wada regards clenbuterol as a zero-tolerance drug, although its rules allow athletes to escape a sanction if they prove "no fault or negligence" on their part.

Dominique
08-28-2011, 07:25 AM
Early yesterday, we took the * beater bike* to a bicycle shop and donated it. The shop owner told me it wouldn't require much. Then, I had my sweetheart fit for a bike. (geeze, wisdom tooth extraction-minus novacaine would have been easier) after a series of *looks* from me, she chilled out and went with the process. She picked a specialized frame, and to be honest.....I stayed out of this, as this is her bicycle, so I was trying on clothes and keeping busy. They gave her a ton of attention and explained everything....I know she made a few modifications in the handlebars. She is 5 inches taller than me, but not all legs. SO...I really didn't know what she ended getting until we picked the bike up.

They told us they'd have the bike ready around 2p. When we went to pick it up, It was gorgeous. It was a flat black frame, that gradually went to gloss black and right into silver. It had half fenders. And some kind of Led light mounted on the front fender/frame...blended in nicely, and wired to the handlebars with a thumb on/off switch. Colorful tires, black and silver and they seemed to be all season, all terrain, and the utility rack on the back had built on framing for panniers. The best thing that could have happened, did happen. She got on it and rode it! She smiled the entire time.

So we loaded it into her suv and brought it home. And we went for a ride. She actually kept up with me, I wasn't riding at my *alone pace* but we were not going so slowly that I had to keep circling back. WE ACTUALLY RODE. As I was making dinner and her a snack tray to munch on for the steeler game, she said to me *How long until we eat? I'd like to go ride my bike....if you don't mind?* WHY WOULD I MIND????

This morning we sifted through my box full of used and unused bicyle stuff. We have a flashing rear light, a handle bar mirror (the kind that goes into the grip) a really nice waterbottle cage and lots of bottles. One nice hydro
aluminum can).....today I think, we'll get her a top bag. Theres two sets of panniers I use one set often.

I think she likes her bike. We are heading out to the farmers market shortley.

Daktari
09-01-2011, 03:59 PM
Dapper...I can't believe they're dragging his case out so long.

How fabulous Yellow band. Have you both been out riding loads this week?

Only two of us turned up for the Clarion ride tonight. We decided that we'd just have an hour roll around the green bits beyond Blackpool. There were plenty of inclines but I only needed to drop to my granny ring towards the end when there were some rather more challenging inclines/hills. :bicycle: :cheesy:

Dominique
09-01-2011, 05:30 PM
How fabulous Yellow band. Have you both been out riding loads this week?

Hi Incubus! I can't begin to tell you how much this has changed our lives.
My S/O, I'll just call her A. is not on these boards, she's not into the whole B/F thing. But thats the way it is around here. But that is for another thread. Both A. and I had to make career changes in the past two years. Her new career, takes her across the state line. It's about 70 miles. That's a pretty far commute every day, so we set her up in a studio very close to her work. She insists that is all she needs. She leaves Monday morning from this home and returns friday evening. That was a bigger adjustment for me, than my entirely different career path. We do what we have to do.

So, Guess what she did. She took her bicycle with her to the studio. She has never done that before. She rode every night. She's grasping the shifting. She's figuring out the toe baskets have another purpose than to hold your foot on the pedal. She's catching the bug.

She's due in here shortly. I ordered her a rack to pull her kayak, like I have
It came today. We are very close to the river, and the bicycles are much easier than a car.

WINNING! She sent me an email and a couple links of a pumpkin leisure/race day in central Pa.(in Oct) She wants to do the 5k leisure on bicycles and the kayak run on the susquehena river. I think we should race kayak tandeum. She is an engine in a kayak, she's much stronger on her strokes than I am.

We(in the thread) talk about it all the time, get fitted for a bicycle. Yet, she was riding my bikes and really not having any fun. She is five inches taller. OK, so we raise the seat...It's not the same. And it was so evident when she took HER bike for a test spin at the bike shop.

So I'll be riding my rock hopper (the one that is currently living in the dining room) speaking of that....she said to me last night.....Please think about selling your old car so we can use the garage for the smart car and all of these toys. Funny, I wasn't thinking about that when I ordered that rack for the kayak.....

Sorry, it wasn't my intention to go on and on about this, but my dream has come true....she reiterated to me, *Don't even think about it, I am not running with you*:weedsmoke:

Daktari
09-01-2011, 06:27 PM
That's awesome Yellow Band. Can certainly understand the studio idea. I'm stoked for you that your partner is 'catching' the passion.

As my bike is second hand and made for someone other than me I think a fitting would be somewhat redundant. For me, I love riding no matter what I'm riding. I was having a ball riding a battered old, far too large for me, fused front sus forked hybrid before Lady H came to me. I loved riding that old hybrid ....why? because I was out in the fresh air getting fitter, healthier and feeling like a kid again. Riding makes me smile regardless. :cheesy: Although after saying that, if I am ever in the position to have a bike built for me I would do it without hesitation.

Happy pedaling fellow riders.

atomiczombie
09-05-2011, 07:52 PM
http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/atomiczombie/gay1.jpg

lettertodaddy
09-05-2011, 08:17 PM
I just got my fat butt on a road bike for the first time ever today (I don't count the yellow Sears ten-speed I had when I was a kid). Man, is it ever different from my 45 pound steel Dutch bike that I ride everywhere.

As I get older, I'm looking for ways to get fit that are kinder to the joints, and I think road cycling and weight training will be what I use to get me more fit as I get older.

I never ever thought I'd be on a road bike, and I'm a little stiff right now to tell you the truth, but I'm going to have the bike professionally fitted at a sports medicine clinic, and start with shorter rides to build up my endurance. I'm excited.

Dominique
09-06-2011, 07:54 AM
I have not, until I read this

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/06/science/06accident.html?_r=1

Daktari
09-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Wooohoooo! lettertodaddy that's ace...I wish you many happy miles pedaling.

I have not, until I read this

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/06/science/06accident.html?_r=1

Are you anticipating having accidents? :eek:

Dominique
09-07-2011, 07:12 AM
Are you anticipating having accidents? :eek:

No, Incubus. I am not. Hopefully, my wipe out of the life time has come and gone.

My boss sent me this link. I asked her [the same question] you asked me.

Her response, as she was pouring coffee was this. When you find yourself on some ladies hood, and your head is going thru her windshield. Just because you said, if you can still talk, she was eating an egg mcmuffin, talking on her phone and ran the red right,that won't be enough.long sentence You will have to prove it, or you'll wind up paying for your own medical bills. This is what the insurance industry has become. [note all the reference to bad woman drivers]

Initially I was going to retort, Oh not the scum bag ambulance chasing, leisure suit wearing-used car sales mbehaving attorneys? This is an ongoing we banter her and I
have. But she is a litigator, makes a living convincing people the blue sky is purple. I've learned to pick and choose my arguments with her....at least once a week she goes on a tirade about some sleaze ball attorney who needs
an ethic investigation, so I'll slide it in then.....:eyebat: she likes toy bitching......it gets her away from the drama of the theatre that automatically comes with the job.

I did note these GPS's are $700......(heck, a pretty decent bicycle is $700)

atomiczombie
09-12-2011, 06:34 PM
I just got the bike of my dreams as an early birthday present! 2009 Electra Rat Fink.

http://i813.photobucket.com/albums/zz56/atomiczombie/Fink.jpg

DapperButch
09-12-2011, 06:37 PM
I just got the bike of my dreams as an early birthday present! 2009 Electra Rat Fink.

That is freakin' AWESOME dude! Welcome to the club!!!! :hangloose: :happyjump:

Daktari
09-16-2011, 07:45 AM
Fabballus new steed there atomiczombie :thumbsup:

SF_Boi
09-16-2011, 07:01 PM
The weekends here, I'm heading out to the valley to do some flat riding. I need some heat and sun!

I'm also looking for a new saddle for the Merckx. I'm thinking of a brown leather Brooks.

Whatever you're doing, have a great time, stay safe and hit the hills for me!

SF_Boi :detective::police:

Daktari
09-16-2011, 07:09 PM
The weekends here, I'm heading out to the valley to do some flat riding. I need some heat and sun!

I'm also looking for a new saddle for the Merckx. I'm thinking of a brown leather Brooks.

I like the classic lines of the Brooks...which model? B17? I'd love a Colt. Enjoy your ride SFBoi. I haven't ridden properly in over a week, I need to blast my legs out this weekend if the rain stops. :blink:

DapperButch
09-16-2011, 07:11 PM

Ouch. I MUCH prefer a cut out in my saddles!

Daktari
09-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Ouch. I MUCH prefer a cut out in my saddles!

You can get a cut out Brooks nowadays Dapper. The brown and honey coloured Brooks' allegedly 'break in' quicker according to the guys on the CTC (Cycle Touring Club of Britain) forum.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/saddles/brooks-b17.html

I've had problems with cut-outs. Errrm bits of me fall through them in a most disturbing and numbing way when doing proper mileage. :|

Dominique
09-17-2011, 05:16 AM

I love these rims/ wheels with color. My s/o's new bicycle has colored *rims*....Now, I look at that long chain and how low that sits to the ground, do you ride it like a recumbant bike? It's like nothing I have ever seen! Making me like it even more. Have you been out on it yet Drew?

DapperButch
09-17-2011, 07:09 AM
You can get a cut out Brooks nowadays Dapper. The brown and honey coloured Brooks' allegedly 'break in' quicker according to the guys on the CTC (Cycle Touring Club of Britain) forum.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/saddles/brooks-b17.html

I've had problems with cut-outs. Errrm bits of me fall through them in a most disturbing and numbing way when doing proper mileage. :|

You know, I had absolutely no idea. Shows what I know!

I have always viewed the Brooks saddles to be gorgeous, though. And they say when they are broken in, there is nothing more comfortable.

In terms of the cut outs...bear in mind that I mountain bike, so I am sitting up straighter. I can see how I may have a different opinion if I was road biking. Interesting.

Good to connect with you, Incubus. Hope you are well, my friend!

Daktari
09-17-2011, 09:58 AM
You know, I had absolutely no idea. Shows what I know!

I have always viewed the Brooks saddles to be gorgeous, though. And they say when they are broken in, there is nothing more comfortable.

In terms of the cut outs...bear in mind that I mountain bike, so I am sitting up straighter. I can see how I may have a different opinion if I was road biking. Interesting.

Good to connect with you, Incubus. Hope you are well, my friend!

Good to connect over bikes again too Dapper. I hope to be well soon. :| I hope all is well in your world.

Yanno there's a big mythology about Brooks saddles but when it really comes down to it, they're not for everyone. Some folks never get along with them no matter how 'superior' they're cracked up to be. I'd still like to try one though but can't decide which model to go for. I've been offered a womens B17 at less than half price which is tempting but worried the nose would just be too short.

I'm probably in a similar riding position on my tourer to you Dapper. I don't use drops and keep relatively upright so as not to stress my neck...it may be the cut-out saddle I rode for quite a while just didn't suit me and my physiology.

Daktari
09-25-2011, 11:05 AM
Wotcha fellow pedalers.

I've barely done any mileage apart from essential transport trips for almost a month :blink: I really need to get my ass in gear and put some miles in before the weather turns wintery.

In between appointments on Tuesday I noted that my tyres needed some air. The rear tyre wouldn't inflate and finally deflated totally upon disconnecting the track pump. I couldn't work out why it wouldn't pump up. There was only one thing for it, I had to attempt a rear wheel removal to investigate the issue further. Plenty of curses later, the wheel was finally disengaged from the drop-outs and derailleur.
Whilst unscrewing the locking nut (or whatever it is) that screws over the valve, the valve pulled out of the tube. What a good job I'd bought a spare recently. I struggled a little getting the tyre to seat properly around the new tubes valve but took my time and made sure I did the job properly so as to avoid potential pinch punctures. It was then time to tackle replacing the wheel and faff with getting the chain back on. I ended up oily and rather chuffed with myself at having finished the job successfully.

It's not very long ago that I would have paid someone to do the job.

Go Me! :fastdraq:

atomiczombie
09-26-2011, 02:12 AM
I love these rims/ wheels with color. My s/o's new bicycle has colored *rims*....Now, I look at that long chain and how low that sits to the ground, do you ride it like a recumbant bike? It's like nothing I have ever seen! Making me like it even more. Have you been out on it yet Drew?

Yes ma'am I have been riding it quite a bit actually. You sit on it like you would a chopper motorcycle, if that helps. It's got ape hanger handlebars that are about shoulder-height. The crank is forward, so you can sit low to the ground but still it doesn't feel cramped to pedal. It's got a shimano nexus 3-speed rear hub, and the gearing is just fine for me. I mostly stay in second. 1st gear is only for hill climbing (and theres not hills around here), and 3rd is if I really want to go fast. It's an absolute blast to ride and I love it. :)

Daktari
09-29-2011, 05:54 PM
Woot! Finally, after a month of being a seriously hacked-off hermit and hiding under the duvet, I've managed to get off my arse and on my bike to do a couple of rides of 10 or above miles.

We're having a lovely Indian Summer here this week, it's sunny, warm and folks are smiling. I had decided that yesterday would be my first ride back after my errrrm 'sabbatical' and arranged to meet one of last years classmates, Marc, at the top of his road (a 3mile ride for me to get there) and we'd tootle off along the seafront (NCR 62) until we wanted to turn back. We had a tail wind. We turned back at Fleetwood golf course into a vaguely evil headwind. T'was quite a tough journey back and by the time I hit town for coffee with The Fag Father I was a breathless, sweaty mess. T'was a good ride! :D

I aim to get another 10+ in tomorrow too as I go for surgery on Saturday. Nothing too big, only an overnighter, but will have me off my bike for a fortnight; for transport trips as well as leisure.

I wanted to share this with you. I wish I'd made it longer as the evening light was lovely.

Turn the volume off if you wanna watch it - all you can here is wind.

1m3fRHCCfbY

Coming back the sunset was wonderful, sadly my pictures don't reflect how fab it was.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/IMG_0390.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q8/scoobs63/IMG_0396.jpg

SF_Boi
09-30-2011, 09:33 PM
I just got back from Lake Tahoe and Donner Lake area, what a fantastic time! The weather was great, the trails were out of this world, good food and good beer! My legs feel like lead, my back is killing me, I have a crazy tan lines, but I have a big smile on my face. Hope everyone is doing well.

SF_Boi
10-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Well, I picked up the S17B saddle....OMG! What a beauty! On my first day, I went out on a 27 mile ride, I was sliding a bit but it was doable. The next day I went on a 42 mile ride, I could feel the saddle softening and loosening up and the sliding stopped. I'm very happy with this little investment. I can't wait for the coming weekend.

atomiczombie
10-04-2011, 09:59 PM
Well, I picked up the S17B saddle....OMG! What a beauty! On my first day, I went out on a 27 mile ride, I was sliding a bit but it was doable. The next day I went on a 42 mile ride, I could feel the saddle softening and loosening up and the sliding stopped. I'm very happy with this little investment. I can't wait for the coming weekend.

Wish I could afford a Brooks saddle for my Rat Fink. If I could, I would get a B67. Damn, they are pricey!

lettertodaddy
10-04-2011, 10:27 PM
I bought a Brooks B67 S Aged saddle for my Batavus Fryslan (dutch bike) and while I love it, it is squeaky as all get out! It starts to squeak for no apparent reason, and just like that the squeaking will go away for awhile.

The Aged saddles have been pre-treated, so there's next to no break-in period. My saddle was comfortable from the first day.

I don't know if I'll get one for my road bike. I need to spend a little more time with it to see if that's what I need.

DapperButch
10-05-2011, 05:44 AM

Is this the B17 S Select?

SF_Boi
10-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Yes, I transposed the letters again, sorry. I just got back from a ride about an hour ago. What a wonderful saddle.

I was also looking for a "throw down" bike for the more inclement weather times. I saw a MASI with Shimano parts, Mavic wheels, not top of the line parts, but that's not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for another bike so that I don't trash the Merckx.

It's been beautiful in the Bay Area, I'm trying to do as many miles as I can before the weather changes.

Take care everyone and happy trails.

DapperButch
10-09-2011, 07:59 PM
I haven't bought a saddle in a long time, but every time I got a new bike, I would put a Terry saddle on it.

http://www.terrybicycles.com/Saddles

I used to wear their shorts exclusively, as well. (the t-short, specifically. With real chamois. ahhhhh....memories).

Diavolo
10-14-2011, 06:45 AM
I saw several Brooks saddles on the AIDS/Lifecycle last year. I've been thinking about it, good to see you've had good results.

I lost my mind and signed up for the ride again. I kind of lagged through September but it's time to take my training up a notch or two.

Around here the best place to train is Mt. Diablo. Ride that once a week and the ride is going to be fine. I've just got to juggle my schedule a little with the shortening days. And be careful on the downhills when it's raining.

Dominique
10-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Around here the best place to train is Mt. Diablo. Ride that once a week and the ride is going to be fine. I've just got to juggle my schedule a little with the shortening days. And be careful on the downhills when it's raining.

Hello Wine DOG!....hey, let me show you some of the hills we have here, it's an older post, i'll just bring it up for you to look at! How's life?

Dominique
10-14-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm attaching my favorite hill clibing event we celebrate every year. It's a little long. Enjoy. Also, you'll get to see what a beautiful city I live in.

Oiu-y-WxHqc

It just reminds me, snow is knocking on the Door!

SF_Boi
10-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Diavolo, you are absolutely correct on the ultimate hill training. Mount Diablo is a crazy training hill. I usually use the Marin Headlines because I like the views, cows, coffee stops!

Have you ever hear of the NorCal Aids Bike Ride? It's a multi day ride, but in the valley area (Sacramento, Davis). I'm thinking of doing a ride, I just need to make sure it does't come too close to my holiday time.

Hi Yellow Band, I really love that video. The guy that puts on the ride is a cookie! Love the hair cut! Too many years of wearing a helmet.

Take care everyone! Happy riding.

SF_Boi
10-28-2011, 04:07 PM
I just test rode my new "throw down bike" for the coming winter. The Trek 2:1
I'm getting it at a very good price (>$1000), it has "okay" components, it's light in weight and I won't feel bad for trashing it. I changed in bars and put clipless peddles. I pick it up tomorrow and go for a ride to break it in!

SF_Boi
12-03-2011, 12:33 AM
I guess everyone is asleep for the winter! Well, it was a very beautiful day in San Francisco. I did a 44 mile route in Marin, CA. It was great! I hope everyone is doing well and talk with you all soon.

Dominique
12-03-2011, 05:55 AM
This is the first of 12 hills on the ride dubbed the DirtyDozen. This particular hill is in my neighborhood. More people fall than actually make it up the hill. You can not pull on the handlebars, as the hill is so steep, the front tire will lift off the road surface and you fall, It's hard to not pull.

BlEsjwMCfzg&feature

DapperButch
12-03-2011, 08:08 AM
This is the first of 12 hills on the ride dubbed the DirtyDozen. This particular hill is in my neighborhood. More people fall than actually make it up the hill. You can not pull on the handlebars, as the hill is so steep, the front tire will lift off the road surface and you fall, It's hard to not pull.

BlEsjwMCfzg&feature

Wow, that was great to watch. Thanks for posting. Of course, it took me until minute 6 to figure out that turning down the sound would save my ears from that annoying cow bell! :blink:

Reminds me of the time with one of my friends on the trail. She and I were still relatively new mountain bikers. She was in front of me heading up a hill. It was like slow motion, her front tire lifting up...I swear it looks like she completely flipped backwards. It wasn't a big deal since we were just on dirt, but I can still see it. Funny.

Diavolo
12-03-2011, 10:08 AM
It's on again. Today I start my training in earnest for the AIDS/Lifecycle. 545 miles from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Ready, set, go.

Dominique
12-03-2011, 04:27 PM
Wow, that was great to watch. Thanks for posting. Of course, it took me until minute 6 to figure out that turning down the sound would save my ears from that annoying cow bell! :blink:

Reminds me of the time with one of my friends on the trail. She and I were still relatively new mountain bikers. She was in front of me heading up a hill. It was like slow motion, her front tire lifting up...I swear it looks like she completely flipped backwards. It wasn't a big deal since we were just on dirt, but I can still see it. Funny.

:sunglass:It is like falling in slow motion. That's me at the base of the hill around 4:00, I have the high density yellow vest on and the red helmet. I clearly fall in slow motion. I eventually made it up, but didn't see it on here. Did you see the tandum bicycle at 5:46.....KOOL. First time we had a tandum climbing the dirty dozen.

I don't know if the cow bells are a Pittsburgh thing or not. They come to the races too. I recall hearing the cow bell at Pitt's Wm BB games...Anyhow, at least it was warm this year. Last year we had snow.

DapperButch
12-03-2011, 04:48 PM
:sunglass:It is like falling in slow motion. That's me at the base of the hill around 4:00, I have the high density yellow vest on and the red helmet. I clearly fall in slow motion. I eventually made it up, but didn't see it on here. Did you see the tandum bicycle at 5:46.....KOOL. First time we had a tandum climbing the dirty dozen.

I don't know if the cow bells are a Pittsburgh thing or not. They come to the races too. I recall hearing the cow bell at Pitt's Wm BB games...Anyhow, at least it was warm this year. Last year we had snow.

I would expect you have to have your tempo just right and have just the right line to get up that sucker. Impressive you did so!

Yes, I noticed the tandum. Very cool!

As an aside, I walked a new trail today with my dog. It was really nice out. Warm sun, about 63 degrees. Made me really miss my bike! I need to get back out on that dirt!

Dominique
12-03-2011, 04:54 PM
As an aside, I walked a new trail today with my dog. It was really nice out. Warm sun, about 63 degrees. Made me really miss my bike! I need to get back out on that dirt!

Did you see the guy wearing the Pig nose? Well, you are outside and walking distances. That will soon lead to the bicycle. I'm glad to hear this!

DapperButch
12-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Did you see the guy wearing the Pig nose? Well, you are outside and walking distances. That will soon lead to the bicycle. I'm glad to hear this!

Yes, I loved that!

Also, thank you. It was a solid 50 minutes up and down a pretty steep hill (wooded area). I called my g.f. afterwards and told her how great it felt to be able to do that much for that long. And of course the dog was thrilled!

mplsgrrl
12-03-2011, 06:30 PM

BlEsjwMCfzg&feature

That was AWESOME to watch!

Dominique
12-30-2011, 10:50 AM
Look at this cool Christmas present I got. I'll only use it a few times, BUT
it was a wonderful way to make a donation to an organization I am involved in (Bike http://bike-pgh.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/valet1.jpgPittsburgh) In the mean time, I'll pontificate about the day when I can bicycle up to the door at work and have my Bicycle VALET parked. Happy New Year Too!

SF_Boi
01-08-2012, 09:36 PM
Well, what can I say? A 45 mile ride through the North Bay, almost 70 degrees, great tan lines! I'm in heaven! I've been racking up the miles weekly because it's been great weather. I know we need the rain, but damn it's been so nice to ride with a short sleeve jersey, shorts and regular gloves.

Hope all is well with everyone and I hope everyone had a great holiday.

DapperButch
02-04-2012, 08:51 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/03/lance-armstrong-doping-investigation-dropped-no-charges_n_1253621.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D132686

SnackTime
02-04-2012, 11:50 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/03/lance-armstrong-doping-investigation-dropped-no-charges_n_1253621.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl4%7Csec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D132686

Its about DAYUM time!

Dominique
02-19-2012, 09:06 AM
lWKDQnTAZno

DapperButch
02-19-2012, 10:23 AM
lWKDQnTAZno

Love this! Had me smiling the whole way through. Are you connected to this book in some way?

Dominique
02-19-2012, 10:37 AM
Love this! Had me smiling the whole way through. Are you connected to this book in some way?

Emotionally only! It [the link] was sent to me via twitter along with an ad for tubo tax. The book will be out soon so us seasoned riders can give it to our newbie friends who are going to convert to bicycle commutes.

I expect there will be quite a bit more as gasoline inches up to $5 a gallon.

I thought I'd share the trailer.

DapperButch
02-19-2012, 10:40 AM
Emotionally only! It [the link] was sent to me via twitter along with an ad for tubo tax. The book will be out soon so us seasoned riders can give it to our newbie friends who are going to convert to bicycle commutes.

I expect there will be quite a bit more as gasoline inches up to $5 a gallon.

I thought I'd share the trailer.

Yes, I saw where it said it is coming out in Spring, 2012. I tucked that into the back of my head as something to look for in a month or two. Thanks.

DapperButch
02-19-2012, 11:19 AM
In case anyone missed it, Contador was stripped of his titles. Retroactive two year ban ends in August, 2012, so obviously he will not be riding in the Tour this year.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/contador-appeal-doping-ban-retire-15531558

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/more-sports/interviews/Contadors-absence-will-not-make-Tour-easier-for-Schleck/articleshow/11945235.cms

SnackTime
02-19-2012, 01:34 PM
In case anyone missed it, Contador was stripped of his titles. Retroactive two year ban ends in August, 2012, so obviously he will not be riding in the Tour this year.

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/contador-appeal-doping-ban-retire-15531558

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/more-sports/interviews/Contadors-absence-will-not-make-Tour-easier-for-Schleck/articleshow/11945235.cms

I don't agree with the retroactive two year ban, especially since he was able to participate in cycling events during 2011. To me, that is no ban

DapperButch
02-19-2012, 06:59 PM
I don't agree with the retroactive two year ban, especially since he was able to participate in cycling events during 2011. To me, that is no ban

Any titles that he won over that time were removed. However, I personally would like to see it going forward, as you suggest.

SF_Boi
02-20-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm a real hard ass about drug use in sports. Cycling is very, very close to my heart and has been for many years. I personally believe anyone and I mean anyone found to be using banded drugs should never be allowed to race again.
That is my opinion and I take responsibility for my opinion. I LOVE CYCLING!

SnackTime
02-20-2012, 07:53 PM
Any titles that he won over that time were removed. However, I personally would like to see it going forward, as you suggest.

Exactly @ going forward! There are other sports that do not allow the athlete to participate period(for example, Ramirez was suspended for 50 games).

SF_Boi
02-24-2012, 10:22 PM
I have a question for everyone, has anyone had any issues with the joint on the "big toes"? I'm talking about the joint located at the ball of the foot. I'm almost positive it's from my cycling shoes. I wear Specialize, they're about 4 years old. I've had a "fit kit" done for cleat adjustment, I've loosen up the velcro straps so that there is no pressure and the main strap is never too tight. How I know it's from cycling is because when I'm off the bike for about three days, my toes feel no pain. Open to advise.

Luckydwg07
04-22-2012, 11:50 AM
I have a question for everyone, has anyone had any issues with the joint on the "big toes"? I'm talking about the joint located at the ball of the foot. I'm almost positive it's from my cycling shoes. I wear Specialize, they're about 4 years old. I've had a "fit kit" done for cleat adjustment, I've loosen up the velcro straps so that there is no pressure and the main strap is never too tight. How I know it's from cycling is because when I'm off the bike for about three days, my toes feel no pain. Open to advise.

SF I have that pain in both toes there is a name for the condition. I got in from years of over flexing when I walked -ran at work. Seems that all my stress I put on my feet. I still walk a lot at work now and I feel it when I'm in a hurry. It doesn't hurt all the time but when I massage my feet. & get to the under part of the big toe joint I hit the roof. Very painful. Its not in any of the othet toes
I can't wear flip-flops anymore pain start at ten paces when i wear them. Ill find out the name. Btw it doesn't happen when I'm hiking ( no stress) :)

Dominique
04-22-2012, 12:40 PM
It's earth day and 41 degrees. I refused to take the car grocery shopping so I put on my winter coat, gloves and rode my bicycle.

In January, a 41 degree day would seem balmy.:seeingstars:

JAGG
04-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Here is my problem with riding my bike. I am a runner and I run almost everyday. I have never had this problem when I run. But when I ride my bike, I set out on a course I map for myself , for example 7 miles then turn around come back. But what happens is I can never gauge what is a good distance for me that day. I always end up going out and I feel good then I turn around and seems like I lose my energy and it's like a biking marathon to get home. Or I do the opposite , I am almost home but I feel like I can go for 10 more miles. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions. It's so much easier to know how far I want to run on any given day, the second I put my running shoes on I make that decision.

DapperButch
04-22-2012, 01:14 PM

Sorry I didn't see this before now. No, I have never had this problem. However, I have had the problem of all of my toes going numb. I started getting a larger shoe, always wear the thinnest socks (even in winter), and making sure the velcro straps are quite loose. I have always assumed it was a wide foot thing, as this has helped some. I hope your problem has resolved itself.

DapperButch
04-22-2012, 01:17 PM
Here is my problem with riding my bike. I am a runner and I run almost everyday. I have never had this problem when I run. But when I ride my bike, I set out on a course I map for myself , for example 7 miles then turn around come back. But what happens is I can never gauge what is a good distance for me that day. I always end up going out and I feel good then I turn around and seems like I lose my energy and it's like a biking marathon to get home. Or I do the opposite , I am almost home but I feel like I can go for 10 more miles. Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions. It's so much easier to know how far I want to run on any given day, the second I put my running shoes on I make that decision.

I'm sorry, but I don't have an answer for you. I only do trail riding and somehow I just "know" what I can handle that day. I guess it is like your running? Have you not been riding long? Maybe it is just getting to know your body or something?

Diavolo
04-22-2012, 08:14 PM

Your shoes are too old for one, but I am going to guess that you're hitting the pedal wrong or, have sciatica. I have sciatica in my left leg and my left food will cramp regularly. It's not the shoes, the fitting, but it happens on climbs.

Diavolo
04-22-2012, 08:16 PM

Someone as strong as your are, I would suspect that the real issue is nutrition, you're just bonking because you aren't used to how to do it on a bike. You have to sip some water every 10 minutes and I usually sip some electrolytes every 15 minutes. I eat something every 45. All that and I hit the wall brutally on the AIDS/Lifecycle training ride today. Too hot and I didn't have enough electrolytes.

SF_Boi
04-22-2012, 09:13 PM

My week consists of riding my road bike four days and running three days with two separate days for rest. So my week really consists of nine days and I leave my rest days open. I usually do 40-65 mile rides after a rest day.

When I run, I'm pushing only myself, my body and the forces of nature be it gravity, rain, wind warm weather. But when I'm cycling, I'm pushing myself and my machine on two tires (110 PSI) against all of the above and the Laws of Physics. Make sure your nutrition will feed you, keep you strong and injury free.

I always route out my rides. I also have different rides within rides. I can decide to do a 20 mile ride, if I fell strong I can mix in a 5 mile extension or if I'm feeling crazy and I'll go across the bridge and do a 40 miler. I also throw in a favorite place to stop for lunch,coffee, bike shop, or just little distractions to make my rides fun and enjoyable because that is why I ride. Hope this helps?

DapperButch
04-30-2012, 04:06 PM
http://autos.aol.com/article/video-bike-cam-captures-hit-and-run-accident/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl16%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D156511

It almost looks like it was done on purpose (I don't believe that is the thinking, though).

Also, butch content (in the video), for those interested.

Dominique
05-01-2012, 05:08 AM
http://video.bicycling.com/video/Best-Dog-Ever-Dog-Guards-Owners;Bicycling-Crashes-Playlist?cm_mmc=Twitter-_-Bicycling-_-Content-Video-_-dog-guards

DapperButch
05-01-2012, 05:35 AM
http://video.bicycling.com/video/Best-Dog-Ever-Dog-Guards-Owners;Bicycling-Crashes-Playlist?cm_mmc=Twitter-_-Bicycling-_-Content-Video-_-dog-guards

This is fantastic! Thanks for posting.

Dominique
05-06-2012, 03:40 PM
B3_dl0hs0Bk

Diavolo
05-07-2012, 10:03 PM
http://autos.aol.com/article/video-bike-cam-captures-hit-and-run-accident/?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl16%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D156511

It almost looks like it was done on purpose (I don't believe that is the thinking, though).

Also, butch content (in the video), for those interested.

I know that part of Old Tunnel. It wouldn't be my first choice for routes, yikes!

Dominique
05-12-2012, 03:14 PM
http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/578235110.jpg?key=7651024&Expires=1336857865&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=je~zQEBS7P9skGOyDV4ydScfu3qPfDU7fo3Z8S3s rE2lky76ILJcKCBRHZFt-8ZpzoaRbLYLgXOD6OvkACGsdHfsFZkgbyQHlmh358Xlq7wQ8XW cLhqsnrD~VmRNcnQBANAIHseFFwLZjhn3X76i6RogY5ZJJgZab JXLwCGUhXY_

Dominique
05-27-2012, 05:03 PM
This Is How We Ride... http://fb.me/1OZR7kjY8 (http://fb.me/1OZR7kjY8)

:koolaid: