PDA

View Full Version : Rosie...what the hell?

DapperButch
02-16-2012, 06:50 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/15/little-people-rosie-odonnell-chelsea-handler_n_1277510.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D136050

This is simply horrifying. I am actually speechless.

Julie
02-16-2012, 07:03 AM
Dapper...
This entire article and video is beyond disturbing.
Seriously.
Not something I would have thought would have come out of Rosie's mouth.

Cin
02-16-2012, 07:06 AM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/15/little-people-rosie-odonnell-chelsea-handler_n_1277510.html?icid=maing-grid10%7Chtmlws-main-bb%7Cdl3%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D136050

This is simply horrifying. I am actually speechless.

Ya, they both said some pretty horrifying stuff. I can't imagine what Rosie was thinking to say stuff like that. Did she really think it was okay? I guess she did. That's just disturbing.

The_Lady_Snow
02-16-2012, 07:29 AM
They're both gross and i HATE how Handler treats Chuy, its degrading fetishsizing, and ickie..

DISLIKE!

luv2luvgirls
02-16-2012, 07:49 AM
wow... this is just so disturbing to say the least.
how could handler say its child abuse :blink:

that has me open mouthed and just speechless... wow!

Thank you dapper for posting this I had not seen it and just wow SMH

Greyson
02-16-2012, 07:51 AM
I try to watch the OWN as much as possible. I want to support Oprah and all the great work she does. I have also tuned into the new show Rosie has on OWN. I have noticed this week, Rosie's show has not been aired this week. I wonder if it is related to this or just poor ratings.

I regret that neither of these two women were able to have a conversation that would have been an honest conversation and a learning morment for them and many others.

deedarino
02-16-2012, 08:00 AM
"those kind of people"???

Disgust. She should know better.

macele
02-16-2012, 08:39 AM
they didn't choose their words wisely. and since they didn't take the time to do that, ... this conversation should have been a private one. an open minded person (some pretend to be) would never say things like this, ... unless they just get careless. this is careless.

rosie likes drama. i definitely think of her as someone who often doesn't choose her words wisely. on purpose? that's the ticket.

you know, we aren't perfect. but being considerate of anothers feelings, ... these two have been around for a long time not to know this was a stupid conversation. grabbing at anything for ratings, i suppose. sad.

Hollylane
02-16-2012, 08:52 AM
These two receive a big 0 in my book now. Absolutely appalling. That was an excellent way to piss me off with my first cup of joe.

genghisfawn
02-16-2012, 09:03 AM
These two receive a big 0 in my book now. Absolutely appalling. That was an excellent way to piss me off with my first cup of joe.

Yes... first cup of Joe and I'm already appalled.

I have a special needs brother and I've worked with special needs people as a caregiver. For Rosie to admit that she has mild anxiety around little people is, to me, actually not that big of a deal. If, by off-chance, she's not especially familiar with, say, how she would accommodate a little person in her home or on her show, that would cause some anxiety as she may be unwilling to cause anyone more distress than she absolutely must. Of course, this goes out the window as the conversation goes on, but somehow I think Chelsea Handler led the discussion there and it didn't necessarily have to be said or engaged.

I sometimes wish more people would be honest about their anxiety in dealing with what may offend, what to expect, how to accommodate someone, etc. rather than just shout at deaf people or treat everyone in a wheelchair like they have an untestable IQ.

The way the conversation turned, though... I could not believe how they completely infantilized and degraded little people like that. To me that was beyond drama - it seemed like casual cruelty for the sake of viewer reaction, and it sure got a reaction out of me. I'll always respect someone's right to an opinion, but that doesn't mean I'll have respect for them for their opinions.

Hollylane
02-16-2012, 09:08 AM

I have a special needs brother and I've worked with special needs people as a caregiver. For Rosie to admit that she has mild anxiety around little people is, to me, actually not that big of a deal. I sometimes wish more people would be honest about their anxiety in dealing with what may offend, what to expect, how to accommodate someone, etc. rather than just shout at deaf people or treat everyone in a wheelchair like they have an untestable IQ.

The way the conversation turned, though... I could not believe how they completely infantilized and degraded little people like that. To me that was beyond drama - it seemed like casual cruelty for the sake of viewer reaction, and it sure got a reaction out of me. I'll always respect someone's right to an opinion, but that doesn't mean I'll have respect for them for their opinions.

Very well said, I agree completely. I also think your coffee has more kick than mine.

Scuba
02-16-2012, 09:23 AM

DITTO :| :|

Prudence
02-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Once again.. open mouth, insert foot. :deepthoughts:

Apocalipstic
02-16-2012, 09:49 AM
Wow.
Was this actually on TV?

Kobi
02-16-2012, 11:12 AM
I am pleased to see the LPA using this as an opportunity to teach both parties and the rest of us as to why and how this bizarre conversation is offensive.

Hopefully, this might lead to more on air opportunities to talk about the fears, phobias, misperceptions, myths, and curiosity people may have about those different from themselves. Of course this requires including those who are capable of leading a discussion in a constructive and instructive way.

A bizarre discussion between two ill informed people is not likely to lead to an AHA! moment for anyone.

Dude
02-16-2012, 12:20 PM
I never have understood that woman treating that man as her gimmic.
Do neither one of them have people in their life to say helloo or excuse me?
PR people, agents ,producers or lastly friends who say wow this is fucked
up and let me tell you why.
I think they are both extremely arrogant and ignorant which is a shame
because they both have power and influence. Compassion is seriously lacking in their core to go on the way they did. So, not funny.

Leigh
02-16-2012, 01:16 PM
That is completely disturbing! I've never been a fan at all of Chelsea but Rosie? I *never* in a million years thought that I would ever hear something like that come out of her mouth. I even showed my family here that and no one gets it either, so I really don't know what to think except I'm not impressed at all.

Corkey
02-16-2012, 01:30 PM
Not a fan of either one of them, as humans their brains must have been out to lunch. Disgusting on so many levels.

princessbelle
02-16-2012, 01:34 PM
Not a fan here either....of either/or.

Just makes me sick.

Gráinne
02-16-2012, 02:00 PM
This was on the OWN network? Just what Oprah needed after the Twitter flap. I'm not a fan of the network or Oprah, but as Rosie's "boss", that can't be good news for a network already in deep trouble.

suebee
02-16-2012, 03:33 PM
What can I say? This was a pretty unfortunate conversation to have on television. In private - okay. But Rosie often gets herself in trouble for having those conversation on-air. But on the other hand, that's what I like about her. She's honest and open - uncensored for the most part. If she'd been having this discussion with someone who was a bit more informed on the issue it could have turned out completely different.

Handler's attitude towards little people, on the other hand, seems to be well-ingrained and I find her pretty damned annoying. Why Chuy doesn't tell her to stick her attitude where the sun don't shine is anybody's guess. She doesn't seem to have any clue whatsoever.

But honestly - to call this horrifying.....I was expecting something at LEAST up to the "standard" of what Republicans are saying everyday. Let's face it: what was said was ill-informed and naive, poorly thought-out and sometimes even offensive, but horrifying? I'll save that kind of descriptive for other things.

Words
02-16-2012, 03:57 PM
The exchange was disgusting. All of it.

Shame on them.

Soft*Silver
02-16-2012, 05:41 PM
they both need their mouths and brains washed out with soap...

julieisafemme
02-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Actually I did find this conversation horrifying. I don't know Chelsie Handler but I have always liked Rosie and have been happy to see her back on TV. It was horrifying to me to hear her, a lesbian, disparage another group of people like so many disparage LGBT people. What she said is no different than what a Republican would say about LGBT people or people of color. Being afraid of a group of people or anxious about being around them does not make it ok to say these things.

What can I say? This was a pretty unfortunate conversation to have on television. In private - okay. But Rosie often gets herself in trouble for having those conversation on-air. But on the other hand, that's what I like about her. She's honest and open - uncensored for the most part. If she'd been having this discussion with someone who was a bit more informed on the issue it could have turned out completely different.

Handler's attitude towards little people, on the other hand, seems to be well-ingrained and I find her pretty damned annoying. Why Chuy doesn't tell her to stick her attitude where the sun don't shine is anybody's guess. She doesn't seem to have any clue whatsoever.

But honestly - to call this horrifying.....I was expecting something at LEAST up to the "standard" of what Republicans are saying everyday. Let's face it: what was said was ill-informed and naive, poorly thought-out and sometimes even offensive, but horrifying? I'll save that kind of descriptive for other things.

suebee
02-16-2012, 11:35 PM

Actually I did find this conversation horrifying. I don't know Chelsie Handler but I have always liked Rosie and have been happy to see her back on TV. It was horrifying to me to hear her, a lesbian, disparage another group of people like so many disparage LGBT people. What she said is no different than what a Republican would say about LGBT people or people of color. Being afraid of a group of people or anxious about being around them does not make it ok to say these things.

I think I said that it wasn't an appropriate conversation to have on television. I guess I work from the premise that we are imperfect human beings - works in progress. If Rosie is nervous around little people, then that's just her being honest. It may not be PC to say, but it's being absolutely honest. What is unfortunate is that she 1) had this conversation on air, and 2) had this conversation with a person who obviously looks down on little people. If she'd had the conversation - even if it had been on air - with someone who had a more respectful opinion of little people, the conversation would have quite possibly given an entirely different impression.

I operate from a place where I assume people are imperfect. We fuck up at times. Rosie, unfortunately, does it with a huge audience. While I can't approve of what she said, I can certainly understand that it is all too human to be afraid of people/things/experiences that you're not personally familiar with, and form opinions based on indirect experiences. That's not "horrifying", it's human. Not the best side of being human. But just being human all the same.

There were fifty kinds of horrifying things that I read about in the news this morning. Rosie and Chelsey being politically incorrect on television didn't rate among them. Little People of America have called them on their shit. Hopefully they'll learn a little sensitivity from the experience. And with any luck, the resulting publicity will make more people think about something they wouldn't otherwise have considered.

Humans being humans and hopefully evolving: That's what this is all about. You have every right to think this rates as horrifying Julie. We just disagree. I'll save that adjective for later on. I'm sure I won't have to wait long to be able to use it.

julieisafemme
02-16-2012, 11:54 PM
I guess I don't see what Rosie said as politically incorrect. It is just wrong. It's horrifying to me precisely because she said it on TV on a show that is ostensibly on the air to entertain people. That is pretty horrifying lack of judgement to me. This is supposed to be the "new" Rosie show because I guess the format she had in the beginning was not getting ratings. The fact that she thought this conversation would be helpful in getting ratings is also horrifying.

Of course we are all works in progress and human. Rosie is not my friend or loved one and so I guess I am not as forgiving or open to her mistakes as I would be to others in my life. This is an entertainment show that lots of people watch. She did bot choose to have this conversation privately. It is the fact that she or anyone would consider this entertaining in any way that is horrifying. The very ordinariness of it.

I think I said that it wasn't an appropriate conversation to have on television. I guess I work from the premise that we are imperfect human beings - works in progress. If Rosie is nervous around little people, then that's just her being honest. It may not be PC to say, but it's being absolutely honest. What is unfortunate is that she 1) had this conversation on air, and 2) had this conversation with a person who obviously looks down on little people. If she'd had the conversation - even if it had been on air - with someone who had a more respectful opinion of little people, the conversation would have quite possibly given an entirely different impression.

I operate from a place where I assume people are imperfect. We fuck up at times. Rosie, unfortunately, does it with a huge audience. While I can't approve of what she said, I can certainly understand that it is all too human to be afraid of people/things/experiences that you're not personally familiar with, and form opinions based on indirect experiences. That's not "horrifying", it's human. Not the best side of being human. But just being human all the same.

There were fifty kinds of horrifying things that I read about in the news this morning. Rosie and Chelsey being politically incorrect on television didn't rate among them. Little People of America have called them on their shit. Hopefully they'll learn a little sensitivity from the experience. And with any luck, the resulting publicity will make more people think about something they wouldn't otherwise have considered.

Humans being humans and hopefully evolving: That's what this is all about. You have every right to think this rates as horrifying Julie. We just disagree. I'll save that adjective for later on. I'm sure I won't have to wait long to be able to use it.

Sheridan
11-01-2013, 03:00 AM
I am not a fan of Rosie, she just has a lot of issues with human interactions. Rosie can be extremely gross and rude. Not a fan. :mad: