PDA

View Full Version : Misogyny and Sexism in Advertising

Medusa
11-07-2013, 11:35 PM
We already had a thread for "Misogyny and Sexism in the News" but I just so a commercial that made me want to start this thread for talking about sexism in ads and marketing.

This is the commercial I saw:

ArIWEM2znO8

I mean, basically you can imagine the guy at the end drinking the tequila looking over at the guys drinking the cherry martinis and smirking to himself like he was thinking these men were "pussies" for drinking "frilly" drinks and not a MANLY GLASS OF STRAIGHT TEQUILA! (using that word for illustrative purposes since that word is often used to put down Men using sexist "weakening" names).
The commercial has gone to the trouble of putting him in a suit while the other two guys are wearing current, "young" styles and then they show the Tequila-drinker getting off a train, walking, implying that he might be entering a boardroom, perhaps giving a speech. He's POWERFUL! His JAW IS CHISELED! He wants a REAL DRINK for a REAL MAN! (again, all of this tongue in cheek)

There are a ton of examples of this kind of bullshit all over the radio, tv, the internet, and magazines that are way more subtle than a picture of a woman in an apron serving a frozen dinner (like the one above).

Can we share some examples? (please be careful about nudity if you link to photos and I'd prefer no photos of children)

What are some things you have seen in advertising and/or marketing that made you want to roll your eyes?

Gráinne
11-07-2013, 11:56 PM
I should probably stay away from the boards tonight ;) I'm in one of those moods.

Of course, sexism in the ways you mean it has been around since the dawn of television and print. But, a more insidious sexism works the other way; the common theme of smart wife/all-capable mother and doofus man. I think those ads are just as demeaning.

Maybe that's why I feel a little uncomfortable whenever I see the expression "2x4 Butch" here. Maybe it's just me, but it almost sounds like "smart Femme, clueless Butch" in the same way. I've seen that dynamic now and then on here.(NOT equating Butch=Male, again).

This one, for example, was pulled:

ZpgeACOMS9o

With that said, don't think it's only a recent thing:

ibugG89odt0

Selenay
11-08-2013, 12:39 AM
http://thinkprogress.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/sexist-gun-ads-bushmaster-mancard.jpg

http://static01.mediaite.com/med/wp-content/uploads/gallery/controversial-peta-publicity-stunts/pamelaanderson.jpg

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/FCKEditorFiles//sony-france-ps-vita-four-breasts-0.jpg
If you don't read French, it translates to, "Touch both sides. Twice the sensations."

CherylNYC
11-08-2013, 01:31 AM
ACH! Why am I doing this? I probably shouldn't even LOOK at this thread! I'm signing up anyway. Sigh. I guess I'm an even bigger masochist than I thought. I'll be happy to participate in a feminist critique of commercials and advertising.

I've worked in the entertainment industry since around 1968(!) at not quite 6 years old, but as an adult I've only worked behind the scenes instead of in front of the camera. Just as they were when I was a little girl, commercials are still the most offensive of all the woman-hating offensive advertising drivel to which we're continually exposed. Advertising strategy has been changing with evolving technology, but a typical 1/2 hour sitcom still has 20 minutes of dialogue and 10 minutes of 30 second advertising spots. Each spot has to convey a strong, easily read morality play within its tiny time frame. Everything from the carefully arranged neckline for the carefully chosen actress, to the selective, very engineered lighting has to convey the message that this woman is a good wife because she successfully keeps the house clean for her husband and family. Gaaah! If you've never been on a set, especially for a commercial, you just can't imagine how much time is lavished on each horrifying detail. Nothing is coincidental. Every detail is intentional. Every single thing that gets on camera in a commercial is designed to manipulate the viewer into seeing those cleaning products as imperative to the moral standing of any decent woman.

I didn't watch much television in the last year or so that I spent living in my parent's house, and I didn't have a television at all once I left at around 17 y/o. My long ago ex loved her TV, so I was exposed to it again while I lived with her for six years. I was thrilled to leave it behind when I left her. I vowed that I would never have another one of those poison vectors in my house again. That means I've lived with significant exposure to TV for not quite 23 years out of my 51. Lack of exposure has only increased my sensitivity to the hideous messaging that I do happen to see whenever I'm involountarily exposed to TV!

So, there you have it. I'm prepared to give a totally unbiased, even handed critique of advertising media. Bring it on.

As for the liquor commercial, besides the, uhh, pussies drinking cocktails with pink cherries in them, (except for the strong, masculine blue of the liquor bottle, all the other colour in film is very brown and subdued except for those tell-tale bright pink cherries), there's only one woman in this commercial who is more than just a blur in the crowd, and she appears in perhaps as many as four frames. She's walking towards him in the crowd, then turns her body to cede space to the all-important scotch drinking man. Then she follows him with her awe-struck eyes that say, "You intimidate me enough to want to have sex with you right here and now".

Retch.

Soon
12-06-2013, 09:33 PM
kOjNcZvwjxI

Kobi
12-07-2013, 07:59 PM
NswJ4kO9uHc

The_Lady_Snow
12-10-2013, 08:49 AM
Ya'll know how much I LOVEEEEEEEE the Superbowl...... Which is filled up with crazy, sexist, harmful, images flashing before our eyes while we all sit glued to the TV and look forward to those infamous commercials that cost millions of dollars...

http://www.missrepresentation.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/godaddy.jpg
Danika Patrick perpetuates the continual break down of women into parts to plug in her sponsor GO Daddy.

http://www.blisstree.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Screen-Shot-2013-02-07-at-11.29.52-AM.png
Anyone remember feeling uncomfortable after watching this woman and young man slobber all over one another and the spit webbing off their mouth? YUCKO

http://cdn01.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/headlines/2013/02/naya-rivera-extended-mms-super-bowl-commercial-exclusive.jpg

Even candy isn't safe

This was actually a shoe advertisement for Sketchers:

http://pmchollywoodlife.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/020211_kim_kardashian_superbowl_teaser_xxxx1102021 00641.jpg?w=544

http://cdn.hoboken411.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/01/hoboken-discusses-the-super-bowl-commercials.jpg

This was part of a Dorito advertisement

http://www.studiodaily.com/Assets/Image/filmandvideo/2009/02/doritos/510_underwear.jpg

The_Lady_Snow
12-10-2013, 09:02 AM
We've gone as far as sexualizing animals....... DIdn't anyone else find it WEIRD that women were oogling over a dog?

http://www.cardcow.com/images/set395/card00695_fr.jpg

http://hollywoodhatesme.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/joe_camel.jpg

girl_dee
12-10-2013, 08:58 PM
saw this one a few minutes ago...

/vQfmpXsLV_4

girl_dee
12-10-2013, 09:00 PM
http://filipspagnoli.files.wordpress.com/2012/02/b-king.jpg

girl_dee
12-10-2013, 09:21 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.1200726!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_635/390-victoria-secret-native-1112.jpg

Katniss
12-10-2013, 09:27 PM
Some of you may have seen this a few weeks back as it got a bit of press coverage. I showed the commercial to my 11 year old and she said, "It's about time someone listened to us girls." There is a current back and forth going on between the Beastie Boys copyrights on the song and Goldie Blox the toy company. Regardless of how that sorts out I am all about S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) for girls.

lMLYdoyFfmc

Katniss~~(it's never to young to get your inner geek on.)

CherylNYC
12-10-2013, 10:58 PM
Some of you may have seen this a few weeks back as it got a bit of press coverage. I showed the commercial to my 11 year old and she said, "It's about time someone listened to us girls." There is a current back and forth going on between the Beastie Boys copyrights on the song and Goldie Blox the toy company. Regardless of how that sorts out I am all about S.T.E.M. (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) for girls.

lMLYdoyFfmc

Katniss~~(it's never to young to get your inner geek on.)

That was awesome!

The_Lady_Snow
12-12-2013, 08:44 AM
kOjNcZvwjxI

Pantene has taken the opportunity like Dove did to show how labels are attached to behaviors and grooming, in males it is seen as a good thing, an acceptable thing, necessary, for the career of a man, as where women are demeaned with labeling

The_Lady_Snow
01-07-2014, 06:54 AM
Ahh it's my LEAST favorite time of the year, a time when all sexism and misogyny is pulled out in full force, making women look dumb, useless, without having any kind of life other than for the men in their worlds including their over bearing sons.

Let me introduce you to the latest women hate in advertising

aiulXuIGXF0

Here we have the misconception that Mothers/Women do nothing but live for the men in their lives and if they do decide to move on and find a mate *we* (Moms.women) are so distraught we are reduced to creepy, bad dressed, bad haired, distraught creeper/stalkers.

*spits* it's disgusting

CherylNYC
01-07-2014, 08:50 AM
Ahh it's my LEAST favorite time of the year, a time when all sexism and misogyny is pulled out in full force, making women look dumb, useless, without having any kind of life other than for the men in their worlds including their over bearing sons.

Let me introduce you to the latest women hate in advertising

aiulXuIGXF0

Here we have the misconception that Mothers/Women do nothing but live for the men in their lives and if they do decide to move on and find a mate *we* (Moms.women) are so distraught we are reduced to creepy, bad dressed, bad haired, distraught creeper/stalkers.

*spits* it's disgusting

Yikes! I would have lost my lunch had I been in the meeting where they pitched this POS.

Yew
01-07-2014, 12:21 PM
I stopped subscribing to Psychology Today magazine because almost every cover featured a pieced out or semi-obscured female image on it, often used too promote articls and concepts of thing that 'we' aka everyone, needs to change...yet no images of men were evident! This pissed me off badly enough that I took a few of them to my MSW Diversity class to use as an example of sexism. I post the link here...I see at least 8 images using women in thisv derogatory manner, just on one page of the site. I was and remain awed that a psychology production does this, as sexism, invisibility and micro-aggressions are pretty hot topics to psychology in general. I do enjoy and find interesting many of this magazines articles but can't stomach seeing cover after cover with women who are relegated to body parts, faceless or with words, paint etc hiding the faces that are there

http://www.psychologytoday.com/magazine?tr=Hdr_Magazine

And actually, I felt similarly at the time about the Equality magazine that the HRC was mailing out- most women depicted were femme(no offense to femme's, but...) the lack of images of butch women got me fired up as well as the lack of trans people...lot's of pretty gay men, femmes and sporty types; they at least got cultural/ethnic diversity in there, which I gave kudos for but the rest left out too many folks who represent and make up the lgbtq continuum, reinforcing my beliefs that the magazines purpose was to pander to the allies who donate to the HRC by soft pedaling exactly who lgbtq people even are

Gráinne
01-08-2014, 07:34 PM
ARGSYMc1TUw

Now, granted, I like Weight Watchers and I believe it's one of the best programs out there for eating healthy, not just "losing weight".

But this is in my craw. Jessica Simpson's voice intoning "Remember when life was simple and your job was to have fun?" I guess I feel that I'm not allowed to have fun until I lose weight to some magical number, and that as a female, I'm automatically supposed to diet. I feel badly for the little girl who will hit some age and boom-time to diet! And eating healthy is a drudge. (so it seems to imply).

Ever notice that all weight-loss commercials are focused on and star only girls/women? Men's commercials are about building muscle, losing fat and getting stronger, with no reference to weight. Weight is just a number, but as a woman in this country, you'd better be the "right" number.

Kobi
01-10-2014, 01:45 PM
Beautiful women posed as dead bodies are an advertising campaign staple, including the new Marc Jacobs shoot starring Miley Cyrus. Why does fashion fetishise the female corpse?

For once it's not the image of Miley Cyrus herself that is controversial. It's the woman lying next to her. In a new advertising campaign for Marc Jacobs, Miley and two female models pose on a moonlit beach, Miley sitting up, staring moodily into the middle distance, a woman standing behind her, while another lies on the sand. This model isn't reclining happily, or curled up asleep; she is flat on her back, hair partially covering her face, with the stiff, sightless demeanour of a body in the morgue. A beautifully dressed one, of course.

This ad campaign was released a day after the latest cover of US magazine Entertainment Weekly, which shows the two stars of upcoming film Gone Girl lying on a gurney. Ben Affleck is fully dressed and alert, curled awkwardly around Rosamund Pike, who is in a bra and slip, pale, wide-eyed with surprise, very much dead. A tag is tied carefully around her toe.

This isn't the first time dead women have been used in fashion or entertainment, of course. Over the years female corpses, especially beautiful female corpses, have become a staple of fashion shoots, advertising campaigns and TV shows – with sexual and fatal violence against women a favourite of TV programmes looking to boost a waning audience or build a new one.

Last year Vice magazine decided to illustrate their Women in Fiction issue with a fashion shoot depicting a range of well-known writers in the throes of killing themselves, or trying to: Sylvia Plath kneeling in front of an oven; Virginia Woolf standing in a stream, clutching a large stone; Dorothy Parker bleeding heavily into a sink. The fashion credits were included in full, down to the pair of tights used as a noose.

A 2006 Jimmy Choo ad showed a woman apparently passed out in a car boot, a man in dark glasses sitting beside her, brandishing a spade. In 2007 W magazine ran a fashion story featuring model Doutzen Kroes that ticked every box of objectification – multiple images of her seemingly passed out, semi-naked; one in which her lifeless hand held a teddy bear.

That same year, America's Next Top Model illustrated this trend with an episode in which the contestants had to pose as if they'd just been killed. This prompted surreal comments from the judges. One woman, posed as if she'd just been brutally stabbed, was criticised for not looking dead enough. Another, posed as if she had fallen from a tall building, was told "death becomes you, young lady". Still another, covered in deep bruises at the bottom of a flight of stairs, was told: "the look on your face is just extraordinary. Very beautiful and dead." The show could hardly have gone further in illustrating fashion's fetishisation of the female corpse.

This obsession with death isn't so surprising, when you consider it as the obvious and ultimate end point of a spectrum in which women's passivity and silence is sexualised, stylised and highly saleable. Over the past few years, there have been a number of brilliant projects that have shown the eye-popping strangeness of how women are posed for the camera, contorted into positions which make them look simultaneously ridiculous, weak, sexually available and highly vulnerable.

In 2011, for instance, Spanish artist Yolanda Domínguez created Poses, a project in which ordinary women reproduced model poses in everyday settings. One reclined awkwardly in a flower bed; another stood on the street, legs apart, bent forward, sucking her fingers; another posed, hip cocked, a clutch bag held dramatically to her forehead. People all around them gawped and did double takes.

Last year, a Swedish project showed the difference between the way men and women are posed in the notoriously creepy American Apparel ads, with a man gamely copying some of the female poses favoured by the company. Suddenly the incredible weirdness of a woman crouched on all fours, naked from the waist down, back arched to show off a denim shirt was completely clear.

A similarly effective gender swap was carried out by cartoonist Kevin Bolk, who decided to transform an Avengers poster so that all the men were posed as the one female character, played by Scarlett Johansson, had been on the genuine poster. The male characters immediately went from looking active, engaged and ready to defend themselves to being little more than display vehicles for their own buttocks.

Do people actually want these images? Do they want violence against women to be sexualised? There are some strong signs that they don't, from all the women who speak out against these images (Vice magazine ended up apologising and removing their fashion spread from the web as a result), to the news item, published last week, which showed that films that pass the Bechdel test – which offer at least two female characters, who have a conversation, about something other than a man –outperform their counterparts at the box office. Last year, of the 50 highest-grossing films in the US, those that passed the Bechdel test earned $176m at the box office, while those that didn't averaged $116m.

Still, there's a reason these images proliferate. If the sexualised stereotype of a woman in our culture is passive and vulnerable, the advertising industry has worked out that, taken to its logical conclusion, there is nothing more alluring than a dead girl.

----------------
The TOS prohibit pictures of dead bodies. The full article and picture links can be found here. (http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/womens-blog/2014/jan/09/female-corpses-fashion-trend-marc-jacobs-miley-cyrus?CMP=fb_gu)

Kobi
01-17-2014, 09:48 AM
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/33/84/b7/3384b7145d06b0a9dbcaaa611659bf21.jpg

Happy_Go_Lucky
01-17-2014, 01:04 PM
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2540819/American-Apparel-stirs-controversy-giving-mannequins-VERY-unkempt-bikini-lines-New-York-storefront.html#ixzz2qebOWIbD

"The company has also come under fire several times in the past for featuring half-naked models who appear to be under-aged on its website".

The wienie-bag perv who runs this company has a long and sordid history of fuck-nuttery, all geared against women.

Please do not view the entire article if you have a queasy tummy. After all....one can not UNSEE something.

Kobi
02-09-2014, 10:04 AM
A leading advocate for spotlighting how the mainstream media contributes to the underrepresentation of women in positions of power and influence in America, Caroline Heldman offers straight talk and an often-startling look at the objectification of women in our society. She illustrates how it has escalated, how we have become inured to its damaging effects and what we can do individually and collectively to demolish the paradigms that keep us from a better world.

New objectification culture has emerged in the past 10 years, and it’s marked by two things. One is an increase in the number of sexually objectifying ads in television, movies, videogames, music videos, magazines, and other mediums. The second advertising component is that the images have become more extreme, more hyper sexualized.

Why are we experiencing this now? It can really be boiled down to technology. New technology has increased the sheer number of images that you are exposed to everyday. In the 70’s, we saw about 500 ads a day. Now, we see about 5,000 ads a day.

Children, those ages 8 to 18, are spending an average of eight hours a day hooked up to devices where advertisers can reach them. What do advertisers do? They cut through the clutter with increased emphasis on violence, hyper violence, and hyper sexualized.

kMS4VJKekW8

Kobi
05-18-2014, 09:45 AM
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/86/96/c2/8696c296430ee455693dc31228ffa3d7.jpg

Kobi
09-16-2014, 07:08 AM
Noir -- a weekly program aired by the National Rifle Association as part of its efforts to reach a younger audience -- has run two segments that fetishize an assault weapon as an attractive woman.

Over the past year the NRA has launched a number of initiatives to engage with women, minorities, and younger Americans. Noir, a Sunday web series hosted by popular gun blogger turned NRA News commentator Colion Noir, is packaged for a Millennial audience, although the show has been widely mocked by critics as a phony and out-of-touch attempt at messaging.

A segment during the June 15 edition of Noir opened with a black-and-white scene of a stylishly-dressed woman standing in an alley. Doing voice-over work, Noir appeared to describe the woman, ranging from her clothing ("Her Jimmy Choo's can't be comfortable, but you'd never know it"), to her intellect ("Chess, yeah it's a men's game, but when she plays, men pay"), to her actions ("Flirts more than you can handle too. She's the kind to tell the bartender how to make her drink").

In the final shot, the woman is seen holding a Heckler & Koch MR556 assault weapon and Noir reveals he was talking about the firearm the whole time.

NOIR: Why is she alone on this dark street? On this cold night? You care, but she doesn't. Her Jimmy Choo's can't be comfortable, but you'd never know it. Unaffected elegance. Too cool elegance. Not for you elegance, you say. There's got to be something wrong with her; that attitude, high maintenance, hiding something. She's taller than you can handle. Flirts more than you can handle too. She's the kind to tell the bartender how to make her drink. And Chess, yeah it's a men's game, but when she plays, men pay. Say you don't like her, until she looks your way. She's not easy and she's not flawless. But she's never wasted her time thinking about it. She is the HK MR556.

As Noir explained in the following segment, "It's like the words really do mean what I'm saying in the video. The HK MR556 is that gun that if -- it's like that girl who's unbelievably attractive, she has this presence about her that seems untouchable and she's not apologetic about her beauty. But because of that it's easy to -- and she's largely out of a lot of people's leagues." One of his guests took the comparison further, responding to Noir's description of the "heavy" and "expensive as hell" gun by saying, "sounds like some of my recent experiences in Vegas like this past weekend ... you still want to have fun with them and they're a little dangerous." Noir's co-host Amy Robbins laughed, saying "Oh my god."

Earlier this season Noir used a similar format of objectifying women by reducing them to descriptions of assault weapons in an advertisement for manufacturer Daniel Defense. Gun manufacturer Mossberg and Daniel Defense are the two primary sponsors of NRA Freestyle, which airs Noir and other NRA web series and is the home of the NRA's lifestyle blog NRA Sharp.

The Daniel Defense advertisement, which aired during Noir earlier this season, also features a voice-over of Noir as he seems to describe a woman. At the end of the ad, however, it is revealed that Noir was instead describing the M4-A1 assault weapon:

gA-WY_R0q1o

This ad was panned by Wonkette, which pointed out it aired days after a California man went on a killing spree reportedly motivated by the killer's hatred of women:

Hey, hip cool millennial hipsters! Noir, the NRA's hip cool new web series for the Youngs, is going all Lifestyles of the Sleek and Carefully Waxed in this exciting ad touting the merits of a Perfect Companion:

She knows that she's made it... comfortable alone, steady among others... she leaves you sad for all of the moments you missed, but grateful for the thrills ahead ... because hidden underneath, is an adventure. She is: the Daniel Defense M4-A1

Hahaha, you think he is talking about a LADY, but he is actually talking about a GUN! Seems pretty classy, just a few days after a guy used a gun to get revenge on women who he treated as objects.

http://mediamatters.org/blog/2014/06/16/why-does-the-nra-keep-comparing-women-to-guns/199743

Kobi
09-30-2014, 11:47 AM
TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — The maker of the world's top-selling erectile dysfunction drug on Tuesday will begin airing the first Viagra TV commercial that targets the less-obvious sufferers of the sexual condition: women.

In the new 60-second ad, a middle-aged woman reclining on a bed in a tropical setting addresses the problems couples encounter when a man is impotent.

"So guys, it's just you and your honey. The setting is perfect. But then erectile dysfunction happens again," she says before encouraging men to ask their doctor about Viagra. "Plenty of guys have this issue — not just getting an erection, but keeping it."

Having a woman speak directly to men about impotence is a unique strategy for Pfizer Inc. The world's second-biggest drugmaker is looking for ways to boost sales of Viagra, Pfizer's No. 6 seller, at a time when it is encountering new competition.

Patents give a drug a monopoly, generally for 20 years. But when those patents expire, cheaper generic versions flood the market, often wiping out most of the brand-name drug's sales within a year.

Viagra has faced competition from cheaper generic versions in Europe since its patent expired there 15 months ago. Sales fell 8 percent last year to $1.9 billion. And in three years, Viagra will get generic competition in the U.S., where it costs about $35 a pill. Meanwhile, new competitor Stendra just got approved.

Pfizer has seen generic competition for several of its other drugs cut revenue by billions, so it is hoping to stem the revenue losses for Viagra.

The market for ED drugs is big. About half of men over 40 suffer from ED, occasionally or always, yet only 10 percent take medicine regularly, said Dr. Irwin Goldstein, who directs the San Diego Sexual Medicine center and has researched sexual disorders for decades.

Having a woman in ads makes sense because women often are more upset by ED than their man, he said. They often lose interest in sex and find it painful, said Goldstein, who has done patient testing of multiple ED pills and received consulting fees from their makers.

He said men generally dislike going to doctors, and when older ones do, they often linger as the doctor finishes, shifting from one foot to the other in what doctors call "the Viagra shuffle." Doctors then ask if the man wants Viagra, he said.

Executives at New York-based Pfizer hope the new ad campaign, which includes print ads in publications such as Esquire and Time, will nudge women to broach the subject with their mates. In the ad, the actress also uses the word "erection" instead of the industry euphemism, "ED."

Pfizer's marketing chief, Vic Clavelli, told The Associated Press that the company is trying to take a more direct approach in ads, unlike past ones that were "built around very subtle innuendo."

Until now, women have been absent or played background roles in the many ads for ED drugs since the first, Viagra, was launched in 1998. Viagra gave men an alternative to penile suppositories, surgery and injections, and 50 million worldwide have since taken it.

Ads for rival Cialis have featured couples getting frisky during everyday activities and then lounging in his-and-hers bathtubs. Viagra ads typically show middle-aged men doing things such as construction work and deep-sea fishing.

"It's definitely a unique strategy that could work," said Edward Jones health care analyst Ashtyn Evans. "The more people they can get loyal to their brand, the better."

But some question whether the ad, which is slated to appear on shows including "CSI," ''Blue Bloods" and "48 Hours," will build loyalty.

"I'm not sure it will result in more sales," said Les Funtleyder, health care portfolio manager at Esquared Asset Management.

http://news.yahoo.com/viagra-ads-target-women-1st-090243732.html

Gemme
10-13-2014, 04:25 PM
Dick's Sporting Goods Gets a Letter From a 12 Year Old (http://www.aol.com/article/2014/10/13/girl-writes-letter-to-dicks-sporting-goods-criticizing-them-st/20977313/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl12%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D544885) because their yearly catalog has no featured female athletes and only shows females in the stands.

Kobi
11-23-2014, 04:06 PM
http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/6a/72/0f/6a720f8b7fd88612a0946228b974c5e9.jpg

https://www.change.org/p/unilever-surf-remove-your-flirty-shades-surf-product-from-sale-boycottsurf

Gemme
12-29-2014, 06:44 AM
Gender-Biased Pricing (http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/12/23/gender-biased-pricing-savings-experiment?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl10%7Csec1_lnk3%26pLid%3D590193)

These two bottles of big-name body wash are nearly identical, except that one is marketed towards men and the other one is marketed toward women. The thing is, the ladies' bottle can cost you up to $2 more. Here are a few more instances of gender-biased pricing that you and your budget should watch out for.

Let's start with deodorant. At some stores, this name-brand men's deodorant can go for about $2.79 for a 3-ounce bottle, while the pricier women's version can cost up to $2.99 for a 2.3-ounce bottle! That's nearly 30 percent more per ounce. In situations like these, buying an unscented men's deodorant will not only be cheaper, it'll be just as effective.

Razors are another product notorious for gender-pricing. While there is no proven advantage of using a women's razor for shaving, these designs can routinely cost you more.

Refill cartridges can cost up to 50 cents higher as well, so using the a men's razor can help you save while you shave. And speaking of shaving, let's not forget shaving cream, which also tends to cost more. For example, these two cans hold the same amount, yet the female-branded one goes for about 30 cents more. Like deodorant, going with the unscented men's version will work just fine.

So the next time you're shopping at your local drugstore, keep your eye out for gender-biased products. Shop smart, and you won't have to pay different prices for the same product ever again!

Kobi
02-01-2015, 02:36 PM
9. Swiffer wants you to channel your inner Rosie the Riveter and clean the damn floor.

http://media3.mic.com/YWJkYjEwYWE1YiMvT1M5VXFCdmJ3WDJOYXdRazhqclprZ09sR3 NrPS8weDA6NjYweDM5OC9maWx0ZXJzOnF1YWxpdHkoNzApL2h0 dHBzOi8vczMuYW1hem9uYXdzLmNvbS9wb2xpY3ltaWMtaW1hZ2 VzLzkxM2Y0NThkNTY1MWFkZDMyZWUyMDk1NmY2Y2EwYWM1MDZi NDQyMzY2OWE2MzEzM2JkNWQzMWIxMDlkZWNhNWYuanBn.jpg

Although Swiffer quickly apologized for the offensive ad from a 2013 marketing campaign, the appropriation of Rosie the Riveter, one of the most iconic feminist icons, to sell cleaning products to women launched a slew of online outrage. The Representation Project launched an impressive #NotBuyingIt campaign and called for a boycott. It was enough to scare the company into discontinuing the advertisement.

See the rest here. (http://mic.com/articles/91961/10-worst-ways-companies-have-used-feminism-to-sell-women-products)

Gemme
03-10-2015, 04:32 AM
Salvo Sports makes a major misstep with sexist washing label (http://www.aol.com/article/2015/03/09/sporting-company-criticized-for-using-sexist-washing-labels/21151368/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl24%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D625134).

Washing clothes isn't just a chore it's a skill. Even though many garments come labeled with instructions, a number of people still end up with clothing that's shrunken, discolored, or wrinkled beyond remedy.

One suggestion for avoiding such unfortunate outcomes, however, has sparked quite a bit of controversy.

The Indonesian athletic clothing manufacturer Salvo Sports printed some of its shirts with the advice, 'Give it to your woman. It's her job."

Many have since expressed their less than appreciative feelings about the recommendation on social media.

One person tweeted, "...your tag is not funny. Domestic works are not woman's job only. Is this how you treat your mother?"

The company did attempt to apologize, responding to the influx of negative commentary by writing, "The message is simply, instead of doing it the wrong way, you might as well give it to a lady because they are more capable."

That didn't work out very well for them either.

Responses included suggestions that Salvo Sports get a better grasp on what the word 'equality' means as well as that they hire a public relations consultant.

Gemme
03-20-2015, 04:48 AM
LEGO magazine offers beauty tips to girls (http://www.upworthy.com/wait-a-toy-company-published-what-in-its-magazine-for-girls?c=aol1&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl27%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D630266)