PDA

View Full Version : Exotic Pet Info and Support

NotAnAverageGuy
12-06-2009, 02:13 AM
Ok this thread we can use for exotic pets for informations sharing, rescue reports, etc.

I say exotic pets as in sugar gliders, etc but ferrets and snakes and fish and such animals that are non cat/dog are welcome here.

:clap::clap:

violaine
12-06-2009, 12:19 PM
hallo NotAnAverageGuy- :bouquet:

thank you for starting this thread for those of us loving and living with exotic pets.

thought i would post some surgical info here, please.

guinea pigs are prone to lipomas/fatty tumours. usually, these are benign, can grow quite quickly, and their size can be impressive. moo.moo was the first to grow one, and it was on his side right on the border of fur marking from brown to black [made it difficult to visually detect]. it's very important to handle guinea pigs- inspect their bodies during nail trimming, for example.

here is how Moo.Moo was treated, sugically and medically:

isoflurane gas, lumpectomy-grade 1, buprenorphine injection, buprenophine sublingual dose [6], and baytril injection 22.7 MG/ML. the total cost for his procedure including one week of take home meds/total cost: 168$

stardust had a lipoma on his little elbow, which was easier to remove although it seemed much larger.

info for stardust:

intubation, electrocardiogram, lumpectomy-grade 1, torbutrol 1 mg tablets
[2], and torp inj/total cost: 97$.

star had very little medication therapy, and the hardest part was suture removal! moo's came out effortlessly, however. star had to be taken in to the vet hospital for the few remaining sutures i could not get free [too worried about reopening the incision site].

hope this info may be of help to anyone with a sweet little guinea pig. i sure love them to pieces.

take care, and thank you for this topic!

belle

:drummer: :guitar:

NotAnAverageGuy
12-06-2009, 04:56 PM
:winky: Your quite welcome Belle!!!!

For sugar gliders:

http://www.hopeforgliders.org/ - thats the Texas rescue I support, Angie has alot on her hands and kudos to her for doing this.

http://www.sugarglider.com/

More general info on them, so ironically called gliderpedia

http://www.sugar-gliders.com/

my favorite site to buy products from

Please neuter your males, if you do not plan to breed and become a breeder. Some states gliders are illegal and some you have to have USDA documents in order to own them, please do not make the mistakes others have made and put these animals in future harm. Exotic pets like these DEPEND on us more than some dogs and cats and other animals do, without OUR help and our love, these guys can not survive in the USA.

violaine
12-08-2009, 01:43 PM
i like eavesdropping on pig talks at night. they have a lot to discuss about new designs [cardboard box chewing].

they snore.

Andrew, Jr.
12-08-2009, 01:51 PM
I love to read about animals. I find them so comforting. Where do you find sugar gliders? I have never heard of these animals before. Never. This is the first time. How big do they get? And what do they look like?

Belle,
I always think about your babies, Star Dust and Moo-Moo. I laughed when you told me they snored. That was a hoot. Now that is just more to love about them! Give them tons of oxox for me!

Love,
Andrew

NotAnAverageGuy
12-08-2009, 09:31 PM
Read the links I provided above they have info on them

NotAnAverageGuy
12-08-2009, 09:32 PM
i like eavesdropping on pig talks at night. they have a lot to discuss about new designs [cardboard box chewing].

they snore.

I listen to the suggies every night since they are nocturnal, they bark, chirp, chatter and crab at each other, I have become so atuned to them I often block them out.

NotAnAverageGuy
12-09-2009, 05:59 PM
I swear shopping for the glider is fun in a way, I buy their food when I buy mine and they eat cheaper and HEALTHIER than I do.

Speaking of I have to hunt down some watermelon when I go out in a bit to get me some groceries, the suggs LOVE watermelon.

NotAnAverageGuy
12-11-2009, 10:17 PM
My glider forum I belong to now has a facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?v=app_2309869772&ref=profile&id=100000162424878#/pages/GliderCENTRAL/203338656280

violaine
12-11-2009, 10:53 PM
hi notanaverageguy :rollcat:

gliders seem to have an extensive vocabularo! do they ever sound just like a bird? when they "crab" at each other, do you mean body language-wise?

guinea pigs have complex communication- and one of the many sounds they make is a chirping. i once looked long, and everywhere for the bird! wild. gpigs also do dominance posturing- rumblestrutting, yawning = display of teeth, placing a chin higher than the other, pawing, nudging, nipping, of course- humping! :innocent:

i crack up because they try to make themselves really big- and puff up- all of three pounds !

how are you tonight? what are the gliders doing?

best,
belle

NotAnAverageGuy
12-11-2009, 11:26 PM
yes gliders hiss, crab, bite and bark and all that with body language too.

when crabbing their tummies go up and down, when they hiss their tails stand up, when they bark they look similiar to a dog barking and sounds just like it too.
My fave is when they yawn, their mouthes open wide and you see their lil teeth.

Let me find some youtubes of the barking and crabbing to give you an idea of what life is like when they do these things.

YouTube- Sugar Glider "BARK"

barking, turn down volume on each video its kinda high pitched

YouTube- Crabbing sugar glider

crabbing, again turn down volume

hottprof
12-12-2009, 12:49 AM
yes gliders hiss, crab, bite and bark and all that with body language too.

when crabbing their tummies go up and down, when they hiss their tails stand up, when they bark they look similiar to a dog barking and sounds just like it too.
My fave is when they yawn, their mouthes open wide and you see their lil teeth.

Let me find some youtubes of the barking and crabbing to give you an idea of what life is like when they do these things.

YouTube- Sugar Glider "BARK" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wZeyhCMXO0)

barking, turn down volume on each video its kinda high pitched

YouTube- Crabbing sugar glider (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zt8uLejOuaQ)

crabbing, again turn down volume

Thank you for sharing... to me when I hear them they kinda freak me out but seeing them crab is not as scary to me as just hearing it over the phone... and the barking is so cute. it is all just their way of communicating...

Thank you for sharing :)

Smiles :frog:

NotAnAverageGuy
12-12-2009, 12:51 AM
Thank you for sharing... to me when I hear them they kinda freak me out but seeing them crab is not as scary to me as just hearing it over the phone... and the barking is so cute. it is all just their way of communicating...

Thank you for sharing :)

Smiles :frog:

Your welcome and yes its totally different in person than on the phone...

violaine
12-12-2009, 12:17 PM
:frog:

notanaverageguy, thank you for sharing informative youtubes about these guys.

how do they react upon hearing the sound on a youtube? you mentioned turn down the volume. if i were to play gpig noises, the pigs would start looking for one!

something silly - my flip flop squeaked one day on the tile by the front door, and the pigs ran out of their room, in search of another pig.

when stardust or moo.moo bump into something- they immediately rumblestrutt at it. ha. kookykids.

:cold:

NotAnAverageGuy
12-12-2009, 11:38 PM
the suggies pop out of their pouch when they hear youtube stuff like that

those noises can be shrill and hurt peoples ears is why I suggested turning the volume down lol

NotAnAverageGuy
12-14-2009, 10:14 AM
I found a site that sells sugar glider stuff from t shirts to unique gifts

http://www.zazzle.com/sugar+glider+tshirts

the pricing is great and it's cheaper if you buy in bulk.

theoddz
12-14-2009, 10:31 AM
Does anyone here, besides me, have pet frogs?? :frog:

I have a small green tree frog. I have thought, up to late, that "Myron" is a White's (Blue) "Dumpy" Tree Frog, but now I'm beginning to wonder if he isn't of another variety of green tree frog?? He's not "dumpy" at all, and even though he's a little fellow, he almost looks more like this:

YouTube- Frogs the movie - starring Elvis and Priscilla

The frogs in this video, "Elvis" and "Priscilla", are Australian Green Tree Frogs. Myron is built like these, but not quite as hefty (yet). Myron is also colored differently. These are jade colored, supposedly characteristic of Australian frogs, but Myron is more of an olive/bluish color, which I've read is more indicative of Indonesian frogs.

Still, keeping frogs is an interesting thing. They really have personality and you get to have 2 "pets" in one.....because you get to be a cricket keeper, too!! :awww:

I'm trying to get Myron trained to my hand, like Elvis and Priscilla are with their human. I think he'll get better as he gets bigger and comes to know me more. I eventually want him to accept both crickets and worms from my fingers. I've heard that some of the larger Whites Frogs, in addition to some varieties of toads, will eat "pinky (newborn) mice", but I don't ever intend to feed any of my frogs with mice of any kind.

Oh, and Myron isn't vocal.....yet. He may never be.....and "he" may turn out to be a "she", too, but from the way he is physically developing with a longer, less rotund physique, I'm thinking that he's more inclined to be male.

I was just curious to know if anyone else around here keeps frogs.

~Theo~ :winky:::frog::bunchflowers:

NotAnAverageGuy
12-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Welcome Theo

I was wondering when someone else was gonna pop in here and add to the list of pets!!!

theoddz
12-14-2009, 11:18 AM
Welcome Theo

I was wondering when someone else was gonna pop in here and add to the list of pets!!!

Hey, I adore this thread!!! I would have posted sooner, but I've been sooooo busy with work and family, yanno.

There is an exotic pet store here in Vegas that really rocks!!! They have all sorts of animals and such....mostly snakes, TONS of snakes. They also have quite a few other animals, too, and they sell all kinds of frogs and amphibian supplies to go with them, so I go there. The last time I was there, they had sugar gliders, much like yours. I spent a lot of time watching them, because they seem to really love those little cloth "hammocks" they have for them. Those little guys really rock!!

Thanks for this thread!!! It's good to talk to others who keep pets of a slightly "exotic" nature!!! :D

~Theo~ :bunchflowers:

NotAnAverageGuy
12-14-2009, 11:25 AM
Hey, I adore this thread!!! I would have posted sooner, but I've been sooooo busy with work and family, yanno.

There is an exotic pet store here in Vegas that really rocks!!! They have all sorts of animals and such....mostly snakes, TONS of snakes. They also have quite a few other animals, too, and they sell all kinds of frogs and amphibian supplies to go with them, so I go there. The last time I was there, they had sugar gliders, much like yours. I spent a lot of time watching them, because they seem to really love those little cloth "hammocks" they have for them. Those little guys really rock!!

Thanks for this thread!!! It's good to talk to others who keep pets of a slightly "exotic" nature!!! :D

~Theo~ :bunchflowers:

Yw Theo

And yes they love love those lil hammocks and such.

Feel free to post in here when you got time, I like hearing about other forms of pets besides dogs and cat!!!

I honestly haven't really come across any frog stuff at the pet stores down here, they sell em but no enclosures and such.

violaine
12-14-2009, 03:48 PM
hi

mr. theo :)

i love frogs- growing up in florida, windows at my grandparents house far set in wekiva springs state forest, were often visited for long periods of time, with these amazing green tree frogs; i was fascinated by sticky pads on their feet!

we also saw regular toads, happily munching up stray kibbles in a pet dish.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_green_tree_frog

good to see you, dear friend :smileyXmasTree:

wishing you all a merry holiday season.

belle

violaine
12-14-2009, 03:54 PM
[QUOTE=NotAnAverageGuy;21351]I found a site that sells sugar glider stuff from t shirts to unique gifts

http://www.zazzle.com/sugar+glider+tshirts

the pricing is great and it's cheaper if you buy in bulk.

hallo notanaverageguy! :)

i read your post several times about the t-shirts, and i thought of them being for gliders. do you mean shirts with gliders printed on them for people to wear?

not an advoate of the harnesses and leases, clothing for small animals- guinea pigs are not at all built for leash-walking [or dragging, as unsupervised children may do!].

hope you are all having a great afternnon.

belle

NotAnAverageGuy
12-14-2009, 05:46 PM
no human t shirts for us to wear LOL

I am not sure if you clicked on the link or not, Zazzle is like Cafe Press

Andrew, Jr.
12-15-2009, 06:06 PM
Mr. Theo,

I am a huge frog lover. I have saved hundreds of frogs in a corn field that was being turned into a strip mall. I have 3 frog homes that I have thrown out from usage. I found these at yard sales. Where do you go to find them online say? When I put in grass seed this past spring, I had 42 frogs in my front lawn alone. :freak:

Also, where do frogs go during the winter months? I still cannot find the answer to that question.

Andrew aka The Frog Daddy :frog:

NotAnAverageGuy
12-15-2009, 11:23 PM
One of my glider friends had her first joey cannabalism the other night, the online community was abound with tons of information concerning the matter.

I came up with my own answer, NEVER house 2 females with 2 unfixed males who are in a breeding colony, it's a recipe for disaster. If I was to become a breeder every single one of my couples would be in separate cages away from each other, it cuts down on fighting and mating wounds and joey rejection and cannabilism.

violaine
12-15-2009, 11:54 PM
wow.

i know a ferret will kill a bird in a milli.second if the situation presents.

guinea pigs can rip off ears, noses, et c. and sometimes fight to the death -

really is important to read in advance before living with a small animal friend in order to understand very natural instincts often overlooked in these small/exotic pets.

NotAnAverageGuy
12-16-2009, 12:59 AM
wow.

i know a ferret will kill a bird in a milli.second if the situation presents.

guinea pigs can rip off ears, noses, et c. and sometimes fight to the death -

really is important to read in advance before living with a small animal friend in order to understand very natural instincts often overlooked in these small/exotic pets.

Very true that alot of research needs to be read over and observed, she is not new to sugar gliders but new to breeding and thats where I think things fell apart, she couldn't decipher the difference in breeding than to having them as pets.

violaine
12-16-2009, 02:31 PM
i'm not exactly sure the dealio with stardust and moo.moo of late :skateboard: the boys have been pushing their beds to one side of the station [baby changing lower deck]. oddest thing- all these years untouched/unmoved.

i think i may have overheard someone say, "let's make more work for our human!'

;)

:listening:

NotAnAverageGuy
12-16-2009, 02:33 PM
i'm not exactly sure the dealio with stardust and moo.moo of late :skateboard: the boys have been pushing their beds to one side of the station [baby changing lower deck]. oddest thing- all these years untouched/unmoved.

i think i may have overheard someone say, "let's make more work for our human!'

;)

:listening:

HAHAH I bet they just love seeing you do more work for them

NotAnAverageGuy
12-18-2009, 10:25 AM
I rarely trust anything on craigslist but there is a cage that a guy is selling that is HUGE for the suggies, only thing he wants $100 bucks for it, ugh too high for me right now, me and my dad can prolly build one cheaper, IF I can ever get my dad to do that kinda stuff with me.

~Red~
12-19-2009, 03:04 PM
My Daddy has as beautiful Parakeet, it's gorgeous to say the least. The problem is, it is sooooo noisy! "Serenity" I guess in the last year has started to almost scream, it's no longer a chirp or her whistles. She gets to fly around quite a bit but anytime she is in her cage(a big one) she goes nuts! She does it even when the blanket is over her cage. It's painful to hear and both of us are frustrated as we feel helpless. It's gotten to the point that Hy is considering giving the bird up to a sanctuary.

Does anyone have suggestions?

NotAnAverageGuy
12-20-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm sorry I don't know anything about birds but maybe someone else can come along and help you, but contact an avian vet and see if they can help you.

NotAnAverageGuy
12-28-2009, 04:30 PM
One of my friend's glider is expecting babies soon yay!!!

about 3 more weeks and thing 1 and thing 2 will arrive!!!!

Let me see if I can post a pic of baby bumps:

http://www.sugarglider.com/97081031.jpg

if you look down towards the belly you can see bumps those are joeys