PDA

View Full Version : Doggie Daycare

DapperButch
12-27-2009, 08:27 PM
Ok, so tomorrow is the BIG day. My shortie Jack Russell goes for his interview to see if he "plays well with others" and can be a part of doggie daycare.

I have to admit that I am a bit anxious about it. My 13lb Jack Russell can be a bit of a bully with others....always having to be the alpha regardless of the size of the other dog. :dog:

I also have to admit that I am pathetically excited. My application is already filled out, I have the vet records, and I am all ready to go! I gave him a little talking to tonight about politeness and manners.

He is only going to go once per week, due to cost, but I think that he will love playing with all the other dogs!

Anyone else have their dog(s) in doggie daycare?

P.S. Thanks again, Toughy, for your help!

Andrew, Jr.
12-27-2009, 08:48 PM
The doggy daycare that is in my area is so specialized now. They have their day broken down like this:

Play Time - if weather permits
Morning Snack
Play Time
Lunch
Quiet Time (Naps)
Aromatherapy
Snack
Play Time
TV Time - Animal Planet/Cesar Millan

Spa Treatments or Grooming is done in the morning

suebee
12-28-2009, 09:05 AM
I live in a rural area. The closest we get to doggie day care here is called Grandma or Grandpa comes over to let us out to pee. Oh well. The simple life. :cluck: It's got nothing to do with the topic, but the chicken was cute.

Toughy
12-28-2009, 09:31 AM
Yeah!!!! How exciting.........I can't wait to here how your baby does.......

good luck and glad to help you out....

DapperButch
12-28-2009, 06:32 PM
Yeah!!!! How exciting.........I can't wait to here how your baby does.......

good luck and glad to help you out....

It went really well. :thumbsup: I spent three of the four hours that he was there watching him on the web cam at home...lol

I liked the people a lot and the place was very clean.

His first full day is on Wednesday. There is another Jack Russell that comes on Wednesdays, so that is good because he needs a smaller dog that will rough house with him. :slapfight:

Andrew, here the dogs just play all day. No naps required, which is different from all the other daycares that I looked at. He does have the option for a nap, though.

:duck: <-- to go with Sue's chicken

Semantics
12-28-2009, 06:46 PM
I'm glad he had fun. :)

I may send my little dog when my next semester starts. I think she would love it.

That's sweet that you watched him on the webcam. :awww:

friskyfemme
12-28-2009, 09:02 PM
Hi Dapper,
My girl is a Rottie/Shepherd mix. She doesn't think she is a dog. I have tried taking her to dog parks but she isn't interested. I have renamed these parks as 'pet' parks. My girl goes up to all the dog owners to be 'petted' while their dogs are frollicking with each other. LOL! She enjoys the solitude of her own place with a petdoor to the swimming pool area.

I have a new renter moving in with a boxer pup this should be interesting to see how much she will interact.

I have never heard of a doggie daycare. I used to walk dogs years ago. Do they have kitty playgrounds?

Sachita
12-28-2009, 09:29 PM
I own a dog boarding facility. Although we don't do daycare, per se we offer a different type of boarding over traditional kennels. We have areas and match them up by size, age of temperament. Each area has hammocks and its own doggie door and outdoor fenced area. So they not only play together but sleep together. They can play all night if they really want and it happens. lol

Sometimes there are fights and often they work through it until they decide their pecking order. Nothing serious, just the way communicate. Some dogs love playing with others while others want to be left alone. I use part of my house, have a building and I even allow some dogs to sleep with me. It's not unusual to see dogs all over my house, office or anywhere else I'm hanging out.

I take care of quite a few jacks and they can be bossy but after they spend some time they adjust and do just fine. they are very territorial dogs but learn to share space.

It's great that he's able to be social and around other dogs. Its the best thing for both of you. I feel bad for dogs that stay home a lone all day but in some cases there isn;t a choice. He's going to have fun, you'll be happy and it will create an even deeper bond for both of you.

Good luck and keep us posted on how he does.

Andrew, Jr.
12-28-2009, 09:42 PM
Dapper,

How I got involved with DDC, was about 3 years ago. I went on a sales trip that my sister won to the Caribbean.

I had an older dog (7yo) but was a mix of Akita, Chow, and Lab mix. And she weighed in at 90+ pounds. If I took her anywhere, she would sit on my lap. Go figure. I used to go and watch "Survivor" at a friend's house, and we all would end up sitting on the floor with our pets.

But anyway back to the DDC, I went to the Caribbean, and put her in a kennel/daycare center. She had a ball. She had so much fun, she did not want to leave. I am not kidding. She would play in the Little Tikes (the hard plastic) castles, houses, pirate ship, and even the baby pools. There was my baby right in the pool playing with the tennis balls.

Unfortunately, I had to put her down from hip displacea. Now, I have 3 cats, and a small mini pin named Dino Martini. He is a rescue. I also foster dogs for my vet when she needs help.

Andrew

DapperButch
12-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Hi Dapper,
My girl is a Rottie/Shepherd mix. She doesn't think she is a dog. I have tried taking her to dog parks but she isn't interested. I have renamed these parks as 'pet' parks. My girl goes up to all the dog owners to be 'petted' while their dogs are frollicking with each other. LOL! She enjoys the solitude of her own place with a petdoor to the swimming pool area.

I have a new renter moving in with a boxer pup this should be interesting to see how much she will interact.

I have never heard of a doggie daycare. I used to walk dogs years ago. Do they have kitty playgrounds?

Well, FF, I can't say that I have ever heard of a kitty playground! lol

That is pretty funny that your dog would rather play with the owners than the other dogs. My guy seemed more interested in the person who was sharing the space with him and the other dogs at first, but then he got into the swing of it.

DapperButch
12-28-2009, 10:36 PM
I own a dog boarding facility. Although we don't do daycare, per se we offer a different type of boarding over traditional kennels. We have areas and match them up by size, age of temperament. Each area has hammocks and its own doggie door and outdoor fenced area. So they not only play together but sleep together. They can play all night if they really want and it happens. lol

Sometimes there are fights and often they work through it until they decide their pecking order. Nothing serious, just the way communicate. Some dogs love playing with others while others want to be left alone. I use part of my house, have a building and I even allow some dogs to sleep with me. It's not unusual to see dogs all over my house, office or anywhere else I'm hanging out.

I take care of quite a few jacks and they can be bossy but after they spend some time they adjust and do just fine. they are very territorial dogs but learn to share space.

It's great that he's able to be social and around other dogs. Its the best thing for both of you. I feel bad for dogs that stay home a lone all day but in some cases there isn;t a choice. He's going to have fun, you'll be happy and it will create an even deeper bond for both of you.

Your place sounds fantastic! I like the set up that you have.

This kennel/daycare has a "camp" theme, with their crates being called "cabins" for the overnight guests where they get "campfire treats" before going to bed.

During daycare time, they always have access to the outside as well, and also have the groups divided based on size and temperment. It really seems to be a good place. What is going to be tough is not jumping onto the web cam 10 times a day while I am at work to see what he is up to!

My dog lived with his biological sister for the first three years of his life, and he has been without her (or any playmate) for the last 1.5 years. I am very active with him, but the rough and tumble play with Daddy is just not the same as the rough and tumble with another dog.

I am glad that it has worked out that I can now send him to a daycare, so he can be with other dogs. :dog:

DapperButch
12-28-2009, 10:39 PM
Dapper,

How I got involved with DDC, was about 3 years ago. I went on a sales trip that my sister won to the Caribbean.

I had an older dog (7yo) but was a mix of Akita, Chow, and Lab mix. And she weighed in at 90+ pounds. If I took her anywhere, she would sit on my lap. Go figure. I used to go and watch "Survivor" at a friend's house, and we all would end up sitting on the floor with our pets.

But anyway back to the DDC, I went to the Caribbean, and put her in a kennel/daycare center. She had a ball. She had so much fun, she did not want to leave. I am not kidding. She would play in the Little Tikes (the hard plastic) castles, houses, pirate ship, and even the baby pools. There was my baby right in the pool playing with the tennis balls.

Unfortunately, I had to put her down from hip displacea. Now, I have 3 cats, and a small mini pin named Dino Martini. He is a rescue. I also foster dogs for my vet when she needs help.

Andrew

I'm sorry you had to put your dog to sleep, Andrew. But, I bet the time she spent on this earth with you was wonderful for her.

Andrew, Jr.
12-29-2009, 10:31 AM
Dapper,

She was my girl. Everywhere I went - so did she. She was just a lovebug. She would go walk the children to the school bus in the morning, and sit and wait with them, and at 3pm on the dot, bark until let out, and greet them when they got off the school bus. You could set your watch to her. :princess:

It was by far the hardest decision I ever made. But I had to do it. She had nothing left to support her hips. All the muscle, and tissue had worn away. She literally couldn't walk. I had to use a beach towel to hold up her 2 back legs. It was time. We both knew it. I was with her thru the entire procedure. It was more humane than what we do with human beings imho.

Now, I have Mr. Martini who is my new love. And let me tell you he is a pistol. He thinks he owns the house, and is the king. I just am not going to burst that little bubble of his. :king:

DapperButch
12-29-2009, 05:22 PM
Dapper,

She was my girl. Everywhere I went - so did she. She was just a lovebug. She would go walk the children to the school bus in the morning, and sit and wait with them, and at 3pm on the dot, bark until let out, and greet them when they got off the school bus. You could set your watch to her. :princess:

It was by far the hardest decision I ever made. But I had to do it. She had nothing left to support her hips. All the muscle, and tissue had worn away. She literally couldn't walk. I had to use a beach towel to hold up her 2 back legs. It was time. We both knew it. I was with her thru the entire procedure. It was more humane than what we do with human beings imho.

Now, I have Mr. Martini who is my new love. And let me tell you he is a pistol. He thinks he owns the house, and is the king. I just am not going to burst that little bubble of his. :king:

I think that it takes strength to put down an animal down that you love. It is an unselfish act. I have been fortunate enough that I have never had to do that. We had one dog while I was growing up and I was in college when my parents had to be the ones to make the decision to put her down.

Darth Denkay
12-30-2009, 02:48 PM
Hey DapperButch,

I'm in a really similar situation to you. I've also got a Jack, one of the longer legged variety, and I'm thinking about doggie daycare for her, and like you, once a week due to cost. Like yours she generally presents as the alpha, but I think she'll settle it. Figure we'll give it a shot anyway. In the past even when she starts out bullying a dog she usually gets over it and they do fine. There is one - absolutely ridiculous - exception to this rule. My folks have a 160lb great dane. Every time we are there my 13.5lb Jack snarls and snaps at him. Thank goodness, for her sake, the dane is totally laid-back and just looks at her like she's nuts.

Ok, so tomorrow is the BIG day. My shortie Jack Russell goes for his interview to see if he "plays well with others" and can be a part of doggie daycare.

I have to admit that I am a bit anxious about it. My 13lb Jack Russell can be a bit of a bully with others....always having to be the alpha regardless of the size of the other dog. :dog:

I also have to admit that I am pathetically excited. My application is already filled out, I have the vet records, and I am all ready to go! I gave him a little talking to tonight about politeness and manners.

He is only going to go once per week, due to cost, but I think that he will love playing with all the other dogs!

Anyone else have their dog(s) in doggie daycare?

P.S. Thanks again, Toughy, for your help!

DapperButch
12-30-2009, 08:28 PM
Hey DapperButch,

I'm in a really similar situation to you. I've also got a Jack, one of the longer legged variety, and I'm thinking about doggie daycare for her, and like you, once a week due to cost. Like yours she generally presents as the alpha, but I think she'll settle it. Figure we'll give it a shot anyway. In the past even when she starts out bullying a dog she usually gets over it and they do fine. There is one - absolutely ridiculous - exception to this rule. My folks have a 160lb great dane. Every time we are there my 13.5lb Jack snarls and snaps at him. Thank goodness, for her sake, the dane is totally laid-back and just looks at her like she's nuts.

Yes, that is what always happens/happened with my guy. He settles after strutting his stuff and being a bully for a few minutes. He has done just fine at daycare!

LOL about the Great Dane!

Good Luck!

friskyfemme
12-30-2009, 09:06 PM

your place sounds great...I have taken my dog to a 'kennel' one time in her lifetime. She was depressed for over a week after she came home...she didn't eat for the 2 days she was there and got terribly constipated. She is used to being with me almost all the time. I suspect that she was just put in a run and left alone...It's good to know that you give such personal attention to your boarders. If I have to leave my girl behind, I have a trusted friend stay in my house with her. She's older now and she likes being home.

Darth Denkay
12-31-2009, 12:42 PM
Hi all. Thought I'd toss in my thoughts on boarding facilities. Now, Friskyfemme, I don't know what sort of facility you used, so this may not really be applicable to your situation. Even so, I wanna toss this out.

I will not board my dog at a facility that is not devoted primarily to boarding. I worked at a vet clinic for 10 years. I don't wowrk there anymore, but several times boarded my jack russell there. I believe that she was ignored, yelled at - abused might not be too strong a word. The kennel folks - who I knw well because they were there when I worked there, told me how awful my dog was. The last time I boarded her there, much like friskyfemme's expereince, it took her weeks to recover. I was really afraid they had done permanent harm.

I asked around to see if other folks could recommend a good facility. One place in particular got quite a few mentions so I checked them out. The facility is a bit out of town, but they will come pick up your dog and then bring them back home. The facility is on farmland. The dogs there are assigned a primary care-giver, who gives a great deal of one-on-one time to the dogs. They are taken on long walks, taken to fenced in areas where they can run and play. The goal of the facility is to take the best care of the dogs as they can. They have my business as long as I am in the area - when Norah is brought back home you wouldn't know that she had boarded - zero anxiety.

I used to think that it was important to board where there was a vet clinic. I now believe that is not in your dog's best interest. I highly recommend boarding someplace where boarding is the primary service. Your dog will thank you.

your place sounds great...I have taken my dog to a 'kennel' one time in her lifetime. She was depressed for over a week after she came home...she didn't eat for the 2 days she was there and got terribly constipated. She is used to being with me almost all the time. I suspect that she was just put in a run and left alone...It's good to know that you give such personal attention to your boarders. If I have to leave my girl behind, I have a trusted friend stay in my house with her. She's older now and she likes being home.

DapperButch
12-31-2009, 01:50 PM
Hi all. Thought I'd toss in my thoughts on boarding facilities. Now, Friskyfemme, I don't know what sort of facility you used, so this may not really be applicable to your situation. Even so, I wanna toss this out.

I will not board my dog at a facility that is not devoted primarily to boarding. I worked at a vet clinic for 10 years. I don't wowrk there anymore, but several times boarded my jack russell there. I believe that she was ignored, yelled at - abused might not be too strong a word. The kennel folks - who I knw well because they were there when I worked there, told me how awful my dog was. The last time I boarded her there, much like friskyfemme's expereince, it took her weeks to recover. I was really afraid they had done permanent harm.

I asked around to see if other folks could recommend a good facility. One place in particular got quite a few mentions so I checked them out. The facility is a bit out of town, but they will come pick up your dog and then bring them back home. The facility is on farmland. The dogs there are assigned a primary care-giver, who gives a great deal of one-on-one time to the dogs. They are taken on long walks, taken to fenced in areas where they can run and play. The goal of the facility is to take the best care of the dogs as they can. They have my business as long as I am in the area - when Norah is brought back home you wouldn't know that she had boarded - zero anxiety.

I used to think that it was important to board where there was a vet clinic. I now believe that is not in your dog's best interest. I highly recommend boarding someplace where boarding is the primary service. Your dog will thank you.

Hi, Wicket W. Warrick.

You make a really good point and it makes a lot of sense to me. At a vet clinic the focus would be on taking care of animals that come in for appointments and for the sick animals that are staying there overnight. It makes sense that since the primary mission of the facility is to take care of sick animals, that the healthy boarding animals could be unconsciously lost in the shuffle.

However, reading about how Norah was most likely treated hurt my heart. Not paying as much attention to the boarders in an unconscious way (due to the main mission of the facility being something else), is one thing, being unkind is another. I am so sorry that Norah may have not been treated well.

I, personally, am very fortunate that I have two neighbors who take care of my guy if I am gone for an overnight (they come next door and hang in my house for a few hours, put my guy in their yard, take him for LONG :dogwalking:, etc.) and I have retired parents that will watch him when I go away for several days. I am very, very lucky.

It sounds like the place you found now is utterly fantastic. I can imagine how glad you are to have found that place.

On a related note....after my dog's first full day of daycare yesterday, he was falling asleep on the way home while STANDING UP (strapped into his seat belt, of course!) I would say that he had fun!

I actually had an interview set up for him at another doggie daycare for this morning, but due to snow in rush hour traffic (and I didn't need to go out of the house for any other reason), I decided to wait and do it next week. There is nothing wrong with the first daycare, it is just that it is a new facility and there are not too many small dogs for him to play with, so I was considering somewhere else (yesterday there were 7 dogs there...I think that 3-4 dogs is a more common. The other place usually has about 20 dogs, per the receptionist).

Again, I am so glad that Norah now has a safe and fun place to go and that your heart can be at peace when you send her there!

Darth Denkay
12-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Thank you so much for your supportive words about Norah. My girlfriend was the one who picked her up from the last horrendous boarding at the vet clinic, and I think it's a good thing. I am a VERY laid-back person - but I would have lost it had I been there. They are damn lucky that I wasn't. On a side note, I will continue to go there for medical treatment. There are several excellent vets there, and hell, I was there for 10 years. I did tell my boss - rather, the boss since I guess he isn't mine anymore - and I trust that he has dealt with it in an appropriate way. I don't believe he would allow this sort of treatment to continue.

Very cool about the doggie day care - falling asleep standing up sounds like a good thing to me! We only have one here - well, actually we might have more - but the one I know of I'm really good friends with the owner - she was a client at the vet clinic while I was there - plus it's been around a while so they have dogs of every possible size. You know, I need to quit talking about it and go see how she does...

Hi, Wicket W. Warrick.

You make a really good point and it makes a lot of sense to me. At a vet clinic the focus would be on taking care of animals that come in for appointments and for the sick animals that are staying there overnight. It makes sense that since the primary mission of the facility is to take care of sick animals, that the healthy boarding animals could be unconsciously lost in the shuffle.

However, reading about how Norah was most likely treated hurt my heart. Not paying as much attention to the boarders in an unconscious way (due to the main mission of the facility being something else), is one thing, being unkind is another. I am so sorry that Norah may have not been treated well.

I, personally, am very fortunate that I have two neighbors who take care of my guy if I am gone for an overnight (they come next door and hang in my house for a few hours, put my guy in their yard, take him for LONG :dogwalking:, etc.) and I have retired parents that will watch him when I go away for several days. I am very, very lucky.

It sounds like the place you found now is utterly fantastic. I can imagine how glad you are to have found that place.

On a related note....after my dog's first full day of daycare yesterday, he was falling asleep on the way home while STANDING UP (strapped into his seat belt, of course!) I would say that he had fun!

I actually had an interview set up for him at another doggie daycare for this morning, but due to snow in rush hour traffic (and I didn't need to go out of the house for any other reason), I decided to wait and do it next week. There is nothing wrong with the first daycare, it is just that it is a new facility and there are not too many small dogs for him to play with, so I was considering somewhere else (yesterday there were 7 dogs there...I think that 3-4 dogs is a more common. The other place usually has about 20 dogs, per the receptionist).

Again, I am so glad that Norah now has a safe and fun place to go and that your heart can be at peace when you send her there!

Bit
12-31-2009, 03:55 PM
I suppose it depends on the vet clinic... I've had dogs who couldn't wait to go get fussed over, who pranced off into the kennel room without a backward glance while I was waving forlornly like a mom seeing a kindergartener off on the bus the first day of school.

I've also had dogs and cats who were traumatized and hated a place so much that I looked for another vet. I absolutely did not appreciate discovering that two of my cats had been put back in their plastic carriers after being spayed a couple years ago; couldn't they at least have been allowed to recover in a cage that got some light and air?

The best experience so far, though, was at a boarding kennel on the far west side of Phoenix, where Lady stayed several days when I went to Vegas. It was run much like Sachita's place is, and Lady had a ball.

Now that we have six furbabies, though, I think we'd have to get someone to come in and take care of them here. Has anyone tried a commercial pet-sitting service? What did you think of them?

Darth Denkay
01-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Hey Bit,

You are, of course, absolutely right - it depends on the vet clinic and on the dog. When I was still working at the clinic there were lots of dogs that didn't seem to mind - I shouldn't have made such a blanket statement about vet clinics in general - I know better. My dog can be nervous, and what helps that is a bit of one-on-one attention. She didn't get that at the clinic I boarded her with, and I expect the annoyance from the workers fueled her nervousness until it was completely out of control. That's why the new facility I found is so perfect for her - lots of individual attention. In the future I need to always find a kennel that provides that.

I'm in no way taking responsibility away from the kennel workers at the clinic. They are being paid to take care of the animals regardless of their quirks. And actually, I think my biggest beef with them was that I was never called - the entire 5 days - that she was supposedly being horrible.

Okay, anyway, I'm gonna shut up now. Love my new boarding facility - so does Norah (or at least does really really really well there) and that's all that really matters...

I suppose it depends on the vet clinic... I've had dogs who couldn't wait to go get fussed over, who pranced off into the kennel room without a backward glance while I was waving forlornly like a mom seeing a kindergartener off on the bus the first day of school.

I've also had dogs and cats who were traumatized and hated a place so much that I looked for another vet. I absolutely did not appreciate discovering that two of my cats had been put back in their plastic carriers after being spayed a couple years ago; couldn't they at least have been allowed to recover in a cage that got some light and air?

The best experience so far, though, was at a boarding kennel on the far west side of Phoenix, where Lady stayed several days when I went to Vegas. It was run much like Sachita's place is, and Lady had a ball.

Now that we have six furbabies, though, I think we'd have to get someone to come in and take care of them here. Has anyone tried a commercial pet-sitting service? What did you think of them?

Toughy
01-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Dapper...........

there is something to be said for being among the first clients for a building business...........my facility has been in business for 5 years and our clients that stuck with us when we had less than 10-15 dogs get perks...........supporting local business is important.....I hope it's a woman owned business......laughin........

the place you found sounds perfect..............take your baby on Wed so he can play with the other jack.......they need each other...........also you might ask for a chance to meet the parents of the other jack..........that way you could keep in contact and make sure the playmates are always there at the same time........

by the way..........you actually do want your baby to fall asleep standing up.............it's a sign of a good day care and a good experience...........many owners always say their babies fall dead asleep on the way home......

DapperButch
01-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Dapper...........

there is something to be said for being among the first clients for a building business...........my facility has been in business for 5 years and our clients that stuck with us when we had less than 10-15 dogs get perks...........supporting local business is important.....I hope it's a woman owned business......laughin........

the place you found sounds perfect..............take your baby on Wed so he can play with the other jack.......they need each other...........also you might ask for a chance to meet the parents of the other jack..........that way you could keep in contact and make sure the playmates are always there at the same time........

by the way..........you actually do want your baby to fall asleep standing up.............it's a sign of a good day care and a good experience...........many owners always say their babies fall dead asleep on the way home......

Hey, Toughy, thanks for writing.

Yes, I thought about how it is good that he would be one of the first clients. My issue is just that most days there are only 2-3 other small dogs there (any day of the week, per owner) and I guess it is the waiting of the building up of the number of dogs that concerns me (and paying in the meantime!)

On his interview day he stayed for a half day and the two other dogs that were there were boarders, so they were put in crates for naps. Therefore, my guy was just standing in there with no friends for 1.5 hours (webcam!). :-( It also appears to be acceptable that someone isn't always in with the small dogs. I assume that this is a function of it being a large warehouse where it is all fencing (so the dogs can be seen by the workers when they are not in with the dogs).

The day that he was falling asleep standing up on the way home (which yes, I saw as a great thing!), there were 7 small dogs, but the owner acknowledged that this was a function of there being a larger than usual number of boarders due to the Holidays.

So, I guess it is just about choosing or not choosing to wait it out until more dogs begin to come there. I think I will stick with this first one. It is just SO close to my house.

In terms of ownership....both places are owned by women (I always use women owned businesses when I can!)

Oh, and one last thing....although I had planned to bring him on Wednesdays, I did make sure that the other Jack Russell came on the same day...or I would have changed days. I also plan on going to the Grand Opening (they have already been open for two months, though), so that I can meet other dog owners to find out who comes when, etc.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

SF_Boi
03-16-2010, 05:51 PM
This is a great topic. Doggie day care has saved my life and my girls. I too have a Jack Russell. She's the love of my life! But she is a JR. I picked her up when she was 8 weeks old and she was in puppy social at 9 weeks! She's my second JR, I know how they can be. I wanted to work with her as much as I could, I did not want a typical JR. At 3 years old, I received so many compliments about how great she is...it took alot of work, but it was worth it. If it was not for doggie day care it would be a totally different story.

My "diamond in the rough" Bassett Hound mix is a sweet little girl. I had no issues with her until about a month ago. She has a little leash aggression, but we're working on it. It's only towards other dogs. If I let her run with the leash shs's okay. Doggie day care has really assisted in bringing her out of her shell. She had a difficult first year, she's really coming around

Thanks for the topic!

SF_Boi

Rockinonahigh
03-16-2010, 09:00 PM
I have a jr/ mini poodle mix....Rowdy is or thinks she is hot shit.I got her at 7 weeks old,I already had a black pug female that took to the new pup like it was her own pup..heck Diva made a bag and nursed the pup a while longer.When Rowdy wast the alpha pup in the bunch as the ppl I get her from said I may have a prob,but I only have a flair up of bossyness once and a while..tho she defers to Diva most of the time or just wanders off to cool her heels.The share food,toys and beds,heck they even let me sleep in the big bed(mine)
Going to the vet never bothers Diva any but Rowdy hates it,even going for a cliping she gets nervous,I havent needed to leave either anywhere over night
cause my son can take care of them when I need him to.
Truth is I dont like to leave my fur kids with anyone unless I have to cause I have had some bad experences with kennels and groomers in the past..the one I go to now is good with them.

lipstixgal
01-09-2011, 05:54 PM
I have a shortie JR and its a little aggressive with other dogs but when in the doggie daycare he really loved it and played well with others so hats off to all those who put their babies in doggie daycare its great wish I had the money to do it everyday for there sake and play time as well...maybe when I get a job I can put them in there~~