PDA

View Full Version : OTCs and other easy health tips

Ginger
03-30-2014, 09:39 PM
I recently started taking more OTCs (Over-the-Counter drugs), and building a few more easy steps into my self-care routine. I'm not looking to set the HIPAA rule back 50 years (don't want to violate anyone's privacy), but what little things do you do, to support your health?

I'm lazy about researching this stuff and mostly do things because my sister and mom do. So now I'm adding you guys to my resource pool. And maybe I can contribute to yours.

Here's what I do/take:

Calcium
Vitamin D (last doctor's visit, she said I'm low)
Fish oil (because my sister and mom take it)
Baby aspirin (again, because my sister and mom take it and because my mom has had three small strokes since January)
Try to be in bed by 10:30 (tonight I woke up and couldn't get back to sleep though)
Increased my exercise to an hour on the exercycle at least five times a week, instead of half an hour, plus yoga and free weights (all at home)
Stopped drinking altogether (it was easy to quit, I literally just forget if I don't have a bottle of wine on the counter)
Added turmeric and cayenne pepper to my list of spices/foods
Increased garlic, ginger
No more muffins, sweets, high-carb foods
No more red meat
No more diet coke
Teeth stuff: I use the waterpik twice a day now plus sonicare, floss, prewash, hydrating post rinse (it's faster than it sounds)

I realize this is not the most exciting thread anyone has every started.

But maybe we'll get some ideas from each other.

firegal
03-30-2014, 10:55 PM
I would suggest you ask your Dr about the baby aspirin.Its use in adults is usually a blood thinner.Even thought it is a baby aspirin it still is a blood thinner.

To take vitamins that others take is one thing,but i,m pretty sure your Dr wouldnt advise you to take medication...even over the counter unless you needed it for the intent of the use... so to speak...

Be safe and ask... Just my thoughts.

PS i,m working with a 20 year paramedic tonite and i asked him and his reply was as i thought and mirrored what i wrote ... except a few more words that were a bit out of my vocabulary. lol

Gemme
03-31-2014, 04:40 AM
A multi-vitamin specific to your circumstances....women, senior, active, etc....is a good idea in this day and age of really accessible, crappy for you food.

I would not intake the full daily requirement of calcium, Vitamin D, etc in a supplement form as the best way to get that is through food and you could be taking in too much between the vitamins and food, and can OD on them.

Article about proper calcium dosage. (http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/QAA293439/How-Much-Calcium-is-Too-Much.html)

Article on vitamin D. (http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/about-vitamin-d/am-i-deficient-in-vitamin-d/?gclid=CJSAvMrJvL0CFYc7OgodLysAPw)

Article about fish oil supplements. (http://www.webmd.com/hypertension-high-blood-pressure/guide/omega-3-fish-oil-supplements-for-high-blood-pressure)

Looking this up for you took only 5 minutes and actually taught me something. More than 3 grams of fish oil can cause bleeding and other side effects.

Just because something's natural or works for someone else doesn't mean it's going to work for you, but I do celebrate your taking better care of yourself. We all need to practice good self care.

Other than that, and trying to eat as good as I can and getting moderate movement with intent into my routine, that's it for me. Oh and I have a fancy toothbrush too now. Not as fancy as yours but fancier than I used to have. :)

Ginger
03-31-2014, 05:15 AM
Thanks Gemme, I read the articles and I'll check the mg levels of what I'm taking.

Thanks, firegal. I take the baby aspirin because I'm terrified of getting strokes like my mom. Plus my partner had two strokes literally in front of me last fall, so I guess I'm super paranoid about it. My sister's doc told her to take it, because of our hereditary things. But I'll look into the dosage.

stargazingboi
03-31-2014, 08:06 AM
well ever one is different and requires different things. for me, i require vit d, omega 3, vit e, and vit b. i watch what i eat, and i drink protein shakes twice a day to help with muscle and weight management. i do strength training and yoga. i drink the recommended amount of water per my dr. i educate myself on my personal health issues and discuss a proper plan of action with my drs (making sure that they are all talking to each other and on the same page to avoid confusion and conflict).

Ginger
03-31-2014, 10:07 AM
well ever one is different and requires different things. for me, i require vit d, omega 3, vit e, and vit b. i watch what i eat, and i drink protein shakes twice a day to help with muscle and weight management. i do strength training and yoga. i drink the recommended amount of water per my dr. i educate myself on my personal health issues and discuss a proper plan of action with my drs (making sure that they are all talking to each other and on the same page to avoid confusion and conflict).

Thanks, Stargazingboi.

I'm wondering, what are vitamins e and b typically for?

stargazingboi
03-31-2014, 10:20 AM
Thanks, Stargazingboi.

I'm wondering, what are vitamins e and b typically for?

they are both used for heart health and energy levels

Ginger
03-31-2014, 11:37 AM
I wanted to add, I eat oatmeal EVERY day. If I don't have a bowl in the morning, I dump some in yogurt at night, with an orange. I do that to lower my cholesterol, which registered high for the first time in my life, this past January.

stargazingboi
03-31-2014, 02:05 PM
Thanks Gemme, I read the articles and I'll check the mg levels of what I'm taking.

Thanks, firegal. I take the baby aspirin because I'm terrified of getting strokes like my mom. Plus my partner had two strokes literally in front of me last fall, so I guess I'm super paranoid about it. My sister's doc told her to take it, because of our hereditary things. But I'll look into the dosage.

I can understand being worried after seeing close family members struggle with certain issues. I guess my question to you is...have your doctors given you reason to be so concerned?

I'm a firm believer in living a healthy life style and getting the most out of life. As we getting older we are more at risk for things to pop up like cholesterol, sugar levels, heart decease, etc. So, to make life changes that will promote a healthier and longer life is a wonderful thing.

Like anything you want to be sure you are informing your doctor of what you are doing. Let them check your vitamin levels and discuss how much you need to supplement. As stated before taking to many can be just as harmful as not having enough. Many folks that live in the North East do indeed have have a low vit D level because they spend so much time inside...some like myself that have health issues that deplete certain vitamins and therefore vitamins are required. The doctors are the ones that can tell you where you are and what you need to get to the ideal level for your body.

I'm not sure how your doctor is regarding such things, or even how comfortable you are with them...my thoughts are if they slide it to the side and have no interest or you don't feel comfortable enough or don't have enough faith in your doctor to have these conversations with...then change doctors.

I'm not sure what health coverage you may have..but mine pays for a nutritionist a couple times a year to help educate and promote health and healthy eating. They also assist in balancing out vit levels with certain types of foods to avoid supplements when possible..because lets face it getting the right vits naturally is always better than a pill.

Rockinonahigh
03-31-2014, 02:33 PM
I spend plenty of time out in the sun so my vitamin D is fine,I worship the sun and always will.I got put on probiotic's but didn't like them so now I eat a good brand of yogurt that helps with that.Eating healthy works really well too.Exersise in moderation is the order of the day plul doing my best fro a good attitude even if I slip up and turn into a grouch once and a while it dosen't last long.The hardest thing I have had to deal with is laying off ice cream,fried chicken and sodas.The sodas are now down to a couple of cans a day lots of water or juice I make in my blender.Now and again I make a power slush that keeps me feeling good,I love V 8 so I now make my own.My other otc is allergy pills.Getting good restful sleep is a high priority that is sometimes a hard sell with an over active mind plus pain issues I have but I do try.

Ginger
03-31-2014, 05:05 PM
Hi, Stargazingboi.

My doctor did a full blood and urine check in January and I showed high cholesterol (for the first time ever!), and low vitamin D.

Taking the vitamin D and calcium are my doctor's idea.

As for the cholesterol level, I didn't want to take anything for it so she agreed to give me three months to regulate it myself with diet and (increased) exercise. I will go back in April for another check and to see if my efforts worked.

That's a good idea, to see a nutritionist. I wonder if my insurance covers it.

I eat really healthy, lots of quinoa, leafy vegetables, fish, etc, and I always have except for binging on ice cream (which I haven't done for months).

The fish oil and baby aspirin, I take because my mom and sister take them. All three of us have high cholesterol and so far my sister has been able to control hers with diet. Our dad died last month and it was not related to any of these things.

I agree with you that it's always better to try to fix things with diet rather than supplements.

I wonder what foods have vitamin D in them. I should look that up.

Ginger

stargazingboi
03-31-2014, 06:46 PM
Hi, Stargazingboi.

My doctor did a full blood and urine check in January and I showed high cholesterol (for the first time ever!), and low vitamin D.

Taking the vitamin D and calcium are my doctor's idea.

As for the cholesterol level, I didn't want to take anything for it so she agreed to give me three months to regulate it myself with diet and (increased) exercise. I will go back in April for another check and to see if my efforts worked.

That's a good idea, to see a nutritionist. I wonder if my insurance covers it.

I eat really healthy, lots of quinoa, leafy vegetables, fish, etc, and I always have except for binging on ice cream (which I haven't done for months).

The fish oil and baby aspirin, I take because my mom and sister take them. All three of us have high cholesterol and so far my sister has been able to control hers with diet. Our dad died last month and it was not related to any of these things.

I agree with you that it's always better to try to fix things with diet rather than supplements.

I wonder what foods have vitamin D in them. I should look that up.

Ginger

top 10 foods highest in Vitamin D

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/high-vitamin-D-foods.php

Omega 3 (fish oil) helps reduce cholesterol...so it's a plus that you have decided to take it since you stated you're on the high side. I too have that issue, but found that after I lost the weight and took medication for it that I am unable to control mine as it is a genetic issue. My over all cholesterol number looks great, until you look at the break down. Diet and exercise can control it for many, so, I wish you luck with your journey with yours.

DapperButch
03-31-2014, 06:53 PM
Ginger, consider buying Omega 3 instead of Fish Oil (typically has Omega 3 and Omega 6). People think Omega 6 is all grand, but unless the supplement has the correct balance of Omega 6 to Omega 3 (which they usually don't), it is best to just grab the Omega 3. People are catching on to this, so this is why you see a number of Omega 3 bottles, when it used to be just "Fish Oil", you would see.

Ginger
03-31-2014, 07:06 PM
top 10 foods highest in Vitamin D

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/articles/high-vitamin-D-foods.php

Omega 3 (fish oil) helps reduce cholesterol...so it's a plus that you have decided to take it since you stated you're on the high side. I too have that issue, but found that after I lost the weight and took medication for it that I am unable to control mine as it is a genetic issue. My over all cholesterol number looks great, until you look at the break down. Diet and exercise can control it for many, so, I wish you luck with your journey with yours.

Thanks Stargazingboi. I just read the list of foods that help reduce cholesterol and I'm right on track!

Ginger
03-31-2014, 07:08 PM
Ginger, consider buying Omega 3 instead of Fish Oil (typically has Omega 3 and Omega 6). People think Omega 6 is all grand, but unless the supplement has the correct balance of Omega 6 to Omega 3 (which they usually don't), it is best to just grab the Omega 3. People are catching on to this, so this is why you see a number of Omega 3 bottles, when it used to be just "Fish Oil", you would see.

Dapper I just looked at the small print on the bottle and it says it has 300 mg of Omega 3 though the main label just blares out, Fish Oil. So I guess this is okay. :) Thanks

meridiantoo
04-29-2014, 11:47 PM
I started reading this thread a couple of months ago and did some research and this is what I came up with as far as supplementation and food:

Starting with a 7 day detox that consists of an organic mix of herbs/spices that promote the detoxification process:

blessed thistle/milk thistle
burdock
dandellion
fenugreek
garlic
oregano
tumeric
alfalfa
rhubarb
marshmallow
slippery elm
stinging nettle

Planning to drink mostly water and eat fish, veggies, and quinoa and a few select fruits while on the cleanse. Also continuing with matcha tea, 2 cups per day, morning and evening.

Supplements after detox include:

Full/comprehensive organic multivitamin with:
spirulina
digestive enzymes and probiotics
Liver support
Energy support

Mushroom capsules with shiitake, trametes, maitake, and cordyceps

Have not had bloodwork yet to confirm any other areas that need addressing such as high cholesterol, etc. That will be done soon and I may add or modify this according to the results.

Thanks for this thread - I've really enjoyed reading it.

Ginger
04-30-2014, 05:30 AM
Thanks, this is really interesting, Meridian. I eat mostly veggies, fruit, rice or quinoa and fish, plus lots of oatmeal and yogurt.

I hadn't thought of the herbs you mention. Will look into it.

Kelt
04-30-2014, 08:31 AM
Hi, I just read through the thread and it looks like you are doing an exemplary job of things. A couple of things I wanted to add;

The fish oil and the baby aspirin are both blood thinners that work in different ways so it would be best to let your Dr know you are on both. Lots of folks do this so it is probably fine but blood "slipperyness" is a specialty of its own for people with specific issues.

Also, I see that you are balancing your omega 3/6 ratio. Something to consider is your animal protein source. I've seen that factory raised and fed animals (including fish) can have the levels seriously out of whack so it might be a good idea to stick with organic land raised and wild caught on the fish.

Okay, one more. You are probably aware but vitamin D is actually a hormone and it comes in several ways;
"Vitamin D is a fat soluble vitamin that exists in various forms. The animal form is vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol) and the plant form is vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol). Vitamin D2 and D3 are not biologically active; they must be modified in the body to have any effect.
The active form of vitamin D is indeed a hormone and is known as 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 [1,25(OH)2D3] or calcitriol. Both vitamin D2 and D3 have been commercially synthesized and both forms seem to be effective at maintaining blood levels of vitamin D in the body."

A source that I use to check for science based verification on supplements and if they are proven to really do what is claimed is Examine.com (http://examine.com/), a really great site. Here is a link to the fish oil findings (http://examine.com/supplements/Fish+Oil/) as an example. Scroll down to the tables, they are quite good.

Congratulaions on all you are doing!

Ginger
04-30-2014, 05:56 PM
Thanks Kelt. I will try to find fresh caught or wild fish. The might have it at my grocery store.

And I didn't know that, about the fish oil and baby aspirin doing same thing.

And I didn't know vitamin D is like a hormone.

So much to know!!!

meridiantoo
05-01-2014, 08:49 PM
Thanks, this is really interesting, Meridian. I eat mostly veggies, fruit, rice or quinoa and fish, plus lots of oatmeal and yogurt.

I hadn't thought of the herbs you mention. Will look into it.

I did a lot of research before I got the supplements I did, so they are targeted towards specific things such as cleansing, detoxing, and antioxidants. I have had a pretty bad diet and smoked, so I am in need of that. Plus, I've had recent illnesses that made me think cleansing would be a good option for me. I don't necessarily think others should do it - I'm not even sure I should, but I've done cleanses before and felt amazing afterwards.

I don't know about taking any of these long-term, but I will only be using the multivitamin, mushroom capsules, and matcha tea after the cleanse.

Has anyone tried inositol?

meridiantoo
05-01-2014, 08:51 PM
A source that I use to check for science based verification on supplements and if they are proven to really do what is claimed is Examine.com (http://examine.com/), a really great site.

This is a great resource, thank you for sharing it.