PDA

View Full Version : Java/Chat issue

Linus
01-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Ah, the bane of my existence! It's caused more problems for users. After doing some research I found the following article that should help those who keep seeing that "security" warning. For our chatroom it's a false message and to make it go away permanently take a look at this link and follow the instructions (there are pictures to help with the navigation of stuff; look for the section entitled Always activate Java for a site): http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-to-use-java-if-its-been-blocked

Linus
02-05-2013, 02:34 PM
I need to track issues for chat easier as it's happening all over. To that end if you having problems please post the issue here and answer the following:

1. What operating system and version are you using? (Windows XP, Windows 7, OS X Leopard, OS X Lion)

2. What browser are you using and what version that is experiencing the issue? (Internet Explorer 6, Internet Explorer 7)

3. What version of Java are you using? (if you are not sure, visit here: http://javatester.org/version.html )

4. What is the exact error you saw (describe or link to a screenshot)?

5. Where on the site are you attempting to access the chat? (be as descriptive as possible)

Please note: If you do not have an issue, please do not post. It gets confusing for people and for myself to track things.

Liam
02-05-2013, 03:12 PM
1. What operating system and version are you using? (Windows XP, Windows 7, OS X Leopard, OS X Lion)

Windows 8

2. What browser are you using and what version that is experiencing the issue? (Internet Explorer 6, Internet Explorer 7)

Chrome Version 24.0.1312.57 m

3. What version of Java are you using? (if you are not sure, visit here: http://javatester.org/version.html )

Java Version 1.7.0_13 from Oracle Corporation

"Who is Chatting" drop down navigational link does not work correctly, it just opens the floating chat window.

5. Where on the site are you attempting to access the chat? (be as descriptive as possible)

I've tried to view who is in chat from the home page, my user CP page, the arcade, it just doesn't work correctly regardless, of where I am trying to access the information.

Linus
02-05-2013, 03:23 PM

Windows 8

Chrome Version 24.0.1312.57 m

Java Version 1.7.0_13 from Oracle Corporation

"Who is Chatting" drop down navigational link does not work correctly, it just opens the floating chat window.

I've tried to view who is in chat from the home page, my user CP page, the arcade, it just doesn't work correctly regardless, of where I am trying to access the information.

Who's Chatting is definitely broken. As much as I know everyone like's to preview who's in there, at this time everything I've tried to address it has failed. For now, I'll just have to table this to be fixed later.

durrrrrrrr
02-05-2013, 05:38 PM
if someone wants to see "who's chatting"

you can click on "forum" on the left side , front page, under "Site Navigation"

then scroll down to the bottom and there you will see who's chatting.

if you put your mouse over the "chat room" that is underlined, that may also be another route to enter chat. that one though, i am not 100% sure if it works for everyone or not

JustBeingMe
02-05-2013, 07:52 PM
Using windows 7 latest versions of IE, Safari, Google chrome, chat cannot be accessed by using the Chat Room link next to Log Out. It gives the following message :
The website encountered an error while retrieving http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/addonchat.php?do=popup&. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this webpage later.
HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.
(I already sent you an email with screen shots) I get this message only on the Main Page if I directly click onto chat on top right next to Log Out.

I have to use a different way to get into chat either by
1. clicking on New Posts and then clicking the chat room next to log out,
2. clicking on Chat under Site Navigation or
3.clicking on chat under the Reunion Info. on far right.

Also, to get the window to float after chat room opens, I have to click on the tab left of the question mark at the bottom of chat if I enter chat via site Navigation.
If I enter chat by going through New Posts, the chat automatically floats the window.

Thanks for your help ALL MIGHTY GURU LINUS.

Linus
02-06-2013, 07:06 AM
Using windows 7 latest versions of IE, Safari, Google chrome, chat cannot be accessed by using the Chat Room link next to Log Out. It gives the following message :
The website encountered an error while retrieving http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/addonchat.php?do=popup&. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this webpage later.
HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.
(I already sent you an email with screen shots) I get this message only on the Main Page if I directly click onto chat on top right next to Log Out.

I have to use a different way to get into chat either by
1. clicking on New Posts and then clicking the chat room next to log out,
2. clicking on Chat under Site Navigation or
3.clicking on chat under the Reunion Info. on far right.

Also, to get the window to float after chat room opens, I have to click on the tab left of the question mark at the bottom of chat if I enter chat via site Navigation.
If I enter chat by going through New Posts, the chat automatically floats the window.

Thanks for your help ALL MIGHTY GURU LINUS.

This particular error I'm finding challenging. As I run into it personally on one computer but on another, using the same browser, I don't run into it. Have you tried clearing out cookies for the site?

JustBeingMe
02-06-2013, 10:44 AM
This particular error I'm finding challenging. As I run into it personally on one computer but on another, using the same browser, I don't run into it. Have you tried clearing out cookies for the site?

Yes Linus. I clear out cookies from my browsers and from my computer by doing cleanup on a daily basis.
It is odd, because all my browsers.....IE latest edition, Safari latest update, Chrome lastest update and having Java's lasted update 7 u13 do that same thing; but I am not the only one having that issue. Most of the chatters are having the same one as me. Some of them couldn't even get into chat for some reason. I have asked chatters that have encountered any problems to post. If no one else posts the issues they have encountered, you won't know whats happening.
Anyway, your posts here have helped resolve an issue for at least one particular chatter, as well as me telling them how I get into chat.
Thanks for your time Linus, I know you are very busy at work with tons on your plate. Hopefully more will post with the issues they have encountered and the way they are managing to get into chat.
Anyway, this didn't start happening until chat was being worked on when it was being updated to accommodate more chatters.

Linus
02-06-2013, 11:20 AM
Ya. Well the front page piece was always a challenge before so not surprised it returned. As long as there are ways to still get in via the links when in the forum area or from the front chat icon.

Jean_TX
02-08-2013, 02:11 PM
I have a Google Nexus tablet that I'm using to surf. The tablet OS is Android 4.2.1. I cannot "chat" at all. I've tried using the Chrome and Dolphin browsers and neither can handle java applets. Based on my scant research, no Android browser can cope with java. Do you have any plans to provide a means for us tablet users to chat?

Thanks for any assistance.

JustBeingMe
02-09-2013, 01:48 AM
I have a Google Nexus tablet that I'm using to surf. The tablet OS is Android 4.2.1. I cannot "chat" at all. I've tried using the Chrome and Dolphin browsers and neither can handle java applets. Based on my scant research, no Android browser can cope with java. Do you have any plans to provide a means for us tablet users to chat?

Jean I posted a couple different ways you can try to use to get into chat , above. Try those and see what happens.

Linus
02-09-2013, 09:46 AM

That's actually our plan. Both Medusa and I have reached a level of fed-up-ness with the chat software and the lack of support from the vendor and are looking at alternatives. One of my key requirements is that it is tablet agnostic (ideally using HTML 5 rather than Flash or java).

Jean I posted a couple different ways you can try to use to get into chat , above. Try those and see what happens.

Justbeingme: I do appreciate the help. However, as I stated in the first post of the thread, I ONLY wanted postings from members where they were having issues. As an FYI: Because tablets (e.g., iPhones, iPads, Androids, etc.) don't support java at all, none of the suggestions you put forward would work.

Jean_TX
02-10-2013, 05:17 AM
That's actually our plan. Both Medusa and I have reached a level of fed-up-ness with the chat software and the lack of support from the vendor and are looking at alternatives. One of my key requirements is that it is tablet agnostic (ideally using HTML 5 rather than Flash or java).

...snip

I look forward to the adoption of chat software that is both java & flash free. Thanks for your response.

AlchemyGrrl
02-10-2013, 04:44 PM
I am subscribing to this thread hoping to be updated on the issues faced by us iPad/iPhone users. I use my iPad and iPhone almost exclusively anymore. Which I guess means no chat for now? Anyway, it doesn't work for me. Thanks for looking into it!