PDA

View Full Version : Coursera

femmeInterrupted
02-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Anyone taking courses through Coursera? The huge geek in me just loves the idea of taking FREE courses!

I'm currently enrolled with:

Astrobiology and the Search for Extraterrestrial Life (The University of Edinburgh)

Social Context of Mental health and Illness ( School of Social Work, University of Toronto)

The Language of Hollywood: Storytelling, Sound and Colour (Wesleyan University)

https://www.coursera.org

starryeyes
02-08-2013, 02:53 PM
I have never heard of this, but sounds like an awesome option to get my CEUs to keep up my certification! Thanks :)

easygoingfemme
02-08-2013, 03:04 PM
I'm supposed to be right now! I signed up at way too busy a time of month. I'm supposed to be taking a couple of nutrition classes and an algebra class.

My daughter is taking philosophy through them right now.

Next month I'm taking the women's civil rights movement class, and might have my daughter do that one too if it's not too time consuming, and she's going to take the How Things Work class. She'll also be taking the course on immigration and citizenship that starts in April. Coursera is so great for homeschooling a teenager!

Teddybear
02-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Thanks for starting this. I have never heard of this before and I cant wait to check it out.

I wonder do you get credit for the courses and if so are you able to use it to finish your degree

femmeInterrupted
02-08-2013, 03:34 PM
Next month I'm taking the women's civil rights movement class,

I'm signed up for that one too!! :)

femmeInterrupted
02-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Thanks for starting this. I have never heard of this before and I cant wait to check it out.

I wonder do you get credit for the courses and if so are you able to use it to finish your degree

My understanding is that you get certificate(s) of completion, but they are not used towards requirements for fulfilling degree's. :)

cinnamongrrl
05-02-2013, 05:43 PM
I wanted to thank you for posting the link for the free online classes. I am now enrolled for an archaeology class that begins in June! It's a subject that I have always loved, and I did take a class in college that I enjoyed very much.

Thanks again so much for sharing :)

femmeInterrupted
05-02-2013, 06:00 PM
I'm currently learning guitar through Coursera...an introductory course through Berklee College of Music

and

Genes and the Human Condition (From Behaviour to Biotechnology)
University of Maryland

and

introduction to International Criminal Law
&
Inspiring Leadership through Emotional Intelligence
Case Western Reserve University

It's awesome. I'm really enjoying it! :)

girllikeu2
05-02-2013, 06:17 PM
I am signed up to take The Fiction of Relationship this summer! I am so psyched! :) I'm a nerd too.

LaneyDoll
05-02-2013, 06:19 PM
AMAZING share! Thank you so much :)

:sparklyheart:

tantalizingfemme
05-02-2013, 06:26 PM
Thank you, thank you!! I just signed up for 4 courses....

Soul Beliefs: Causes and Consequences
The New Nordic Diet - from Gastronomy to Health
Social Epidemiology
Nutrition for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention

I am very excited to start them!!

DapperButch
05-02-2013, 06:32 PM
Thank you, thank you!! I just signed up for 4 courses....

Soul Beliefs: Causes and Consequences
The New Nordic Diet - from Gastronomy to Health
Social Epidemiology
Nutrition for Health Promotion and Disease Prevention

I am very excited to start them!!

4??? Well, aren't we the greedy little girl...;)

tantalizingfemme
05-02-2013, 06:38 PM
4??? Well, aren't we the greedy little girl...;)

Oh I am...I like to get what I want. :innocent:

DapperButch
05-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Oh I am...I like to get what I want. :innocent:

:tongue:

Linus
05-03-2013, 06:32 AM
I'm doing the Gamification class and signed up for the Signature track. The style of online teaching is definitely interesting and leads to lots of variety of discussions.

pajama
05-03-2013, 06:35 AM
I am signed up to take The Fiction of Relationship this summer! I am so psyched! :) I'm a nerd too.

Me too. We can start our own little private forum chat about it.

Hollylane
05-03-2013, 07:00 AM
Anyone taking courses through Coursera? The huge geek in me just loves the idea of taking FREE courses!

I'm currently enrolled with:

Astrobiology and the Search for Extraterrestrial Life (The University of Edinburgh)

Social Context of Mental health and Illness ( School of Social Work, University of Toronto)

The Language of Hollywood: Storytelling, Sound and Colour (Wesleyan University)

https://www.coursera.org

Oh nooooooooo......Gigantic educational rabbit hole...You are truly evil. :|

justkim
05-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Thank you! I am going to look into this further when I have some free time.

Kobi
05-03-2013, 08:28 AM
This is way cool. I love learning new stuff. So far, I am looking at Climate Literacy, Interprofessional Healthcare Informatics, Social Epidemiology, Malicious Software and its Underground Economy.

And, I am really liking the course selections for the fall.

Thanks for the heads up on this femme.

Kelt
05-03-2013, 09:07 AM
Great, I hate you.

This looks like the ultimate rabbit hole.

I don't dare do more than drool over the offerings right now as I am in the middle of a pretty intense course elsewhere. But, you can bet I will scurry over there the minute that is wrapped up in a couple of months. I can't wait!

Serious continuing education junkie here.

Thank you :cheesy:

Gráinne
05-03-2013, 09:43 AM
Any course for free? No catch?

Between this and TED, it's great :)

BoDy*ShOt
05-03-2013, 01:59 PM
two courses signed up for! this is just what I needed to keep me out of trouble!!

xo & big thanks to you, fI!!!!!

femmeInterrupted
05-03-2013, 02:36 PM
http://media-cache-ec3.pinimg.com/736x/f0/b1/fd/f0b1fdf2564d4b37986c7dba0f514af4.jpg

pajama
05-11-2013, 02:33 PM
Started my nutrition class this week. Went and checked out the summer/fall classes, since I hadn't looked at offerings in months. Found 3 more that I enrolled in and 3 that I am on the watch list for when they are offered again.......

Down the rabbit hole I go.

VintageFemme
05-11-2013, 02:48 PM
I love this! I signed up for a few as well, the first one beginning Monday! I'm very excited. =)