PDA

View Full Version : Karate and Martial Arts, Anyone?

Stud_puppy1991
09-28-2012, 03:22 PM
Anyone out there interested in or do karate? anyone a martial artist or just a fan of it? Personally, I am a martial artist and a fan of it as well. I love all styles of karate and various martial arts. Not to be confused with MMA. I have been doing karate since the 6th grade, starting out with tae knwon do, but I had to take a hiatus from it. I have only recently been back to karate after all this time, and i now do it in college and after school during my days when i am not in school or doing something else. As far as the karate that I do in college, I do dragon kenpo and shotokan karate. All of our curriculum focuses on the techniques of both, but the belt levels and belt testing, as well as the grading follow shotokan. In that sense, I am a yellow belt, or eighth kyu. Outside of the karate i do i college, I also continue to do tae knwon do and I am learning aikido. So, what about you guys, any fellow martial artists out there or any fans of it?:sunglass:

Miss_J
09-28-2012, 03:30 PM
I have always been a fan of martial arts. From being a little kid and watching my brothers practice Karate in the back yard to countless hours watching Martial Arts movies of all sorts. I remember in jr high a friend and his father did a demo at school and I just couldnt wait to start doing that too! but alas I am a fan and not a student.

cinnamongrrl
09-28-2012, 04:46 PM
My daughter (youngest one) and I would love to take kickboxing.... Ive been looking into different schools in the area...it would be a nice indoor activity for the winter and mayhaps longer if we enjoy it :) My only concern is keeping the twins in the gei...or however you spell it :)

cara
09-28-2012, 05:24 PM
In my early twenties, I studied Kenpo Karate. Ed Parker was my Sibok. I stopped when my school started mixing in American Kenpo under Sigung Stephen Labounty. It wasn't because I disagreed with the teachings that I stopped. Rather, my interests were changing and I wanted to spend my time doing other things like rugby and choir.

:)

Stud_puppy1991
09-28-2012, 06:01 PM
My daughter (youngest one) and I would love to take kickboxing.... Ive been looking into different schools in the area...it would be a nice indoor activity for the winter and mayhaps longer if we enjoy it :) My only concern is keeping the twins in the gei...or however you spell it :)

I am glad to see that you take an interest in it. And schools for martial arts can be tricky. I compared all of mine. Except, for, well, the karate I do in college. As far as the gi is concerned, you should be okay as long as you know to get the right size. If you have concerns about a gi and their sizes and such, you can always look it up. But, I admire your interest. I think I might look into kickboxing myself.

Stud_puppy1991
09-28-2012, 06:03 PM
In my early twenties, I studied Kenpo Karate. Ed Parker was my Sibok. I stopped when my school started mixing in American Kenpo under Sigung Stephen Labounty. It wasn't because I disagreed with the teachings that I stopped. Rather, my interests were changing and I wanted to spend my time doing other things like rugby and choir.

:)

I currently do dragon kenpo, which basically isn't too much different from what you trained in. Though, I will agree that I don't always find it good when instructors want to mix other styles. It makes it far more confusing. I mean, I currently do more than one style, but I still think that it's best to train them all individually.

jac
09-28-2012, 06:20 PM
Great thread and one my girl directed me to. Actually SP we talked a couple of times about martial arts when I was frequenting the chatroom last winter. Anyway, yes I trained in martial arts. I began in 91 and recieved my black in 99. My style is Ukedo, which translates to "The Way of the Defender." Not to be mistaken for Aikido. This is a traditional Japanese art combined with American Sport Fight. The traditional Japanese aspect derived from Wado Ryu. My instructor and his brother trained in both styles and combined the two to create Ukedo.

When I was in the thick of my training, we had anywhere from 200 to 300 students but the system was very traditional and strict and so we only have six black belts and I am the only female of the six. Since I last trained in our system my instructor's brother has passed away from cancer and now my instructor has the same cancer and is beginning chemo soon. I had to stop training because of a nasty leg sweep I received that left me with a torn ACL and Meniscus. Two knee surgeries later and another possibly this coming January, I no longer take chances with my knee. I am, however, am planning to keep the fight going and train in boxing.

I can go on for days about martial arts, my experiences, the fact that it is ingrained in me, and that martial arts IS my way of life. Everything I do in my day to day life always holds some sort of aspect to my martial arts and I always use it to explain my actions or the point I am trying to make or just use it as examples. Always!

I also trained in TKD and only went to yellow with that before moving on to Ukedo. While in Ukedo, I learned from various styles but never fully received degrees in any of those styles. I took what would work for me from those styles to enhance what I already have knowledge of in my style. I also trained in Kempo. I attended many sport fight tournaments and did lots of demonstrations and exhabitions. I've taught women's and children's self-defense and self-awareness courses and helped to assist and personally train with agents from the US Martials, and FBI as well as the local authorities and detectives.

Yes, martial arts is engrained in me and corses through my veins. I talk about it daily... In fact, today one of the kids at the shelter asked, when he overheard another staff and I talking about MMA and Ju Jitsu, if I thought I could take out a member from MMA in a match. I simply said "I would never go against the person to begin with." He understood that to mean that I knew I didn't stand a chance. I actually meant that it was pointless to try and defend myself in that particular conversation because there are so many factors that could turn the tables in that match-up, that niether is garaunteed a win or a loss.

Okay, I will stop for now... lots to share later and learn from others in here. Thanks for openning the thread!

I also was given my Sensei's dojo when I received my black. He was done instructing once he successful got me through the system. I had it for two years before my injury.

Stud_puppy1991
09-28-2012, 06:27 PM
Great thread and one my girl directed me to. Actually SP we talked a couple of times about martial arts when I was frequenting the chatroom last winter. Anyway, yes I trained in martial arts. I began in 91 and recieved my black in 99. My style is Ukedo, which translates to "The Way of the Defender." Not to be mistaken for Aikido. This is a traditional Japanese art combined with American Sport Fight. The traditional Japanese aspect derived from Wado Ru. My instructor and his brother trained in both styles and combined the two to create Ukedo.

When I was in thick of my training, we had anywhere from 200 to 300 students but the system was very traditional and strict and so we only have six black belts and I am the only female of the six. Since I last trained in our system my instructor's brother has passed away from cancer and now my instructor has the same cancer and is beginning chemo soon. I had to stop training because of a nasty leg sweep I received that left me with a torn ACL and Meniscus. Two knee surgeries later and another possibly this coming January, I no longer take chances with my knee. I am, however, planning to keep the fight going and train in boxing.

I can go on for days about martial arts, my experiences and the fact that it is ingrained in me, that martial arts IS my way of life. Everything I do in my day to day life always holds some sort of aspect to my martial arts and I always use it to explain my actions or the point I am trying to make or just it as examples. Always!

I also trained in TKD and only went to yellow with that before moving on to Ukedo. While in Ukedo, I learned from various styles but fully received degrees in any of those styles. I took what would work for me from those styles to enhance what I already have knowledge of in my style. I also trained in Kempo. I attended many sport fight tournaments and did lots of demonstrations and exhabitions. I've taught women's and children's self-defense and self-awareness course and helped to assist and personally trained with agents from the US Martials, and FBI as well as the local authorities and detectives.

Yes, martial arts is engrained in me and courses through my veins. I talk about it daily... In fact, today one of the kids at the shelter asked when he overheard another staff and I talking about MMA and Ju Jitsu, if I thought I could take out a member from MMA in a match. I simply said "I would never go against the person to begin with." He understood that to mean that I knew I didn't stand a chance. I actually meant that it was pointless to try and defend myself in that particular conversation because there so many factors that could turn the tables in that match up, that niether is garaunteed a win or a loss.

Okay, I will stop for now... lots to share later and learn from others in here. Thanks for openning the thread!

I also was given my Sensei's dojo when I received my black. He was done instructing once he successful got me through the system. I had it for two years before my injury.

That's very impressive, Stone, seeing as I have only observed that style a few times. And it's also interesting that you ended up being the only female black belt, even with a large class. Still, having six black belts is still pretty impressive. And that is amazing that you actually were given your sensei's dojo. And I would love to learn that style myself, but i am already learning shotokan, dragon kenpo, tae kwon do, and aikido. Though, it's still in my thoughts to learn.

jac
09-28-2012, 06:33 PM
That's very impressive, Stone, seeing as I have only observed that style a few times. And it's also interesting that you ended up being the only female black belt, even with a large class. Still, having six black belts is still pretty impressive. And that is amazing that you actually were given your sensei's dojo. And I would love to learn that style myself, but i am already learning shotokan, dragon kenpo, tae kwon do, and aikido. Though, it's still in my thoughts to learn.

No disrespect but this style was only taught in one city in Mississippi and in one dojo at a time. If you didn't train in those dojos, which were exactly where I trained, then you have not trained in Ukedo. Like I said it is ALWAYS mistaken for Aikido, mainly due to its pronounciation but the two styles are nothing alike.

Stud_puppy1991
09-28-2012, 06:40 PM
No disrespect but this style was only taught in one city in Mississippi and in one dojo at a time. If you didn't train in those dojos, which were exactly where I trained, then you have not trained in Ukedo. Like I said it is ALWAYS mistaken for Aikido, mainly due to its pronounciation but the two styles are nothing alike.

thank you for pointing that out, and yes, I do know that both are very different. I am training in aikido, and I already know that it is nothing like ukedo. The entire curriculum alone tells you that. But, thank you, i had no idea that it was only taught in a certain place.

Alex DeBoot
09-28-2012, 06:42 PM
Well I used to do Judo for 13 years when I was growing up and enjoyed the training and the skills I got from it. I usually box these days for fitness but I am always wanting to run self-defence classes at a voluntary level, prevents me from forgetting old techniques too.

Stud_puppy1991
09-28-2012, 06:55 PM
Well I used to do Judo for 13 years when I was growing up and enjoyed the training and the skills I got from it. I usually box these days for fitness but I am always wanting to run self-defence classes at a voluntary level, prevents me from forgetting old techniques too.

My sensei is skilled in Judo. I have never trained in it, but he sometimes will use references from it to guide us sometimes. And, I can understand wanting to run classes. I want to eventually have my own dojo, or be an instructor once I am able too. And I always feel it's good to keep up with it, so that you never forget. Not to mention it makes you proficient.

Gemme
09-28-2012, 07:55 PM
I'm a fan but can't do a lick of it.

:blink:

There's a place not far from home that I've been considering though. I have yet to stop by and see what form they practice and if I would be comfy there.

Any tips on what to look for or what to run far, far away from if I see it?

Stud_puppy1991
09-28-2012, 08:29 PM

There's a place not far from home that I've been considering though. I have yet to stop by and see what form they practice and if I would be comfy there.

Glad to know you're a fan, and I always find it neat when people want to learn a certain style. One thing I will tell you, be very careful when sparring or doing kata, because if you get in someone's way unintentionally, you will get hurt. And, to make sure your techniques stay fresh in your head, I suggest practicing for at least 30 minutes each day. Also, since you say you are looking at learning, if you observe any classes, talk to the instructor and ask him about the curriculum and everything. Maybe see if they offer a trial, so you can test it out.

Red-Dragon
09-28-2012, 08:42 PM
Im a fan of martial arts i also dabble in it really free learning from my buddy. I love martial arts but i prefer kendo plus dual weilding in kendo. When i get my butt handed to me with karate with my buddy i just say kendo we spar i win lol. But big big fan of martial arts if i could id take on a class to learn more

Stud_puppy1991
09-28-2012, 08:46 PM
Im a fan of martial arts i also dabble in it really free learning from my buddy. I love martial arts but i prefer kendo plus dual weilding in kendo. When i get my butt handed to me with karate with my buddy i just say kendo we spar i win lol. But big big fan of martial arts if i could id take on a class to learn more

Glad to hear that, and actually, you might find it interesting, but here soon, I will be incorporating some weapons into my training. And kendo is awesome, I will agree:hangloose:

jac
09-28-2012, 09:12 PM

People tend to have different reasons as to why they want to train. Some want to do it for the exercise, others want it for the self-defense, and there are still those that want it for the discipline (mind, body soul aspect). I think you should consider what, if any or all of these, are your reasons and use that as your basis. Mainly for the discipline you would want to look for a well-rounded system and one that appears to be serious. For the other reasons you can just tell if that's what they are offering. Ask questions and as SP mentioned, see if there is a trial course to sample it out for yourself before investing in a long-term contract or committment. Also consider your abilities and your body functions. What will you be more comfortable working with... such as a kicking style like TKD, an all-around style like kickboxing or even a more calm meditative style like Tai Chi. Have fun with it no matter what you choose to do...

jac
09-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Glad to hear that, and actually, you might find it interesting, but here soon, I will be incorporating some weapons into my training. And kendo is awesome, I will agree:hangloose:

Absolutely. Weapons are fun to work with. My instructor and a couple of others were learning Kendo on the side. I never had time to get involved, but I wanted to. My weapon of choice, although not practical on the streets in the case of an emergency self-defense situation, is the nunchakus (chucks).

Stud_puppy1991
09-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Absolutely. Weapons are fun to work with. My instructor and a couple of others were learning Kendo on the side. I never had time to get involved, but I wanted to. My weapon of choice, although not practical on the streets in the case of an emergency self-defense situation, is the nunchakus (chucks).

Nice weapon of choice, i actually have various nunchakus myself, and then there's my bo staffs, my sais, and my swords.

RNguy
09-28-2012, 09:39 PM
Hey allllll right !!!!!!! 14 year Japanese/American kickboxer here !!!!!! Thanks for this thread thumbs up .

Stud_puppy1991
09-28-2012, 09:44 PM
14 years of kickboxing. Awesome. Just saying.