PDA

View Full Version : Slow Cooker Recipes - - - Let's share

WolfyOne
01-08-2010, 02:56 PM
While I was thinking about slow cookers and cold weather, I thought I'd get this started. See if anyone has anything to share. With winter here, some of us tend to get lazy and look for simple ways to cook. Whether it be a roast, country ribs or soup. If you can make it in a slow cooker please share here.

I'll be back with a couple as soon as I gather up the recipes.

Jet
01-08-2010, 05:13 PM
Hurst's 15-bean Cajun Soup

In Crock Pot:
1 bag of Hurst's Beans, rinsed
10 chopped garlic cloves, sauteed
2 onions, chopped, sauteed
1 large can of diced tomatoes.

Your choice of:
4 linked Italian Turkey Sausages, sliced and browned
or
3-4 Ham hocks
or
2-3 cups of sliced cooked ham
or
sliced bacon, fried lightly crisp

Cook all on high until beans are tender

WolfyOne
01-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

Ingredients
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
3 1/2- to 4-pound boneless pork shoulder roast, netted or tied
1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell'sฎ Condensed French Onion Soup
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 tbsp. packed brown sugar
12 round sandwich rolls or hamburger rolls, split
Cooking Instructions
Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook until it’s well browned on all sides.

Stir the soup, ketchup, vinegar and brown sugar in a 5-quart slow cooker. Add the pork and turn to coat.

Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours* or until the pork is fork-tender.

Remove the pork from the cooker to a cutting board and let stand for 10 minutes. Using 2 forks, shred the pork. Return the pork to the cooker.

Divide the pork and sauce mixture among the rolls.

*Or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.

WolfyOne
01-09-2010, 11:23 AM
I have an easy fix for any kind of roast you put in a slow cooker.

1) 3 pound or larger roast (beef or pork)
1) can cream of mushroom soup
1) package dry onion soup mix

Put the can of mushroom soup in the bottom of the cooker. Set the roast in a nd pour half can of water over the top. Add the onion soup mix to the top like a rub. Cover, cook on high 2 hours and then turn down to low until you think it's done. I usually use a 3 or 4 pound roast and cook it on low for 6 hours. The mixture of the soups will make a gravy.

sharkchomp
01-09-2010, 04:35 PM
I just got a slow cooker for Christmas so I'm interested in some recipes :)

~~~shark~~~~~~~

dixie
01-09-2010, 05:16 PM
I only do two things with mine:

1~ throw in a boston butt
~ salt and pepper a little
~ cover in bbq sauce
Cook on low about 8 hours and shred for sandwiches.

or

2~ throw in a pack of lil smoked sausages
~ cover in bbq sauce (or u can use a bottle of ketchup and jar of grape
jelly in place of the bbq sauce)
Cook 4 hours. Eat.

I'm a kinda lazy cook. It's a good thing Lee is the cook in my house, she keeps me balanced. ..lol

WolfyOne
01-09-2010, 05:45 PM
I just got a slow cooker for Christmas so I'm interested in some recipes :)

~~~shark~~~~~~~

It's amazing how many things you can cook with a slow cooker. We got a new one for Christmas last year and it came with 3 different size crocks. A 2, 4 and 6 quart. Makes it very versatile.

WolfyOne
01-09-2010, 05:47 PM
I only do two things with mine:

1~ throw in a boston butt
~ salt and pepper a little
~ cover in bbq sauce
Cook on low about 8 hours and shred for sandwiches.

or

2~ throw in a pack of lil smoked sausages
~ cover in bbq sauce (or u can use a bottle of ketchup and jar of grape
jelly in place of the bbq sauce)
Cook 4 hours. Eat.

I'm a kinda lazy cook. It's a good thing Lee is the cook in my house, she keeps me balanced. ..lol

You should try the pulled pork recipe I posted. You'll never have to buy bottled BBQ Sauce again. I even make my own BBQ sauce when grilling chicken.

Spirit Dancer
01-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Chicken Stew Southwestern Style

INGREDIENTS

2 lbs skinless boneless chicken breasts cut into 1 1/2' pieces
4 med russet potatoes, peeled and cut very small
1 (15 oz) can mild salsa
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies
1 (1 1/4 oz) pkg taco seasoning mix
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce

DIRECTIONS

Mix all ingredients together in crockpot, cook 7-9 hours on low. Serve with warm flour tortillas.

Apple Cobbler

INGREDIENTS

4 medium-sized apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups granola cereal, your favorite

DIRECTIONS

Place apples in buttered slow cooker; Combine remaining ingredients and sprinkle over apples. Cover and cook on LOW 7 to 9 hours or on HIGH 3 to 4 hours. Serve with cream or ice cream
Serves 4.

WolfyOne
01-10-2010, 12:15 PM

INGREDIENTS

1 (15 oz) can mild salsa
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce

DIRECTIONS

Mix all ingredients together in crockpot, cook 7-9 hours on low. Serve with warm flour tortillas.

Apple Cobbler

INGREDIENTS

4 medium-sized apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
1/4 cup honey
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 cups granola cereal, your favorite

DIRECTIONS

Place apples in buttered slow cooker; Combine remaining ingredients and sprinkle over apples. Cover and cook on LOW 7 to 9 hours or on HIGH 3 to 4 hours. Serve with cream or ice cream
Serves 4.

Both recipes sound wonderful. Next time I go grocery shopping, I'll have to remember to make a list, so i can get the ingredients I don't already stock.

Spirit Dancer
01-10-2010, 01:08 PM
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork

Ingredients
1 tbsp. vegetable oil
3 1/2- to 4-pound boneless pork shoulder roast, netted or tied
1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Campbell'sฎ Condensed French Onion Soup
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup cider vinegar
3 tbsp. packed brown sugar
12 round sandwich rolls or hamburger rolls, split
Cooking Instructions
Heat the oil in a 10-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the pork and cook until it’s well browned on all sides.

Stir the soup, ketchup, vinegar and brown sugar in a 5-quart slow cooker. Add the pork and turn to coat.

Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours* or until the pork is fork-tender.

Remove the pork from the cooker to a cutting board and let stand for 10 minutes. Using 2 forks, shred the pork. Return the pork to the cooker.

Divide the pork and sauce mixture among the rolls.

*Or on HIGH for 4 to 5 hours.

This one is cooking now, thanks for the recipe:chef:

Tommi
01-10-2010, 01:12 PM

INGREDIENTS

1 (15 oz) can mild salsa
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce

DIRECTIONS

Now, this looks like one I can shop for, find the stuff, take on the challenge and try. Thank you.:goodpost:

Sachita
01-10-2010, 01:26 PM
I'm a big curry fan and like lots of flavors. I don't really have a need a for a slow cooker but enjoy making soups and stews that I can nibble on throughout the day. here is one of my favorites.

I use organic chicken or turkey thighs. I brown them in coconut oil because I can get it really hot, searing and brown well.

Then in my crock I put the chicken, a little chicken stock, coconut milk, lemon grass, lots of curry, mushrooms, onions, roasted peppers. Sometimes in the end I'll dice up some potatoes, yukon gold and let it all cook slow. The smell is amazing and the taste is to die for.

Spirit Dancer
01-10-2010, 01:28 PM
Now, this looks like one I can shop for, find the stuff, take on the challenge and try. Thank you.:goodpost:

it's tasty too. Here's a fav of mine

Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients 6 green sweet peppers
1/2 medium onion
1 pound lean ground sirloin
1 cup minute rice uncooked
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (low moisture, part skim) (4 ounces)
Nonstick cooking spray
1 16-oz can tomato sauce

Method
Wash green peppers and cut tops off. Clean out seeds from inside of peppers. In medium bowl combine beef, rice, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper,8oz of the tomato sauce, and cheese. Mix well. Scoop mixture evenly into the six peppers. Lightly coat the inside of the crock pot with cooking spray for easy cleanup. Place the filled peppers in the slow cooker. Pour the remainder of the tomato sauce evenly over the peppers. Cook for 6 to 8 hours on low-heat setting or 3 to 4 hours on

LaDivina
01-10-2010, 01:35 PM
Ooo freaky. I just brought the crockpot up from the basement this morning! There's a pot roast cooking in it right now, similar to the one above.

I had a little-over-3-pound chuck roast, rubbed it with flour, salt, pepper, and minced garlic, then seared it in olive oil. ***Note: next time use garlic powder so as not to smoke up the whole house.*** :-P

Anyway, in the crockpot I mixed one can of cream of mushroom soup, half a packet of dry vegetable soup mix (we didn't have onion,) and half a can of beef broth, then put the roast on top of that and spooned the gravy over it.

After a couple hours on high, I added potatoes, onions, and carrots, as well as parsley, salt, and pepper. It'll probably be another 2-3 hours after that, but I'll keep an eye on it anyway. I'll report after dinner!

Tommi
01-10-2010, 01:47 PM
Okay..as the non-cook of this group, I do own a crock pot. As da friend WolfyOne knows I do not cook....so, I must share a bachelor story.

I was told by a femme with great intentions that crock pot cooking is easy...I could put stuff in before going to work and come home to a wonderful meal.

I bought a crock pot during football season several years ago.

I personally have used it ONCE.. On a Sunday during football, I I put a corned beef brisket in the thing.
I looked in on it and saw boiling blood.. *** :firetruck: and ..well, it has been in the way back of the cupboard ever since...

I can say that the above are making me want to reach in and give it one more try.

Lady Jewel
01-10-2010, 02:03 PM
This recipe is very very easy and yummy. I like to make homemade mashed potatoes to eat with it. And homemade mashies are very easy to make.

Ingredients:
Two bags shredded cabbage (The kind for coleslaw)
One sweet onion
One apple (I use gala)
Pound of center cut bacon (Less grease)
Cup of kosher grape wine (Jewish cough syrup LOL)
Package of smoked sausage or kielbasa

Cut bacon into bite size pieces. Chop up onion. Core and cut apple into bite size pieces. In a large dutch oven sautee bacon untill brown but not burnt or it will ruin the bacon drippings which you will need. Remove the bacon and put the onion into the bacon grease thats in the pan. Cook onion for a few minutes till the onions are translucent. Throw in the two bags of cabbage and the cut up apple with the onions and mix and sautee for ten minutes. Remove from the pain and put it into the crock pot. Add the cooked bacon and mix well. Add the wine (Cooking boils out the alcohol) and stir. Cook on high for an hour and then turn down to low for 8 hours. An hour before its finished, cut up the kielbasa into 2-3 inch pieces and put it into the crockpot on top of the cabbage mixture. This really is a very easy recipe and is oh so delicious. If you are a vegetarian you can adapt the recipe to be meatless.

Dylan
01-10-2010, 02:19 PM
Ok, I'm going to sound like a freak, but eh...

When I was 15, our house burned down. So, now I'm kind of afraid to leave stuff just cooking in my house while I'm not there. Are crock pots safe? What if you don't put enough water/liquid in? Will it get too hot and catch the house on fire? Do they shut themselves off if they get too hot or something?

I mean, I would hate it if a pot roast burned my house down.

Do I Need To Get Renter's Insurance Before I Get A Crock Pot?,
Dylan

Sachita
01-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Ok since you all love pot roast I have a fancy version that will send you into next week.

You can use a whole roast or if you really want to get fancy take a half a tenderloin of beef or venison tenderloin.

I use coconut oil to sear because I can get the pan really hot without the oil burning but you can also use sesame. In fact toasted sesame oil only adds to the flavor. Sear your meat.

Add your meat into the crock. Next to the meat add fresh cloves of garlic. Then onions. I like whole cippolini's. Then potatoes and carrots. Next add a few cups of beef stock and a 1/2 cup of a heavy red wine. Add salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme. Believe it or not I even add a shake of Cinnamon.

Let this simmer for overnight or at least 6 hours. Then make a rue.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5310470_make-rue.html

This is important, dip out a large amount of broth from your crock. Blend in the rue and then pour over everything. Now let it cook another 3 hours.

OMG- to die for.The carrots and potatoes will be ultra soft, even mushy but its all good. The combination of wine, herbs and rue, just right, turn this into a very hearty, thick stew that will leave your mouth watering inbetween each bite.

WolfyOne
01-10-2010, 02:41 PM

......THUD

WolfyOne
01-10-2010, 02:42 PM
This one is cooking now, thanks for the recipe:chef:

You're welcome.....tell me how it comes out. It'll be like a review to the recipe.

WolfyOne
01-10-2010, 02:45 PM
it's tasty too. Here's a fav of mine

Slow Cooker Stuffed Peppers

Ingredients 6 green sweet peppers
1/2 medium onion
1 pound lean ground sirloin
1 cup minute rice uncooked
1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (low moisture, part skim) (4 ounces)
Nonstick cooking spray
1 16-oz can tomato sauce

Method
Wash green peppers and cut tops off. Clean out seeds from inside of peppers. In medium bowl combine beef, rice, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper,8oz of the tomato sauce, and cheese. Mix well. Scoop mixture evenly into the six peppers. Lightly coat the inside of the crock pot with cooking spray for easy cleanup. Place the filled peppers in the slow cooker. Pour the remainder of the tomato sauce evenly over the peppers. Cook for 6 to 8 hours on low-heat setting or 3 to 4 hours on

Sounds great, but I can't try it because bell peppers and my stomach fight each other.

WolfyOne
01-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Okay..as the non-cook of this group, I do own a crock pot. As da friend WolfyOne knows I do not cook....so, I must share a bachelor story.

I was told by a femme with great intentions that crock pot cooking is easy...I could put stuff in before going to work and come home to a wonderful meal.

I bought a crock pot during football season several years ago.

I personally have used it ONCE.. On a Sunday during football, I I put a corned beef brisket in the thing.
I looked in on it and saw boiling blood.. *** :firetruck: and ..well, it has been in the way back of the cupboard ever since...

I can say that the above are making me want to reach in and give it one more try.

Tommi, my buddy, as long as you learn when to use high and when to use low, you'll do fine. I personally have faith in your ability to follow directions. Just don't do it during a football game. Start with what's easiest and go from there. Once you've turned the cooker down to low, you're good to go for many hours.....just don't forget it.

apretty
01-10-2010, 02:52 PM

When I was 15, our house burned down. So, now I'm kind of afraid to leave stuff just cooking in my house while I'm not there. Are crock pots safe? What if you don't put enough water/liquid in? Will it get too hot and catch the house on fire? Do they shut themselves off if they get too hot or something?

Dylan

crockpots are really safe--but i can understand the fear, *not* having lived through that experience. what i would do is use your pot during the day while you're around--tile counter, nothing around it and no dogs/animals can get to it--first be around to see just how hot it gets, the outside does get warm but usually the pot will have 'feet' on it so that no heat touches any surface, ever... plus, the way that pots cook, they don't 'dry' up or you'd have to leave it on for a couple of days before you'd get something 'burned', that's my guess anyway, i've never had a pot burn anything and i've left it alone at least 10 hours, probably more--the only time it ever *dried* more than i liked was once when i made beans/chili and i didn't add enough water, so the bottom was 'good' while the top/surface had a crust of hard/uncooked beans--but still, no danger or house fire. --you're not the only one with this concern so i had to speak to this.

WolfyOne
01-10-2010, 02:57 PM

Dylan

I've never had a cooker run out of liquid. I really don't know how hot they get, but I've never had one catch fire. I don't even know if they have a shut off if they get too hot. I usually use mine on weekends when I'm home doing other chores and am too lazy to cook. You know like football season. I'm hoping someone else will come and post and be able to set you at ease.....I know, I know, I'm a bad friend without answers.

Sachita
01-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Sounds great, but I can't try it because bell peppers and my stomach fight each other.

try using yellow or orange peppers, seriously. The green ones mess me up too. I don't know why

Spirit Dancer
01-10-2010, 03:02 PM
You're welcome.....tell me how it comes out. It'll be like a review to the recipe.

:chef:pulled pork turned out wonderful:drool: it's tender and tasty two thumbs up.
Side note to Dylan
most new crocks have timers and a overheat shut off, my new one does.

WolfyOne
01-10-2010, 03:24 PM
:chef:pulled pork turned out wonderful:drool: it's tender and tasty two thumbs up.
Side note to Dylan
most new crocks have timers and a overheat shut off, my new one does.

Must go run into the kitchen and look at my cooker.....never noticed timers or shut offs, but then again, I wasn't looking for any.

Thanks for the 2 thumbs up on the pulled pork recipe.

LaDivina
01-10-2010, 04:27 PM
Update: the pot roast was delicious, the potatoes and carrots were perfect. Definitely will get something other than a chuck roast next time...I swear this one was half fat.

WolfyOne
01-10-2010, 04:35 PM
Update: the pot roast was delicious, the potatoes and carrots were perfect. Definitely will get something other than a chuck roast next time...I swear this one was half fat.

I usually buy chuck roast for the crock, but I trim off excess fat before cooking because I want to use the gravy with my meal. I never put veggies in with my roast. I think it takes longer to cook. I do, however, make mashed potatoes to go with it. When I'm peeling potatoes, I always peel one sweet potato to add to the white. Gives a whole new flavor to mashed taters

Ursy
01-11-2010, 04:11 AM

Dylan

I'm kinda paranoid too. I never used to be, but I caught it off my sweetie (who never leaves *anything* going when he leaves the house, and in fact makes a point of unplugging the kettle every time we go out)

I still use my crock pot when I'm home, but when I'm not, I use my thermal cookers - they are like really big, really effective thermoses (what's the plural? I don't know) and still work on the slow cooking principle but they aren't plugged in, they just cook the food with retained heat, which is wonderfully environmentally friendly and energy effiicent.

I loved it so much I started a livejournal community about it. It's mostly deaded, but there's some good introductory info there if you're interested in the concept.

http://community.livejournal.com/thermal_cooking/

Gemme
01-11-2010, 07:10 PM

Dylan

crockpots are really safe--but i can understand the fear, *not* having lived through that experience. what i would do is use your pot during the day while you're around--tile counter, nothing around it and no dogs/animals can get to it--first be around to see just how hot it gets, the outside does get warm but usually the pot will have 'feet' on it so that no heat touches any surface, ever... plus, the way that pots cook, they don't 'dry' up or you'd have to leave it on for a couple of days before you'd get something 'burned', that's my guess anyway, i've never had a pot burn anything and i've left it alone at least 10 hours, probably more--the only time it ever *dried* more than i liked was once when i made beans/chili and i didn't add enough water, so the bottom was 'good' while the top/surface had a crust of hard/uncooked beans--but still, no danger or house fire. --you're not the only one with this concern so i had to speak to this.

Hey, Dylan.

No worries. Apretty's right. Every one I've seen has 'feet' or knobs or something that keeps it off of the surface of what you have it on. You leave the lid on, so as it cooks, condensation builds up and trickles down onto the food (making it less likely to dry out, although you do have add some sort of liquid at some point). As for shutting itself off, some do and some don't. Look for one with an 'auto' feature. Most have a simple off, low, and high button or switch or knob.

Soups are super easy and a good way to get your 'crockpot' feet under you and clean out your fridge in the process! I just made one today with turkey bacon, navy and pinto beans, onions, potatoes, garlic, celery, radishes, peppers, and spices. I heated the bacon with half the onion in a pan on the stove to get some carmelization (read: extra yummy flavor) going on. I let the beans soak in the pot overnight and then dumped the water and any floating beans before adding the rest. I added just enough water to cover the top of everything and that was it. It was cooked on high for almost 5 hours and smells divine. It will be supper tonight.

Also, most pots come with good directions and sometimes even a few recipes to get you going. Happy crockpotting!

Spirit Dancer
01-11-2010, 10:09 PM
Beef Stroganoff

2 pounds beef stew meat
1 cup chopped onion
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of golden mushroom soup
1 can (10 3/4 ounces) condensed cream of onion soup
1 jar (6 ounces) Green Giant sliced mushrooms, drained
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
1 container (8 ounces) sour cream
6 cups hot cooked noodles or rice

1. In 3 1/2- to 4 1/2-quart slow cooker, mix beef, onion, soups, mushrooms and pepper.
2. Cover and cook on low heat setting 8 to 10 hours or until beef is very tender.
3. Stir cream cheese into beef mixture until melted. Stir sour cream into beef mixture. Serve over noodles.

iamkeri1
01-11-2010, 10:24 PM
Here's one that will satisfy the laziest of cooks. It was passed on to us by hubby's Mom and is a family favorite of ours. All four of my kids love it.

My crock pot sits on top of the stand and can be used also as a pan on the stove, so heres what I do.

1)Take out enough frozen chicken pieces to satisfy your brood. Put them in the crock pot. (turn the base on so it gets hot)
2)Add one or two TBS of whatever oil you prefer.
3)On the stove, sear till somewhat browned (with some cut up onions.)
4)Sprinkle on garlic and whatever spices you like.
5)Put the pot back on the base and dump a can of tomato sauce, or two cups of your favorite prepared spaghetti sauce, plus one cup water over the chicken.
(NOTE: If you are really pressed for time, just throw the chicken in the pan frozen, add the cut up onions, spices and sauce, turn it on high, put the lid on and run out the door - it still tastes great when you get home.)
6)Cover and cook on low all day while you are gone to work (or on high for 3-4 hours while you are home)
7)Ten minutes before you are ready to eat, drain a can of peas and dump them in the pot, stir it up a little and put the lid back on.
8)Serve over mashed potatoes, noodles, or rice.
Yumm!
Smooches
Keri

iamkeri1
01-11-2010, 10:44 PM
1 potato for each person you are cooking for, plus one more "for the pot." Wash the potatoes before boiling.

1) Cover potatoes with water (one inch over the top of the potatoes) and boil in pot with lid on until well done (a fork goes easily 1/2 way in to the potato.)
Note: Don't turn the heat off until you are ready to mash them because they get "funny" if you allow them to cool much before mashing.
2) Drain the potatoes. If you are going to mash them in the cooking pot (like I do), make sure there is not a bunch of residue on the sides of the pan. If there is, wipe it out before you mash.
3) add 1 TB butter/margarine for each potato (I said the best, not the lowest calorie, LOL)
4) Whip with a hand or stand mixer set very low till potatoes are pretty well mashed and stuff has stopped flying around. Gradually turn up speed till they are well whipped.
5) Turn speed down to very low and gradually add evaporated milk. (regular milk will work, but I like evap milk for anythin I want creamy.) Add mile till you have reached the consistency you like.
6) Put in a bowl, put a pat of butter/margarine on top, and serve.

Smooches,
Keri

Diva
01-11-2010, 11:41 PM
This is also easy......have a good can opener! ;)

VEGETARIAN CHILI

2 cans chopped, diced tomatoes (canned for chili)
1 small can tomato sauce + 1 small can water
1 can kernel corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 T. chili powder (or to taste)
1 tsp. cumin
2 shallots, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and sliced (You may question that in chili, but it sure is purdy!)

Saute shallots garlic in olive oil and throw in a warmed crock pot. Add other ingredients, stir well and cook at least 6 hours on low, stirring (and tasting) often. You may need to add more water throughout the course of the 6 hours.

It is pure yumminess......and if You're not vegetarian, then brown a lb of ground sirloin and throw it in there.

Top with shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream & serve with a tossed salad and cornbread.

You will be ever so popular! :pile:

WolfyOne
01-12-2010, 02:52 PM
This is also easy......have a good can opener! ;)

VEGETARIAN CHILI

2 cans chopped, diced tomatoes (canned for chili)
1 small can tomato sauce + 1 small can water
1 can kernel corn, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 T. chili powder (or to taste)
1 tsp. cumin
2 shallots, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
1 carrot, peeled and sliced (You may question that in chili, but it sure is purdy!)

Saute shallots garlic in olive oil and throw in a warmed crock pot. Add other ingredients, stir well and cook at least 6 hours on low, stirring (and tasting) often. You may need to add more water throughout the course of the 6 hours.

It is pure yumminess......and if You're not vegetarian, then brown a lb of ground sirloin and throw it in there.

Top with shredded cheddar and a dollop of sour cream & serve with a tossed salad and cornbread.

You will be ever so popular! :pile:

I'm only missing the shallots. All the other items are staples in my house, so must try soon......must go out and get good electric can opener, too.

Thank you for sharing :)

Blade
01-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Tip for Dylan. Turn it on when you get home and if necessary let it cook all night. Stick it in the fridge before you go to work or if you wake in the night check it and if it is finished cooking turn it off and it will be cooled down by morning and you can put it in the fridge. However I will leave mine on low while I'm gone to work and I am terrified of fire.

I actually got a slow cooker cookbook for Christmas but haven't used it yet.

Turkey Breast or Whole chicken breast face down.
Season with whatever tastes you like
Pour in a can of COKE
Cook on high
YUMMY and MOIST

Mom does a crock pot cake I'll have to check on that

Arwen
01-12-2010, 03:36 PM
This is something from my personal website. I first made it in 1998. Here's what I said about it on my site:

"This is something I threw together one morning when I was rushed for time. I had to get to work and start dinner in the crockpot. I had just bought a new bottle of V-8 Spicey Hot{tm} so it was on my mind when I opened the fridge. This is what happened next!"

Arwen's Bloody Mary Chicken

2 chicken breasts (huge suckers)
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup V-8 juice (spicy)
3 cloves garlic, chopped
dash celery seed
2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 dashes Tabasco

1 sm can mushrooms, drained

Put it all in the crockpot and stirred it. Set it on low for 6-8 hours. The chicken was incredible! Have rice with it for the gravy this makes! I use breasts on the bone. You can throw a few more in but you will want to increase the V-8 by 1/2 cup per 2 chicken breasts. If you do boneless, skinless, then I'd probably do 2-4 chicken breasts with 1/2 cup of V-8.

And you do need the spicy in my opinion. :) To complete this, just have a green salad and maybe some cornbread or biscuits.

WolfyOne
01-12-2010, 03:56 PM
Mom does a crock pot cake I'll have to check on that

I'll look forward to seeing this recipe.

Sachita
01-12-2010, 04:29 PM
I usually buy chuck roast for the crock, but I trim off excess fat before cooking because I want to use the gravy with my meal. I never put veggies in with my roast. I think it takes longer to cook. I do, however, make mashed potatoes to go with it. When I'm peeling potatoes, I always peel one sweet potato to add to the white. Gives a whole new flavor to mashed taters

I do this sometimes and then make roasted whole carrots. really yummy in my tummy! Ohhh garlic smashed potatoes! Im hungry now.

Gemme
01-12-2010, 06:42 PM
I picked up a couple of slow cooker cookbooks recently. One is the little book you see at most grocery or 'super' stores near the checkout. The other is by the Semi-homemade lady on the Food Network. She drives me crazy with her need to match her background, but I don't have to worry about that in a book. :)

I haven't started testing recipes yet, but she's got everything from apps to dessert in there and....Dylan....about half of the meats are chicken and fish. There seems to be a good chunk of roasts and I think I even saw something about steak. I'll let you all know more as I work my way through the book.

iamkeri1
01-13-2010, 10:57 PM

Hi Wolfy,
This is a second day slow cooker recipe. LEFT-OVER ROAST BEEF STEW

Cook your roast like you normally do without veggies, but cook one that is big enough for two meals. When it is finished, take it out and cut up, slice, or chunk,the amount of meat you will use for your meal today. Leave the juices in the slowcooker. Go ahead and have your dinner, let the remainder of the roast, and the juices cool.

After dinner cut up the meat that has been cooling into bite-sized pieces. Chunk up a medium sized onion, at least one washed potato and one good sized carrot per person in the household (I usually do at least six myself, we love carrots) Add whatever spices you like, stir it up and let it sit in the refrigerator over night. The next day add 2 cups of water and put it on the slow cooker at the lowest temp. This will not need to cook all day. At low temp it will cook in about four hours, at high it will be done in an hour or so. It's the best tasting stew ever because all the flavors mixed up together overnight. If it needs thickening, add some instant potato flakes.

About 15 minutes before eating open a roll of biscuits (or make your own.) Place them on top of the stew. Make a ring around the outside of the crock pot. They should touch each other, and touch the outside of the pot. Put the lid on and cook for ten more minutes. Then take the lid off and cook for five more minutes. This will make some some big puffy yummy dumplings on the top of your stew. Put a dumpling or two on everyone's plate and cover with the stew.
Delish! (and easy!)
Smooches,
Keri

Spirit Dancer
01-13-2010, 11:27 PM
My kiddo loves this one
Ingredients
1 pound Bob Evans Original Recipe Sausage Roll
1 pound ground beef
1 cup ketchup, divided
1 (1.25 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
2 eggs
Directions
In large bowl, combine sausage, beef, 1/2 cup ketchup, soup mix, bread crumbs and eggs. When well combined, shape into loaf to fit your slow cooker (round or oval). Place into slow cooker.

Cover and cook on low heat 4-6 hours. Spread remaining 1/2 cup ketchup on top of meatloaf 30 minutes before serving. Cover and continue cooking on low heat for 30 minutes.

Spirit Dancer
01-13-2010, 11:33 PM
must love Chocolate, this is very rich

Ingredients:
•1 chocolate cake mix
•3 oz. pkg. instant chocolate pudding mix
•4 eggs
•1 cup water
•2 cups sour cream
•3/4 cup vegetable oil
•3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
•1/4 cup milk chocolate chips
Preparation:
Spray a 4 quart crockpot with non-stick cooking spray and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the cake mix and pudding mix. In a medium bowl, beat the eggs with the water, then add the sour cream and oil and beat until smooth. Add to the dry ingredients and beat well. Stir in the chocolate chips.
Pour into crockpot. Cover slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, until top springs back when touched very lightly with finger. 8-10 servings

MsDemeanor
01-14-2010, 01:08 AM
Today I tossed some chopped potatoes, carrots, and celery in to the crock pot. Added a bit of chicken broth and set a cornish game hen on top.

5 hours on the high setting later, we had yummy fall-off-the-bone hen, nicely flavored potatoes, and perfectly cooked carrots.

Yummers.

Dylan
01-14-2010, 01:22 AM
I think I'm going to have to just face the fear, suck it up, and get a crock pot. And only one pot to wash. That's an added bonus.

Dylan

little man
01-14-2010, 03:34 AM
I think I'm going to have to just face the fear, suck it up, and get a crock pot. And only one pot to wash. That's an added bonus.

Dylan

no plates or silverware for you?

apretty
01-14-2010, 03:43 AM
i am starving (cuz i should be asleep) i do wish i had some non-meat *something* stewing in the crock. and also, i wish that the crock was somewhere in the house not in the kitchen, with this magical stew since the dogs are in the kitchen so i won't run the risk of waking them by going in there to search for foods! despair! hunger! crock!

i just had a banana that i could locate without too much noise, it was in a plastic bag so i quietly felt for it (in the dark) and then quickly left the dining room to peel the thing 2 rooms away.

now i'm obsessing over some strange corn chowder recipe that i glanced at in the vegetarian magazine in the check out line yesterday, but didn't want to spend 7 dollars to buy... oh plus, the burpee catalogue came and you know i want to plant an entire organic farm...

what? wrong thread?

apretty
01-14-2010, 03:53 AM
the recipe! http://www.vegetariantimes.com/recipes/10743?

iamkeri1
01-14-2010, 06:32 PM

That recipe looks fantastic, with or without the vegan "meat"!

Just one question ... You were hungry and you couldn't go in the kitchen because it would wake the dogs?
Smooches,
Keri

:dog:

WolfyOne
01-14-2010, 07:21 PM

I used to subscribe to this magazine. It's full of wonderful recipes all the time. I have some really old issues packed away that I should look for.

Check out this one for your garden..... www.organicgardening.com
I just renewed my subscription after receiving 6 free issues.

Corkey
01-14-2010, 08:02 PM

Dylan

Well actually if you get one that has an inner lining and an outer element you may end up washing them both. Um yea I tend to spill, :cooking:
I have a recipe to share but I have to go find it. Not necessarily for a crock pot, but a Dutch oven.

Corkey
01-14-2010, 08:10 PM
From Cooks Illistrated

Cooked this last night, friggen yum!

BEEF AND VEGETABLE SOUP

Serves 6. Published September 1, 2007.

Choose whole sirloin tip steaks over ones that have been cut into small pieces for stir-fries. If sirloin tip steaks are unavailable, substitute blade or flank steak, removing any hard gristle or excess fat. Button mushrooms can be used in place of the cremini mushrooms, with some trade-off in flavor. Our preferred brand of beef broth is Pacific. If you like, add 1 cup of frozen peas, frozen corn, or frozen cut green beans during the last 5 minutes of cooking. For a heartier soup, add 10 ounces of red-skinned potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (2 cups), during the last 15 minutes of cooking.

INGREDIENTS
1 pound sirloin tip steaks , trimmed of excess fat and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (see note above)
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 pound cremini mushrooms , stems trimmed, caps wiped clean and quartered
1 large onion , chopped medium (about 1 1/2 cups)
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 medium garlic clove , minced or pressed through a garlic press (about 1 teaspoon)
1/2 cup red wine
4 cups beef broth (see note above)
1 3/4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
4 medium carrots , peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
2 medium ribs celery , cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3/4 cup)
1 bay leaf
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin (powdered)
1/2 cup cold water
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley leaves
INSTRUCTIONS
1. Combine beef and soy sauce in medium bowl; set aside for 15 minutes.

2. Heat oil in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until just smoking. Add mushrooms and onion; cook, stirring frequently, until onion pieces are brown and dark bits form on pan bottom, 8 to 12 minutes. Transfer vegetables to bowl.

3. Add beef and cook, stirring occasionally, until liquid evaporates and meat starts to brown, 6 to 10 minutes. Add tomato paste and garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add red wine, scraping bottom of pot with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits, and cook until syrupy, 1 to 2 minutes.

4. Add beef broth, chicken broth, carrots, celery, bay leaf, and browned mushrooms and onion; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer until vegetables and meat are tender, 25 to 30 minutes. While soup is simmering, sprinkle gelatin over cold water and let stand.

5. When soup is finished, turn off heat. Remove bay leaf. Add gelatin mixture and stir until completely dissolved. Stir in parsley; adjust seasonings with salt and pepper, and serve.

The trick is to prep all the ingredients ahead of time.

Spirit Dancer
01-14-2010, 08:54 PM
This is something from my personal website. I first made it in 1998. Here's what I said about it on my site:

"This is something I threw together one morning when I was rushed for time. I had to get to work and start dinner in the crockpot. I had just bought a new bottle of V-8 Spicey Hot{tm} so it was on my mind when I opened the fridge. This is what happened next!"

3 cloves garlic, chopped
dash celery seed
4 dashes Tabasco

Put it all in the crockpot and stirred it. Set it on low for 6-8 hours. The chicken was incredible! Have rice with it for the gravy this makes! I use breasts on the bone. You can throw a few more in but you will want to increase the V-8 by 1/2 cup per 2 chicken breasts. If you do boneless, skinless, then I'd probably do 2-4 chicken breasts with 1/2 cup of V-8.

And you do need the spicy in my opinion. :) To complete this, just have a green salad and maybe some cornbread or biscuits.

okay we had this dish tonight and Arwen it was Delicious ty for sharing

WolfyOne
01-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Slow-Cooker Short Rib Sandwich

Ribs are perfect for the slow cooker because the longer you cook them, the more tender they become.

RIBS
4 lb. beef short ribs
1 medium onion, halved, cut into wedges
1 1/2 cups red wine or nonalcoholic red wine
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon salt
6 crusty hard rolls, split

SAUCE
3/4 cup sour cream
3 tablespoons prepared horseradish
1 tablespoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. Place ribs in slow cooker; top with onion wedges.

2. Combine wine, garlic, Worcestershire sauce and 1 teaspoon salt in small bowl; pour over ribs. Cover and cook on low 9 to 12 hours or until meat is very tender and falls away from bones.

3. Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients in small bowl. Cover and refrigerate.

4. With tongs or slotted spoon, place ribs and onions in shallow pan; remove bones and fat. Slice or pull meat apart. Moisten meat mixture with cooking juices as desired. Discard remaining cooking juices or reserve for another use. Place meat in rolls; top with sauce.

Spirit Dancer
01-29-2010, 01:47 AM
Black Bean Soup with Mojo
it's a little work after it's cooked, but well worth it.

2 cups (1 pound) dried black beans, picked over and rinsed
4 country-style blade pork ribs (about 2 pounds)
8 cups water
1/4 cup dark rum
1 head garlic, unpeeled, halved horizontally to expose the cloves
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Mojo:
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice (about 4 limes)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions
Put black beans, pork ribs, water, rum, garlic head halves, onion, salt, bay leaves, oregano, cumin, and crushed red pepper in a slow cooker; cover and cook on LOW until the beans are tender and the meat is falling off the rib bones, about 8 hours.

Remove the ribs from the soup. Using a handheld immersion blender, partially puree the soup until it is creamy but still has some texture from whole beans. (Or puree half the soup in a blender and stir it back into the slow cooker.) Pull the meat from the rib bones, shredding it into large pieces, and stir it into the soup.

Mojo: Put the garlic and olive oil in a small microwave-safe bowl and microwave on HIGH until the garlic is golden, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the lime juice, cilantro, and salt and set aside until ready to serve.

Ladle the soup into warmed bowls and drizzle each serving with some mojo

Blade
02-03-2010, 02:21 PM
2 chicken bouillion cubes
2 cups hot water
disolve cubes in the hot water
or
2 cups chicken stock

1/2 cup butter melted
6 oz box Uncle Ben's rice uncooked
small jar of sliced mushrooms
10 oz can of cooked chicken

in the liquid combine all ingredients, including rice seasoning packet in cooker
cover and cook on high for 2 hours or until rice is tender

Arwen
02-04-2010, 12:06 AM
okay we had this dish tonight and Arwen it was Delicious ty for sharing

Thank you so much for letting me know! I'm really thrilled you enjoyed that!

Spirit Dancer
02-04-2010, 02:00 AM
Slow Cooker Jambalaya

Make this Cajun/Creole dish as spicy as you like.

Makes: 8 servings

1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
2 medium celery stalks, chopped (1 cup)
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 can (28 ounces) Progresso diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups chopped fully cooked smoked sausage
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper sauce
3/4 pound uncooked peeled deveined medium shrimp, thawed if frozen
4 cups hot cooked rice

1. Mix all ingredients except shrimp and rice in 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker.

2. Cover and cook on low heat setting 7 to 8 hours (or high heat setting 3 to 4 hours) or until vegetables are tender.

3. Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook on low heat setting about 1 hour or until shrimp are pink and firm. Serve jambalaya with rice.

Spray the inside of a 1/2-cup measuring cup with cooking spray. For each serving press the hot rice into the cup. Place the cup upside down in the bottom of a bowl, and unmold the rice. Spoon the jambalaya around the mound of rice. Serve with warm crusty French bread.

Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 265 (Calories from Fat 100 ); Total Fat 11 g (Saturated Fat 4 g); Cholesterol 60 mg; Sodium 710 mg; Total Carbohydrate 31 g (Dietary Fiber 2 g); Protein 12 g

Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8 %; Vitamin C 24 %; Calcium 6 %; Iron 16 %

Exchanges: 2 Starch; 1 High-Fat Meat

Lady Jewel
02-04-2010, 07:15 PM
4 boneless and skinless chicken breasts
4 yukon potatoes sliced thin
Half a sweet onion
Cup of sliced portobello mushrooms
Fresh oregano
2 Tbl butter

Brown the chicken in a skillet for about 2 minutes each side. Spray entire crockpot with no-stick spray then place the potatoes on the bottom of crockpot. Then add chicken. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place 4 sprigs of fresh oregano across the chicken. Add mushrooms and onions. Put a few pats of butter on top. Cook on high for two hours, then low for 4 hours or until chicken is done.
Its a one pot meal and delicious. And when you serve it to your sweety they will like it so much they will give you a BIG ole :kissy:

Gemme
02-04-2010, 07:32 PM
Slow Cooker Jambalaya

Make this Cajun/Creole dish as spicy as you like.

Makes: 8 servings

1 large onion, chopped (1 cup)
1 medium green bell pepper, chopped (1 cup)
2 medium celery stalks, chopped (1 cup)
3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 can (28 ounces) Progresso diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups chopped fully cooked smoked sausage
1 tablespoon parsley flakes
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon red pepper sauce
3/4 pound uncooked peeled deveined medium shrimp, thawed if frozen
4 cups hot cooked rice

1. Mix all ingredients except shrimp and rice in 3 1/2- to 6-quart slow cooker.

2. Cover and cook on low heat setting 7 to 8 hours (or high heat setting 3 to 4 hours) or until vegetables are tender.

3. Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook on low heat setting about 1 hour or until shrimp are pink and firm. Serve jambalaya with rice.

Spray the inside of a 1/2-cup measuring cup with cooking spray. For each serving press the hot rice into the cup. Place the cup upside down in the bottom of a bowl, and unmold the rice. Spoon the jambalaya around the mound of rice. Serve with warm crusty French bread.

Nutrition Information: 1 Serving: Calories 265 (Calories from Fat 100 ); Total Fat 11 g (Saturated Fat 4 g); Cholesterol 60 mg; Sodium 710 mg; Total Carbohydrate 31 g (Dietary Fiber 2 g); Protein 12 g

Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8 %; Vitamin C 24 %; Calcium 6 %; Iron 16 %

Exchanges: 2 Starch; 1 High-Fat Meat

If you had a picture of this, I'd lick the screen. Seriously. :blink:

Spirit Dancer
09-19-2010, 07:50 PM
•2 cups crabmeat, flaked and picked
•2 cups milk
•2 cups half-and-half
•3 tablespoons butter
•2 strips of lemon peel
•1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, or to taste
•salt and pepper
•2 tablespoons dry sherry
•1/2 cup saltine crackers
Preparation:
Combine all ingredients except sherry and crushed crackers in slow cooker; stir to blend ingredients. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 5 hours. Just before serving, stir in sherry and cracker crumbs to thicken.
Makes about 6 to 8 servings. As a variation, add cooked shrimp to this soup about 30 minutes before serving time

WolfyOne
09-19-2010, 07:57 PM
•2 cups crabmeat, flaked and picked
•2 cups milk
•2 cups half-and-half
•3 tablespoons butter
•2 strips of lemon peel
•1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, or to taste
•salt and pepper
•2 tablespoons dry sherry
•1/2 cup saltine crackers
Preparation:
Combine all ingredients except sherry and crushed crackers in slow cooker; stir to blend ingredients. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 5 hours. Just before serving, stir in sherry and cracker crumbs to thicken.
Makes about 6 to 8 servings. As a variation, add cooked shrimp to this soup about 30 minutes before serving time

This sounds yummy.....some days I wished I lived closer

Spirit Dancer
09-19-2010, 08:01 PM

Awww me too my friend, but yanno no matter where
we are our door is open to you.

-Red-Flag-
09-27-2012, 04:38 PM
bumps this and subscribes, I will be adding some things here myself

Leigh
09-27-2012, 05:00 PM
Ooooooooh I like this thread; I'll be buying one of these soon so these recipes are welcome :)

Arwen
09-27-2012, 06:55 PM
10 of Pentacles Pulled Pork

6 lb pork roast
2 onions, sliced, divided
1 onion, chopped
1 TBS chopped Garlic
1/2 C apple cider vinegar
1/2 C honey
1 C water
2 16 oz bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce

Slice up the two onions nice and thin. Spread one of them on the bottom of the crock pot. Put the pork roast in (I usually go for a shoulder roast) with the fat side up. This way the fat will run down and make your meat nice and tender.

Pour in vinegar and water. Then pour the honey over the top of the roast. Add the chopped garlic to the top of the roast. Put the other onion on top of the roast. You can add salt and pepper here if you like. I don’t.:)

Put the lid on the crockpot and turn it on low. For a 6 lb piece of meat, you want to cook it at least 10-12 hours. This is reminiscent of the work you do to get to the 10 of Pentacles point in your life. You have to wait for the goodness that is pulled pork!

When the time is done, turn the heat off and walk away for at least an hour. This is for two reasons. One, you want it to cool a bit. Two, by letting it sit, you are letting the juice go back into the meat and it will be better for it.

Scrape the onions on the top to the side. Then pull the fat layer off and lay it to the side. If you have dogs or cats, they can have a SMALL piece each. I’m talking a 1-2″ square max unless you really really like a sick pet that you have to clean up after. EWWW ARWEN! This is a recipe for Gods’ sake. Sorry, but that had to be said.

Now take two forks and start pulling. If you have never done this, you will get a kick out of how easy this is! Make sure you pull the bones out and throw them away (or save them to make a soup stock with since the marrow will be heavenly at this point.)

Once the meat is shredded, depending on your time, you can add the BBQ sauce. Then you want to turn that slow cooker back on low for another 4-6 hours. This will let that sauce soak in so deep. Mmmm!

Serve with hamburger buns, coleslaw and extra napkins!

ENJOY!

See the full post here (http://tarotbyarwen.com/blog/?p=1824)which includes a narrative on this dish and the card. :D

Leigh
09-27-2012, 07:23 PM
For those who have a slow cooker, what size would you all recommend??

RockOn
09-27-2012, 07:38 PM
Shoney's Beef Cabbage Soup recipe is fabulous. You can easily google it. My apologies for not typing it into this post but am using a cell phone.

I prefer using the light colored kidney beans. The dark ones are a bit strong flavored for me. You will not regret giving this recipe a go. A friend at work told me she adds a can of niblets corn to hers.

Edit

Hey Leigh, here is the cooker I would recommend. (And I like the dial over the digital heat speed.)

Hamilton Beach 6 quart with the fasten down lid. You can take it while your food is hot to potluck parties. I believe I could roll my truck on the way to an eating party and nothing would spill out. *laughing*

Arwen
09-27-2012, 07:44 PM

I recommend the largest your kitchen can accommodate. Mine will cook a large chicken or a small turkey.

firegal
09-28-2012, 05:34 AM
AWESOME RECIPES ALL...

Perfect time of the year to break out the slow cooker!

-Red-Flag-
09-28-2012, 06:24 AM
I've got a Hamilton Beach 5 quart travel one.

This weekends slow cooker is lasagna .. It's a friends dish

Ricotta cheese and mix one egg and basil.
Layer starting with sauce the key is exta sauce in crookpot lasagna so it doesn't stick.
I usually break my uncooked lasagna noodles into pieces.
Then add clumps of the ricotta mix add a bunch of sauce and go until you run out.

Cook on low all day.

Wish me luck !

sierragirrl
09-28-2012, 07:01 AM
so i can prob toss a turkey breast in there to cook huh? it sounded good at the store its been in the freezer waiting for me to figure out a way to cook it.can you toss tatters and carrots in with it ya think?

chefhmboyrd
09-28-2012, 07:05 AM
so i can prob toss a turkey breast in there to cook huh? it sounded good at the store its been in the freezer waiting for me to figure out a way to cook it.can you toss tatters and carrots in with it ya think?

you sure can... anything you want to cook with it.

i like to cook a chicken then bone it for eats, and use the stock for soup.
yum!
:chef:

Tommi
09-28-2012, 07:43 AM
Come on Brudder. Road trip
Awww me too my friend, but yanno no matter where
we are our door is open to you.
Knock Knock. Brudder & I r here
bumps this and subscribes, I will be adding some things here myself

bumps this and subscribes, I will be READING some things here . Maybe even try some of the easy ones. I have a Football Crock Pot. Brown with stripes on it :)

PinkieLee
09-28-2012, 07:54 AM
Everybody has a favorite pulled pork recipe :) Mine is so easy you will be shocked...

Put pork roast (I usually do a pork loin roast) in crockpot
add about 16 oz of Dr. Pepper (or Cola)
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

Remove the roast and drain the soda. Then add that sucker back into the crockpot, shred it and add a bottle of your favorite bbq sauce (mine is KC Masterpiece).

Voila! My friends go nuts for this :)

PinkieLee
09-28-2012, 08:03 AM
I am all about the super easy recipes! D's favorite is roast and rice & gravy. Here ya go...

Put roast (I like a shoulder roast with not a lot of fat) in crockpot.
add 1 package of dry brown gravy and 1 package of dry mushroom gravy
add about two cups of water
flip that roast a couple time to coat with gravy mixture and leave fat side on top.

Cover and cook about 8 - 10 hours (depending on the size). It will be so juicy it freaking falls apart. Serve over rice or egg noodles :)

Sachita
09-28-2012, 08:25 AM
This is a little more complicated but worth the trouble. I like to fire roast a bunch of veggies- eggplant, zucchini, squash, turnips, onions. I have a big grill basket and get the fire on my grill or pit really hot, even flaming and then shake my basket and get them nice and roasted with a little EVOO.

I throw them all in the crock after, add canned diced tomatoes (I use fire roasted organic diced tomatoes) garlic, fresh rosemary, fresh basil, a little oregano, salt and pepper. Sometimes a little chicken stock and red wine. I let it cook for a long time, most of the day. I serve it like a stew and put a big chunk of goat cheese on top.

Leigh
09-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Hey Leigh, here is the cooker I would recommend. (And I like the dial over the digital heat speed.)

Hamilton Beach 6 quart with the fasten down lid. You can take it while your food is hot to potluck parties. I believe I could roll my truck on the way to an eating party and nothing would spill out. *laughing*

I will certainly look into that thanks Brock, and lets hope you never find out if anything will spill out into your truck lol :p

I recommend the largest your kitchen can accommodate. Mine will cook a large chicken or a small turkey.

I'll be looking more into sizes and what not to see what will fit in the kitchen :)

I've got a Hamilton Beach 5 quart travel one.

This weekends slow cooker is lasagna .. It's a friends dish

Ricotta cheese and mix one egg and basil.
Layer starting with sauce the key is exta sauce in crookpot lasagna so it doesn't stick.
I usually break my uncooked lasagna noodles into pieces.
Then add clumps of the ricotta mix add a bunch of sauce and go until you run out.

Cook on low all day.

Wish me luck !

Good luck Red, that sounds amazing!

Everybody has a favorite pulled pork recipe :) Mine is so easy you will be shocked...

Put pork roast (I usually do a pork loin roast) in crockpot
add about 16 oz of Dr. Pepper (or Cola)
Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

Remove the roast and drain the soda. Then add that sucker back into the crockpot, shred it and add a bottle of your favorite bbq sauce (mine is KC Masterpiece).

Voila! My friends go nuts for this :)

Oooooooh that sounds totally droolworthy Pinkie, this may just be one of the first things I try once I do buy a slow cooker :D

Spirit Dancer
09-28-2012, 09:01 AM
Come on Brudder. Road trip

Knock Knock. Brudder & I r here

bumps this and subscribes, I will be READING some things here . Maybe even try some of the easy ones. I have a Football Crock Pot. Brown with stripes on it :)

Come on down, and for you and your brudder we'll have

Chicken Athena

Ingredients
•6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
•2 medium onions, chopped
•1/3 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
•1/3 cup pitted Greek olives, chopped
•2 tablespoons lemon juice
•1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
•3 garlic cloves, minced
•1/2 teaspoon salt

Directions
•Place chicken in a 3-qt. slow cooker.
Add the remaining ingredients.
Cover and cook on low for 4 hours
or until a meat thermometer reads 170ฐ. Yield: 6 servings.

Spirit Dancer
09-28-2012, 09:02 AM
Coconut Curry Ckicken

•2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
•1 small onion, chopped
•4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
•1 cup light coconut milk
•4 teaspoons curry powder
•1 garlic clove, minced
•1 teaspoon reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
•1/4 teaspoon salt
•1/4 teaspoon pepper
•2 cups hot cooked rice
•1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
•Raisins, flaked coconut and chopped unsalted peanuts, optional

Directions
•Place potatoes and onion in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown chicken on both sides.
• Transfer to slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the coconut milk, curry, garlic, bouillon, salt and pepper; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
• Serve chicken and sauce with rice; sprinkle with green onions. Garnish with raisins, coconut and peanuts if desired.

Arwen
09-28-2012, 09:24 AM
This can be adapted to a crockpot as well but does require some preparation.

Arwen's I'm Just Ribbin' Ya Stew for the Queen of Cups

Short ribs
2 onions, peeled but left whole
3 new potatoes
1 bottle hard cider
Garlic powder
Garlic crushed
Worcestershire Sauce
Tabasco Sauce
1 Can Ro-tel tomatoes (tomatoes with green chilies)
Olive Oil
1 bottle Strongbow Cider (or some hard cider)

Turn on oven to broil. Realize you want to roast the veggies. Turn
oven down to 400.

Whine about not getting to the Farmer's Market for fabulous locally
grown veggies. Pull out onions and new potatoes. Realize ribs are
still in freezer even though you KNOW you've been planning to cook
them today for a week. Pry out of container. Run under cold water
until you can peel the plastic thingy from the bottom. Praise yourself
for remembering about plastic thingy... this time.

Put frozen ribs in cast iron skillet. Place potatoes around them.
Stick onions on top. Don't chop onions. Sprinkle with garlic powder.
Ok... ok... over sprinkle because you opened up the wrong side of the
container. Add Worcestershire sauce. Liberally add Tabasco. Bake for
1 hour 15 minutes. Remove from oven. (FOR CROCKPOT SEE NOTE AT BOTTOM)

Cut onions in half. Cut potatoes in fourths. Resist urge to put one
potato on a plate and just eat it as is. You only have three! Cut ribs
into bite size nummy chunks. Put in stew pot. Add a good forkful of
crushed garlic. Add can of tomatoes/chilies. Curse when you realize
some idiot ate the last can of whole corn. Laugh because you live by
yourself.

Open fridge and stare for a few moments. Pick up different things and
put them back. Eye your very last bottle of yummy Strongbow Cider.
Realize the sacrifice is going to be worth it.

Add bottle of cider and put in another bottle's worth of water. Add a
bit more Worcestershire. Stir and cover. Turn heat up to medium. Bring
to a boil.

Reduce to simmer and cook for 2-3 hours.

CROCKPOT STEP: When you take ribs and veggies out, throw it all in the crockpot (meat on the bottom). Scrape the pan to get all the crispy, tasty bits into the crockpot. You can cut it all up if you like, but that's not necessary. Once you have added that last bottle of hard cider, taste the mix. Add another bottle of water if necessary. Cooking it in the crockpot increases the juice so you may not need the full thing.

Turn the crockpot to low and cook for 4-6 hours.

See the full article here. (http://tarotbyarwen.com/blog/?p=280)

WolfyOne
09-28-2012, 11:05 AM

My crock has 3 changable sizes 2, 4 and 6 quart bowls.
Except I no longer have the 2 quart one as R dropped it outside.
(Mental note to self, check online and see if company offers replacement bowls)
The 2 quart size was great for sauces and dips

I like that I can just pull the bowls out for clean up...easy peasy

thedivahrrrself
09-28-2012, 12:06 PM
4 chicken breasts
+1 bottle of good bbq sauce (or make your own like I do)
+1 chopped onion
+6 hours on low
= yummy shredded BBQ chicken

♥ my slow cooker

Sachita
09-28-2012, 05:18 PM
anyone remember seeing a slow cooker pumpkin custard but made with fresh pumpkin, not canned? I had it saved but now can't find it. There are recipes with canned but the one I'm looking for uses diced fresh pumpkin, evaporated milk, of course all the spices, eggs whites.

If anyone has one that they have tried that's really yummy, fresh, please hook me up?

Spirit Dancer
09-28-2012, 06:01 PM
anyone remember seeing a slow cooker pumpkin custard but made with fresh pumpkin, not canned? I had it saved but now can't find it. There are recipes with canned but the one I'm looking for uses diced fresh pumpkin, evaporated milk, of course all the spices, eggs whites.

If anyone has one that they have tried that's really yummy, fresh, please hook me up?

Pumpkin Custard

2 eggs

2 egg whites

2 Cups Fresh Pumpkin Seeded and Diced

12 ozs evaporated milk

34 cup brown sugar (packed)

12 tsp ground cinnamon

14 tsp ground ginger

18 tsp ground nutmeg

18 tsp ground allspice

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 12 cups whipped topping (frozen whipped topping thawed)

Coat slow cooker with cooking spray. Beat eggs and egg whites with whisk in large bowl.

Stir in pumpkin, milk, brown sugar, spices and vanilla extract. Mix until blended, and fold in whipped topping. Pour into cooker.

Cover. Cook on low three to four hours, or until sides are set and center of custard is just a bit loose.

Divide into serving dishes and chill until cool. Top with dollop of whipped topping and ground cinnamon, if desired. One can also top with crushed pecans, sprinkles, sugar, whatever.

Logicaly
09-29-2012, 01:30 AM
I love me some crock pot cooking!

Salsa Chicken

4-6 pieces of chicken (totally frozen, don't even need to defrost)
24oz of your favorite salsa
1 Lime squeezed into the mix
Fresh Cilantro chopped and tossed in

Cook it on high for about 6 hours, adjust for the fact that some crock pots seem to cook a bit hotter then others, but I have found 6 for frozen chicken tends to do the trick.

It will be soaked in the flavors, and you can use the salsa you cooked in the crock pot as a garnish as well on top of the chicken when you serve it.

Scorp
09-29-2012, 04:00 AM
I didn't think it was possible to salivate quite this early (6 am) reading these recipes.

-Red-Flag-
09-29-2012, 06:50 AM
I love me some crock pot cooking!

Salsa Chicken

4-6 pieces of chicken (totally frozen, don't even need to defrost)
24oz of your favorite salsa
1 Lime squeezed into the mix
Fresh Cilantro chopped and tossed in

Cook it on high for about 6 hours, adjust for the fact that some crock pots seem to cook a bit hotter then others, but I have found 6 for frozen chicken tends to do the trick.

It will be soaked in the flavors, and you can use the salsa you cooked in the crock pot as a garnish as well on top of the chicken when you serve it.

this sounds awesome !

Sachita
09-29-2012, 06:55 AM
Thank you! have you tried it? I'm wondering how it will set. I'm planning on making this for a special family dinner soon.

I love my crock pot. I have a large one and to be honest I'd like it to be larger or I may get another. When I cook I always cook extra to freeze and or for my family. Every month I have to go round up my plastic containers. lol

Pumpkin Custard

2 eggs

2 egg whites

2 Cups Fresh Pumpkin Seeded and Diced

12 ozs evaporated milk

34 cup brown sugar (packed)

12 tsp ground cinnamon

14 tsp ground ginger

18 tsp ground nutmeg

18 tsp ground allspice

1 tsp vanilla extract

1 12 cups whipped topping (frozen whipped topping thawed)

Coat slow cooker with cooking spray. Beat eggs and egg whites with whisk in large bowl.

Stir in pumpkin, milk, brown sugar, spices and vanilla extract. Mix until blended, and fold in whipped topping. Pour into cooker.

Cover. Cook on low three to four hours, or until sides are set and center of custard is just a bit loose.

Divide into serving dishes and chill until cool. Top with dollop of whipped topping and ground cinnamon, if desired. One can also top with crushed pecans, sprinkles, sugar, whatever.

Sachita
09-29-2012, 06:57 AM
OMG Yummmmmmmmm

But I think we need to add lemon grass and maybe a kaffir lime leaf

Coconut Curry Ckicken

•1 small onion, chopped
•1 garlic clove, minced
•1/4 teaspoon salt
•1/4 teaspoon pepper
•2 cups hot cooked rice

Directions
•Place potatoes and onion in a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown chicken on both sides.
• Transfer to slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the coconut milk, curry, garlic, bouillon, salt and pepper; pour over chicken. Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours or until meat is tender.
• Serve chicken and sauce with rice; sprinkle with green onions. Garnish with raisins, coconut and peanuts if desired.

Spirit Dancer
09-29-2012, 10:55 AM
Thank you! have you tried it? I'm wondering how it will set. I'm planning on making this for a special family dinner soon.

I love my crock pot. I have a large one and to be honest I'd like it to be larger or I may get another. When I cook I always cook extra to freeze and or for my family. Every month I have to go round up my plastic containers. lol

Sachita
Yes i've tried it every Autumn, depending on the size of your crockpot the setting time varies when using my smaller crock it takes 4 hours, the larger takes 3 but it sets nicely. My daughter checks hers and it has taken five in her crock.

iamkeri1
09-29-2012, 01:17 PM
OMG I am starving after reading these recipes. I've been having a lazy Saturday sitting in bed watching political television (MSNBC) and enjoying the planet. Haven't gotten out of bed. Haven't eaten. (Just remembered I have home made chicken veggie soup in the fridge - YAAAAH!)

Why do we only post to these threads in the fall and winter? Slow cookers make sense all year. They use way less energy than a conventional oven, and they don't heat up your kitchen. (Always a concern here in Florida) Pair them with a toaster oven and you can pretty much get rid of your stove, LOL.

The recipes I have been reading here sound unbelieveabley good. I'm going to try to cook that coconut chicken recipe sometime this week. But seriously. recipes are optional. If you throw good, well cleaned, colorful food into the crock pot and season it with whatever seasonings and sauces appeal to you at the moment, then cook it for a while, when it is done you are going to have good colorful flavorful food to eat - it's all good - literally.
Smooches,
Keri

-Red-Flag-
09-30-2012, 04:39 PM
So, I did the lasagna thing today.. It came out good, it was a first time for me.. so it was a learning curve.. More sauce and more ricotta cheese for sure next time and I cooked it a little too long.. but I would do it again..

Leigh
09-30-2012, 05:04 PM
Hope to try these recipes out soon :)

Talon
10-02-2012, 02:48 PM
Stuffed Chicken Rolls

6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
6 slices of fully cooked ham
6 slices of Swiss cheese
1/4 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. rubbed sage
1/4 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1/2 c. chicken broth
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Flatten chicken to 1/8-in. thickness.
Place 1 slice of ham and cheese on each breast.
Roll up and tuck in ends; secure w/a toothpick.
Combine the flour, Parmesan cheese, sage, paprika and pepper; coat
chicken on all sides.
Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Then in a large skillet, brown chicken in oil over med/high heat.
Transfer to a 5qt. slow cooker. Combine soup and broth; pour over
chicken.
Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
Remove toothpicks.
Garnish w/parsley
Can be srved over rice or pasta, if desired.

Serves 6

Sachita
10-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Ok one of my favorites. Unfortunately I never measure but thats part of the fun! Maybe someone here can help develop a measured version? lol Trust me, this is one dish you'll eat often.

I start with leg of lamb only because its easier to get here. I cut it up in large chunks. I lightly flour and brown in extra virgin coconut oil but you can also use peanut or canola.

Once brown throw in crock add :
large sweet onion chopped
large shallot
lots of butter- real butter like 1/2 cup butter.
few teaspoons lemon juice (I sometimes use lime)
garam masala which is an indian spice.. yummy about few teaspoons
Chili powder, cumin - this depends on your taste but maybe ateaspoon each more if you like spicy.
few small bay leaves
2 cups of tomato puree or I use fire roasted tomatoes they cook down.
maybe a cup of half and half
cup of good plain yogurt

sometimes I use more yogurt or sour cream & less half and half.

bunch of nice yummy portabello mushrooms or shataki.

Of course salt and pepper and be sure to salt and pepper the lamb when browning.

Turn it on low if you're going to work. Or turn it on normal or high for about 4 hours depending on your crock.

When done I serve over basmati rice and put fresh chopped cilantro on top.

BTW this is a butter chicken recipe converted so if you rather not mess with all the spices you can buy a butter chicken mix then just add the tomatoes, yogurt, etc.

Soon
11-21-2012, 06:16 AM
...tried some cream stock (this product seems new...was in the broth aisle) with chicken and added some spices--really good!

...easiest--frozen meatballs with pasta sauce of your choice. I add precooked rice in a bag when done and voila!

Any other slow-cooker shares?

Sun
01-05-2013, 09:10 AM
Bumping this thread.

A simple recipe for busy people and want to share. There is literally nothing to this. Similar to the salsa chicken posted above.

Green Chili Pulled Pork

1 Pork roast 3-4 lbs (you can use any cut)
2 Jars Salsa Verde/Green Salsa (10-16oz each)
1/C Water

Optional: Jalepeno or Serrano Chili (you can regulate your own heat by
adding hot sauce when done)

Pour enough Salsa Verde in crockpot to cover bottom with a thin layer.
Add water. Add Pork. Pour remaining Salsa on over pork. Cook for 6-8 hours.

Serving suggestions: tortillia's, avocado, pickled onions & Chipotle Sour Cream. Just add 1/2 a canned
minced Chipotle pepper to one cup of sour cream. Mix. Add salt to taste.

You can also just serve it as is.

cinnamongrrl
01-05-2013, 10:24 AM
The pumpkin custard got me looking and I found this recipe for pumpkin oatmeal..

2 cups Old-fashioned Oats
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup Greek yogurt, plain, fat free
2 egg whites
1 cup pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
1/3 cup raw honey, more or less to taste
1 3/4 cups milk
Directions: Add the first 4 ingredients to slow cooker and stir to combine. In a medium bowl combine the remaining ingredients, pour over oat mixture and whisk just to combine. Cover and cook on low 1 1/2 to 2 hours on low or until desired consistency. Garnish with toasted walnuts pieces.

The recipe is from www.skinnyms.com I saw others there that looked good and they are for crock pot also

Bard
02-23-2013, 01:32 PM

3 cloves garlic, chopped
dash celery seed
4 dashes Tabasco

made this for the family just the other day and yes again teh Arwen is amazing

Mopsie
05-12-2013, 08:56 AM
My kiddo loves this one
Ingredients
1 pound Bob Evans Original Recipe Sausage Roll
1 pound ground beef
1 cup ketchup, divided
1 (1.25 ounce) envelope dry onion soup mix
1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
2 eggs
Directions
In large bowl, combine sausage, beef, 1/2 cup ketchup, soup mix, bread crumbs and eggs. When well combined, shape into loaf to fit your slow cooker (round or oval). Place into slow cooker.

Cover and cook on low heat 4-6 hours. Spread remaining 1/2 cup ketchup on top of meatloaf 30 minutes before serving. Cover and continue cooking on low heat for 30 minutes.

This looks good - I'm going to get the stuff at the store today! :)

Mopsie
05-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Coconut Curry Ckicken

•1 small onion, chopped
•1 garlic clove, minced
•1/4 teaspoon salt
•1/4 teaspoon pepper
•2 cups hot cooked rice

Directions

This one sounds delicious also! *bumping recipe to the front so I can find it*

Mopsie
05-19-2013, 07:25 AM
I didn't see this one on here yet ...

SUPER EASY MEATBALLS

1 package frozen meatballs (any kind - I use turkey)
1 cup of grape jelly
1 bottle chili sauce (can't remember if its 12 or 16 ounce bottle)

Put it all in a lightly greased slow cooker (think sprayed with Pam), turn on low, let cook for 3 or 4 hours. Enjoy!

I make this a lot during football season ... is also good for bringing to a covered dish meal (potluck).

Trev
05-19-2013, 07:33 AM
I didn't see this one on here yet ...

SUPER EASY MEATBALLS

1 package frozen meatballs (any kind - I use turkey)
1 cup of grape jelly
1 bottle chili sauce (can't remember if its 12 or 16 ounce bottle)

Put it all in a lightly greased slow cooker (think sprayed with Pam), turn on low, let cook for 3 or 4 hours. Enjoy!

I make this a lot during football season ... is also good for bringing to a covered dish meal (potluck).

These are great, I've had them several times and when I've asked how to make them...it's always this recipe.

storyspinner70
05-01-2016, 02:39 PM
I don't use my crock pot for much - You can't control it and mess with it enough lmao, especially my roast I have to be able to really watch and add things to when it's time...it makes me nervous waiting for it and not having any real input except at the beginning lmao.

I have one thing I make in the crock pot though, all the time. I got the recipe somewhere on the net.

Slow Cooker Mac and Cheese

16oz elbow macaroni
3 C cheese - I use cheddar and pepperjack but you can use anything
8oz cream cheese
2 1/2 C milk (may need more depending on how creamy you like it)
12oz evaporated milk

Cook it on low for two hours, check it out and make sure everything is melting properly. Cover it back. Should be done in 2 1/2-3 hours total. Super creamy. You can add more milk if it's too thick for you.

cinnamongrrl
05-01-2016, 05:56 PM
Bumping for all ye crock potters. Best kitchen appliance ever...

Kไtzchen
02-14-2024, 09:07 PM
Today I got my small crock pot out and I am cooking up a batch of lentils.

Here is what I do:

First, rinse off a small package of mixed lentils, which also has split peas too, and rinse off half of a small bag of white navy beans; then put all the washed and rinsed off lentils and beans in the crock pot and cover them with about 20 ounces of miso broth and about a quart of spring water (don’t use tap water).

Add a splash or two of your favorite vinegar (I love rice vinegar), then turn the crock pot on high and wait for the contents to become bubbly hot. Then turn your crock pot down to a low temp, add two cups of dry red wine, and let it all meld together to make a juicy lentil soup.

Serve with naan bread and your favorite hummus (I love red bell Pepper hummus).

Enjoy❣️

Chancie
02-15-2024, 07:28 AM
I started two cups of orange lentils and eight cups of water on low. After I have some coffee, I’ll peel a few small potatoes, quarter them, and add them to my slow cooker. I’ll season with a few vegetarian, no chemicals added boullion cubes, garam masala, tumeric, coriander, and curry powder. When Pete gets home from work, I’ll add a can of coconut milk and a package of frozen chopped spinach.