PDA

View Full Version : Turning the Tables on the Interviewer

LaneyDoll
08-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Last week I interviewed for a position that I thought would be suited for me. It went well, it lasted almost an hour and half. PLUS, they gave me a copy of the benefits sheet.

I did not hear back and was stressing it until yesterday when I got a call from someone at the company. I did not interview with her - she received my resume and application from the ladies I did meet with. It seems that they do not think my personality will mesh well with the other department because they are "strong personalities but different." But, they really liked me so passed my info to another manager for another position (she is the one who called me). This position is a supervisory one that answers to the manager who called me. She wants to meet with me and offered to let me meet with the two other supervisors (they hold positions like the one I am interviewing for). And, I get to ask them questions about working for her.

She admits that she is tough and wants things done right. No big deal. I am the same way.

However, I have never had the chance to have a Q & A session with employees of the person I interview with. I want my questions to sound well thought out and intelligent. I do not want it to seem like I am lazy or digging for dirt etc.

If you had this chance, what would YOU ask?

~please note~ I KNOW the company and its product so asking things that would teach me more about either of those would probably not be smart.

;)

Thanks for your thoughts!

:sparklyheart:

Gemme
08-15-2013, 04:31 AM
Since you know the company, have you thought about ways to improve the product or the flow from one point to another? If so, I'd ask about how taking initiative is received or how innovation would work from your position up. Maybe completely flip the interview. Turn the potential boss into the interviewee through her employees. You know, the usual 'what do you feel is Y's greatest strength/weakness/etc'. Also, ask about the earmarks of a typical day. What values are emphasized in that environment, etc. Basically, ask the things that will give you knowledge and power to make your day to day job easier once you get the position.

*Anya*
08-15-2013, 06:06 AM
I was able to do this in my last job (sure miss it!).

Because I knew all about the company and what they did-my focus was on how they did it, i.e., expectations of the supervisor, how the supervisor managed and handled problems and stressors in the workplace; how the employees that worked there did their jobs; how they talked to each other (was it respectful and kind or was there an undercurrent of hostility and trying to outdo each other).

I asked them what they liked the best about working there and what they liked the least. Even when they worked hard to put their best face forward, how they truly felt always came out-even in the little things.

Sometimes you can tell a lot about a company by the type of people that they hire and how those employees treat each other. I also did a lot of listening-trying to read between the lines.

Of course, the employer brings out the employees that they feel best represent the company; but you can still get a sense of how things work and the general atmosphere.

It also says a lot about the company that they would be willing to let you speak with current employees.

My prior employer even let me speak with the staff without supervisors present.

My current one would not do that.

Now I know why.

Best of luck to you! :bunchflowers:

Chancie
08-15-2013, 07:26 AM
This is an awesome opportunity for you!

I've asked,

Why did the last person in that position leave?
How is student success assessed?
And the corollary, How will I know whether you think I'm doing a good job?
What changes have you made here lately?

I think some people flourish with well defined clear guidelines and some people flourish when flexibility is valued.