PDA

View Full Version : Roller derby!

Dance-with-me
09-14-2012, 07:03 AM
Anyone here a derby girl (or boi), ref, NSO, volunteer, derby spouse, or ardent fan?

I fell in love with roller derby watching it on tv when I was a kid in the 60' and early 70's, but by the time I was old enough to consider skating, it had mostly stopped.

But when it started up again a few years ago, I was determined to get involved, and finally a local team started. I went to some practices then realized that was really foolish considering at that time I was just two months out from having neck surgery, so I decided to give it a year and then I'll start again. I managed to get my almost-17yo granddaughter hooked as well. For now, we're both learning to be NSOs (non-skating officials), but she's determined to be a bout-ready skater by her 18th birthday, and I'm determined to be part of the first (as far as I know) grandmother-granddaughter duo in roller derby. :)

So, who else loves roller derby? What do you do, what's your team, and what's your derby name? I'm Abuela de Vil (my grands call me Abuela).

Related topic: Butches in roller derby, which is a sport that overall celebrates mostly feminine women out there kicking ass and taking names. Discuss. :)

*Anya*
09-14-2012, 07:43 AM
Wow! My 8-year-old granddaughter recently joined a jr. Roller derby team!

Blows my mind. In many ways she is timid and a mostly intellectual kid but damn does she rock the rink!

I asked her what she picked for her name and she related a tale about when she used to roughhouse with her uncle she would almost make him vomit, so he called her the Regurgitator and low and behold, a mini roller derby queen's name was born!

Makes me smile every time. I live vicariously through her storming the rink!

Great thread!!

The_Lady_Snow
09-14-2012, 07:46 AM
Our local Roller Derby team is headed to the play offs!!!

firegal
09-14-2012, 07:48 AM
The Seattle team.....Rat city roller girls ! They rock

I was medic for them a couple of year....they were some tough women.

They outgrew the facility they were in.....selling out every game.

They have since moved to the "arena" where the Seattle storm plays....to accommodate their increasing number of fans.

The energy at the matches is incredible......good time had by all!

laruss
09-14-2012, 08:01 AM
I am a huge fan of our 'Oil City Derby Girls', I used to go to every game, but this past year I really haven't had the chance.
I keep up through a FB friend who is on the team.
I guess I should make time to get out to the games again.

Deborah
09-14-2012, 08:45 AM
My daughter in-law is a derby girl she is Bettie Blackeye with the 580 RollerGirls in Lawton OK and my son is a skating Ref...its a great team building sport and they love it...my granddaughter got her first pair of skates/helmet/pads on her third birthday last year and wants to be like her mom...but she is quite a princess so we will see on that. :)

Rockinonahigh
09-14-2012, 09:33 AM
I noticed on the grosery store bulitin bord that shreveport/Bossier has a roller derby team...i'm gonna check em out.

girl_dee
09-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Big Easy Rollergirls, they ROCK!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3637/3589088987_0b6932aaba.jpg