PDA

View Full Version : 30 Minutes or Less

LaneyDoll
08-11-2011, 08:39 AM
"30 Minutes or Less" (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1622547) is a new release at theaters this weekend. It is a pretty controversial movie in that the premise of the move (whether intentional or not) is based on true events. In the movie, two would-be criminals kidnap a pizza delivery guy, strap a bomb to him & force him to rob banks. While the real life events (http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory?id=14250423) seem uncertain about the pizza delivery man's unwillingness to participate in the crimes, it still raises a controversy.

Today at work, a young co-worker and I were talking about the movie. She is excited to see it and thinks it will be hilarious. I am opposed to supporting any endeavor that makes light of such a situation-especially one where survivors are left behind to relive the tragedy again & again.

While I have seen movies that offer a satirical look at crimes (think "The Positively True Adventures of the Alleged Texas Cheerleader-Murdering Mom") I am bothered by the release of "30 Minutes or Less."

As such, I was wondering about how others feel about movies made that cast a humorous light on a tragedy such as the one involving Brian Wells (especially one that took place less than 10 years).

Gráinne
08-11-2011, 11:41 AM
I don't like turning a tragedy into a money-making venture in any case. I dislike it when something horrible happens and suddenly it's a movie on TV the next week.

Having said that, I too saw the cheerleading mom story and thought that was hilarious. I understood it was a satire of the whole cheerleading culture in Texas (and let's face it, the South ;)). And thankfully, no one was hurt.

I also have to say I've laughed at Hogan's Heroes-and I'm a convert to Judaism! I do think one way we deal with a great tragedy such as that war is to laugh. It was a controversial show, but distant enough in time by then that it could be made.

One author in my hometown of Cleveland wrote a series of books about disasters and crimes in the city's history (my favorites ;)), but had a rule that he would not write about anything more recent than 50 years, because of the possibility of survivors and family members still being around. So he wrote about some things in the early 1960's at the latest.

That's my philosophy about any movie about tragedy or crime-make it very distant. Hence I'd probably see a comedy about the Titanic, and I don't have moral problems with making a movie about that disaster (and obviously many have been made). Good Morning Vietnam was hilarious, too, but not without its controversy. I think that was O.K. and distant enough in time. M*A*S*H is a classic, funny show about Korea. But Afghanistan or Iraq are too recent, even though I predict one day we'll see comedies based there.

Did that get to what you were looking for? And BTW, I've forgotten to ask-I've hoped that you and your kin are all right from the tornadoes earlier this year :(.

LaneyDoll
08-11-2011, 12:40 PM
That's my philosophy about any movie about tragedy or crime-make it very distant. Hence I'd probably see a comedy about the Titanic, and I don't have moral problems with making a movie about that disaster (and obviously many have been made). Good Morning Vietnam was hilarious, too, but not without its controversy. I think that was O.K. and distant enough in time. M*A*S*H is a classic, funny show about Korea. But Afghanistan or Iraq are too recent, even though I predict one day we'll see comedies based there.

I agree-timing is everything. I think that a comedy about 9/11 would raise serious protest. And rightfully so because the event is so fresh and the survivors still dealing with reprecussions. As it is surely with Mr. Wells' family.

And BTW, I've forgotten to ask-I've hoped that you and your kin are all right from the tornadoes earlier this year :(.

Yes, we are fine-thank you for asking. The tornadoes cut a path through my hometown (within a mile of my home) and you can still see the aftermath to this day. My son recently showed me, using Google Earth, the scars left carved into the land. It is heartbreaking. But we are lucky :)

:sparklyheart: