PDA

View Full Version : Disney Freaks - UNITE!

Medusa
02-25-2012, 08:40 AM
Can we talk about Disneyworld?!

One of my girlfriends and I are planning a trip to Disneyworld in Florida for 2013 and we are already squeeeeinnnngggg all over the place!

I haven't been since I was 19 so I am wondering what has changed. I know they are adding on to Fantasyland and building a giant "Beast's Castle" that should be done by the time we get there.

We are planning to go for 8 days and are also going to trek over to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Anyone else a Disney freak? Got any good tips? Secrets to share?

UofMfan
02-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Can we talk about Disneyworld?!

One of my girlfriends and I are planning a trip to Disneyworld in Florida for 2013 and we are already squeeeeinnnngggg all over the place!

I haven't been since I was 19 so I am wondering what has changed. I know they are adding on to Fantasyland and building a giant "Beast's Castle" that should be done by the time we get there.

We are planning to go for 8 days and are also going to trek over to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter! WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Anyone else a Disney freak? Got any good tips? Secrets to share?

I went to Disney so many times I've lost count. Now my son has taken up the tradition. He even proposed in Disney.

1. Stay at a Disney Hotel.

2. Many things have changed. Some rides are no longer there and have been replaced by new ones.

3. Use their web site to print maps and plan your activities. You are a Virgo like myself, you may actually enjoy that.

4. Take advantage of the extra hours given to those staying at a Disney hotel, one of the many perks, and enjoy the pool and hotel amenities instead, while the rest of the people are standing in line in the heat. I used to go to the hotel for lunch, swim, drinks and a nap then head back to the park.

5. If you are flying in and are staying at a Disney hotel, they will pick you up at the airport in a cute Disney van and give you cute Disney luggage tags, another perk of staying at their hotels.

6. Their hotels there range from affordable to outrageous. You will find the affordable ones to be really good and well, affordable.

7. Use the FASTPASS reservation system for the popular rides.

8. Plan to see the parades, if that is your thing, by checking the schedule on the web site and getting to a nice spot early.

9. Make sure to go to Typhoon Lagoon.

10. When you stay at a Disney hotel, anything you buy gets delivered to your hotel so you don't have to carry it around the parks.

11. Rent a boat, watercraft, etc to use in the lagoon. They are fun and give you a different look of the parks.

12. When you stay at a Disney hotel all transportation around Disney is included. Great for going shopping at Downtown Disney, etc.

This is what I could think of right now, off the top of my head.

Best advice, visit their web site (http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/), it is packed with really good information that will help you plan the perfect trip.

girl_dee
02-25-2012, 09:04 AM
yup all good advice!

also there is a sidewalk around the castle, on the left, it's a nice view and away from the crowd a bit

Also if they still do the deal where certain hotel guests get in an hour early at a certain park, go to any of the others at the regular time, all the crowd will be where you are not.

girl_dee
02-25-2012, 09:08 AM
if you are into Trivia, i can share some stuff!

When Walt Disney created Disneyland in CA, he was landlocked because he announced what he was doing and everyone bought up the land around the proposed site, so it's about as big as it can ever be. His vision was to create a place away from town, the sounds, the sites of the world, in Disneyworld the one and only place you can see any indication of an outside world is at the Contemporary hotel, there is a glimpse of the interstate behind it.

ANYWAY when he decided to build this place in FL, he bought up all the surrounding land, using fictitious business names. So technically he owns all the land, just under other names, those names are the names of all the shops on Main Street. The one shop, The Roy and Walt Disney Co, faces the castle.

girl_dee
02-25-2012, 09:10 AM
The purchase delivery is SO cool, i loved buying stuff all day then getting back to hotel to find all my purchases just sitting there waiting for me!

always2late
02-25-2012, 09:14 AM
I am soooooo jealous!! I LOVE Disney and I SO want to also see the Harry Potter attraction at Universal! (may I stowaway in your luggage?) I haven't been to Disneyworld in a few years...and as they are always changing, I am sure any info I have is outdated, so I can't be of much help...but...WHEEEEEEEE you're going to Disney!!!! YAY!!!!!!

Medusa
02-25-2012, 09:16 AM
Thank you!!!

We are talking about staying at one of the moderate hotels there and are also thinking about doing the dining plan :)
I ordered a free video that is an "Intro to Disneyworld" thing and watched it last night and grinned like a fool!

girl_dee
02-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Another trick is if you are not doing the parade is to make a dinner reservation for the parade time, less crazy dining experience!

clay
02-25-2012, 11:06 AM
hey Medusa...you will so enjoy this trip! I stayed at Port Orleans Resort Riverside my last trip there June 2007! The beds are made of tree trunks..actual spaling trunks..amd mirror frames, picture frames, etc all are made with birch bark...really rustic but an awesome resort.
DO the dining plan and the food is so much, you wont believe. DON"T use the dining plan snack tickets for bottled water or drinks....just an FYI!
DO make one of the dining reservations for the Hawaiian restaurant there...you won't be disappointed. There is also a retro 50's diner...straight out of the Donna Reed show of the 50's. The waiters are just the cutest lil gay boys!!! VERY attentive.
See the parades from down by the Magic Kingdom on Main Street...and be sure to see one at night. All the floats are lit with colored rope lighting and spectacular. PLUS you see the very best fireworks show from there at night.
Be on the front side of the Kingdom at night...one of the Disnye characters does a surprise zip line experience will leave you breathless.
No matter how many times you go, you will never be disappointed....grins.
Usually the first weekend of June each year is gay days..and OMG! It is "unspoken" but red tops are the "uni" of the day..and there are always many straights that happen to wear red that day as well. I went June 2007..it was my late wife's Last Wish request to go to Gay Days...so we spent a week there. It was an experience I will never forget..and a beautiful memory!
Go, be a kid, and enjoy it all...you will want to go back again.
Have fun....hugs..Clay
MY fave rides are It's A Small, Small world....and Peter Pan's Fantasy Flight.

pajama
02-25-2012, 11:12 AM
Fastpass

Fastpass

Fastpass

JustJo
02-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Oh heck yes....and you've already had good advice. :)

I was a finalist (alas, did not make the final cut) to be an official Mickey Mom....but I am the unofficial Mickey Mom for my colleagues.

Definitely stay on the property...take the airport transportation (you don't even have to pick up your luggage, they'll deliver it to your room).

Use the bus system to get around...it's handy and no parking.

Go when they have the Free Dining option if you can....the parks are slower and you'll eat much better for far less money.

When you have a choice...go left. Most people go to the right.

Parades are fun...but the BEST time to get on the most popular rides is during the parade.

Go early in the morning...most people don't....then back to your hotel to nap and swim and enjoy the hot part of the day with leisure. You'll be back refreshed for evening fun and fireworks...while the rest of the crowd is cranky and footsore.

Bring several changes of shoes and swap them out when you go back to the hotel midday. Gives your feet a rest.

I have a list of busy and slow times (and days) at the parks....I'll share it with you once I get on my other computer.

Hollywood Studios and the waterparks are less walking than Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and Epcot. Alternate them to give your feet a rest.

We LOVE Coronado Springs. It's a moderate resort....with great dining options, a lovely pool and waterslide and a giant hot tub. It also has the big central pool, full of kid rowdiness, and "quiet pools" in the various sections that are open all night and more adult occupancy....no marco polo games when you want to lounge and float.

Enjoy! :)

durrrrrrrr
02-25-2012, 11:35 AM
Disney ( at least last time i was there, which wasnt that long ago ) will let ya bring in your own snacks and drinks, water. may want to consider taking a backpack with ya with these items in there. Disney doesnt mind as long as your not bringing in a freakin store of supplies in.

I have a camelbak http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-tgqQ_O56uEJpLWa_ktMEDmp6ht_bZLG5t9WzK_tOWHIyvIsDeA

http://www.camelbak.com/

that i am thinkin about takin with me next time i do something like this. when i wear this, i dont feel it at all. even when i am sitting down. the camelbak i have even has small pockets for keys, phone..etc etc.

bringing in your own snacks and a few drinks will help ya and save money

UofMfan
02-25-2012, 12:03 PM
Oh heck yes....and you've already had good advice. :)

I was a finalist (alas, did not make the final cut) to be an official Mickey Mom....but I am the unofficial Mickey Mom for my colleagues.

Definitely stay on the property...take the airport transportation (you don't even have to pick up your luggage, they'll deliver it to your room).

Use the bus system to get around...it's handy and no parking.

Go when they have the Free Dining option if you can....the parks are slower and you'll eat much better for far less money.

When you have a choice...go left. Most people go to the right.

Parades are fun...but the BEST time to get on the most popular rides is during the parade.

Go early in the morning...most people don't....then back to your hotel to nap and swim and enjoy the hot part of the day with leisure. You'll be back refreshed for evening fun and fireworks...while the rest of the crowd is cranky and footsore.

Bring several changes of shoes and swap them out when you go back to the hotel midday. Gives your feet a rest.

I have a list of busy and slow times (and days) at the parks....I'll share it with you once I get on my other computer.

Hollywood Studios and the waterparks are less walking than Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom and Epcot. Alternate them to give your feet a rest.

We LOVE Coronado Springs. It's a moderate resort....with great dining options, a lovely pool and waterslide and a giant hot tub. It also has the big central pool, full of kid rowdiness, and "quiet pools" in the various sections that are open all night and more adult occupancy....no marco polo games when you want to lounge and float.

Enjoy! :)

I ALWAYS go left!

nycfem
02-25-2012, 12:03 PM
I am a Disney freak! Let's have one of our Reunions there! :)

Seriously, great thread! I haven't been there in many years but would love to go back. Nothing like Disney!

A friend of mine started a facebook page called "Veg Disney" about veg/vegan/healthy dining options while at Disney. vegdisney@yahoo.com

UofMfan
02-25-2012, 12:07 PM
I am a Disney freak! Let's have one of our Reunions there! :)

Seriously, great thread! I haven't been there in many years but would love to go back. Nothing like Disney!

A friend of mine started a facebook page called "Veg Disney" about veg/vegan/healthy dining options while at Disney. vegdisney@yahoo.com

Excellent idea! Even better, during Gay Day!

I spent many a Gay Day there, wow, it is amazing.

How about 2013 or 2014? I may actually consider going then.

Cuddles
02-25-2012, 12:57 PM
I friggin' LOVE Disney World!!! It's the only perk of being a Floridian I enjoy! :)

One key thing to remember... if you're eating in the park or at the resort just know that it'll cost you double whatever you're expecting it to cost you!

With that being said I'll ONLY stay at the DW resorts when I go there now. You can get great deals on the rooms there now. Plus... since it's now costing $15 per park to park your car, you're saving a lot of money by staying in the Disney resorts. The shuttle buses run all day long (just not past like 11:30pm), plus they'll take you to Downtown Disney too.

I would go to any reunion in DW in a heartbeat. That's one place that no matter what's going on, a smile is on my face and the youngster in me is like a fat butch in a femme candy store! :thumbsup:

You're going to have so much fun!

pajama
02-25-2012, 01:08 PM
Disney Anything = 9th Circle of Hell for me. But bring me back a Tinkerbell Snowglobe!

Just make sure you pack it carefully in your suitcase 'cause you can't carry on a snowglobe.

weatherboi
02-25-2012, 01:43 PM
The monorail provides great transportation for hotel bar hopping during happy hour. They will not let you drive!

pajama
02-25-2012, 02:44 PM
<<@>>

:seeingstars:

but....but....

What if it's in the fall, when all the annoying kiddies are in school?
What if some of us hold cooling fans on you at all times?
Pleeeeeeeeeease......

Medusa
02-25-2012, 02:45 PM
She'd be wearing Mickey ears by the end of it if we could ever get her there! ;)

pajama
02-25-2012, 02:46 PM
She'd be wearing Mickey ears by the end of it if we could ever get her there! ;)

I would be glad to get her mouse ears personalized with a big <@>. *giggle*

It's be like cyclops mickey ears. bwahahahaha

girl_dee
02-25-2012, 03:56 PM
Oh no, tell me she is not going when the kids are out of school.

i can't look, is she?

Estella
02-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Excellent idea! Even better, during Gay Day!

I spent many a Gay Day there, wow, it is amazing.

How about 2013 or 2014? I may actually consider going then.

We've been to Gay Day a few times, and I would go back in a heartbeat. And you don't necessarily need to pony up for WD resort. Any hotel on the property (I think there are a couple run by Sheraton - Swan & Dolphin?) is going to have busses that will shuttle you all over the park.

Oh, we would absolutely go to a Reunion there.

nycfem
02-29-2012, 08:47 PM
Just saw this article on my yahoo:

Disney's Habit Heroes Accused of "fat-shaming"

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/disneys-habit-heroes-accused-fat-shaming-232300194.html