PDA

View Full Version : Come dance with us!

Dance-with-me
10-09-2012, 11:18 AM
There's another thread where a number of us started talking about our love of dancing and our desire to learn dancing (in particular, couples dances with a lead and a follow), which branched off into a discussion about the lack of places for butch/femme couples to learn couples dances, and even the lack of people to dance with.

Well, that branched off into a private conversation between easygoingfemme and I about a dance festival up in her area. I've been wanting to go for years and this year I'm finally making it happen - time off requested, plans started, the works.

And THEN we started talking about how awesome it would be if we could get others from the BFP community up there, so this is our pitch.

The event is called the Flurry Festival (http://www.flurryfestival.org/) and it's held February 15-17 in Saratoga Springs, NY. The rates are not posted for this year, but last year it was only $80 in advance for the entire weekend of events. It's a family-friendly event, so if you have kids you can bring them along and the cost is practically nothing - at least last year, kids under 6 were free and kids 6-12 were just $3 for the entire weekend.

There is NO need to come with a dance partner - most of the dances involve frequent partner changes.

Easygoingfemme said that she'll chime in here soon with more information.

Please consider joining us!

Heavenleahangel
10-09-2012, 11:33 AM
There's another thread where a number of us started talking about our love of dancing and our desire to learn dancing (in particular, couples dances with a lead and a follow), which branched off into a discussion about the lack of places for butch/femme couples to learn couples dances, and even the lack of people to dance with.

Well, that branched off into a private conversation between easygoingfemme and I about a dance festival up in her area. I've been wanting to go for years and this year I'm finally making it happen - time off requested, plans started, the works.

And THEN we started talking about how awesome it would be if we could get others from the BFP community up there, so this is our pitch.

The event is called the Flurry Festival (http://www.flurryfestival.org/) and it's held February 15-17 in Saratoga Springs, NY. The rates are not posted for this year, but last year it was only $80 in advance for the entire weekend of events. It's a family-friendly event, so if you have kids you can bring them along and the cost is practically nothing - at least last year, kids under 6 were free and kids 6-12 were just $3 for the entire weekend.

There is NO need to come with a dance partner - most of the dances involve frequent partner changes.

Easygoingfemme said that she'll chime in here soon with more information.

Please consider joining us!

Thanks for the link. Ironically, I live in Saratoga Springs/Wilton area! So....if any Planet peeps wants to come up, I would *love* to host a dinner for us at some point of the weekend. This could be a fun filled, good time!

easygoingfemme
10-09-2012, 11:51 AM
HLA, yes, I hope you can participate! Lots of family activities too if your son can participate in some of the weekend too.

Also, there's lots to do besides dancing, there's almost constant storytelling, instrument lessons, singing lessons, concerts to watch, and people watching beyond your wildest dreams. So even if you're not a dancer, there's plenty to do.

Like DWM said, there are lessons from beginning level on up to dance parties. I'm one of the festival directors so I'm "on" all weekend but always make sure I have time to dance and play too. Just never sure when the window will open for it.

Rockinonahigh
10-09-2012, 12:12 PM
I uae to pretty good on my feet till I kinked my back,hopeing to change that soon,I really miss danceing.

Tony
10-09-2012, 12:14 PM
I'm liking this idea.....

easygoingfemme
10-09-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm liking this idea.....

Keep liking it, and recruit more!

easygoingfemme
10-09-2012, 12:18 PM
I uae to pretty good on my feet till I kinked my back,hopeing to change that soon,I really miss danceing.

There are a lot of chiropractors and massage therapists in the area who can help you out during the weekend. Just sayin'

Rockinonahigh
10-09-2012, 02:31 PM
There are a lot of chiropractors and massage therapists in the area who can help you out during the weekend. Just sayin'

T the moment i'm going to a chiro a couple of times a week to help out with things,but on the 24th im going to be in pain management to see about another injection for my back.I had that done three months ago but they didnt use enoigh high powered stuff to block the nerve so some contoction will be needed.Beleave me while my nerves were blocke for a time I shure made up for it..and will again.I just cant fine to many folks who know how to partner dance.

Heavenleahangel
10-11-2012, 06:15 AM
Bumping this thread!

easygoingfemme
10-22-2012, 01:23 PM
:ballerina:
Bump!
Don't leave us femmes with empty dance cards!

Dance-with-me
10-22-2012, 01:27 PM
LOL thanks for bumping this!

Dance-with-me
12-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Registration information is finally posted for the Flurry Festival!
http://www.flurryfestival.org/
You can't yet register, but that will be coming soon.

However, if you'd like to apply to do 6 hours volunteer work there in exchange for free admission, they're now accepting applications for volunteers here:
http://www.flurryfestival.org/volunteer.html

Let us know if you're going to join us, or if you're applying to volunteer!

Easygoingfemme and I would LOVE to convince other butches and femmes (singles or couples) to join us.

And just to be clear - it's totally ok to go there as a butch who wants only to lead!