PDA

View Full Version : The Reputation System - How, Exactly, Does it Work?

Words
12-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Okay, I give in. I've been trying to figure it out for the past couple of weeks now but alas, it's beyond me.

Linus? Medusa? Anyone?

Corkey
12-09-2009, 03:21 PM
Okay, I give in. I've been trying to figure it out for the past couple of weeks now but alas, it's beyond me.

Linus? Medusa? Anyone?

Will join you in the head scratch.

Bit
12-09-2009, 03:24 PM
*laughing* I can't figure it out either--and I thought it was just me!--but I wonder if it might be tied to the Thanks button somehow.

NJFemmie
12-09-2009, 03:24 PM
I'm scratching too.

Um, my head, that is ....

Rook
12-09-2009, 03:25 PM
u see the scales?
by the Blue/green dot, between the Sign, bottom left of a persons mini profile?...
U click that...
However, I've received quite a few Reps ( Im guessing the Reps are a heads-up thumbs up with a small approval opinion, or question in private added}, only have maybe a single green cube...
So, yeah..hmm

:awww:

suebee
12-09-2009, 03:28 PM
I think the "thanked post" system has kinda usurped the rep system. :blink:

little man
12-09-2009, 03:35 PM
I think the "thanked post" system has kinda usurped the rep system. :blink:

you said "usurped." *swoon*

Linus
12-09-2009, 03:41 PM
*heh*

The reputation system (also sometimes referred to as the "Karma System") is a way for user to indicate support or dislike of a post. You can hit the little scales (found at the bottom of left of each person's post) and choose either "I approve" or "I disapprove". You can also include a comment.

This adds to your reputation provided that the person hitting the scales has reputation to offer (must be a value over 50 points). You can see your points when you go to UserCP. That value will appear just above the reputations and Thanks you receive. The higher the number of points, the greater the number of "green balls" you'll get.

How much reputation you get from someone hitting those scales will depend on how many points someone has (the value is a percentage of their points).

Now, the Thanks Button is a variation of the Rep in that it allows individuals to give a quick "positive" rep and quick thanks for a post. This was created to lessen the simple "Thanks" posts for information. In this very supportive environment, it's taken off like wildfire (far greater than I would have imagined). I am contemplating creating a modified version of it that would be a "Hugs" (for those times you want to show support for someone when down, facing a challenge, etc.).

That said, it's up to you if you want to use it. That really is a personal choice and just because you receive "Thanks" or a positive rep from someone doesn't necessarily mean you need to do so in return.

Let me know if that helps any and if you have more questions, need something clarified or if I didn't quite answer what you were looking for.

:linus:

Medusa
12-09-2009, 03:46 PM
Here is a small explanation from vBulletin:

"User Reputation in its simplest form is a ranking of your user's benefit to your forum. Its basis comes from the opinions of all of your forum users that choose take part in it.

Users gain and lose reputation based on how their posts are scored by other forum participants. Users with the ability to affect reputation, will either give or take aways points by approving or disapproving with a post's content."

A few notes here:

* Nobody on BFP can leave a negative reputation except for the Admins or mods (I doubt this would ever be used)

* Every user starts out with a level '10' reputation.

* Your reputation points determine how many points you give to someone when you "rep" them.

* For every year that you are a member, you get a rep point.

* For every 1000 posts, the user gets 1 rep point.

* For every X points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power. (meaning, if I have 200 rep points, then I can give 2 points to a user by repping them)

* Users must have 20 posts before reputation hits count on other users

* Users can give unlimted rep comments over a 24-hour period.

* Users do NOT have to spread rep around between other people before repping the same person.

When we started looking at the rep system, we wanted to make it be much less about how many points a person had than the communication that comes with it, hence unlimited reps :)

I apologize for being late in providing an explanation of how it works.

suebee
12-09-2009, 04:04 PM
you said "usurped." *swoon*

I got more where that came from bay- :floatbee: :kissy:

Words
12-09-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks Linus and Medusa, I'm still unclear as to how it works but it's late and I'm tired so I'll just have to take another look at what you wrote in the morning.

Thanks though for the responses - much appreciated:)

TeaPartyTart
12-09-2009, 04:14 PM
In case anyone cares, I belong to the Barbie school of "Math is Hard!" (pout!). I appreciate the detailed explanation from both Linus and 'Dusa but please don't ask me to explain it back to anyone.

Personally I get a kick out of the comments on the repped posts. They make me feel like I'm not the only weirdo out there who has issues with stuff (like feet). Points aside, I love the love!

Tootles,
Tart

Apocalipstic
12-09-2009, 04:36 PM
I just have to say I love all the options to send positive vibes.

Yeayy!

Mister Bent
12-09-2009, 05:48 PM
In case anyone cares, I belong to the Barbie school of "Math is Hard!" (pout!). I appreciate the detailed explanation from both Linus and 'Dusa but please don't ask me to explain it back to anyone.

Personally I get a kick out of the comments on the repped posts. They make me feel like I'm not the only weirdo out there who has issues with stuff (like feet). Points aside, I love the love!

Tootles,
Tart

Me too. I could care less about points, but I like the clever, sweet, crazy shit people say in their reps. The "Thanks" falls flat to me.

Also, sometimes I worry that the "Thanks" can become sort of alienating, as when a bunch of people "Thank" a member after they take another to task. I don't know if I'm being very clear...but there's ust been something that's felt sort "off" about it to me from the get go.

(There are disapproving reps? Is that another paid option?)

Linus
12-09-2009, 05:52 PM
Me too. I could care less about points, but I like the clever, sweet, crazy shit people say in their reps. The "Thanks" falls flat to me.

Also, sometimes I worry that the "Thanks" can become sort of alienating, as when a bunch of people "Thank" a member after they take another to task. I don't know if I'm being very clear...but there's ust been something that's felt sort "off" about it to me from the get go.

(There are disapproving reps? Is that another paid option?)

I'm very curious about the part that I've highlighted. Could you explain it using an imaginary example (you can use me as the "bad guy")? I never thought of this and want to get it clear in my head so I can understand where you're coming from.

As for disapproving reps, when you assign reps you have the option to choose "I Approve" or "I disapprove". The system defaults to the "I approve" and Medusa (correct me if I've misunderstood, bossy lady! :cheesy: ) has made that only available to mods and such to keep the site about supporting each other.

Words
12-09-2009, 06:27 PM
I too have issues with the thanks system as is. And yes, I do think it has the potential to alienate.

Say two folks were discussing a 'hot' topic and I thanked one. It might be because I agree with them and appreciate their speaking up. It could also be, however, because I disagree with them but still appreciate their offering an alternative point of view. The problem is, the other person, who has no way of knowing why I am thanking them, could easily assume that I'm taking sides, which in turn could make them feel alienated.

Make sense?

Words

NotAnAverageGuy
12-09-2009, 06:28 PM
No wonder when I hit 1,000 posts my rep went from 2 to 3

so basically it takes 100 rep points and thanks to get up to another rep power level

*puts out more cookies for admin and linus*

Words
12-09-2009, 06:36 PM
Okay, so that I understand.

Thank you!

(And thanks Linus for mentioning that the negative feedback option doesn't actually exist...not being able to find it was driving me nuts;))

Mister Bent
12-09-2009, 06:57 PM
I'm very curious about the part that I've highlighted. Could you explain it using an imaginary example (you can use me as the "bad guy")? I never thought of this and want to get it clear in my head so I can understand where you're coming from.

As for disapproving reps, when you assign reps you have the option to choose "I Approve" or "I disapprove". The system defaults to the "I approve" and Medusa (correct me if I've misunderstood, bossy lady! :cheesy: ) has made that only available to mods and such to keep the site about supporting each other.

Words described one relevant scenario.

Another might be when moderation occurs in a thread and one user is specifically targeted. While many may agree that it was necessary and want to support the mod's efforts, half a dozen people publicly "approving" of the moderation has the appearance of a dog pile. (I can PM you with an example of the sort of thing to which I refer.)

"Thanks" may show support and show appreciation for another's words, but isn't that why there are reps (and replies)?

It's not a huge deal, just something that's been niggling at me a bit, and that maybe deserves a little more consideration.

Linus
12-09-2009, 07:15 PM
I too have issues with the thanks system as is. And yes, I do think it has the potential to alienate.

Say two folks were discussing a 'hot' topic and I thanked one. It might be because I agree with them and appreciate their speaking up. It could also be, however, because I disagree with them but still appreciate their offering an alternative point of view. The problem is, the other person, who has no way of knowing why I am thanking them, could easily assume that I'm taking sides, which in turn could make them feel alienated.

Make sense?

Words

It does make sense. But at the same time, I've seen people quote a whole post and say something like, "great post" at the end and that's it. Doesn't add much to the conversation (which is why I suggested this to Medusa -- kind of a way to alleviate those and hopefully encourage more discussion).

At the same time you could thank both for their posts at giving you alternate views of things, whether you agree or don't agree. :)

Words described one relevant scenario.

Another might be when moderation occurs in a thread and one user is specifically targeted. While many may agree that it was necessary and want to support the mod's efforts, half a dozen people publicly "approving" of the moderation has the appearance of a dog pile. (I can PM you with an example of the sort of thing to which I refer.)

"Thanks" may show support and show appreciation for another's words, but isn't that why there are reps (and replies)?

It's not a huge deal, just something that's been niggling at me a bit, and that maybe deserves a little more consideration.

Well, the concept of the "Thanks" button was to thank for information or providing a post that was useful. As I mentioned above, it was more to address those simple "thanks for a great post" responses that can appear after one post and nearly kill a discussion. I think the usage here is beyond that.

The "dog pile" affect (and I have seen those elsewhere) can even happen in replies. I actual detest that. Yes, sometimes we need to be reminded to play nice with each other (doesn't mean agree; just respectful) but everyone else continuing to echo it (kinda like kids in playground) is a bit much. Perhaps disabling for the mods and admin to avoid that effect?

This definitely gives me more food for thought as I never really realized that this was being used in that way. As much as I like it, I wonder if perhaps it would be better to remove it given that it may have an adverse effect (creating more divisiveness than supporting each other).

:deepthoughts:

Selenay
12-09-2009, 07:37 PM
Now, the Thanks Button is a variation of the Rep in that it allows individuals to give a quick "positive" rep and quick thanks for a post. This was created to lessen the simple "Thanks" posts for information. In this very supportive environment, it's taken off like wildfire (far greater than I would have imagined). I am contemplating creating a modified version of it that would be a "Hugs" (for those times you want to show support for someone when down, facing a challenge, etc.).

If, in fact, you do chose to implement this feature, I would personally appreciate it if you would make the option to turn off "hugs" available.

I'm okay with being thanked, but I don't want to be hugged.

Corkey
12-09-2009, 07:39 PM
If, in fact, you do chose to implement this feature, I would personally appreciate it if you would make the option to turn off "hugs" available.

I'm okay with being thanked, but I don't want to be hugged.

Here here! I prefer to be thanked.

NotAnAverageGuy
12-09-2009, 08:03 PM
Agreed as well I don't want hugged I prefer being thanked

Bit
12-10-2009, 01:58 PM
I think the thanks button gets used more like the "like" button on facebook, yanno? People have been thanked for posts that were funny or positive or deeply sharing, as well as posts that were informational.

I don't know what I think about it. I haven't seen it being divisive, although I see Bent's point about thanking a Mod. It might be useful to disable the thanks button for "moderating-function" posts.... although if you disabled it permanently on Dusa, I would be quite unhappy! It's nice especially to be able to thank her when she explains or announces things...

What if instead of disabling it, you just made the thanks private, like reps are private? Then it wouldn't dogpile anybody, it wouldn't be divisive in any way, and it wouldn't impede the flow of the threads.

asphaltcowboi
05-18-2011, 06:36 AM
i have a question for a friend that is trying to join...unpaid sub... she says she keeps getting the notice "you do not have permission" eve just trying to log into this site... are there still unpaid subs?

Medusa
05-18-2011, 06:47 AM
i have a question for a friend that is trying to join...unpaid sub... she says she keeps getting the notice "you do not have permission" eve just trying to log into this site... are there still unpaid subs?

All subscriptions are free for basic access. If someone is getting that message, it's either because their IP has been banned or they are trying to come in under a proxy.

Have they sent a message to me on the "contact us" form?

Random
05-18-2011, 08:27 AM
I'm greedy, I want both!!!!!

I like the thank you button for post that I agree with or like what they say on a general note... I don't have much more to say than Thank you..

I use the rep feature to comment on a post.

I have no problem double teaming a post. Leaving a rep note after I have thanked them to let them know why I thanked them.

The thank you button is cheap and easy... lol

Like in the *What are you listening to* thread. I don't want to leave a rep note saying.. *Great Song* for every song that I like...

I would miss the thank you button a great deal.

Star Anise
07-02-2011, 03:20 PM
I haven't been here very long, so wasn't here before the "thanks" function was added, but I personally enjoy it. I also agree (being a member of various other forums as well) that it takes away the need to post short "great post" posts.

I guess I do sort of use it as a "like" button, to appreciate the posts of others, and the few times that I have been thanked so far for my own posts felt pretty good.

:nixon:

Stitch
07-02-2011, 03:22 PM
Anyone know how the Math for the Thanks and Reputation system works?

Gemme
07-02-2011, 05:49 PM
It's something like 1 point for every 100 or so thanks and the points you get from reps depends on the number of points the person repping you has. So, someone with 100000 points would not bump you up as much as someone with 200000 points.

Is that what you meant?

LoyalWolfsBlade
09-25-2012, 12:52 PM
Ok Linus, Medusa, or anyone just a question...and yes I read all of these posts looking for the answer myself before asking.

What does it mean when you see a blank private rep?..I get the whole system other wise but am seeing blank private reps on some of my posts and I am tired of scratching my head about what it means. So does anyone have an answer? Thanks for helping a not so newbie anymore....

Linus
09-25-2012, 01:00 PM
Ok Linus, Medusa, or anyone just a question...and yes I read all of these posts looking for the answer myself before asking.

What does it mean when you see a blank private rep?..I get the whole system other wise but am seeing blank private reps on some of my posts and I am tired of scratching my head about what it means. So does anyone have an answer? Thanks for helping a not so newbie anymore....

What do you mean a blank rep? Do you mean an empty rep with no comment?

LoyalWolfsBlade
09-25-2012, 01:08 PM
What do you mean a blank rep? Do you mean an empty rep with no comment?

Yes exactly...no public ty sometimes with the public ty but sometimes just by itself...*scratching head and laughing* :seeingstars:

Linus
09-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Yes exactly...no public ty sometimes with the public ty but sometimes just by itself...*scratching head and laughing* :seeingstars:

I'll take a look to see what you're getting and let you know afterwards.

ETA: means someone has left you a rep without a comment.

Nat
09-28-2012, 09:18 AM
I love the "thanks" feature (for one thing, my iPhone doesn't let me rep people) but I also like that it doesn't mean necessarily "I agree" as much as "I find this valuable to read" if that makes sense. I find myself wishing there were a "thanks" button on other sites I visit.

Gemme
09-28-2012, 08:00 PM
I love the "thanks" feature (for one thing, my iPhone doesn't let me rep people) but I also like that it doesn't mean necessarily "I agree" as much as "I find this valuable to read" if that makes sense. I find myself wishing there were a "thanks" button on other sites I visit.

Exactly.

To me, it's a 'think' button more than a 'thanks' button. If what you said strikes a chord in me and/or makes me think differently about something, then you get my click.

If you notice, I click that button a lot.

:blink:

asphaltcowboi
11-07-2012, 12:05 PM
ok so im wondering about the thanks button in the posts. do you ever run out of thanks you can send? all of the sudden for some reason every time i hit the thanks on a post it tells me i do not have permission but then i can still make the personal thanks with a coment? why would this be?

Gemme
11-07-2012, 09:15 PM
ok so im wondering about the thanks button in the posts. do you ever run out of thanks you can send? all of the sudden for some reason every time i hit the thanks on a post it tells me i do not have permission but then i can still make the personal thanks with a coment? why would this be?

Yes, you can. I've done it multiple times, although I don't think we're supposed to. I just talk that much. :)

Every once in a while, I'll get a glitch like that too. I'll be able to do one or the other but not both. I've learned that if I want to thank AND leave a rep, I need to rep the person first, then click the thanks button. It won't work the other way.

NorCalStud
11-07-2012, 10:48 PM
The rep system. I thot it was only when you post a comment. Im gonna be honest. Thanks is cool...Rep is weird...just sayin.....it is oh like...well that will be all.

My question is thusly
...ever since I got timed out for a month...upon my return my scarlet rep is that I see a constant message on nearly everone's post..that says "you have zero rep and zero posts and you are not going to get to look at links . Now I dont care about reputation...not even a tiny eeny weeny bit but seeing a constant reminder is somewhat something....bottom line....Im okay with just logging in and connecting.

Linus
11-07-2012, 10:55 PM
The rep system. I thot it was only when you post a comment. Im gonna be honest. Thanks is cool...Rep is weird...just sayin.....it is oh like...well that will be all.

My question is thusly
...ever since I got timed out for a month...upon my return my scarlet rep is that I see a constant message on nearly everone's post..that says "you have zero rep and zero posts and you are not going to get to look at links . Now I dont care about reputation...not even a tiny eeny weeny bit but seeing a constant reminder is somewhat something....bottom line....Im okay with just logging in and connecting.

any chance you can get a screenshot and send it to me (syrlinus [at] gmail)? I'm not sure what you are seeing as rep shouldn't have been affected by your timeout.

NorCalStud
11-07-2012, 11:54 PM
I went away and came back and it all looks good as far a zero rep and zero post etc. Now I believe, after a quick checking, problem solved Linus. Thankyou.