PDA

View Full Version : Motivation/Inspiration: What drives you?

Linus
07-04-2012, 06:30 PM
So I've been trying to get back my motivation I used to have a while ago. Lately, I've been feeling burnt and worn. Sometimes it's justified (working 60-80 hours a week, especially on the road); and sometimes not so much. I've been trying to figure out what it is that is holding me back (I know it's me but I'm not sure what "me" is doing to cause this). I still have desires to do my old long distance bicycle touring but I haven't been on any of my bikes for any consistent or long periods in the last 3-5 years. A couple of years ago I got into minimalist/barefoot running for a solid 3 months or so and then stopped.

And it's not just exercise. I'm currently under contract to write a technical certification book and have the worst writer's block at time. I stare at the page and get maybe one or two paragraphs (if I'm lucky) done. I've gotten about 40 pages done (roughly 2-3 decent starts on chapters and one that needs a lot more flushing out). My publisher wants this done by Jan 1, 2013 -- which may seem like a long ways away but, in reality, is creeping up fast (and will speed by faster).

So I think one of the things that I'm feeling is missing is motivation or inspiration. What do you do to motivate yourself on life (whether exercise, household chores, work, etc.)? What do you do to inspire yourself (could be religious, non-religious, visual or audio)?

As my sis says "Find joy y'all". So how do you find those things that create joy and the want/will to do more?

Blaze
07-04-2012, 06:43 PM
Excellent thread Linus...
I. Like you, am stuck, not figuring what, where, or how to get out of this funk. Perhaps it's because work is stressful, or because I am using it as an excuse to not have a drive. But I will be watching this thread carefully because I need to get out of my funk also...
I need something exhilaration, I know I can't wait for anyone to save me, nor is there a magic pill. I have to find my balance, my inspiration, my desire...
I am so clever to cheer on everyone else, and I am good at pretending I am driven, but immediate people that know me. Shake their heads and say, your not fooling me... Soooooooo I need to get back to paddling, doing active things, and stop feeling sorry for myself. Even the gym isn't getting my full attention anymore. 2013 is right around the corner. Got to get moving.

I look forward to hearing what others do to get going... Signing up X_________

Corkey
07-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Fear is the great motivator. My health was failing and the doctors weren't listening, I held it back. Then fear that I'm not getting younger and that if I didn't speak out and demand they do something, nothing would happen. I could not loose weight because there were fibroids that were sucking the life out of me.
Guess what? They're gone and nothing is holding me back but the years that have destroyed my joints. I'll deal with that and gladly.
Nothing will get in the way of my getting healthy ever again.
Find out your fear and listen to it, then change it.
You can do this Linus.

girl_dee
07-04-2012, 08:41 PM
i have a few passions in my life and sometimes i lose motivation .... it always comes back but during the in-between i question myself.

i don't push it, i just wait it out, then before i know it i am knee deep in the fun again.

One way to stop myself from procrastinating is to make lists.. then try to stick to them, it feels great to actually complete the list at the end of the day.

Just_G
07-04-2012, 08:47 PM
<-------Also burnt and having a hard time finding motivation!

I attempted to play pro tackle football and went to all the training camps until I hurt the posterior tibial tendon in the arch of my left foot. I was on such a roll with practice and was working on getting back in to shape...it was hard work, but with the motivation of the team, I was doing it. I wanted so badly to feel like I am a part of something.

Here I am 6 months later, my foot still bothers me, even after weeks of physical therapy. I cannot run without it flaring up, then I feel like I am back to square one.

I am trying to find a bike that I can afford and use as often as possible. I am wanting to do shorter rides on weeknights, then get with friends on Saturday mornings to go for longer rides.

I was feeling pretty down the last month or so and changed my diet to juicing 2 of my 3 meals and eating right at night. That did bring my energy level up signifigantly, but motivation to exercise was lacking. Then, I watched a video of athletes that are missing limbs or are handicap, and I thought to myself; what the fuck am I whining about? Pain in my foot after I exercise? Come on G!! I am thankful I still have all of my limbs, and I am thankful I have the ability to go out and do things that a lot of people cannot do.

I often wonder why I get in these ruts of LOM (lack of motivation)...I just have to push through it and drag my ass out of the house and enjoy my life...but I can't enjoy it from the recliner while whining about my foot!! It won't get better until I strengthen it.

Great thread Linus!! I do wish I lived closer to butch/trans community so I had some people to work out with and help in the motivation department!

Linus
07-04-2012, 10:09 PM
So I was doing a little searching this evening (my office has a light that's gone out so no old fashioned writing tonight) and found this suggestion from one blog in regards to getting motivation back:

Read about it daily. When I lose motivation, I just read a book or blog about my goal. It inspires me and reinvigorates me. For some reason, reading helps motivate and focus you on whatever you’re reading about. So read about your goal every day, if you can, especially when you’re not feeling motivated.

I remember when I was at the height of my cycling that was in fact what I was doing: reading about how to lose weight, how to improve my cycling form, etc. I've been trying to get into that habit for running instead as I may try that for a bit (since it'll be easier for me when I'm on the road).

I know one thing I have that I'm trying to alleviate: too many things going on. Over the next few weeks one major project will be done and that will probably help. I found that actually scheduling my time to meet with a fitness trainer was the only way I could get some basic fitness in place. I need to push more beyond that.

Quote for the day:

Be not afraid of growing slowly; be afraid only of standing still.
Chinese Proverb

Hollylane
07-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Like Corkey, fear is a motivator for me.

My fear is based on the fact that if I don't get up and do these things today, I might not have that opportunity tomorrow.

Serious health issues have made me miss a lot of my life over the past few years, and it is uncertain whether some of them will return or not.

I'm not going to claim that I am always on top of my game. Right now, I am lacking motivation. I think it is because I can't do the physical activities I really want to do (still recovering from a recent umbilical hernia repair), but the reality is that I am slacking. There are other activities I could be doing to remain active in the meantime, so that I am prepared to do the things I really enjoy again when I am able.

I don't want to miss any more of my life because of lack of motivation. I have a bucket list, and I have things I am going to do. So, there are things I need to do every day to make these things possible. Having been inactive for a number of years, I have a lot of physical catching up to do.

The truth is, I am very proud of what I have accomplished physically and emotionally in the past year and some change. I have regained a lot of my strength and determination, and have participated in things I have been longing to do for years, and some that I have never done. But today, I could use some motivation tools and tips too.

I like this thread Linus. Just hearing from other people, and seeing my own words here feels motivating.

Read about it daily. When I lose motivation, I just read a book or blog about my goal. It inspires me and reinvigorates me. For some reason, reading helps motivate and focus you on whatever you’re reading about. So read about your goal every day, if you can, especially when you’re not feeling motivated.

And I really like the suggestion above. I actually do that now, when I need motivation for writing poetry. So, now I will make an effort to do it for all of the other things I plan to accomplish/experience.

Bella~Vita
07-05-2012, 04:18 AM
After I lost my Mother in 2008 it became very hard to motivate. I keep telling myself my Mom wouldn't want me to become stagnate. I remember her saying surround yourself with positive people where you can learn new things.

I'm slacking right now, I joined the gym and for the past 2 weeks I have not gone. I hate doing things as of sort alone. So I kick myself in gear and joined and went alone. Yay, I faced my fear, but I retreated as my friend would say.

After talking with this person who has great strength and character and constantly doing his homework, I felt inspired. So now everyday I will try my best and do 1 thing positive in my life.

Hmmm, just got an idea ..... for a thread let's see if this can help us people . Can I get some feed back on the title? This is a positive thing, where we can be accountable for our goals.

~Kat~ :fastdraq:

Linus
07-05-2012, 06:53 AM
@Kat_FL: Maybe something like "Being Held Positively Accountable" or something like that? To me it's not the title that's critical, it's the content.

Speaking of which, I got up earlier today with the intention to run. I didn't run but I did stay up -- which is one step closer than I was. I choose healthier options last night for dinner and feel somewhat hungrier for it. Maybe even getting into a better routine will help. At the least, it's given me a bit more time to work on the book. I have a couple of minor things to deal with first before I continue writing today.

Don't let the fear of striking out hold you back. -- Babe Ruth

Seems rather apropos for the start of my day.

girl_dee
07-05-2012, 06:57 AM
Sometimes we are being steered in a certain direction and we don't see it, or get why...

Linus
07-06-2012, 07:45 AM
Well, I still haven't given up. I'm waking up earlier to do a bit more. I still didn't go running and I've managed to twist a muscle in my neck but at least I have about 3 chapters ready for the editor today so that's good. I'm reviewing them this morning and then doing other stuff after my workout with my trainer. And maybe I'll take the puppies out on a longer walk this afternoon in place of the run (I do quick speed walks with them as they need to lose a few pounds as well).

Quote of the day:

There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle -- Albert Einstein

Jett
07-06-2012, 08:00 AM
I make changes, sometimes small but I think the bigger the better... step out of my box and do and experience NEW unexpected things (for me). And big doesn't have to mean major life changes (unless it does)... just maybe something I or others would think I would never do, step out of "the comfort zone"... somehow it all re-charges me.

I'm a total believer that life should never become one big routine... I think tasting everything you can keeps it fresh, helps keep one motivated and excited in each new day.

Good luck Linus

Rockinonahigh
07-06-2012, 10:42 AM
Lack of motivation,has been a problem of mine for a while,but I have times im right on the money and things are great.I honestly do beleave some of it is from not being around possitive reinforcements that keep me on the right track.I shoot a lot of pool and have for the last three years,I have gone from a begainer to a fairly good player but hear lately I havent played consistantly as well as I did last year.Part of my problem is im on a league team that has just falling apart,by that I mean no one is playing casue its fun anymore,there is no team cohesiveness or inthuseasm.For the last two years we have been the top ladies team in out area but havent been able to win in the playoffs wich has not done any good for us as a team.Last night we had a game..people on our team came ,played when it was theire time to play,them left after playing.Out of 5 games we didnt win one...heck we havent won a games since we started this session.Its bumed us all out,tonight is my 9 ball night and im seriously thinking of calling out cause I dint want to deal with our resident hot shot amature who is constaltly calling time outs on everyone...really he neend to win a fue games himself befor trying to tell others what to do.Yes,I do spend lots of time playing pool since I retired,I like being competive by improveing my skills at the game...last year I won 16 contenus games part in 8 ball the rest in 9 ball.I'm seriously considering droping out of playing pool the next session just to give me some down time from team play then just play for myself in some of the inhouse amaeture pool tournaments at the local pool halls,at least it will be a change and a chalenge.
As for the rest of my life ,well its going pretty well,my diabetis is under controll,im exersisenign 3 or more days a week plus im eating better because of being accountable for balanceig those parts of my life,so I do have parts of things going well.

Linus
07-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Well, I am moving forward, albeit it a bit slow. I think one of my biggest challenges is travel. As much as I love travel I feel like it interferes with my plans. I'm home, now, for 3 weeks in a row. I get into a routine and then I'm off again (I have this week then off to Palo Alto, then home for a week then vacation..) It's somewhat disturbing and challenging. But I'm trying. I've decided that the puppies will come with me when I try my running (going to try to do the C 2 5k).

Maybe I need to get back into my blog writing as that provided some motivation and drive.

Quote for the day:

Each person has an ideal, a hope, a dream which represents the soul. We must give to it the warmth of love, the light of understanding and the essence of encouragement. -- Colby Dorr Dam

Linus
07-09-2012, 07:50 AM
So I'm still working on my motivation and drive and getting somewhat better. We're trying a fruit/veggie juice fast this week. I've been trying to ensure that I'm getting up earlier so I can start the day better. I also joined SparkPeople which is a weight loss site but also works on things like drive and motivation. And now, off for training.

Quote for the day:

Change and growth take place when a person has risked himself and dares to become involved with experimenting with his own life.
Herbert Otto

Tony
08-06-2012, 08:54 AM
When you do something nice for someone you're really not supposed to talk about it. But I did something Sunday morning that gave me such a good feeling that I'm going to share with the hopes of soliciting some like minded actions from anyone who may read this.
I was driving downtown early this morning. No traffic, beautiful sky. I saw an elderly homeless woman sitting on a concrete bench with all her worldly belongings & I had an incredible urge/need /desire to do something for her. In my review mirror I see an older guy walking toward her & he sits down; I know I have to do something for him as well. I drove over to McDonald's & got 2 orange juices, 2 coffees & a selection of mcmuffins & breakfast burritos. I drove back to the courthouse where they were, got out of the car & said "Good morning. Would you like some breakfast?" The old woman's face lit up with a big smile and she said "Yes". I put the drink tray & bag on the bench between them, described the contents & said "Have a nice day." They both appeared hesitant, but as I drove away I watched in my rear view mirror as she dug thru the bag.
Hours later I still have such a warm feeling to have been able to do something, however small, for someone in need. If I feel good, I have to imagine they feel even better. I'm now motivated & inspired to do more.
Can I inspire anyone else?

Tony
08-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Happy Monday Morning!
In my continuing state of being inspired & motivated to do random acts of kindness; today's episode.
At work this morning 2 of the women are trying to figure out where the incessant cricket chirping is coming from. We determine he's under the steel runner of the doorway. So, after listening intently, I stomp my heel onto said runner. Chirping stopped. I walk away pleased with myself. A RIP sign is attached to the door jamb. Problem solved.
Within 15 minutes, the incessant chirping begins again. From under the runner. Where I stomped it. So, now I figure the little guy must be trapped. Can't turn around & get out. So out to my trunk I go & gather some tools. I tear the runner up (because of course the screws are stripped & won't come out). We wait a minute or two, & out comes an enormous cricket from the now destroyed peeled up corner of the runner. He's quickly loaded onto a dust pan by one of the women & released in the wild. Now, while this is not as profound as feeding the homeless, in the end I was grateful my steel toed stomps hadn't killed him. It was after all, one of God's creatures.

Tony
08-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Well, as of yet I have not performed anything inspirational or especially motivating. Unless of course you count the couple bottles of beer I saved from extinction. My liver is motivated.

Nerdboi
08-09-2012, 01:24 PM
I find motivation from within and through the experiences of others. I think about the end result. Thinking that you have one life to live...live it well. That fire within.. is within us all. We have to listen to it and find that fire somehow someway, cheesy as that may sound its there. Motivation for me is independence and being free from all constraints in life. I could go on and on about this subject. Listen to your gut and get rid of all those damn negative thoughts cause all its going to do is keep you from what you need to be doing in life, easier said then done I know.

Amber2010
08-09-2012, 02:10 PM
Stress is such a big factor in life. I always thought it would not be so bad as I got older but seems like it just gets worse. What helps me is exercise. I try to go to the track every day. I Walk/run to get the stress of the day out. To get me in the car and driving to work I love to turn my favorite tunes as high as I can and sing to them. I am sure people driving by me look and shake their heads but by the time I get to work I am ready for the day and whatever comes my way. I always try to wake up saying today is going to be a great day. Look at myself in the mirror ans smile and even laugh a little at myself. :)

Nerdboi
08-09-2012, 02:24 PM
Stress is such a big factor in life. I always thought it would not be so bad as I got older but seems like it just gets worse. What helps me is exercise. I try to go to the track every day. I Walk/run to get the stress of the day out. To get me in the car and driving to work I love to turn my favorite tunes as high as I can and sing to them. I am sure people driving by me look and shake their heads but by the time I get to work I am ready for the day and whatever comes my way. I always try to wake up saying today is going to be a great day. Look at myself in the mirror ans smile and even laugh a little at myself. :)

I agree exercise is great stress reliever. It has saved my life in so many ways. That's awesome you sing in your car..so awesome!

Sachita
08-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Reading this post, by you Linus really resonated with me. Like you I have big projects and responsibilities. I am famous for biting off more then I can chew and then hustling to put it all together. I am by far my worse enemy. Maintaining balance is something I have to work very hard at. Even though my logical mind knows that my health is paramount to my success I often slip into sabotage. part of me things this is almost a self destructive thing that lingers in my spirit. Another part of thinks its my inner child rebellion against all all the responsibly and demand a chance to play. I am a fucking die-hard who will work myself to insanity because I'm too stubborn to give up. With my strengths also comes my weaknesses & they often battle. This is often true with eccentric people.

The people around me play a big part in my life and happiness. If I am around people that drain my energy I get off kilter and self destructive. If I'm around highly motivated people I'll feed off that and I'm full speed ahead. I try not to allow too many cartoon people in my life all at once. But the reality is that sometimes I just get to the point where I've had enough. With every single ounce of motivation I have left I have to MAKE myself get up and move. It starts by getting out of bed, taking a short walk, taking a shower and getting dressed. Sometimes working at home we fall into ruts, laziness and spend the day in pajamas. We work crazy hours and we don't eat right. I have to work hard to pull myself back in line. This takes action and that action leads to more. I am lost without meditation. I would have no discipline without it.

Lately I am having a problem keeping motivated. I think that its because I'm unsure of a few things, unfinished business and indecisive about my next move. This puts my Taurean nature into a tail spin. I need some electric spirits around me right now. People who eat healthy, think consciously and can inspire me. I may have to seek them out. I also take lots of breaks, go for drives and spend time with my granddaughter. She makes me think about things and wanting a better life for her naturally makes me want to work harder.

JustJo
08-09-2012, 07:49 PM
I'm another one, I confess, that is motivated by fear and responsibility more than anything.

I've been diabetic going on 30 years now (only 15 of those diagnosed), have carpal tunnel, some eye damage and nerve issues in the feet because of the diabetes. I've watched family members endure excrutiating medical procedures and die young because of this disease. It keeps me watching my diet and continually working to be more active (something that doesn't come naturally to me).

I've also been a single mom for the vast majority of my son's life....and, hokey as it sounds, I want to both give him a better life than I ever had, and also set a good example for him.

Honestly, I'd love to just lay around....be waited on....sleep. It seems like I never really get enough rest, or have a break that lasts more than a brief vacation (one of the reasons I treasure vacations so much)....but I don't want him to think that that's the way to live your life.

So....I keep working on being healthier....and I keep working at working....but I think it's more compulsion than inspiration. :)

Kätzchen
09-23-2012, 05:04 PM
I think for me, what drives and feeds my level of ambition or motivation is when I make time to be present in a natural setting. Sometimes, when I feel like I cannot make a decision or feel stranded by certain sets of circumstances, I find that carving time out of each day to go for a walk, really helps me.

I had this class, years ago, where our professor had us do a weeks worth of taking an hour or so out of each day and going for a walk. What he wanted us to do was notice the natural beauty on our walk and enter into our diary the things we noticed, the condition of the environment: for example, how the air smelled to the texture of leaves on plants or trees, things of this nature and to notice how we felt while immersed in time and space while on our daily 'time-out' - one might say. This exercise was really useful to me because when I spent time focusing on natural elements in the setting, wherever I spent time for my walk in nature, I came back to the present with less of a stressful state and a kind of renewed focus; which felt positive and invited me to think differently about things. The physical and mental exercise spent in a natural setting acted like a healing balm of sorts, for me.

Whenever I feel like I am standing still or stranded or find myself procrastinating on making a decision, I still do this kind of physical and mental exercise and nearly always find that I feel differently about things, than I did before I spent time deliberately taking in as much of nature to renew my sense of well-being.