PDA

View Full Version : Household hints and cleaning recipes!

girl_dee
02-22-2012, 03:39 PM
Questions, answers and tips here!

lot's of folks in the craft thread had some great ideas, so here we go!

LaneyDoll
02-22-2012, 03:50 PM
One of my faves...

Vinegar in laundry! Add about 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar to the last rinse. It is too mild to harm fabrics, but strong enough to dissolve the alkalies. It also whitens whites, brightens brights and makes black less blah. AND, it acts as a fabric softener and static reducer; using it will actually make your towels softer. Plus, it helps with the bad smells like smoke etc. Finally, it works on clothes that have mold or mildew (for anyone who has forgotten about a load of wet clothes in the washer).

:sparklyheart:

Novelafemme
02-22-2012, 03:53 PM
One of my faves...

Vinegar in laundry! Add about 1/4 cup white distilled vinegar to the last rinse. It is too mild to harm fabrics, but strong enough to dissolve the alkalies. It also whitens whites, brightens brights and makes black less blah. AND, it acts as a fabric softener and static reducer; using it will actually make your towels softer. Plus, it helps with the bad smells like smoke etc. Finally, it works on clothes that have mold or mildew (for anyone who has forgotten about a load of wet clothes in the washer).

I never knew this. Thank you for sharing :)

I use vinegar to clean my stainless steel appliances. It gets even the hard water marks off without having to scrub and it leaves everything shiny and streak-free.

girl_dee
02-22-2012, 03:53 PM
Essential oils in the bath! i love eucalyptus for my breathing and lavender is the best for relaxation.

i put a few drops in and the whole house smells great :)

LaneyDoll
02-22-2012, 03:54 PM
I never knew this. Thank you for sharing :)

Anytime! For the price, you cannot beat it. I actually keep my vinegar in the laundry area-not the kitchen.

1QuirkyKiwi
02-22-2012, 03:58 PM
Red wine spill on carpet? Douse with soda water then dab with layers of paper towel. Continue until no colour shows on the paper towel.

Line the laundry baskets with a couple of sheets of paper towel sprinkled with tea tree oil to keep nasty smells at bay.

A box or small bowl of baking soda in the refrigerator, freezer, or any cupboard will keep away unpleasant odours. Similarly, baking soda will keep away garbage odours; sprinkle the bottom of the pail, and then sprinkle again after you put a new bag in.

To remove stale smells from food containers, rinse out with hot water and baking soda. If the smell persists, let the container soak overnight in the baking soda and water mixture.

For burnt-on food in the bottom of pots, sprinkle with baking soda, and then add hot water. Let soak overnight; the dried on food will come loose much more easily.

Baking soda in the litter tray will help prevent odours.

Add a few drops of Essential oils to a damp cotton wool ball and put it in your vacuum.

Add a few drops of Essential oils to a wet wash cloth and place in your dryer.

girl_dee
02-22-2012, 04:01 PM
i do the essential oils in the vacuum but never thought about the dryer!

Herne is my favorite for the floors, a few drops in the water bucket is great.

girl_dee
02-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Anytime! For the price, you cannot beat it. I actually keep my vinegar in the laundry area-not the kitchen.

i will try this!

LaneyDoll
02-22-2012, 04:09 PM
Ok, more laundry stuff-kind of.

Laundry sheets uses:

~put in your pocket to help repel mosquitos
~tuck under the seat of your car to help the scent stay fresh
~wipe across hair when static is an issue
~stash in the lingerie drawer for body-friendly sachets

TimilDeeps
02-22-2012, 04:12 PM
Use an iron, paper towels, and a paper grocery bag to remove candle wax.

paper towels directly on wax then cover that with the grocery bag. Iron the grocery bag until wax melts and is absorbed by the paper towels.

girl_dee
02-22-2012, 04:13 PM
a pumice stone will make the toilet shiny and new, and anything else with water scale.

it's non abrasive and words great to erase those lines.

girl_dee
02-24-2012, 08:46 AM
cleaning and laundry day so i'm using vinegar, i can't stand the smell of Febreeze (which is the most toxic item on the shelf) or most cleaners, all they do is mask odor.

Truly Scrumptious
02-24-2012, 09:01 AM
Do you have any of those storage things in your shower that stick on the wall with suction cups? If they keep falling off the wall, wipe the back of the cups and the wall with vinegar, wet the suction cups with water, and stick back on the wall . . . they will stay put.

Also, after we had a bathroom repainted I noticed some paint splatter on the chrome towel racks. Guess what took them right off? Vinegar. Plus I noticed how shiny the towel rack was becoming . . . so I cleaned the faucets with vinegar too!

And . . . if you have any stinky kitchen smells (think fish), a small bowl of vinegar left sitting on the counter will get rid of the smell quickly.

dark_crystal
02-24-2012, 09:27 AM
thehairpin.com is tolly awesome in every way, but they have a feature called "Ask a Clean Person" that is awesome

here is the archive

http://thehairpin.com/tag/ask-a-clean-person

bonus: THE COMMENTS on any hairpin post can easily become the best part of your whole day

girl_dee
02-25-2012, 08:27 AM
oh yes and a small bowl of vinegar can help soak up stinky smoke smells and other general icky smells.

girl_dee
02-25-2012, 08:28 AM
thehairpin.com is tolly awesome in every way, but they have a feature called "Ask a Clean Person" that is awesome

here is the archive

http://thehairpin.com/tag/ask-a-clean-person

bonus: THE COMMENTS on any hairpin post can easily become the best part of your whole day

What a cool site! Thank you!

RockOn
02-25-2012, 09:11 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you Cajun_dee for this topic!
Though I do not have time to hang out here online today, I am commenting so I can easily find this place again.

Off now to do woodworking outside today. It finally quit raining and I must complete my storage room shelves that I started weeks ago. Excited because I can take stuff out of my kitchen like crockpot, veggie steamer, etc. and put in storage room - free up kitchen space. Plus, it is fun to build useful things. :)

Happy day to all! (f)
Brock

Andrea
02-25-2012, 09:51 AM
Vinegar is miracle stuff.

Another use: run through the coffee pot to clean out water scales, etc. I run a pot with a 1/4 cup vinegar and then two water pots to rinse. The water is used on the potted plants on the front porch.

asphaltcowboi
02-25-2012, 10:07 AM
hmm i have found that a can of coke is helpful to remove grease (from working on cars) .. i put a little in my laundry and it takes hard grease stains out of my levis..have to re wash but the stains are gone. same with tracked in grease on carpet..pour some coke on it let it sit a lil then scrub with a brush then just warm soap an water.
also tooth paste for those white rings on tables (from hot coffee cup an stuff). the regular crest. a dab on my finger ..work it into the wood until the burn is gone.

um also mayo.. when a cigg burn is in carpet or upolstery.. run some mayo on it it will break up that black burn stuff

Electrocell
02-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Red wine spill on carpet? Douse with soda water then dab with layers of paper towel. Continue until no colour shows on the paper towel.

You can also pour regular table salt on red wine spills this absorbs it then just vacuum it up.

deedarino
02-25-2012, 10:48 AM
One of my faves...

This is so wonderful! Adding a little essential oil with will make your clothes smell amazing.

Vinegar will also attract those pesky fruit flies. They dive right in to a little cup left on the counter.

PaPa
02-25-2012, 12:11 PM
Ok, more laundry stuff-kind of.

Laundry sheets uses:

~put in your pocket to help repel mosquitos
~tuck under the seat of your car to help the scent stay fresh
~wipe across hair when static is an issue
~stash in the lingerie drawer for body-friendly sachets

I have also found that dryer sheets are good for dusting furniture and television screens...anything that usually gathers dust. The fabric softener in the sheet works as a dust repellent.

Also using cooled cigarette ashes mixed with a little bit of water on water stained end tables or coffee tables will remove those white spots.

Toothpaste is an excellent cleaner of silver jewelry. You must brush lightly with a toothbrush because it can be abrasive.

Use a rubber glove to help grip and open tough to open jars. Also if you put it under hot water it helps to break the seal.

Hard to clean shower doors? Use WD 40 applied to a cloth and be careful not to get it on the tub or floor surface because it will make it slippery. But it will clean the hard to get off soap scum.

A clogged drain? 1 cup of baking soda followed by 1 cup of hot vinegar (heated in the microwave) Wait a few minutes and then follow with two quarts of hot water. The reaction of the baking soda vinegar boils out anything that is in there...it's temperature helps as well.

Also you can remove odors from a garbage disposal in the sink by running through some citrus.

Coat a deck of old cards with baby powder to make them slippery again.

Ever wonder why they sell bunches of daffodils together without other flowers?? Do not mix cut daffodils with other flowers as there is a toxin that daffodils produce that will kill the other flowers.

Vinegar water (1/2 cup vinegar to 2 cups water approximately - more vinegar if the glass is very dirty) and old newspapers for cleaning windows for a streak free look.

Crayon on walls? WD 40 or a hair dryer which will help to melt the wax base of the crayon and assist in wiping it off.

Pen or pencil marks on the wall. Cloth dipped into milk and wipe it off.

Clean brass with lemon juice.

Remove chewing gum with peanut butter. If on clothing put it in the freezer and then scrape it off.

Rubbing alcohol to clean flat topped stoves.

Clean the microwave...I always hated this job until I found this! Cut up one lemon and add one cup of water in a microwave safe bowl. Heat for five minutes. It will loosen any stuff from the inside and you can just wipe it out with a cloth. It gets rid of the grime while adding a fresh scent.

I guess that is all from me for now. I have learned many tricks of the trade over the years. I did janitorial work for many years. Hope these help y'all. If I think of more I will post again later.

The JD
02-25-2012, 12:36 PM
Am I the only one who gags at the smell of white vinegar? My parents used to run it through their coffee maker once a month to make their coffee taste fresher (yet another use for it), but I HATED those days. I'd run for the jar of Vick's salve and rub some on my upper lip to fight off the smell and the gag reflex (years later, I discovered that forensic scientists used Vick's in exactly the same way, to mask the smell of decomposing bodies... it seems I was on to something. Wait, does that count as a household cleaning tip?).

Anyway, I want to like the smell of vinegar. I do. It's clearly the miracle cleaner, and way better for the environment. But thanks to my nose, just not *my* environment. :(

julieisafemme
02-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Wow! My favorite subject is cleaning! Great tips so far.

To clean a slow or stinky drain put a big pot of water to boil. Take some baking soda and pour it into the drain. Pour some vinegar on top and watch it froth up! Let that sit for 10 minutes or so and then pour the whole pot of boiling water down the drain. Do this once a month to keep drains fresh and clear. This will not, however, clear up a very clogged sink.

What are your favorite cleaning products you can buy at the store?

deedarino
02-25-2012, 12:42 PM
Coat a deck of old cards with baby powder to make them slippery again.

Also cornmeal...

deedarino
02-25-2012, 12:44 PM
Am I the only one who gags at the smell of white vinegar? My parents used to run it through their coffee maker once a month to make their coffee taste fresher (yet another use for it), but I HATED those days. I'd run for the jar of Vick's salve and rub some on my upper lip to fight off the smell and the gag reflex (years later, I discovered that forensic scientists used Vick's in exactly the same way, to mask the smell of decomposing bodies... it seems I was on to something. Wait, does that count as a household cleaning tip?).

Anyway, I want to like the smell of vinegar. I do. It's clearly the miracle cleaner, and way better for the environment. But thanks to my nose, just not *my* environment. :(

I HATE it...Blech. The laundry tip doesn't leave the vinegar smell in the end.

The JD
02-25-2012, 12:55 PM
Vinegar will also attract those pesky fruit flies. They dive right in to a little cup left on the counter.

So... you catch more flies with vinegar than honey? ;)

~ocean
02-25-2012, 02:20 PM
coffee filters r great on windows too

girl_dee
02-25-2012, 08:40 PM
Wow! My favorite subject is cleaning! Great tips so far.

To clean a slow or stinky drain put a big pot of water to boil. Take some baking soda and pour it into the drain. Pour some vinegar on top and watch it froth up! Let that sit for 10 minutes or so and then pour the whole pot of boiling water down the drain. Do this once a month to keep drains fresh and clear. This will not, however, clear up a very clogged sink.

What are your favorite cleaning products you can buy at the store?

i love COMET. Plain ole Comet!

chai~
02-25-2012, 09:25 PM
I haven't read the entire thread, but before this slips my mind again, I will share it.
Maybe someone already has and if so, sorry for the repeat!

Sterling silver is my favorite precious metal.
I use toothpaste, not gel to clean all my jewlery.
To get into all the nooks and crannies, I use an old toothbrush.

I scrub till the past turns grey, rinse and voilla!!!

Shiny, gorgeous, as beautiful as new, and inexpensive!

To lessen the tarnishing of sterling, it's a great idea to keep the pieces in a zip lock bag with as much air squished out as possible.

girl_dee
02-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Uses for used coffee grounds?

pajama
02-26-2012, 09:40 AM

African violets love them. They also can go in compost for other plants.

The JD
02-26-2012, 09:42 AM

Facial scrub? :P

I've heard coffee grounds are fantastic for compost. Wonder if I could get a caffeine buzz from the veggies grown from it.

femmennoir
02-26-2012, 10:13 AM

Of course, compost, but also good to dye stuff, just like black tea. It gives a very light golden brown to yellowed doilies, yarn, t-shirts etc.

Elle*

justkim
02-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Use them in your garden or potted plants...

ETA you can go to your local Starbucks and get grounds... I am not sure if any of the other coffee houses do this but it won't hurt to ask...

girl_dee
02-26-2012, 10:16 AM
being from the south we have bugs :|

putting grounds in plants draws bugs and so i've never tried it.

But i will, i have african violets and other stuffs

girl_dee
02-26-2012, 10:20 AM
Use them in your garden or potted plants...

ETA you can go to your local Starbucks and get grounds... I am not sure if any of the other coffee houses do this but it won't hurt to ask...

we have a surplus :)

justkim
02-26-2012, 10:22 AM
There is something about the smell of bleach that makes me feel like things are really clean. But, I also like anything that has a Citrus scent to it.

girl_dee
02-26-2012, 10:25 AM
There is something about the smell of bleach that makes me feel like things are really clean. But, I also like anything that has a Citrus scent to it.

i am the opposite, i don't like citrus ... although i have taken cinnamon sticks and sliced oranges and simmered them which smelled divine.

justkim
02-26-2012, 10:30 AM
I can't handle the smell of Vanilla... it makes me want to vomit... Shot, dee, I believe you have seen my perfume collection I am all about how stuff smells. I recently was introduced to a new scent by Scentsy Weathered leather... I may have swooned... just a little... some of their other scents are to die for...

girl_dee
02-26-2012, 11:15 AM
I can't handle the smell of Vanilla... it makes me want to vomit... Shot, dee, I believe you have seen my perfume collection I am all about how stuff smells. I recently was introduced to a new scent by Scentsy Weathered leather... I may have swooned... just a little... some of their other scents are to die for...

i did hear that the Scentsy leather stuff was awesome.

i just can't handle scents, i don't like them, the older i get the more sensitive i am to it.

i just want things to look and BE clean, and hopefully the smell won't be overbearing.

Electrocell
02-27-2012, 08:59 AM

If I remember right you can use them around your rose bushes.

girl_dee
02-27-2012, 02:37 PM
If I remember right you can use them around your rose bushes.

that'll work in the summer!

PaPa
02-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Coffee grounds are also good if planted around carrots. It helps work as a repellent and at the same time makes it easier to weed and tug them out at harvest time.

Oh and works as a cat repellent. My mother uses them in the flowerbeds to keep the cats from doing their business in there.

LaneyDoll
02-27-2012, 03:09 PM
And, coffee grounds are sooooo much better for the environment. Plus, if you do have pets/kids, they are non-toxic.

girl_dee
02-27-2012, 03:20 PM
Coffee grounds are also good if planted around carrots. It helps work as a repellent and at the same time makes it easier to weed and tug them out at harvest time.

Oh and works as a cat repellent. My mother uses them in the flowerbeds to keep the cats from doing their business in there.

i had no idea about the cat thing....

doesn't the grounds draw bugs though? No?

PaPa
02-27-2012, 03:28 PM
i had no idea about the cat thing....

doesn't the grounds draw bugs though? No?

Actually Dee, it will work as a repellent rather than an attractant.

http://lifehacker.com/271962/feed-your-plants-repel-insects-and-more-with-coffee-grounds

girl_dee
02-27-2012, 04:10 PM
Actually Dee, it will work as a repellent rather than an attractant.

http://lifehacker.com/271962/feed-your-plants-repel-insects-and-more-with-coffee-grounds

sounds good!

Mr Nice Guy
02-27-2012, 04:58 PM
If you have ants this is what you do sprinkle cinnamon where you see them sweep into cracks and when ant season is over just sweep and wash. Only use cinnamon without the sugar. It works!!

girl_dee
03-06-2012, 09:06 AM
ok i am liking the vinegar in the wash, the detergent dispense is all shiny

justkim
03-06-2012, 09:12 AM
I will have to try using the vinegar in the washer trick... I am very thankful that I have a washer and dryer in my place, most don't... I do however have to head down to the laundry mat to wash my comforter... that should be interesting...

girl_dee
03-07-2012, 06:35 AM
that is one thing that i do NOT miss is hauling the dirty laundry around

the vinegar is a wonderful trick

the doggie blankets sometimes aren't as clean as i like even after a wash but with the vinegar they seems way better

you know we have a pack of 7 so there is lots of doggie laundry lol

Truly Scrumptious
03-09-2012, 10:03 AM

Yes!

For brunettes only: add 1/4 cup of used coffee grounds to about 3 cups of hot water, and let it sit until completely cool. Then strain it till all grounds are removed. Pour the liquid over your hair after washed and conditioned, and rinse after a couple of minutes. (I pour it into an empty shampoo bottle, and keep it in the shower.) It brings out lowlights, dissolves product buildup and leaves your hair super shiny and bouncy. (Plus if you use flavoured coffee, your hair will smell exceptionally delicious. I usually do this with crème brulée flavoured coffee, but sometimes with coconut.) Works on coloured hair too, as long as it's brown.

girl_dee
03-09-2012, 10:16 AM
Yes!

For brunettes only: add 1/4 cup of used coffee grounds to about 3 cups of hot water, and let it sit until completely cool. Then strain it till all grounds are removed. Pour the liquid over your hair after washed and conditioned, and rinse after a couple of minutes. (I pour it into an empty shampoo bottle, and keep it in the shower.) It brings out lowlights, dissolves product buildup and leaves your hair super shiny and bouncy. (Plus if you use flavoured coffee, your hair will smell exceptionally delicious. I usually do this with crème brulée flavoured coffee, but sometimes with coconut.) Works on coloured hair too, as long as it's brown.

REALLY????????????

Truly Scrumptious
03-09-2012, 01:43 PM
REALLY????????????

Yes, really!
One thing I forgot to mention is that you want to use a lot of it . . this recipe makes enough for 2 or 3 uses, depending on the length of your hair. Pour it over your hair and keep pouring, you really want to drench your hair with it.

girl_dee
05-09-2012, 07:05 PM
has anyone ever tried aluminum foil in the dryer rather than dryer sheets?

i hear it works for static without the dryer sheet crap

Sachita
05-09-2012, 07:43 PM
I use essential oils a lot to clean, repel pest, all kinds of things.

When deep cleaning I fill a bucket of warm water, add little mint oil & lavender. I clean all kinds of things- the counters, walls and floors. I also use a steamer. The scent of peppermint bugs and mice hate it. I sometimes put some in a spray bottle, hot water and spray along base boards, under counters and even in my barn. This year I'm planting all kinds of mint in the ground all around the barn. I hate rats.

I've recently received several large Himalayan Salt Lamps. Once is 25 pounds, the other smaller and in my bedroom. I am amazed how well it cleans the air and the energy it emits. Very calming and tranquil. I wish I had some this sooner.

I don't like to use chemicals on the floors. I don't want to inhale it nor so I want all the dogs stepping on it. We use plant based products to clean dog areas. You can also get a big big jar, put lots of orange peels, add white vinegar ( I also add mint) let it sit for a few days. It makes a very strong cleaner you can use directly for problems or add to mop water for a wonderful safe floor cleaner.

girl_dee
05-09-2012, 08:01 PM
my favorite oil to add to mop water is Sweet Birch

JustJo
05-09-2012, 08:19 PM
I love steam for cleaning. I use a steam mop with plain water on the floors since I have dogs and cats to think about. In bathrooms, around trash cans and on any spots.....I just let it sit and steam for a minute or two without moving it. Works like a charm.

To clean a dirty microwave, I put a cup of plain water in and turn it on for about 3 minutes....long enough for it to boil and steam for awhile. Everything will just wipe right out easily. If there are food odors in the microwave, add a splash of vinegar to the water.

:rrose:

Gemme
05-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Speaking of microwaves, if your kitchen sponge is getting smelly but is still in good condition, wet it and put it in the microwave for around 90 seconds. It will kill the bacteria so you can continue to use the sponge.

JustJo
05-13-2012, 05:51 AM
Speaking of microwaves, if your kitchen sponge is getting smelly but is still in good condition, wet it and put it in the microwave for around 90 seconds. It will kill the bacteria so you can continue to use the sponge.

Yes, or run it through the dishwasher if you have one. The high temps and caustic dishwasher detergent are great at killing bacteria.

Personally, I use dishrags....I use a fresh one each day and toss them in the laundry. Just seems cleaner...

Truly Scrumptious
05-13-2012, 09:42 AM
Do you have a bunch of little ketchup or mustard (any kind of condiments will do) packets lying around in your junk drawer? Throw them in the freezer! They make great ice packs for tiny wounds, and you can refreeze them too.

girl_dee
05-13-2012, 10:32 AM
ok the ball of aluminum foil in the dryer instead of dryer sheets test failed miserably.

Gonna go find where i read that so i can tell them it does not work!

girl_dee
05-13-2012, 10:33 AM
Freezer jam,

You can make leftover strawberries/blueberries/anything etc into jams with 20 minutes of work.

Look up freezer jam recipes, so easy and no canning stuff required.

Jesse
10-30-2016, 07:29 PM
I have stainless steel sinks in the kitchen, and wonderful Florida hardwater which of course causes unsightly mineral deposits on the stainless. The deposits are super easy to clean up and/or keep at bay by saturating a rag in white vinegar and laying it on the stain for an hour or so. Actually, I use paper towels because I can make it whatever length I need for wrapping around the base of the faucet or along curves.

This also works in the toilet, but it's best to clean and flush it first and then turn off the water to the toilet so that none can flow back into the bowl. Then wrap a vinegar soaked paper towel or old rag around water line and allow to sit for an hour or so. The area may need a light scrubbing afterwards or soak for a longer time depending on individual circumstances. Make sure not to flush the paper towel or rag accidently.

Jesse
10-30-2016, 08:14 PM
Wobbly toilet seat! A quick fix for a wobbly toilet seat can be had easy enough using a quarter size circle cut from an old inner tube. Cut a small slit in the center of the circle then place it onto the plastic post on the underside of the toilet and then screw the plastic nut back on until snug. This will last for a very long time. Of course you can always go buy a rubber washer but they don't seem to work as well for this particular fix.

You can also make rubber bands, otherwise known as Ranger Bands from the old inner tubes, so it pays to save one or two old tubes.

Stone-Butch
10-30-2016, 10:14 PM
A little off house cleaning but a great tip. Keep a tube of toothpaste (must be white like colgate) and if your dog gets sprayed by a skunk wash it with the toothpaste that will foam up like soap. It is cheap and very handy to keep in case. Then wash the dog as you normally would. Works better than skunk off. We use to use it in the animal clinic, works great.

C0LLETTE
10-30-2016, 11:47 PM
A little off house cleaning but a great tip. Keep a tube of toothpaste (must be white like colgate) and if your dog gets sprayed by a skunk wash it with the toothpaste that will foam up like soap. It is cheap and very handy to keep in case. Then wash the dog as you normally would. Works better than skunk off. We use to use it in the animal clinic, works great.

If my dog gets sprayed by a skunk I'm getting a new dog....oh, just kidding I know how you PETA people are lol

deeds
10-31-2016, 01:22 AM
A bit of dawn dish soap will strip your hair clean and with bleach it cleans your kitchen back to fresh..

Ivory dish soap kills fleas on contact.

Stone-Butch
10-31-2016, 06:07 AM
Ahhh COLETTE, alas, I am not a PETA person. I am against circus animals and I think there should be more inspection of our farm animal care and slaughter. I have fur and leather, I eat meat daily and drink dairy products. Have done a lot of fishing and hunting in my early years. I am afraid PETA would kick my butt out the door LOL.

Gemme
10-31-2016, 07:11 AM
When I was little, I clearly hung around with the wrong crowds because I kept getting lice. Of course, butt length super thick hair didn't help either. After suffering through those chemical and comb treatments over and over and over again, (and my mom chopping all of my hair off a couple of times....I will never forgive her version of the Beatles bowl cut. Never!) I found if washed my hair normally and then 'washed' it with a tub of regular, cheap mayo then wrapped my mayo covered hair tightly in plastic for a couple of hours before washing it again....may take a couple of washes as that stuff really clings...it worked the same as the painful, smelly treatments. I mean, mayo smells but I'd rather smell like macaroni salad than a chemical processing plant.

The mayo suffocates anything living on your scalp and hair and washing it out thoroughly washes them away with it.

Bèsame*
10-31-2016, 11:29 AM
When I was little, I clearly hung around with the wrong crowds because I kept getting lice. Of course, butt length super thick hair didn't help either. After suffering through those chemical and comb treatments over and over and over again, (and my mom chopping all of my hair off a couple of times....I will never forgive her version of the Beatles bowl cut. Never!) I found if washed my hair normally and then 'washed' it with a tub of regular, cheap mayo then wrapped my mayo covered hair tightly in plastic for a couple of hours before washing it again....may take a couple of washes as that stuff really clings...it worked the same as the painful, smelly treatments. I mean, mayo smells but I'd rather smell like macaroni salad than a chemical processing plant.

The mayo suffocates anything living on your scalp and hair and washing it out thoroughly washes them away with it.

I will recommend this process as well! I went round and round with that when I had foster kids. I thought, let's suffocate them! Mayo is also a great conditioner.

Gemme
10-31-2016, 10:17 PM
I will recommend this process as well! I went round and round with that when I had foster kids. I thought, let's suffocate them! Mayo is also a great conditioner.

Very true! Better to feed my follicles than to wind up on my hips, I say.

girl_dee
02-25-2017, 03:40 PM
Apple Cider Vinegar!

I have recently used this to gargle with while I had a sore throat. (Which was GONE by the next day)

But where I spit out the vinegar/hot water mix.... the bathroom sink drain was extremely shiny and clean.

I have used vinegar to clean always but the apple cider.... is vinegar to the power of 10. .

JDeere
03-13-2017, 08:32 PM
Hydrogen peroxide with baking soda mix. You can use it on sinks as well as a tooth cleaning agent. I use it on my teeth mainly as a paste then brush after with a regular toothpaste.

girl_dee
03-18-2017, 09:58 AM
Hydrogen peroxide with baking soda mix. You can use it on sinks as well as a tooth cleaning agent. I use it on my teeth mainly as a paste then brush after with a regular toothpaste.

this is how i grew up brushing my teeth- I have never had a cavity (knock on wood)

Kätzchen
05-16-2017, 04:44 PM
I use the dishwasher to sanitize keys on a key ring holder (minus the fob key, that's the gizmo that either unlocks your car doors or acts as an remote starter) and tooth brushes, on a weekly basis. I do the keys separately from dishes, using a regular dishwashing tablet.

But when I sanitize the tooth brush or my hair combs or brushes (make sure you remove hair from the bush and comb), I still use the dishwashing tablet, but during the final rinse cycle, I add a splash of White Vinegar, so it totally neutralizes microbes that might still exist.

I don't use the White Vinegar for treating the keys, though. Not sure why, but if I want to be doubly sure the keys are germ free, I use a cotton ball soaked with Isopropyl Alcohol.

It's just one way to limit bacteria or microbes from living on common surface items we use everyday. Especially if flu or cold season is active or for any other reason, it's just a good idea to have clean keys and tooth brushes.

Kätzchen
02-01-2022, 06:57 PM
pC2d7wl7Zjg