PDA

View Full Version : Calling all students

stephfromMIT
08-13-2012, 04:37 PM
Come out, come out, wherever you are! Let's talk about the life of a student.

stephfromMIT
08-14-2012, 11:18 PM
Just bumping to say I'm a Physics Ph.D candidate at MIT. Most interested in Plasmas and Astrophysics.

girl_dee
08-15-2012, 06:22 AM
i love being a student!

right now i am trying to obtain a teacher certification in the bodywork modality that i do, Reflexology.

Got through the Anatomy and Physiology phase, now working on curriculum and some self work i have to do to satisfy my teacher.

i could have never had this opportunity before, so having the gift of time and funds to do so is something new to me, so i am heading forward!

thedivahrrrself
08-15-2012, 06:41 AM
I have determined that after my masters degree, I'm going to be functionally illiterate. I used to enjoy reading; now it is a chore.

lusciouskiwi
08-15-2012, 06:42 AM
I've just started my Master's in TESOL online with the uni I graduated from. Not doing too well so far :( Not doing a very good job at focusing. :((

Medusa
08-16-2012, 09:59 AM
Student here!

Going back to school for my Masters. Just got my books yesterday and am feeling really nervous. I haven't been in school in about 8 years and am feeling rusty.

AND I lost my mind and am full time this semester with a 50-hour work week AND this site. I'm crazy.

princessbelle
08-16-2012, 10:05 AM
I have been looking into, and thinking for a long time now about going on to get my Masters and Nurse Practitioner license. For the past month i have had so many things come in the mail it's hard to not see the signs that maybe i should do this.

Hearing all of your stories and journeys are very inspirational.

I just signed up for more literature and that is a big first step for me.

Thanks for sharing all!!!!

always2late
08-16-2012, 10:12 AM
I'm currently working towards my degree in Speech Pathology, was originally going for my Masters in nursing, but changed mid-stream when I decided that I needed a career change. And may I just say...I LOVE being a student! If I ever won the lottery, I would probably become a professional student...no major, just taking classes that interest me, about anything and everything! :glasses: (and yes, I claim my Nerdy McGeekpants-ness proudly! LOL)

lusciouskiwi
08-18-2012, 07:38 AM
What do you do to focus? Whether it's something you need to read or write...

Semantics
08-18-2012, 08:01 AM

Unfortunately, I usually need a crushing amount of pressure. Ha!
I do my best work if I procrastinate until the very last minute. Something about the intensity of scrambling, the empty library at midnight, and the fear of imminent consequences all seem to do it.

It's a terrible strategy and I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure it's just pure dumb luck that I've never had something come up, or that there was a book or a research article that I desperately needed for my work that I couldn't get my hands on at the last minute.

This semester I'm taking two grad courses, and I'm determined to be better. For my two undergrad degrees I stayed in an area that I knew well, but now I've veered off my planned path and into a field where I'm not so surefooted and things may not come as easily.

lusciouskiwi
08-18-2012, 08:09 AM
I do my best work if I procrastinate until the very last minute. Something about the intensity of scrambling, the empty library at midnight, and the fear of imminent consequences all seem to do it.

It's a terrible strategy and I wouldn't recommend it. I'm sure it's just pure dumb luck that I've never had something come up, or that there was a book or a research article that I desperately needed for my work that I couldn't get my hands on at the last minute.

This semester I'm taking two grad courses, and I'm determined to be better. For my two undergrad degrees I stayed in an area that I knew well, but now I've veered off my planned path and into a field where I'm not so surefooted and things may not come as easily.

What are you studying Ms Semantics? Your user id is funny since my Master's is under the School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies.

I think the key to procrastination is finding out the root cause of it. I know what you mean. Lots of us do it though eh? Not healthy though.

Nadeest
08-18-2012, 08:56 AM
I am going for my AAS in Culinary Arts, and will be studying some Baking and Pastry Arts as well. I don't know yet, though, if I am going to get an Associate's degree in Baking and Pastry, yet, or simply take a few classes to learn more about that side of the kitchen. I'll only need about 8 or 9 more classes to get my Associate's in that field, so I might end up doing that.

QueenofSmirks
08-18-2012, 09:16 AM
I, too, love being a student! It took me 18 years to finally be able to go back to college. Don't get me wrong, I bitch every week about having to do homework, but I know someday, when I'm done and have my degree in hand, I'll be lost LOL. It's just so much a part of my life, even when I have a break I feel like I don't know what to do with the extra time!

As someone else posted, I'm also a "pressure student". I wait until an alarmingly late hour to start on papers and other important assignments, then work like a fiend to accomplish the task. I've tried other ways, but always revert back - it's just part of my nature - I always perform better under stress.

Kudos to all of my fellow students! :)

Medusa, wow! I am sending positive energy your way - that is quite a load!

DamonK
08-18-2012, 09:24 AM
Been trying to go back for years. Assuming nothing goes wrong, I'm back for 3 math classes and one law.

SleepyButch
08-18-2012, 09:50 AM
I too am a student. After being a nurse for many many years, I am working on my bachelors in software engineering. It is challenging working a full time job and having to do the work but it will be worth it. I have one more year to go. I'm doing it online because I would not have the motivation to go to class every week.

I love learning new things and love that I am using my brain again.

lusciouskiwi
08-18-2012, 10:44 AM
I too am a student. After being a nurse for many many years, I am working on my bachelors in software engineering. It is challenging working a full time job and having to do the work but it will be worth it. I have one more year to go. I'm doing it online because I would not have the motivation to go to class every week.

I love learning new things and love that I am using my brain again.

Wow, that's quite a career change! Good for you Sleepy.

Martina
08-18-2012, 11:45 AM
I thought about it. It's a great career and interesting. But it's just too long a haul for me at this age.

I am going to be taking online classes -- free -- this year in math and science. They will allow me to be highly qualified as a teacher in these subjects -- as a Special Educator.

When I finished my credential, which was harder for me than any academic work I had done before (because of my age probably), I was like "NEVER AGAIN!"

But I think I knew when I said that that I couldn't hold to that.

I haven't started the online work yet. But I think it will be fine. Fun, even.

I'm currently working towards my degree in Speech Pathology, was originally going for my Masters in nursing, but changed mid-stream when I decided that I needed a career change. And may I just say...I LOVE being a student! If I ever won the lottery, I would probably become a professional student...no major, just taking classes that interest me, about anything and everything! :glasses: (and yes, I claim my Nerdy McGeekpants-ness proudly! LOL)

stephfromMIT
08-18-2012, 12:33 PM
Quantum Field Theory III
Quantum Mechanics I
Statistical Mechanics I

cinnamongrrl
08-18-2012, 03:27 PM
I'm planning on starting skool in Sept. I'm taking my pre reqs for the RN program but hoping to get into an LPN program next September. I've always enjoyed school and im VERY much looking forward to it :)

always2late
08-19-2012, 05:31 PM
After reading the posts, I thought I would throw a question out there....how many are taking online classes as opposed to the actual classroom? When I got my nursing degree, many of my classes couldn't be taken online (for obvious reasons...a lot of them were clinical in nature). Luckily, I was able to transfer many of my credits, and CLEP even more...so now, I have the option to take a good number of classes online. I've always been a bit leery of online classes, because I felt that I needed the discipline of an actual classroom setting. However, this summer I took two online classes and, to my surprise, really enjoyed it! I'm thinking of perhaps splitting the rest of my remaining classes 50-50 between online and classroom. If you are taking online classes...what have been your experiences with them? Do you find them easier or harder? Are you online by choice, or is that all that is available?

My Fall classes:
Speech Science I
Sign Language
Aging and the Law
Intro to Physical Science

stephfromMIT
08-19-2012, 06:10 PM
2late-All my classes will be on MIT's campus.

BoDy*ShOt
08-19-2012, 06:12 PM
"it is never too late to be what you might have been." -George Eliot

a favorite quote that inspires me to work at the person I am meant to be.

I'll be returning to school to finish an undergrad degree, finally. because it is never too late.

DamonK
08-20-2012, 10:40 AM
After reading the posts, I thought I would throw a question out there....how many are taking online classes as opposed to the actual classroom? When I got my nursing degree, many of my classes couldn't be taken online (for obvious reasons...a lot of them were clinical in nature). Luckily, I was able to transfer many of my credits, and CLEP even more...so now, I have the option to take a good number of classes online. I've always been a bit leery of online classes, because I felt that I needed the discipline of an actual classroom setting. However, this summer I took two online classes and, to my surprise, really enjoyed it! I'm thinking of perhaps splitting the rest of my remaining classes 50-50 between online and classroom. If you are taking online classes...what have been your experiences with them? Do you find them easier or harder? Are you online by choice, or is that all that is available?

My Fall classes:
Speech Science I
Sign Language
Aging and the Law

My classes are all online. It has its drawbacks. I don't go to class therefore accountability falls on me and me alone. Likely, my dom will end up making rules to help me do the work.

For me, being deaf, it makes sense. Otherwise, I get to go to student services, turn in lots of paperwork, and drag an interpreter to class. In many ways, that makes the class much harder. I pay attention to my terp and forget to take notes. Or I take notes and forget my terp. I've gone the route of someone else taking notes for me, but couldn't hold the new I.information in my brain because they weren't MY notes. So...unless you're one of the professors that utilizes online and offline, I'm much less likely to succeed.

Novelafemme
08-20-2012, 11:19 AM
Today I start my Masters/PhD program in Mexican American Studies with an emphasis on Chicana/o History and Pedagogy. I was so excited and nervous last night a barely slept a wink. I picked up my books last week and have been perusing them and looking forward to an enlightening and enriching first semester of grad school. There are actually four more books than what I have posted below, but fortunately I already have them in my home library. And I still have one class missing its booklist!! Let's just say I will be knee deep in books for the next 2-8 years. ;) I LOVE IT!

I am also working full time and raising two girls. ;) Medusa, I'm right there with you in the thick of crazyville!!

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/s720x720/284874_10151524715132715_1463597345_n.jpg

Novelafemme
08-20-2012, 11:58 AM

My Fall classes:
Speech Science I
Sign Language
Aging and the Law

Hi Always,

I'm curious to hear how your sign language class goes; assuming it is one you are taking online.

I have taken a ton of online courses and each one has been fairly unique in its own right. Most of them were in my minor area which was Sociology. One of the toughest ones by far was a Sociology of Gender course I took in the spring. I thought it would be a piece of cake since my major was Gender & Women's Studies, but the prof weighted our entire grade on three exams. I got a C on my midterm and brought my A down to a B. I have found that the more work there is, the harder I work in turn. My online linguistics class this summer required a lot of interaction via a discussion forum where the class met three times a week. That was in interesting class and provided more of a interactive platform which is a nice change from the solitary realm of online academics.

I definitely do better in face-to-face classes, but that's probably due largely to me being so easily distracted when I'm online (oh, lookie...Facebook!) But, if it weren't for online courses I would not have been able to graduate as quickly as I did given my work/family schedules.

lusciouskiwi
08-22-2012, 11:02 PM
My Master's in entirely online. My uni uses Blackboard. We're supposed to post work related to each week's readings. There's no opportunity to mix with classmates off BB and folks tend to only post what's necessary so no interaction - we don't have any online discussions.

I'm behind in my readings and have a terrible mental block and like others I'm easily distracted. :seeingstars:

I don't do very well when I feel isolated so I don't like not having an opportunity to interact with classmates off BB.

lusciouskiwi
08-22-2012, 11:05 PM
Today I start my Masters/PhD program in Mexican American Studies with an emphasis on Chicana/o History and Pedagogy.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/s720x720/284874_10151524715132715_1463597345_n.jpg

How do you do a combined Master's/PhD? What's the pedagogy aspect of it? Looking forward to hearing more about it and love your pile of books, they look so interesting! I only have one textbook but heaps of articles.

sylvie
08-25-2012, 01:30 AM
Oh, how excited am i to find *this* thread , seriously!
i am a newly registered college girl, starting on Sept 7th.
i am very ready and very nervous, of course.
Working on a nursing degree. i have been wanting to do this for a long time, and am so ready for it now..I love to learn - and ready to give this my all!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay for a student thread!
Interacting with others as students here will be a huge positive for me..
Having that support as a mature student, this is great!

always2late
08-25-2012, 02:42 AM

I feel so much better knowing I'm not the only person who does this! I, too, seem to function much better under extreme pressure...I write better papers, find I retain more of what I study, etc... And I also beat myself up for it every semester, always telling myself that I MUST get into better study habits, that I am setting myself up for failure should something unexpected come up. This year, I think I might finally have to break the bad habit of waiting until almost the last minute. One of my classes is Sign Language...and since I'll be learning an entirely new language, and a physical one at that, I don't think I'll be able to fall back on my "last minute" methods.

Hi Always,

I'm curious to hear how your sign language class goes; assuming it is one you are taking online.

Hi Novela! The sign language class is one that I will be taking on campus. They aren't offering it online, and I don't think they will. I haven't seen it offered as an online class in past semesters. Given the nature of the course..I'm not sure that it could be effective online. It's funny...when some family members and friends heard that I was taking the course, they all hit me up for lessons...so it looks like I will have ample practice! LOL

On a totally different note...your books look REALLY interesting! :)

Novelafemme
08-27-2012, 01:20 PM
How do you do a combined Master's/PhD? What's the pedagogy aspect of it? Looking forward to hearing more about it and love your pile of books, they look so interesting! I only have one textbook but heaps of articles.

Hi Lusciouskiwi!

Many graduate programs will offer combined degrees! I am studying at the University of Arizona and our graduate college offers several in the areas of hard sciences and linguistics.

As of the fall of 2013, the Mexican American Studies Department here will offer a PhD in MAS and all current graduate students with a 3.5 GPA will automatically be allocated a slot in the program.

Pedagogy means the science of education. So in terms of my graduate focus it means I will be studying the history and educational practices of both Old World and New World Mexico. Although, I am already leaning toward a new focus. :) I don't have to decided until the end of the Spring semester, tho. PHEW!

lusciouskiwi
08-27-2012, 04:38 PM
Hi Lusciouskiwi!

Many graduate programs will offer combined degrees! I am studying at the University of Arizona and our graduate college offers several in the areas of hard sciences and linguistics.

As of the fall of 2013, the Mexican American Studies Department here will offer a PhD in MAS and all current graduate students with a 3.5 GPA will automatically be allocated a slot in the program.

Pedagogy means the science of education. So in terms of my graduate focus it means I will be studying the history and educational practices of both Old World and New World Mexico. Although, I am already leaning toward a new focus. :) I don't have to decided until the end of the Spring semester, tho. PHEW!

Wow, sounds like a lot! I know what pedagogy is just wasn't sure what it meant in terms of your studies :) What's your new focus (or is it a secret)?

:typewriter::glasses:

lusciouskiwi
08-27-2012, 04:40 PM
Hi Novela! The sign language class is one that I will be taking on campus. They aren't offering it online, and I don't think they will. I haven't seen it offered as an online class in past semesters. Given the nature of the course..I'm not sure that it could be effective online. It's funny...when some family members and friends heard that I was taking the course, they all hit me up for lessons...so it looks like I will have ample practice! LOL
[/QUOTE]

Don't know if you've already seen this Always ...

sv3tadz5Q3o

Medusa
08-27-2012, 06:59 PM
WOOTIFER!

I took my first quiz this morning at the butt crack of dawn and scored the max 110 points!

Needless to say, I was very stoked by this. It was only 22 questions long but 12 of them were s/a.

I have a full load this semester and my type 'A' personality says that I have to have a 4.0 at the end of this semester. We'll see. One of my Profs is not only ex-military but a double PHD. She is TOUGH. :|

I broke out my trusty old leather satchel and will march my ass back on campus tomorrow night for a live class. Something weird about being 35 and surrounded by young 20-somethings but it's also a nice social plugin.

LOVING being back in school so far!

lusciouskiwi
08-27-2012, 07:28 PM
WOOTIFER!

I took my first quiz this morning at the butt crack of dawn and scored the max 110 points!

Needless to say, I was very stoked by this. It was only 22 questions long but 12 of them were s/a.

I have a full load this semester and my type 'A' personality says that I have to have a 4.0 at the end of this semester. We'll see. One of my Profs is not only ex-military but a double PHD. She is TOUGH. :|

I broke out my trusty old leather satchel and will march my ass back on campus tomorrow night for a live class. Something weird about being 35 and surrounded by young 20-somethings but it's also a nice social plugin.

LOVING being back in school so far!

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YUZDZPmjihw/TQ0fOXsBezI/AAAAAAAACNs/6rIoL4ogMvw/s1600/1894970312_b10c5d5ff7.jpg

I know you may have told us, but I'ma feeling lazeeee ... what are you studying?

Novelafemme
08-27-2012, 09:38 PM
Wow, sounds like a lot! I know what pedagogy is just wasn't sure what it meant in terms of your studies :) What's your new focus (or is it a secret)?

:typewriter::glasses:

It's not a secret, just something I have been gnawing on for a while. :)

If I do pursue a PhD, then I will need to enroll in the thesis portion of my masters program, and what I'd like to focus on is trauma and affect studies as byproducts of neocolonial, neoliberal, and immigrant policies. I think it could make a fabulous thesis project as well as material for a dissertation.

If I don't do a thesis then I will opt for the exam option and possibly punctuate my academic career with my M.A.

We shall see!

Congratulations Medusa!!!!!

thedivahrrrself
08-27-2012, 10:25 PM

I hate the profs that assign nothing but articles! Research is a great supplement, but there are only so many methods sections I can take in one sitting!!

lusciouskiwi
08-27-2012, 10:41 PM
what I'd like to focus on is trauma and affect studies as byproducts of neocolonial, neoliberal, and immigrant policies.

Wow, sounds really interesting. Keep us all posted eh? :)

Medusa
08-28-2012, 04:05 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YUZDZPmjihw/TQ0fOXsBezI/AAAAAAAACNs/6rIoL4ogMvw/s1600/1894970312_b10c5d5ff7.jpg

I know you may have told us, but I'ma feeling lazeeee ... what are you studying?

I'm going back for my MBA! The university that I attend doesn't currently offer a Masters in MIS so I had to settle for this for now. There are rumors that they are working up a program (which makes sense since that city is the Silicon Valley of Arkansas *snort*)

So far, classes are interesting and heavy with marketing (which I love!).

atomiczombie
08-28-2012, 04:09 AM
I am attending John F. Kennedy University in Pleasant Hill, CA working on my MA in Marriage and Family Therapy. :)

Medusa
08-28-2012, 04:12 AM
Prof Pet Peeve: I really dislike it when Profs are disorganized and wait until the last minute to give us a working syllabus. Also, if it's an online class and you still haven't posted assignments in the 4 days since class started, you are an asshole.

lusciouskiwi
08-28-2012, 04:34 AM
The assignments for my class "Teaching Reading and Writing" are actually 4 tasks and one assignment.

I've just completed task #2 - only a week and a bit overdue :seeingstars::eatinghersheybar: But so glad it's off my back!

task 1 = 15%
task 2 = 10%
task 3 = 5% if it's late get automatic 0%
task 4 = 10%

and the assignment is worth ... yup, 60% Will do either a "review of research, theory and practice on an issue affecting the teaching of reading and/or writing and show the pratical applications to your teaching situation" or "design a unit of work on reading or writing which is ready to use. Comment on the features of your design." :seeingstars::seeingstars::seeingstars: I did say to the lecturer that I wanted to do research (that's another choice) but he felt that there wasn't enough time to get all the research permission stuff organised. Hmmm wondre if he was fobbing me off? He suggested instead that I do the review and then when/if I do a research class, I've already done half the work.

task 3 is due this Friday but will get on to it tomorrow (Wed). Friday is a public holiday so I have three days to knuckle down and catch up on the readings. Actually, come to think of it, I have to crank out #3 tomorrow because we have a work meeting Thursday afternoon ... suppose I still have up to lunchtime Fri to submit. Have to write a model book report on a graded reader and respond to two others'.

Alrighty, going to CHILL OUT for the rest of the evening and not. feel. guilty! :D

sylvie
08-30-2012, 08:33 PM
i am really starting to get excited about school now.
At first i was nervous, now it's pure excitement..
i need to go shopping for a stethoscope and bandage scissors, some all navy blue scrubs and white nursing shoes once back..
Then i need to go pick up my books at the College, get my class schedule and tie up any loose ends....

i found out that i will be taking my labs and clinicals at the University rather than the college.. That's a good thing, distancewise...

And all of this is such GOOD things for Us and Our future...
So giving this my all!

Medusa
08-30-2012, 08:35 PM
So exciting!

I am really stoked to be back in the books but just realized I have several hours worth of study ahead of me this weekend if I want to get ahead of the game in time for Reunion.

There are 3 tests scheduled during the time I will be at Reunion. Luckily, I can take them all online but it will mean I need to be prepped way before then and at least have some very good notes ready.

Yikes!

sylvie
09-06-2012, 03:31 PM
Oh my. Oh my. Ohhhhhhh my.

Tomorrow is my first day!
i have to be on the University campus by 830am.
i went to take care of the loan business today, went to work and checked in with my boss about getting different hours around my course load, and then went shopping for the few things i need for my first day tomorrow.. (Agenda, pens, etc........)

Still have time to shop for my stethoscope and supplies, i want to be sure i get everything i need in one swoop, so should have a final list tomorrow once i meet the faculty...

*takes a deep breath*
i've got this!!! Excited, and SO ready for this.
YAY!

Medusa
09-06-2012, 03:50 PM
I've been in school less than 3 weeks and have had 4 quizzes and one big test. I am carrying a perfect score in all of my classes so far but I definitely have developed some anxiety about performing.

Loving being back in school and getting to meet so many interesting folks!

ruffryder
09-06-2012, 04:21 PM
I have determined that after my masters degree, I'm going to be functionally illiterate. I used to enjoy reading; now it is a chore.

hehe. when I was in school for my bachelors in Criminology just over a year ago I hardly ever read. Just enough to do the homework. So I'm the opposite with this and since my studies are very interesting to me I have to take the time now to go back and actually read and enjoy my books.

I am considering going back to school again sometime. What I'm trying to figure out is what to do to make it a lifelong career. :seeingstars: I'm thinking either a double major in Psychology also or a Masters in some sort of Law Enforcement.

I would love to get into teaching!

Great thread and great shares!

sylvie
09-07-2012, 04:52 PM
It was such a wonderful first day as a brand spankin' new college girl.
Today was Orientation day, got to know my instructors, and got a tour of the labs, which i loved.
It's laid out like a hospital with beds, patients (mannequins) and all of the hospital gear for practice.. We got the lists of everything we need, specifically, from medical instruments to scrubs and colors to book list..
We had opportunities to get to know the other students, and got our workbooks and forms to fill out and hand in, etc.

i need to set up a complete physical, a criminal check and get my immunizations forms to hand in from my doctor, and need to get all of my things ready before my first lab and clinical.

i have classes Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, all day and got my schedule for the entire year...

Anatomy and Physiology will be the hardest subjects i think out of the long list of them.. i am really looking forward to getting into this though, i really, really enjoyed my first day!

princessbelle
09-07-2012, 05:02 PM
It was such a wonderful first day as a brand spankin' new college girl.
Today was Orientation day, got to know my instructors, and got a tour of the labs, which i loved.
It's laid out like a hospital with beds, patients (mannequins) and all of the hospital gear for practice.. We got the lists of everything we need, specifically, from medical instruments to scrubs and colors to book list..
We had opportunities to get to know the other students, and got our workbooks and forms to fill out and hand in, etc.

i need to set up a complete physical, a criminal check and get my immunizations forms to hand in from my doctor, and need to get all of my things ready before my first lab and clinical.

i have classes Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, all day and got my schedule for the entire year...

Anatomy and Physiology will be the hardest subjects i think out of the long list of them.. i am really looking forward to getting into this though, i really, really enjoyed my first day!

Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We NEED MORE NURSES!!!!

You will be a FANTASTIC NURSE!!!!!! I'm so proud of you!!!!!!!!

sylvie
09-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We NEED MORE NURSES!!!!

You will be a FANTASTIC NURSE!!!!!! I'm so proud of you!!!!!!!!

You so make me smile!
Thank you pretty lady, and coming from you, that's such a compliment!
i really do love what i do already, so going for Nursing only seems pretty right to me.. And i am so thankful for you & your offer to help.
Will so be calling you soon, by the way!
love to you both!

QueenofSmirks
09-07-2012, 05:50 PM
*snip* Are you online by choice, or is that all that is available?

My Fall classes:
Speech Science I
Sign Language
Aging and the Law

It's online all the way for me, but it takes a LOT of discipline, so it isn't a good fit for everyone. I enjoyed classroom when I attended, but I don't have the time or availability for that now. I need the flexibility of online classes.

QueenofSmirks
09-07-2012, 05:57 PM
hehe. when I was in school for my bachelors in Criminology just over a year ago I hardly ever read. Just enough to do the homework. So I'm the opposite with this and since my studies are very interesting to me I have to take the time now to go back and actually read and enjoy my books.

I am considering going back to school again sometime. What I'm trying to figure out is what to do to make it a lifelong career. :seeingstars: I'm thinking either a double major in Psychology also or a Masters in some sort of Law Enforcement.

I would love to get into teaching!

Great thread and great shares!

My major is psychology with minors in sociology and justice studies. I'm not enjoying the criminal justice portion though, and I'm not sure why. I was okay with criminolgy (sociology), but justice studies and forensic psychology kind of have me going "eh".

sylvie
09-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Tonight, i am up to my ears in homework.
But so needed to find an avenue to take a few minutes, get my thoughts together, figure out where i am at with all of this, evaluate and self- motivate, and then to be completely friggin' grateful.
So here i am.

Completely overwhelmed, but 100% loving it.
The only part i am having a hard time with is making the financial part of it work out.. i am doing this on my own. i've taken a small loan to pay the tuition, however i am working full time while doing full time studies and it's not balancing very well.. So i've had to let go of some work hours, which in turn is hard to make ends meet.. So, i'm stressing it.

HOWever, i am loving my classes so much.
Tonight i am working on some assignments that are due by tomorrow & Tuesday.. i have two tests on Tuesday as well, one on Medical Terminology and one on Anatomy and Physiology. And i have about 10 chapters to read, along with some modules to go through as well.. And exercises, and.........yeah, i'm overwhelmed, but SOOO loving it..

Regardless of how hard my courses are, regardless of how this is stepping way out of my comfort zone, and regardless of how chaotic and overwhelmed i am at this very moment, i am sitting here with the biggest smile on my face because i know i am SO loving that i am taking big steps forward in my career, AND knowing i am going to love every single bit of my first year of Nursing..

When people say ewwwww, no way.. i am saying i'll do it.. i cant wait to try things and learn, i'm loving this.. And so grateful for this opportunity!
i made a big decision today to further my nursing career, and i know this will be exactly what i want! i can do this.. i'll stress, i'll worry, i'll work really hard - but i've soo got this!

i hope you are all excelling and loving your courses so far!
Remember to breathe! i've been reminded tonight! It helps, muchly!

chefhmboyrd
09-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Only a few short weeks to go and I will be a college graduate.......
this last term is the hardest.......

whew
then....
i get to back in Jan and start on the BS in IT
lol
BSHIT
haha haha
i love me some me........

DamonK
09-12-2012, 03:23 PM
I realized school starts the day we fly home from the reunion.

Assuming all still goes well.

I'll know at the reunion if it went well

chefhmboyrd
09-13-2012, 12:15 PM
I've been in school less than 3 weeks and have had 4 quizzes and one big test. I am carrying a perfect score in all of my classes so far but I definitely have developed some anxiety about performing.

Loving being back in school and getting to meet so many interesting folks!

performance anxiety sucks

Jess
09-13-2012, 12:33 PM
Back in school after 30 years. Whee... did we really look that young at 19??? It has been interesting so far. Stress/ anxiety... immense excitement...

Good luck to everyone!:cigar2:

sylvie
09-22-2012, 04:14 PM
i'm really surprising myself..
pulling some pretty good marks, loving the projects and essays..
and Lab days are SO great, i have learned so much already..
Information overload even!

Really lovin' my first year of nursing so far, and feeling more confident that i can do this..Pretty content with everything. The only struggle i am having right now, is time management & balance. my children (teenagers, 19 & 16) are making this really difficult on me. They don't help me around here at all, and now is when i could really use it..

i'm working a full time job, and going to school full time..
So, i really need to work on better time management, and reprogramming teenagers..heh

Otherwise, it's all starting to come together for me!
Anatomy and Physiology is hard, but definitely a fave course along with medical terminology.. Nursing concepts and elder concepts i'm really grooving as well.. Interpersonal Communications and has been interesting too!

It's not easy balancing everything, but i'm pretty proud of myself !.

Medusa
10-01-2012, 09:09 AM
ACK!

The Reunion really put a kink in my study routine (and not the good kind of kink!). Luckily, the test I didnt study for that I had to take last Tuesday night was all multiple choice. I made a 99% but only because I had actually read the chapters once and the information sunk in as it was supposed to.

I have probably 6 hours worth of study ahead of me today before I take an online test tonight and need to get caught up on a significant amount of reading for another one on Thursday night.

Also have a group project due in another class and I seem to be the only one in our group with any sense of urgency around it being due on Wednesday!! I HATE group projects!

macele
10-01-2012, 09:54 AM
i absolutely loved junior college. testing, it's a challenge. know the material and the challenge is fun lol. i didn't really learn to study until college. loved going to the mathematics building LOL. trig and literature classes (any), favorites. i could go back to those days.

i hope you all take it as far as you want it to go. good luck to you all. enjoy yourselves. gambaru!

Medusa
10-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Another Sunday full of study. Jackhammer works all day today which gives me a nice window to get the bulk of it done.

I had to read and test online for a chapter that ended up being 50 pages worth of shit.

Then on Tuesday night, I have another exam and 2 hours worth of lecture.

Then on Thursday night I have a unit test on 4 chapters and a live speech on our group project.

Then I have a huge paper due by Midnight Friday night.

This week is going to be CRAZY. :|

pinkgeek
10-07-2012, 05:04 PM
Sunday is full of pharmacology.. 3 or 4 hours later 50% complete.. It's going to be a long haul the next few days..

pinkgeek
10-07-2012, 05:07 PM
Yay - another RN student. I'm still working through my pre-reqs and hope to apply in a year or so. Keep posting your adventures please!!

You so make me smile!
Thank you pretty lady, and coming from you, that's such a compliment!
i really do love what i do already, so going for Nursing only seems pretty right to me.. And i am so thankful for you & your offer to help.
Will so be calling you soon, by the way!
love to you both!

sylvie
10-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Hello students!

We had labs in school last week (Tuesday & Wednesday), which were fun. Bed baths, shaving, perineal care, feeding the patient, etc. We got to practice everything on one another, which felt awkward but gave us a sense of how the patient feels. (minus the perineal care, of course...she had a box full for us to practice with)

heh.

Next lab, catheters, elimination needs and vital signs! Don't be jealous!

Tests, the theory and assignments, i've been doing great with too.. Studying my butt off.. Between the dates Oct 15-23rd, i have 6 exams to write and 3 assignments due..

Medusa, congrats on the 99%, that's fantabulous!!

sylvie
11-04-2012, 09:42 PM
School is going great!
For the next 2 weeks, it's clinical practicum.
Which means i get to test my nursing skills learned so far on actual patients!

i got to this morning for a few hours, it was wonderful.
It's hard to believe that my first semester is almost over with and i will be going into semester #2 after Christmas.

i don't think i'll ever feel balance, it's hectic and i'm balancing a lot of things at once.. But i have to give myself a pat on the back right now, because i am doing it, and pretty proud of how well i do, especially considering the challenges being thrown my way.. Mr Mtn has been wonderful, truly.. He even participated in a project with me, coached me and We wrote a report together to hand in.. He helps me with my Medical Terminology terms and reading them out to me.. And He really is so present, supportive and wonderful..

And He lets me ramble on about my day, and then says "And THAT is why i'm a cook, and You're the nurse..." heh.. ♥

pinkgeek
11-05-2012, 02:24 AM
So excited for you! I've been so nervous/upset about getting into RN school I didn't realize I was only 3 classes from applying!

I finish pharmacology and anthropology then I am probably being jumped into Anatomy 2 so that I'm with my cohort of friends. I'm really excited to apply. It is the culmination if years of classes and tears and deadlines.

Cheers and here's to getting through the rest of fall semester!

School is going great!
For the next 2 weeks, it's clinical practicum.
Which means i get to test my nursing skills learned so far on actual patients!

i got to this morning for a few hours, it was wonderful.
It's hard to believe that my first semester is almost over with and i will be going into semester #2 after Christmas.

i don't think i'll ever feel balance, it's hectic and i'm balancing a lot of things at once.. But i have to give myself a pat on the back right now, because i am doing it, and pretty proud of how well i do, especially considering the challenges being thrown my way.. Mr Mtn has been wonderful, truly.. He even participated in a project with me, coached me and We wrote a report together to hand in.. He helps me with my Medical Terminology terms and reading them out to me.. And He really is so present, supportive and wonderful..

And He lets me ramble on about my day, and then says "And THAT is why i'm a cook, and You're the nurse..." heh.. ♥

deb0670
11-05-2012, 02:34 AM
I just saw this thread.. i am a student as well. I have 6 more classes to finish before i get my Associates in Computer Technology. I am going thru the University of Phoenix online, and i have to be honest, i struggle a lot with online learning only. With my life, it is hard to focus and do well and i often feel like giving up. I see that there are so many who are going back for their Masters, and i just shake my head in awe.. how? i wanna do that too.. but.. how?

pinkgeek
11-05-2012, 04:59 AM
One class at a time. Academics is a game of perseverance and no one I know will tell you online learning is easy, it's in fact harder than traditional classes as I think you know. Keep at it - don't give up. :)

I just saw this thread.. i am a student as well. I have 6 more classes to finish before i get my Associates in Computer Technology. I am going thru the University of Phoenix online, and i have to be honest, i struggle a lot with online learning only. With my life, it is hard to focus and do well and i often feel like giving up. I see that there are so many who are going back for their Masters, and i just shake my head in awe.. how? i wanna do that too.. but.. how?

cinnamongrrl
11-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Pinkie I am also taking my pre reqs for my RN :) I'm taking A and P 1 this semester and English 102....then have to take micro and nutrtition....but in the meantime I am applying to an LPN program.. ( I went halfway through many moons ago) If I get into that, I will just do the "bridge" thing they have for LPN to RN.....either way it's a better career than I currently have! :)

Glad to see so many fellow future nurses!! :moonstars:

PS. My school doesn't LET you take pharmacology until you are IN the RN program. I find that ridiculous since it's a class unto itself...much like A and P....I would suggest to all other future nurses getting the handy dandy med flash cards and just pick a a drug or two a week to learn really well.....that way you are familiar with med names and schedules before you get in the course. I am studying for my A and P NOW and it's not starting till end of January! Good to be prepared..... ;)

PS2 Thanks god for flash cards! :praying:

Teddybear
11-05-2012, 06:58 AM
Pinkie I am also taking my pre reqs for my RN :) I'm taking A and P 1 this semester and English 102....then have to take micro and nutrtition....but in the meantime I am applying to an LPN program.. ( I went halfway through many moons ago) If I get into that, I will just do the "bridge" thing they have for LPN to RN.....either way it's a better career than I currently have! :)

Glad to see so many fellow future nurses!! :moonstars:

PS. My school doesn't LET you take pharmacology until you are IN the RN program. I find that ridiculous since it's a class unto itself...much like A and P....I would suggest to all other future nurses getting the handy dandy med flash cards and just pick a a drug or two a week to learn really well.....that way you are familiar with med names and schedules before you get in the course. I am studying for my A and P NOW and it's not starting till end of January! Good to be prepared..... ;)

PS2 Thanks god for flash cards! :praying:

Baby

Ur one of the smartest pl I know ur going to do great in school and a GREAT nurse. Oh I have this thing I need a nurse for :)

sylvie
11-17-2012, 08:20 PM
A M A Z I N G!

The textbooks, the modules, the labs, the assignments. i love learning!
But, my first clinical experience was seriously AMAZING.
i got to practice my skills on real patients, residents of a nursing home.
my classmates and i got split up between five different nursing homes and had 2 weeks with our own patients.

i was nervous, scared but excited! These last 2 weeks have solidified how much i want this and how hard i will work for this. i am maintaining great grades despite balancing work hours and taking care of a home & 2 teenagers. It's not easy, but i'm doing it..& retaining it, & rocking it!

On the last day of clinical, i was asked so many questions and drilled so much about my patients care plan and diagnosis. i had to stop, close my eyes, breathe deep and say within 'you've got this syl.' i am so excited for my next clinical at the hospital. i am sooo looking forward to this one because i would love to be an emerg nurse when all is said and done.

But, in the meantime, i have so many assignments and exams to do between today and December 14. Wheeee!

sylvie
12-28-2012, 06:23 PM
i am *so* anxious for second semester to start.
i have resorted to hauling out my textbooks from first semester, and am reading, organizing notes on the laptop and printing them off..

First semester went really well. i am content with my overall marks.

Medical Terminology - 95%
Nursing Concepts - 91%
Elder Nursing - 87%
Healthy Living - 92%
Anatomy & Physiology - 93%
Interpersonal Communications - 95%

So overall average of 93% .
my clinical experiences were so wonderful too.
i did 2 weeks at a Nursing home and then one week in December at the hospital. Once second semester starts, i have one week at the hospital again in January in geriatrics, and then 2 weeks at the hospital again in March, in acute care.

Then, my preceptorship in April!
Anxious to get my full course load though, i need new stuff to tackle!

trixie
01-02-2013, 04:04 AM
For all you Nursing/A&P students:

http://speedanatomy.com/

Super fun anatomy game. Ok, I might be a geek, but trrrrry it. They have free versions. I started playing it on my morning bus commute. I've learned to identify a surprising amount of body parts considering I'm NOT a Nursing student.

sylvie
01-16-2013, 07:06 AM
Wheee, much good news this week.

1/ i applied to transfer into the PN program last semester, and there was one seat available and out of all applicants i got the seat. i transferred right in to start second semester with them last week. It's overwhelming & much more work, but i know i can do this, because i WANT this. my goal was to be an LPN and now i am on my way! -big smile-

It means an extra year of studies for me, before heading to the US & i'll take it how i can get it. This means such big things for Us, We're excited & happy!
:awww:

2/ GPA of 4.0 last semester, how tickled i am over that.
3/ AND got selected to win a scholarship and attending the awards dinner at the end of this month. SO grateful!

Semester 2 has begun and i am surrounded in homework & stress but lovin' it.. i am much more organized this semester than i was last.

This semester:
Patient Focused Care
Medical Surgical Nursing Skills (&Labs)
Pathophysiology
Health Care

& of course, various Clinicals which i always look forward to!

odd_boi_out
01-16-2013, 11:43 PM
Cool, other students! I'm a student, too. I'm getting my masters degree in social work, and I'll be graduating in June, which I'm simultaneously excited and terrified about. Anyhow, here's what I'm taking this quarter:

Community Mapping (GIS)
Program Evaluation Research
Substance Abuse Intervention
Health Disparities, Health Equity, and Sexual Minority Populations

And then my internship at a teen crisis line.

It's going to be a great quarter, I think!

Nadeest
01-30-2013, 01:12 PM
I am having so much fun in my pastry classes, this semester. All the people in the cooking groups that I am in are very good to work with. The foods are delicious, as well, and I am learning a lot! :)

WickedFemme
08-25-2013, 11:38 AM
Thought I would get this party started again as many of us are going into Fall semester either for the first year or ongoing years.
I'm doing a Masters in Public Administration and this will be my first semester. I already received my syllabus and have five assignments due this next week already. They are not playing! lol...

curious to know what everyone else is studying, etc...