PDA

View Full Version : shooting things

stonewalldog
06-22-2012, 11:13 AM
I am an avid hunter. I own a couple rifles and alot of shotguns. I hunt mostly birds..ducks, geese, pheasants, etc. My wife purchased a Ruger .270 rifle for me last Christmas. I am new to big game hunting and have killed a pig. Yes, we eat what I kill.

Who else here hunts? Anyone here who shoots guns at inanimate targets?

The Oopster
06-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Not a hunter or a shooter, but had to come in here.

The last forest I worked on things were often stolen or destroyed physically.

On this forest the saying is "They won't take it, they'll just shoot it!"

Evidenced by the numerous bullet holes in everything and anything!

BrutalDaddy
06-22-2012, 11:38 AM
I used to hunt a lot when I was younger. Every winter was like double Christmas time because of the presents and being able to hunt.

It's been years but I still like to skeet shoot whenever possible. My wife isn't one who much likes deer meat so hunting to eat isn't really an option at the moment. Lol. Hopefully I'll get to skeet shoot here again soon but we'll see.

Oh yea, my wife can handle a gun better than most folks I know. Kinda scary actually. Want to take her to a gun range but haven't because not sure how my ego will take it when she outshoots me. :|

Love the 2nd Amendment,
Brute.

PinkieLee
06-22-2012, 12:31 PM
Although I am not a hunter, I am a fan of shooting guns.

We have a 22, that we take out to a family friend's property (out of the city limits), where they have targets set up on big ol' bales of hay. D's dad has a 357 & a 9mm I've shot... but the 22 is my favorite. Less kick, noise & easy to handle.

G Snap!
06-22-2012, 01:03 PM
I have a carry permit, and my carry weapon is a Kahr MK9 (9mm.) It is my "little baby" and has no recoil and is quite fun to shoot. I also have a .38 special my ex bought me almost 20 years ago... He taught me how to handle, shoot, and clean a gun and it's something good I take from him. If anything happens to my Dad I will inherit a small arsenal of rifles, handguns, and (what I covet most) a sweeeeet Kimber 45.

I don't care to hunt, but hold the upmost respect for those who do and eat what they kill. I should try it sometime to make sure I can wrestle up some grub if the zombie apocolypse happens...

I love to go to the range, but ammo is pricey - I haven't looked lately but my Kahr, like any semi-auto, can chew through a box of 50 in no time.

I'm sorry BrutalDyke, but you are letting your ego get in they way of seeing your wife shoot? :eyebrow: I don't know about you, but my @ gets quite randy seeing me with a gun in my hands. Grow some ***** and go shooting. Make a date night out of it, there is nothing that will get your blood pumping and give your libido a little boost than a trip to the range. :)

durrrrrrrr
06-22-2012, 01:15 PM
Although I am not a hunter, I am a fan of shooting guns.

We have a 22, that we take out to a family friend's property (out of the city limits), where they have targets set up on big ol' bales of hay. D's dad has a 357 & a 9mm I've shot... but the 22 is my favorite. Less kick, noise & easy to handle.

gangsta......

always2late
06-22-2012, 01:19 PM
I don't hunt, but I do like to go to the range and target shoot. I'm not a hypocrite...I eat meat, so therefore cannot blast RESPONSIBLE hunters. What burns me up though, are those "weekend warriors" who suddenly decide they need to get a gun and shoot something. When I lived in upstate NY, we had to keep our dogs inside during hunting season because these idiots would shoot anything that moved (or didn't move, as there were bullet holes found in some of our neighbors' houses). It also pisses me off when I find a dead deer that someone wounded but was too stupid to track. I respect people who actually know how to hunt properly, and use what they kill.

chefhmboyrd
06-22-2012, 01:25 PM
I haven't been hunting since i was a kid, but planning on getting in on the bow season this winter... maybe rifles.
:fastdraq:
Ms Snap (as seen above) is quite the lil pistol packer... and a deadly shot.
so i better watch my step..........
would love to do some bird hunting...
:rubberducky:
duck and venison are two of my favorite game meats...
but a nice big wild boar roast would be GREAT

we should do a BFP hunting trip to TX and bag a pig or two!!!!

PinkieLee
06-22-2012, 01:43 PM
gangsta......

Yeah, I know you've seen the pics :)

stonewalldog
06-22-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks for all the responses.....I know that some hunters are irresponsible but I am not one of them....not only do I think it's wrong but I, also, make my living from the hunting industry and want to keep a good reputation....some of the local Fish and Game officers are my good friends too....

My wife can shoot targets with a pistol better then me....Of course, I would never let her beat me just so she will keep coming along with me...:giggle:

RNguy
06-22-2012, 03:42 PM
Hey stonewall :) I'm appalachian so of course I hunt !!!!!!!
I hunt deer, turkey , hog, squirrel, coon, possum , fox ( shhhhhh ) :) , and everytime I see any snake on my property or in the woods I kill those just because I hate snakes . I love turkey and deer meat a lot . What I kill , I have it processed and give the meat to the shelter so the homeless people can eat .
I'm a great shot with guns however I'm horrible with the bow .
I'm about to get a crossbow with a scope so I can bow hunt and actually be successful.
Good to see another hunter fan around .

Wolfsong
06-22-2012, 04:08 PM
I was blessed this Christmas......Andi bought me a new Benelli Supernova 12 ga. I must say........it is so choice! I also have 2 Remingtons (a 12ga Wingmaster and a 30-06, an Ithica 20 ga, and a Smith & Wesson model 224-1 .22 (which I am half-way to hate with) I love the shooting sports and want to get into 3 Gun. Anyone already doing it?

Wolfsong
06-22-2012, 04:19 PM
I have a carry permit, and my carry weapon is a Kahr MK9 (9mm.) It is my "little baby" and has no recoil and is quite fun to shoot. I also have a .38 special my ex bought me almost 20 years ago... He taught me how to handle, shoot, and clean a gun and it's something good I take from him. If anything happens to my Dad I will inherit a small arsenal of rifles, handguns, and (what I covet most) a sweeeeet Kimber 45.

Unfortunately I live in Illinois.....we are the 1 state in the union that does not alow carry-conceal. I'm hoping they do away with that this year. My screaming piece of crap S&W 224 will only work for this if I;

1. Hit someone over the head with it
2. Drop it on their toe

I was checking out the Taurus Judge but am seeing a ton of mixed ratings on it. I haven't fired it but have handled it and it seems ok. I'm actually leaning hard now towards a Sig 380. Haven't fired it either but there is a guy at our gun range that has both the Judge and the Sig so I am going to hook up with him to test fire.

Anyone have any thoughts on either of these weapons or another that would be suitable for CC?

stonewalldog
06-22-2012, 09:40 PM
off the top of my head without opening the gun case....
I have a Mossberg 835 pump 12 gauge, Remington 870 20 gauge, another pump 12 gauge which is Benelli knock off, a Stevens over under 20 gauge, Beretta 391A 20 gauge, a 12 gauge Auto Benelli M2 field in camo, A Ruger .270 rifle and a Marlin .22 LR rifle.

I use my buddies pistol when we go to the range or just shoot out in my pasture.

stonewalldog
06-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Hey stonewall :) I'm appalachian so of course I hunt !!!!!!!
I hunt deer, turkey , hog, squirrel, coon, possum , fox ( shhhhhh ) :) , and everytime I see any snake on my property or in the woods I kill those just because I hate snakes . I love turkey and deer meat a lot . What I kill , I have it processed and give the meat to the shelter so the homeless people can eat .
I'm a great shot with guns however I'm horrible with the bow .
I'm about to get a crossbow with a scope so I can bow hunt and actually be successful.
Good to see another hunter fan around .

I have been turkey hunting several times and all I get is the puck puck puck sound when they are walking away. LOL!!!

Rockinonahigh
06-22-2012, 09:51 PM
I was born and raised in Louisiana,been hunting a lot in the past but not in a long time.I am a responsable hunter so what ever I bring home we eat or share with friends.Last year my chiro invited me and my son to his place in Texas for a pig hunt.Yes,they do have bout everything bigger in Texas cause I brought so much hog meat home I ended up giveing a bunch a way after both my freezers got full,it was a mess to process but shure good to bbqing.

thedivahrrrself
06-22-2012, 09:52 PM
I haven't been hunting since i was a kid, but planning on getting in on the bow season this winter... maybe rifles.

YES! I strongly encourage all hunters to please bag a pig or two (or four!) in Texas before those things overtake the entire Southern United States. There is no game like wild boar. I'm sure they make great bacon. Just get 'em out of there before they swim across the Red River!

(not a hunter, but I have a gun. Getting ready to get my concealed-carry.)

Blade
06-22-2012, 11:58 PM
Good to see the site has some hunters and gun enthusiast. I enjoy hunting and shooting targets. I won't list all my guns here, but they are plentiful. I enjoy eating wild game. I'm not a billy goat so I don't kill signs, don't imagine they are to tasty. Much of what we ate growing up was wild game, squirrels, rabbits, quail, deer, duck, goose, frogs and fish. We also had the aide of Beagles and Pointers and Setters and Labs. A good dog is an asset and back then we didn't feed dogs just for fun, unless it was a house dog. They had to have a purpose.

RNguy
06-23-2012, 03:50 PM
I have been turkey hunting several times and all I get is the puck puck puck sound when they are walking away. LOL!!!

LOL !!!! Don't sweat it . Geez turkeys are actually smart . If it makes you feel better it took me 3 seasons to kill me one . My first turkey was a Jake and I was excited . I had been in the same Spot for 4 hrs cramped up . I use mouth turkey callers instead of the scratch ones . The scratch ones sound better but the mouth piece callers free your hands up.
Anywho , I have fun whether a kill a 10 point buck or spend all day and miss 4 turkeys . :) let me know if you come to ky , wv , or southern Ohio .

RNguy
06-23-2012, 03:53 PM
Good to see the site has some hunters and gun enthusiast. I enjoy hunting and shooting targets. I won't list all my guns here, but they are plentiful. I enjoy eating wild game. I'm not a billy goat so I don't kill signs, don't imagine they are to tasty. Much of what we ate growing up was wild game, squirrels, rabbits, quail, deer, duck, goose, frogs and fish. We also had the aide of Beagles and Pointers and Setters and Labs. A good dog is an asset and back then we didn't feed dogs just for fun, unless it was a house dog. They had to have a purpose.

Wanna go frog giggin ? Haha I know there is a brokeback mountain joke in this somewhere :) peace brother

stonewalldog
07-03-2012, 02:48 PM
http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/videos/rachel-maddow-at-the-westside-pistol-rifle-range-20120627

damn....cut and paste the link to get it to work....I suck at this computer stuff......

Bleu
07-03-2012, 06:09 PM
I like to shoot things.

Usually it's a rattler in the yard with a S&W .38

I'd prefer my Rossi .38, :fastdraq: but it's in the bottom of a lake in Alaska...*sigh*

Syr
07-03-2012, 10:39 PM
How the hell did I miss this thread!
I am an avid hunter and I like many, don't kill what I don't eat. My favorite hunt is the deer season. Absolutely one of the highlights of the year. I have an old Marlin 3030 that is the weapon of choice for whitetails.
I seem to have acquired a 'few' 12gauge pumps over the years. My fave is the Ithaca. Oddly enough I don't seem to use them for hunting. For birds here, grouse, I like my lil 410. Nice and light, does the job nicely.
For varmints as I call them, I have a Ruger .223 Can't beat it for coyotes, groundhogs etc. and no, I don't eat the coyotes.....but he bastards eat my chickens and cats! I have horses so that makes the groundhogs real unwelcome.
I have a crossbow but have found i'm not too fond of it. Would prefer a bow.
There's a few other rifles in the cabinet :)

stonewalldog
07-06-2012, 08:23 AM
I like to shoot things.

Usually it's a rattler in the yard with a S&W .38

I'd prefer my Rossi .38, :fastdraq: but it's in the bottom of a lake in Alaska...*sigh*

How did your gun get in the bottom of a lake?

stonewalldog
07-06-2012, 08:28 AM
How the hell did I miss this thread!

I seem to have acquired a 'few' 12gauge pumps over the years. My fave is the Ithaca. Oddly enough I don't seem to use them for hunting. For birds here, grouse, I like my lil 410. Nice and light, does the job nicely.
:)
Hey Syr....I am glad you found this thread too.

The first gun my dad had us all shoot was a single shot .410. The last time I hunted with my dad that was the gun I shot. I got 3 rabbits to his one. He was so proud!

The second gun we all shot was a Ithaca 20 gauge pump. I don't know the model but it was gorgeous. I am sure that my mom still has it somewhere.

Bleu
07-06-2012, 08:30 AM
How did your gun get in the bottom of a lake?

The one-sentence answer is:

Someone threw it there.

stonewalldog
07-06-2012, 04:23 PM
The one-sentence answer is:

Someone threw it there.

After a crime? ROFLMAO.......

Seriously, I am sorry to hear that....

Today, I did make arrangements to get a used Glock model 22 .40 cal.
It is a used service weapon from California Fish and Game department.
It will be my first handgun to own. I am stoked!!

Bleu
07-06-2012, 06:54 PM
After a crime? ROFLMAO.......

Seriously, I am sorry to hear that....

Today, I did make arrangements to get a used Glock model 22 .40 cal.
It is a used service weapon from California Fish and Game department.
It will be my first handgun to own. I am stoked!!

LOL! Yes!!!! LOOOOONG story...

(ok, not that funny as I DO miss that damn sidearm) C'et la vie.

Glock's a good gun.

stonewalldog
07-07-2012, 06:46 PM
LOL! Yes!!!! LOOOOONG story...

I do like a long story.

Yeppers about the Glock! I am stoked

Ginger
07-07-2012, 08:13 PM
I shot a rabbit when I was 11.

My grandparents lived on a ranch and one afternoon when everyone went out, I stayed home with my grandfather. When I complained to him (perhaps more than once...), that I was bored, he did what had always worked in keeping his boys entertained when they were growing up—gave me a gun and sent me outside. First, of course, he gave me a safety tip: Don't aim toward the house.

I enjoyed having the fields to myself, and felt very important walking around swinging a loaded handgun. Soon I saw a rabbit, and thanks to beginner's luck, I shot him, and carried him back to the house by his hind leg.

I left him on the porch, got a kitchen knife, and went back out to cut his foot off, planning to make a lucky rabbit's foot charm for myself, and take it back to Maryland, where I was about to enter the seventh grade in a new school (my sixth). It took a lot of sawing to get the foot off. Then I wrapped it in tin foil, and buried it deep in my suitcase.

A few days later, when my mother was putting away clean clothes, she smelled the rotting foot, and pulled it out.

Mom: What's this?
Me: A rabbit's foot.
Mom: Where'd you get it?
Me: I shot it.
Mom: Where'd you get the gun?
Me: Granddad.

She stormed off, there was a lot of stage-whispered fighting in another room, and no one ever said another word to me about it.

Years later, after my grandfather died, I brought up the story with my grandmother.

She smiled and shook her head: "He'd let you girls do anything."

stonewalldog
07-13-2012, 12:16 PM
I shot a rabbit when I was 11.

My grandparents lived on a ranch and one afternoon when everyone went out, I stayed home with my grandfather. When I complained to him (perhaps more than once...), that I was bored, he did what had always worked in keeping his boys entertained when they were growing up—gave me a gun and sent me outside. First, of course, he gave me a safety tip: Don't aim toward the house.

I enjoyed having the fields to myself, and felt very important walking around swinging a loaded handgun. Soon I saw a rabbit, and thanks to beginner's luck, I shot him, and carried him back to the house by his hind leg.

I left him on the porch, got a kitchen knife, and went back out to cut his foot off, planning to make a lucky rabbit's foot charm for myself, and take it back to Maryland, where I was about to enter the seventh grade in a new school (my sixth). It took a lot of sawing to get the foot off. Then I wrapped it in tin foil, and buried it deep in my suitcase.

A few days later, when my mother was putting away clean clothes, she smelled the rotting foot, and pulled it out.

Mom: What's this?
Me: A rabbit's foot.
Mom: Where'd you get it?
Me: I shot it.
Mom: Where'd you get the gun?
Me: Granddad.

She stormed off, there was a lot of stage-whispered fighting in another room, and no one ever said another word to me about it.

Years later, after my grandfather died, I brought up the story with my grandmother.

She smiled and shook her head: "He'd let you girls do anything."

Great story!
The first critter I shot by myself was a rabbit. It was on a Sunday when I was 12 or 13. Anyway, I took the single shot .410 out by myself and eventually found and shot the rabbit. I brought it home and went to get my dad. He was watching football on tv. I told him what I had done and asked if he would help me clean it. I told him that I didn't want him to clean just show me how. He looked all confused and said he would be right outside as he went into his bedroom.
I sat outside with the dead rabbit for, what seemed like, forever. Finally, he came outside holding a box. It was a Buck knife box. He said he bought the knife awhile back to give to his son which ever one was the first to shoot game without him. He said I had earned it so he was giving it to me. Boy...were my brothers jealous.
My dad was a good man and I miss him. I still have that knife.

Bleu
07-13-2012, 12:21 PM
Great story!
The first critter I shot by myself was a rabbit. It was on a Sunday when I was 12 or 13. Anyway, I took the single shot .410 out by myself and eventually found and shot the rabbit. I brought it home and went to get my dad. He was watching football on tv. I told him what I had done and asked if he would help me clean it. I told him that I didn't want him to clean just show me how. He looked all confused and said he would be right outside as he went into his bedroom.
I sat outside with the dead rabbit for, what seemed like, forever. Finally, he came outside holding a box. It was a Buck knife box. He said he bought the knife awhile back to give to his son which ever one was the first to shoot game without him. He said I had earned it so he was giving it to me. Boy...were my brothers jealous.
My dad was a good man and I miss him. I still have that knife.

stonewalldog,
That is one of the best life stories I've read on this site. My heart just contracted.
~Bleu

stonewalldog
07-14-2012, 08:25 AM
stonewalldog,
That is one of the best life stories I've read on this site. My heart just contracted.
~Bleu

What a nice compliment! Thanks!

mountainbikedyke
07-15-2012, 07:18 AM

Yo bro! I'm going to start looking for my lefty bow! Also, my boss may have some land for us to hunt for deer season...