PDA

View Full Version : *SC Exploration*

jelli
07-11-2011, 09:59 AM
Curious if anyone has been getting out to explore our great state?

Hiking? Kayaking? Camping?

Have you found any places worth sharing?

clay
07-11-2011, 10:29 AM

Hi Jelli:
I am a native Upstate SC gal! Many, many great lakes, waterfalls, and parks to explore there!!! I lived in the lowcountry area for many years also....it is awesome to explore also. Esp. the ACE Basin (Ashepoo, Combahee, and Edisto Rivers). The waterways of the lowcountry provide many tributaries, estuaries, and basins to kayak and explore. Hunting Island is an incredible state park and is wonderful for looking for sea turtle nests...these are endangered so can't be touched BUT are amazing to see! The upstate has many hiking trails, state parks, and an abundance of places to see and do. Table Rock is neat! There are so many more...so explore, have fun, and enjoy all the smiling faces, beautiful places!!! Clay

clay
07-11-2011, 10:31 AM

Oconee S.P. Billy Dreher Island S.P., South Cove....great camping areas!

jelli
07-11-2011, 04:30 PM
Hello there Clay,

Thanks for the response.

We absolutely love Hunting Island. We have taken the kids and kayaks there several times. We were even fortunate to see the nested turtles oh and one raccoon bigger than a toddler.

We spent about 5 days on the Edisto(only one of which I kayaked because Cruel scared the crap out of me and I thought I was going to be eaten alive. How was I supposed to know it was merely a can of diet vanilla coke rolling around in the bottom of my kayak. :blink: There's a great little place near the Colleton State Park where you can pull out and get some cold beer and hot friend chicken. Major Aaaaaaahhhhhhh after a long day.

We just got back from a week on the New River(NC/VA), Nice trip too.

Oconee S.P. is nice! We also like Lake Jocassee. Ever been there?

BTW We live near Table Rock.

clay
07-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Hi Jelli:
You are most welcome!
Yes I have been to Lake Jocassee...but it has been years, I was in the area Rescue Squad for 12 years in my hometown...so I made many trips up to the falls for rescues...
You can go down "Winding Stairs" road above Walhalla and park there....there is a neat little area with rocks and water flowing over the Chattooga...wade out in it...trout fish..spend the day there...nestled under the soft moss on the banks, and the tall Southern Pines...drop a watermelon at the edge of the bank in the water. and retrieve it later...cold as ice. Good for water and sodas, too. I loved going there to trout fish, and cook them right there near the water....you ever go to the Fish Hatchery there...it is awesome also. In fact they have some incredible trails in there to explore.
I hiked Kennesaw Mountain back in the mid 90's..went all the way to the top....I was so psyched...a debilitating injury to right leg from a horrible motorcycle accident in 2006 has left me unable to do that anymore....:(. I worked at GMH for several years on the Ortho Unit! I loved Greenville....esp. Freedom Weekend Aloft!!!! Lived over on Cleveland....my first foray when I came out was ....Club Gemini...remember that? Then Stone Castle...lol....talk about fun times in the "old days"....lol. If you ever get a chance, go by Split Creek Farms in Pendleton..very dear friend owns and operates it with her partner...do you remember Kenn from WYFF4? He is an old HS bud and is now in NY! He and Carol Anderson & Mike Seidel all worked at WYFF...all old friends...the DOPPLER! lol....I best be careful, as I am dating myself here......lol...I have always wanted to go to Noccalula Falls in Alabama and camp.....there is a huge waterfall there...have you ever seen it or been there?
Have a wonderful day....and thanks again for this lovely and so reminiscent post.....LOVE all the places you mentioned...ClayHello there Clay,

Thanks for the response.

We absolutely love Hunting Island. We have taken the kids and kayaks there several times. We were even fortunate to see the nested turtles oh and one raccoon bigger than a toddler.

We spent about 5 days on the Edisto(only one of which I kayaked because Cruel scared the crap out of me and I thought I was going to be eaten alive. How was I supposed to know it was merely a can of diet vanilla coke rolling around in the bottom of my kayak. :blink: There's a great little place near the Colleton State Park where you can pull out and get some cold beer and hot friend chicken. Major Aaaaaaahhhhhhh after a long day.

We just got back from a week on the New River(NC/VA), Nice trip too.

Oconee S.P. is nice! We also like Lake Jocassee. Ever been there?

BTW We live near Table Rock.

jelli
07-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Hi Jelli:
I worked at GMH for several years on the Ortho Unit!

Did you ever know a Dr. by the name of Campbell?

jelli
07-12-2011, 05:09 PM
http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/neri/pics/neri_frommoje.jpg

http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/neri/main.php

jelli
07-09-2013, 08:28 PM
Did you ever know a Dr. by the name of Campbell?

I asked this because he has known our family for years. One of our boys still works in his farm.