PDA

View Full Version : Second Class Citizens - The Gay Rights Movement

SmoothButch
01-19-2012, 08:31 PM
I haven't seen this posted elsewhere so forgive me if so.

I have watched this video several times. Ellen has tweeted about it and it has almost 2 million views in just a few days. I'm curious as to everyones thoughts.

u62OtM_vt5k

CherylNYC
01-19-2012, 08:40 PM
WOW! Wonderful film.

durrrrrrrr
01-19-2012, 08:42 PM
all i can say right now after watchin this video once, is WOW. I have sooo many thoughts and feelings right now, I am for sure going to have to watch this several times...I feel speechless.

thank you so much for posting this video

1QuirkyKiwi
01-20-2012, 05:13 AM
WOW! A massage that is echoed around the world!

Honey
01-20-2012, 05:43 AM
This is soo fucking sad I could cry....breaks my heart

*Anya*
01-20-2012, 06:29 AM
I haven't seen this posted elsewhere so forgive me if so.

I have watched this video several times. Ellen has tweeted about it and it has almost 2 million views in just a few days. I'm curious as to everyones thoughts.

u62OtM_vt5k

So tremendously sad. I came out in 1978 and it is hard to fathom how far we still have yet to go.

We are truly one of the last remaining minorities in which it is still socially acceptable to discriminate and even more than that, encouraged to do so.

Thank you for posting this.

CherylNYC
01-20-2012, 10:21 AM
So tremendously sad. I came out in 1978 and it is hard to fathom how far we still have yet to go.

We are truly one of the last remaining minorities in which it is still socially acceptable to discriminate and even more than that, encouraged to do so.

Thank you for posting this.

I agree that we're the last remaining minority that suffers from legally enforced discrimination, but there are others for whom pervasive, daily discrimination is socially accepted and encouraged. People of size are often mocked, shamed and bullied, just as we are.

SuddenlyWestFemme
01-20-2012, 10:48 AM

Wonderful and disturbing footage.

And yes, it is so odd that it is still acceptable to discriminate against us so openly! In fact, when a politician FINALLY changes a vote (as our WA governor did) and says they can no longer support discrimination and have changed their vote to 'yes' for some gay right or other (marriage equality for our governor) - it still is not a huge celebration internally for me - because I can't help but think 'why the heck did these educated people ever have it at no!!!!'

Honestly, so sad that we still have so far to go. And yes, we can collectively celebrate when our president gets rid of "don't ask/don't tell" but at the same time lets not forget that he does not believe in marriage equality (at least publicly). I get the arguments that he needs to be 're-elected' but geesh!

I'm glad I will be around when our government no longer discriminates against the queer community in its laws. Yep - there will still be bigots, but I am pretty sure that the bigoted laws will change over the next 10 or so years.

starryeyes
01-20-2012, 10:51 AM
I think it looks amazing. I know the filmmaker is asking for donations to help fund this film. I Hope it comes to fruition!

:-D

Honey
01-20-2012, 11:25 AM
I grew up in nice little neighborhood just south of Boston Mass. I knew the same kids my whole life. One day the gang came to my house to swim. One of the boys came in to use the bathroom...I did not know he was in the house and he caught me kissing this girl ( butch ) in my kitchen...I was 18 yrs old. That night, my car was lit on fire and my butch gf got her house spray painted in ten story lettering, on all four sides , DYKE. I will never forget the sound of her voice the morning she called to tell me. I went over to help them wash their house...her dad looked crushed and I swear he had aged 20 years overnight.

Homophobia is alive and unfortunately thriving !

*Anya*
01-20-2012, 11:27 AM
I agree that we're the last remaining minority that suffers from legally enforced discrimination, but there are others for whom pervasive, daily discrimination is socially accepted and encouraged. People of size are often mocked, shamed and bullied, just as we are.

Absolutely true but straight people of size in every state in the union can legally marry.

Ministers do not stand up in pulpits and exhort the congregation to discriminate and worse, against people of size, etc., etc.

I wrote "one of the last remaining minorities" because clearly lesbians and gays are not the last remaining.

Just want to point that out.

SmoothButch
01-20-2012, 12:24 PM
I think it looks amazing. I know the filmmaker is asking for donations to help fund this film. I Hope it comes to fruition!

:-D

He is on Kickstarter and his goal of 50k has been reached (within a week!) His budget is set at 150k total for everything and the last I saw he has almost reached that goal.

People are excited and they want to back this idea. From this video alone it looks like it will be an excellent film come January 2013.

What perfect timing as well to help spread our message this election year.