PDA

View Full Version : Preparing a monologue

genghisfawn
03-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Right, so...

In 2005, I was involved in my university's production of The Vagina Monologues. For people who know the VM, I was chosen to give "The Woman Who Loved to Make Vaginas Happy"... also known as "the moaning one". For someone who is relatively reserved, it was a stretch for me, but I enjoyed it.

Fast forward 7 years... I've been asked to perform it again for another university event. This weekend. Gack.

I don't know how I learned it all before, but now I'm beginning to panic. Granted, we had 6 weeks of preparation last time. This isn't like a presentation or speech, and it's not like giving a recital, and I'm not an actress. Are there any dramatic sorts out there who can give me some tips on how to cram this thing into my brain in record time, please? Any help would be welcome!

Sparkle
03-04-2012, 01:39 PM
Sadly, there is no magic trick for memorization...its recitation recitation recitation recitation. over and over and over again, and then 100 times more.

Read it aloud, devoid of tone or intonation or dramatic phrasing or emotion. Read it aloud over and over and over until you can start to recite it (bit by bit) without having to look.

I would often make a short list of words that represented the main idea/thought of a particular paragraph or portion of the monologue and use it as a cheat sheet. ex: taxi, sister, broken shoe, bridge

Find a helper, a friend or colleague, that will listen and read along - prompting you when you need it.

My advice is memorize first, once you know the words it will be easy to find yourself in the words (your thoughts and feelings about the words) and deliver it in a way that is genuine.

Good writing (like TVM) is good because it captures some "truth" (in experience or feeling or thought) that we all recognize; good acting is expressing that truth in a way that is honest/genuine.

The good news is that because you've learned it before, it will likely come flooding back. And because you've performed this piece before you'll likely have some sense memory of how it felt when you performed it - and that will come back to you too.

Memorize your lines and then just be yourself and enjoy the experience!

Turtle
03-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Like above, and read out loud, adding your chosen emotion, volume, passion, etc - and create your own story/movie in your mind to make it your own. Get up on your feet, act it out, FEEL it, make it yours...

and write some cues on your arm just in case ;-)

UofMfan
03-04-2012, 02:37 PM
I have absolutely no useful advice to give you. I am here to wish you good luck.

Gemme
03-04-2012, 07:20 PM
I just followed UofM in here.

:blink:

Good luck and I have to repeat what was said before about memorization.

Ha.

genghisfawn
03-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Folks, thanks for your help and well wishes. :) This is a bit of a departure for me, but I'm really excited about it.

The_Lady_Snow
03-04-2012, 08:29 PM
I followed Gemme who followed UofManyStalkers, and I think it's AWESOME!!

Good luck!!

PaPa
03-04-2012, 08:31 PM
I guess I am a follower of the others and think it is awesome too! So go break a leg!!

girl_dee
03-04-2012, 08:32 PM
they say if you sing something in your head you will remember it,

GOOD luck!!!!

boobookitty
03-08-2012, 09:16 AM
for some people forming images .. a cartoon show of sorts... can trigger memory and allow for long list of info to be recited... thats what the super mega memory gurus teach others to do.

Fancy
03-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Sadly, there is no magic trick for memorization...its recitation recitation recitation recitation. over and over and over again, and then 100 times more.

Read it aloud, devoid of tone or intonation or dramatic phrasing or emotion. Read it aloud over and over and over until you can start to recite it (bit by bit) without having to look.

I would often make a short list of words that represented the main idea/thought of a particular paragraph or portion of the monologue and use it as a cheat sheet. ex: taxi, sister, broken shoe, bridge

Find a helper, a friend or colleague, that will listen and read along - prompting you when you need it.

My advice is memorize first, once you know the words it will be easy to find yourself in the words (your thoughts and feelings about the words) and deliver it in a way that is genuine.

Good writing (like TVM) is good because it captures some "truth" (in experience or feeling or thought) that we all recognize; good acting is expressing that truth in a way that is honest/genuine.

The good news is that because you've learned it before, it will likely come flooding back. And because you've performed this piece before you'll likely have some sense memory of how it felt when you performed it - and that will come back to you too.

Memorize your lines and then just be yourself and enjoy the experience!

This is my second year performing in the local Vagina Monologues events. I want to echo Sparkle's words above. Repetition above all else! Are you allowed to have a note card on stage? If so, that helps - not to read it verbatim - but as a cue and security blanket.

Break a leg and have the time of your life!

macele
03-08-2012, 10:47 AM
i'm thinking about the movie "working girl". you know where tess is riding the stationary bike, ... listening to katherine on the tape recorder.

word association for the parts you seem to forget.

if we really know the material, when we forget things, we can work through. may not get full credit lol, ... but something will come to mind to help us. know what you are "teaching".

i think it's better to just break it down as much as you can. then if it comes to having to cram, ... continue breaking it down lol.

good luck, genghisfawn. you'll do great! (f)

LaneyDoll
03-08-2012, 11:06 AM
I had a friend once who studied for her college exams by recording the notes onto a file that she then transferred onto her Ipod. Then, she listened to her notes everywhere she could.

I bet if you are able to listen to a recording as you sleep, it will help you retain it all.

:sparklyheart:

deedarino
03-11-2012, 03:26 PM
Memorization is repetition; the more ways you can find to stuff it in the better. Reading, listening, creating pictures...all the previous ideas are great!

Also work on stress reduction because once fight or flight kicks in, the memory suffers. Drink lots of water and practice deep breathing now. I found the best trick (from you tube) to help get the breaths just right: form your mouth into a circle as if you are going to whistle but more open. Breathe in and out that way. The air goes straight to the bottom of the lungs which will begin to reverse the stress reaction.

Break a Leg!!!